Macon County, North Carolina
The county was formed in 1828 from the western part of Haywood County.
It was named for Nathaniel Macon, who represented North Carolina in the United States House of Representatives from 1791 to 1815 and in the United States Senate from 1815 to 1828.
In 1839 the western part of Macon County became Cherokee County.
In 1851 parts of Macon County and Haywood County were combined to form Jackson County.
The county seat is Franklin.
Franklin * Highlands
Aquone * Cullasaja * Etna * Gneiss * Holly Springs * Iotla * Kyle * Leatherman * Oak Grove *
Otto * Peek's Creek * Prentiss * Rainbow Springs * Scaly Mountain * West's Mill