Brown County was so named in honor
of two members of the legislature who reported the bill for organization of the county.
Its boundaries were defined by act of the legislature
approved February 19, 1883.
Ainsworth: Named in honor of
Captain James E. Ainsworth, of Missouri Valley, chief civil engineer for the railroad during construction.
The village was incorporated on December 2, 1883. Ainsworth is in Ainsworth precinct and is the county seat of Brown county.
Alkali: A locally descriptive name
for a locality in the western part of Brown county in Moonlake precinct.
Altai: A locality and a former
post office in Johnstown precinct. The name is from the Latin altus, meaning high or elevated. The place is on the watershed or divide,
hence the name.
Beardwell: Beardwell was named for
an elderly citizen who started a store and post office in the town about twelve years ago. Later he sold out and left the vicinity.
Enderslake: The post office and
the lake in this town were both named in honor of J. E. Enders who owned the ranch on which the lake and fishing resort are located. The ranch consists of seven thousand
acres of land. Mr. Enders settled in the vicinity in 1884.
Giles: This post office was
established in 1897 and was named for its first postmaster, a man by the name of George Giles who settled in this vicinity about forty years ago. Mr. Giles is now living at Elsmere, Nebraska, and is past ninety-eight years of age. Gannett, Place Names in the United States,
erroneously states that the office was named for Giles Mead.
Huffman: A locality and a former
post office in Hester precinct, apparently named for a local resident.
Johnstown: The land on which
Johnstown is located was homesteaded by John Berry who drove the mail stage through this vicinity to Fort
Niobrara before the railroad was built. The town was named for him. He was
right-of-way and pioneer man for the railroad during construction. The precinct
has the same name.
Lakewood: A locality and a former
post office in Moonlake precinct. The name is for the lakes in the vicinity. A neighboring precinct has
the same name.
The first settlement
was made by H. M. Uttley, May 13, 1878. The town was named because of its location on Long Pine creek. Long Pine creek was so named because of the large amount of pine timber growing along its bluffs. Long Pine creek is a translation of the Dakota name Wazi-honska Wakpala, or the Omaha
name Mazi-snede Wachishka.
This office was established
about 1907 or 1908 and was named after the first postmaster, Mrs. Mary O'Neill.
This place is located in
Lakeland precinct in the middle of the valley or vale of the Calamus river, hence the name shortened to
Midvale. The post office has recently been discontinued.
This post office is located
near the center of Hester precinct and was named after the postmaster, Frank Pike.
A locality and a former
post office in Smith Precinct. The name is probably local in origin.
A village and a former
post office in Hester precinct probably named for a local resident. Formerly the post office was in Rock
A locally descriptive
name for a locality and a former post office in Smith precinct.
A village and a former post
office near the northeast corner of Brown County in Pine Glen precinct. The
name is probably for a local resident.
Nebraska Place Names – Lillian
Linder Fitzpatrick - 1925