With the advent of the Union Pacific Railroad put an end to what may be called the "early times," although for several
years the town had not grown. Among others who arrived just after the depot, section house, and one or two sod
shanties had been erected was H. Holcomb, now proprietor of the Herald.
After the railroad station and section house had been erected in 1868, the next building which appeared in Schuyler
was the dwelling erected for W. P. P. St. Clair, the agent and telegraph operator.
Next L. C. Smith & Brother opened the first general store in the spring of 1869. They obtained their stock of goods
from Omaha, the building in which they set up shop was small..
Thomas Shaw started in business as a blacksmith at about the same period. Afterwards came Frank Tolda, Sumner
Brothers, Parker Brothers and others.
Up to the spring of 1869, in fact, Schuyler was basically only a railroad station. In these early days the section boss
was J. J. Riley, now of Columbus. He has the honor of erecting the very first house built in Schuyler
The town of Schuyler was platted by H. M. Hoxie and Webster Snyder, officials of the U. P. R. R., April 6, 1869.
E. E. Greenman, County Surveyor, laid it out. Soon afterward the town site passed into the hands of Clarkson
In January, 1870, an addition, South Schuyler, was made by Daniel Hashberger, Clarkson's Addition being filed
the month before. Additions have since been made by M. B. Hoxie (May, 1870); J. T. Clarkson, (5th addition,
December, 1880); and Clarkson Dorsey's (July, 1881).
The Land Office of the U. P. R. R. Co. was established in 1881, C. P. Tury having charge of it until 1877, since which
time J. T. Clarkson has managed the business.
By the spring of 1873 Schuyler had so increased in population and prospects that it was determined to adopt a city
form of government. A special election was called May 12, 1873, when the following officers were elected:
Mayor, F. E. Frye
Police Judge, C. M. Greenman
Councilmen: John Carel
C. P. Tury
A. P. Upton,
J. C. McBride,
C. E. Sumner
D. H. Van Antwerp
Marshall, M. Helmer
The municipal form of government existed until 1879, when by the passage of an act fixing the population limit of all
second-class cities at 1,500, Schuyler was debarred from the newly acquired honors.
From present appearances, however, it is believed that she will at once regain her old name and place among the cities
of the State.
Source: Andreas History of Nebraska