County, North Dakota
CALVIN SPENCE BEIGHLE
With the development of Ward county Calvin Spence Beighle, now a retired farmer living in Sawyer, has been closely associated. He was born in Ford county, Illinois, December 5. 1871, a son of Elias B. and Catherine (Wallace) Beighle. The father's birth occurred in Butler county, Pennsylvania, in 1836 and there he was reared and educated, removing to Adams county, Ohio, in 1851, making the trip westward by boat on the Ohio river. He engaged in farming near the town of Tranquility for eleven years, or until 1862, when, in response to the country's call for troops, he enlisted as a member of Company D, Second Ohio Heavy Artillery, with which be served for two and a half years. He was promoted successively to the rank of corporal, sergeant and first sergeant and he was on active duty in Tennessee, guarding the mountain passes until honorably discharged in 1865. He then returned to Adams county, Ohio, and in 1869 removed to Ford county, Illinois, where he continuously engaged in farming until 1904, when he retired from business life and took up his abode in Roberts, where he passed away in 1909. At different times he held local offices in his township, was also connected with the school board and was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. His wife was born in Adams county, Ohio, near Tranquility, in 1842, was reared and educated there and passed away on the old homestead farm in Illinois in 1883.
Calvin S. Beighle spent bis youthful days under the parental roof and supplemented his district school training by study in Grand Prairie Seminary at Onarga, Illinois. In early manhood he taught school in his native county for five years and in 1900 he arrived in Ward county, North Dakota, taking up a homestead on section 27. Willis township, near Sawyer. He was accompanied by his two brothers and a sister, Miss Turie Beighle, and all took up homesteads. They were the first settlers in their part of Ward county who were actual farmers, their neighbors all being ranchmen. Calvin S. Beighle proved up on his property in 1901 and returned to Roberts, Illinois, where he engaged in the farm implement business until 1906. He then again located on his homestead, which he further cultivated and improved until 1912, when he retired and went to Sawyer, renting his farms, comprising four hundred eighty acres. He is now secretory, treasurer and manager of the Farmers Elevator Company at Sawyer.
On the 2d of April, 1902, at Roberts, Illinois, Mr. Beighle was married to Miss Irene B. Bunker, who was born at that place and there obtained her education. She is a daughter of J. E. and Hannah M. (Bigelow) Bunker, natives of Maine. Her father was a sailor and served in the United States Navy during the Civil war. After the close of hostilities he went upon a whaling vessel and in that connection twice sailed around the world, but eventually established his home in Ford county, Illinois, where be engaged in farming. To Mr. and Mrs. Beighle has been born a daughter, Grace Louella, whose birth occurred in Roberts, Illinois, in 1912.
With community affairs Mr. Beighle has been closely associated. He was the organizer of Willis township, Ward county, and was the first chairman of the township board. He also served on the school board as long as he remained upon the farm and at the present time he is a member of the town and village boards and also of the school board of Sawyer. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and in 1914 he was its candidate for representative in the state legislature. He belongs to the Congregational church and is a member of its choir, possessing an excellent voice. He is rated as one of Sawyer's progressive citizens, enterprising and alert, and what he has accomplished entitles him to rank with the leading men of the town.[History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by BZ]
WALTER R. BOND
Walter R. Bond, of the twenty-ninth legislative district, was born at Mayville, New York. February 14, 1871. With his parents he moved to Grand Forks county, Dakota territory, in April, 1881. He received his education in the common schools of Grand Forks. In 1899 he moved west to Ward county. He is married and has two sons. He is a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
JOHN FRANCIS BOOTH
John Francis Booth, farming on section 12, Sawyer township, Ward county, was bom at Poughkeepsie. New York, October 11, 1862, a son of Charles Ouasard and Mary (Laws) Booth. The father's birth occurred on the Hudson, in New York, and there he remained until he reached early manhood. He became a contractor and architect and to those pursuits devoted his attention until the time of the Civil war, when he enlisted in a New York regiment for active service at the front. He was married in the Empire state and in 1866 left New York for Red Wing, Minnesota, traveling westward partly by train and partly by boat. He became a pioneer contractor of that section and there remained until 1870. when he removed to Sioux Falls, Dakota territory, where he engaged in carpentering. He also worked at Sioux City, Iowa, and was employed as an architect until 1881. when he withdrew from that field of business and opened an undertaking establishment at Sioux Falls, where he also conducted an art gallery. There he continued to make his home until his death, which occurred in 1913. when he was seventy-eight years of age. His wife was born in England and in her girlhood became a resident of New York, where she was reared and married. She parsed away in Red Wing. Minnesota, in 1869.
John F. Booth was educated in the district schools at Sioux Falls, South Dakota, then a frontier town, and in the fall of 1879. when a young man, he went to the present site of Huron, South Dakota, where he engaged in hunting and trapping for two years, or until 1881, after which he was employed at farm labor until 1882. At that date he went to the Mouse river in company with his brother Ed and James Wilson, and traveling overland by wagon, they eventually reached Stevens county, now Ward county, North Dakota, settling near the present site of the town of Sawyer. John F. Booth was one of the first settlers in that locality, there being at the time only three or four settlers who had come two or three weeks before Mr. Booth came and who had settled along the Mouse river. Mr. Booth squatted on some land before a survey was made and built a log house, cutting logs in the woods. While he broke some sod he largely .devoted his attention to hunting and trapping, securing fox, beaver, mink and other fur-bearing animals. He also hunted deer, the hides of which were sold for the linings of coats and robes. He had to go to Bismarck, a distance of one hundred and twenty miles, for supplies, generally making the trip twice a year. During the first two or three years of his residence in Ward county he was employed near Fort Stevenson, working on the Tom Winston ranch as a hand in the harvest field in order to secure ready money. After five years he began farming on his own account, devoting his attention to general agricultural pursuits from 1886 until 1892, when he took sheep on shares and raised large bands of sheep. In 1900, however, be disposed of his sheep and turned his attention to cattle raising, in which he continued until 1910. In that year he put some of his land under cultivation and is now farming three hundred and fifty acres in Ward county. He at first secured pre-emption and tree claims and later he took up a homestead and owns five hundred and twenty acres. He is now one of the best known farmers in Ward county and his work is carried on along the most progressive lines. He uses a tractor engine and other modern equipment and improvements and his farm is adorned with a fine residence and substantial barns and outbuildings, which furnish ample shelter for grain and stock. He lived in Ward county before a single town in the county had been established and even before the county as such had an existence.
In 1887 Mr. Booth was joined in wedlock with Miss Mary A. Wilson at her father's farm near what was then known as Scriptown, now Velva. She is a daughter of James Wilson, who came to North Dakota in company with Mr. Booth and his brother. Mrs. Booth was born in Sioux Falls, Dakota territory, and was reared and educated in Ward county, where she arrived when a little maiden of but nine summers, coming in 1882. She was one of the first children born in Sioux Falls, Dakota, and she has lived to see remarkable changes in her native state and in the locality where she now makes her home. Mr. and Mrs. Booth have become the parents of six children, Charles, Edward, Lawrence, Verne and Vance, twins, and Pearl, all born where the family homestead is now maintained. The eldest Bon married Nellie Arbuckle and yet lives on his father's farm.
Mr. Booth is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and in politics is a republican. For the past two years he has served as justice of the peace of Sawyer township and he has been a member of the school board in district No. 16 for seven years. He is contented, however, to concentrate his efforts upon his business affairs and while he is now successfully engaged in the cultivation of his land, he also raises registered shorthorn cattle. He likewise owns three houses in Sawyer, which he rents, and his business affairs are thus being wisely and profitably conducted. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by BZ]
J. W. CALNAN
J. W. CALNAN, Berthold, of the second legislative district, was born at Manawa, Wis., March 23, 1876. Received his education in the common schools of his state and at the Oshkosh State Normal School. Came to North Dakota as a homesteader in 1905, and engaged in the occupation of farming. is at present engaged in the hardware, furniture and undertaking business. Has held minor local offices, such as member of the board of education, city council, etc. He is a widower and has one daughter. He was elected representative as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
JOHN A. ENGLUND
JOHN A. ENGLUND, of the second legislative district, was born in Millesvik, Sweden. May 26, 1868. He came to this country in 1887, and in January, 1898, came to North Dakota and engaged in farming, locating near Kenmare. Was one of the first aldermen of Kenmare: was a member of the house in 1911, and was elected to his present position in 1912, as a republican. He is married. Has engaged in the business of merchant and farmer for 15 years. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
HARRY H. FRANCE
One of the most prominent business men and influential citizens of Logan county is Harry H. France, president of the State Bank of Gackle and a dealer in lumber and grain. He was born on the 6th of March, 1861, in Summit county, Ohio, of which state his parents, Isaac W. and Mary A. (Wise) France, were also natives. In early life the father learned the harness maker's trade, which he followed for some years, and then purchased land in Summit county and turned his attention to farming. He made many improvements upon his farm and engaged in its cultivation for many years but is now living retired in Greensburg. Ohio, at the advanced age of eighty-six years, honored and respected by all who know him. His wife is also living as are all of their seven children, the youngest being now forty-five years of age.
Harry H. France grew to manhood in his native state and was educated in the schools of Greensburg. After putting aside his books he learned the carpenter's and millwright's trades, at which he continued to work In Ohio and Minnesota for about ten years. He was next employed as manager of lumberyards for different firms, and in that capacity came to Gackle, North Dakota, in 1905, being placed in charge of the lumberyard of Salzer 4. Company. On coming to Logan county he took up a homestead and has since devoted a portion of his time to its improvement and operation. After serving as manager of the lumberyard in Gackle for six years he purchased an interest in the business and is still a partner in the firm and is manager of the enterprise. As previously stated he is also president of the State Bank of Gackle and is a stockholder in the Fanners Elevator Company of the same place. On the 9th of December, 1888, Mr. France was united in marriage to Miss Emily M. Richard, a daughter of David and Anna (Hoover) Richard, who were natives of Ohio. Her parents were still residing in that state when the Civil war broke out and the father enlisted in an Ohio regiment, serving until hostilities ceased. Subsequently he removed to Minnesota and purchased land sixteen miles from Minneapolis, where he engaged in farming throughout the remainder of his life, passing away in December, 1913. His widow is .still living. Mr. and Mrs. France are the parents of four children, namely: Oscar, who is now assistant cashier of the Logan County Bank at Gackle; Abbie, at home; Myrtle, the wife of Henry Brooks, a farmer living; near Nortonville, North Dakota; and Isaac W., a carpenter of Gackle. In religious faith Mr. France is a Methodist and his political support is given the men and measures of the republican party. He has been honored with official positions of prominence, having served as a representative in the general assembly during the sessions of 1911 and 1913. He has also served as school clerk continuously since attaining his majority, the cause of education having always found in him a warm friend. He is worthy of the high esteem in which he is uniformly held for his life has been above reproach. In his business dealings he has always been found upright and honorable and no trust reposed in him has ever been betrayed. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by BZ]
Henry Geiger, of the second legislative district, was born in Zurich, Ontario, May 23, 1863, but received his education in the common and normal schools of St. Cloud, Minn. He came to North Dakota in April, 1895, and engaged in farming. He is married and has three sons and five daughters. He was elected representative in 1910 and re-elected in 1912, as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
Joseph Jacobson, conducting a wholesale and retail butchering business at Burlington and owning valuable farm lands in that part of the state, was born in Stevens county, Minnesota, December 8, 1884, a son of Christian and Margaret (Fussom) Jacobson, both of whom were natives of Norway but in early life came to the United States, their marriage being celebrated at Albert Lea. Minnesota. On crossing the Atlantic Mr. Jacobson made his way at once to that state, where he homesteaded land in a district where the Indians were far more numerous than the white settlers. Upon the farm which he there developed he spent his remaining day, pausing away at the age of fifty-one years. His wife still owns the old homestead but now resides at Cyrus, Minnesota. In their western frontier home they reared a family of twelve children, of whom Joseph in the tenth in order of birth. After mastering the branches of learning taught in the district schools Joseph Jacobson continued his education at Cyrus, Minnesota, and when fifteen years of age he began learning the butcher's trade at that place. He worked for his brother for three years and about 1903 came to Minot, where he was employed as cutter in a meat market for about three years. He then proved up some land in Williams county and after active connection with agricultural pursuits for several years he went to Burlington in 1910 and has since engaged in the general meat business there, conducting both a wholesale and retail trade. His business has assumed extensive proportions and has become one of the profitable commercial enterprises of the city. He still owns three hundred and twenty acres of rich farm land in the state, which he rents, the income therefrom adding materially to his financial resources. On the 27th of November. 1905. Mr. Jacobson was married to Miss Laura Amondaon, who was born at Swan Lake, Minnesota, a daughter of Lars Amondson. who continued his residence in Minnesota until called to the home beyond. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson have two children: Russell Carl, born November 29, 1910; and Ray Nathan, born September 27, 1912. Mr. Jacobson belongs to Minot Lodge, No. 1089, B. P. 0. E., and the Modern Woodmen camp, in which he holds the office of banker, and he is a member of the Presbyterian church. In politics he has always maintained an attitude of non-partisanship. He is serving at present on the board of supervisors and for three years was chairman of the township board. His duties of citizenship are promptly and faithfully discharged. He is a man of strong purpose, accomplishing what he undertakes and actuated at all times by high and honorable motives. [North Dakota History and People: Outlines of American History, Volume 2. By Clement Augustus Lounsberry; Transcribed by Lisa S.)
F. B. LAMBERT
F. B. Lambert, Minot, of the twenty-ninth legislative district was born in Westport, Minn., July 23, 1873. Received his education in the common schools of Minnesota. Came to North Dakota in Sept. 1904 and located at Wahpeton where he remained until 1905. when he removed to Minot. Has engaged in the practice of law for the past seventeen years. He is married and has six children. He was elected representative as a progressive republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
HANS C. MILLER
Hans C. Miller, Ryder, of the twenty-ninth legislative district was born at Horsens, Denmark, June 6, 1870 and came to the United States May 1882. Received his education in the common schools. Came to North Dakota in 1903. and has for the past seven years engaged in the banking business at Ryder. He is married and has three children. He was elected representative as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
ERIC R. RAMSTAD
Eric R. Ramstad, one of the well-known old settlers of Ward county, has a fine farm in the vicinity of Minot, and is engaged extensively in stock raising. He was born on a farm in Norway, January 17, 1860. The father of our subject, Ryer Peterson, was a farmer by occupation. Our subject was the second in a family of six children, and was raised on a farm and attended the country schools. He left home at the age of nine years and hired out at farm work, and at the age of twenty-one came to America, setting in Peeborn county, Minnesota. He went to Ward county. North Dakota, in 1883, and settled on the present town site of Minot. He built a log house and followed breaking with cattle, and his first crop was in 1884 from land north of where the Leland House now stands. He gave the Great Northern Railroad Company the land where the town is now located. He has followed farming and cattle raising extensively and conducts a ranch near Minot. In 1884 he met with severe loss of grain and hay by prairie fire. He drove overland with oxen to his new home and began operations on the raw prairie, and has remained to develop a good farm and is now well to do. Our subject was married, in 1883. to Lena R. Oleson. Mrs. Ramstad was born in Wisconsin, on a farm, and was a daughter of Ole Gulson, a native of Norway. Mr. Ramstad assisted in the organization of Ward county and was active in getting the county seat located at Minot. He has held various city offices since residing in Alinot, and has taken an active part in all local affairs of township and county. Politically he is a Republican and firm in his convictions and is an earnest worker for party principles. He has devoted his attention to farming and stock raising and is well versed in his vocation, and has met with wellmerited success. He enjoys the esteem of his fellow men and is widely known. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Dena Whitesell]
J. W. SMITH
J. W. SMITH, Surrey, of the twenty-ninth legislative district, was born at Star Prairie, Wis., April 14, 1871. Received his education at the St. Paul Central high school and at Carleton college. Came to North Dakota in the spring of 1889, and engaged in the business of farming. He is married. He was elected representative as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
ARTHUR M. THOMPSON
Arthur M. Thompson, of the twenty-ninth legislative district, was born in Chicago, Ill., December 11. 1877, was educated at River Falls, Wisconsin high school and normal and in the Minnesota state university. He came to North Dakota in 1905 and began the practice of law at Minot, in which he is still engaged. He is married and has one son. He was elected representative in 1910 and re-elected in 1912, as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
GEORGE W. WILSON
George W. Wilson, editor and proprietor of the "Ward County Reporter," is one of the pioneer settlers of northern North Dakota, as well as a pioneer newspaper of the great Northwest.
Mr. Wilson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, January 28, 1858. He is the eldest of a family of six children born to Samuel E. and Martha (Davis) Wilson, both natives of Maryland. His father was of Scotch-English descent, and his mother of English parentage. His boyhood days were spent in the states of Maryland, Kentucky and Indiana at various employments, but principally farming. He was given a high school education and a short course at an academy in Ohio. In 1880 he came to Dakota, and in the spring of 1884 took a claim near Winona. In 1887 he came to Minot and secured employment on the Great Northern Railroad. In the fail of that year, in partnership with L. D. McGahan, he started the “Williston Beacon," and conducted that paper until April, 1889. He then returned to Minot and established the "Minot Journal." the first issue of which was April 27, 1889. In 1893 he sold this paper and purchased the "Towner Independent," of which he continued as proprietor three years, one and a half years of that time being its editor. In July, 1895, he again came to Minot and established the "Minot Mirror," its first issue appearing July 5, 1895. He conducted this paper one and a half years, and in January, 1897, he purchased the "Burlington Reporter," now the "Ward County Reporter." This paper was established at Burlington by J. L. Colton, in June, 1886. Colton sold it to C. A. Johnson, of whom Mr. Wilson purchased it. Colton removed the paper to Minot and changed the name to "The Ward County Reporter," in 1892. Two years later the entire plant was destroyed by fire, being a total loss. The proprietor, C. A. Johnson, purchased the "Minot Journal" plant, and continued the paper under the name of "The Ward County Reporter Journal." In 1896 the name was changed to "The Ward County Reporter." This paper is the oldest in the county, and has the largest circulation. It also has in connection a complete job plant, where first class job work is done. Mr. Wilson has made a success of newspaper work. He also established the "Williston Tribune" in October, 1892, and his career in the newspaper field has been a remarkable one. He was a pioneer of that portion of the state, and exercised the powers of governor in the organization of Williams County, and had much to do with the directing of the policy and development of the county.
Mr. Wilson was married, in 1888, to Miss Clara J. Corbett, daughter of J. C. Corbett, an employee of the Great Northern Railway. Mrs. Wilson taught school in Williston, and is an accomplished and educated lady. To Mr. and Mrs. Wilson two children have been born, namely, Florence M. and Edna H., both born in Minot. In political faith Mr. Wilson is a Republican, and has taken a very active part in public affairs. He was appointed city auditor of Minot in 1890, and was elected justice of the peace of McHenry County in 1894. In 1898 he carried Ward County as candidate for secretary of state, and also has the endorsement of the county for the same office this year (1900). He is chairman of the Republican county central committee, and an active party worker. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Rebekahs, and of the Woodmen of the World. He has represented the local lodge of the Knights, of Pythias in the grand lodge of the state, as also the independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1899 and 1900. He is prominent in fraternal matters, and a popular and genial gentleman. He is well known throughout the county, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of all. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Laurel Durham]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails