West Point, the county seat of Cuming County, is situated on the
Elkhorn River, southeast of the central part of the county. The Sioux City
& Pacific road (Elkhorn Valley Branch) passes through it, the growth
of the town dating from 1870, the railroad having reached West Point in
November of that year.
It is now a town of 1,100 inhabitants, and is
a shipping point for grain and livestock. Its general trade is also good,
and, through the exertions of the West Point Manufacturing Company and the
Butter and Cheese Association, the town is a
manufacturing and dairy center.
It has a fine court house, a splendid
schoolhouse in process of erection, and its business edifices are, many of
them, built solidly of brick. West Point has grown and is growing.
West Point was surveyed and platted
in October, 1869, and recorded in May, 1870
The land upon which the town
site was located embraced the homesteads of John D. Neligh, Thomas King
and J. B. Hulst, and portions of David Neligh's and M. J. Hughes'.
streets were laid out eighty feet wide, except Sheridan, Willow and David,
which were sixty-six feet in width.
Additions were made as
follows: Douglass' Addition, in April, 1870; Blair's, in April, and
Hughes' and Coburn's in August, 1871; Neligh's First Addition in June and
the Second in August, 1875.
The town was incorporated by unanimous vote of the County
Commissioners, May 17, 1869, the following being appointed Trustees: J. B.
Thompson, John D. Neligh, John J. Bruner,
John Bromer and
West Point became a city in 1872, J. D. Neligh serving as the first
Mayor. Then, in order, came J. C. Crawford, Herman Kloke, William Drahos,
J. D. Neligh, and Otto Bauman.
In 1879, by State enactment, a return was
made to a town form of government.
Its present officers are:
Trustees--Chairman, Otto Bauman; G. A. Crowell, Jerome Vostrovsky, James
Mortison and David Neligh; Clerk, H. J. Stevens; Treasurer, Jerome
Vostrovsky; Policeman, Carl Schwenk.
Very soon after the town was definitely located the citizens took
precautions against the destruction of their property by fire.
In 1871 the
West Point Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 was organized and a truck was
purchased by the city at a cost of $300, and in November, 1874, the West
Point Engine Company No. 1 was organized. For this the city purchased a
Babcock fire engine, which together with 300 feet of hose cost $1,500.
building occupied by both companies is furnished by the city and is
conveniently located, besides having a large alarm bell attached.
Hook and Ladder Company there are twenty-five active members. Its present
Foreman, Chris. Rupp; Secretary, Carl Schwenk.
thirty active members in the Engine Company. Foreman, Fred. Melcher;
Secretary, Jim Selah. The entire department is under the charge of Otto
Andreas State of Nebraska