Proprietor of a meat market, and farmer. Established the business in February, 1879, being the first market begun in the village, and now the only one in operation. He located on his present place, Section 9, Town 17, range 6 east, containing 120 acres, in 1873, erecting his house in that year. He has since followed farming and stock-raising. Was born in Jacksonville, Morgan Co.,
Ill., November 13, 1844, and was raised on a farm which business he followed until he went to Nebraska. He was married in Macon County, Ill., December 11, 1867, to Miss Sarah Fertig, a native of Dauphin County, Penn. They have five children--Frederick, Bertha, William, Edward and Martha Ann. Mr. Acorn enlisted in the spring of 1862, in Company A, Sixty-eighth, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in the three months' service; was mustered out at Springfield, Ill., September 27, 1862.
Matthew S. Cotterell
Is a son of M. S. Cotterell, who was born in Hopkintown City, R. I., June 24, 1801. His wife,Silvey Hoopper, was born in Connecticut, August 8, 1799. Their son, Matthew S. Cotterell, was born in Livingston County, N. Y., May 15, 1821. At the age of seven, he commenced work in a cotton factory at New Hartford, Oneida Co., N. Y. When fourteen years old, he served an apprenticeship
to ship-carpentering and joinery in Cleveland, Ohio. He also represented the Fifth Ward in the City Council of the same city in 1854. At the age of twenty-one, he carried on successfully ship and house building in the above city up to 1857. In March 4, 1845, he was married in Cleveland, Ohio, to a very estimable lady, Miss Catherine McNaughton, who was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, May 15, 1821. Mrs. C. speaks the Pawnee language fluently, and has extended many kindly acts to this tribe. Mr. C. emigrated
to Nebraska, July, 1857, in company with Alexander Morrisson, James Humfries and J. M. Smith, and settled on the present town site of North Bend. They erected a steam saw-mill and ran it about one year, and then it was destroyed by a prairie fire. Mr. C. built the first frame house in the Platte Valley in 1857. Also he pe-empted land of the United States Government where North Bend is now located. Subsequent to the loss of the mill, he assumed another branch of business, stock ranching, etc., which he continued
little beyond the time of the entrance of the Union Pacific Railroad, which was June, 1867. He remained in North Bend until October, 1870, when he moved to his present fine home on Section 10, Township 17, Range 6 east. He now owns 640 acres of fine grazing and farm land. He erected his present large, commodious residence in the summer of 1870. In the early settlement of that part of Nebraska, Mr. C. took a prominent part, and was noted for his fortitude, bravery and endurance in contending with the early pioneer
hardships of Nebraska. Also he aided to organize a military company in Dodge County, Neb., for home protection in the time of the rebellion, and was elected Captain of the same. He represented Dodge County in the Territorial Legislature of Nebraska in 1860. Mr. C. has done much to induce immigration into Nebraska, and both he and his wife are widely known and highly appreciated for their unbounded benevolence and amiable qualities.
Dealer in general line of household furniture, also undertakers' goods, to the amount of $5,000 to
supply his trade. He first located in North Bend Precinct on a farm in 1871, with his uncle, since which he has
visited many portions of Wyoming and Colorado, and was engaged in railroading, lumbering, etc., until the fall
of 1876, when he returned to North Bend and took charge of the toll bridge crossing the Platte River, where he
remained two and one half years. Born in Prince Edward Island March 17, 1856. Was married in North Bend November
27, 1879, to Miss Jennie Volkman, a native of Omaha, Neb. They have a son--William. Is a member of the North Bend
Dealer in lumber, agricultural implements, etc. Begun business in October, 1879; coming to North
Bend in April of 1869, first engaged in various occupations about four years, then went West in the employ of the
Union Pacific Railroad Company, as overseer of a grade three years. He then returned to North Bend and engaged
in the stock and grain business under the firm name of C. Cusack & Co., two years, when Mr. C. sold to the
partner and immediately engaged in his present business. He was born in Halton, