Lincoln County, North Carolina
Lincoln county was formed in 1779 from the eastern part of Tryon County.
It was named for Benjamin Lincoln, a general in the American Revolutionary War.
In 1782, the southeastern part of Burke County was annexed to Lincoln County. In 1841, parts of Lincoln County and Rutherford County were combined to form Cleveland County. In 1842, the northern third of Lincoln County became Catawba County. In 1846, the southern half of what was left of Lincoln County became Gaston County. [source: Lincoln co's gov. website]
Its county seat is Lincolnton
Populated Places of Lincoln County:
Lincolnton (county seat)
Denver * Iron Station * Lowesville * Westport
Boger City * Laurel Hill * Polkadot * Pumpkin Center * Toluca (part) * Vale