Monday morning, Mrs. Allbright, wife of Joseph Allbright, twelve miles north of the city.  We have been unable to learn the particulars of her death except that she had been sick about a week.  her age was 45 years.  The deceased was the mother of Mrs. E.L. Bunch of this city  The funeral was held at the home of the deceased Tuesday.  The Republican extends sympathy to the bereaved.
[source: The Custer Co. Republican, Nov. 15, 1900 edition]

Died Saturday evening, May 19, at 7 o'clock of pneumonia, Zackie the five year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Nort Amsberry.  The little fellow had been low for two weeks and hopes of recovery were considered doubtful from the first.  He was buried in the Ansley cemetery Monday, services being conducted by Rev. Woods, at the Presbyterian church at 10 o'clock. The parents have the sincere sympathy of all our people in their hour of affliction.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, May 24, 1900 edition]


Little Dora Ann, the three year old child of M.L. Amsberry, died Wednesday morning at 8:00 O'clock of heart trouble.  The funeral was held from the home yesterday at 11 :00 O'clock.  Rev. Woods conducting the services after which the remains were laid to rest in the Ansley cemetery.  The entire community deeply sympathies with the bereaved parents over the loss of their little daughter.  Ansley Chronicle

The above was a niece of the editor of the Republican.  It was the intentions to drive down to the funeral with the entire family, but owing to the bad weather Thursday D.M. Amsberry went on the train alone.

Source: Custer County Republican, December 7, 1899

Grandpa Austine that we mentioned in our last items of being sick, died, May the 20th.  He was 85 years old
Source: Sargent New Era, Custer Co. NE., May 27, 1899

one of the early settlers of Westerville, and for a time postmaster there, died yesterday morning, from the result of a fall from a wagon, in which his skull was fractured.  He was burried at Westerville today with masonic honors.
Source: Custer Co. Republican March 6, 1902
Charles U. Baker of Mason City fell from ascaffold and died of the injuries.
source: BeatriceDaily Sun (Beatrice, Neb.)Sunday, Jan. 19, 1908, submitted by FOFG]

We are pained to learn of the death of Mrs. Blanche Ball while enroute to Kansas.  We failed to learn all the particulars.  It seems that she was taking a trip to Kansas with her parents in a wagon for her health and as they were camped for dinner one day the folks went to a house on an errand and returning fifteen minutes later found Mrs. Ball unconscious and a few minutes later she expired.  We understand that her death occured about three weeks ago.  It will be remembered that we chronicled her marriage to Elmer Ball about Christmas.  Blanche Heller was a popular girl and counted among her friends all who knew her.  Her parents, sisters and husband have the sympathy of all in their sad bereavement.
Source: The West Union Gazette, Custer County NE., May 22, 1896

Joe Heffele, of McKinley, was in Tuesday morning after a casket for the baby boy of Daniel Barrett, on West Table, that died Monday afternoon.
[Source: Custer County Republican, March 14, 1901 edition]

Henry Bassett, father of Mrs. Jas. Chittick, died at his home on Friday January 8, 1904, and was buried on Sunday January 10, in Grand View Cemetery
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Custer Co., NE, Jan. 14, 1904

Mr. Isaac Beals, formerly of this vicinity, died very suddenly at his home in Custer County, Nebraska, on last Friday.
Source; The New Era, Humeston, IA, Dec. 19, 1894

was born August 6, 1863, in Henry county, Iowa.  She, with her parents, moved to Cass county, Nebraska, in 1864, where she was married to A.D. Bowman, January1st, 1881.  To this union were born two children: one daughter, deceased, and one son, living.  The family located in Custer county in 1884.  The deceased was 38 years, 4 months and 21 days old.  The father and son, in their sorrow, have the sympathy of the entire community.  Funeral services were held by Rev. teagarden at the house, Saturday, December 28, and burried at New Helena.
Source: Custer County Republican, Jan. 2, 1902

BIRD, ARTHUR a Nebraska Collector
Waylaid and Murdered
Calloway, Nebraska, November 1. 1899
Edward Bird, a merchant of this place, received a telegram from Oklahoma today telling of the murder and robbery of his brother, Arthur Bird, a traveling collector.  He was waylaid in a country district and robbed of $2,000.  Bird was prominent in Masonic and Pythian circles and these lodges will try and capture his murderers.

[Grand Forks Herald  November 2, 1899,TRANSCRIBED BY: FRANCES COOLEY]

Miss Carrie Boley died at her home in Round Valley Thursday of last week.  The funeral was held Sunday.

Source: The West Union Gazette, Jan. 24, 1896

Mrs. A.G. Bowmen of the northwest part of the city died Sunday from a cancerous tumor of the bowels.  She had been sick since last February.  She leaves a husband, 2 sons and 3 daughters to mourn her death.   She was 74 years old.  The funeral services were onducted by Rev. E.D. Eubank.  Her remains were taken to Gates for burial Monday.
Source: Custer County Republican, Sept. 19,1901

West of this city, Wednesday morning, April 18, 1900.  The deceased had been sick for several weeks and her death was not unexpected.  Wh have been unable to learn any further particulars other than the funeral services were conducted today by Rev. Epley.  The Republican extends to Mr. and Mrs. Hogaboom the sincere sympathy of their many friends in their bereavement.
[source: Custer County Repuclican, April 19, 1900 edition]

of Callaway, formerly of this city, died Tuesday.  His remains were brought here for burial yesterday.   The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon in the M.E. church, Rev. Trites officiating.   He was buried with military honors by the G.A.R. of this post.  Soldiers of the Spanish War served as guards of honor.  The deceased was among the early settlers of West Table and had the high esteem of all who knew him
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Sept. 4, 1902

At her home near Endell, NE of consumption, July 14, 1900 at sunset.  Mrs. Edith L. Brooks, beloved wife of Thomas H. Brooks and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Gibson, aged 28 years, 3 weeks and 3 days.  Survived also by: one brother and one sister, L.E.Gibson and Mrs. H.I. Yenson of Lowell, NE. and also a three year old son.
(source: Custer Co. Republican, August 16, 1900 edition)

Old Buck, B.O. Shedd's buckskin horse, aged 27 years; never a better horse looked through a collar.
Source: Custer Co. Repbulican, Dec. 19, 1901

The community is deeply grieved at the death of Mrs. Budd, which occured last Sunday evening.  Last Tuesday she and her husband returned from Grand Island, where the doctors assured her they could not aid her, and she grew rapidly worse until death came and relieved her.  Funeral services were held Tuesday
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Jan. 23, 1902

The Republican extends the sympathy of the community to Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Burk in the loss of their infant girl, who died last Monday afternoon.
source: Custer Co. Republican, Sept. 7, 1899

Died, Mr. Alfred E. Burrows, aged twenty-one years, two months and twenty days of spinal menengitis, on Saturday April 8th.  The remains were taken to Palymyra for burial.
[source: Custer County Republican, April 13, 1899]

of Ansley, an early settler of the vicinity of Westerville, died Tuesday of last week after but three days sickness.
[source: Custer County Republican, January 25, 1900 edition]

To Neighbor Carland:
We the members of the Custer Camp. No. 4477 Modern Woodman of America heartly extend our sincere sympathy to neighbor Carland and family in the loss of their child, and we hereby request that this be published in the Broken Bow paper and a copy sent to the bereved family.  Signed: G.T. Robinson, R.A. Hunter and E.A. Moore
[source: Custer County Republican,November 9, 1899]

Tuesday, April 29, Rosina L., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Chapin of this city, with pnumonia, aged 17 years, 9 months, and 19 days.  The deceased was the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chapin.  She was sick only about two weeks with the fatal disease.  She was a member of the Christian church and an active worker in the endeaver society.  She was highly esteemed among her young assoicates and will be greatly missed by them as well as from the home circle.  The funeral was held yesterday afternoon in the Christian church, conducted by Rev. Allison and her remains laid to rest in the Broken Bow Cemetery.  The Republican extends to the bereaved family the sincere sympathy of the community.
Source: Custer County Republican, Custer Co., Neb., May 1, 1902

daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Chittick, Tuesday March 25 of brain fever, age 1 year, 8 months and 18 days.  Rev. S.W. Richards conducted short religious services at the house yesterday morning after which the remains were taken to Grand View Cemetery of Dawson county for burial where the parents have two children burried.  The Republican extends to the parents the sincere sympathy of the community in their bereavement.

Source: Custer County Republican, March 27, 1902

Albert Cooley, son of Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Cooley of Cooleyton, died Saturday, January 4, after an illness of about four weeks.  The funeral was held Monday at 11 o'clock from the Cummings Park Church, the services being conducted by John Sutton.  The body was laid to rest in the West Union cemetery and was followed hither by a large concourse of friends.  Death lays a heavy hand, not only upon the aged and grief stricken parents, but upon the entire community by whom Albert was universally beloved.  It is safe to say that there is not a home in which he was known that does not feel a sense of personal loss in his death, for his frank, open hearted nature was one to inspire confidence and win friends.  Head he lived until February 2d he would have been 18 years of age.
Source: West Union Gazette, Custer Co. NE, Jan. 10, 1896

Cox, Isabella
Died on Wednesday April 13, 1897, Isabella, wife of Eligah Cox, aged 41 years, 9 months, 20 days.  Funeral services will be held on Saturday at the home.  Interment will be made in the Douglas Grove Cemetery.
Source: Sargent Echo, April 16,1897

at his home in this city Monday afternoon, June 10, of heart failure, aged 80 years, 3 months and 9 days.  
Source: Custer County Repbulican, June 13, 1901.

Rev. J. W. Megan was called to Mullen, Sunday, to preach the funeral of Mrs. Cudabec, sister in law of Wilson Hewitt.   The deceased was formerly a resident of this city,(Broken Bow) she was a music teacher and her name then was Reynolds.
[source: Custer County Republican,February 1, 1900]
Owner of St. James Hotel Leaves a $100,000 Estate
James D. Cunningham, 55 years old, died at the St. Mary's Hospital at 12:55 o'clock yesterday. Mr. Cunningham has been in poor health for several weeks. He was born in Madison, Wis., February 11, 1856. He lived at Sargent, Neb., where he engaged in the hardware and implement business with his brother-in-law, and at Brokenbow, Neb., where he was in the live stock business. In 1898 he moved to Enid, Ok., and started a hardware store, also serving a term as county treasurer for Garfield County, Oklahoma. In 1902 he moved to Keytoeville, Mo., where he made his home. He left an estate valued at $100,000 in Kansas City. He owned the St. James Hotel at Tenth and Locust streets and land in Southern Missouri and Oklahoma. His wife and seven children, Mrs. T. W. Smith, Mrs. George D. Key, both of Lawton, Ok., John W. Cunningham, a student of the University of Missouri; Orval J. Cunningham, a physician of this city and Grace Gladys, Leota Ellen and James D. Jr., all living at home.  
(Source: Kansas City Star, May 15, 1911, page 3, submitted by: Peggy Thompson)

Died on the evening of Jan. 22, 1903, hazel, little daughter of John and Sarilda Dodd, aged 8 years, 5 months and 22 days.  She was taken some two months ago with rheumatism and during all those weary weeks her suffering was too great to allow her to lay down in bed, she just slept and rested siting up in a rocking chair.  At the time of her death her father was sick in bed too and Dr. Pennington was attending them both.  he was there in the morning, and in the evening she had eaten quite a supper of beef tea and crackers, as the Dr. had told her she must to get well.  A few moments later her mother noticed something unusual.  In lifting her in her arms said, "Hazel, Darling what ails you." "I hurt so here mamma" she saidlifting her little white hand to her heart.  Those wre her last words, she never breathed again; rheumatism of the heart never claimed a fairer flower or one better loved.  She leaves parents 4 brothers and 5 sisters and a host of riends to mourn her loss.  Her remains were tenderly away in the Kopp cemetery.
Source: Custer County Republican, Broken Bow NE, January 29, 1903

The remains of Jamse Douglas, who died suddenly Tuesday evening, were taken to the M.E. church Saturday at 12 noon, where services were conducted by Rev. E. H. Maynard, after which the body was borne to the West Union cemetery and interment made beside that of a son, who proceeded him many years ago.
Source: The Sargent Leader, Sargent, NE, Feb. 5, 1914

Cameron, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Dowe died Wednesday, October th, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Greenfield, Mrs. Dowes parents.  Cholera infantum was the cause of death, which was very sudden.  The funeral was held Thursday, and the remains buried in the Lodi cememtery.   We extend to the bereaved relatives the sincere sympathy of the entire community.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, October 17, 1901
Friday, March 10th youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Wm Edmunds, of Cumro (?) with Typhoid-pneumonia, age two years, four months and seven days.
The little sufferer had been sick two weeks when called and relieved from her misery.  The funeral was conducted Saturday from First Eudell Baptist Church. The Rev. S.E. Baldwin officiating.  Her remains were laid to rest in the Boxelder cemetery.  The friends desire to express their sincere sympathy to the sorrowing parents and family in their sad bereavement through the columns of the Republican.
[source: Custer County Republican March 16, 1899]

Died June 19, 1901, of complication of diseases, Minnie, daughter of Joseph and Effie Evans, aged 9 months 2 days.  Funeral thursday June 20th at 10 oclock a.m. at West Union church, burial at Sargent cemetery.  The parents and relatives have the sympathy of the people of West Union and vicinity in their sad bereavement.
Source; The Sargent Leader, Sargent Neb. June 19, 1901

Jas. Foley, of Dale, had his head crushed and was killed almost instantly, last Friday, while in the act of coupling cars, west of Alliance the fourth station.  The deceased was about twenty-four years old.  He had been working at Alliance two weeks switching in the yards, and this was his first trip on the road.  He was attempting to couple the air hose, and was in a stooping position and as he raised up the back of this head was caught between the bumpers and crushed.
His remains were shipped to Merna Saturday morning and laid to rest in the Dale cemetery.  The deceased was the son of Edward Foley Sr.
[Source: The Custer County Republican, Broken Bow, NE, Jan. 3, 1901]

Joseph Pigman of Cumro, was a city visitor Monday.  Mr. Pigman informs us that his father in law, T.K. George of Kearney, also father of W.A. George, of Georgetown died last week.  The Republican extends sincere sympathy to the relatives in their great bereavement.
[Source, Custer County Republican, October 18,1900 edition]

Mrs. R. Gift of Custer Canyon, died Monday, after about 8 ears of suffering, and was burried at Custer Center Tuesday.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Custer County Nebraska, May 1, 1902

Died Saturday night, Aug. 2, at 12 o'clock, Charmal J., the son of Mr. and Mrs. N. Gleim, aged two years and twenty-one days.   The deceased had only been sick for a week and all that human aid could do was of no avail.  He was the only child and his loss is very hard for the fond parents to bear.  In their great grief they have the sincere sympathy of their many friends and acquaintances.  The funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon from the residence.  Rev. S.W. Richards conducting the services.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Aug. 7, 1902.

Died, Near College Springs, Iowa, on January 11, 1900, Mr. L.A.B. Griffith, formerly of Ryno, of paralysis, aged 78 years.  Man goes to his long home and the mourners go about the street.
[source: Custer County Republican, January 18, 1900 edition]

The youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Gunnerson of West Union, was bitten by a rattlesnake Monday morning and died shortly afterwards, before a doctor could be secured.  The little girl, who was seven years old, was playing in a canyon near the home when she was bitten.  Mr. and Mrs. Gunnerson have the sympathy of all in their sad bereavement.
Sargent Leader, August 14, 1901

Last weeks Leader told our readers that Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Anderon took Mrs. Oscar Gunnerson to Rochestier, Minnesota to consult Mayo Bros. concerning her health.  The told them there that they could not do anything for her.  They returned to Sargent Tuesday evening of this week.  She paased away at her home in this city at two oclock Friday morning and the funeral will be held at the Methodist church next Sunday afternoon at two oclock.
Source: The Sargent Leader, Thursday July 30, 1925

Mouton Hammond, a boy about 12 years old was killed, by lightening last Tuesday morning.  He and his younger sister were on their way to school.  The girl was near her brother at the time the fatal bolt struck him and had just given him her lunch pail to carry while she removed the sand burrs from her stockings.  She was in a stooped position, removing the burrs from her stockings when her brother, but a few feet in front of her killed.  Being but slightly stunned by the shock, on discovering her brother was dead, she ran eighty rods to Johnsons and secured assistance.  The deceased was a nephew of Gale Hammond, with whom he and his sister were making their home, their father being dead.  The boy was quite bright and his premature death was greatly regretted by all.  

J.W. Hartley, a former resident of this county and at one time a member of the county board, who for seveal years has been residing at Lincoln, died at the home of his son, A.B. Hartley, on the Middle Loup last Sunday.  He was up on a visit.  On coming out he contracted a cold which, resulting in pneumonia, took hem away.  Mr. Hartley was a man who enjoyed the high esteem of his neighbors, and had been an energetic business man.  The bereaved relatives have the sincere sympathy of their many friends in their bereavement.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, April 5, 1900 edition]

Mrs. Fila Harvey (nee Damon) died at her home near Sargent Monday of last week, and her remains were buried on the following Wednesday.  Mrs. Harvey was formerly a teacher in ths county and was a most excellent woman.  She leaves a husband and two children of her immediate family to mourn her death. She was a sister of Mrs. Harry Wright of this vicinity.  The Republican extends sympathy to the relatives in their great bereavement.
Source: Custer County Republican, August 15, 1901.

Miss Esther Hayes, teacher in the Ansley schools, who was brought to the Broken Bow hospital for treatment last Thursday night, died Saturday about one oclock.  Her trouble was a telescope of the bowels and an operation was performed with hope of extending relief.  Her remains were shipped to Ansley where funeral services were held Monday, Rev. Hornaday, of this city officiating.  The deceased was a resident of Westerville, where her parents live.  She had been engaged in teaching for a number of years and was highly respected by all who knew her.
Source: Custer County Republican, April 13, 1899

Wm. Hircock, who resides ten miles west of here died very suddenly last night of heart failure, at 11:10 as he was about to retire for the night.  The funeral will take place tomorrow morning at 11 oclock.  The Rev. Cinton will conduct the service.    We extend our sympathy to the bereaved family. -Merna Sun
[Source: Custer Co. Republican, Broken Bow, NE, Jan. 3, 1901]

Saturday, Jan. 13th, 1900
at his home northeast of this city, with tumor of the stomach, aged 43 years, three months and two days.  The deceased had been a resident of the county for the past thirteen years.  he was a man highly respected by his neighbors and all who knew him.  He was strictly honest, a good neighbor, kind husband, father and chritain man.   For nearly thirty years he had been a faithful and consistant member of the Primitive Baptist church.  He leaves his family in comfortable circumstances and but last season had built a fine frame house, which he has been able to enjoy but a short time.  He leaves a wife and three boys to mourn his death.  His mother, who lived with him and a brother, James H. and a sister, Mrs. Bass of Grand Island are the only ones of his mother's family survive him.  The funeral was preached from the family residence Monday, by Rev. J.R. Woods of Mason city.  The attendance was large.  His remains were laid to rest in the Broken Bow Cemetery.  The Republican extends sympathy to the family and relatives in their sad bereavement.
[source: Custer Co. Republican,Jan. 18, 1900 edition]

February 27th at 5 oclock, Jacob E. Hoshaw, age 21 years and 6 months, of pneumonia.  The deceased was the oldest son of Samuel Hoshaw who lives north of the city.  He had the typhoid fever a year agoe and never fully received from the effects when he was taken with pneumonia and his system was so run down that he could not withstand the attack.   He leaves father, mother, five brothers and three sisters to mourn his death.  The parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hoshaw, desire to express their thanks to the people of Merna and Ash Creek who lent their assistance in their sad affliction.
[source: Custer Co. Republican,March 8, 1900 edition]

Mrs. F. Moore received word by telegram, Monday night, that her stepfather, Mr. Wm. Hubbell, died at his son's in Iowa Sunday.  The remains were to be shipped to Bradshaw Tuesday, and Mrs. Moore left Tuesday morning for Bradshaw, and will return next Friday.  Mr. Hubbell was R.E. Wright's stepfather and was formerly a resident of this place.
[Source: Custer Co. Republican, Dec. 20, 1900 edition]

Saturday, April 7, 1900, Clarence Dewey Humphrey son of Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Humphrey, five miles southeast of the city, of pneumonia, age one year, eleven months and twenty days.  The deceased had only been sick twelve days when called home.  All that loving parents, kind friends and medical skill could do was done but proved of no avail.  The funeral was conductued Sunday afternoon from the King school house by Rev. E.A. Knight, at 2 oclock with a large attendance.  The remains were laid to rest Sunday afternoon in the Broken Bow Cemetery.  The Republican in behalf of the community extends to Mr. and Mrs. Humphrey the sincere sympathy of their many friends in their bereavement.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, April 12, 1900 edition]

On reciept of the news last Friday that Sargeant Humphrey, late member of Co. M. had died at Seward, both the city and Co. M. flags were lowered to half mast.
[source: Custer County Republican, November 23, 1899 edition]

The seven year old son of D.E. Johnson, of measles and lung fever
The deceased was a grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Persell.  the remains were shipped here Tuesday for burial.  The Funeral services were held yesterday at the residence of the grand parents by Rev. Doggett.  The Republican extends to the grand parents and other relatives its sincere sympathy.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, April 19. 1900 edition]

At the National W.R.C. Home in Madson Ohio, Tuesday, May 1st, Mrs. Martha King.  The deceased was formerly a resident of this vicinity.  Her husband had predeeded her to the better land some ten or twelve years.  Having no children she went first to California with a view of making her home with a brother, but in about a year she returned to this place.  After disposing of her property she went to National W.R.C. Home in Ohio where she had been for several years prior to her death.  She and her husband were charter members of the Baptist church of Broken Bow.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, May 10, 1900 edition]

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs Moss King died on Tuesday from pneumonia and was buried Wednesday.
[Source: Custer Co. Republican, March 28, 1901]

Andrew J. Knepper, 88, a pioneer of Custer county and former state senator, died last night at his home here.  He had been ill several months.  In 1871 he removed to Custer county from  Iowa and settled on an 80 acre homestead.
{source: Beatrice Daily Sun,July 22, 1930}

Callaway- Mrs. Otto Knoche, pioneer of Callaway, died at Plymouth, Neb., and was buried here.

[source: Omaha World Herald  29 Mar. 1922, submitted by FOFG]

Mrs. Joseph Kuklis died at her home in this city last Monday after an illness of several weeks.  The funeral was held Wednesday at the Bohemian National Hall, in Valley county, and interment was made in what is called the National cemetery at Geronium in Valley county.  Rev. Rohdan Fillipi, pastor of the Evangelic church at Clarkson, Nebraska, had charge of the services.  The editor has not been able to get a suitable obituary for this issue, but one of the daughters, Mrs. Peter Janesofsky of Somerford has promised to give us some data that we need, so that next week we will give more about the life of Mrs. Kuklis.
Source: The Sargent Leader, May 3, 1923

Died, April 24th, deceased had been a suffer for several years; she was buried from  the Baptist church  in the Box Elder cemetery. The sympathy of the neighborhood is extended to the sorrowing husband and sons.
Source: Custer County Republican, May 4, 1899, transcribed by Melody Beery]

Died, Mrs. Horrace Lang, Friday January 17.  Funeral Sunday.  We learn from R.D,. Callen that Mrs. Horrace Lang died last Friday morning after giving birth to twins, only one of the twins is living.  The deceased leaves a husband and five children to mourn her sad removal.  Mr. Lang's father and mother and brother of Lenox Iowa were among the mourners prest at the funeral which was held Sunday.  The Republican extends the sympathy of the vicinity and acquaintances to the relatives in their great bereavement.
source: Custer Co. Republican, Jan. 23, 1902

Last Friday morning the oldest, a fourteen years old son of S.K. Lee, of Round Valley, accidentally  discharged his shot gun and inflicted a mortal wound upon himself.  The boy was out with a team and wagon, on which was his shot gun.  As the gun was about to fall from the wagon the boy caught it and in some way it was discharged.  The shot took effect in one thigh and the lower part of the body from which he died the next day.
Source: Custer County Republican, Nove. 23, 1899

Lee Leeper, a former resident of Leepark and Arcadia, was smothered to death in an ore pit in Montana recently.  The remains were interred at Arcadia.
Source: Sargent Leader, Sargent NE, Aug. 27, 1902

Mrs. S.E. Lewis, who conducted the Transit hotel at this place, died last Thursday at 2 oclock p.m. and was buried in the Janesville cemetery Saturday.  Deceased was sixty four years old and leaves four sons and one daughter to mourn her death.  The cause of death was paralysis.
Source: Custer County Republican, Oct. 3, 1901

Mrs. Longfellow, an old resident of the county, died Saturday night, July 26, and was burried Sunday afternoon, in the Merna cemetery beside her husband, who had proceeded her several years, to the born from which no traveler returns.  She was the mother of John Longfellow, Mrs. Wesley Thomas and Mrs. Dick Bryan.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Myers.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Broken Bow, NE, Aug. 7, 1902

George C. Lovejoy Accidentally Kills Himself
Tuesday evening of last week George C. Lovejoy, who was teaching the school in the Phelps district, five miles west of West Union, accidentally shot himself while out hunting.  He had returned from school to his brother Frank's, south of the river.  He tied his horse to the hay stack and went into the house and got the shot gun, and remarked to his sister in law that he was going out to kill some chickens.  Night came on and he did not return.  His brother becoming alarmed, informed the neighbors, and instituted a search for him.  They found his body about eighty rods from the house, with a hole shot through it just below the heart.  He had evidently started home going through the timber claim, and from indications had stumbled over a dead limb.  In the fall the gun was discharged and the stock of the gun broken.  He was a young man of excellent character, and highly respected by all who knew him.
{source: Custer Co. Republican, Sept. 13, 1900 edition}

Mrs. Louisa A. Miller, mother of H. Shoemaker, died Wednesday morning after a lingering illness.  The funeral was held from the home Thursday at 1 p.m. Rev. Powers conducting the services.  The remains were buried in the West Union Cemetery.
Source: West Union Gazette, Custer Co. NE., July 22, 1896

Died:  Mother and child, Thursday, March 29, Mrs. Murphy and child, wife and child of Daniel Murphy of Seneca.
The child was born on the 25th and a as a result of confinement the mother grew worse and the last thirty-six hours before her death was unconscious and did not know that her babe for which she so soon must give up her life had preceaded her in death six hours.  The mother died at one o'clock p.m. at the age of twenty five and the babe at seven a.m.  Since March the 15th Mrs. Murphy had been in the city at the home of Mrs. J.S. Balsch, and her mother in law, Mrs Murphy of Trenton, Neb. was also with her in her confinement.  Her maiden name was Laferty and she was marrried to Mr. Murph at Sheridan Wyoming, last June.  Mr. Murphy is the Road Master of the B.& M. R.R. between Ravena and Seneca Neb.  The funeral services were conducted at the Catholic Church, Saturday, March 31, at 10 a.m. by Fahter Flannigan of Dale.  The attendance at the services were large and an able discourse was delivered.  Their remains were laid to rest in the St. Joseph Cemetery just west of the city.  Mr. Murphy and relatives have the sincere sympathy of the community in their great bereavement.  
There were a number present at the funeral from a distance, the following is a list:
Mrs. Walsh, an aunt of Parker, Wy.;
Mrs. Mullins, a sister, Mr. Mullins and Jas. Laferty, a brother of Sheridan Wyoming;
Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Reardon, J.C. Birdsell and Mr. McIntyre of Alliance;
Mr. and Mrs. Lambert and G.A. Dunlap of Edgemont, S.D.;
Messers Norton and Ed Reardon of Alliance;
J.F. Flemming and Mesdames Harris and Wyatt of Seneca;
A brother of the deceased in Chicago; and her mother who lives in Canada could not be present at the funeral.
Card of Thanks,  I wish to extend my heart felt thanks to the many kind friends in Broken Bow, who lent assistance and sympathy during the recent sickness and death of my beloved wie and little one....D.Murphy
[source:Custer County Republican, April 5, 1900 edition]

of diptheria, at the home of Lewis Bradburn, Coatsville, Schulyer County, Mo.  Vica Myers, little daughter of Geor. and Carrie Myers of Broken Bow, Custer county, NE, age 7 years, 10 months, 10 days.
[Source: Custer County Republican, Dec. 6, 1900, transcribed by Melody Beery]

Attorney Naylor of Callaway, who has been in the city several days attending Court was found dead in his bed, at the Morrisey resturant, at six oclock this morning.  He had been drinking heavily for several days.  Heart failure is said to have caused his death.  No inquest was held.  He is about sixty years old and leaves a wife and two small children.  His remains will be taken to Callaway tomorrow.
Source: Custer County Republican, November 23, 1899 edition.]

The Abe Northy home, near the north county line, was saddened on Saturday, Aug. 16, when their sixteen year old son died, following an illness of three weeks from throat troubles, later developing into an abcess on the brain.  The lad was employed by Dell Brannon on a farm.  He became ill and left for his home.  A few days later he began feeling a great deal improved, returned to work but relapse set in.  All the home remedies were applied and later two physicians were summoned.  In spite heir efforts he gradually grew worse and Saturday, after a hard week the end came peaceably.

The funeral was held Sunday, Aug. 17th from the late residence, attended by scores of the neighbors and companions of the boy, after which the body was tenderly borne to the West Union Cemetery, where interment was made.  The deceased was born November 26th 1897 and died Aug. 16th, 1913, and was the oldest son of the family.  His death is a distinct loss to the father and mother.
Source: The Sargent Leader, Sargent, NE, Aug. 28, 193

Friday night, Floyd the three year old boy of Mr. and Mrs. Jas. C. Osborne of this city.  The deceased was taken violently with spasms Sunday week resulting in kidney trouble, developed from Scarlet fever las winter.  The parents have the sincere sympathy of the community and their sad bereavement.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, July 12, 1900 edition]

Twin baby girls were born to Mr. and Mrs. Earl Owen Sunday morning June 15th.  They were given the names Ruth and Ruby Owen.  But the glad event was soon turned to one of sorrow for one of them died Sunday afternoon and the other Monday afternoon.  The funeral was held at the home Tuesday afternoon at two oclock and interment was made in the West Union cemetery.
Source: The Sargent Leader, June 19, 1924

At her home in Swiss Valley, Friday, June 1st.  Mrs. Nancy Parkhurst of heart failure, age 71 years 8 months and 21 days.  The deceased was mother of Chas. Parkhurst, of Merna, Ellen, an invalid daughter who made her home with her, Mrs. Jas. Porter of Elton.  M.M. Parkhurst was her step son.  She had been a professor religion since early child hood and until the last few years was a member of the missionalry Baptist church.  Several years she has been a member of the M.E. Church of this place.  The funeral was conducted Saturday afternoon in the M.E. church by Rev. E.A. Knight.  The Republican extends to the relatives the sincere sympathy of their friends in their hour of bereavement.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, June 7, 1900 edition]

who has been in the asylum for sometime, died at Lincoln, May 11.  Her remains were shipped here for interment Monday night.  The funeral was held in the M.E. church Tuesday morning.  Rev. Trites in charge.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Custer Co. NE, May 15, 1902

Grandpa Pinchin, an old settler, who lived in the hills east of town, died Monday and was buried Tuesday in the Sargent cemetery.  Rev. Cassidy conducted the services.
Source: Sargent New Era, Sargent NE, Aug. 31, 1901

We learn from a Denver paper shown us by Miss Smetz, that J.A. Pike who until recently was a resident of this county, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C.L. Ward in Denver, January 17 of blood poisioning, age 76 years.  He was born at Waterford, Vt. in 1826 and located in Custer County before the organization of the county, on the Loup near old Custer.  He was a Royal Arch Mason in good standing for more than 52 years and was one of the charter members of the Masonic lodge of Broken Bow.  He was respected and esteemed by all who knew him.  He leaves a wife and daughter.  His remains were laid to rest Sunday, January 19.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Jan. 30, 1902


Newton Province at the hospital at Kearney Neb., aged about forty years on July 27.  He had been sick since early spring with Dyspepsia, but the immediate cause of death was dropsy; his remains were brought to Oconto on Monday's train then to River side cemetery where they were laid to rest soon after their arrival.  He is survived by his aged mother, five brothers, six sisters and his wife and twin children.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, August 1, 1901 edition

Pursell, Katie
Mrs. Katie Pursell, wife of William Pursell, near Mason City, died May 31, after a short illnes of four days with appendicitis.  Mrs. Pursell was 36 years old and had been married since May 1887.  She was the daughter of F.X. Hantz, one of the pioneers of Mason.
Source: Custer County Republican, June 13, 1901.

Mrs. Almira Raymond
Died Friday, June 21, Mrs. Almira Raymond of this city, aged 80 years 8 months and 18 days.  The deceased has been a resident of this county for twenty-one years and for several years has resided in this city with her daughter.  She leaves two sons, Wallace of Union, College and Charles of this vicinity and Miss Flora to mourn her death.  Her remains were laid to rest Sunday in the Custer Center cemetery, where a short service was held.  The Republican extends to the bereaved the sympathy of the community.
Source: Custer County Repbulican, June 27, 1901

At the home of her daughter, Mrs. J.W. Brewer on Wednesday of last week at the age of 84 years.  The deceased fell some three weeks ago fracturing a limb.  Blood poison resulted and caused her death as above stated.  Up to the time of her fall she was quite active for a person of her age and was in exceptionally good health.  Mr. and Mrs. Brewer and family have the consolation of their many friends in their berevement.  The Obituary will be published next week.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, July 12, 1900 edition]

REYNER: At Epworth, Iowa, Sunday October 29th, 1899 after a long illness, aged 56 years   one month and twenty one days.
The deceased was a native of Maryland, having been born there September 8, 1843.  In 1851 he moved with his parents to Iowa.  /When the war broke out in 1861, he was among the first to enlist in Co. A., 9th Iowa Inft.  He served to the close of the war, in 1865, when he was honorably discharged.  He participated in every battle in which his company was engaged except one, and was then in the hospital.   At the close of the war he attended the college at Cornell, Iowa, for two years.  He then engaged in the mercantile business at Maquoket, Iowa, and later at Baldwin, Iowa.  In 1884 he located at Broken Bow, and engaged in the drug business and later started the Racket Store with which he was connected at the time of his death.  Owing to failing health he went to Epworth, Iowa to place himself under the treatment  of his brother, Dr. F. Reyner, where he remained until death relieved him of his sufferings.  Since a resident here he has been an active worker for the building up of Broken Bow, and at an early day laid out an addition to the town, known as Reyners Addition.  June 14th, 1869, he was married to Miss Emily Hamby of Maquoketa, Iowa who survives him.  To them three children were born, of which but one is now living, Allen, who is a resident of this city, and who, with his mother, has charge of the Racket Store.  The funeral was conducted yesterday from his late residence, by the G.A.R., Rev. J.W. Megan preaching the funeral sermon.  The Republican extends its sympathy to the bereaved relatives and friends.
Source: Custer County Republican, November 9, 1899 edition.]
Roberts, Marion
Henry Williams called at this office this Thursday afternoon and informed us that Marion F. Roberts passed away at a hospital in Idaho on Saturday August 19, after a confinement therein for two years because of a breakdown of his health.  Mr. Roberts will be remembered here as an autioneer.  He and his family lived here for some years and fifteen years ago, more or less, went to Idaho where he located at Caldwell.

His oldest daughter is the wife of Charles Ed Williams, the older of the two sons of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Williams.  His second daughter is the wife of George Gatliff.  These two families also live at Caldwell, Idaho.
Source: The Sargent Leader, Sargent NE, August 24, 1939

who for several months has been living in the southwest part of town, died Monday January 1st, at the age of 77 years last August.  He was a former resident of Indiana, but has been a resident of Nebraska for the past fifteen years.  He came from Mullen here.  He is an uncle of Andrew Tree.  The funeral of the deceased was held yesterday.
[source: Custer County, Republican, January 4, 1900 edition]

Mr. Whit Robinson, an old soldier died Saturday morning after a long illness.
Source: Custer County Republican, Dec. 19,1901

Loyd Rusk of Ryno, died last Saturday evening about 6 oclock.  He only lacked three days of being twenty-two years old at the time of his death
Source: Custer County Republican, May 1,1902

Will Cole received a telegram from his sister, Mrs. A.R. Sampson that her husband, A.R. Sampson died last night at Boise City, Idahao, where he had family have made their home for several years.  The deceased was formerly a resident of this city and a host of friends here, who will join the Republican in extending sympathy to his family and relatives who live here.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, April 6, 1899

Died at her home on Redfern Table Thursday October 4, 1901,   Mrs. Ernest Schnieder This was a very sudden death as Mrs. Schneider was in usual health until the day of her death, when she was stricken with appolexy which resulted fatally in a few hours.  She leaves behind a husband and six small children- three boys and three girls, to mourn her death.  A short service was held at the house Monday, October 4th, after which the remains were removed to the Catholic Church in Oconto, where services were conducted by the priest, and the remains were laid to rest in the Catholic Cemetery.  The relatives have the sympathy of the entire community.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Oct. 17, 1901

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Will Sears died Tuesday morning after a lingering illness.  Interment was made Wednesday in the Madison Square cemetery, the services being conducted by Rev. Bails.  The News extends sympathy to the bereaved parents.
Source: The Sargent Leader, Sargent NE, Sept. 24, 1902

The three year old son of Wm. Sellors, living 8 miles northeast of Ansley, fell from a wagon Monday afternoon, the hind wheel passing over his stomach, from the effects of which he died before the arrival of a physician.
Source: West Union Gazette, Custer Co. NE, Nov. 22, 1895

The body of Nat Sims, recently returned from Manila, was shipped to Walnut, Iowa, where his parents reside, for burial, instead of at this place, as was expected.  The members of Co., M., had made all necessary arrangements for burial here.
[Source: Custer County Republican, February 15, 1900 edition]

Died- at the residence of Mr. John Orvis in West Union, Neb., May 14, 1892, Mr. William Smith, after an illness of about three weeks.  Mr. Smith was born in Virginia in the year 1819, and lived in that state until 16 years old, when he moved to Ohio, where he worked at the carpenter trade 15 years.  During his residence in Ohio he moved to Illinois, still following his profession as carpenter.  When he left Illinois he came to Nebraska, where he spent the remainder of his life, leaving this world for a brighter home above at the age of 88.  He leaves a wife and eight children to mourn his loss.  He was loved and respected by all who knew him and had made hosts of friends during his residence here.

Source: West Union Gazette, May 20, 1892

The infant child of J.M. Snell died Sunday and was buried at the Grand View cemetery Monday afternoon.  Rev. Bohart had charge of the service.
Source: Custer County Republican, August 1, 1901

Mrs. Clara Spooner, wife of Ed. C. Spooner, formerly of Comstock, died at their home in Evansville, Wisconsin, Wednesday, April 4th.  The funeral services were held at the residence Saturday afternoon and the interment took place the next day at Monroe, Wisconsin.

The deceased was formerly Miss Clara Wescott.  At one time she and Mr. Spooner resided in this city.  That was something like twenty years ago.  After living here a year or so, they moved back to their farm about two miles west from Comstock and resided there until failing health made it necessary for Mrs. Spooner to leave the farm.  So about four years ago she and her husband went to Wisconsin to live, that being her native state.   Mr. Spooner is a brother of Fay Spooner and Mrs. Harry Sherman of this city.
Source: The Sargent Leader, Sargent, NE, April 12, 1923

On Jan. 17, 1900, at 11 p.m. Mabel, aged four months, and five days, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Stevenson, who reside six miles northwest of West Union.  Little Mabel had been sick only about a week, when she was suddenly called from among us.  Her remains were laid to rest in the west Union cemetery.  The bereaved family have the sympathy of the community.
[Source: Custer Co. Republican]

Stewart, S.S.
an old citizen of the vicinity of Westerville, who has been sick for several weeks, died Monday night.  He was 79 years old.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Dec. 26,1901

Agustus A. Stuckey died Tuesday morning, May 27, 1901, at his home in Ansley after a lingering illness of nearly two months.  He was taken with erysipelas which terminated into abcess of the muscles of the back and hemorrhage of the bowels.  Mr.Stuckey bravely fought back the monster death, which prolonged his days on earth but only to live and suffer the ravages of disease a little longer.  Deceased was born in Altona ILL, March 31, 1863; lived in Illinois until about 15 years ago, when he came to Dawson County, Nebraska and from there to Custer County, Nebraska.  He was married June 1, 1889 to Miss Fannie L. Gleason, of the vicinity of Ansley, to which union there has been born four children, two boys and two girls.

Mr. leaves a mother at Altona, Ill, and three brothers and two sisters, viz:  Mr. Albert Stuckey, Formosa, Kansas; Mr. S.L. Stuckey Lathrope, Missouri; W. C. Stuckey Altona, Illinois; Mrs. Ella Gilchrist, Lathrope, Missouri; and Mrs. Avis Maine, Altona, Illinois, to mourn his death.  He was a man full of enterprise and manliness.  His ability as a business man was that of superiority over others. When the final summons came that he must go, he raised both hands and said:  "God bless us all."  He was willing to go, and said the worst of all was "Leaving his family"  He bid them all good bye and said:  "For them not to feel so bad as it would not be long before they would all be there just the same.

Why God sees fit to call this being away we cannot say, but we say to the sorrowing widow and weeping mother, brothers and sisters, although not here, we know that their hearts are ever beside this beloved wife and children in this sad hour of bereavement, that theyhave the sympathy of the community and many friends who mourn his departure.  

The remains as they lay in the beautiful collored, satin line casket covered with steel grey plush, looked as though sleeping the beautiful sleep of manhood instead of the cold sleep of death.  The funeral services were held in the Woodman hall, Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Jesse Teagarden officiating.  The remains were laid to away in the Ansley cemetery in the presence of sorrowing friends from far and near to wait the glorious dawn of the resurrection morn.  
Source: Custer County Republican, June 6, 1901

At the Broken Bow hospital Monday night, Mrs. Kate Taylor, wife of Deputy Sheriff Taylor of this city.
The deceased had been in poor health for a year, and recently she grew much worse and was taken to the hospital, where she could receive special care, but all to no avail.  the deceased's maiden name was Wescott, she being one of four sisters, who formerly county among Custer county's most efficient teachers.  Miss Eliza is still engaged in the work, and for several years has been teaching in the public schools of Omaha.  The deceased leaves a husband several small children to mourn her death.  The remains were taken to Wescott her former home, yesterday, and were laid to rest in the Wescott cemetery.  Many are the friends of the deceased who wil join us in extending to the relatives our sincere sympathy in their great bereavement.
(source: Custer Co. Republican, August 16, 1900 edition)

Funeral services for W. A. Thompson, pioneer resident of this city, who died from cancer, were held at the Methodist church in Dunning. Mr. Thompson is survived by his widow and four children.
[SOURCE: OmahaWorld Herald 1 Sept. 1922, submitted by FOFG]

eight miles northeast of Westerville, near Weissert, died yesterday morning of child birth, age 39 years.  The deceased leaves a husband and seven children to mourn her death.
[Source: Custer County Republican, Custer Co. NE, Feb. 14, 1901]

who has resided for the past 18 years on his farm in Westerville township, departed this life a little after midnight on March 23.  The funeral took place in the M.E. church on the morning of the 25.  The Rev. W.E. Mathews preached the sermon and the Woodman camp attended and assisted.  Mr. Thornton was 45 years old at the time of his death.  He has been a member of the M.E. church for ten years and was at the time of his death Class Leader, Sunday School Superintendent and Recording Steward.  He leaves a wife, 3 children and a host of friends to mourn his loss, which will be keenly felt.
Source: The Custer County Republican, March 27, 1902

Friday, September 26, 1919, Frank Tvirdik died at his home in Wood's Park from attack of heart trouble which was mentioned in this paper two weeks ago.  Death occurred at 3:00 o'clock in the afternoon.  The deceased was born at Trebetin, Bohemia, July 26, 1844.  He came to the United States in May, 1887, and settled in Valley county, Nebraska, where he has lived ever since, with the exception of three years which were spent in Custer County.  He is survived by his wife and eight children.  He was seventy years and two months of age when death came.
Source: Sargent Leader, Oct. 2, 1919

Mrs. Nora Turnbull died at Dunning Sunday.
Source: Custer County Republican, Custer Co. Nebraska, April 17, 1902

Mott, the three year old son of Mr. and Mrs. M.E. Vandenburg of Sargent, died last Sunday week from the effects of Grip.
Source: Custer Co. Republican, Custer Co. NE, April 24, 1902

Dr. Vaughn, of Alliance, died last Thursday in the pest house of that place, with small pox.  There are yet twelve cases there in the pest house, and ten in the city, says the Alliance Grip.  Eleven cases have been discharged from the doctors care.
[Source: Custer County Republican, January 10, 1901 edition]


Joe Voracek, a thirteen year old Bohemian boy was bitten by a rattle snake about two weeks ago and died from the venom on Thursday afternoon May 14.
Source: West Union Gazette, Custer Co. NE, May 22, 1896

died in peace at the home of her family in West Union, on Sunday, Aug. 25th.  She leaves her husband, and four children.  Her health had been poor for some time, but it was not thought that her condition was critical.  Funeral services were conducted by Dr. Lisle were held in the Methodist Church and the body was taken to Somerford for burial.
Source:  Sargent New Era, Aug. 31, 1901

Tuesday afternoon, at 1:50 o'clock, at his residence in this city, age 77 years, 5 months and 15 days.  The deceased had been poorly for a few days, but was able to be out up to within two days of his death.  He and Mrs. Walton drove out to their farm, southwest of town, Sunday afternoon.  Sunday night he could not lie down, as he was bothered with coughing and smothering spells.  It was thought he was better Tuesday morning, as he seemed easier, and could talk freely.  It was not until noon that his case was considered serious by his family.  

He was born in Ohio in April, 1823, near Lake Erie.  In 1858 he moved to Iowa, where he resided until 1886, when he moved to this city, where he has since resided.  Since coming here he has been identified largely with the business interests of the town, and has done his share towards aiding the material growth of the city.  He built and owned the north room of the Union block, the Commercial barn, south of the Commercial hotel, and owns several other buildings in the city.  For a while after he built the store room in the Union block, he run a drug store in it, but finally sold out the stock, and has since employed his time in looking after his other business interests.  He was a man who not only believed in paying his obligations, but had no patience with one who would not.  When a young man he united with the Christian church, and was a faithful member of that denomination at his death.  He was the father of seven children of whom four are dead and three are living.  Those living are Frank, of Lee Park, Philetus, of this city and Mrs. J.G. Speak of Omaha.  These, with his aged wife, are the immediate family who are left to mourn his death.  His only brother who is 89 years of age and living at Utica came up to attend his funeral.  The funeral services will be conducted today, at 2 p.m. from the U.B. Church.  Rev. J.R. Teagarden of Ansley his late pastor will preach the funeral sermon.  The Republican with his many friends extends sympathy to the bereaved relatives.
(Source:  Custer Co. Republican, October 11, 1900 edition)

Saturday, April 7, 1900, at 2:25 a.m. Herman Gilbert, son of J.N. and S.H. West, of pneumonia, age eight months and ten days. The funeral was conducted Sunday afternoon from the residence of the parents by Rev. J.R. Teagarden, and the remains were laid to rest in the Broken Bow Cemetery.  The parents and relatives have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, April 12, 1900 edition]

Wife of Amos Westbrook of this city, died Sunday and was buried at Sommerford Monday.  She has been an invalid for some time.
Source: Custer County Republican, Custer County, Ne., Sept. 11, 1902

Ida McKinley Wilburn, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R.W. Wilburn, east of this city, aged four and one half months.  The remains were laid to rest Wednesday..
Source: Custer County Republican, Oct. 10, 1901

On October 6, 1900, Pearl the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Williams from injuries received from falling from a high chair.  The funeral occurred Sunday, conducted by Rev. Graham and the interment at Victoria Cemetery.
[source: Custer County Republican, November 8, 1900 edition]

One of Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Wimmer's twin boys that were born Friday of last week died Monday.  The bereaved parents have the sincere sympathy of their many friends.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, Dec. 20, 1900 edition-

Geo. Wirth, of Moulton, received a telegram message last Friday night saying that his daughter, Calista, who was teaching in the Moddy District, near Westerville was ill with scarlet fever.  He started at once to see her and when he arrived at Sargent he was informed that she had died at 12 oclock Saturday.  The remains were interred Monday at Almeria.
Source: The Sargent Leader, Sargent, NE, Janu. 30, 1903

At her home in cherry county Sunday July 8th.  The deceased was the oldest child of Mr. and Mrs. J.O. Jackson of Mason City.  She was married a year ago to Jess Woods near Mason.  Soon after their marriage they moved to Cherry county to build them a home.  But fate has ruled otherwise.  But a few days before her death the deceased gave birth to a child, which resulted in her death.  The deceased was a woman highly respected for her amiable manners and christioan character.  Her remains were taken to Mason City Tuesday for interment.  The Republican extends to the parents, family and husband its sincere sympathy in their great bereavement.

[source: Custer Co. Republican, July 12, 1900 edition]

Silas Thompson, of Upton, was a friendly caller Saturday.  From him we learn that he and his wife, with a man by the name of Johnson, were the parties that discovered George Zimmerer and Mr. Thomas in the water hole where they were drowned near his place last Thursday.  He says it was about six o'clock p.m. when they found the team and buggy and Thomas.  From the best information at hand, they had apparently been in the water for four hours, as they left Judge Boblits about 1 o'clock.  The recent rains had washed a hole about twelve feet deep where the road formerly crossed, and whre they drove in the banks were perpendicular.  The buggy had evidently tipped over as it went into the water, and carried the men under the water with it.  The top of the buggy was up.  Thomas was lying on one of the horses necks, with his feet on the neck yoke, his head and upper half of his body being under water.  The body of George Zimmerer was found where the buggy and horses were taken from.  Both parties had bruises on their faces, and had been bleeding, which sustains the theory that in the upsetting of the buggy they became tangled up with the horses, and were hurt so as to prevent their escape by swinning out.  Geo. Zimmerer was a son of Fred Zimmerer who formerly lived on the Loup, near where the men were drowned.  The bodies were taken to Lexington the same night they were found.
{source: Custer Co. Republican, September 13, 1900 edition}

Back to Custer County Nebraska Main Page

Copyright © Genealogy Trails  All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor