Tekamah

 

 

 

 

Tekamah, the county seat, is located in the southeastern part of the county, partly on the bottom lands of the Missouri, and partly on the contiguous bluffs.

 

The name was given to it by W. N. Byers, one of the early transient set­tlers, the privilege of naming it having fallen to him by lot. He gave it the name Tekamah in commemoration of some place in the Far West which he had visited, or in which he had resided.

 

The first claim made on the present site of Tekamah was by:

 

 B. R. Folsom

W. N. Byers

J. W. Patterson

H. C. Purple

John Young

Jerry Folsom

Mr. Maynard,

William T. Raymond

Mr. White

 

 in the name of the Nebraska Stock Company, on October 7, 1854.

 

This party of pioneers left Council Bluffs, Iowa, on October 2, and, after passing through Omaha, the site of the deserted Mormon city of " Winter Quarters," now Florence, reached, the site of the present city of Fontanelle, on October 5.

 

There they found Dr. H. M. Clark and two other men, who had one hour before arrived and Deidrick Fees and wife joined the first settlers.

 

Mrs. Fees was the first white woman to come into the county.

 

On the 18th of July following, a little colony from La Salle County, Illinois, which had settled upon claims just north of Silver Creek, moved to Tekamah, doing this for safety upon hearing of the killing and scalping of the two white men, Porter and Demaree, near Fontanelle.  Fear of the Indians was very great in those days, and greatly retarded the de­velopment of the country.

 

This colony consisted of:

 

G. M. Peterson

 T. Thompson

 John Oak

George Eriekson

 

and their families; twenty-four in all.

 

Tekamah was incorporated as a city very early in its history, on March 14, 1855. and  became the county seat at the same time.

 

Olney Harrington was made Postmaster in 1855.

 

Miles Chillcot opened the first store in 1856.

 

Michael Olinger arrived in the fall and built a blacksmith shop.

 

The first child born was in the fall of 1855, to Mrs. Thomas Thompson, who died in child birth. Hers was the first death, and the child lived but a few days.   

 

The first mar riage was that of Lewis P. Peterson to Miss Elsa Thompson, in the fall of 1855.

 

The first school was taught by J. R. Conkling in 1857.

 

The first sermon was preached on Sunday, November 5, 1854, by a Methodist minister.

 

Rev. William Bates preached in July, 1855, also a Methodist; and the Rev. Jacob Adriance, of the De Soto Circuit, was the first regular preacher.

 

In August, 1856, a Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by Rev. L. F. Stringfield.

 

Tlie first physician was J. H. Conkling, of Chicago, who located here in 1857, and was a brother of the present editor of the Burt County News, A. T. Conkling.

 

The first lawyer was J. H. Smith, who came in 1862.

 

The first newspaper was the Burt County Pilot, established in 1871, by J. Y. Lambert, and which was moved to Blair in 1874.

 

The next was the Burtonian, established in 1872, and edited by G. P. Hull, who is still its editor.

 

O. P. Thomas and wife reached here in 1856.

 

Tekamah has one  graded school, with four teachers, and one ward school.  The principal school building is a fine two-story frame, coating $5,000, and located in a pleasant park of nearly two acres.

 

There are now in Tekamah five church organizations— Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran and Episcopalian—all but the last having church edifices.

 

Tekamah is on the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad, which affords line shipping facilities.

 

 In 1880, the United States census gave it a population of 776.  It is now estimated at 1000.

 

The town contains various business establishments, and some of its enterprising bus­iness men have recently erected fine brick blocks.

 

It has good hotel accommodations, the last hotel being a fine two-story brick, erectod in 1880.

 

There are in Tekamah five general stores, two hardware, three drug and three millinery stores, two agricultural im­plement depots, two elevators, four blacksmith shops and two lumber yards, four physicians and five lawyers.

 

Under the operation of the local option law, Tekamah has now no licensed saloons, and contains an orderly, enterprising and intelligent population.

 

 

History of Nebraska, 1882