BURLEIGH COUNTY ORGANIZED
Burleigh County was organized by the appointment of John P. Dunn, James A. Emmons and Wm, H. H. Mercer, county commissioners, by Governor John L. Pennington. They met on July 16, 1873, and appointed as officers Dan Williams, register of deeds; J. S. Carvelle, judge of probate; John E. Wasson, county attorney; Wm. Woods, sheriff; and Dr. B. F. Slaughter, coroner. They met again on the following day and appointed Linda W. Slaughter superintendent of schools.
In the spring of 1873 Mrs. Slaughter and her sister, Miss Aidee Warfield, organized the "Bismarck Academy," which they taught gratuitously until August, when a school district organization was effected, and it became the free public school of the district and was held in the new Congregational Church then situated on the present courthouse block, with Miss Warfield as teacher. This formed the beginning of the present splendid school system of Burleigh County.
The following is a list of the old settlers who came to Burleigh County before the completion of the railroad on June 5, 1873. All those marked with a * came to Burleigh County prior to May 1, 1872:
*Louts Agard, Jesse Ayers, *Wm. Anderson, Charles Archer, *P. H. Byrnes, *George Bridges, Ed Burke, *N. W. Comerford, Joe Bush, *John Coleman, J. Collins, J. S. Carvelle, *S. H. Carahoof, Joe Courtous, *Ed Donahue, John Duffee, T. P. Davis, J. A. Emmons, *Mike Foley, George Framer, A. Gilbert, *Barney Aaron, I. C. Adams, *Strong Beer, J. B. Bailey, *E. N. Corey, Geo. Cunningham, John Carnahan, R. M. Douglas, Dan Eisenberg, Robert Farrell, J. B. Ford, *C. A. Galloway, *F. F. Girard, W.
Hollowbush, Wm. Howard. H. U. Holway, Peter Dupree, Joe Dowling, Fred Edgar, *Mike Feller, R. Farrell, J. M. Gilman, *A. Agard, Sam Ashton, *Harry Rose, Geo. Buswell, *C. Collins, *John Conrad, C. M. Clarck, *Joe Deitrich, *Harry Duffee, John P. Dunn, B. Egan, A. Fisher, *Chas. Gray, G. Galbraith, J. M. Guppy, *John Hogan, *L. Hunter, M. A. Hutchins, -----Hildebrand, C. A. Lounsberry, *J. A. Joyce, M. H. Kellogg, Wm. Lawrence, *W. H. H. Mercer, *C. H. McCarthy, *Bernard Martin, J. C. Miller, R. R. Marsh, A. McDonald,
Fred Miller, *R. O'Brien, P. Ostlund, *John H. Richards, Wm. Regan, *John Schwartz, W. B. Shaw, B. Frank Slaughter, G. G. Thomas, *E. A. Williams, James Wickerson, Ed Whalen, R. D. Gutschell, *John J. Jackman, D. R. Kagonie, *Barney Lanningan, Con Lowney, *Joe Miller, *Sam McWilliams, *J. G. Malloy, R. L. Donigal, H. M. Neil, Chris Hehli, John Mason, Thomas McGowan, E. O'Brien, J. W. Proctor, Dan Rice, Thos. Riley, *J. S. Souter, F. S. Snow, *Jos. H. Taylor. *Dan Williams. Thomas Welch, John Whalen, Lovet Gill,
*Jake Houser, *Edmond Hackett, Albert Hill, Dennis Hannafin, N. H. Knappen, R. Lambert, Chas. Louis, *J. D. McCarty, *D. W. McCall, *D. W. Marshall, J. M. Marsh, John McDevitt, Mike McLear, Ed Morton, M. O'Brien, John Ostlund, John Ross, E. J. Robinson, H. N. Ross, *Henry Suttle, *William Smith, Pat Smith, M. Tippie, *C. W. Vandegrift, John E. Mason. *Wm. Woods, Wm. Sebrey, John Sebrey, Jerry Haly, F. C Hollembeck, A. Harvey, *John Kahl, *John Luther, S. F. Lambert, *Adam Mann, John McCarthy. *Peter Malloy, *John
W. Millet, L. T. Marshall, Barney McCoy, E. McDonald, A. McNeil, P. O'Brien, *J. W. Plummes, *Frank Riley, Thos. Reynolds, J. C. Miller, *John Skelly, N. Leverane, Chas. Tobin, B. T. Williams. Alfred Walker, John White, Mike Whalen, *Geo. A. Joy.
["Early History of North Dakota" , by Clement A. Lounsberry, Liberty Press, 1919, pgs 532-533 - Tr. by K.T.]
THE BURLEIGH COUNTY PIONEERS
On the evening of December 1, 1873, in the log building of Dimmick and Tippie, on the corner of Main and Third streets, there was formed an association of the early settlers of Bismarck and vicinity called the Burleigh County Pioneers, whose object, as stated in their constitution, was "to promote the social, business and agricultural interests of Bismarck and vicinity." The charter members were C. A. Lounsberry, C. H. McCarty, Edward Donahue, Dr. B. F. Slaughter, C. W. Freede, H. N. Holway, L. T. Marshall, C. W. Clarke, J. E. Walker, M. Tippie, W. T. McKay, A. C. Tippie, Gus Galbraith, J. W. Raymond and Capt. John W. Smith.
The officers elected were: Dr. B. F. Slaughter, president; Charles H. McCarty, vice president; Gus Galbraith, recording secretary; Col. C. A. Lounsberry, corresponding secretary ; Maj. J. E. Walker, treasurer.
This society was at once a bureau of immigration, a general intelligence office and a board of trade.
For two years the Pioneers kept two secretaries at work sending out literature and answering inquiries from abroad, and Bismarck was the most extensively advertised burgh in America. In April, 1874, they fitted up headquarters and a public reading room in Dr. Slaughter's building on Third street, known as Pioneer Hall, which was one of the most attractive places in the city. They accumulated a valuable library and elected W. S. Brown, librarian, and W. J. Craw, assistant secretary.
At a meeting held on February 9, 1874, the association resolved to publish a pamphlet to advertise the country and to elect a historian, whose duty it should be to prepare it. A committee, consisting of M. Tippie, J. B. Bailey and N. H. Knappen, was appointed to make the selection, and they chose Mrs. Linda W. Slaughter as historian of Pioneers, and she was elected an honorary member of the association. Her pamphlet, entitled "The New Northwest A History of Bismarck and Vicinity," was in the hands of the secretary within two weeks from the date of the resolution. Two thousand copies were printed in the office of the Bismarck Tribune, 1,000 of which were mailed by the secretary to all parts of the country and the other 1,000 was distributed among the members for gratuitous distribution. The good results of this enterprise were soon apparent. Immigrants poured in from all quarters and the author of the pamphlet lived to see her predictions in regard to the coming greatness of the country fully verified.
Washington's birthday, February 22, 1874, was observed by the Pioneers by a grand ball at the Capitol Hotel. Tickets sold readily at $5 each, and thereafter each year for a number of years at each anniversary of the formation of the society an annual ball was held and large sums were realized for the society from the sale of tickets.
Below are the names of the members of the Burleigh County Pioneers recorded in their own handwriting in the secretary's book of their constitution and by-laws, now in the possession of the State Historical Society : C. A. Lounsberry, C. H. McCarty, Edward Donahue, B. Frank Slaughter, C. W. Freede, H. N. Holway, L. T. Marshall, C. W. Clarke, J. E. Walker, M. Tippie, W. T. McKay, A. C. Tippie, Gus Galbraith, J. W. Raymond, John W. Smith, John Harris, John W. Proctor, Fred C. Hollenbeck,
H. N. Ross, Charles A. Galloway, David Crouther, C. J. Miller, Richard Farrell, Chris Hiehli, Fred W. Edgar, Louis Agard, Nicholas Byrnes, T. F. Singhiser, M. L. Marsh, N. H. Knappen, S. L. Beckel, Henry Suttle, E. N. Corey, John A. McLean, Robert Macnider, J. D. Wakeman, R. D. Jennings, Thomas Van Etten, Mark Warren, Edmond Hackett, James A. Emmons, S. E. Doner, Will J. Craw, Henry Dion, John P. Forster, J. B. Bailey, R. R. Marsh, William Woods, Alexander McKenzie, John A. Stoyell, H. Brownson, Alonzo Murry,
Mason Martin. L. H. Melton, Richard Connelly, John Bowen, Henry Waller, George G. Gibbs, James H. Mashall, Joseph Pennell, John Wringrose, James Browning, J. O. Simmons, W. Ward Bill, John Whalen, S. Lambert, Theodore Shenkenberg, Peter Brasseau, Jesse Ayers, William Coleman, William Hollowbush, J. McGee, Josiah Delameter, J. P. Dunn, Thomas McGowan, Nicholas Comer, Norman Beck, Isadore Burlingette, Thomas Reid, Louis Bonin, George Peoples, Asa Fisher, J. H. Lovelle, John W. Plummer, Willard S. Brown, J. H. Richards,
J. C. Dodge, H. P. Bogue, P. H. Galligher, Nicholas Comerford, W. S. Lawrence, Charles F. Hobart, J. C. Cady, S. M. Townsend, George Enreigh, N. Dunkleberg, John Mason, John Yegen, Joseph Deitrich, L. N. Griffin, Cornelius Collins, T. P. Davis, W. H. H. Comer, Charles Saunders, R. Page and Edward B. Ware. ["Early History of North Dakota" , by Clement A. Lounsberry, Liberty Press, 1919, pgs 540-541]
THE BISMARCK LADIES' HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Ladies' Historical Society of Bismarck and North Dakota was formally organized in September, 1889. Previously to this it had existed as a little knot of ladies in Bismarck, who, having experienced the hardships and isolation that marked the early days of settlement in the new city, were drawn together in bonds of the closest friendship. Their first meetings were chiefly social and were held at the home of Mrs. Slaughter. One peculiarity of their constitution was that no dues should be paid, and its membership was at first limited to the ladies who had lived in Bismarck during the years 1872 and 1873. It afterwards broadened out to admit the wives of the old settlers of those years. At the reorganization, in 1889, all ladies who had lived in the territory previous to its admission as a state were made eligible to membership, and at its last reorganization and incorporation as the North Dakota State Historical Society gentlemen were allowed admittance on equal terms.
The first officers of the ladies' society of the year 1872, who retained their positions until the incorporation in 1889, were: President, Linda W. Slaughter; board of directors, Lucy Baily, Phoebe A. Marsh, Charlotte H. Davis, Nina B. Emmons, Linda W. Slaughter, Mrs. Alice O'Brien. The oldest of the old settler ladies was honorary president, and Miss Rosalind C. Slaughter, the youngest, was secretary. Mrs. John P. Dunn and Mrs. Winnifred Nichols, settlers of 1873, were later members.
Mrs. Alice O'Brien was born in Ireland and came to Bismarck in July, 1872, with her husband, Matheus O'Brien. Their family consisted of Mrs. Sebry, the aged mother of Mrs. O'Brien, and a large group of sons and daughters. Several of the latter were married to farmers, who were the first to open farms near the new city.
Mrs. Linda W. Slaughter was the wife of Dr. B. Frank Slaughter, post surgeon of Camp Hancock, and came to Bismarck from Fort Rice in August, 1872, with her husband and baby. Dr. Slaughter resigned from the army in November, 1873, to become a citizen of Bismarck, and both husband and wife were identified with the leading events of the early years in the new city. Dr. Slaughter died December 26, 1896, of paralysis.
Mrs. Thomas Van Etten came to Bismarck from Minnesota with her husband and family in 1873 and resided on a farm near Bismarck until 1882, when, having realized a large sum from the sale, of their land, they returned to their old home in Minnesota. Mrs. Van Etten afterwards died of consumption.
Mrs. Nina B. Emmons was the wife of James A. Emmons, one of the first board of commissioners of Burleigh County, and a leading business man of Bismarck. She came to Bismarck in September, 1872, and was the first bride in Bismarck. They removed to Nebraska in 1885.
Mrs. Charlotte H. Davis was the wife of Thomas P. Davis, one of the early contractors on the Northern Pacific grade. They came to Bismarck in 1872. Mr. Davis was killed by accident in Bismarck in 1894 and Mrs. Davis returned to her old home in Canada.
Mrs. Lucy Baily came to Bismarck with her husband, James Buell Baily, in August, 1872. They were for some years engaged in the business of hotel keeping. Mr. Baily died in 1879 and Mrs. Baily in January, 1895.
Miss Rosalind C. Slaughter, who was for so long the faithful secretary of the society, is the daughter of Dr. B. F. and Linda W. Slaughter and was a babe in arms when she came to Camp Hancock with her parents in 1872. She attended school in Bismarck and Washington, D. C. On October 21, 1896, she was married to Mr. A. W. Dearborn of Eagle Lake, Minn., where she now resides with her husband.
Mrs. Christina Dunn came to Bismarck in 1873 and is the wife of John P. Dunn, one of the first board of commissioners of Burleigh County, and long engaged as a druggist in Bismarck, where she still resides. Mrs. Dunn is now engaged in millinery at Bismarck.
Mrs. Winnifred Nichols came to Bismarck in 1873 with her husband, John Nichols, and their family of children. They long resided on a farm near the city. Mr. Nichols died in 1896. Mrs. Nichols and several of their daughters now reside in Bismarck. Mrs. Phoebe A. Marsh came to Bismarck with her husband, R. R. Marsh, from Pennsylvania in 1872 and opened the Capitol Hotel on the present site of the Central Block on Main street. They now reside on a farm near Menoken.
The object of the ladies' society, as stated in their constitution, was to promote friendship and good will among the old settlers of Bismarck and Burleigh County and to preserve the records of the early history of the county and state in correct and permanent form.
This society having organized under the name of North Dakota State Historical Society, an arrangement was made with them whereby they merged their organization into the present State Historical Society, the members of this society ["Early History of North Dakota" , by Clement A. Lounsberry, Liberty Press, 1919, pgs 542 - Tr. by Jennifer Zimmerman]
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails