County, North Dakota
HON. ROGER ALLIN
The highest gift within the power of the people of North Dakota was bestowed upon this gentleman in the fall of 1894, and he served one term as governor with honor and distinction. He now resides on section 22, in Fertile township, Walsh county, where he located in the early days of the settlement of that locality, and his active public career and honorable service have gained him a high position in the minds of the people.
Mr. Allin was born in Devonshire, England, December 18, 1848. His father, Roger Allin, died in England, and the mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Walter. She married a second time, and became the wife of William Bond, and when our subject was three years of age the family came to Oshawa, Ontario, where they settled on a farm, and there our subject grew to manhad and received a common school education and followed agricultural pursuits. He resided there until 1880 when he went to Michigan and after a short stay there came to North Dakota, in April, 1881, and entered claim to one hundred and sixty acres of land in Fertile (then Pembina) county, where he has since resided, and has followed farming with marked success. He has erected a complete set of commodious and substantial buildings on his farm, and otherwise provided for the comfort of the inhabitants thereon and the economical conduct of the place, and he now owns and cultivates two hundred and forty acres of land. Upon the organization of Fertile township in 1882, he was elected justice of the peace and held that office several years, and he has since served in all the important offices of his township. He was elected to the territorial council in 1886 and re-elected in 1888, and the following year was elected a member of the constitutional convention, and in the fall of 1889 was elected to the state senate and served one term in that capacity. In 1891 he was elected lieutenant-governor of North Dakota, and served one term and in the fall of 1894 was elected governor. During his term of office he conducted the affairs of the state judiciously and brought credit to himself and the state. He has always acted with the Republican party and has been an active worker in that party in the state of North Dakota. He takes a hearty interest in church work and is identified with the Presbyterian denomination, of which he has been a member the greater part of his life, and is one of the ruling elders of the church. Our subject was married in Grand Forks, North Dakota, March 22, 1882, to Miss Isabella McKenzie, a native of Canada. One child was born to Mr. and Mrs. Allin named Isabella, who died in infancy. Mr. Allin was appointed by the late governor Briggs as a regent in the Agricultural College at Fargo. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Knights of Pythias and Independent Order of Foresters.[History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
CARL F. ANDERSON, whose home is on section 29, Grafton township, has been a resident of Walsh county since the first great influx of settlers crowded into that region in 1880, and he has done his share toward the upbuilding and improvement of his adopted county. Mr. Anderson is a native of Norway, and was born June 21, 1853. He remained in 'his native country until about twenty years of age, when he came to America. He located first at Big Rapids, Michigan, and was employed at railroad work for about five years, and then went to Mitchell county, Iowa, and engaged at farm labor until 1880. In the spring of that year he came to Walsh county, North Dakota, and took a homestead claim to a quarter-section of land in section 29, Grafton township, and there he has since made his home. He has been successful in his farming operations and has gathered about him valuable property. He has erected good buildings and has a comfortable and commodious residence, besides many outbuildings for his stock and machinery and for the garnering of his crops. Mr. Anderson was happily married, and the lady of his choice was Miss Bertha Olson. The wedding occurred in Mitchell county, Iowa. Mrs. Anderson was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, Alay 17, 1857, and she has been a true helpmeet to her husband in his many and arduous undertakings in pioneer days. They are the parents of eight living children, and two died in infancy. The names of the others are as follows: Albert, Oscar, Martin, Mary, Ida, Emma, Clara and Lillie. Mr. Anderson is one of the best known men in the county, and has gained many warm personal friends by his strict adherence to justice and uprightness of character. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
Walsh county owes much of its prosperity to the industry and thrift of her foreign-born population, and among these should be mentioned the gentleman whose name introduces this sketch. He has made for himself and family a pleasant home on section 15, Fertile township, and has surrounded it with the conveniences of modern farm life. Mr. Anderson is a native of the kingdom of Sweden, and was born April 26, 1829. He remained in his native land until twenty years of age, and then went to Norway, where he resided about seven years. In Norway he worked at the trade of stonecutter and mason. In 1855 he came to America and proceeded direct to Beloit, Wisconsin, where he arrived in June of that year. He followed his trade in Rock county, Wisconsin, for about ten years, and then went to Worth county. Iowa. There he continued to work at his trade, and also .engaged in farming for the period of about twelve years. In 1878 he came to Dakota and took up government land on section 28. Fertile township. Walsh county, and has made his home there ever since. Although, owing to his ill health, he has been able to do but little work personally, yet he has erected a substantial residence, and many farm buildings for shelter of his stock and machinery and the storing of his grain, and has placed many valuable and convenient improvements upon his estate, greatly enhancing the value of the farm. He now owns one hundred and sixty acres of excellent lands, though formerly he was the owner of a half-section. Mr. Anderson was married in Norway to Johanna Gunderson. To this union ten children have been born, eight of whom are living, named in the order of their birth as follows : Andrew ; Betsey, now the wife of Hans Onsrud ; Olava, now the wife of George Thompson ; John ; Sophia, now the wife of Fred Sinkler; Carl, and Ida, the wife of Nels Folson. The two children who died are John, who died at the age of two years, and Annetta, who became the wife of Ule Everson and died in Grand Forks county, at the age of twenty-six years. Mrs.. Israel Anderson died April 19. 1900, and her taking away leaves a void in this family that nothing can fill. She was a good wife and a faithful mother. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by B.Z.]
WILLIAM D. AND SUSIE E. BATES
NEWS & TIMES, of Grafton, a consolidation of the News, which was established in 1881, and the Times, which was established in 1882, is one of the leading papers of Walsh county, and is now ably conducted by Mrs. Susie E. Bates, widow of William D. Bates, who conducted the paper for many years with success. The paper was consolidated in 1883 and the first editor was H.C. Upham, who acted in that capacity till 1889, when the paper passed into the hands of William D. Bates.
Mr. Bates was born in Cherry Valley, New York, and went to Hastings, Minnesota, when a boy, and there learned the printer s trade, which he followed in Minnesota until 1882, and that year came to Grand Forks, North Dakota, and acted as foreman of the job department of the Herald, and came to Grafton in 1883 as foreman of the News & Times, and the following year went to Park River and purchased the Gazette, of that place. He conducted the paper there three years and then returned to Grafton in 1887 and purchased the Herald, which he conducted for some time as a daily and weekly. In 1889 he purchased the News and Times and consolidated it with the Herald and conducted the paper until his death. The sheet was Republican until 1896, when it was changed to a Democratic paper and is now the organ of that party in Walsh county. Mrs. Bates now has full control of the paper and edits a bright and newsy sheet and the paper enjoys a circulation of fifteen hundred copies in Walsh and adjoining counties. Mr. Bates was married in Minnesota, in 1882, to Miss Susie E. Mayhew, a native of Minnesota. Three children, two sons and one daughter, were born to Mr. and Mrs. Bates. Mr. Bates died October 30, 1898. At the time of his demise he was a member of the Order of Foresters and was well known and highly esteemed throughout that locality as an able business man and citizen. [Source: "History and Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JACOB P. BIRDER
President of the Bank of Park River, is one of the best known and most widely respected citizens of Walsh County. His financial interests are of extensive nature and he is actively engaged in numerous of the most important business enterprises of that locality. Thrifty, industrious and possessed of excellent business qualifications and broad ideas, he enjoys the confidence of those with whom he has to do and has a large circle of business and social friends. He has been a resident of Park River, Walsh County, since 1885 and engages in banking and real estate business.
Our subject was born in Bohemia, Austria, June 2, 1858. His boyhood days were spent in his native country and in 1870 he came to America, and on his arrival went at once to Winneshiek County, Iowa, where he lived about ten years and then went to what is now South Dakota and remained there until he went to Walsh County in 1881. He went to Grafton and engaged in the mercantile business with Peter Oleson and Peter Sandager, under the firm name of Birder, Oleson & Sandager, and they continued in business until 1883, when Mr. Birder sold his interest and went to Park River and engaged in the general merchandise business there until early in the '90s, since which time he has been engaged in banking and real estate. The Bank of Park River (a private institution) was organized in 1886 with Henry Keller, president, and C. D. Lord, cashier. In 1890 it was reorganized as a state bank and Mr. Birder became president and Mr. Lord continued as cashier. Mr. Birder has since served as the head of the institution and ably conducts the affairs of the same. He is also a stockholder in the Scandia American Bank, of Crookston, Minnesota, and is a stockholder in the First National Bank, of Grafton, and is also a stockholder in the Cando State Bank. He laid out what is known as Birder addition to Park River, which comprises sixty acres of land, and he owns nearly two thousand acres of land in North Dakota. Mr. Birder was married, in Grafton, North Dakota, to Miss Gertie Sandager. Mrs. Birder died in Park River, North Dakota, in 1886. Mr. Birder married Miss Minnie A. O'Reilley, in Park River, North Dakota. Mr. and Mrs. Birder have been the parents of five children, of whom two sons and one daughter died in infancy, and two sons are now living and bear the names of Don Jacob Vivian and Cecil Edward Eugene. Mr. Birder erected a handsome residence in 1896, which is second to none in the state, and the appointments of the home bespeak culture and refinement in every particular. Mr. Birder was elected treasurer of Walsh County in the fall of 1882 and served one term, and was the first elected treasurer of the county. He has always taken an active interest in public affairs wherever he has resided and is identified with the Democratic party in political sentiment. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Laurel Durham]
HANS J. BREKKE.
A prominent position as a citizen and a member of the farming community of Grafton township, Walsh county, is held by the gentleman above named. He is of foreign birth and brought to this country the habits of thrift and economy characteristic of the children of the Scandinavian peninsula. He resides in section 31 of Grafton township, and has a pleasant home and well-regulated farm.
Our subject was born in Christiania, Norway, March 26, 1859, where he was reared and educated. He remained in his native country until 1878, and then emigrated to America and located in Fillmore county, Minnesota. He worked out at farm labor about two years until the early summer of 1880, when he went to Walsh county, North Dakota (then Grand Forks county) and entered claim to land in Walsh Center township. He lived there several years and then settled
on section 31, in Grafton township, and has resided there continuously since that date. He has thoroughly improved his farm with good buildings, and modern machinery is used in conducting the place. He now owns three hundred and twenty acres of good land and has made a success of his vocation in North Dakota. Our subject was married, in Grafton township, February 20, 1893, to Miss Josie Helgennes, a native of Iowa. Three children have been born to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Brekke, named as follows: Helger, John and Ruth. Mr. Brekke has devoted his career to agricultural pursuits and has made a success of his calling and is well known as an early settler and an energetic farmer of Walsh county. [Source: Compendium Of History And Biography. Transcribed by Carol Eppright.]
HON. KNUTE O. BROTNOV
Few young men have attained the prominent position accorded this gentleman in North Dakota. He has served as a member of the state legislature two terms, and his efficient service and oneness of purpose commend him to all alike, and he enjoys increasing popularity. He has a pleasant home in section 32 of Grafton township, and is proprietor of a fine farm. Our subject was born in Norway, September 25, 1885, and when about three years of age came with his mother to America in 1869, his father having died in Norway. After his arrival in this country, a home was made in Winneshiek county, Iowa, and they remained there until 1878 and then removed to Cottonwood county, Minnesota, and lived there about one year. Mr. Brotnov came to North Dakota with his mother late in the fall of 1879 and settled on section 32, in Grafton township, Walsh county, where he has since resided. He was one of the first settlers of Walsh county, and has followed farming there continuously since that time. He now owns nearly four hundred acres of choice land, and has erected a complete set of substantial buildings, and has a good farm. Our subject was married in Grafton, North Dakota, December 19, 1896, to Miss Sophia Kringstad, who is a native of Norway. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Brotnov, upon whom they have bestowed the name of Stella M. Mr. Brotnov has filled most of the offices in Grafton township, and served as assessor of the township when he was but twenty years of age. In the fall of 1896 he was elected to the North Dakota legislature, and re-elected in the fall of 1898 on the Independent ticket. He holds membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Independent Order of Foresters. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
An ex-soldier and prominent early settler of Forest River Township, Walsh County, has a fine farm in section 29 and enjoys prosperity. He was born in Oxford, Chenango County, New York, February 5, 1826. Mr. Carpenter was reared in his native county until five years of age when his father removed to Steuben County, New York, where our subject grew to manhood, and where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. He continued thus employed until he went to Missouri in 1868, with the exception of the time spent in the Civil War. He went to Chariton County, Missouri, and remained there until 1878 and in the spring of that year went to Dakota Territory and entered claim to land on which he has since made his home. He now owns two hundred and forty acres of choice land, and has made a fine property of the wild land which he first began to till and improve and enjoys the comforts of a rural home.
Mr. Carpenter enlisted June 12, 1861, in Company H, Eighty-sixth New York Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned second lieutenant of the company, and was promoted to the rank of captain in August, 1862. He served till the close of the war and can review those years of his career with justifiable pride. He is a member of Lewis McLain Hamilton Post, No. 15, G. A. R., of Grafton.
Our subject was married in Steuben County, New York, to Elizabeth Symonds, a native of Chenango County, that state. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter, of whom four are living and bear the following names: John A., Ira W., George E. and James T. The deceased children were named as follows: Charles, Anjenette and Perry. Mr. Carpenter has served as justice of the peace continuously since taking up his residence in Forest River Township, with the exception
of one year, and has also filled the office of township assessor, and in 1890 was census enumerator for three townships in Walsh County. He is widely known and is held in high esteem by all with whom he has to do, and is a man who keeps pace with the world, and is a stanch advocate for good government and takes an active part in local affairs of import. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Laurel Durham]
JOHN L. CASHEL, of the fourth legislative district, Grafton, Walsh county, was born in New York City on June 24, 1848; is married and has two sons. Came to North Dakota from Faribault, Minn., in 1881. Was educated in the common schools. University of Wisconsin at Madison, Galesville University, Galesville. Wis., and Wayland University. Beaver Dam. Wis. Has held the office of state senator for fourteen years and was re-elected without opposition. Was an alderman at Grafton for six years; sixteen years on the board of education at Grafton and president of the board. He was elected to the senate as a democrat. He has engaged in banking and farming since October 1, 1881. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF GRAFTON, was organized January 1, 1883, and succeeded the Walsh County Bank, which was founded in 1881. This was a private bank, and was founded by F. T. Walker, D. Rhombery, of Dubuque, Iowa, William O Mulchay and J. L. Cashel. Mr. Walker was president and Mr. Cashel was cashier, and they had a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars and did a general banking business. Upon the organization of the First National Bank of Grafton, the capital stock was increased to fifty thousand dollars, and Mr. Walker was chosen president, Mr. Leisikow, vice-president, and Mr. Cashel, cashier. Mr. Walker died in 1889 and was succeeded as president by Mr. Leistikow, who is now serving as such, and Mr. Cashel is still cashier. The bank has an undivided profit and surplus of sixty-five thousand dollars, the largest of any bank in the state, and deposits run from two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to three hundred thousand dollars.
John L. Cashel, cashier of the First National Bank, is a man of excellent business qualities and has made a success of his career, and has extensive financial interests in and around Grafton.
Mr. Cashel was born at New York City, New York, in Kings county, June 24, 1848. His parents moved to Clark county, Ohio, when he was five years of age, and when ten years of age he removed with them to Buffalo county, Wisconsin, where he was reared and educated and remained there until twenty-three years of age. His father was a farmer by occupation and died in Wisconsin. Our subject taught school four years and also conducted a business college at lacrosse, Wisconsin, for five years, and in 1876 removed to Rochester, Minnesota, and from there to Faribault, Minnesota, where he remained three years, and in 1881 came to Grafton, Walsh county, North Dakota. He purchased town lots and erected the building in which the Walsh County Bank was established, and he has followed banking and farming here continuously since. He at one time owned one-half of the town site of Grafton, and is now interested largely in real estate. Our subject was married, in Wisconsin, in 1875, to Miss Margaret Morris, a native of that state. Mr. and Mrs. Cashel are the parents of two sons, named as follows: Thomas M. and John L., Jr. Mr. Cashel served as a state senator in 1891 and 1893, and was again elected in 1898. The former election was on the Republican ticked and the latter on the Democratic ticket. He is a popular and efficient officer, and in 1896 was a candidate for lieutenant-governor, and has taken an active part in public affairs since residing in North Dakota. [Source: COMPENDIUM OF HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY. Transcribed by Carol Eppright.]
An agriculturist of prominence in Walsh county, has been a resident of Prairie Center township for twenty years, being one of the pioneers of the region. His pleasant home on section 1, surrounded by the comforts and conveniences of modern country life, shows little trace of the primitive conditions under which he began his career in North Dakota. Mr. Christenson was born in Winneshiek county, Iowa, near Decorah, April 4, 1854. He was reared and educated in his native county, and although his education was all obtained within the county, he managed to get the best it afforded. He attended the common schools. In 1874 he left Winneshiek county and went to Clay county, Minnesota, where he took up a homestead claim and lived there for six years. He then sold it and came to North Dakota and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on section 1, Prairie Center township. This was in April, 1880. He improved his estate, and from time to time erected buildings for the storing of his crops and shelter of his stock and machinery, and today there is not a better improved or more valuable farm to be found within the township. He is the owner of three hundred and forty-four acres of land, and is regarded as one of the substantial and influential citizens of the county. Mr. Christenson was married in Clay county, Minnesota, January 20, 1878, Miss Ginna Anderson becoming his wife. Mrs. Christenson is a native of Norway. Three children bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Christenson, named in the order of their birth, Cara M., Caroline E. and Denora E. Mr. Christenson has always taken an active interest in affairs of the public nature, and has been called upon to fill many local offices of trust. He has been president of the school board for fifteen years, served upon the board of arbitration, and also as township trustee. He is also an active church worker, and is a trustee of the United Lutheran church. His well-known integrity and fair-minded liberality have brought him the esteem and confidence of all men of every party and of whatever faith. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
HON. JAMES A. DOUGLAS
Ex-county treasurer of Walsh county, is a gentleman of excellent character, and is widely known and honored throughout his community. He is now engaged in the hardware and machine business in Grafton, and is successful in his business. Our subject was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, January 1, 1847, and is a son of James and Letitia (Mullholland) Douglas, both of whom were natives of Ireland, and their families were of Scotch descent. The parents died in Ireland, and the father followed farming during his career.
Mr. Douglas was reared and educated in Ireland, and remained there until twenty-two years of age, and in 1870 emigrated to America and located in Ontario, Canada, where he remained fifteen years, and where he taught school and was engaged in the general merchandise business. He came to North Dakota in 1885, and purchased land near Park River, and later established the first general merchandise store at Hoople, and also bought grain. He operated this store five years, and in 1892 was elected county treasurer of Walsh county, and re-elected in 1894. He removed to Grafton in 1892, and in 1897 engaged in the hardware business, and he is also interested in the machine business in that city.
Our subject was married in Canada, in January, 1874, to Miss Annie Scott, a native of the same county in Ireland as Mr. Douglas. Eight children, seven sons and one daughter, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Douglas, two of whom are now deceased. Mr. Douglas is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Order of Foresters and Knights of the Maccabees. He was a member of the constitutional convention of 1889 from the third district, and also served one term as state representative,
being elected in 1891. He is an old-line Democrat, and a leader of his party in Walsh county. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
The vocation to which this gentleman has devoted his career is one of the honorable callings of man, and he has met with unbounded success in his undertakings. Mr. Evenson is an agriculturist of sound practical knowledge and experience, and his estate in Farmington township, Walsh county, is one of the best tilled and improved places of the locality. He is an old settler of his township, and since taking up his residence there has striven to further the better interests of the community as well as to add to his personal possessions, and is well and favorably known. His handsome residence is in section 24, and the other buildings of that place evidence the thrift and prosperity of our subject, and the care which he bestows upon the operation of his farm.
Mr. Evenson was born in Norway, June 10, 1855, and resided there until about twenty years of age. After attaining his manhood he emigrated to America and went direct to Hamilton county, Iowa, and was employed there six years at farm labor. He came to Dakota in April, 1880, and entered claim to land in Farmington township, Walsh county, as a homestead, and in Martin township, as a tree claim, been a resident of Farmington township. He now owns five hundred and thirty acres
of land, and all the improvements of his place have been placed there by himself, as the land was wild when he first began operations thereon. The losses and experiences of pioneer life in the Northwest were his, as is incident to that time and place, but amid these drawbacks he has prospered and now enjoys the rewards of honest and earnest efforts. Our subject was married, in Walsh county, North Dakota, to Miss Christina Johnson, a native of Norway. Mr. and Mrs. Evenson are the parents of six living children, named as follows: Josie, Edward, Robert, Selma, Hannah and Caspar. Two other children, Robert, who died at the age of nine months, and Henry, who died when five months of age, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Evenson. Our subject is a man of strict integrity of word and deed and is highly esteemed by all. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
HON. HENRY FERRIS
Residing in the town of Ardoch, Walsh county, is proprietor of a farm of two hundred acres, and has gained an assured position as a citizen and agriculturist. He has gained his property and good name by the exercise of industry and the strictest integrity, and his active services for the public good. His entire tract is well improved and tillable, and altogether makes up an estate whereon a remunerative business may be done by one who devotes himself to his work and intelligently looks after the details of farm life.
Our subject was born in the county of Frontenac, Ontario, February 4, 1865. He resided in his native place until the fall of 1879, and received a good education in the common schools. He went to Walsh county, in 1879, where he has since made his home, and has aided materially in enhancing the value of the properties of Ardoch township, and now has one of the thoroughly cultivated tracts of his community.
Our subject was married in Grand Forks county, North Dakota, to Miss Jane A. Stead, a native of Ontario. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Ferris, named in order of birth as follows: Lottie, Fred and Clarence. Mr. Ferris was elected to the Dakota legislature on the Fusion ticket in the fall of 1897, and served one term in that capacity and proved his efficiency as a public official. He has also been called upon to serve in various local offices, and has been
a member of the township board of supervisors, justice of the peace, and constable, and in every instance has administered the duties of his position with fidelity and increasing popularity. He is a man of good principles, and adheres strictly to justice and the upbuilding of the better interests of those among whom he makes his home. He is active in his farm life, and enjoys well-merited success financially. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
JOHN H. FRAINE, of the fourth legislative district, is a republican and a resident of Grafton, Walsh county. He is a lawyer, is married and has one son. Mr. Fraine was born at Worksop, Notts, England, April 2, 1861 and was educated in the public schools of that place. He came to North Dakota in 1885 and has resided there continuously since. He has long been deeply interested in the National Guard of the state and served as major of the North Dakota regiment in the Philippines during the Spanish-American war. He is serving his third term as representative, being elected speaker of the house at the 1913 session. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
MAJOR JOHN H. FRAINE
This gentleman occupies a prominent and influential position as a member of the North Dakota bar. He has an extensive practice in Grafton, North Dakota, and his practice has brought him in contact with the most learned members of the profession in the state, and he is recognized as a gentleman of broad ideas and excellent qualities. He has recently returned from the Spanish-American war with the rank of major, and during his service earned high honors for loyalty and bravery. Our subject was born near Sheffield, Nottinghamshire, England, September 7, 1861, and is the son of John and Elizabeth (Cook) Fraine, the former a native of Ireland, and the latter of England. His father was an ivory-worker and came to America in 1866 and settled in Brooklyn, and now resides in Waterbury, Connecticut. Our subject is one of the four sons who grew to manhood, of whom one brother and our subject reside in North Dakota. Mr. Fraine was reared and educated in Springfield, Massachusetts, and remained in that state until 1878, and then spent some years in travel. He came to North Dakota in 1885 and settled at Grafton, where he finished reading law and was admitted to the bar in May, 1891. He at once began the practice of his profession and continued alone until January 1, 1893, when he formed a partnership with Judge Sauter, which existed until Judge Sauter was appointed district judge of the newly created seventh judicial circuit. Mr. Fraine gave his entire attention to the practice of law until the breaking out of the Spanish-American war, when he enlisted, April 26, 1898, as captain of Company C, First North Dakota Infantry. Prior to that he had been captain of Company C for five years as a member of the National Guard. He sailed for Manila in May, 1898, and served seventeen months, and was discharged with the rank of major of the First North Dakota, Second Battalion. During the service he participated in twenty-four engagements, including the battle of Manila, Santa Cruz, and was with General Lawton in three campaigns. He served with distinction and honor to himself and country. He has met with good success as an attorney and has an increasing practice. Our subject was married, in 1882, to Miss Marian Robinson, a native of Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Fraine are the parents of one son, named John R. Mr. Fraine is prominent in secret society circles, and holds membership in the Masonic fraternity, Order of Elks and the Independent Order of Foresters. He is independent in political faith, and wields his influence for good local government. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
OLIVER M. FRASER
As a gentleman of the highest integrity and an efficient public officer of Walsh county, the gentleman above named is well known. He has served five successive terms as auditor of Walsh county and has built up an enviable reputation for uprightness of character and sound financial methods. His career has been on of continued successes in every direction in which his faculties have been directed and in matters tending to promote the general welfare and to develop the business or society interests of his adopted town he has taken a hearty interest and aided materially in various ways in the upbuilding and strengthening of good local government and as a man and citizen is held in the highest esteem. Our subject was born in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, June 12, 1859. His parents, John and Kate (Mowat) Fraser, were natives of Scotland and Canada, respectively, and passed their lives in Canada, where the father was a merchant. Our subject was reared and educated in Canada, attending the Collegiate Institute. He spent some time afterward in Canada and in 1880 went to Grand Forks, North Dakota, and engage in the lumber business there one year and then engaged in the machine trade and in 1883 came to Grafton. Here he worked in the county treasurer s office two years and was also engaged as city justice and also followed the loan and insurance business during 1887-1888 and in the fall of 1888 was elected county auditor. His efficiency and popularity are best evidenced by the fact that he has been elected to that office five consecutive times. He is also United States commissioner for North Dakota. Our subject was married in 1889, to Miss Eugenie Gjeme, a native of Norway. Mr. and Mrs. Fraser are the parents of two sons and one daughter. Mr. Fraser is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Foresters and Knights of Pythias and in political sentiment has been a life-long Democrat. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler
HON. GEORGE HILL
Among the prominent men now living in Ardoch, Walsh county, who have won an honorable name as a citizen of that thriving town, none is better deserving of special mention than Hon. George Hill. He has risen to prominence by dint of his own efforts, and is a gentleman of indomitable will and intelligence and commands the confidence and esteem of the people. He is engaged in the hardware business in Ardoch and is successful as a business man. Our subject was born in Wellington county, Ontario, June 23, 1860, and was reared on a farm in that county and received a common school education and continued his residence there until 1880, in which year he went to Minnesota, and was there engaged in civil engineering for J. J. Hill on railroad work for two summers and then removed to Ardoch, North Dakota. He soon afterward established in the hardware business in Ardoch, in which he has since continued, and formed a partnership with W. A. Fox, under the firm name of Fox & Hill. Our subject was married in Ontario to Louisa J. Shaw, a native of Ontario. Two sons have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hill, upon whom they have bestowed the names of Arlington G. and Lee R. Mr. Hill was elected to the North Dakota legislature in the fall of 1894, and served one term, and proved himself an efficient member of that body. He has been president of the village school board for some years, and also village clerk, and is always interested heartily in the upbuilding of his village and county, and is an earnest worker for the advancement of the business and social interests of the people. He is identified with the Republican part politically, and is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He was appointed postmaster of Ardoch, North Dakota, in July, 1897, still serving in that capacity. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
NELS T. HEDALEN
Of the third legislative district, was born in Valders, Norway, January 20, 1859, where he acquired his education. He came to the United States at the age of sixteen years and located near Decorah, Iowa. In 1878 he entered St. Ansgar's Academy, at St. Ansgar, Iowa. In 1881 he came to North Dakota and took a homestead in Walsh county, engaging in farming. He was elected as county commissioner in 1888 and served for six years. He was married and is now a widower, his wife dying in 1909. He has five sons and five daughters. He was elected representative in 1910 and reelected in 1912. as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
LESLIE J. HERBISON is an able representative of the farming community of Farmington township, Walsh county, and has been a resident of that locality for fifteen years, and is well and favorably known. He has an excellent farm, good buildings and a comfortable home, and has gathered about him a host of friends who willingly accord him a prominent place as a citizen and agriculturist. His residence is in section 25, where he located in the early days. Our subject was born in Leeds county, Ontario, February 5, 1852, and was reared on a farm. He assisted with the work there and learned his first lessons in agriculture from practical work on his father s farm. When nineteen years of age he left home and came to the United States, in 1869, and first settled in Flint, Michigan, where he lived eight years, engaged in lumbering. He then went to Montana in 1879, and was engaged in stock raising and mining until the fall of 1885, when he came to Walsh county, North Dakota. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in 1886, and has been a resident thereon since that date. He has thoroughly improved his place, and added to his acreage from time to time, and his farm now extends over four hundred acres, and the entire tract is improved and tillable, and general farming is carried on there. Our subject was married in Redwood Falls, Minnesota, to Miss Carrie Allen, a native of that state. Three children who died in infancy were born to Mr. and Mrs. Herbison. Mr. Herbison is a man of earnest endeavors and active public spirit, and has served his community in various offices of trust and in the fall of 1898 was a candidate on the Republican ticket as a member for the state legislature. His success is the result of a well-spent career, and his life is worthy the emulation of the rising generation. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
ANDREW P. HEROM
A son of the land of Norway, has been a resident of Walsh County for about twenty-one years, and during that time has established himself firmly in the esteem and respect of his fellow men. His pleasant home is on section 28, Walsh Center Township. Mr. Herom was born in Voss, Norway, March 20, 1858. He grew to young manhood in his native land and in 1876 came to America County, near Northwood. He then spent one year in Saint Ansgar College. In the early summer of 1879 he came to Walsh County, Dakota, and took up a homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres in Walsh Center Township, where he has since resided. He is now the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land, and has brought it to a high state of cultivation, and has improved his property by the erection of various farm buildings, and other conveniences in the prosecution of agriculture. Mr. Herom was married in Grafton, North Dakota, to Miss Annie Svensrud. Mrs. Herom is a native of Norway, but her own home and the happiness of her husband and children have so occupied her mind that she has come to regard North Dakota as her permanent abiding place. To Mr. and Mrs. Herom three children have been born, named in order of birth, as follows: Annie, Julia and Peter W. They have a pleasant homestead, surrounded by all the conveniences and comforts of farm life, and they have been given the advantages of the best education the common schools afford. Mr. Herom has been active in local public affairs and has been selected to fill the offices of township treasurer, township assessor, and has always been active in the interest of education in his community. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Laurel Durham]
The incomes from the well-regulated farms of Farmington township, form a large part of the wealth of Walsh county, and one of these carefully-cultivated tracts belongs to the gentleman whose name introduces this review. It is located in section 36 and consists of one hundred and sixty acres, on which buildings of substantial construction and good design have been erected. He also owns one hundred and sixty acres in Grafton township. Modern methods are used in carrying on the work of the farm and various arrangements have been made by which the soil can be more easily tilled and the products more perfectly garnered and disposed of. Mr. Hein is one of the early settlers of that locality, and although a citizen of foreign birth, he has become thoroughly identified with American progress and customs and is one of the influential citizens of his locality. Our subject was born in Germany, February 16, 1849, and spent his childhood and boyhood there and remained until 1871, when he came to America. He landed at Baltimore and soon after his arrival went to Olmstead county, Minnesota, and worked at farm labor in Minnesota until 1882. In the spring of that year he went to North Dakota and at once purchased land, on which he now resides in Farmington township, and has his home in section 36. Mr. Hein is well versed in his calling and his honest industry and careful management have brought about most satisfactory results and his home and surroundings are of the most pleasant nature. Our subject was married, in Germany, to Miss Minnie Martin, who was born in Germany, February 12, 1852. Mr. and Mrs. Hein are the parents of nine children, named in order of birth as follows: Amil, Hulda, Charles, Minnie, Ida, John, Edward, Mary and Lizzie. One child died in infancy. Charles Hein, the second son of our subject, was a soldier in the Spanish-American war and was a member of Company C, First North Dakota Regiment. Mr. Hein has spent his career in agricultural pursuits and takes little part in public affairs and is one of the highly esteemed and energetic men of Farmington township. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
P. L. HJELMSTAD, Edmore, of the third legislative district, was born near Cannon River Falls, Minn., August 15, 1875. Received his education in the common schools of Minnesota and North Dakota. Came to North Dakota with his parents, May 6, 1882, settling in Grand Forks county. Moved in 1898 to Walsh county where he has engaged in farming. Has held minor positions on school and township boards. He is married and has five children. Was elected representative as a progressive republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
CARL R. JOHNSON.
This gentleman has been identified with the farming interests of Walsh county for over twenty years, and during that time has always been found standing for right and justice and has gathered about him a host of true and loving friends. He has a pleasant estate, well improved, and has made a success of his vocation, and has a comfortable competence to tide him through his declining years. Our subject was born in Sweden, July 16, 1851, and was reared and educated in his native country. He spent his early business life there, and in 1880 emigrated to America, thinking the advantages for an energetic and intelligent man were more favorable than in his native land, and has made a success of his career since taking up his residence in North Dakota. Soon after reaching the United States, in the spring of the year he went to North Dakota, and in the fall of the same year entered a homestead claim to one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 9, of Martin township, where he has since held continuous residence. He has erected first-class buildings on his homestead farm, and conducts the place on modern and most economical plans, and now owns and operates three hundred and twenty acres of good land. Our subject was married in Grafton, North Dakota, December 3, 1885, to Miss Mary W. Nelson. Mrs. Johnson was born in Sweden, November 7, 1857. Six children complete the family circle, and are named in order of birth as follows: Hulda A., Carl R., Jr., Holger J., Ellen A., Gerhard F. and Adolph R. One son died in infancy. Mr. Johnson is devoted to his farm work, and takes little part in public affairs. He is intelligent and progressive, and his home is well kept an furnished with good taste and in the accumulation of this property Mr. Johnson has been an important factor in the development and growth of the great agricultural resources of the state. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
HON. AUGUSTUS H. KELLOGG
One of the early settlers of Walsh county, and one of its most prominent men from the first, has his home on section 28, Medford township, where he has resided continuously since 1881. Mr. Kellogg was born in Litchfield, Herkimer county, New York, August 14, 1834. There he lived with his parents until the spring of 1847, when he removed with the family to Wisconsin. They settled in Dane county, near Madison, and there our subject grew to manhood. In the fall of 1854 he went to Minnesota and took up land in the spring of 1856, in Olmsted county, under the pre-emption laws. He lived there and in Goodhue county until 1881. In April of that year he went to Dakota Territory, to what is now Walsh county, North Dakota, and located on the one-hundred-and-sixty-acre tract of land that is his present farm, and upon which he has since continuously resided.
Mr. Kellogg has always been a man who took a lively interest in all public questions, and has been prominent in political life. In 1861, October 10, he enlisted in Company D, Fourth Minnesota Infantry, and was assigned to the Army of the Tennessee. For three years he served his country in its time of peril, and has been ready at all times to do his duty as a citizen or as a soldier. In the fall of 1894 he was elected to the legislature of North Dakota.
He has been a justice of the peace for many years, and has served in many of the township offices. He has held a commission of a notary public since 1882. In 1890 he was appointed one of the enumerators of the census for the townships of Medford, Rushford, Eden and Vernon. He was again appointed in 1900 enumerator for the townships of Medford, Cleveland and Vernon. Mr. Kellogg was married in Olmsted county, Minnesota, Mrs. Laura M. Baker, nee Worthing, becoming his wife. They are the parents of five children, whose names are as follows: Annie L., now the wife of George W. Millhouse; Fred A.; Grace G., now the wife of Edward Adler; Boyd V. and Guy H. Mr. Kellogg is one of the best-known men in Walsh county and northeastern North Dakota, and is held in high esteem by all who know him because of his sterling integrity
and native worth. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
DR. P. U. LABERGE
Physician and surgeon of Grafton, North Dakota, has gained an assured position as a citizen and leader of his profession through his excellent work as a practitioner, and is a gentleman of broad mind and good education. Our subject was born near Montreal, Canada. August 22, 1860, and is a son of Joseph and Julia (Darias) Laberge. His parents were natives of Canada, and both died in their native country. Of three sons born to this worthy couple, our subject is the only one residing in North Dakota. Dr. Laberge was reared and educated in Montreal and took a classical course in Montreal College, graduating in 1879. He began the study of medicine in 1882, and entered the Victoria University of Montreal and graduated therefrom in 1886. He began the practice of his profession the same year in Franklin county, New York, but soon afterward moved to Ogdenburg where he remained a short time. He came to Grafton, Walsh county, in December, 1886, and has followed the practice of medicine in the county and city continuously since that date, and has built up a remunerative and ever increasing patronage. Our subject was married, in 1888, to Marie Deschenes, a native of lower Canada. Two daughters have been born to Doctor and Mrs. Laberge, one of whom is now living. Dr. Laberge served as president of the United States pension board from April, 1894, to 1898, when he resigned, and he has also filled the position of county coroner and county physician for four years. He is the local surgeon for the Northern Pacific Railroad. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of America and Knights of the Maccabees, and is medical examiner for five life insurance companies, including the Mutual, of New York, the Manhattan, of New York, and the Equitable, of New York. He has been superintendent of the county board of health for the past six years, and has devoted his entire attention to the practice of his profession, and has been well rewarded and is deservedly popular with the people. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
JOHN H. LANBERG
The lands beyond the sea have sent their full quota of energetic and industrious men to Walsh county, and many have won high positions as citizens, business men and agriculturists. Of the men who entered Dakota in pioneer days, and by the exercise of honest industry have become worthy citizens and a credit to themselves and their country, the gentleman above named is entitled to a foremost place. He has devoted his career to farming, and now has a fine estate in Martin township, his home being located in section 9. Our subject was born in Sweden, February 21, 1849. and remained in his native place until twenty years of age, when he emigrated to America, in 1869. He landed in New York and at once went from there to Illinois and later to Minnesota, where he was employed at railroad work for about three years, and then worked at farm labor in Minnesota. In the spring of 1880 he left Minnesota for North Dakota, and soon after his arrival there he entered claim to one hundred and sixty acres of land in Martin township, Walsh county, upon which farm he has since resided. He has thoroughly improved his property, and has erected excellent buildings for the comfort of the family and stock, and the protection of the products of the place, and his real estate now covers three hundred and twenty acres of land. He has followed general farming and has been successful in his work. Our subject was married in Martin township, Walsh county. North Dakota, to Miss Johanna Martinson, a native of Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Lanberg are the parents of three children, named as follows : Samuel J., Josephine M. and Andrew H. Mr. Lanberg always had the welfare of his adopted country at heart, and has entered into the public affairs of his township and served in various official positions, including constable and justice of the peace, in which capacity he has served for several years. He is a gentleman of excellent character, and has gathered about him a comfortable home and many friends. His portrait, found in this publication, shows the kind of a man who could accomplish what our subject has done, and will be looked upon with interest. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by BZ]
O. T. LOFTSGAARD, (Hoople), of the third legislative district, was born in Clayton county, Iowa in 1859, and received his education in the common schools of Iowa. Came to North Dakota in 1882, taking a homestead in that year. Has served as clerk of the town board for the past twenty-four years and has held other positions and was elected to his present position in 1912 as republican. He is married and has six children, four sons and two daughters. He has been engaged in farming for the past thirty-one years. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
Superintendent of the Walsh county poor farm, has served in that capacity for the past two years, and has made a success of the work there. He was also superintendent two years before, from 1888 to 1890. He is well versed in agricultural pursuits, having devoted his career to farming, and his keen observation and practical experience, together with his industrious character and good judgment, commend him to all with whom he has to do. He is owner of a pleasant farm in Kensington township, Walsh county, where he located in pioneer days. He owns a five acre lot in city of Park River, with a good residence. Our subject was born in Gray county, Ontario, May 24, 1853, and was reared there on a farm, and in the spring of 1881 went to North Dakota. He pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres of land in Kensington township, Walsh county, where he also had a homestead, and has followed farming continuously thereon since that date, and has made a success of his vocation. He has held his present position as superintendent of the county poor farm since 1899, and the farm of which he has charge is well developed and cultivated, and in every particular evidences careful management and painstaking work in its operation. Mr. Loughead was married in Kensington township to Miss Elizabeth Craig, and Mrs. Loughead died in September, 1890. Three children were born of this union, as follows: Mary, Robena; Robert W., who died February 14, 1895, aged seven years; and Florence E. Mr. Loughead married Sophia Craig, a sister of his first wife, in Kensington township, and of this union three children were born, named as follows: Hugh A., Ida M. and William E. Our subject has served as a supervisor of Kensington township, and is the present chairman of the township board, and also has held various school offices, and takes an active part in public affairs of local importance. He is a consistent member of the Presbyterian church, and is active in religious work. He is an exemplary citizen, well known and deservedly popular. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
JUDGE WILLIAM McKENZIE
County judge of Walsh county, is so well known throughout that region that he needs no introduction to the people. He has served in the capacity of county judge for many years, and his services have been given with a public spirit and oneness of purpose that commends him to all as a citizen of true worth, and an officer in whom the people may repose every confidence. He has been a resident of Grafton since 1889, and his "friends are legion." Our subject is a native of Prince Edward island, British Columbia, and was born June 15, 1852. His parents, Murdock and Rachel (McLeod) McKenzie, were natives of Scotland, and emigrated to British Columbia in 1840, and settled on Prince Edward island, later moved to Ontario, and in 1879 came to Walsh county, North Dakota, and remained there the remainder of their lives. The mother died in 1880 and the father in 1891. Six sons were born to them, two of whom now live in Walsh county. Mr. McKenzie was reared and educated in Ontario, Canada, and went to Grand Forks, North Dakota, in 1878, and came to Walsh county the following year and established a general store at Sweden, and conducted that business until 1884. He then moved to Auburn and remained there until 1888, when his stock was destroyed by fire and in November, 1889, he came to Grafton. Upon the death of County Judge James Currie, in 1889, Mr. McKenzie was appointed to fill his unexpired term and has been re-elected continuously since that date. He was admitted to the bar of North Dakota July 12, 1890, and is widely known as a gentleman of superior legal information. He was postmaster at Sweden and Auburn while a resident of those towns. Our subject was married, in 1882, to Miss Fannie Ocohock, a native of Michigan. Mrs. McKenzie died in 1889. One son and two daughters were born to Mr. and Mrs. McKenzie. Our subject is a member of the Knights of Pythias and Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is chairman of the county insanity board and is prominent in public affairs. He has considerable farm property and has conducted wheat raising since 1879. he is one of the popular men of his county and his many friends will be delighted in his excellent portrait in this publication. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
ALEXANDER H. McGILVERY
Residing on section 28, in Ardoch township, Walsh county, is an early settler of that locality, and is successfully conducting a good farm. He has built a good home there and aided in developing the agricultural district in which he chose his pioneer home and is entitled to special mention as a worthy citizen and industrious agriculturist. Our subject was born in Perth, Lanark county, Ontario, August 1, 1859. He was reared on a farm near that town and received a common school education and remained in his native place until 1879, when he decided to try his fortune in North Dakota and went to Walsh county. The following year he entered a homestead claim to land in Ardoch township and settled on the farm on which he has since resided. His buildings are substantial and furnish shelter for stock and products, and he has met with unbounded success, and is now the proprietor of an estate covering four hundred and eighty acres of land, and engages in general farming. Our subject was married near Minto, Walsh county, North Dakota, to Miss Annie J. Laurie. Mrs. McGilvery is a native of Perth, Ontario, and is a lady of refinement and presides over the household duties with true dignity and grace. Four children have been born to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. McGilvery, named as follows: James A., Margaret J., William L. and Louise. Mr. McGilvery was elected county commissioner in the fall of 1896 and served three years, and he has also served as chairman of the board of supervisors for several years, and is also township clerk, and is an active and public-spirited citizen, laboring earnestly for the advancement of his community and the general welfare of those among whom he resides. He is associated with the Democratic party politically. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson]
D.C. MOORE is a native of Lewis county, New York, and was born in 1851. He was reared and educated in his native state and went to Iowa in 1872 and engaged in the real estate business there until 1875 at Decorah, and then followed the practice of law until 1879, and was then elected sheriff of the county and again served in that capacity in 1881. He resigned his office to go to Grafton, North Dakota, and has been associated with the bank of which he now has the management since that date. He is a man of excellent business qualifications and whatever enlists his attention is almost sure of meeting with success. He is careful and systematic in all details and has a clear head and a good education, and is well-known as a man of the highest honor and is respected by all with whom he has to do so. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He does not seek public preferment and takes no part in political affairs. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
OSMAND D. NELSON belongs to that large class of intelligent and enterprising farmers who have accumulated a good fortune in North Dakota, and have pleasant homes and comfortable surroundings. His estate is located in section 20, of Martin township, Walsh county, and is adorned by a commodious and substantial dwelling, barn and outbuildings, and modern machinery is used in the operation of the place, and the latest and most approved methods are seen in the conduct of the farm. Our subject was born in La Salle county, Illinois, December 23, 1852, and when about four years of age removed with his parents to Story county, Iowa. He was reared to manhood in Iowa and spent his early life there as an agriculturist, and in the spring of 1880 came to North Dakota. He entered claim to one hundred and sixty acres of land in Martin township, Walsh county, as a pre-emption, and at once took up his residence thereon and has resided there continuously since that date. He now owns and operates three hundred and twenty acres of choice land, and his farm evidences careful management and painstaking work in its operation. Mr. Nelson is now one of the well-to-do men of his township. Our subject was married in Story county, Iowa, in the spring of 1883, to Miss Julia Thompson. Mrs. Nelson was born in Norway, and after five years of happy married life departed this life in Martin township, Walsh county, North Dakota, September 23, 1888. Two children were born to bless this union, named Gertie and Johnnie. Mr. Nelson was married to Miss Hulda Nelson, of Martin township, Walsh county. Mrs. Nelson is a native of Sweden, and presides over her household duties with true dignity of manner. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Nelson, named as follows: Julia, Manvel and Anthony W. Mr. Nelson has held various local offices and the general welfare of his adopted state is always foremost in his efforts. He is recognized as a gentleman of progressive ideas and public spirit, and commands the respect and esteem of his associates. In politics he is a Republican. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler ]
State treasurer, was born at Telemarken, Norway, September 6, 1852. When but a year old he emigrated with his parents to this country, where he located at Winneshiek county, Iowa. He came to North Dakota in 1881 and engaged in the mercantile business. He was sheriff of Walsh county from 1884 to 1888. He was member of the board of the blind asylum, acting as its president. He is married and has two daughters. He was elected to his present position in November, 1910, and re-elected, 1912, as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
FRANK J. PROCHASKA
Editor and publisher of the "Park River News," first came to Park River, Walsh County, North Dakota, in 1888, from Chickasaw County, Iowa. He engaged in clerking in a store until 1893, and then spent one year at St. Paul, Minnesota, after which he returned to Park River, and was engaged as assistant cashier of the Bank of Park River. He continued in this position for something over two years, when he went to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and engaged in newspaper work at Ironwood until February, 1900, when he again returned to Park River and purchased the Park River News. The Park River News was established in July, 1897, by Doth & McLeod. They sold the paper to G. Buck, who conducted it until the fall of 1898, when the paper was sold to Charles Wilson & Co. It was of this firm that Mr. Prochaska purchased the paper in February, 1900. The News is an Independent Democratic newspaper and its circulation has reached about seven hundred, and is growing rapidly. Since assuming the conduct of the paper, Mr. Prochaska has improved the tone and vigor of its utterances, and has added to its general attractiveness as a newspaper. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Laurel Durham]
JOSEPH P. RYAN, M. D.
The medical fraternity has many representatives in North Dakota and it is as a foremost member of this profession that this gentleman is known. He enjoys a good practice in Grafton, Walsh county, and although a resident of that city comparatively few years, he has gained an assured position as a skillful practitioner and genial gentleman. Our subject was born near the city of Kingston, Ontario, Canada, August 22. 1871, and is a son of Joseph and Mary (McManiman) Ryan, who were natives of Canada and Ireland, respectively. His father is a lawyer by profession and moved to near Winnipeg in 1875 and was a member of parliament for ten years. He still lives in Canada and is the present judge of county court. He has four sons, of whom our subject is the only one in the United States. Dr. Ryan was educated in the McGill College, of Montreal, Canada, graduating from the medical department in 1896 and spent one year in the hospital of Toronto, Canada. He then went to Crow's Nest Pass in the Rocky mountains for one year as surgeon for the Canadian Pacific Railroad, and in the fall of 1898 went to Grafton and is now engaged in general practice there and enjoys an increasing patronage. Our subject was married, in June, 1899, to Alice Doyle, a native of Canada. To Dr. and Mrs. Ryan has been born one child, a son, born Alay 26, 1900. Joseph Bertram by name. Dr. Ryan is a member of the insanity board of Walsh county, to which position he was appointed in the summer of 1899, and he is also county physician of Walsh county. He also holds membership in the Modern Woodmen of America and Brotherhood of American Yeomen, and is examining physician for the last named order. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
CHARLES A. M. SPENCER
Intelligence and true citizenship are readily recognized by the people of a community and to such as possess these qualifications is entrusted the possibilities of the country. The gentleman above named is a pioneer attorney of Grafton, North Dakota, and not only the general welfare of his immediate community has been placed in his hands from time to time, but he has been called upon to direct his attention to the welfare of his county and state and in no wise has he been found wanting in public spirit or earnest labors. He enjoys an extensive practice in Grafton and is widely known as a leader of his profession in North Dakota. Our subject is a native of Ohio, and was born at Mansfield, Richland county, November 22, 1850. His parents, David M. and Sarah (Woodruff) Spencer, were natives of New York and Ohio, respectively. His father was a mechanic and farmer and went to Ohio in an early day and from there moved to Noble county, Indiana, in 1862. He served with an Indiana regiment through the war and was wounded in the Atlanta campaign and went with Sherman to the sea. He later in life moved to Iowa and died in that state in 1873, where the mother also passed away. They were the parents of two sons and two daughters.
Mr. Spencer was educated in the public schools of Indiana and in 1870 entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor and graduated from that institution in 1873 and at once began the study of law in the same school and graduated in 1875. He went to Washington (then a territory) in 1875 and was admitted to the bar there the same year, and began the practice of his profession at Vancouver, remaining there three years. The climate was not beneficial to him and in 1878 he returned to Northwood, Iowa, and practiced there until 1881, when he came to Grafton and has continued his practice there since that date. Mr. Spencer has served the county eight years at state s attorney and has also served as mayor and city attorney of Grafton. He was elected attorney-general in 1890, and after serving one term refused to accept the office a second term. He has devoted his entire attention to the practice of his profession and is enjoying an extensive and lucrative legal business. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity in all lodges of the order, including the thirty-second degree, and also holds membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias and is well known in secret society circles. He has been a life-long Republican and is an earnest worker in his county and state for party principles. [Source: Compendium Of History And Biography. Transcribed by Carol Eppright.]
HON. ALEXANDER THOMSON
To those who have borne a prominent part in the shaping of the policy of the Northwest much credit is due for the liberal and just institutions of the various states that have been created during the past few years out of that vast territory. Among them none deserve more prominent mention than the gentleman whose name heads this article. Not only for his part in the legislation of his state, but for the high ideals and steadfast integrity of purpose that have characterized his entire residence in North Dakota. His home is on section 6, Ardoch Township.
Mr. Thomson was born September 29, 1834, in Ottawa, Ontario. His early life was passed on a farm, chiefly in Gray County, Ontario. On reaching manhood he went to Bruce County, Ontario, took up land and remained there until 1879. For ten years he served as justice of the peace, and was a prominent and influential citizen in his county. In the fall of 1879 he removed to Dakota Territory and took up government land in Walsh County (then Grand Forks County), and he was rejoined by his family there two years later. He first located in Walsh Center Township, but afterward decided to locate in Ardoch Township. He has prospered in his agricultural pursuits, and is now the owner of six hundred and forty acres of land lying partly in Walsh Center Township and partly in Ardoch Township. He has a substantial and comfortable residence, with many outbuildings and other conveniences for the prosecution of the business of farming after modern methods.
Mr. Thomson was married in Kingston, Ontario, to Miss Margaret M. Thomson. Mrs. Thomson is a native of Ottawa, Ontario, and is of Scotch descent, as is also Mr. Thomson. They are the parents of nine children, named as follows: John R., a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in this volume; David A., Helen R. Jessie A., Agnes E., deceased; Samuel J., Margaret J., Frederick A. and Alfred H.
In political faith Mr. Thomson has always advocated the principles of the Republican party, and has taken an active and prominent part in public affairs. He was elected to the legislature of the new state of North Dakota in 1889. He also served as county commissioner for five years, and was chairman of that body, from which he resigned. In church affairs he has also been an active worker, and is a consistent and worthy member of the Presbyterian Church. He is widely known and highly respected throughout the county. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Laurel Durham]
GEORGE E. TOWLE
Cashier of the First National Bank, of Park River, is one of the able business men of that thriving town. He has ably conducted the affairs of the bank with which he is connected, and this is one of the solid financial institutions of the state. Mr. Towle was born in Oxford county, Ontario, August 18, 1860, and spent his boyhood days there and received a good education in the common schools and a thorough business training. He went to Grand Forks, North Dakota, early in the 80 s and about one year later located land in Rushford township, where he settled and lived for some five years. He was then engaged by the First National Bank as bookkeeper and later assistant cashier, and remained in that position until 1890 when he assumed the duties of cashier, and has ably filled the position and enjoys the confidence and esteem of the people with whom he has to do. The First National Bank of Park River was organized in January, 1887, with W. H. Beecher, president, and Sidney Clark, cashier. Mr. Clark served in the capacity of cashier until 1890, when our subject assumed the position. Mr. Towle was married in Park River, North Dakota, to Miss Florence M. Honey, daughter of C. H. Honey, of that city, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Towle, named as follows: Ida M., Ruth M., James E., and Ellen E. Mr. Towle takes an active interest in church work, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Politically he is a Republican and is firm in his convictions. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
COL. WILLIAM C. TREUMANN
This gentleman is well known in Grafton and vicinity as a loyal citizen and successful business man. He is engaged in the abstract business and has the only set of abstract books in the county, and has been a resident of Grafton since 1884, and has been identified with the business interests of that thriving city since that date. Our subject was born near Hamburg, in the province of Holstein, Germany, December 14, 1862, and is the son of August and Anna (Koenig) Treumann, both of whom were natives of that same province. The mother died in 1872, and in the same year the father and our subject and sister emigrated to America and settled near Defiance, Ohio. The father was a sailor and ship carpenter in Germany, and in 1873 they moved to LeSueur county, Minnesota, and there the father entered the employ of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad Company, and was killed at Mankato, in 1899, while in the discharge of his duties. Mr. Treumann was reared and educated in Minnesota, and worked in a mercantile establishment and kept books, and November 15, 1881, he came to Grand Forks, and began keeping books for a mercantile firm and filled that position for some time. He assumed charge of the branch store of the firm at Grafton in 1884, and continued with the house until 1885, when he engaged in the collection and loan business, and also served as deputy register of deeds. He began abstracting in 1888 and has continued in this business since, with marked success. He became a member of a military company in 1885, and was elected second lieutenant, and in 1887 the company became Company C, of the National Guard of North Dakota. He was lieutenant-colonel of the First National Guard Volunteer Infantry, and had command of the regiment during the campaign in the Philippines. He also commanded a brigade on several occasions and had command of the transport Grant on the return to this country. The regiment was in thirty-seven engagements, including the battles of Manila in August, 1898 and February, 1899, and Mr. Treumann was with his regiment in all battles with the exception of those of the Santa Cruz expedition, when only a part of the regiment went. He escaped without wounds and served eighteen months and was then mustered out as lieutenant-colonel of the regiment, September 25, 1899, and at once returned home and resumed his business in Grafton. He was brevetted colonel of volunteers, upon the recommendation of General Lawton. Our subject was married November 29, 1888, to Miss Elizabeth Baird, a native of Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Treumann are the parents of three children, as follows: William K., Oscar B., and Agnes E., all of whom are living. Mr. Treumann is a member of the Masonic fraternity in all branches, the Knights of Pythias, and Foresters, and was master of the North Dakota Military lodge at Manila. Politically he is a Republican. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
HON. NATHAN UPHAM, of Grafton, ex-register of deeds of Walsh county, and the first man to serve in that capacity in the county, deserves especial mention as being one of the leading men who helped to organize and execute many enterprises and to assist in the work of bringing order out of chaos in the early days of Walsh county and North Dakota. He is well known throughout the state and the Northwest. Nathan Upham was born in Nova Scotia, November 24, 1857. His parents, Henry and Charlotte (Peppard) Upham, were natives of Nova Scotia, where the father was superintendent of public instruction for fifteen consecutive years. He was a graduate of a Boston college and his parents were among the pilgrims. Our subject s grandfather was a sea captain and secured a large grant of land in Nova Scotia. In 1881 Henry C. Upham, the father of our present subject, came to Dakota and located at Acton on the Red river, then the only town in this region. He soon after went to Grafton and in the same year, 1881, started the Walsh County Times. The next year he purchased the News and consolidated the News and the Times, which he continued to publish until 1889. The paper was Republican in politics and the organ of the party. That year he sold the paper to Mr. Bates and retired from active business. He died in 1889. Of his six sons and three daughters, four sons are now living. On son died in Manila, having gone there as a member of Company C, First North Dakota Volunteers. Nathan Upham was reared and educated in his native land and in 1878 came to Dakota and first located on land near Drayton. He then spent some time in travel through the Northwest and British Columbia. In 1880 he came to Grafton and opened a lumber yard and also engaged in buying and shipping wheat. In 1880 he was appointed register to deeds of Walsh county, being the first person to fill that office in the county. He served in this capacity six years, having been twice elected to the same position. In 1886 he served as a member of the lower house of the territorial legislature. He was also elected probate judge of Pembina county, prior to the division of the two counties, but resigned to accept the office to which he was elected in Walsh county. He afterward engaged in farming on the Red river and his farming operations included in all sixteen hundred acres of land. He engaged largely in raising and handling of high-grade stock, especially Aberdeen Angus cattle. In 1897 he purchased the hardware business of J. Tombs & Sons, of Grafton, and has since conducted that business. He is one of the directors of the Grafton National Bank. Mr. Upham was married, in 1886, to Miss Agnes McDugal, also a native of Nova Scotia. They are the parents of four children, one son and three daughters. Mr. Upham is one of the pioneer Republicans of North Dakota and assisted in organizing the party forces in the state. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Knight Templar and a Shriner. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
RASMUS M. VIGNESS
A well-to-do and influential agriculturist of Walsh county, has his residence on section 28, Grafton township, where he has resided for the past twenty years, and where he is well known and respected for his integrity and many worthy characteristics. Mr. Vigness was born in Mower county, Minnesota, January 9, 1858. While he was yet a child his parents removed to Fillmore county, Minnesota, where he grew to manhood, and was educated in the public schools of the county. When he was twenty-two years of age he came to Walsh county, Dakota, arriving in the spring of 1880, and took up a homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres in section 28, Grafton township, and began to improve his property. He has been successful in his undertakings and has prospered. He is now the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of productive and valuable land, and he has added improvements from time to time, until there is not a more valuable tract of land in the county. Mr. Vigness is a thorough farmer and an industrious worker, and to his own efforts is due in most part his present comfortable circumstances. Mr. Vigness was married in Mitchell county, Iowa, to Miss Lisa Ask. Mrs. Vigness is an accomplished lady and is devoted to her home and family. To this union the following children have been born, who are now living: Melvin L., Chester L., Theodora M., Ruth L. and Olga I. In political faith Mr. Vigness is a Republican, and he has been active in local political matters and affairs of a public nature. He has been called upon to serve in the capacity of township assessor, and chairman of the township board, and in every relation to the public he has proved himself worthy of confidence, and a most exemplary official. He is also an active church worker, and is a worthy member of the Hauges Norwegian Lutheran church of Grafton. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
FRANK E. VORACHEK
Among the men who have won an honorable name as a public official of Walsh county may be mentioned the present treasurer, Mr. Frank E. Vorachek. He is now serving his second term in that capacity and enjoys the respect and highest esteem of his associates. He is proprietor of a general merchandise store in the town of Conway, and since accepting the office of county treasurer is a citizen of Grafton. Our subject is a native of Bohemia, and was born October 11, 1856. His parents, Joseph and Annie Vorachek, were natives of Bohemia, and the family emigrated to America in 1859, landing at New Orleans. They first located at St. Louis, Missouri, and later moved to Iowa, where they lived until 1881, and then went to Walsh county, North Dakota, where the parents died. Four sons and three daughters constituted the family, and all reside in the Dakotas. Our subject was reared and educated in Iowa and remained in that state until 1880, when he went to Walsh county and settled in Conway, in 1881, and followed farming there three years. He then engaged in general merchandising, which business he has since conducted with good success. Our subject was married, January 12, 1885, to Miss Mary Bina, a native of Bohemia. Two sons and three daughters have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Vorachek. Mr. Vorachek was elected county treasurer in 1896 and his efficient services and popularity are best evidenced by the fact that in 1898 he was re-elected. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Ancient Order of United Workmen, Modern Woodmen of America, Order of Foresters, and a Bohemian society of Conway, known as the C. Z. B. J. He is a Democrat politically and firm in his convictions. He went to North Dakota without means and is now one of the substantial men of Walsh county, and his success and popularity are well merited. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
NICHOLAS M. YOUNG
The active manager of the above institution, is a native of Canada, and was born in Ontario, February 6, 1860. He was a son of Richard and Jane (Eaton) Young, both natives of Canada, and his father was a lumberman and passed his life there. Mr. Young was reared and educated in Canada, attending the Clinton Collegiate Institute of Clinton, Ontario. He then taught school three years, and in 1881 went to North Dakota, and located at Drayton, and remained there and at Pembina and Grafton for some time in the newspaper business. He was associated with Frank M. Winship, in publishing the Walsh County News, and was manager of the Pembina Pioneer Express two years. He removed to Fargo in 1884, and began the study of law with Boyesen & Phelps, and completed the course with S. B. Bartlett, of Casselton. He was admitted to the bar in 1887, and then spent two years when R. M. Pollock in the practice of his profession. He went to West Superior, Wisconsin, in 1890, and engaged in the real estate and loan business three years, and then located in Casselton in 1894, since which time he has resided there. Our subject was married in 1890 to Ellen L. Davis, a native of Vermont. One son has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Young, who bears the name of Lucien F. Mr. Young is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and has passed the degrees of the Commandery, Knights Templar and Mystic Shrine. He is a Republican in political sentiment, but does not enter actively into party matters, lending his influence for good local government. He is a gentleman of excellent business capabilities, and progressive, and the institution whose affairs he conducts is under careful and approved business methods, and he is highly respected as a business man and citizen. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
A leading citizen of Park river, who is now living in retirement, was one of the early settlers of Walsh county, locating on a tract of land which he still owns in Kensington township, three and a half miles east of the village of Park River, in April, 1879. Mr. Wadge was born in Cornwall, England, July 26, 1830. At the age of three years he accompanied his parents to America. The family settled in the province of Ontario, Canada, where our subject was reared to manhood. He spent his boyhood on a farm, remaining in Ontario until 1871, when he removed with his family to the western part of Ontario. In November, 1878, he came to Dakota territory, to what is now Walsh county, North Dakota, and took up land in Kensington township. He made a success of farming, and in 1887 he retired from active life and has since lived retired in the village of Park River. Mr. Wadge was married, in Ontario, November 16, 1853, to Miss Mary Wright. Mrs. Wadge was born in Ontario July 18, 1833, and was reared to womanhood in her native county. They are the parents of the following children: Elizabeth, now the widow of William Townsend; Thomas, John, who died from the effect of an injury received in a runaway accident when he was twenty years old; Sarah J., now the wife of George Nicklin; Susan, the wife of Edward Code; Archibald E., Mary E., now the wife of Dr. Waugh of Park River; and William E.
Mr. Wadge has taken an active part in local affairs of a public nature, and has been identified with the Republican party on all leading issues. Mr. and Mrs. Wadge have been devoted church workers, and hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church of Park River. The universal respect and esteem in which he is held by the community evidences his worthiness of character and the integrity and Christian spirit in which he has dealt with his fellow men. His influence for good has made him a strong pillar in the church, and his circle of friends include all who have known him. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
P. McHUGH WALKER, M.D.
To an able practitioner and a young man who has rapidly risen to prominence in Dakota this review is devoted. Mr. Walker has been a resident of Ellendale a comparatively short time, but has already gained an enviable reputation and commands an extensive practice. He is well learned in his profession and is a close student and a conscientious practitioner. Our subject was born in Lindsay, Ontario, Canada, May 10, 1876, and was the fourth in a family of nine children born to Andrew W. and Catherine Costello, both of whom were natives of Canada. His father was born in 1832 and the mother in 1844. They are now living in Grafton, North Dakota, where the father conducts the real estate and insurance business and is a successful business man and is highly respected. Our subject removed with his parents to Grafton, North Dakota, in 1882, when he was a child and there received his early schooling, after which he entered the University of Notre Dame, at South Bend, Indiana, where he took a classical course two years and then attended the Lindsay, Ontario, Collegiate Institute, taking science. He then read medicine in the McGill Medical College, at Montreal, entering the school in 1893 and graduating with the class of 1898. He then made a trip to England for further research and traveled in England, Scotland, Ireland and France and for a time was a student in the University of Edinburg and also spent some time engaged at the Guys Hospital in London. From abroad he returned to Montreal and there remained about three months in the Victoria Hospital and then went to Dakota and after a short visit at his home located in Ellendale in the spring of 1898. He is associated with Dr. Merchant under the firm name of Merchant & Walker, and since establishing in Ellendale has steadily increased his practice. Dr. Walker is a member of the Knights of Pythias and is popular with his associates. He enjoys the confidence of the people and his success is assured in Dakota. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
ROBERT B. WARREN.
The Northwest has produced a race of agriculturists such as were unknown before the development of that wonderful agricultural region. The thrift and enterprise that characterize the people of North Dakota are found in no other part of the United States except in that favored region known as the great Northwest. Among those to whom a fair share of the credit for this condition of things in Walsh County is due is the gentleman whose name heads this brief biography. His home is on section 28, Forest River Township, where he has resided continuously since the beginning of civilization in that locality. Mr. Warren was born near Ottawa, Ontario, March 26, 1850. Until he was eighteen years of age he remained at home and then went to Ottawa, where he worked in a sash factory, following this business for about nine years, in March, 1878, he came to Dakota and at once "squatted" upon the farm on which he now lives, in section 28, Forest River Township. This he has made his home continuously since and has followed agriculture with great success. He is the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land, and this he has improved, erecting a substantial residence, barns and other outbuildings for the storing of his crops and the shelter of stock and machinery.
Mr. Warren was married, in Ottawa, Ontario, to Miss Eleanor F. Brennan, daughter of Henry Brennan, mention of whom will be found in this work. Mrs. Warren is a native of Ireland, but emigrated to America in early girlhood. Mr. and Mrs. Warren are the parents of six children, one of whom, Forest D., was the first white male child born on the Forest River. He joined Company C, First North Dakota Volunteers, and served in the Philippines. He took part in thirty-tour engagements. The other children are Bruce G., Robert B., Jr., Nettie M., Sadie A. and Roland A.
Mr. Warren was the first township clerk of Forest River Township and the first school clerk of his district, which office he held many years and did much to shape the policy of the schools of his locality in many important particulars. He is treasurer of the Walsh County Farmers' Fire Insurance Company and served one term as county commissioner. He has always taken a commendable interest in public affairs, especially of a local character, and has always been greatly interested in the moral and educational development of his community and county. He has held the office of justice of the peace for two terms. He is an active church worker and a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and is also a member of the Masonic fraternity, his initiation dating back to 1873. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Laurel Durham]
J. MORELEY WYARD
Publisher and editor of the Park River Gazette, has become an influential journalist in Walsh county and North Dakota, and has made a success of newspaper work, a profession to which few find themselves adapted. Mr. Wyard came to Park River in September, 1889, and established a newspaper, which he called The Witness. This paper he published until 1891, when he purchased the Gazette, and combined the two, calling the new paper the Gazette-Witness. Under this name he published the paper for about four years, when, dropping the Witness, he continued the publication under the name of The Park River Gazette. The Gazette espouses the cause of the Republican party, and has had much influence in the shaping of the policy and affairs of the party in Walsh county. Its circulation has passed the six hundred mark, and is destined to become the most widely circulated paper in the county. Mr. Wyard is entitled to much credit for the able management and strength he has displayed in the newspaper work[History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails