Grand Forks County
WILLIAM J. ANDERSON, ex-receiver of United States land office, of Grand Forks, is now engaged in the practice of law in Grand Forks, North Dakota, and is one of the able and well-known attorneys of the state. He is a native of Canada and was born in Elgin county, May 20, 1854.
The parents of our subject, William and Jane (Plowman) Anderson, were both natives of Canada and the father was a shoe dealer and maker and died in Ontario.
Our subject is the only son and was reared and educated in Le Sueur county, Minnesota, going there with his mother, and in 1862, on account of the Indian troubles in Minnesota, they removed to St. Paul, where Mrs. Anderson attended the public schools. He followed various callings until 1875, when he came to Grand Forks, North Dakota, as agent for the Red River Transportation Company and the following year was elected justice of the peace and continued with the transportation company until 1879 and the following year was appointed receiver of the land office. He opened the office April 20, 1880, and worked in that capacity eight years and then began the study of law and was admitted to the bar about 1887. He was elected county auditor in 1888 and served four years and was an efficient and popular public official. He was elected mayor of Grand Forks in 1890, and served two years and he always proved himself worthy the confidence placed in him by the people. He has a good business in the practice of his profession and his integrity and knowledge of his calling entitle him to a high station as a professional man and citizen.
Our subject was married, in 1879, to Josephine Russell, a native of Wisconsin. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, named Raymond G. and Virginia E. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Knight Templar, and he also holds membership in the Knights of Pythias, of which order he is deputy grand chancellor. Politically, he is a Republican and has been identified with the movements of that party during his entire career. He has been president of the Old Settlers' Association of the Red river valley, and is one of the best known citizens of the state. [Compendium of History and Biography, Transcribed by Christi Boyer]
HON. HORACE F. ARNOLD is the owner and manager of the well known farm that bears his name, one and a half miles west of Larimore, Grand Forks county, and is one of the most widely known business men of North Dakota. He owns two thousand two hundred acres of fertile land, and tills it with all modern methods and appliances.
Mr. Arnold was born in Danielsonville, Connecticut, June 19, 1857, and belongs to an old colonial family, whose roots runs back to Wales. Thomas Arnold, you left that country in 1635, was the ancestor of our subject. He settled in Rhode Island. The Arnolds were Quakers up to the Revolutionary war, during which Captain Nathan Arnold commanded a company in the American army, and from whom Horace F. is descended four generations. Our subject is the oldest child and the only son in a family of three children born to Ellery and Adaline A. (Steere) Arnold, both residents of Larimore at the present time. He has a daughter, Lucile A. He was well educated and for a time was a student in Caledonia Academy and the State University. His health failed so that an active and out-door life seemed essential. He sought it in the Red river valley, and came to Wahpeton in the spring of 1879. From there he journeyed to Valley City, and the following spring took up land in section 10, of what is now Larimore township, Grand Forks county. He entered enthusiastically into his work, living in a little shanty, and devoting himself for the next ten years to the work of improving what had become a fine farm. In 1890 he purchased the "Larimore Pioneer," and at once assumed editorial charge. The same year he was elected state senator. He has been repeatedly reelected, and holds that important position at the present time. He has served on the educational committee, and his best work has been along that line. The State University owes much to his efforts. He introduced and secured the passage of an act, senate bill No. 30, making a fixed annual appropriation for its maintenance, which has placed it on a firm foundation. He secured the passage of the present laws relating to high schools, which gives the state a system of schools graduated from the first year up to completion of the work of the University. In 1894 Mr. Arnold was elected president of the Devils Lake Chautauqua, which at that time had every appearance of being a failure. Under the able management of the board of which he has been the head ever since, it has become a brilliant success.
The "Larimore Pioneer," with which our subject is still connected, was established in 1882 by W. W. Scott. In 1888 M. M. Miller purchased the plant, held it two years, and sold it as noted above to Mr. Arnold. In 2896 the paper passed into the hands of H. F. Arnold & Company, E. L. Richter becoming manager. In November, 1899, Dan E. Richter became the editor. Connected with this paper we might also mention the name of H. V. Arnold, uncle of Horace F. He has contributed many valuable articles to its columns relating to the history and geology of North Dakota. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
TRACY R. BANGS, district attorney for the district of North Dakota, is a man who has steadily risen to prominence and is now a leader of the bar of state. His practice has brought him in contact with the most learned members of the profession in the state and he is recognized as one of the leading lawyers of North Dakota. He is earnest in his convictions, a well-equipped practitioner, and able advocate, and enjoys an extensive and lucrative business.
Our subject is a native of Le Sueur county, Minnesota, and was born April 29, 1862. His parents, Alfred W. and Alma (Baker) Bangs, were natives of Pennsylvania and his father was born July 29, 1830. He was reared and educated in Pennsylvania where he began the study of law. He was admitted to the bar in that state and practiced his profession in Scranton, Pennsylvania, until 1860, when he removed to Minnesota and practiced in Le Sueur, Le Sueur county, until 1882. He was prosecuting attorney of the county for fourteen years, and in 1882 went to Grand Forks, where he remained until 1889, when he moved to Rapid City, South Dakota, where he is still located. He served as county attorney of Grand Forks county, North Dakota, and also of the county where he now resides. He was chairman of the territorial Democratic committee from 1886 to 1888, and also a delegate to the national convention at St. Louis in 1886. He was twice married, his second wife bearing the maiden name of Sarah Plowman. Four sons and one daughter were born of this union. A portrait and sketch of A. W. Bangs will be found elsewhere in this volume.
Tracy R. Bangs was educated in Minnesota in the high school, and began the study of law with his father, and went to Grand Forks, North Dakota, in 1882, as cashier of the United States land office. He was admitted to practice in 1885, and practiced with his father until 1889, and then formed a partnership with C. J. Fisk, which existed until 1892, when his brother, George A. Bangs, became a partner and they continued together until 1895. Our subject was appointed district United States attorney in 1894, and the following year withdrew from the firm. He was city attorney in 1888, and elected state's attorney in 1892, resigning that position to accept his present position. He is secretary of the County Bar Association. He holds membership in the Masonic fraternity, the Elks, and the Knights of Pythias, and in the last named is a member of the committee on law of the supreme lodge. He is an earnest advocate for the principles of the Democratic party and "stumps" the state for his party. He is yet a young man, but his experience has been of a wide nature and he has acquired a knowledge of his profession becoming one of more mature years. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
JAMES BARRETT, whose home is on section 29, Chester township, Grand Forks county, is still in the prime of life, and well deserves an honorable place among those whose brains, courage and endurance have converted a wilderness into the great state of North Dakota. He is active and industrious, and his integrity has commanded respect. He was born on a farm in St. Croix county, Wisconsin, August 15, 1862, where he was reared and educated, receiving such educational advantages as the common schools of the community afforded him. He lived at home until 1890, and the fall of that year struck out in life for himself. He came to North Dakota, and for two years was employed as a farm laborer. He settled in 1892 on the farm where he now lives, and by unremitting care and attention has made it one of the most complete in this section of the county. He owns four hundred and eighty acres, and operated nine hundred more, and as maybe imagined is an exceedingly busy man.
Mr. Barrett and Miss Theresa Pash were married in Bell River, Minnesota, July 3, 1891. She has ably seconded all her husband's efforts, and as she was born and reared in Minnesota, she knows the requirements of a western home. They are the parents of two children, Henry J. and Alice, and have a delightful home. Mr. Barrett is a man of considerable influence at home, and has been a member of the township board for several years. He is a member of the Catholic church, and is highly esteemed in that society. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
CHARLES H. COOPER, who resides on section 22, Mekinock township, Grand Forks county, is among the number of those who were brave enough to seek a new home in the Dakota country, even though somewhat advanced in years, and the results have amply justified his enterprise. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, January 4, 1844, and was reared on a farm in Ashtabula county, not far from his birth place. His education was given him in the public schools of the state, and though it was not very wide nor deep, yet it was thorough, and he is a man of more than the usual intelligence. He continued to live in Ashtabula county in 1879, with the exception of some three years spent in the Federal army. Mr. Cooper enlisted September 18, 1862, in the first Ohio Light Artillery, and served nearly three years. He had an extensive military experience, and made a record of which he may justly be proud. He received a painful injury while being transferred at Jeffersonville, Indiana, from one hospital to another. The ambulance in which he was being conveyed was upset, and Mr. Cooper received a dislocation of the hip from which he never recovered, and is still lame from the effects.
In March, 1879, the subject of this writing came to North Dakota to find a home for his family. For two years he rented a farm three miles south of Grand Forks; and then, feeling assured of his liking for the country and climate, he took up a homestead where he now lives, and which has been his residence to the present time. Here he has made many improvements, and owns four hundred and eighty acres that may be compared in most important respects with an equal acreage in the older east. He was married to Miss Celestia Viets, at Geneva, Ohio. She was born in Ashtabula county, in that state, and is the mother of three children: Herbert D., Lotties A. and Mona V. Mr. Cooper has been called to fill important local positions by his fellow townsmen, and his common sense views and business ability have commanded respect. He is now chairman of the township board, and has taken part in all affairs of local interest for many years. He is identified with the Presbyterian church of Grand Forks, and is counted among its best workers and supporters. He belongs also to the Grand Army of the Republic and is affiliated with the Post at Larimore. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
DR. THOMAS G. DEVITT, M. D., C. M. F. T. M. C., a prominent and popular physician of Grand Forks, North Dakota, has, in the short time he has been a resident of that city, established himself in a valuable and permanent practice, and has won the confidence and esteem of the community where he has chosen to make his home.
Dr. Devitt is a native of Ontario, Canada, and was born March 23, 1867. His parents, William and Eliza (Junkin) Devitt, were natives of Ireland and Canada, respectively. The father still resides in Canada, where the mother died several years since. The subject of our sketch was reared and educated in Canada, taking a course in the Lindsay Collegiate Institute, graduating in 1883. He then followed teaching some years, and in 1890 entered Trinity Medical College at Toronto. He graduated from this institution in 1894, winning the first silver medal in his class, and was selected for the position of resident physician of the Toronto General Hospital, and held that position for one year. In 1895 he came to Grand Forks, opened an office, and began practice of his profession.
Dr. Devitt was married, in 1899, to Miss Ella Wheeler, of Grand Forks. He is prominent in social circles, and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and several insurance orders. He was given the position of physician and surgeon to St. Luke's Hospital of Grand Forks and of St. Joseph Hospital, East Grand Forks, Minnesota. He is always a close student in his profession, and has a broad knowledge of his science, and is thoroughly skilled in the arts peculiar to his calling. Our subject is a member of the North Dakota Medical Society and the American Medical Association. Also he is a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
HENRY W. DEZOTELL
Henry W. Dezotell, a partner in the firm of H. Dezotell & Son, general merchants of Grand Forks, (ND) and also extensively engaged in farming, was born in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, November 5, 1857, a son of Stephen and Caroline (Getman) Dezotell, both of whom were natives of Jefferson county, New York, where they were reared, educated and married. In the early '50s they removed to Wisconsin, where the father became a well known and prominent pioneer farmer. He died in the state of his adoption in 1872, at the age of forty-five years, while his widow, surviving for many years, passed away in Chicago in 1915, at the age of seventy-seven.
Henry W. Dezotell, the second of four children, attended the public schools of Wisconsin, pursuing a high school course in Monroe county. Later he removed to Brown Valley, Minnesota, where he became connected with the lumber industry and there remained in business until 1900, when he sold out and removed to Minneapolis. In that city he established a wholesale grain business which he carried on for nine years, and in 1909 he removed to North Dakota to engage in the real estate business. In that connection he traveled back and forth between North Dakota and the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, interesting prospective farmers and settlers in this state with its wonderful productiveness and limitless possibilities. While engaged in the real estate business he brought many people to North Dakota who might otherwise never have come and yet who, like Mr. Dezotell, have won prosperity during the period of their residence in this state. He personally became interested in agriculture and at the present time owns farm lands aggregating thirty-six hundred acres under cultivation, utilized for the production of grain. On each of his farms he has erected substantial buildings for housing his vast crops and he also utilizes the most modern and improved machinery for planting, cultivating and harvesting. In the harvest season he employs hundreds of extra hands to gather and thresh the new crop and his farms are indeed places where the hum of industry is continually heard. In 1913 Mr. Dezotell established a department store at Grand Forks which is one of the leading mercantile establishments of the city, being now carried on by his son under the firm style of H. Dezotell & Son, while the father largely gives his attention to the supervision of his agricultural interests.
In June, 1879, Mr. Dezotell was united in marriage to Miss Ada L. Bigelow, of Tomah, Wisconsin, by whom he has a son, Claude E., who was born at Brown Valley, Minnesota, in 1881, is now married and acts as manager of the firm of H. Dezotell & Son at Grand Forks.
Fraternally Mr. Dezotell is a Royal Arch Mason. He belongs to the Commercial Club and he gives his political support to the republican party. Since his fifteenth year he has worked his way upward unaided and is now one of the popular and prosperous citizens of Grand Forks, having important business connections which contribute to the general welfare and upbuilding of the district as well as to individual success. He early had the prescience to discern something of what the future had in store for this great and growing western country and, acting according to the dictates of his faith and judgment, he has lived to garner in the fullness of time the results of his labors and his sagacity. [North Dakota History And People; Outlines of American History, Volume 3; S. J. Clarke Publishing Company; Chicago, 1917 - JD - Sub by FoFG]
NELSON N. FULLER is a well-known grain buyer at Larimore, Grand Fork county, and is full of the true Dakota "hustle and go." He is in the service of the Minneapolis & Northern Elevator Company, and is counted among their best agents. He was born in Lake county, Ohio, January 26, 1836, and was the fifth child in a family of ten children resulting from the marriage of Major Jospeh and Anna (Dodge) Fuller. Joseph Fuller, Sr., the father of Major Fuller, was a native of Vermont, and served in the Continental forces for seven years. Major Fuller received his title from his services in the Ohio Militia.
Mr. Fuller was reared to farm work, and when he left home he still followed farming. He came west in 1861 and took up a farm in St. Croix county, Wisconsin, and, faithful to the traditions of his family, enlisted, August 18, 1862, in Company D, Thirtieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. In 1863 he was attached to the relief expedition sent to the Indian Frontier under General Sully, a very full account of which appears elsewhere in these pages, and had experience in fighting the red savages. Most of the time until October, 1864, he was in camp at Forts Sully and Rice, in Dakota territory. At that time his regiment was ordered to join General Sherman in his march. They constructed flatboats and floated down the Missouri to Sioux City, Iowa, making the trip there in about six weeks, and continued by river to St. Joseph, Missouri, then by rail to Nashville, Tennessee, returning at once with a train load of Confederate prisoners to Chicago. During the last eleven months of the war Mr. Fuller did provost duty at Louisville, Kentucky, and was mustered out September 20, 1865.
Mr. Fuller returned at once to his Wisconsin farm, and in the succeeding years brought two hundred acres into cultivation. He was married, in 1866, to Miss Louisa E. Claggett, who has proved herself an efficient and helpful companion. They are the parents of four children: Alma, who is Mrs. George Wright, of Grand Forks; W. Emmett, the assistant cashier of the Union National Bank at Grand Forks; Anna M., a teacher in the primary schools; and Stephen Jay, now a student in the University of North Dakota.
It was in 1881 that the Red river fever took possession of our subject, coming on him both from correspondence and reading. Visiting the valley with a friend, he became so impressed with its possibilities that he took a homestead claim on what is now section 6, of the township of Arvilla. In the spring of 1882 he spent six months on his claim, living in a little shanty. In the fall of that year he bought grain for the Northwestern Elevator Company, handling some of the first grain ever hauled to the Larimore market. The next summer his family joined him and life was normal once more. He continued, however, buying grain, and was in the employment of the same elevator company eight years. He put up a pleasant and commodious residence in the city of Larimore, and has witnessed the growth of the town and the development of the country to its present pitch of prosperity. In the fall of 1891 he attached himself to the Minneapolis & Northern Elevator Company. He has purchased eighteen crops, a record almost unequaled in the state. Recently he has disposed of his Wisconsin land and with the proceeds purchased a section of land in Elm Grove and Larimore townships, a convincing evidence of his faith in the future of the valley. He is a Republican, holds to legal prohibition, and is an earnest and devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He takes an active interest in the Grand Army of the Republic and all its affairs, and is an honorable and public-spirited citizen. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
EDMUND M. GRANGER
Granger Edmund M, Breckenridge. School teacher. Born June 19, 1880 near Grand Forks ND, son of L and Exelindin (Lambert) Granger. Educated in grammar school Terrebonne Minn; high school Red Lake Falls Minn; State Science School of ND; graduated from Teachers' Course of Southern Minn Normal College 1906. Began teaching in Red Lake county 1898; elected county supt of schools Wilkin county 1906. [Source: "Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ. 1907 Tr. by Nancy Overlander]
CYRUS H. JENKS, superintendent of the Northern division of the Great Northern Railroad, is a man of thorough knowledge in railroad work, and has spent thirty years in this line. He was born in Boone county, Illinois, November 29, 1844.
The parents of our subject, Cyrus C. and Elizabeth (Quilliams) Jenks, were from New York and Isle of Man, respectively. The father was a carpenter, brickmason, and also engaged in teaching, and moved to Illinois in 18221 and to Minnesota in 1848, settling in St. Anthony, and was the first school teacher and first constable of Minneapolis. He was born August 4, 1808, and was three times married, and was the father of thirteen children. In company with Morton M. Godhue he printed the first issue of the "Pioneer," which later became the "Pioneer Press," of St. Paul. He made the brick from which old Fort Ridgely was built. This pioneer of Illinois and Minnesota died in 1897.
Our subject was five years of age when he removed with his parents to St. Anthony, and was educated there and at Rockford. He enlisted, in 1862, in Company B, Sixth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and served until August, 1865, and was in the Sixteenth Army Corps of the Army of the Gulf, previous to which he had been in the Indian service and assisted in the capture of the Indians of Mankato and Spirit Lake, after which he was sent south and was at Spanish Fort and Fort Blakeley and also participated in numerous minor engagements. He returned to Minnesota after the war and located at Rockford, and in 1870 engaged with the Great Northern Railroad Company as brakeman, and rose rapidly in rank and soon was a conductor of freight and passenger trains, and in 1882 went to Crookston, Minnesota, as assistant superintendent of the Northern division and served as such until 1887, when he assumed charge of the Dakota division and was superintendent there until 1892, and was then transferred to the Northern division for one year and then given the Montana Central for one year, after which he returned to the Northern division and has held the office at Grand Forks continuously since that time. He assisted in building the road and is one of the few men left who began railroad life as early as 1870.
Our subject was married, in 1867, to Hattie E. Hayford, a native of New York. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Jenks, as follows: Charles O., and Lotta Q., now Mrs. C. C. Shapleigh, of Moorehead. Mr. Jenks is prominent in affairs of the Masonic fraternity and has passed the degrees of all the departments of the order. He is a man of excellent business capacity and is highly esteemed throughout the locality in which he makes his home. [Compendium of History and Biography, Transcribed by Christi Boyer]
DR. SAMUEL PAIGE JOHNSON, the pioneer dentist of the city of Grand Forks, and the second to locate within the limits of the state, is one of the most widely known men in North Dakota.
Dr. Johnson is a native of Essex county, New York, and was born February 4, 1852. His parents, Samuel and Lura (Fisher) Johnson, were natives of New York, and the father died when our subject was an infant. To the public schools of his native state, principally the union free schools of West Port, our subject is indebted for his preliminary education. In 1873 he went to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and there entered the State University, and was in attendance at that institution for three years. In 1877 he began the study of dentistry in the Minneapolis Dental College, having studied prior to that time for three years under the instruction of Dr. Bowman, of Minneapolis, and continued there three years, until he came to Grand Forks and has continued to practice there since.
In 1887 Dr. Johnson took a special course of lectures under Dr. Howard, of Chicago. And has been a constant student of the art and science to which he has devoted so much attention. He is a member of the State Dental Society of North Dakota, and was secretary for seven years of the state dental examining board. He has made a success of his profession, and has built up a large and well established practice. The first wife of Dr. Johnson was Miss Lucy A. Pierce, whom he married in Minnesota in 1881. She died in 1887, leaving no children, and Dr. Johnson was again married in 1889 in the state of Wisconsin to Miss Laura B. Bowman. To Dr. and Mrs. Johnson two children have been born, one son and one daughter. Dr. Johnson is a highly esteemed member of the community, and is popular in social circles. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the American Yeomen. He has attained a degree of renown for his inimitable lectures and impersonations, and is well known throughout the state, as well as in the neighboring states of Minnesota and Wisconsin, where he has attracted attention by his humorous productions from the platform. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
DR. ALEXANDER D. J. McDONALD, who has gained his way to the front rank in his profession by judicious work and skilled labor, is one of the worthy citizens of the state of North Dakota. He has practiced medicine in Grand Forks comparatively few years, and is one of the rising young men of the locality. He is a native of Prince Edward Island, Canada, and was born August 2, 1867.
The parents of our subject, Ronald G. and Ellen (McDonald) McDonald, were natives of Canada, and the family was of Scotch extraction. The father was a ship builder and lived and died in Canada. Six sons were born to this worthy couple, of whom our subject is the only one in North Dakota.
Mr. McDonald was raised in Canada, and received his early schooling there, and attended St. Dunstan's College, of Charlott-town, Prince Edward Isle, graduating from the institution in 1889. He came to the United States the same year, and began the study of medicine in New York in the University of New York. He graduated in 1894, and spent a year and a half in hospital work in New York city. He went to Grand Forks, North Dakota, in November, 1895, and now enjoys a liberal and ever-increasing patronage.
Mr. McDonald is a member of the State Medical Society, and is well known in his profession, and enjoys and enviable reputation as a skillful and conscientious practitioner and a worthy citizen. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
CHARLES H. OLMSTEAD, the proprietor and manager of a department notion store at Larimore, Grand Forks county, is making a place for himself among the solid business men of North Dakota. He was born in Orleans county, New York, December 28, 1842, and was the youngest of three sons born to Norman and his first wife, Maria (Hughes) Olmstead. Of half brothers and sisters there were seven. When our subject was three years old, and just before his mother died, the family went by wagon to Michigan, and settled in Marshall, and a little later on a farm near Bellevue, in that state. There he remained until he was sixteen years old. At that age he left home and found work on a farm a few miles away, and presently became a soldier in the Union army. He was twice enlisted, the first time in 1861, in the sixty-ninth Ohio Volunteers, but for some informality he did not join the regiment. December 27, 1861, he again enlisted, and was mustered into the service as a member of Company E, Fifty-fourth Ohio Zouaves. He was in the first engagement at Shiloh, and was there severely wounded. He was sent to the hospital, and was mustered out September 3, 1862, as unable to endure farther service. He was not willing to leave the service in the midst of such a struggle, and after a time re-enlisted. This was on October 27, 1863, and he became a member of Company H, Second Michigan Cavalry, and joined his regiment to take a hand in some of the hardest fighting of the war. He was with General Sherman in the great battles around Atlanta, at Kenesaw Mountain, at Dallas, Peach Tree, Columbus and other places. He had the misfortune to be taken captive at Franklin, Tennessee, and was incarcerated at Columbia. When he was in the prison five days he escaped with two companions, and for three days was trying to make his way to the Union lines. It was without avail, however, as they were all recaptured. Mr. Olmstead was then consigned to the prison at Meridian, Mississippi, and from there was taken to Selma, Alabama. He again escaped, but was once more recaptured. His captivity, however, was drawing to a close. He was exchanged at Vicksburg and was placed on the ill-fated Sultana with a multitude of others bound north. When near Memphis the boat blew up, and only five hundred soldiers were saved out of more than twenty-two hundred on board. He was finally mustered out of the government service June 28, 1865, having made a record of which any man might well be proud.
The war-worn veterans found their way to peaceful life, and the next we hear of Mr. Olmstead he is engaged in the tobacco business in Hastings, Michigan. He remained there until 1881, when he sold out and came to North Dakota on account of his wife's health. He filed claim to a very desirable piece of land, and his family soon joined him. He resided on this farm, which was a half-mile north of Larimore, Grand Forks county, for a year or more after their advent, and in 1883 he came to Larimore, entering into business with a stock of drugs and notions. He has the mercantile sense in a high degree, and the enterprise has steadily grown on his hands until it is nor one of the most important in this end of the county. Mr. Olmstead is a Republican, and as might be expected an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and is widely known as genial and popular gentleman. He was married in 1868, to Miss Marion Searles. She died in 1881, leaving two children, Lena, who is Mrs. O. H. Philipps, and Ola O., now deceased. In 1884 he was again married, Miss Loie Lane becoming his wife. She died in 1885, leaving no child. Mr. Olmstead was married, in 1890, to Nellie Hinds, by whom he has three sons, Charles L., Hiram E. and Norman V. They are bright and interesting boys, and the family circle is a charming one. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
WILLIAM C. OTTO
WILLIAM C. OTTO has the distinction of having opened the first general merchandise store in the now thriving town of Republic. Since those early days he has been an active business man of the town, and is today of excellent standing in the community.
William C. Otto was born in Ypsilanti, Michigan, on November 21, 1862, being the son of Casper and Mary Otto, natives of Germany and immigrants to America in the fifties, when they settled in Michigan. The mother died in 1863 and the father in 1892. They were the parents of four children, Fred, Annie McClellan, William C., and Frank. The father was a prominent farmer, whose family had high and influential connections. Our subject was educated in Ypsilanti, Detroit, and Cincinnati, Ohio, receiving excellent training and being well fortified for the battles of life. The first four years after he stepped forth from the parental roof were spent in managing a hotel at Grand Forks, Dakota. In 1888, he came to Washington and opened a store at Moses Crossing, Douglas county, where he did business for two years. Later, he removed to Almira, Lincoln county, and in 1896 came on to Republic. In the spring, in company with J. C. Keller, as stated above, he opened the first general merchandise store here. He continued in this connection until 1899 when the partnership was dissolved. Mr. Otto is now associated in the general merchandise business with Mr. Lester Sly, who is named elsewhere in this volume. This firm has continued in business since and now handles a fine patronage. Their store is well supplied with a large assortment of goods, and they are the leading merchants in this part of the country. Mr. Otto has collected property in addition to his merchandise establishment, owning city, mining and farm land.
In 1885, Mr. Otto married Miss Mary, daughter of John and Mary Stelzer, and a native of Cincinnati, Ohio. To this union, one child, Mabel was born, who is now being educated in Indianapolis, Indiana. On December 29, 1887, at Grand Forks, North Dakota, Mr. Otto was called to mourn the death of his wife. On February 9, 1903, in Bayard, Iowa, Mr. Otto married Mrs. Carrie Hafner, the widow of Walter Hafner and daughter of J. T. and Jane (Silcox) Perkins, natives of Massachusetts. The parents removed from the Bay State to New York and in 1886 to Iowa, where they now live at a good old age. They both have connections with prominent families of Revolutionary days. Mrs. Otto's grandfather, Timothy Perkins, enlisted with the early patriots in February, 1776, being a volunteer from Massachusetts. Mr. Otto is a liberal democrat, and has held various offices since residing in Republic, and fraternally, he is a member of the I. O. O. F., the K. of P., the M. W. A., and the Eagles. Mrs. Otto is a member of the Rebekahs, of the Methodist church, and of the Royal Neighbors. [SOURCE: "An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington"; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - tr. By Sandra Stutzman]
DR. ROBERT S. RAMSEY, D. D. S.
Among the leading professions that of dentistry has recently taken rapid strides toward the front ranks. The profession is graced by many able and skillful practitioners, and no one is more deserving of mention for the high plane to which he has ever sought to hold his calling than the gentleman whose name introduces this article. He has been a resident of Grand Forks for the past eight years, and has established upon a permanent basis a caluable and extensive practice.
Dr. Ramsey is a native of Canada, having been born in Ontario, August 7, 1864. His parents, James and Mary (Scott) Ramsey, are natives of Canada, and still reside in the land of their birth. They are the parents of two sons, Dr. W. R. Ramsey, of St. Paul, Minnesota, and our subject.
Robert S. Ramsey was reared and educated in Canada, and attended the College of St. Catherines, Ontario, from which institution he graduated in 1885. He took up the study of dentistry at St. Catherines in 1886, and in 1887 entered the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery, from which he graduated in 1889. He started for Dakota the same year, and for two and a half years he practiced his profession at St. Thomas, North Dakota. He then came to Grand Forks, and has been engaged in practice at this point since. In 1893 he took a course in Land's Post-Graduate College, at Detroit, Michigan. He is a member of the State Dental Society.
Dr. Ramsey was married, in 1889, to Miss Annie V. Brown, a native of Canada. To them one son has been born, namely, Roscoe. Dr. Ramsey is a valued member of society and is esteemed in the community in which he resides. He is a member of the Elks, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. He has been successful in his business, and has gathered together considerable property. He is the owner of a half-section of valuable land in Grand Forks county, besides other property, and has a practice well established and growing rapidly. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
THOMAS REGAN is a merchant of Larimore whose goods are genuine and whose word is as good as gold in Larimore and throughout Grand Forks county. He is mayor of the city, and is a genial and popular gentleman. He was born in county Limerick, Ireland, November 4, 1851, and was the fourth in a family if five children given to Thomas and Elizabeth (Curtin) Regan, both of whom are deceased. He came to the United States when a child of two years of age, and spent his early boyhood in Michigan, attending school at St. Clair. When he was seventeen he entered business life as a bookkeeper, and when twenty-one began business for himself as a merchant at LaMotte, Iowa. He was in company with a Mr. Kieffer, and the firm was known as Kieffer & Regan. In March, 1882, Mr. Regan made a visit to the Red river valley and was so pleased with the outlook that the firm of Kieffer & Regan transferred itself to Larimore that spring. A store building was just completed and the goods installed when the town was swept by fire and everything they had brought with them destroyed. Nothing daunted, they erected the front part of the building Mr. Regan now occupies, and business was resumed within twelve days after the fire. In 1895 the partnership, though friendly and highly successful, was dissolved, and since that time Mr. Regan has been alone in his business enterprises. He has developed an extensive commercial enterprise, and it had increased greatly in his hands. His stock now invoices from twenty-five thousand to thirty thousand dollars, and covers every line of general merchandise and clothing. As a tradesman he is progressive and popular. Without doubt he occupies the finest residence in the city, and he has furnished it in the most elegant manner. He is a Democrat and a man of high character. Mr. Regan was elected mayor of the city of Larimore in 1899, and is the present incumbent. He belongs to the Roman Catholic Church, and is a member of the order of Elks. He was a delegate to the Kansas City convention. He was married, in 1893, to Miss Frances DeRoche, and they are the parents of one daughter, Frances C. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
LUTHER B. RICHARDSON.
This gentleman is one of the most influential citizens of Grand Forks and has aided materially in its upbuilding. He was born in Berkshire county, Massachusetts, March 22, 1836.
The parents of our subject, Joel and Caroline S. (Mason) Richardson, were natives of Massachusetts, and the father was a cotton manufacturer, and in 1841 moved to Plattsburg, New york, and later moved to Lowville, Lewis county, New York, where he died at the age of seventy-two years, and the mother died there in 1893. Three daughters and four sons were born to them, all of whom remain in the East with the exception of our subject.
Mr. Richardson was educated in New York, attending the Lowville Academy, and taught school for some time beginning at the age of seventeen years. He began work as a traveling salesman and was occupied thus and also in other capacities five years, and then engaged in the drug trade at Lowville, and continued there four years. He then followed general merchandising and manufacturing of clothing and remained in New York until 1882. He then went to Minneapolis , and the same year went to Grand Forks, North Dakota, and engaged in the real estate and loan business and has continued there since that date, and has met with prosperity. He also engaged in the cattle business on the Mouse river for some years in the early days. He was one of the organizers of the Union National Bank, and and was its first president, and also assisted in organizing the Grand Forks National, and was vice-president of the same for a short time.
Our subject was married, in 1855, to Miss Sarah O'Donnell, a sister of Senator O'Donnell, of New York. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Richardson, named as follows: Luther B. and Mabel K. Mr. Richardson was elected mayor of Grand Forks in 1890, and again in 1892. He was appointed secretary of Dakota territory by President Harrison, and served as such from March, 1889, until the admission of North Dakota as a state. He is a stanch Republican and has been identified with that party since its organization in Dakota. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
SAMUEL W. RUTLEDGE, M. D.
For twenty years this gentleman has been known to the people of North Dakota as a prosperous and well versed physician, and he enjoys the distinction of being the pioneer homeopathic practitioner of Grand Forks. He was born in Hardin county, Ohio, December 31, 1852.
The parents of our subject, Thomas S. and Louisa (Williams) Rutledge, were natives of Ohio, and the father was a farmer and merchant and moved to Minnesota in 1856 and settled in Olmsted county, and later went to North Dakota, and now makes his home with his daughter at Cando.
Dr. Rutledge was one of a family of seven children, four sons and three daughters, and he was reared and educated in Minnesota, and taught five years, and then began the study of medicine. He entered the Homeopathic Medical College of Missouri, at St. Louis, and graduated from that institution the same year, and then began the practice in Iowa and remained in that state five years. He went to Grand Forks, North Dakota, in 1881, and has continued his practice there since that date. In 1893 he took a post-graduate course at the Homeopathic Medical College and in 1896 took a course at the Chicago Post-Graduate School. He took a special course in Chicago, and then took a short course in the New York Post-Graduate Medical School.
Doctor Rutledge was married, in 1877, to Miss Marian Fuller, a native of Iowa. Two daughters have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Rutledge. Dr. Rutledge is a member of the Homeopathic Institution of Minnesota, and the American Institute of Homeopathy. He was appointed a member of the state board of medical examiners in 1894, and reappointed in 1898. He enjoys a remunerative general practice, and as a citizen is deservedly popular with those among whom he has labored for so many years. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
MILO WAKELY SCOTT, M. D., who is to be found on section 3, Chester township, Grand Forks county, enjoys a wide reputation as an accomplished physician, a business man of more than the ordinary ability, and a man of personal integrity. As a practitioner of the healing art he has commanded a wide patronage and achieved a great success. As a citizen he was quickly called to responsible positions, and his voice was potent in determining the development of the new state.
The parents of our subject were Horace and Maria (Smith) Scott, the former a native of Massachusetts, the latter of New York. The paternal ancestors were of Scotch and English descent. Daniel Scott, the grandfather of our subject, was born in Massachusetts, and emigrated to New York at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Dr. Scott comes of a long-lived family. The grandfather died at the age of eighty-five, the father at the age of eighty-two. Daniel Scott had five sons and one daughter - Horace, Merrick, Asa, Walter, Jay and Lina. Horace Scott's family were: Daniel, Horace, Alonzo, Horton and Milo, Laura Ann, Lorinda, Cynthia, Helen and Mary. Dr. Scott is the only member of the family who is a resident of North Dakota.
Dr. Scott was born on a farm in Smyrna, Chenango county, New York, February 21, 1840, and was reared to manhood on the parental homestead. His early education was broad and deep, beginning in the public schools, continuing through the academy at Norwich and the State Normal School at Albany. Following his graduation from this school he immediately took up the study of medicine, and received a diploma from Rush Medical College in 1877. He also attended lectures at the University of Michigan, and at the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati. With a professional and general education far beyond the average he began the practice of medicine at Marshalltown, Iowa. In that city he remained about a year; he spent another year in Illinois. He was still not sure that he had found a suitable location, and he removed to LeSueur county, Minnesota. He did not make a prolonged stay in that region, and about 1879 entered North Dakota, and at once established himself at Grand Forks. He was in the city following his profession closely for some ten years, and then located where he is now living. He has been in continuous practice, and has greatly prospered in all the needed improvements, and possesses a farm worthy to be classed among the model places of the Red river valley.
Dr. Scott has been the recipient of many honorable appointments and public honors since his advent in Dakota. While he was in Grand Forks he was United States examining surgeon on the pension board, and this position he held until his removal from the city compelled his resignation. He was a member of the capital committee, which was appointed by the governor and legislature for the purpose of locating and building the capital of Dakota Territory, which is now the capital of North Dakota at Bismarck, and was one of the commission in charge of the building, and was treasurer of the commission. He has been coroner of Grand Forks county and county physician, and his duties in these positions were discharged with marked ability.
Dr. Scott was first married to Miss Jenette Smith. She died in Cazenovia, New York. His second wife was Miss Lizzie Osterhout. She died in Morristown, Minnesota, leaving one son, Horace F. His third wife was Miss Della E. York. She left one daughter, Della Grace. He was married to his present wife, Mrs. E. A. Gould. She was the widow of Walter Gould, a prominent attorney of Moorehead, Minnesota, and is a lady of much tact and ability. Dr. Scott is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Independent Order of Foresters. He is a genial and companionable man, and has many warm friends throughout the valley. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
CHARLES F. SIMS, vice-president of the Union National Bank and superintendent of the Minneapolis & Northern Elevator Company, is one of the pioneer settlers of North Dakota and a prominent business man of Grand Forks. He was born in Jefferson county, New York, October 10, 1831.
The parents of our subject, George and Hannah (Cross) Sims, were natives of Connecticut and New Hampshire, respectively, and the father was a farmer and moved to Wisconsin in 1860 and now resides near Janesville, that state, at the advanced age of ninety-six years. The grandfather of our subject, Robert Sims, was a native of Aberdeen, Scotland, and came to the United States about 1785 and settled in Connecticut and was there married. He later removed to Otsego county, New York, and in 1816 to Jefferson county, New York, and died in that state. The paternal grandmother bore the maiden name of Lydia Hanks. The maternal grandfather, Theo Cross, was a native of New Hampshire and went to Jefferson county, New York, in 1823, and his was one of the first families to settle in New Hampshire.
Our subject is one of five sons and is the only one now residing in North Dakota. He was raised and educated in New York in the Carthage Academy, and then learned the drug business at Antwerp, New York, and followed the same two years, and in 1854 went to Wisconsin and settled in Jefferson county and spent two years, when he went to St. Anthony, now Minneapolis, and was engaged in the drug trade there eight years. He started to Idaho in 1864 with an expedition and they were attacked by Indians near Fort Rice and after three weeks were rescued by United States troops and were returned. Twelve men were killed and the others of the number returned to New York. Our subject went to St. Cloud, Minnesota, in 1865, and engaged in milling there one year and then started for Montana with twenty-four teams of flour under the guidance of Captain Fisk, who had charge of the previous expedition. This last pushed through to Helena and arrived there with ox-teams. Our subject remained there three years and followed freighting, and in 1868 returned to Douglas county, Minnesota, and remained there until 1877. He had charge of the Alexandria mills and was postmaster one term. He went to California in 1877 and engaged in bee culture until 1878, when he returned to Alexandria and entered the employ of the Pillsbury & Hulbert Elevator Company which was changed to the Minneapolis & Northern in 1885, and our subject came to Grand Forks in 1882 and has had charge of the affairs of the company in that place since that date. He was one of the organizers and one of the first directors of the Union National Bank and is now vice-president of the same.
Mr. Sims was married, in 1861, to Miss Laura E. Dorman, a native of Minnesota and a daughter of Daniel W. Dorman. Mr. Sims is a Republican in political sentiment, but has never sought public office, devoting himself to the business interests, and is highly esteemed by his many friends. A portrait of Mr. Sims will be found in connecting with this sketch. [Compendium of History and Biography, Transcribed by Christi Boyer]
HON. JOHN. W. SCOTT, auditor of Grand Forks county, has served in that capacity many years and is one of the best known and most highly esteemed officials of the county. He is efficient, faithful and possessed of true Americanism and his high standing and enviable reputation is well merited. For some years he has been identified with the agricultural interests of Grand Forks county, and still owns a large and well-improved estate in this county. He owns nine hundred acres in the township of Gilby.
Our subject was born in Ontario, Canada, October 21, 1849, and is a son of George and Elizabeth (Noyes) Scott. His father was a native of Ireland and came to America about 1835 and his death occurred in Canada. Four sons constituted the children of this family, of which our subject and one brother are the only ones of the family in North Dakota.
Mr. Scott was reared and educated in Wisconsin and began his business career as a farmer and followed the same in Wisconsin until 1880. He came to North Dakota in 1879 and entered a homestead claim to land in Grand Forks county, on which he resided until 1892, when he was elected to his present office. He thoroughly improved the place and it is one of the pleasant farms of the locality. Mr. Scott was elected auditor of Grand Forks county in 1892 and began to serve in that capacity in 1893 and was again elected to that office in 1896, evidencing his efficient work and popularity. He was elected county commissioner in 1881 and was the first commissioner from the fifth district. He was elected as a member of the state legislature in 1884 and served one term.
Our subject was married, in 1875, to Miss Ella Harshman. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Scott, five of whom are now living and bear the following names: Roy, Charles, George, Ruth and Harry. Mrs. Scott died in 1891. Mr. Scott was afterward married to Miss Hannah Varner. Three children have been born to this union, named Hannah, Leona and Ada. Mr. Scott is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He is a stanch and life-long Republican and has served on the county central committee of his party. [Compendium of History and Biography, Transcribed by Christi Boyer]
EBENEZAR SMITH, deceased, was one of the old residents of North Dakota, and is remembered by those who were in Grand Forks county during the '80s as a man of force and character. He was born near Hamilton, Ontario, and was the oldest child of John and Margaret (Kirton) Smith. He accompanied the family in its removal to Will county, and Kankakee county, Illinois. He was afterwards a farmer in Indiana, and came to North Dakota in the spring of 1880, and located on section 14, Mekinock township, Grand Forks county, and engaged very earnestly in the working of converting the wild prairie into a fertile farm. He died in the month of January, 1887, and left behind him a good name. He was married in Kankakee county, Illinois, to Miss Susan Hempstead, a native of England. She is still living. They were a congenial couple, and took much interest in neighborhood and social matters, and were regarded as one of the leading families of the township. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
ANDREW VEITCH, whose pleasant and attractive home is on section 11, Mekinock township, Grand Forks county, is one of the older settlers of North Dakota, and has done not a little in the way of improvement and progress for his adopted state. He was born on a farm in St. Lawrence county, New York, November 13, 1852, and received his early education and his preparation for the cares and responsibilities of life in that community. He remained on the parental homestead until 1875, when he went to California and had his first engagement in that state weighing wheat during the summer on an extensive farm. He remained in the employment of the man who first gave him work for four years,, and then returned to his parents' home in St. Lawrence county, New York. His stay in the east was brief, and in 1880 he came to North Dakota, and took up a homestead on section 4, Mekinock township, which was his home until 1890. That year he settled on the farm, where he now resides.
For twenty years Mr. Veitch has been a resident of the Dakota country. During that time he has worked hard, practiced economy, and is now the owner of nearly one thousand acres of land, which is becoming more and more valuable with every passing year. He was married in Grand Forks, North Dakota, June 22, 1887, to Miss Bell Nelson. She was born in Ontario, and is a lady of many attractions. They have two children, Mildred and Edith. Mr. Veitch has been treasurer of Mekinock township for sixteen years. In 1898 he was a candidate in the Republican convention. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belongs to the Presbyterian church, and is one of the trustees of that order. He is an able and honorable man, and has many friends throughout the county. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
BENJAMIN F. WARREN, who resides on section 23, Mekinock township, is one of the prominent and influential citizens of Grand Forks county, and is generally regarded as one of the leading farmers of Grand Forks county. He was born in Joliet, Illinois, March 10, 1854, and spent the early years of his life native county. When he was about fifteen years of age he accompanied his parents to Benton county, Indiana, where he spent the next ten years. He was educated in the public schools, and at the State Normal School at Valparaiso, Indiana, and when it came time for him to select a life vocation he devoted himself to agriculture. He dwelt in Indiana until the spring of 1880. That year he came to North Dakota, and settled upon the homestead where he is still to be found. It was then wild prairie, and his title runs directly from the government.
Mr. Warren was not satisfied with doing what was absolutely necessary to the improvement of his place. He has adorned and beautified it in every way possible consistent with his means. He has set out numerous trees, erected good buildings, and is not the proprietor of a productive and well-kept farm of eight hundred acres, and takes high rank among the successful farmers of North Dakota. Mr. Warren and Mrs. Christina K. Hempstead were married in Grand Forks, June 18, 1880. She was born and reared in Will county, Illinois, and is a lady of much more than the ordinary character. They have two children: Charles B. and Estella M. He has taken an active interest in educational matters since coming to Dakota, and has served upon the township board of education for many years. He has also held other offices, and has exerted considerable influence in his neighborhood. He and his wife are identified with the Presbyterian church, and are much esteemed as members and workers in that body. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
EZRA H. WILDER, the well known grain buyer for the Minneapolis & Northern Elevator Company at Arvilla, Grand Forks county, was born in Erie county, New York, February 16, 1850. He was the first in a family of eight children bestowed upon John and Jane (Clark) Wilder. The father is dead, but the mother survives. Young Ezra was brought up on the farm, and was educated in the locals schools. In 1860 the family moved west to Green Lake county, Wisconsin, and six years later to Blue Earth county, Minnesota, our subject accompanying them in their western migrations. In the spring of 1882 he came to Fargo, North Dakota, and assumed the management of the Woodruff farm, and two years later entered upon his present avocation of grain buying. In the spring of 1887 he was superintendent of several farms belonging to Charles A. Pillsbury, of Minneapolis, comprising in all about eight thousand acres. He was in his employment nine years. He had a store in Arvilla, which he conducted for three years. While he was in the store he organized the Arvilla Grain Company, taking charge of the elevator. In 1900 he entered upon the work noted above. He is a capable, energetic business man, and makes a success of whatever he lays his hand to. He is a Republican and holds to the principle of strict prohibition as the only policy for the state to pursue. In 1896 he was elected a member of the county board, and served as chairman in 1899, and is still a member of the board, which position he has filled with much credit. He was married, in 1874, to Miss Mary E. Aiken, and one daughter has been born to them, who is now dead. They occupy their own home in Arvilla, a neat and attractive building put up in 1899. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
ERNEST F. SPRAGUE is handling at the present time, a furniture and undertaking establishment, which is one of the prominent business houses of the town of Wenatchee and has been since 1901. Mr. Sprague is one of the substantial citizens of the town, is a man of uprightness and integrity and has always so conducted himself as to win the respect and esteem of all. He was born in Sauk county, Wisconsin, December 5, 1855, the son of Amos P. and Susan (Reed) Sprague, natives of New York. The father is descended from a prominent New England family which has always played a conspicuous part in governmental affairs. His cousin was governor of Rhode Island and others held leading positions. He died in 1877 while in Virginia. The mother now lives with her son at Grand Forks, North Dakota, and the Reeds were prominent people in New England. Thomas B. Reed was a member of the family. Our subject was educated in the district schools until twelve and then completed his training in a business college. When twelve he took a man’s place on the home farm until twenty-five. Then he came west and learned painting and finishing and followed the same for many years during summer months. In the winters, he did nursing. In 1897, Mr. Sprague came to Puyallup and opened a furniture and undertaking business. Later he went to Montana and then returned to Puyallup, whence in 1901 he came to Wenatchee and continued the business he had followed on the coast, and in which we find him engaged at the present time. Mr. Sprague handles a good stock of furniture and is also a licensed state embalmer.
Mr. Sprague has three brothers and one sister: Amos D. and Frank, Baptist ministers; Edwin; and Clara M., wife of Fred Poppy, of Sauk county, Wisconsin.
In March, 1884, Mr. Sprague married Miss Nellie Starks, at Reedsburg, Wisconsin. Her parents were natives of New Hampshire and her father was a general in the Mexican War. Later he was warden of the state penitentiary of Wisconsin for many years. His son, Captain John Starks, died from a wound received in the battle of Shiloh. In 1887 Mrs. Sprague died. Two children had been born to Mr. and Mrs. Sprague, both dying in infancy. In 1889 Mr. Sprague married Bertha Carr, of Reedsburg, Wisconsin, whose parents, Alonzo and Mary (Dearholt) Carr, were natives of Ohio. The father now lives in Wisconsin. The mother died in 1884. The children of this household are named as follows, Ernest R., Preston A., Clara M., and Ruth T. Mr. Sprague is a member of the M.W.A., and the Yeomen. In political faith he is with the Republicans, and takes an active part but never aspires to personal preferment for political positions. [SOURCE: “An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington”; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 – Tr. by Tammie Rudder]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails