Custer County Nebraska



D.P. Brown, well known horse trainer of this city was robbed last Friday night of his pocket book containing $147, a certificate of Bank deposit of $65, a deed to a quarter section of land in California, tax receipts and other papers of value.  Mr. Brown had but recently sold a team of mules and was carrying his money with him to settle up bills he owed around town.  He went to the barn where he bunks early and went to bed.  When he got up in the morning he missed his pocketbook.  He says Ed Penn went to the barn with him and as Ed was missing next morning he is charged with getting the pocketbook.  It is thought he went east on 42 Friday night.  He was seen by Dan Keelin with a roll of bills that night.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, June 28, 1900 edition]

Senator F. M. Currie has had 44 head of cattle stolen from his Calamus ranch in Loup county.  It is believed that several were connected with the theft.
[Source: Custer Co. Republican, Custer Co. Ne., Jan. 3, 1901 edition]

Hogs Were Lifted
Owner Buys Em Back

Broken Bow, Neb., Oct. 15  When a farmer has a large number of hogs it is not always easy to recall each individual porker or to call it by name.  Hence when Martin and Forest Gallington brought two hogs to James Lee of Berwyn and told him they were for sale, Lee saw that they were of the same stock as his own herd of hogs and paid a good price for them.

It later was alleged that the Gallington brothers had lifted the animals from Lees pen.  The Gallingtons yesterday were arraigned before County Judge Holcomb on a charge of grand larceny.  Martin Gallington was bound over to the district court, while his brother, Forest, a minor, was sentenced to five years in the state reformatory.
Source: The Lincoln Star (Lincoln, NE) Wednesday, October 15, 1913

Broken Bow: Forrest Gallington, twenty-four, was before the county judge for forging a check for $12.  He waived preliminary and was bound over in the sum of $500.  Young Gallington had just been released from jail after serving a sentence on a liquor charge.
Source: Evening journal (Lincoln, NE)  Monday, July 7, 1924

Ray Heaton
of Franklin, pleaded guilty to passing a worthless check on a local firm and was given a small fine.  Unable to pay, he was lodged in the county jail, where he was stricken with appendicitis and operated upon.  He will recover.
Source: The World Herald, Omaha, NE, Aug. 23, 1922

A.A. Langford, a floater, who claims his home is in California, is lying in jail awaiting preliminary hearing on the charge of drawing checks without funds.  The checks are for small amounts.
Source: The World Herald, Omaha, Oct. 16, 1920, transcribed by F. Cooley

Fred Lazenby and Dr. Trout, of Merna, appeared before the county court Monday, on a charge of fighting and disturbing a religious meeting one night last week.  Lazenby plead guilty to the charge and was fined $5.00 and cost, total $7.75, which he paid.  Trout refused to plead guilty and his trial was set for the 24th of December.
[Source: Custer Co. Republican, Dec. 20, 1900 edition, transcribed by Melody Beery]

Leserve, Theodore-
Has Air of Mystery

Broken Bow, Neb., March 2  Theodore Leserve, who was found unconscious in the yards at Alliance Monday morning, is a son of W. A. Leserve, a well known Grand Army man of this place.  Young Leserve left here Sunday night carrying on his person, so his father states, $1,600.  He was accompanied by two companions, Roy Gallington and Frank Davis.  When found, it is said, Leserve had only $600 on him.  Up to the present time Sheriff Kennedy has been unable to locate either Gallington or Davis.
Source: The Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, NE) Wednesday, March 3, 1909

A set of double harness, nealry new, was stolen from T.J. Moore who lives 7 miles northwest of Sargent, Saturday night, the 22nd, while attending meeting at a school house a few miles away.  Mr. Moore is a well known man and is well thought of by all who know him and it is a pretty small trick in anyone to steal from a poor hard working man like Mr. Moore.
Source: Sargent New Era, April 29, 1899


Woman Gets Life Sentence, Murder
Broken Bow, Neb., May 7 - After 5 hours deliberation, a jury in district court here today found Mrs. Arvesta Northey guilty of first degree murder, and sentenced her to life imprisonment in the state penitentiary.

Mrs. Northey was convicted of complicity with Frank Brunner, in poisoning his wife, last November, so that she and Brunner might be married.  Brunner pleaded guilty when arraigned in December and is now serving a life sentence.

[source: The Oelwein Daily Register (Owelwein, IA),Thursday, May 7, 1925, submitted by: Jim Detzoll]

Would Free Northey Woman
Go To Supreme Court In Fight Against Conviction
Role In Triangle Case

Lincoln, Nebr., Feb. 1  (AP) The indictments upon which Mrs. Arvesta
Northey and Frank Bruner were convicted of the death of Bruner's wife by
poison were attacked by the woman's attorneys before the state supreme
court this afternoon.  Both are under life sentences for the crime.

The attorneys, seeking to have the high tribunal reverse the conviction
and sentence, pointed out that Mrs. Northey and Bruner were jointly
charged with murder, while the evidence of the state tended to show that
she was only an accessory to the crime.

Mrs. Northey declared defense council, was charge with murder, yet
convicted by evidence purporting to show that she was an accessory.

The defense also attacked the alleged confession made by the woman, in
which she said that she purchased tablets containing poison at
Gothenburg and gave them to Bruner to administer to his wife, declaring
that she later denied purchasing the tablets.  Bruner tried to get her
to make such a confession, it was charged.

Mrs. Bruner and Bruner were tried separately and convicted of causing
the death of the latter's wife at Sargent in November, 1924.  Intimate
relations of Bruner and Mrs. Northey were causes which the state sough
to establish for the slaying of Mona Bruner.

[source: Beatrice Daily Sun (Beatrice, NE) Tuesday, February 2, 1926, submitted by Jim Detzoll]


When Ed Penn was arrested here a few months ago on the charge of forgery, by the sheriff of Scotts Bluff county and taken to Gering, he made the remark that he would "be back in  a short time" but nearly everyone thought that this time he was destined to go to the penitentiary.  In the district court held at Gering last week his case was called and on motion of defendent was dismissed, there being a flaw of some kind in the information.  Ed hasn't yet shown up in Broken Bow, but he writes his friends that he will be back soon.
[source: Custer County Republican, May 3, 1900 edition]

Is Lodged In Jail At Broken Bow
Special Dispatch to the World Herald.

Broken Bow, Nebraska, June 26. -- F. M. Riding, who is alleged, wrecked
the Farmers State Bank of Halsey,
who was tried and convicted at Thedford and sentenced to ten years in
the penitentiary by Judge Paine, was
placed in the Custer County Jail for a short time.

He has secured bail.

[source: The World Herald, Omaha, Monday, June 27, 1921
submitted by: Frances Cooley]


Attempted Hold Up

Last Saturday night between 8 and 9 oclock as Raid Skinner was on his way home from the city, he discovered a man on the "Hog Back", two and a half miles north east of town with a mask on.  As the man passed over the hill about 100 yards ahead of him, he could plainly see he was masked, Skinner tied his team and took after the fellow telling him that he would unmask him unless he proved a better man than he was was.  Evidently the would be hold up was not expecting that kind of a reception and he got away from there as fast as his legs would carry him, going north over the hills and then west.  He was so completely disguised, Mr. Skinner is not certain who he was, but as the moon was shining he got a good view of the fellow and he thinks he knows who it was.  This is the third time that parties have been held up near there and it is thought that it was the same party in each case.  It will be well for parties who pass that way frequently after night to carry in their wagon a shotgun in order to give him a good dose of shot in the legs.
[Source:November 8, 1900, Custer County Republican,transcribed by, Melody Beery]

E. Williams-
Marshall Towsley arrested a man by the name of E. Williams for selling liquor.  It is reported that he has been in the business for several weeks.  It is claimed his mode of operation is to get a few fellows to order a quart each, making a gallon.  We understand the marshall found not only a supply of liquid goods in his possession, but one customer was present at the time the arrest was made, who protested to the marshal taking all of the goods' as he had bought part of it.
[Source: Custer Co. Republican, Feb. 28,1901].

Back to Index

Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor