County, North Dakota
JAMES A. ATKINSON
JAMES A. ATKINSON occupies a prominent place as a real estate dealer of Sykeston, Wells county. To his influence is due much of the present solid prosperity of Wells and Stutsman counties, wherein he has operated extensively. He is a man who commands respect wherever he is known and ably seconds all projects which tend to the protection and upbuilding of the business interests of his locality. Our subject was born in Belmont county, Ohio, August 1, 1839, and was a son of Charles and Susan (Bowman) Atkinson, the former of English and the latter of Swiss descent. His father was a farmer by occupation and was born in America. Mr. Atkinson was raised on his father s farm in Ohio and attended the country schools and at the age of twenty years went to Davenport, Iowa, in company with his father and settled in the country and later started in the coffee and spice business in Davenport and was engaged in business and also in farming in Iowa for about twenty years. He went to Jamestown, North Dakota, in the spring of 1880 and began farming and dealing in real estate and was among the early business men of Jamestown and had a large farm south of there. He became interested in Wells county lands in 1882, since which time J.A. Atkinson & Son have aided as much perhaps as any other firm in the development of the possibilities of the agricultural and stock raising and dairying interests of North Dakota, and they now conduct an extensive real estate business in Sykeston, where the family located in 1895. Our subject was married, at Davenport, Iowa, in 1867, to Miss Sophia Severn, who is of English descent, and a daughter of John Severn, of Toronto, Ontario. Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson are the parents of five children, as follows: Laura A., Edith S., Charles S., Annie L. and Ralph J. The four older children were born in Iowa and the last named in North Dakota. Mr. Atkinson is a member of the Masonic fraternity and has passed the thirty-second degree of the order. Politically, he is a Republican and has taken an active part in affairs pertaining to local government. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
GUSTAV A. BRAUER
Clerk of the district court of Wells county, is a young man of intelligence and ability, and is rapidly rising to prominence by dint of his own efforts, backed by the indomitable will and industrious spirit which came to him from thrifty and honest ancestors. Our subject was born on a farm in Fillmore county, Minnesota, October 16, 1875, and was a son of F. F. and Christine Brauer, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Norway. His father left his native country when fourteen years of age and went to Denmark, and then to Norway, and after attaining his majority came to America with his family and settled in Minnesota. Mr. Brauer was the fifth in a family of nine children, and was raised on the farm and assisted with the work, and at the age of fifteen years began his education at Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, where he attended school four years and received a good education. Ill health forced him to give up his studies and he returned to the farm. He taught several terms in both Norwegian and English schools in Minnesota and followed the work about two years. In 1897 he went to North Dakota and in the spring of that year located at Harvey, where he taught school and later commenced a real estate, loan and insurance business. He took government land in 1898, and still retains his farming interests, but makes his home in Fessenden. He is also interested in the First Bank of Harvey, of which institution R. W. Aiken is president. Mr. Brauer was elected to his present office as clerk of district court of Wells county, in 1898. He has resided in North Dakota comparatively few years, but he is widely known as a young man of sterling qualifications and has a host of friends, and is deservedly held in high esteem by them. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
County judge of Wells county, North Dakota, is a gentleman of exemplary character, and is widely and favorably known. He is the owner of one of the finest farms in the vicinity of Fessenden, and until recently resided thereon and engaged extensively in general farming and sheep culture. He is a man of intelligence and active public spirit, and has been a potent factor in promoting the political and social welfare of that region. A portrait of Judge Brinton is presented on another page.
Our subject was born on a farm near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1839, and represents the eighth generation descended from William Brinton, who went to Pennsylvania with William Penn in 1682. William Brinton participated in the battle of Brandywine. The father of our subject, Joseph E. Brinton, was a farmer by occupation, and the mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Mary Marshall, came from England in 1816, at the age of three years, and settled in Pennsylvania. The paternal grandmother of our subject was of Irish descent.
Marshall Brinton was the eldest in a family of seven children, and was raised on a farm and attended the common schools and the high schools and received al liberal education. After leaving home he first worked in the milling business, and manufactured flour for the city of Wilmington; then drifted westward and north and located in the copper mines of Michigan, and was connected with mining properties there several years. He taught school several terms in Michigan, and clerked in the office of the mining company, and then assumed charge of the surface work, and later furnished lumber, wood and fuel, under contract, for the mining company. He was in Michigan from 1872-83, except nine months in the Black Hills, in 1879, and spent two thousand dollars prospecting and made nothing. He was postmaster at Delaware Mine, Michigan, several years, and was elected township superintendent of schools, and later made a member of the board of county school superintendents, or school examiners, as they are known in that state. He settled in Wells county, North Dakota, in township 146, range 69, in 1884, and his farm was one and a half miles from Sykeston. He took a preemption in 1883 and built a claim shanty and began farming, and the following year located permanently on the place. His buildings were the best in the county at the time and were destroyed by fire in 1890, the fire starting by accident. He then removed to the homestead on section 32 in the same township and range, where he continued farming until 1896, and then removed to Fessenden. He was employed as clerk in the county offices there, and in May, 1897, was appointed county judge to fill a vacancy, and in 1898 he was elected to the same office, which he is now filling. He has three hundred and twenty acres of land in Wells county, on which he has arrangements for the operation of general farming, and his barn is a substantial, commodious structure, 64x92 feet, while the land is equal to any in the county.
