Transcribed by Fred Coleman
from the Illustrated Historical Atlas of Traill and Steele Counties,
North Dakota, p. 10.
Published by J. J. Kelly & Co. Mayville, ND, 1892.
John Anderson was the first settler in Norway township. He settled near the Goose River, about four miles west of the City of Hillsboro, in 1871. M. O. Christ. and H. O. Kaldor, Lars E. Moen, Andrew Peterson, Ole Engebertson and many others, came here about the same time. When first organized, in 1882, it included the town of Logan. To honor their motherland in Europe, the settlers, who were ail natives of the Scandinavian Peninsula, named the town Norway. The Goose River flows through the town, giving it good drainage and the settlers an abundance of timber. The settlers have secured number of flowing wells, which are very useful. , The well on the farm of Ole Engebertson, in Section 35, is the larges and finest in the Goose River Valley. There are four public schools, one private school and two Norwegian Lutheran churches. The one known as the Harstad church was the first building in the county erected for religious worship.
J. H. Johnson, T. L. Thorstad and A. P. Waalein, are the Town Board of School Directors; T. T. Jahr, Town and School Clerk, G. A. Harstad, School Treasurer J. H. Johnson, Chairman; P. H. Waalein and Ole Hegg, Supervisors; G. A. Harstad, Clerk; M. O. Kaldor, Treasurer, and T. T. Jahr, Assessor.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails