WILLIAM A. BENTLEY, M. D.
The world has little use for the misanthrope. The universal truth of brotherhood is widely recognized also that he serves God best who serves his fellow men. There is no profession or line of business that calls for greater self-sacrifice or more devoted attention than the medical profession, and the successful physician is he who, through love of his fellowmen, gives his time and attention to the relief of human suffering Dr. Bentley is one of the ablest representatives of this noble calling in Bismarck, and is today at the head of the Northwestern Sanitorium in that city. His portrait is presented on another page.
He was born in Lebanon, New London county, Connecticut, November 30, 1837, a son of Eleazer and Fidelia (Henry) Bentley, natives of Connecticut and Massachusetts, respectively. His father also studied medicine but never engaged in practice and for many years taught school. He died in his native state in 1865, and his wife in 1867. In their family were three sons and one daughter. One son was drowned off Long Island in 1852, and the other brother of our subject is now a dentist at Hopkinton, Iowa, while the sister is still a resident of Connecticut.
Reared in his native state, Dr. Bentley began his education in its public schools; and later attended H. A. Balcom's Private English and Classical Academy, and Bacon's Academy at Colchester, Connecticut. At the age of seventeen he commenced life as a teacher in the west and was thus employed for some time. He became a resident of Minnesota in 1856 and in 1860 removed to Iowa, where during the Civil war he enlisted in November, 1861, in Company H, North Iowa Volunteer Infantry, under Colonel William Vanderer, whose regiment was known as the Iowa Greyhounds after their march of sixty miles on the 5th of March, 1862, to participate in the battle of Pea Ridge, which commenced the following day. The Doctor was in the service one year, and was with General Curtiss in Arkansas. Besides the battle of Pea Ridge he took part in number of small engagements. He was discharged on account of disability.
In 1863, Dr. Bentley went to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he engaged in newspaper work for some time. He commenced reading medicine in 1867, attending a local school in St. Paul, Minnesota, and in 1869 entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, from which he was graduated the same year. For a time he was engaged in practice with Dr. Woodworth, in St. Paul, and then moved to Rush City, Minnesota, where he remained for several years. In July, 1877, he came to Bismarck, North Dakota, where he has since engaged in practice with marked success, not only in the city but throughout the surrounding country and towns along the line of the Northern Pacific Railroad. In connection with his private practice he also conducted the Northwestern Sanitarium as proprietor and manager.
In 1860 Dr. Bentley was united in marriage with Miss Emily A. White, a native of Massachusetts, who died in 1894, leaving five children, namely; Hattie F., Nellie S., Emma E., Charles A. and Miriam H. The Doctor is a charter member of the Chicago Orificial Surgical Association, and is acknowledged to be one of the best and most skillful physicians and surgeons of the state. He served as physician at the state penitentiary for five years, and has been county and city physician several terms. He is also a prominent factor in public affairs, and was mayor of Bismarck for four years. He is president of the board of health of Burleigh county, and has been president of the united States pension examining board since 1891, prior to which time he was its secretary for ten years. He was president of the board of trustees of the State Soldiers' Home during the period of its construction and for some time afterwards, and was president of the board of trustees in charge of state capital lands and property from 1889 to 1896. He organized the First Regiment Dakota National Guards, under Governor Pierce, and became its colonel, which rank he held for seven years. He was then commissioned adjutant-general by Governor Burke and served as such for two years. Socially the Doctor is a man of considerable prominence; is past grand master of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for both North and South Dakota; and past grand treasurer of the Masonic Grand Lodge. He is a thirty-second-degree Mason and is in line for the thirty-third degree. He is also an influential member of the Grand Army of the Republic and past department commander of the state. Politically he is a Republican, but is an advocate of the coinage of silver on an equal basis with gold. While at Rush City, Minnesota, he was elected to the state legislature and was a member of the North Dakota legislature in 1893. Wherever he goes the Doctor wins friends and has the happy faculty of being able to retain them. In 1897 Dr. Bentley was the nominee of the opposition caucus in election for United States senator for the state of North Dakota, and received twenty-seven votes, which was the entire vote of the opposition to Senator Hansbrough. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
HORACE B. BOGUE
The man who was content to go through the Civil war as a high private, doing his duty nobly and unflinchingly on the field of battle or in camp, is the man who to-day is serving to the best of his ability --- and that ability is of superior order --- as sheriff of Burleigh county, North Dakota, making his home in Bismarck, where he located in pioneer days. Mr. Bogue is a native of Illinois, his birth occurring in Ogle county, October 7, 1843. His parents, Virgil and Catherine (Nichols) Bogue, were natives of New York and Canada, respectively. The father, who was a lawyer by profession, located in Ogle county, Illinois, about 1831, or 1832, and became one of its most prominent and influential citizens, serving as county judge for seventeen years. He also entered land there and improved a farm. He died in Ogle county, in December, 1868, and his wife passed away in 1867. In their family were seven children, two sons and five daughters. In the county of his nativity our subject grew to manhood and was educated. He joined the boys in blue during the Rebellion, in March, 1862, enlisting in Company A, Sixty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was captured at Harper's Ferry, but was at once paroled and participated in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain, the siege of Atlanta, the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tennessee, and Fort Fisher and Goldsboro, North Carolina. Fortunately he escaped without wounds and after three years and six months of arduous service was honorably discharged.
Returning to his home in Ogle county, Illinois, he engaged in farming there for one year and then went to Ashland, Nebraska, where he broke prairie for some time. From there he moved to Merryville, Kansas, and in 1872 came to Bismarck, North Dakota, in company with Dr. Burleigh, who was then engaged in building the Northern Pacific Railroad into this place. After working for the railroad company for two months he entered land near Bismarck in 1874. For four years he engaged in clerking here in a grocery house and then opened a general store of his own, which he successfully conducted until 1890, until appointed postmaster of Bismarck, filling that office for three years and a half. He was elected county assessor in 1878 and in 1898, was elected sheriff, which office he is now filling in a most creditable and acceptable manner. While serving in that capacity he hung the second man executed in that state and the first in Burleigh county. He has always affiliated with the Republican party and is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Grand Army of the Republic. He has met with well-deserved success since coming to this state and as one of the representative citizens and honored pioneers of Bismarck is certainly deserving of prominent mention in its history. In 1876 Mr. Bogue married Miss Catherine Elliott, a native of Canada, and to them have been born two children: Gilbert F. and Mary E. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
CHARLES E. CRUM occupies a prominent place as one of the most extensive farmers and stock raisers of Burleigh county, North Dakota. He makes his home in township 139, range 77, where he located in the early days of the settlement of that region, and has made a pronounced success of his life work. Our subject was born on a farm in Cass county, Illinois, in 1857. His father, Thomas J. Crum, was born in Illinois, and was of German descent, and his grandfather, James Crum, was a farmer and stock raiser. The mother of our subject, who was Sarah Henderson, prior to her marriage, was born in Illinois. The parents were married in Illinois and our subject was the eldest of a family of eleven children born to the union. Mr. Crum attended country school, Protestant Methodist College, at Adrian, Michigan, the Illinois State University and graduated from the Jacksonville Business College and English Training School in 1877. He went to Nebraska in 1878 and engaged in farming and stock raising one year, and in 1889 worked for J.O. Bone, live stock and commission merchant of Chicago, and in the spring of 1882 went to Burleigh county, North Dakota, and worked in Bismarck one year at the Merchant's Hotel, and in that year located land and in the spring of 1883 began operations thereon. He built a claim shanty and had six head of horses and some machinery and his first crop was hailed and dried out. He had a good crop in 1884 and has prospered since that time. He followed grain raising principally the first five years and in 1888 began stock raising, and he now follows the latter line of agriculture extensively and in 1898 started sheep culture and now has eight or nine hundred head. He now has a farm of one thousand acres, with one hundred and fifty acres under cultivation and the rest for stock range and hay and he has all improvements for operating a model farm, making one of the finest pieces of property in the county.
Our subject was married, in 1883, to F. Anna De Lapp, a native of Illinois. Her father, John M. De Lapp, was of French descent. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Crum, who are named as follows: Mary Ethel, born in 1888; Sarah A., born in 1889; Roscoe, born in 1891, and Howard, born in 1893. Mr. Crum has served as township treasurer sixteen years and takes an active part in public matters in his township and county. He is a Democrat politically and is earnest in his convictions. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
THOMAS J. CRUM
Thomas J. Crum, of Virginia, Illinois, was born within one mile of his present residence, July 9, 1835. He is the eldest living son of James and Christina (Ream) Crum. (Parental history is given in the history of James Crum elsewhere in this book.) Thomas was raised to manhood on a farm and attended the subscription schools of the neighborhood. He has always lived on the farm given him by his father upon attaining his majority. To this he has added until he now has 450 acres in this farm, besides 800 acres of land in Burleigh county, North Dakota. He has been a resident here for over fifty years and has witnessed wonderful changes in the country. He remembers very well when there was but very little improved land near him. He is a Democrat in politics. He was married March, 1857, to Miss Sarah A. Henderson, daughter of William and Lucinda Henderson, who were among the early settlers in this, then Morgan county. She was the eldest of twelve children, seven of whom are now living. The mother died in Morgan county and the father in Henry county. Mr. and Mrs. Crum have had eleven children, nine of whom are still living, namely; Charles, married, operating the Dakota farm; Theresa M., wife of Edward D. Sommers, resides at Colorado Springs, Colorado; Oscar M. is in the publishing business at Jacksonville, Illinois; William S., a wholesale grocer in Joliet, Illinois; Ollie, now Mrs. Strong, resides at Winfield, Kansas, husband a farmer; Eben Ross, Mary L., Henry Obed, and Thomas Austin are still at home. A pair of twins died in infancy. The family are members of the Protestant Methodist church. Mr. Crum is an Ancient Odd Fellow, lodge having surrendered its charger during the late war. The Crum family is quite extensively represented in this county, where they are well and favorably known citizens who have by their industry accumulated a comfortable property. The aged father, now in his eighty-sixth year, is one of the solid landmarks of early pioneer days in Cass county. [From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 312-313] Note: Related Crum bios are on Genealogy Trails Schuyler County, Illinois
CORNELIUS D. EDICK, the well-known and popular county superintendent of schools of Burleigh county, North Dakota, and a representative citizen of Bismarck, is a native of Oswego county, New York, born June 26, 1844. His parents Daniel and Minerva (Richards) Edick, were natives of New York and Massachusetts, respectively. The father, who is a harness and shoemaker by trade, is still a resident of the Empire state. Our subject passed his boyhood and youth in New York and in the common and high schools of that state he acquired his literary education. On leaving home he went to Syracuse, New York, and later to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the mercantile trade. In 1883, he came to Bismarck, North Dakota, and entered land in Burleigh county, proved up his claim and followed farming for five or six years. At the end of that period he took up residence in Bismarck, where he has since made his home. While still a resident of New York, Mr. Edick was married, in 1855, to Miss Matilda E. Soule, a native of that state. In his social relations he is a Mason, and in his political affiliations is a stalwart Republican, taking an active and prominent part in the campaigns of Burleigh county. In 1892 he was elected county auditor, which office he most creditably filled for one term and then after traveling for two years returned to Bismarck and in 1896 was elected county superintendent of schools. Being re-elected in 1898, he is the present incumbent in that office and has also served his fellow citizens in other minor positions. Genial and pleasant in manner, he makes a popular official and gains the confidence and high regard of all with whom he comes in contact. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
GEORGE P. FLANNERY
FLANNERY George Perry, Minneapolis. Res 2416 Blaisdell, office 809 N Y Life bldg. Lawyer. Born Feb 12, 1852 in Marquette county Wis, son of Michael and Catherine (Flynn) Flannery. Went to Bismarck Dak in 1874 as atty for N P Ry; remained and practiced law until 1887; asst U's atty for Dak 3 years; city atty for Bismarck 4 years; dist atty 6th judicial district Dak 2 years; pres Board of Education Bismarck 4 years; member Flannery & Cooke lawyers Minneapolis 1885 to date. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks]
HENRY C. FLANNERY
FLANNERY Henry C, Minneapolis. Res 2416 Blaisdell av. Office 804 N Y Life bldg. Lawyer. Born Apr 4, 1879 in Bismarck N D, son of George P and Alice (Green) Flannery. Educated in public and high schools Minneapolis; graduated from U of M, A B 1902; LL B 1904. Engaged in practice of his profession to date. Member M N G; Hennepin County Bar Assn; Roosevelt and Lafayette clubs; Phi Delta Theta and Delta Chi college fraternities. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks]
JOHN P. FRENCH, Jr.
As an all around prominent man of Gibbs township, Burleigh county, our subject is entitled to a foremost place. He is a young man of firm determination, enterprising and progressive, and ably conducts one of the finest stock farms of that region. Mr. French was born in Augusta, Maine, March 28, 1874. His father, John P. French, Sr., a native of New Hampshire, was a stock dealer, miner and speculator. The grandfather of our subject, Nicholas French, was also born in New Hampshire. The genealogical tree is easily traced back to three brothers by the name of French, who came to America in the Mayflower. The father of our subject had brothers who served in the war of 1812. The mother, Anna E. Downs prior to her marriage, was of Scotch descent, born and raised in Maine. Mr. French is the youngest in a family of three children. At the age of ten years he came with his parents to North Dakota, and settled in Burleigh county, where the father engaged in farming. He had but limited means, and the first few years were almost total failures, the crops of but four years in sixteen proving profitable. He began sheep raising in the year of 1886, with sixty-three head and made a success of this line of agriculture despite the fact that wolves destroyed as high as forty head in a single night. He built a small house and straw barn and raised but enough to feed the sheep and horses the first few years. Our subject assumed charge of the ranch when he attained his majority, and having conducted it successfully has three thousand two hundred sheep. He is now branching into cattle raising. He owns four hundred and eighty acres of land, and controls six sections aside from the home ranch, and is one of the most extensive ranchmen of that community. During the winters of 1892 and 1893 Mr. French attended the Dirigo Business College of Augusta, Maine, being graduated from that institution in March, 1893. Mr. French was married, in 1898, to Grace J. Falkenstein, a native of West Virginia. Her father, Edmund Falkenstein, was also born and raised in West Virginia. Mrs. French was engaged in teaching in Burleigh county for several years, and was widely known in educational circles. Mr. French is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Brotherhood of American Yeomen. He has served as school clerk for the past eight years and is one of the rising young men of Burleigh county. Politically he is a Republican. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
FRANKLIN JAMES FOX, of the twenty-seventh legislative district, was born on a farm in Winneshiek county, Iowa. March 28. 1861. He acquired his education in the public schools of Plymouth Rock, Iowa. He came to Dakota territory in 1877 and settled in Lake county, shortly after moving to Miner county. In 1902 he came to North Dakota, making his residence at Bismarck. In Miner county, S. D., he held the office of sheriff for seven years. He is married and has one son. He is a republican and was elected representative in 1910 and again in 1912. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
THOMAS HALL, secretary of state, was born at Clifton, Mich., June 6, 1869. and came to North Dakota in June, 1883, with his parents who settled near Jamestown. Entered the employ of the Northern Pacific Railway company at Jamestown and was later transferred to Mandan. Went to Fargo in 1892, and resided there sixteen years, being employed as railway clerk and entering the newspaper business. He received his education in the common schools of the state and at Concordia College, Moorehead, Minn., afterwards taking a business course. Was secretary of the Progressive Republican Central Committee in the campaigns of 1906, 1908 and 1910. Was elected secretary of the State Board of Railway Commissioners in 1909 and moved to Bismarck, where he has resided since. Was married to Miss Anna M. Grafenstein, September 1, 1897, and there are four children, one son and three daughters Richard, Lucille, Ellen and Edna. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
HARVEY HARRIS, deceased, formerly chairman of the board of county commissioners of Burleigh county, and who was successfully engaged in the real estate and loan business in Bismarck up to the time of his death, did much to promote the commercial activity, advance the general welfare and secure the material development of the city and surrounding section of the state. As a business man he was enterprising, energetic and always abreast of the times, and gained a comfortable competence. Born in Butler county, Ohio, December 12, 1852, Mr. Harris is a son of John H. and Mary A. (Rose) Harris, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania, respectively. The father, who was a farmer by occupation, died in the Buckeye state in 1869, and there the mother also passed away in 1896. Our subject's paternal grandfather was born in Ireland and died in Butler county, Ohio. Harvey Harris, of this review, was one of a family of six children, having four brothers and one sister. He was reared and educated in Butler county, Ohio, and there engaged in farming until eighteen years of age, when he commenced teaching and successfully followed that profession for five years. He then engaged in general merchandising at Oxford, Ohio, until 1883, when he came to Bismarck, North Dakota, and embarked in the real estate and loan business, which he successfully followed until his death, which occurred in Bismarck May 16, 1900. On the 13th of November 1881, Mr. Harris was married, in Ohio, to Eliza N. Jackson, a native of that state. Both are earnest and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Bismarck, and Mr. Harris served as superintendent of the Sunday school for years. He was a life-long Republican, a member of the county committee and secretary of the same. His support was never withheld from any enterprise calculated to prove of public benefit, and he was a member of the board of education for twelve years and president of the same for eight years. He was elected county commissioner in 1894, re-elected in 1897, and has served as chairman of the board all but the first year in office. He was also a prominent and influential member of the constitutional convention and a member of the joint committee that divided the two states. Mrs. Harris still makes her home in Bismarck. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
JOHN P. HOAGLAND is an honored pioneer and a prominent contractor and builder of Bismarck, who has taken an active part in promoting its substantial improvement and material development. An adopted son of America, his loyalty is above question and his labors in the interests of the city have been most effective and beneficial. Mr. Hoagland was born in central Sweden October 29, 1840, a son of John and Mary Hoagland, who spent their entire lives in that country. Our subject was reared to manhood in his native land and there learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed in Sweden until 1868, when he emigrated to America, landing in Quebec, Canada. He proceeded at once to Red Wing, Minnesota, and remained in that state until coming to Bismarck, in 1873, arriving here in May, of that year, on the first train run into the place. For two days and a half he had stopped some miles out of Bismarck, waiting for the track to be completed. Here Mr. Hoagland found employment at his trade and soon went to work on Fort Lincoln, which was then being built, remaining there until its completion. The Indians at that time were very troublesome and our subject had several exciting adventures with them, being chased to the fort by small war parties. At one time, in company with a number of other carpenters employed there, he left the fort one bright Sunday morning in search of wild berries, as fruit of all kinds was very scarce and even potatoes were considered quite a luxury. They had gone, perhaps, a mile from the post and had found an abundance of June berries in a small ravine. After eating all they were able to dispose of, they lay around on the grass enjoying the sunshine and passing the time by shooting at blackbirds with their revolvers. By the merest chance Mr. Hoagland happened to look up over the hills and discovered a large band of Indians stealthily approaching them. As our subject and his party were only armed with revolvers, their only safety lay in flight. With the others he ran in close pursuit by the Indians for perhaps a half-mile and then concealed himself in a patch of brush where he was soon joined by the rest of the party. They remained in hiding there for some time and then cautiously made their way by a circuitous route back to the fort. Mr. Hoagland says he was never so badly scared in his life and it required some time for his heart to resume its normal action.
In 1876 he assisted in building the fort at Standing Rock, where he was employed for about two years, the lumber for its construction being sawed from cottonwood logs cut on the river bottom. When that work was completed he returned to Bismarck, where he has since engaged in contracting and building with marked success, and also conducts a lumber yard. He has assisted in building most of the leading business houses of the city, including the First National Bank building, the Center block and the Dakota block. In connection with his other business he has also engaged in farming to some extent. Upright and reliable in all things, he conscientiously fulfills his part of every contract and is an important factor in the business circles of the city. Through his own well-directed efforts he has become the owner of a handsome property. He takes a deep and commendable interest in public affairs and does all in his power to advance the interests of his adopted city, giving two thousand dollars toward getting the capitol located at Bismarck. In political sentiment he is a Republican. He was elected county treasurer on an independent ticket, but was re-elected as a Republican, serving in all four years with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of the public. A portrait of Mr. Hoagland will be found on another page. [Compendium of History and Biography, Transcribed by Christi Boyer]
JOHN HOMAN, Bismarck, of the twenty-seventh legislative district was born at Schuylkill Haven, Pa., Sept. 26th, 1853, and received his education in the high school of Perrysville, Ohio. Came to North Dakota in 1882, arriving at Jamestown, and in 1883 moved to Bismarck where he has resided since, engaging in the occupation of baker and restaurant keeper for twenty-one years. He has held the position of city treasurer for the city of Bismarck one term. He is married and has four children, two sons and two daughters. He was elected representative as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
GENERAL ALEXANDER HUGHES, of whom a portrait will be found on another page, is one of the ablest lawyers practicing in the state, is a recognized leader in the Republican party, and is an honored veteran of the Civil war. A native of Canada, he was born in Brandford, September 30, 1846, and is a son of Christopher and Frances (Pike) Hughes, who were born in the north of Ireland and emigrated to Canada about 1801 or 1802. In 1846 they removed to Columbia county, Wisconsin, where the father entered a government tract of land. He was a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, and was a civil engineer, which profession he followed to some extent throughout his entire life. He died in Wisconsin in 1867 and his wife in 1871. To them were born thirteen children, six sons and seven daughters, of who only our subject and four sisters are now living. Two of the sons died from wounds received in the Civil war.
General Hughes was reared and educated in Wisconsin, attending first the common schools of that state, which at that time were much inferior to those of the present day. Feeling his country needed his services during the dark days of the Rebellion, he enlisted in Company B, Seventh Wisconsin Infantry, which was assigned to the First Division, First corps, Army of the Potomac. With this command he participated in the battles of Gainesville, the second Bull Run, the first and second battles of Fredericksburg, and the engagement at Chancellorsville and Brady Station. He was slightly wounded at Gainesville; was shot through the right arm at South Mountain, and in the last day of the battle of Gettysburg was wounded in the left side. Subsequently he took part in the seven days' battle of the Wilderness, where he was wounded in the right leg, and received a heavy blow from a musket at Spottsylvania Court House, but did not go to the Hospital. During the battle of North Anne river he was seriously wounded, a shot entering his left side and coming out on the right. He lay in a helpless condition for nearly two years.
On leaving the service, General Hughes realized the necessity for a good education, and entered Wayland Academy, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, and later took a course at Bryant & Stratton's Business College, Milwaukee. He was married in 1869 to Miss Mary E. Higinbotham, a native of Indiana, and a granddaughter of Judge Eckles, of Indiana, who was later chief justice of Utah territory. Her father, Samuel Higinbotham, was a surgeon in the Eighty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry during the Civil war, and died in the service in Tennessee. To our subject and his wife were born five sons and one daughter, namely: George A. and Edmund A. both residents of Fargo, North Dakota; Harry A., who died in 1883; William V., Frank C. and Helen A., all at home.
General Hughes located at Monticello, Iowa, in 1868, and commenced the practice of law. The following year he was elected superintendent of schools for the county of Jones. In April, 1871, he removed, with his family, to Elk Point, in the territory of Dakota, now the state of South Dakota, and soon gained high rank in his profession. In 1872 he was elected a member of the upper house of the territorial legislature, and upon its organization was elected presiding officer of said body. In 1880 he was appointed, by the President, superintendent of the census for the territory of Dakota. In 1881 he was appointed receiver for the United States land office at Yankton, which office he resigned in 1883 to accept the office of attorney-general. In the year 1883 he was appointed, by the legislative assembly, a member of the committee to select the site for the seat of government and to erect a capitol building upon such site. When the commission was organized he was elected as president. The capitol building at Bismarck was constructed under his immediate direction and supervision. He removed to Bismarck in 1883 with the other territorial officers and continued to reside at said place until 1899, when he removed to Fargo. He represented the Bismarck district in the higher branch of the legislative assembly for two terms, and was chairman of the committee on judiciary. Many of the most important laws enacted during the past thirty years in the territory of Dakota and in the state of North Dakota were prepared by him. For sixteen years he filled the position of assistant counsel of the Northern Pacific Railway Company to the entire satisfaction of the company. He was also the first adjutant-general of the territory of Dakota. During the last few years he has given considerable time to business affairs, and is president of the Fargo-Edison Company and of the Hughes Electric Company, whose plants at Fargo, Bismarck and Dickinson furnish light, power and heat for those cities. The General is now one of the most active and best-known Republicans in the northwest. He has been a member of the territorial and state central and executive committees almost continuously for the past twenty-seven years. He was a delegate to the national Republican conventions in 1872, 1876, 1880 and in 1896. He is recognized as an able lawyer, a graceful, logical and forcible speaker, and is considered especially able in the discussion of legal questions before the courts. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
EDWARD A. HUGHES, of the twenty-seventh legislative district, was born at Elk Point, S. D., October 15, 1873, and received his education in the common schools of South Dakota, and at Carleton College, Northfield. Minn. Came to North Dakota in 1883 and has been engaged in the electrical light and power business. He has never before held a political office. He is married. He was elected to his present position us a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
MARSHALL HENRY JEWELL, publisher of the Bismarck Tribune, the oldest newspaper in North Dakota --- the weekly edition being established in June, 1873, and the daily in April, 1881 --- was born in Hector, on the banks of the Seneca Lake, in New York state, April 29, 1857. His father was a newspaper man, and back in the 50s published the Seneca County Sentinel at Ovid, New York. In 1858 Mr. Jewell's parents moved to Michigan and were among the early pioneers in the region north of Grand Rapids. Mr. Jewell, Sr., in order to support his family while making an opening in the pineries, worked much of the time at the printer's trade in Grand Rapids, the nearest town, walking through a dense forest a distance of over thirty miles every Saturday night to spend Sunday at home. These were the surroundings of the first ten years of the life of the subject of this sketch. Obtaining such education as was possible in the old log school house, he attended school in the village of Cedar Springs. Mr. Jewell's parents moved to Wheaton, a suburb of Chicago, where Mr. Jewell attended the college for a brief period. During his early school days in Cedar Springs Mr. Jewell found opportunity to work after hours in the Clipper office, and was thus enabled to learn the printer's trade. He went to Chicago and in 1876 was made foreman of the Daily Courier, and later the telegraph editor of the Telegraph, on whose presses the first issue of the Daily News was printed. Associated with Stanley Hunter, Mr. Hunter came to Bismarck in 1878 and secured control of the Weekly Tribune from its founder, Colonel C. A. Lounsberry. He was associated with these gentlemen for a few years, succeeding to their interests in 1883. The Bismarck Tribune is now widely known as one of the leading and most influential newspapers in the Northwest, while the publishing department, which has handled the state printing since 1883, when the capital of Dakota was located in Bismarck, is one of the most complete of the kind in country. Mr. Jewell has always taken an active part in politics as well as business, and is a familiar figure and prominent factor in all state Republican gatherings. He was chosen secretary of the Republican state committee in 1893 and again in the McFinley campaign of 1896. He has a wife and one son, and owns one of the comfiest homes in the capital city. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
MILTON D. KING
This gentleman is one of the most extensive farmers of Burleigh county, and is widely known as a citizen of honest industry and excellent business capacity. He was born on a farm in Frannklis county, New York in 1870. The father of our subject, Chester King, was a farmer by occupation, and he served four years in the Civil war and received a gunshot wound after he had surrendered to the enemy, from the effects of which he died in August, 1898. The grandfather of our subject, John B. King, also served in the Civil war and was wounded and died in Libby prison.
Our subject's father was a contractor for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, and supplied ties for the construction of the road, and he went to Minnesota in 1873 and lived at Aiken for some time, and in the fall of 1875 moved with his family to Fort Berthold, North Dakota, and he was Indian farmer here two years, and had many experiences with the red men. He removed to Bismarck in 1877, and conducted the Capital Hotel there two years, and then began farming, and in 1880 moved his family to the new home fifteen miles east of Bismarck, since which time our subject has resided on the home farm. The father conducted the dairy business and engaged extensively in that line, and our subject now keeps from twenty to thirty cows for that purpose. He also engages in stock raising extensively, and has one hundred and forty head of cattle, and since 1895 our subject has conducted and had full charge of the farm. The home farm originally consisted of three hundred and twenty acres, but has been increased to six hundred and forty acres of which four hundred acres is cultivated, and Mr. King operates from five to six hundred acres of land. He has a complete set of buildings on the home farm, and of such nature as entitle it to rank among the best improved farms of Burleigh county. He has sixty horses, good machinery and conducts a model farm.
Mr. King attended Carleton College at Northfield, Minnesota, in 1889, 91, 92 and 95, and then assumed management of the home farm. He was married, September 27, 1898, to Miss Mabel Murrey, who was born at White Earth, Minnesota, and was raised among the Indians. Her father, A. K. Murrey, was a farmer, and was of Scotch-Irish descent. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. King, whose birth is dated July 20, 1899. Our subject has held numerous township offices, and is prominent in local affairs. He and wife are members of the Congregational church and are highly esteemed in the community in which they make their home. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
CLARENCE B. LITTLE
Prominent among the business men of Bismarck, North Dakota, is this gentleman, who for seventeen years has been closely identified with the history of the city, while his name is inseparably connected with its financial records. The banking interests are well represented by him, for he is to-day at the head of the First National Bank, the leading moneyed institution of the place. He is a man of keen discrimination and sound judgment, and his executive ability of and excellent management have brought to the concern with which he is connected a high degree of success. Mr. Little was born in Merrimack county, New Hampshire, November 18, 1857, a son of George P. and Elizabeth A. (Knox) Little, who have been life-long residents of that state, where the father is still extensively engaged in farming. Reared in his native state, our subject completed his literary education in Dartmouth College, and in 1879 entered the law department of Harvard University. In 1882 he came Bismark, North Dakota, and entered upon the practice of law, which he followed for four years. In 1885 Mr. Little was elected director of the Capital National Bank, and two years later was elected president, which position he held until the bank was consolidated with the First National Bank, in February, 1896. He has been connected with other business enterprises in the town and county, and owns a state bank at Braddock and another at Washburn, North Dakota, being president of both. He also conducts a lumber business at the latter place. The First National Bank of Bismarck, of which he is now president, was organized in August, 1879, with Walter Mann, of St. Paul, Minnesota, as president, and George H. Fairchild as cashier. The capital stock at the time was fifty thousand dollars, but was afterward increased to one hundred thousand dollars. A year after its organization, Mr. Mann retired and Mr. Fairchild was made president and W. A. Dillon, cashier. In 1888 Asa Fisher was elected president and Mr. Dillon retained as cashier. On the 6th of May, 1895, the present officers were elected: C. B. Little, president, and S. M. Pye, assistant cashier. Under their excellent management the bank has steadily prospered. It is one of the solid financial institutions of the state, and does a general banking business and also issues foreign exchange.In 1885 Mr. Little was united in marriage with Caroline (Little) Little, of Boston, Massachusetts, and to them was born two children: Veroque M. and George M.. Socially, our subject is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, and is past commander and was also deputy grand commander in territorial times. As a Republican he takes an active and influential part in political affairs, has been a member of the state central committee for years, and was chairman of the last Republican state convention. In 1884 he was elected judge of probate; was re-elected two years later, and the same year was also appointed inspector general of territorial troops, in which capacity he served for three years. He was formerly president of the school board of Bismarck, and is one of the most popular and prominent members of the state senate, to which he was first elected in 1889 and has been four times re-elected, being president pro tem, of that august body at present time. He is a pleasant, genial and polished gentleman of high social qualities and is very popular, having a most extensive circle of friends and acquaintances throughout the state. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Janice Louie]
HON. ALEXANDER C. McGILLIVRAY, register of the United States land office, at Bismarck, and state senator from the thirty-first district, is prominent both in political and business circles. He is a native of Canada, born in Toronto, Ontario, January 24, 1859. His parents, Neil and Sarah (McCollum) McGillivray, are both natives of Scotland, and when children removed to Canada, where they now reside. Our subject was reared and educated in Canada, and on coming to the United States, in 1877, first located in Chicago. For the following five years he was a traveling salesman for a New York dry goods house, representing the firm in Illinois, Michigan and Indiana. In 1882 he came to Bismarck, North Dakota, where he engaged in clerking for one year and then operated a general store at Weller, this state, which he conducted for nearly two years. During the following ten years he carried on a similar business at Dickinson, North Dakota, was also forwarding agent for the Black Hills freight line, and was president of the Lehigh Coal Company for some years. He now owns and conducts a stock ranch at Indian Springs, where he raises Aberdeen and Angus cattle, having the largest herd of those breeds in the West. He is also engaged in breeding a high grade of both draft and driving horses, and as a stock raiser is meeting with most excellent success. On the 11th of January, 1888, Mr. McGillivray, was united in marriage with Miss Mary J. Montague, a resident of Caro, Michigan, but a native of London, Ontario. Since becoming a citizen of this country he has been identified with the Republican party, and has been a member of the state central and executive committees. He served as county commissioner of Stark county for three years, and since 1889 he represented the thirty-first district in the state senate, of which he is now a prominent and influential member. In 1899 he was appointed register of the land office at Bismarck and is filling that position in a most creditable manner. He is a man of excellent business and executive ability, whose sound judgment, unflagging enterprise and capable management have brought to him a well-merited success. In manner he is pleasant and cordial, which, combined with his sterling worth, makes him one of the popular citizens of his community. [Compendium of History and Biography, Transcribed by Christi Boyer]
GENERAL ELLIOTT S. MILLER, the adjutant-general of North Dakota, has attained distinctive preferment in military and political circles, and is one of the representative and prominent citizens of Bismarck. He was born in McClean county, Illinois, November 15, 1846, a son of Sanford C. Miller, a native of Harrisonbury, West Virginia, who removed to Illinois in 1836 and died in that state. The mother died during the infancy of our subject and he never knew her given name. General Miller was reared and educated in Bloomington, McClean county, Illinois, and when the Civil war broke out he enlisted, in August, 1861, in Company B, Thirty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He took an active part in the West Virginia campaign, and in the engagements in the Shenandoah Valley, including the battle of Winchester, in March, 1862. After the battle of Antietam the regiment was transferred to South Carolina and was in the battle of Morris Island. They veteranized January 1, 1864, and were brought back to General Butler's army on the James river. Later they participated in the battles of Petersburg and Richmond and in the famous charge on Fort Gregg, and were in the engagement at Appomattox just before the surrender of General Lee. The government presented the regiment with their eagle in recognition of the gallant charge on Fort Gregg. General Miller was wounded in the head on Morris Island, in 1864, and before Richmond was wounded in the right arm and also in the shoulder and foot, being confined to the hospital for four months. He was mustered out as a sergeant December 16, 1865. Returning to Illinois, he made his home there until 1879, and the following year came to Jamestown, North Dakota, where he took up a homestead. He did not engage in farming, but followed contracting and building there for several years. In 1885 he was made quartermaster of the First North Dakota State Troops, and in 1891 was commissioned colonel of the regiment. He was appointed adjutant-general by Governor Roger Allen in 1895, and then removed to Bismarck, where he has since resided. He has met with marked success during his residence in this state and has also gained the respect and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact either in public or private life.He has been a life-long Republican and has taken an active part in the councils of his party. He is a prominent Mason, a Knight Templar and a member of the Mystic Shrine, and is also an honored member of the Grand Army of the Republic, of which he has been inspector general of the department of North Dakota. He has also been a delegate to the national encampment from North Dakota, and was commander of W. H. Seward Post, of Jamestown, for five years. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
WILLIAM S. MOORHOUSE, an honored veteran of the Civil war, and the present efficient and popular auditor of Burleigh county, North Dakota, whose home is in Bismarck, was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, January 26, 1840. His parents, Edward and Margaret (Lauson) Moorhouse, were both natives of Yorkshire, England, and came to the United States in 1829, locating in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, where the father died in 1854. By occupation he was a coal merchant. The mother is still living at the advanced age of ninety-one years and makes her home in Brownsville, Pennsylvania. In their family were seven sons and four daughters, all living in Pennsylvania with the exception of our subject. In this native state William S. Moorhouse grew to manhood and acquired a good practical education. On leaving home in 1857 he went to Atchison county, Kansas, where he clerked in a hardware store for a time. He took an active part in the border warfare, and on breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in 1861, in Company B, Seventh Kansas Cavalry. He remained in the service for three years and six months and participated in the siege of Corinth, the Vicksburg campaign, the second battle of Corinth, the battles of Iuka and Tupelo, Mississippi, and a large number of smaller engagements. Fortunately he was never wounded nor taken prisoner, and at the close of the war, in 1865, was mustered out as captain of his company, to which rank he attained by meritorious service on field of battle. Returning to Atchison Mr. Moorhouse resided there until appointed adjutant-general of Kansas in 1869, and while serving in that office during that and the following year he made his home in Topeka. Going back to Atchison, he continued to reside there until coming to Bismarck, North Dakota, in 1883. Here he engaged in the hardware trade for twelve years. In 1894 he was elected auditor of Burleigh county and is now serving his third term in that office. He was also on the board of county commissioners one term, and has been a member of the city council. His official duties have always been discharged with the utmost promptness and fidelity, winning the commendation of all concerned. While a resident of Kansas, Mr. Moorhouse was married, in 1863, to Miss Annie Holthorn, a native of England, by whom he has one son, Frank E., now serving as deputy auditor. Socially Mr. Moorhouse is an honored member of the Grand Army of the Republic and the Knights of Pythias, and politically has always been identified with the Republican party. He served as chairman of the county committee for four years. He has always been found faithful to every trust reposed in him, so that his loyalty is above question, being manifest in days of peace as well as when he followed the old flag to victory on southern battle fields. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
JOHN F. PHILBRICK, assistant attorney-general of North Dakota, and one of the most prominent and successful lawyers of Bismarck, was born in Pittsfield, New Hampshire, June 9, 1855, a son of Richard N. and Live J. (Green) Philbrick, also natives of that state. The father is a harnessmaker and is now a resident of Concord, New Hampshire. Our subject was reared in his native state and acquired his early education in its public schools. Later he spent one year at Collinsville, Illinois, and in 1877 entered Dartmouth College, from which he was graduated in 1881. The following year he commenced the study of law in the office of ex-Governor John P. Altgeld, in Chicago, Illinois, and remained there some months. In December, 1882, came to Bismarck, North Dakota, where he continued preparing for his chosen profession, and in 1885 was admitted to the bar. He has since successfully engaged in practice in Bismarck, and is now a member of the well-known firm of Coucher, Philbrick & Cochrane. In 1889 he was elected judge of probate and filled that office for two years, and in 1895 was made assistant attorney-general, in which capacity he is still serving with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. In politics he is an ardent Republican, has been chairman of the county central committee of Burleigh county for the past ten years, and has taken an active and prominent part in the state campaigns. He is a most successful lawyer and papular official, and is widely known throughout the state. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
HENRY R. PORTER, M. D., one of the most distinguished and honored citizens of Bismarck, North Dakota, and of whom a steel engraving is presented on another page, is the only surviving surgeon of the three who were with Custer's regiment on the fateful June day, in 1876, when so many gallant men perished in the never-to-be-forgotten battle on the Little Big Horn. He was born in Lee Center, Oneida county, New York, February 13, 1848, and is the son of Henry N. and Helen (Polson) Porter, the former also a native of Oneida county, New York, the latter of Scotland. The father graduated from the Geneva Medical College of New York, and for many years was engaged in practice in that state, but is now living retired in Washington, D. C. The grandfather, Norton Porter, was also a physician and surgeon, and died in New York after many years of practice. Our subject has two sisters who are also living in Washington, D. C.Dr. Porter, of this review, completed his literary education at the seminary in Whitestone, New York, in 1868, and then commenced the study of medicine with his father. In 1869 he entered the University of Michigan, where he spent one year, and the following year he passed in England and Scotland. On his return to this country he entered the Georgetown University, D. C., and was graduated from the medical department of that institution in 1872.The same year Dr. Porter was appointed an acting assistant surgeon in the United States army and was assigned to General Crook's command, then in Arizona, where he remained for a year and a half, during which time he was in seven or eight battles with the Apaches. In general orders No. 14, issued by General Crook, and dated, Prescott, Arizona, April 9, 1873, the Doctor is mentioned for gallantry in the engagement in Superstition mountains, January 16, 1873, and again for conspicuous service and gallantry in different engagements against the Tonto Apaches in February and March, 1873.Later during the year Dr. Porter was transferred to Bismarck, North Dakota, as post surgeon at Camp Hancock with General Custer, remaining with the command until after the death of that famous general. The most remarkable fight in the history of Indian warfare was the battle fought on the Little Big Horn river in Montana between the command of General Custer and the allied forces of all the renegade Indians in the west under the leadership of Chiefs Gall and Sitting Bull, June 25, 1876. It was remarkable from the fact that not a single man in Custer's command escaped to tell the tale. Of this battle Dr. Porter gives the following account: Our expedition left Fort Abraham Lincoln on May 17, 1870, under the command of General Terry, and proceeded overland. Mrs. Custer accompanied her husband on horseback as far as Heart River, a distance of several miles, and there bid him an affectionate farewell, and returned to the garrison. We marched in easy stages to Powder river in Montana. Nothing of particular note occurred on the march except that one day we saw, with field glasses, a lone horseman at a distance of several miles. He had evidently seen us and was riding toward our command. We thought of course that he was an Indian, as it did not seem possible that any white man could be off in that wilderness, hundreds of miles from habitation, alone. As he came nearer we discovered that it was none other than Buffalo Bill, the noted scout and Indian fighter. He was one of General Crook's scouts and was off on an expedition of his own. General Crook's command was then in the region of the Black Hills, miles away. After we had gone into camp at Powder river, Reno was ordered out on a scouting expedition. He found a wide Indian trail leading in a westerly direction toward Rosebud river. Custer was then ordered to follow the trail. The Indians had been located by General Terry's scouts, and he told Custer to strike them on the 26th. Terry was sure that his scouts had them well located, and results demonstrated that he was correct. Generals Terry and Gibson were to go by another route and were to strike the Indians in front and Custer was to close in on the rear. Custer started from the camp on Powder river on the morning of June 24. I was sent with him. We were on the trail all that day and night. The night was very dark and we lost the trail once, but found it again by lighting matches.
We proceeded until 4 o clock, the morning of the 25th, when we camped in a deep ravine where the Indians could not see us. We were not allowed to unsaddle or unpack. Being very tired after our long ride, we laid down and slept, each man holding his horse by the bridle reins. In about an hour the scouts reported a large camp of Indians ahead. The command was ordered to get ready for action. Custer came to me and said: Porter, there is a large camp of Indians ahead, and we are going to have a great killing. At six o clock we started. It was Custer's purpose at this time to charge the Indians in a body, he supposing that our presence had not been discovered by them. In a short time the scouts reported that we had been seen by the Indians. Custer then decided to divide the command. He sent Colonel Benteen with three companies to the left; Major Reno with three companies in the center; and he took three companies and was to go to the right, his idea being to surround the Indian camp. Captain McDougal was left in charge of the pack train. It was about ten o clock when the command was divided. Just as we were ready to start, Custer came to me and said: Doctor, I would like you to go with me, as you are younger and more robust and Dr. Lord, the chief surgeon, is not feeling very well. I replied, All right. I would much prefer to go with you. Custer then said: I will see Dr. Lord and ask him to consent. We rode over to where Dr. Lord was, and Custer spoke to him about the contemplated arrangement. The Doctor replied: Not much. I am going with you. The poor fellow in those few words saved my life and sealed his own doom. I went with Reno. We had proceeded but a short distance when Captain Cook, Custer's adjutant, came up and said: The Indians are right ahead of you, and you are ordered to charge them as fast as possible. We went forward at a lively gait. When we came to the river we discovered the Indians were on the opposite bank. We forded the river and suddenly came upon ten or fifteen redskins, and they were running. We then thought that we had already won the fight. We rode some little distance toward the Indian camp, when suddenly a swarm of red devils rose up and poured a terrific fire into us. We dismounted and formed a skirmish line. At first there were only a few, comparatively, then more and more of the savages appeared, and the ground seemed to be fairly alive with them. They were all naked and their bodies were painted hideously. They all rode their ponies bareback. The fire finally became so hot that Reno ordered his men to mount, and led them under cover of the woods. Then the Indians closed in on us, shooting through the branches, killing some of our men. A soldier was shot in a little clump of trees where I was. I dismounted and found him mortally wounded. Reno ordered the troops to mount and charge, and a running fight ensued. My horse was rearing and plunging, and I had all I could do to hold him. The Indians, in their mad pursuit of our troops, did not notice me in the timber. They were passing within ten feet of where I was. I placed laudanum on the wound of the soldier and bandaged it as best I could, and again mounted my frightened horse. As I was leaving the poor soldier said: For God's sake, Doctor, don t leave me to be tortured by those fiends. Bullets were flying thick and fast, and I turned my horse loose and caught up with our troops, who had gotten half a mile away. In that half mile ride I think I was the target of a thousand rifles, but I escaped without a scratch. We again forded the river and took a stand on the top of a steep hill. A few minutes later Benteen, with his three companies came up, as did McDougal, with the pack train. Benteen, after leaving us when the command was divided, had gone west to the river. Not seeing any Indians and hearing the firing he rushed back and joined us. We fought there the remainder of the day, surrounded by three thousand savages, while there were only three hundred of us, all told. The men dug rifle pits with their knives and tin cups. At dark the Indians stopped firing. Some of the men then crawled down to the river and secured water. We had been fighting in the broiling sun all day without a drop of water, and the wounded were begging for a drink. I had some brandy with me, but I told them it would make them worse. They insisted on having it, anyway. Next morning the Indians again opened fire on us. Although Reno was ranking officer, Colonel Benteen was really in command, and to his coolness and bravery those of us who were saved owe our lives. With the air thick with bullets and some of them piercing his clothing, he stood calmly directing the troops. Occasionally a band of savages would dash up to within two or three hundred yards of us, and our men would then charge them. Several Indians were killed in these charges, and finally one of the soldiers killed and scalped an Indian in plain view of the others. This frightened them and they kept a safe distance away after that. A perfect storm of leaden hail was poured in on us all day the 26th until about four o clock in the afternoon, when the firing gradually ceased. We were then frightened, as we thought the Indians were up to some bloodier mischief. Finally we saw them moving off in a body. That night most of the soldiers slept, and were much refreshed in the morning. After the Indians left we were able to procure water. We had all been nearly famished. During the morning of the 27th General Terry and his command came up. He and his staff were all crying, and General Terry said: Custer and his whole command are killed. We thought you were, too.
During the two days we were surrounded by the Indians the inquiry among our men for Custer was loud, and that General's court-martial was freely speculated upon. After separating from us Custer had gone through a rough country for a distance of four or five miles and attacked the Indians in the rear. As soon as we could, several of the officers and myself went over to where Custer had fought, and found what General Terry had reported to be only too true. We found Custer's body stark naked, as white and clean as a baby s. He was shot in the head and breast. The body of Captain Tom Custer, General Custer's brother, was horribly mutilated. He was disemboweled, and his head had been crushed in by a blow from a stone hammer used by the Indians. The only arrow wound I found was in his head. He had the Sioux mark of death, which was a cut from the hip to the knee, reaching to the bone. His heart was not cut out, as has been reported by Rain-in-the-face, one of the Sioux chiefs who took part in the fight. I cut a lock of hair from the head of each officer as he lay, and gave it to their families on my return home. The steamer Far West was moored at the mouth of Little Big Horn. She was the supply boat of the expedition, and had made her way up the Big Horn farther than any other boat. After burying the dead we took the wounded on litters ten or twelve miles to the boat, and I was detailed to go down to Fort Lincoln with them. Colonel Smith, Terry's adjutant general, was sent along with the official dispatches, and he had a traveling bag full of telegrams for the Bismarck office. Captain Grant Marsch, of Bismarck, was in command of the Far West, and the steamer performed a feat unequaled in western steamboating. Marsch put everything in the most complete order and took a large supply of fuel. His orders were to reach Bismarck as soon as possible. The steamer never received the credit due her, nor did her gallant captain. The Big Horn is full of islands, and a successful passage is not an easy feat, but the boat it without an accident, after a thrilling voyage. At Fort Buford and Fort Stevenson we stopped a minute to tell the news, and at Fort Berthold a wounded scout was put off. Two of the wounded died, and we went ashore to bury them. We approached home with something of that feeling that always moves the human heart. It was one mixed with sorrow and gladness. At eleven o clock on the night of the 5th of July we reached Bismarck and Fort Lincoln, having made one thousand miles in fifty-four hours. Colonel Smith and myself hurried from the land up town, and called upon Colonel Lounsberry, the editor of the Tribune, and the telegraph operator, J. M. Carnahan, who took his seat at the key and scarcely raised himself from his chair for twenty-two hours. What he sent vibrating around the world is history.
One of the officers in Reno's command has the following to say of Dr. Porter's services during the memorable fight on Reno's Hill: The afternoon of the 25th, all night, throughout the 26th, the night of that date, and until the forenoon of the 27th, Dr. Porter worked as few men are ever called upon to work. He had no idea that he would get out alive, and believed every man around him was doomed. Still he was the same cool and skillful surgeon that he is today. He had a duty to perform that seldom falls to a man of twenty-six, and yet he performed it nobly. He was surrounded by the dead, dying, and wounded. Men were crying for water, for help, for relief, for life. For twenty-four hours there was no water. The sun was blazing hot. The dead horses were sickening, the air heavy with a hundred smells, the bullets thick, the men falling, and bluffs for miles around black with jubilant savages. The work of the others was not like Porter's. He must know no fear, no trembling, no rest. He have every agonizing sight before his eyes. The afternoon of the 26th, when Indians ceased their firing and began to move off, there were around Porter on the ground fifty dead and fifty wounded. One in every three were either killed or maimed. I know little of hospital history, but I doubt if there is much that overshadows Porter's experience upon the bluff overlooking the Little Big Horn. If I had the genius of a Buchanan Reed, I would weave it into a song more heroic than Sheridan's Ride. Colonel Benteen said to him: I know of no doctor in the regular corps who would have performed the work which Dr. Porter did, with his small force of assistants; don t think there was or is one in the army. There was no nonsense, no gush about him, only just a strict attention to duty, and as modest about it as a girl in her teens. Dr. Porter's military service terminated in 1887, but at the opening of the war between Spain and this country he made the offer to present $50,000 to the government and either join the army as surgeon or serve in the ranks, which fact shows that the patriotic fire which once burned fervently within him has not yet died out. After leaving the service he engaged in the practice of his profession at Bismarck for some time, and for a year or so visited Washington, D. C., after a tour of the world in 1893 - 4. But there was a fascination for him in the scenes in which a stirring part of his career had been laid, and he returned to Bismarck, where he now resides.
In 1877 Dr. Porter was united in marriage with Miss Lottie Viets, of Oberlin, Ohio, a daughter of Henry Viets. She died in 1888, leaving one child, Henry V. In his political views the Doctor is a Republican, but takes no active part in party affairs. Socially he is a Mason of high degree. He has been president of the Medical Society of North Dakota; superintendent of the board of health of Burleigh county; vice-president of the board of examining surgeons for United States pensions at that point; and is now a member of the council of the Association of Acting Assisting Surgeons of the United States army, and vice-president of the Society of Veterans of the Indian Wars. He is a pleasant, genial and polished gentleman, of high social qualities and is very popular, having a most extensive circle of acquaintances who esteem him highly for his genuine worth. He has met with excellent success in life, becoming quite wealthy, and has traveled extensively, visiting all of Europe and a good part of Asia and Africa during the years of 1893 and 1894. He has climbed the Alps in Switzerland, and the Pyramids of Egypt. He rode a camel over the Nubian desert, and shot the cataracts at the Nile. He saw the Pope in Rome, the Sultan in Constantinople, witnessed bull fights in Spain, and the gambling tables of Monte Carlo. A month of sightseeing in Paris gave him a pretty good insight into the mysteries of the grayest city in the world. Over a month in Rome, he had time to study art and ruins to a limited extent, but where a life time could be spent profitably exploring the wonders and mysteries of the Eternal city. After visiting Cairo and the two oldest cities in the world, Memphis and Thebes, he sailed from Alexandra to Joppa, then by rail to Jerusalem, and on horseback to Jericho, the Dead Sea, and the river Jordan. He visited Bethlehem and saw the place where Christ was born, the Garden of Gethsemane, up the Mount of Olives, and through the valley of Jehosophat. His trip through Palestine and Syria was made on horseback, camping at each place until everything had been seen. He camped, slept and lunched Samaria, the plains of Jezreel, where Saul conquered the Philistines; also on the shore of the sea of Galilee, Nazareth, Capernaum and Damascus. He visited Cypres, Rhodes and Turkey, where he saw the sultan going to prayers, and a review of ten thousand Turkish troops. He spent a week in Greece and Athens, returning again to Naples and Rome, thence through Spain, sailing from Gibraltar for home. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
No foreign element has become a more important part of our American citizenship than that furnished by Sweden. The emigrants from that land have brought with them to the new world the stability, enterprise and perseverance characteristic of their people and have fused these qualities with the progressiveness and indomitable spirit of the West. A prominent representative of this class is Mr. Saterlund, the present receiver of the United States land office at Bismarck. He was born in Carlstad, Sweden, May 3, 1851, and in 1869 came to America with his parents, Errick and Mary Saterlund, who located in Traverse county, Minnesota, where the mother is still living, but the father is now deceased. After some time spent in that state our subject came to Bismarck, North Dakota, in 1872, and remained here for some time. Subsequently he spent about four years in Port Arthur, Canada, and then, in1878, returned to Burleigh county, North Dakota, where he purchased two thousand acres of land north of Bismarck, on which he engaged in farming and stock raising. In 1882 he removed to Washburn, which was laid out and platted by Mr. Satterlund. McLean county was not organized until November, 1883, and Washburn was made the county seat. Upon the organization Mr. Satterlund was chosen the first sheriff of the county and re-elected to that office in 1884. In 1890 he was elected to represent his district in the state legislature and reelected two years later. He was the moving spirit in having the county enlarged in 1891, and is now president of the Washburn Real Estate Company. In Duluth, Minnesota, Mr. Satterlund was married, in 1877, to Miss Charlotte Peterson, of Clay county, Iowa, and they now have a family of four children, one son and three daughters : Hilda, Lulu, Florence and Floyd. In business affairs, Mr. Satterlund has met with marked success and has large landed interests in this state. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and is a prominent representative of the Republican party, having served to all the county and state conventions since coming to North Dakota. Besides the offices already mentioned he filled that of county commissioner of Burleigh county in 1882 and was deputy United States marshal for four years from 1883. In 1898 he was made receiver of the United States land office at Bismarck and is now most creditably and acceptably filling that position. His public and private life are alike above reproach and he stands high in public esteem. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Renae Capitanio]
BENJAMIN F. SCOVIL is one of the most useful citizens of Burleigh county, and is a pioneer settler of that locality, and has gained his possessions by honest industry and judicious management. He was born in Illinois, on a farm in 1846. The father of our subject, Pulaski Scovil, was a silversmith by trade and also followed farming. He was descended from an English family who settled in America prior to the Revolution. The mother of our subject was of Scotch descent, and the parents were married in Illinois and our subject was the only child born to this union. He has five half brothers and sisters. Mr. Scovil was raised in Illinois and at the age of twenty years began farming for himself and resided there until 1883 and cultivated a fine farm of eighty acres. He enlisted in Company C, Eighty-fifth Illinois, in July, 1862, and was sent south to the Army of the Cumberland and was engaged in the battle at Perryville, Kentucky, Stone River, Murfreesborough, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, and was in the Atlanta campaign and taken prisoner July 19, 1864, and sent to Andersonville, where he was held one year. He saw three years of active service and participated in some of the hardest fought battles of the war, and after his discharge from the service he returned to Illinois and began his farming operations. He went to North Dakota in 1883 and settled in Burleigh county, and with a small start has become well to do. He built a shanty and had an ox team and with it farmed two years and met with varying success in raising grains. In 1887 he embarked in the mercantile business in McKenzie and conducted a general merchandise store and was also appointed postmaster of McKenzie in 1887. He built an elevator in that town in 1888, with a capacity of twenty thousand bushels and engaged in the grain business and in 1887 began dealing in stock and has continued in this line of business since that time. He has also followed stock-raising extensively and in 1898 built a sawmill in the southeastern part of Burleigh county on the Missouri river and has operated the same each season since that date. He now has a farm of eleven hundred acres, seven hundred acres of which is under cultivation and he has all buildings and machinery for conducting a good farm and leases most of the land. Our subject was married when about twenty years of age to Miss Elizabeth May, a native of Illinois. Her father, William May, was a farmer by occupation and the family has been in America many generations. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Scovil, who bears the name of Cordelia. The daughter was born in 1868 and is now married. Mr. Scovil served as assessor in 1896 and 1897 and is actively interested in local affairs. He is a member of the G.A.R., and is widely and favorably known. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN SEBRY, one of the pioneers of Burleigh county, and an old soldier with an enviable record, has been classed among the substantial and useful citizens of North Dakota and a valued member of the community in which he resides. Mr. Sebry was born in Ireland, in 1841, his father, John Sebry, being a native of Ireland and a farmer and mason by occupation. The father came to America when our subject was ten years old and died on board ship at Quarantine Island, New Brunswick. Our subject, the youngest of a family of eleven children, accompanied his mother and one brother and one sister to America the following year and they landed at St. Johns, New Brunswick, and went to Whitneyville, Washington county, Maine. They remained there six years and then the mother and two sons went to Dakotah county, Minnesota. Our subject worked on a farm and also worked out at day labor until 1862, when he enlisted in Company K, Tenth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division, right wing of the Sixteenth Army corps. They started May 10, 1863, and went to the plains of Dakota as far as the Missouri river, encountering Indians in several skirmishes. In the fall of 1863 the regiment was sent to St. Louis, where they did guard duty six months and then went to Columbus, Kentucky, and thence to Memphis, Tennessee, and thence to Tupelo, Mississippi, where they had an engagement with General Forrest and General John Lee. He was also at the battle of Nashville and at Spanish Fort. In 18656 the regiment started from Dauphin Island to Montgomery, Alabama, and when within fifteen miles of that place received word that the war was ended. They then went to Jackson and Vicksburg, Mississippi, and then to Fort Snelling, where our subject received his honorable discharge in August, 1865, after an arduous service of three years, being almost constantly on raids and marches. After his discharge he returned home and went to work in a saw-mill at Minneapolis. In 1872 he brought his family to Burleigh county, North Dakota, then a wilderness. The trip was made by team, occupying about six weeks on the journey. He lived for the first six years in Bismarck and then, in 1878, moved to his farm north of that place. He had but one cow, one hog and three horses and but little farm machinery. He now has one hundred and sixty acres, about half of which is under a high state of cultivation and the rest devoted to pasturage and his farm is abundantly stocked. He has succeeded remarkable well in his farm enterprise and has won a comfortable competence. Mr. Sebry was married, in 1871, to Miss Mary Casey, a native of Ireland, and a daughter of Mark Casey, one of the early settlers of Minnesota. Mr. and Mrs. Sebry are the parents of six children, as follows: Mark, Mary, James, Jane, Agnes and John H., all of whom except the eldest, were born in North Dakota. Mr. Sebry is a Democrat in his political faith and has always felt an interest in public affairs. He has been a member of the school board for many years and has devoted his energies to the cause of education in his community. Being one of the pioneers of the state, he has watched its growth and development and his reminiscences of early days are well worthy the pen of North Dakota's future historian. [Source: COMPENDIUM OF HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY. Transcribed by Carol Eppright.]
EUGENE H. SPERRY, county treasurer of Burleigh county, and one of the most prominent citizens of central North Dakota, is a farmer by occupation and has achieved success for himself, while at the same time rendering assistance in the development of a new country, and he has been an important factor in the shaping of the policy of his adopted county in many material interests. Mr. Sperry is a native of Chautauqua, New York, where he was born in 1848. His father, Orville Sperry, was a contractor and builder, and also devoted attention to farming. The family was of Welsh descent and were early settlers of Connecticut, and founded the village of Sperryville, in that state. They were of the Puritan faith. The Sperrys were a long-lived race, and the grandfather of our subject, a veteran of the war of 1812, lived to be ninety-six years old, and a brother lived to the advanced age of one hundred and nine years, while the father of our present subject is about ninety years old, and still hale and hearty. The mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Diantha Howard, was a native of New York, born at Utica, and traced her ancestry many generations back, all being Americans. Both the Howard and the Sperry families sent many members to the Civil war. The parents of our subject were married in the state of New York, and Eugene H. was the fourth in a family of eleven children born to this worthy couple. He attended the public schools and also took a course at the Academy at Westfield, and received a teacher's grade certificate to teach in the schools of the state of New York. He worked for a time in a pail factory in Pennsylvania, and was then given the superintendency of the poor farm of Chautauqua county, holding that position about three years. In 1874 he built a cheese factory and manufactured butter and cheese. In 1877 he was made warden of the Chautauqua county asylum for the insane and held that position nine years. In the spring of 1885 Mr. Sperry came to Burleigh county and rented a ranch, which is now his home farm. The family soon afterward joined him. He now owns about seven hundred and ten acres of land, and controls about three thousand acres for stock raising purposes. It is regarded as one of the best ranches in the county, and accommodates about four hundred head of cattle per year. Mr. Sperry was married, in 1874, to Miss Mary Aylesworth. Mrs. Sperry was born in Warren county, Pennsylvania, her father being a lumberman in that state. The family was of Welsh descent, but had been domiciled in America for many generations. Four of Mrs. Sperry's brothers served in the Civil war, one being a prisoner at Andersonville and another at Libby prison. Mr. and Mrs. Sperry are the parents of two children: Lynn W, born in May, 1877, and Mabel L., born in December, 1884. Lynn W. served in the First North Dakota Volunteers in the Philippines. In politics Mr. Sperry is a Republican, and has taken an active and prominent part in the public affairs of Burleigh county. He has attended many state conventions, and was county assessor one term, and in 1898 was elected treasurer of Burleigh county. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. His fine ranch is located eight miles northwest of Bismarck on the east bank of the Missouri river. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
HENRY U. THOMAS
The world instinctively pays deference to the man whose success has been worthily achieved, who has acquired a high reputation in his chosen calling, and whose social prominence is not less the result of an irreproachable life than of recognized natural gifts. It is a pleasing indulgence to write the biography of a man of this character, such as Mr. Thomas is known to be. He is now serving with distinction as commissioner of agriculture and labor of North Dakota, and makes his home in Bismarck. He was born in Magnolia, Rock county, Wisconsin, December 10, 1853, and is the son of Asaph U. and Mary C. (Flint) Thomas, the former a native of Springfield, Massachusetts, and the latter of Wethersfield, Connecticut. The father was a machinist by trade, but the latter part of his life was devoted to farming. From Massachusetts he removed to Pennsylvania, and in 1847 became a resident of Wisconsin, where he made his home for ten years and then went to Freeborn county, Minnesota. There he spent his remaining days and died in April, 1883. The wife and mother passed away in the same county in 1874. In their family were eight children, four sons and four daughters, of whom our subject and all of the daughters are still living. The paternal grandfather, David Thomas, was born in Massachusetts, April 8, 1781, and died February 28, 1842. He had only one son, Asaph U., father of our subject.Henry U. Thomas, of this review, grew to manhood in Minnesota, and the early education he acquired in the common schools of that state was supplemented by a course at the Adventist Seminary in Freeborn county. He continued to make his home in Minnesota, engaged in agricultural pursuits, until April, 1883, when he became a resident of Benson county, North Dakota, where he took up land from the government, becoming the first settler of Antelope valley, which he named. He lived there until the fall of 1885, when he was elected county commissioner and removed to Minewaukon, the county seat. After filling that office very acceptably for two years he was appointed probate judge and served in that capacity for nine years, or elected to his present office in 1896. His official duties have always been performed in a most commendable and satisfactory manner, and have gained for him the confidence and respect of all. In January, 1889, Mr. Thomas was married in Fargo, North Dakota, to Miss Laura A. Spotts, a native of Ohio, and to them have been born seven children, namely: Merrill C., Paul C., Lyle J., Erma M., Harold U., William H. and an infant boy who died August 15, 1899. The wife and mother is a consistent member of the Congregational church, which Mr. Thomas also attends. He is a Thirty-second-degree Mason, a Shriner, and a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In his political views he is an ardent Republican, and does all in his power for the success of his party. As a citizen he has at all the times the good of the community at heart, and his abilities are exerted to make the state of his adoption one of the best in the Northwest. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
ALFRED M. THOMPSON
Alfred M. Thompson, a farmer and stock raiser of township 17 north, range 11 west, section 36, Virginia post office, was born on the farm where he now lives, February 27, 1850. His parents were Oswell and Elizabeth (Henderson) Thompson. Both were born near Chillicothe, Ohio, the father in 1806, and the mother September 22, 1813. They came to Illinois with their parents in the same year, 1827. The father's parents located on the farm which Alfred now owns, and the mother's people located near Arcadia, Illinois. They were married here, in 1829. They had eight children: Ada, wife of I. J. Swibling, a well-to-do farmer and stock raiser near Ashland, Illinois; Mrs. Mary J. Black, the eldest, resides in Virginia; she has been married twice, her first husband being Mace Skiles; W. Howard resides in Jacksonville, Illinois, and runs a feed and sale stable; he also owns a fine tract of land near that of the subject; Sarah Ellen married Jacob Epler, who died soon after, and she married Mr. Andrew App; her home is now at Seattle, Washington, where she married her second husband; she is now in Europe; Alfred; David; Albert and Abigail; the two latter deceased, the former in childhood, the latter in middle life, leaving a family. The youngest of the family is the first child mentioned, Ada. Alfred was reared and educated in his native county, and at the State Normal School, which he attended two years. He returned home and resumed farming. He was married in this county, September 10, 1872, to Meranda L. Payne, daughter of W. B. and Esther (Stevenson) Payne, natives of Kentucky, where Mrs. Thompson was born June 25, 1854. They have had five children: Howard, born in 1876, died in 1883, from scarlet fever; David, born in 1878, at home; Nellie died at the age of three months; Edith, born in 1881, at home; Everett, born in North Dakota, and died in infancy.
In the spring of 1883, Mr. Thompson leased his farm and went to Bismarck, North Dakota, for the purpose of recuperating his health. There he remained seven years, returning in a greatly improved condition. He again took possession of the farm upon which he was born, and still operates it with hired assistance. He owns a fine farm of part timber and part prairie, upon which he has made many improvements. He lives in the house in which he was born, which is in a good condition and is a building that does credit to the neighborhood. Mr. Thompson is a Democrat in politics, and has been School Director and Road Commissioner. Served one year as County Assessor of Burley county, North Dakota, resigning that office when he decided to return to Illinois, two years ago. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in which he takes a deep interest, and also in the Sunday school work, and he subscribes liberally to the support of the same. The Thompson family were among the first settlers in the county. Few indeed can go back as they, in their residence here. The family were of German origin, though long since established in America. Mr. Thompson owns 800 acres of land in Burley, North Dakota, which he rents, has 320 acres of wheat on it this year (1892), he furnishing the seed and receiving one-half of the threshed grain. [From: "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois 1892", by Biographical Review Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois; pages 301-302]
Among the agriculturists of township 139, range 79, in Burleigh county, few are more useful in sustaining and extending its farming interests than Mr. Trygg. He is one of the substantial and successful citizens, and is well versed in the most approved methods of operating a farm. Our subject was born in the town of Linefors, county of Ostorgotland, Sweden, November 20, 1852. His father, John Trygg, was a miller and millwright, and the grandfather, Andres Trygg, was a soldier in the Swedish army until he was retired. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Christina Falk, and she was born and raised about seven miles from the birthplace of our subject. The parents were married in Sweden, and reared a family of three children, of whom our subject was the eldest. The father operated flouring mills in different parts of Sweden, and our subject was reared at home and helped his father until he was about sixteen years old.
Mr. Trygg's first work was in a woolen mill where he spent three years and then took charge of his father's business after his death, and followed farming on the small tract and also did carpenter work and remmed with his mother until he came to America in 1880. He landed at New York City and remained there two and a half years, working in a rolling mill, and also worked at carpentry for the same company, and in 1882 came to Dakota. He located land in October of that year and still resides thereon, and then worked at Bismarck as a carpenter, and the family remained in that city during the first winter, and in the spring moved to the farm and lived in a small shanty. Mr. Trygg began his farm improvements and cultivation without means or implements, and purchased the necessary machinery and an ox team in partnership with C. O. Engdahl, and these two gentlemen farmed together for several years, Mr. Trygg working at his trade and Mr. Engdahl confuting the farm. Success attended the first year's work, but prairie fire destroyed the crop the next year, but this, however, did not cause him to cease striving, and he now has a farm of four hundred and eighty acres, and operates one hundred and eighty-five acres of cultivated land, and he has placed valuable improvements on his farm and has all machinery and stock for operating a model farm. Our subject was married, in 1876, to Matilda Johnson. Her father, Johanis Johnson, was a native of Sweden. Mrs. Trygg died in America in 1883, and left one daughter, Lydia Sophia, now married. Mr. Trygg was married to Mr.s Augusta Anderson in 1886. Mrs. Trygg was born in Sweden and came to america in April, 1886. Her father, Andres Orest, was a soldier in the Swedish army. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Trygg, who are named as follows: David, born February 14, 1888; Oscar, born August 2, 1889, and Frank, born April 3, 1891. Mr. Trygg is independent in politics, and has never held any public office except school director. His rule in life has always been so far as he could do it, whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
E. A. WILLIAMS, of the twenty seventh legislative district, was born at Mystic. Conn., October 14, 1850, moving west to Wisconsin in 1861; was admitted to the bar in 1871, in Illinois, and in the same year came to Yankton, Dakota territory, where he commenced the practice of his profession. In 1872 he came to Bismarck and in October of that year was elected representative to the territorial house. In 1874 he was elected to the territorial council. In 1883 was again elected to the lower house and chosen speaker, and was a member of the same house in 1885 and 1887, and of the constitutional convention in 1889. He was elected to the first state legislature and again in 1897, serving two terms as speaker. He is a widower and has four daughters and one son. He was elected representative in 1910 and re-elected in 1912, as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R
HON. JOHN H. WORST
Faithfulness to duty and strict adherence to a fixed purpose in life will do more to advance a man's interests than wealth or adventitious circumstances. The successful men of the day are those, who have planned their own advancement and have accomplished it in spite of many obstacles and with a certainty that could have been attained only through their own efforts. This class has a worthy representative in John H. Worst, ex-lieutenant-governor of North Dakota, and president of the Agricultural College at Fargo. A portrait of President Worst is presented on another page. He was born in Ashland county, Ohio, December 23, 1850, and is a son of George and Margaret (Martin) Worst, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania, respectively. The father, who was a farmer by occupation spent his entire life in the Buckeye state, where two of his sons still reside. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Henry Worst, was a native of Berks county, Pennsylvania, and a pioneer of Ohio, where he continued to make his home until called from this life. The early education of our subject was acquired in the public schools of Wayne county, Ohio, and was supplemented by a course at Smithville Academy, Ohio, at Salem College, Indiana, and Ashland University. In his native state he taught school and engaged in farming for ten years, and during the following four years edited the Fairfield County Republican, of Fairfield, Lancaster county, Ohio. In September, 1883, he came to Bismarck, North Dakota, and the following year brought his family to this state, locating on land in Emmons county. When the county was organized in 1883 he was appointed county superintendent of schools, and served as such for six years. In 1889 he was elected the first senator from the twenty-sixth district, comprising the counties of Emmons, Kidder, Logan and McIntosh, and filled that office for five years with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. At the end of that time, in 1894, he was elected lieutenant-governor on the ticket with Roger Allen, as chief executive, and served his fellow citizens in that capacity for two years, during which time he was appointed president of the Agricultural College at Fargo. He has most capably filled that office ever since, and in connection with his son Clayton is engaged in cattle raising. Mr. Worst was married, in 1872, to Miss Susan Wohlgamuth, also a native of Ohio, and three children bless their union: Olive J., Clayton L. and Lloyd W. During our recent war with Spain the elder son served as sergeant of Troop G, Third United States Volunteer Cavalry. Mr. Worst has been a life-long Republican, and has canvassed the state in the interests of his party during every campaign. He is a Scottish Rite Mason, wise master of Rose Croix; prelate of the commandery, and past chancellor commander of the Knights of Pythias. He is one of the best known and most highly esteemed men of the state, and his popularity is well deserved, as he has always done all in his power to advance its interests and promote general prosperity. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
© Genealogy Trails