Mr. Brinton was one of the organizers of Wells county, and was the first public officer in the county, being appointed county commissioner by Governor Ordway. He was the first acting county superintendent of schools, and organized the first seven schools of the county, and was elected a second time as superintendent. He is a member of the Congregational church, and is active in church work, and organized Sunday-schools in northern Michigan while a resident of that state. He is prominent in secret society circles, has held all the chairs in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is a Master Mason, and a member of the Knights of the Maccabees, and is record-keeper for the local lodge of the last named order. In politics he is a Republican, and during the 1896 campaign and since, he has taken a leading and active part in the affairs and interests of the Republican party of Wells county. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
GEORGE BRYNJULSON, county sheriff of Wells county, residing in Fessenden, carries on an extensive farm near that city and is one of the wide-awake and well-to-do citizens of the county. He began for himself in North Dakota without means and has steadily risen by his own efforts and is now possessed of a comfortable competence and an enviable reputation. Our subject was born on a farm in Telemarken, Norway, in 1858. His father, Talaf Brynjulson, was a farmer and came to America in 1861 and settled in Wisconsin. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Aslang Jorgendatter. Seven children were born to this worthy couple, our subject being the second in order of birth. He was reared on a farm in Wisconsin until eight years of age and then removed to Lincoln county, South Dakota. The father took government land in 1868 and still resides thereon. Our subject remained on the farm in South Dakota and attended the country school. There were but few settlers in that locality during their early residence there and they lived under the protection of government Winchesters and experienced four Indian scares. Mr. Brynjulson left home at the age of seventeen years and drifted through the country in South Dakota, following the stone mason's trade from 1875-1894. In 1883 he went to Jamestown and spent three years in the vicinity of that city and Bismarck working at his trade. He settled on land in township 147, range 71, in Wells county, taking it under a "squatter's right," in 1883 and 1885 took up his residence thereon. He had a sod shanty, but no barn and farmed with oxen the first six years and from 1883-1887 lived alone and engaged in grain raising principally. He followed the stone mason's trade and farming and threshing in South Dakota from 1891 to the summer of 1893 and then returned to his North Dakota farm. August 19, 1896, fire destroyed his barn, a fine structure, and his son, John, who was in the burning building, lost his life. He has had varied experiences with prairie fires and severe storms and in 1886, while on his way to South Dakota via the stage, stopped to take dinner and started for Ellendale, when a storm broke and they lost their road. Mr. Brynjulson was the only one familiar with the prairie and he guided the party for some time, but they finally refused to follow him farther and he left them and walked to Ellendale and then sent a team to meet them. One of the occupants of the stage, a young lady, afterward died from the exposure. Our subject has added to his possessions and is now the owner of four hundred and eighty acres of land, on which he has erected a set of good buildings. His barn was blown to pieces during the summer of 1899 and he has since built a 40x64-foot structure with basement, and he also has a large granary and other farm buildings. A grove of trees is near the house and the entire farm presents a pleasing appearance. Our subject was married, in 1887, to Miss Hannah Dolan, a native of Norway. Mrs. Brynjulson was a daughter of Gerhart Dolan, who still resides in Norway. Mrs. Brynjulson died November 15, 1890, leaving two children, Tolaf and John, the latter now deceased. Mr. Brynjulson was married to Miss Ella Dolan, a native of Telemarken, Norway, in 1894. Mrs. Brynjulson came to America in 1892. Three children have been born to this union, as follows: Alma, Beatta and Olga. Mr. Brynjulson was elected sheriff' of Wells county in 1896, and his popularity is best evidenced by the fact that he was re-elected in 1898, and is now serving his second term. He also holds the office of postmaster at Bawdon, North Dakota, his appointment being made March 30, 1900. He has held numerous school offices and takes an active interest in affairs of a public nature. Politically, he is a Republican and an earnest worker for party principles. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
ALTON G. COVELL, one of the leading merchants of Sykeston, Wells county, is also interested largely in farming and stock raising near that city. He is a man of excellent education and has attained a prominent position as a worthy citizen and business man. Our subject was born on a farm in Erie county, Pennsylvania, June 8, 1854. His father, W. W. Covell, was of English descent and was a farmer throughout his career. The great-grandfather of our subject, James Covell, served in the Revolutionary war. The mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Ellen E. Barber, was of English descent and her family settled in Rhode Island in colonial times.
Mr. Covell was the fourth in a family of seven children and attended the country schools and took an academic course and began reading law in 1877 and was admitted to the bar in 1880 in Pennsylvania. A partnership was then formed with his brother, C. L. Covell, and he remained with him two years and in 1883 came to North Dakota and located at Carrington and began the practice of his profession, in which he continued there three years. He located at Sykeston in 1886 and practiced law exclusively three years and during 1888-1889 was postmaster at Sykeston. He established a general store in 1890 and now conducts one of the most extensive business concerns of that city. He was elected state's attorney in 1888 and served one term. He purchased a farm of four hundred and eighty acres in 1891, on which he has a complete set of good farm buildings and engages principally in stock raising.
Our subject was married, in 1885, to Miss E. C. Butts. Mrs. Covell was born and raised in Minnesota and is of English-German descent, a daughter of D. J. Butts, who is engaged in farming in North Dakota, and was an early settler of that state, having settled there in 1881. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Covell, as follows: William M., born March 23, 1886; Ellen E., born March 8, 1888; Clarence L., born March 8, 1890, and Alice R., born June 14, 1895. Mr. Covell was appointed United States commissioner in 1898 by Judge Amidon, of Fargo, and now serves in that capacity. He is a member of the Congregational church and is a man of exemplary character and deservedly popular with the people. ["Compendium of History and Biography of ND", Transcribed by Christi Boyer]
JOHN M. COVELL
Among the foreign-born residents of Wells county, who are thoroughly identified with American progress, may be noted Mr. Covell. He owns a farm in section 24 of township 147, range 70, where the usual improvements have been made and such arrangements consummated as make it a comfortable home. Our subject is a native of Wales and was born May 13, 1856. His father Joseph Covell, was a farmer in Wales. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Margaret Evans. Mr. Covell was the third in a family of six children and was raised on a farm and received a limited schooling. His mother died when he was but ten years of age and he then left home and earned his own livelihood from that time, working at farm labor. He went to Wisconsin in 1882 and spent two years in Winnebago county, working at farm labor, and in 1884 went to Wells county, North Dakota. He entered claim to government land in township 147, range 70, and settled on section 26, and then worked for others the first year and in 1885 began farming his land. He had one year s savings to make a start with and built a shanty 12x12 feet and bought three old horses and had a dugout for a barn. His first crop yielded twenty-four and a half bushels per acre, and he had about twenty-five acres. His residence, built in 1892, was destroyed by fire, caused by a defective flue, in 1895, and in 1887 fire destroyed his dugout barn and two horses. He has had many exciting experiences with prairie fires. He now has a farm of six hundred and forty acres, with about five hundred under cultivation, and has a fine grove started. He has erected a complete set of good farm buildings and with the necessary machinery is fitted for general farming and his estate evidences good management. He has twenty-three head of cattle and eleven horses and follows mixed farming. Mr. Covell visited Wales in 1893 and upon his return was accompanied by Miss Deana Williams. Miss Williams filed on land in North Dakota and presently became the wife of Mr. Covell. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Covell, as follows: Jennie, Nellie and Emily. Mr. Covell is a Republican in political faith and has attended several conventions as a delegate and is an earnest worker for party principles. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography . Transcribed by Carol Eppright.]
Among the energetic and prosperous business men of Harvey, Wells county, who have acquired a sound financial standing and an enviable reputation as a citizen, may well be noted the name of Edwin Dimick. He is engaged in the meat business and is a man of good management and unbounded enterprise. Our subject was born on a farm in Ohio, in 1853. His father, Royal Dimick, was a farmer throughout his life and was of English descent, but born in Connecticut. The mother was of English descent, but her parents were born in the state of New York.
Our subject was one of twins, the first born of the family, and was raised on the farm in Ohio. At the age of twelve years he began for himself and worked out at farm labor and received limited educational advantages, gaining his knowledge by his own efforts. He followed farming and various business enterprises before going to North Dakota in the spring of 1882 in company with his brothers, George and Addison Dimick. They settled in Eddy county after having spent one year near Grand Forms and engaged in stock raising. In 1891 they located a ranch twenty-two miles southeast of Harvey in McLain county, and conducted stock raising there until the spring of 1896, when they went to Harvey and established in the livery business. After two years they returned to the ranch and in the spring of 1899 started the meat market at Harvey which they still conduct. The business has proved successful and they enjoy a liberal trade. When they went to Wells county it was a waste prairie and Mr. Dimick and brothers have witnessed the growth and aided in the upbuilding of the town and country. Our subject is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and in political faith is a Republican. He went to Dakota without means and snow one of the solid men of that locality. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
JAMES T. DODDS, principal of the Fessenden high school, has devoted the greater part of his career to educational work, and is an able instructor and popular with the people. He was born on a farm, in Ontario, Canada, in 1868. The father of our subject, Charles Dodds, was born near Rockburghshire, in southern Scotland, and came to America at the age of fifteen years, and was a farmer by occupation near Seaforth, Ontario. Our subject's mother, whose maiden name was Ellen Torrance, was born in the northern part of Ireland. Eleven children were born to this worthy couple, our subject being the second in order of birth. He was reared on his father's estate, and attended the country school until 1880, in which year he lost his right arm by accident. He attended the Seaforth Collegiate Institute at Seaforth, and graduated from that institution in 1888, and then attended Clinton Model School. He began his work as a teacher in 1889 and followed the same three years in the country schools, and then attended Ottawa Normal School, graduating in June, 1893, after which he taught the graded school, and in 1894 accepted the position of principal of No. 3, Gray School, near Brussels, Canada, where he continued four years. He went to Wells county, North Dakota, in 1897, and taught the Harvey School three months, and in the fall of 1898 accepted his present charge, as principal of the Fessenden High School. Mr. Dodds is a young man of excellent ability, and his time and attention are given wholly to his work, and he has gained a position commendable in every way as a teacher and citizen. His physical disability did not prevent him from attaining a high educational standard, and he is classed among the earnest teachers who are aiding in raising education to its proper position among the people of that state. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Canadian Order of Foresters. Politically Mr. Dodds is identified with Republicanism.[Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]
HERBERT J. FINCHER, one of the pioneer settlers of Wells county, North Dakota, has been engaged in various enterprises in that locality, in all of which he has met with good success. He is a carpenter and mason by trade and follows the former in Manfred at present. Our subject was born in Spencerport, Monroe county, New York, August 8, 1861. His father, Jesse E. Fincher, was a carpenter by trade, and the family came to America in early Colonial days. The grandmother of our subject, Betsy Colby, was the first white girl born in Monroe county, New York, the family coming from England to Vermont and later settling in New York state. The grandfather of our subject, David R. Hitchcock, served in the war of 1812.
Our subject was the second in order of birth and the only son in a family of three children, and at the age of four years went with his parents to Pennsylvania, and his father worked at carpentering at Corea. When he was five years of age the family settled in Washtenaw county, Michigan, where our subject was reared. He received a common-school education and later attended the Seminary, and he learned the carpenter's trade with his father. In 1886 he went to Wells county, North Dakota, and entered claim to government land. He had a span of mules and one horse, and he erected a claim shanty and a sod barn, and after the first year farmed with oxen five or six years. The Soo Railroad was built through that locality in 1893 and the town of Manfred was started, the town site being the homestead farm owned by his father, Jesse E. Fincher. Our subject s house was the first house in the town, with the exception of the railroad section house, and was a 22x21-foot building one story in height. Mr. Fincher carried mail under a government contract between Fessenden and Oberon for three years, since which time he has devoted his time to plying his trade, and is one of the skilled workmen of that town. During pioneer days for the first two or three years he derived a great share of his income from hauling buffalo bones to market, and his nearest railroad town was Sykeston, twenty-five miles distant. Our subject was married, at the age of twenty-two years, to Miss Eliza Cone. Mrs. Fincher was born on a farm in Monroe county, Michigan, and was a daughter of Erastus S. Cone, a merchant and land owner. Her family are Americans for many generations back. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Fincher as follows: Jennie M., born November 192 1885; Jessie J., born February 24, 1888; Cora M., born November 18, 1889; Grace A., born August 9, 1895; and Nellie H., born August 17, 1897. The eldest was born in Michigan and the other children were born in Wells county, North Dakota. Mr. Fincher and wife are members of the Congregational church, and Mr. and Mrs. Fincher hold membership in the Brotherhood of American Yeomen. He is independent in political faith. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
JOHN F. GOSS, postmaster of Kiner, North Dakota, is one of the successful grain raisers of Wells county, and has a fine farm eight hundred acres in extent. His home is in township 149, range 69, where he was one of the first settlers of Wells county, and has been identified with the advancement and development of the great agricultural interests of the locality. Our subject was born in Grundy county, Illinois, April 9, 1863. His father, Perry Goss, was born in Ohio, and was a farmer by occupation. The great-great-grandfather of our subject was born in Boston Barracks, Massachusetts, prior to Revolutionary times. The mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Mary F. Spillman, was born in Kentucky, and her people were of Scotch-Irish descent. Her grandfather, William Spillman, was a farmer in Kentucky.
Mr. Goss was the sixth in a family of nine children, and was raised on the farm in Illinois, and attended school a short time at the Normal School in Morris, Illinois, and then attended one winter in the Business School at Oberlin, Ohio, spending his summers in the meantime at farm work. At the age of twenty years he began teaching, and continued thus three winters, working on the farm summers and during this time made a trip to North Dakota and entered a tree claim and pre-emption in 1885. He proved his pre-emption claim during the same year, and lived in a shanty, 7x9 feet, with a sod addition seven feet. He filed on the tree claim in 1885, and this was the first claim filed in township 145, range 69. He now has six hundred and seventy-five acres of his farm under plow and the balance of the eight hundred acres in in pasture. He has a commodious and substantial residence, good barn, granary, machine shed, and all the necessary machinery for extensive farming, and his entire estae is well improved and conducted on a prosperous basis.
Our subject was married, in the spring of 1888, to Vina K. Kiner. Mrs. Goss was born and raised in LaSalle county, Illinois, and was a daughter of Jacob P. Kiner, a farmer by occupation and a carpenter by trade. Her parents were born in Pennsylvania and were of Dutch descent, and her grandfather was a preacher, and worked at the cooper s trade. Three children, all of whom were born in North Dakota, have been born to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Goss, as follows: Pearl I., born October 26, 1889; Loyle K., born May 29, 1891; and Perry J., born October 22, 1899. The postoffice of Kiner was named in honor of Mrs. Goss, her maiden name being given to the office, and Mr. Goss was appointed postmaster in 1890, and has held the office since that date. He was the first treasurer of his township, and has served as school treasurer six years and was again re-elected in 1900. He takes an active part in public affairs of his township and county. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography . Transcribed by Carol Eppright.]
OTTO H. GRAUPMANN, one of the earliest settlers of Wells county, is proprietor of as fine a farm as can be found within the limits of the county and his home is in township 147, range 72. He conducts general farming extensively and in company with his father owns one thousand two hundred and eighty acres of land, of which he now has charge, his father having retired from active pursuits. Our subject was born on a farm near Fond du Lac, in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, December 18, 1864. His father, Frederick Graupmann, was born in the southern part of Germany and came to America in 1854 and was married in this country. He was an early settler of Wisconsin, and also became in after years an early settler of North Dakota. He served one year in Company A, Forty-fifth Wisconsin, till the close of the war and followed farming in Wisconsin until taking up his residence in North Dakota. The mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Mary Storm, was born in Germany and came to America in 1856.
Mr. Graupmann was raised on the Wisconsin farm and attended school in a log cabin and received the greater part of his schooling there. He left home at the age of eighteen years and went to Wells county, North Dakota, in 1884, and worked at teaming and freighting from Sykeston to Pony Gulch for two years, and during the summer nights camped on the road and in winter lived in a tarpapered shanty at the head of the Jim river and hunted and trapped the wolf, fox, mink, antelope and deer. In 1886 he took government land in township 147, range 72, in section 24, and built a claim shanty, and he and his father who had previously gone to Wells county, started in partnership in farming. In 1885 he raised a crop on sod ground and the following season cropped his own land, but the crop was eaten by gophers. He hauled supplied from Carrington, thirty-five miles, or Jamestown, sixty miles, and experienced pioneer life during these trips. About half of their farm is under cultivation and one hundred and sixty acres is devoted to pasture. The house is commodious and substantial and the barn is one of the largest in the township. All other buildings on the farm are in proportion and the entire farm is well improved and carefully managed. The father retired from active labors in 1890, since which time our subject has had full control of the place and has made a success of his work.
Mr. Graupmann was assessor in 1891 and justice of the peace in 1889, and is actively interested in the welfare of his community. He is a Republican in political sentiment and an earnest worker for part principles, and has served as delegate to county and state conventions. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Knights of Pythias. He enjoys the distinction of being the first settler of township 147, range 72, and was among the earliest in the county. He traveled over the prairies from the Missouri river to the Red river in the early days, when settlers throughout that region were one hundred miles apart, and he has aided materially in the growth and advancement of wells county, North Dakota, and is deservedly held in high esteem by his fellowmen. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
AMBROSE H. HARDY, of the firm Hardy Brothers, general merchants, of Cathay, is a man of good business qualifications, and enjoys prosperity. He is the present efficient and popular postmaster of Cathay, and is well known as an early settler of Wells county, wherein he followed farming for many years on an extensive scale. Our subject was born on a farm in Pike county, Illinois, in 1862. His father, J. P. Hardy, was of American descent many generations back, and a farmer throughout his career. He became an early settler of North Dakota, and followed farming there until 1891, when he, in company with Edward Spokesfield, was lost in a blizzard and perished in the storm. The mother of our subject was of Holland descent, but the family have been in America several generations. Four brothers of our subject served in the Civil war. Mr. Hardy is the second in a family of seven children, and was raised on the farm and attended the country schools, and after attaining his majority he left home and began for himself. His father went to North Dakota in 1882, and the family joined him there in 1884, and our subject and his father followed farming together for about two years. Our subject continued on the farm after his father s death until 1898, and engaged principally in stock raising. He established a general store in Cathay in 1898, in company with Thomas Burris, in the building which he had erected in 1894, and in January, 1900, he purchased his partner s interest, and the firm is now Hardy Brothers. They handle a general line of merchandise, and are successful in their business. Mr. Hardy was appointed postmaster of Cathay in 1897 by President McKinley. He had about six hundred acres of his farm under construction at the time he left the place, and had erected a complete set of good farm buildings and made a success of agricultural pursuits. At the time of his settlement in Wells county in 1883 his nearest neighbor was five miles distant, and Carrington was the nearest railroad station. Mr. Hardy is a member of the Knights of the Maccabes, and in political sentiment is a Republican. He is wide-awake and energetic, and his success and popularity are well merited. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
JOHN G. JOHNS, M.D., one of the early settlers of Wells county, was successfully engaged in mercantile pursuits for many years and is well known throughout that locality. He has built up an extensive practice in his profession and is one of the rising young physicians of the county. He established his office in Cathay comparatively few years ago, but is recognized as a skillful practitioner and is remarkably successful. A portrait of Dr. Johns appears on another page. Our subject was born in La Fayette county, Wisconsin, October 10, 1865. His father, James Johns, was born in England and came to America in 1860 and became a pioneer of Wisconsin and is now proprietor of a large farm in La Fayette county. The mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Belinda Orchard, was born in England and her ancestors were in the wars between France and England and our subject has relics of those wars.
Dr. Johns is the fourth in the family of eight children and was raised on the farm. He attended the country school and the State Normal at Platteville, Wisconsin, and in 1886 took a course in the Physicians & Surgeons School in Chicago and the following year went to South Dakota and settled at Ashton, Spink county, where he purchased grain for the D. R. Putnam Elevator Company two years and in 1888 went to Eureka and erected an elevator and bought grain two years. He went to North Dakota in 1890 and became associated with the James Johns Elevator Company. They owned a line of elevators on the Northern Pacific Railroad and the same year our subject went to Sykeston and operated the elevator there for the company. He filed a claim to land near Fessenden in 1892 and also built an elevator in Fessenden and unloaded the first car load of lumber in the town. He also built the first livery barn in Fessenden and in 1895 disposed of the barn and also his interest in the elevator and went to Nashville, Tennessee, where he attended the medical department of the University of Nashville, graduating with the highest honors in March, 1897, with the degree of M. D. He located to Moline, Illinois, the same year and practiced his profession there one year and in 1898 located at Cathay, North Dakota, where he established his practice and also started a small drug store.
Our subject was married, June 28, 1892, to Miss Estella Karr. Mrs. Johns was born and raised in Ripon, Wisconsin. Her father, James Karr, is of Canadian-Irish descent and is a carriagemaker by trade and an inventor of distinction in the line of carriage manufacture. Her mother, Elizabeth (Rowbotham) Karr, was of English descent. Mrs. Johns grandfather, Rev. William Rowbotham, was born in England. Has been a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church for more than a half-century and is now superannuated from the east Wisconsin conference. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Johns: Llewellyn, who was born March 4, 1894. Dr. Johns is actively interested in his community and is popular with the people wherever he resides. He served as justice of the peace in Fessenden two years and has held other minor offices. He reform principles in political views and is affiliated with the Knights of the Pythias and Ancient Order of United Workmen. He was among the first business men of Wells county and is well known by his friends as Chief Justice Johns. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
JOHN JORGENSON, who, in partnership with J. Sorenson, conducts one of the leading places of business in Harvey, Wells county, is a man of sound financial standing and is possessed of excellent business ability. He has varied business interests in and near Harvey, and has become well known as one of the active men of his community. Our subject was born in Vernon county, Wisconsin, on a farm, in 1865. His father, Andrew Jorgenson, was a native of Norway, and came to America in 1857 and settled in Wisconsin and followed farming throughout his career. The mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Oline Hovland, was born in Norway. Mr. Jorgenson was the third in a family of eight children, and was reared on the Wisconsin farm and assisted with the work. He attended the country schools and three months in the grammar school, and, at the age of seventeen years, began for himself at farm work. He established in the creamery business when twenty-one years of age, but this did not prove successful after two years work, and in 1890 he went to Nelson county, North Dakota, and clerked in a hardware store at Lakota three months, when his employer sold the business, and he then began clerking for Kent & Brown, general merchants of Lakota. He remained with them three and a half years, during which time he purchased an interest in a general store at Mapes, Nelson county, consisting of a two-thousand-dollar stock, and in the spring of 1894 he moved the store to Harvey, North Dakota, and the business was conducted in company with O.L. Jensen, under the firm name of O.L. Jensen & Company until September 1, 1896, when the firm sold the business to Herr, Herr & Company, and Mr. Jensen embarked in the machine business. Our subject then formed a partnership with J. Sorenson, in general merchandising, the business having been established by Mr. Sorenson in 1893, and was the first store in Harvey, and is the leading store of the town at the present time. They have added to the building to meet the needs, and now occupy a main building 40x78 feet, and have three commodious warehouses, their business being located in a desirable business part. They carry a stock of seventeen to eighteen thousand dollars, and have met with unbounded success. The firm own and operate four hundred and eighty acres of choice land near the town, and two thousand dollars stock in the First Bank of Harvey, of which Mr. Sorenson is vice-president. Mr. Jorgenson has a comfortable and well-furnished residence, and enjoys prosperity and business success. Our subject was married in the fall of 1894, to Miss Mary Johnson, a native of Coon Prairie, Wisconsin. Mrs. Jorgenson s parents were natives of Norway and Sweden, and emigrated to America from Norway, and her father, P.M. Johnson, is a farmer by occupation. Mr. Jorgenson was one of the pioneer business men of Harvey, and has witnessed the growth of that thriving town and aided in its upbuilding and advancement, and is favorably known as a business man and citizen. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and in political sentiment is a Republican. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
ADOLF R. JOSUND.
As a representative citizen and a member of the farming community of township 148, range 68, in Wells county, the gentleman above named is entitled to a foremost place. He has made a success of his vocation and has a well-improved farm and has gained his possessions by the exercise of honest industry and good judgment. He went to Dakota as a pioneer without means, and has worked his way steadily to the front and is now surrounded by all that goes to make country life pleasant, and is highly esteemed in his community. Our subject was born at Stavanger, Norway, December 20, 1863, and was a son of Rasmus Jaasund and Karen (Stokke) Josund, both of whom were natives of Norway. The paternal grandfather, Asburnam Muglebust, was a farmer in Norway, as also the maternal grandfather, Tolaf Stokke. Our subject s father is now a prosperous farmer of Wells county, where he located during pioneer days.
Mr. Josund was the second in a family of eleven children, and was raised on a farm in his native land. He emigrated to America in 1882, landing at Boston, March 3, and the family at once went to Becker county, Minnesota, and settled on forty acres of school land. The parents conducted the farm there until 1887, and our subject worked at farming and railroading and other work, and in the spring of 1886 went to Sykeston, North Dakota, and worked at farm labor during the summer and also filed a tree claim and pre-emption to land in Wells county, in township 148, range 68. His father came and filed on a tree-claim and preemption at the same time. The following spring the father removed to Becker county, where he worked a farm together with his father, mother and brother Rasmus for some three years. They also had with them the young sister Clara. The father had a shanty 10x10 feet, and our subject built an 8x8 foot shanty and they were later made into one house. Later in the summer our subject built a shanty, half dugout, and lived therein several winters. It was of sod and had but one small window and the roof had a few fence posts. He had a team of oxen, three cows, some young stock, a wagon and a plow, and after paying his way to North Dakota had no money left, and purchased overall clothing with a sack of oats and the first night slept on hay in the shanty. He and his father were caught away from home in one of the worst blizzards ever experienced in North Dakota, but escaped injury.
Mr. Josund began farming for himself in 1890 and he now has six hundred and forty acres of good land, while his father has three quarter-sections. He has a complete set of good farm buildings, including a substantial house, barn, granary, machine shed, blacksmith shop, and other buildings, and has all machinery necessary for the economical conduct of the place.
Our subject was married, in 1888, to Miss Anna Jakobene Stokke, who was born and raised in the same place in Norway as our subject. Her father died in Norway. Her mother and Mrs. Gablel Gedrose came over from Norway to Cathay, North Dakota, in 1888 with her family and live close neighbors. Mr. Gedrose has six hundred and forty acres of good land. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Josund, as follows: Camilla, born July 23, 1890; Julius, born January 12, 1892, died May 18, 1898; Marshall, born June 18, 1895; Alfred, born May 31, 1897; and Alma, born October 12, 1899, all of whom were born in North Dakota. Mr. Josund has held various school offices and is active in public affairs of local importance. He is a Republican in political faith and a delegate to all county conventions for many years. He and family are members of the Lutheran church, in which he is a leader, and is highly respected throughout the community in which he makes his home. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography . Transcribed by Carol Eppright.]
CHARLES L. KING, president and general manager of the North Dakota Telephone Electrical Company, is a gentleman of good business qualifications and has become thoroughly identified with the advancement and progress of the Northwest. He resides in Harvey, Wells county, and is well and favorably known throughout that region. Our subject was born in Jackson, Michigan, April 27, 1862. His father, James H. King, was born in the same place, his parents having settled in Michigan in an early day, removing there from New York. They were of Dutch descent and the grandfather of our subject, Finner King, was a farmer and went to Michigan in 1836 and took government land on which the city of Jackson is not built. On the maternal side, the grandfather, Anthony Burwell, was a farmer and raiser of fancy horses and the mother s family were from Vermont.
Our subject was the eldest in a family consisting of two sons and one daughter and was raised on a farm. He also resided in Parma, Homer, Tecumseh and Jackson, as his father was engaged in the hotel business at different times. Our subject attended the city schools and also the Adventist College at Battle Creek, Michigan, four years, and in 1882 went to South Dakota and located at Milbank, purchasing land there. He also bought wheat at Milbank and in that vicinity three years for St. Anthony & Dakota Elevator company and also for himself, and in the spring of 1892 he sold his land, comprising three hundred and twenty acres, for twenty-five dollars per acre, and moved to Minneapolis, where he engaged in the commission business one year. He went to North Dakota in the spring of 1893 and was employed during the summer as civil engineer on the Soo Line, then being built to Portal, North Dakota, after which he was employed at Harvey as clerk and cashier at the railroad station and in the summer of 1894 erected the hotel known as King s Place, and conducted the business until November, 1896, when he disposed of his interests, and in June, 1898, organized North Dakota Telephone Electrical Company, with the following officers: Charles L. King, president and general manager; Otto Grethen, secretary, and Anton Erne, treasurer. The company owns lines from Harvey to Fessenden, thence to New Rockford and Carrington and branches to Cathey and Sykeston and has local exchanges in Harvey, Fessenden and Carrington.
Mr. King was married, in the spring of 1892, to Miss Louisa Newhouse. Mrs. King was born in Iowa and is of Scandinavian descent. Her father, Ole Newhouse, is a farmer by occupation. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. King, as follows: Florence, George and Fred. The two younger children were born in Dakota. Mr. King was elected county commissioner by the Republican party in 1897 and is now chairman of the board. He has served as justice of the peace at Harvey for the past seven years and takes an active interest in public matters. He has been a delegate to numerous county conventions and is identified with the Republican party. He holds membership in the Woodmen of the World. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography . Transcribed by Carol Eppright]
HENRY KLINDWORTH, one of the prominent men of township 149, range 69, conducts an extensive farming and stock business and is one of the wide-awake and wealthy citizens of Wells county. He started for himself with nothing except the tools which nature gave him and from his first employment at a small salary has steadily risen by his own efforts to a position of comfort and plenty. Our subject was born in Hanover, Germany, October 11, 1844. His father, Henry Klindworth, was an orphan boy and during his career was a farmer and wood dealer. He served in the German army several years. Our subject was reared on the farm in Germany and attended the country schools and at the age of fourteen years began working out in the city. He entered the army at twenty years of age and served sixteen months and participated in one battle. In 1867 he emigrated to America, landing at New York in February, and worked there in a hotel six months. He then went to Pittsburg and worked on a farm and also in a hotel and then went to Chicago, where he worked three years in the gardening business. He was in southern Illinois at the time of the great Chicago fire, but returned soon afterward and worked at teaming or whatever he could find to do for about three years and then traveled in Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri and Illinois, spending his winters in the South and his summers in the North. He finally settled near Red Wing, Minnesota, and established in the gardening business and remained in Minnesota until 1887, in the spring of that year going to North Dakota. He entered a pre-emption tree clam in Wells county and built a shanty and barn and he had six horses, a wagon and a little machinery. His first crop in North Dakota was off rented land near New Rockford and in 1888 he farmed his own land, but lost the crop by frost and in June, of the same year prairie fire destroyed his barn, horses, oats and harness, causing a loss of fifteen hundred dollars. He had a struggle to get through the winter of 1888-1889 and in the following year he raised a good crop. Fire again visited his farm in September, 1891, and burned his cattle barn, horse barn, one hundred tons of hay and some grain standing in the field, a total loss of two thousand dollars. He now has a farm of four hundred and eighty acres, all of which is under cultivation, and on his place he has a complete set of substantial and commodious farm buildings and keeps twenty-one horses and about twenty-five head of cattle. He has all machinery necessary for operating a good farm and has made a success of his vocation and has one of the best-equipped farms of the neighborhood.
Our subject was married, in Minnesota, April 22, 1877, to Mary Pepper. Mrs. Klindworth is a native of Germany and came to America at the age of thirteen years. Her father, George Pepper, died soon after coming to America. The following children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Klindworth: Katie, born April 13, 1879; John, born November 25, 1882; Henry, born August 4, 1884; Willie, born March 1, 1885; Charlie, born November 4, 1887; Annie, born September 16, 1888; Herman, born November 17, 1891; Mary, born July 2, 1893; Walter, born June 18, 1896, and Bertha, born in 1890 and died in 1895. Mr. Klindworth and family are members of the German Lutheran church. Mr. Klindworth is independent in politics. He was among the earliest settlers of Hamberg township and aided in its upbringing. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography . Transcribed by Carol Eppright]
JAMES L. LEE, LL. D.
The professions are well represented in Wells county, and a prominent place among this number is held by the gentleman above named. He is a practicing attorney of Fesenden, and has attained his high position as an attorney and citizen by faithful service and earnest study, and is a gentleman of excellent education and refinement. Our subject was born in Toledo, Ohio, in August, 1856. His foster father, Hiram Lee, was a farmer by occupation in Ohio, and was a native of Pennsylvania, and died in Kansas in 1897. The great-grandfather of our subject was born in New England, and the mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Porter, was born in France and emigrated to America. Our subject was reared by foster parents, of the name of Lee, who were New York people. He was reared in Illinois on a farm and assisted with the work of the place and did not attend school regularly until nineteen years of age, when he attended the country school winters and later attended an academy. Between 1873-76 he attended the law school at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and graduated in 1887 with the degree of LL. D. He established himself in the practice of his profession in Clear Lake, Iowa, in the spring of 1878 and continued there twelve years, during which time he built up an extensive general practice, and in 1889 went to Topeka, Kansas, where he practice two years, and then spent some months traveling through the western states to the Pacific coast. He assumed charge of the collection department of the machine firm of D. M. Osborne & Company, of Chicago and was thus engaged five years. He located in Fessenden, North Dakota, August 15, 1896, where he established his office and has since followed his practice.
Our subject was married in Fessenden, North Dakota, March 21, 1897, to Miss Hattie Jones. Mrs. Lee was born in Vexio, Sweden, and came to America in 1886, at the age of fourteen years. Her father, who was of English descent, died when she was five years of age. Mr. Lee is the father of the following children by a former marriage: Fred L., owner and operator of a silver mine in Idaho, residing at Wallace; Stella; and James N., attending Central High School at Minneapolis. Mr. Lee is active in public affairs and is a Republican in Politics. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
LOUIS A. LEU, Fessenden, of the thirty-third legislative district, was born at Zaskerhuette, Germany, Mar. 25, 1868. and came to the United States August 22, 1883. His education includes a six year course in a classical college. He first settled in Iowa and in 1886 moved to South Dakota and came to North Dakota in 1896, where he engaged in the business of pharmacist. He is married and has two children He was elected representative as a republican. [Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.]
ROBERT LYALL, residing on one of the well-improved tracts of township 150, range 72, in Wells county, has made a success of his calling, and is proprietor of one of the best farms of his locality. He is an early settler of North Dakota, and has witnessed its advancement and development and added materially in the same, and enjoys the esteem of his fellows. Our subject was born on a farm in Scotland, in 1864, and was the second child and eldest son in a family of seven children. He began farm work at an early age and attended school during the winter months, and at the age of nineteen years emigrated to America, and at once went to North Dakota, locating in Cass county. He remained there at work on the Park farm during the summer of 1884, and in the fall of that year visited the exposition at New Orleans and then went to Liverpool, working his passage to save his money. He remained there seven months and in August, 1885, started from Scotland with a car load of sheep, which he took to Miles City, Montana, for the Montana Sheep & Cattle Company, for whom he worked nearly two years. He returned to Cass county in July, 1887, and the following spring rented land and began farming in Eddy county, and after two years there he went to Wells county, in 1889, and entered a tree claim and pre-emption in township 150, range 72. On his farm he built a 10x12-foot shanty and a sod barn and began his farming, but was in debt when he began. He now owns four hundred and eighty acres of good land, and he has placed the usual improvements on the place and provided a home of more than usual comforts. He follows mixed farming, but devotes more attention to grain raising, in which he has met with good success. Our subject was married, in December, 1896, to Mrs. Nelson. Mrs. Lyall was born and raised in Denmark, and was a daughter of Jense Matson. She came to America in 1895. Mr. and Mrs. Lyall are the parents of two children, as follows: Mary and James. Mr. Lyall has always taken an active interest in local affairs of a public nature, and served as a member of the first school board of Wells township, and has also filled other township offices. He is independent in political faith. He holds membership in the Presbyterian church and the Modern Woodmen of America. Mrs. Lyall is a Royal Neighbor. [History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails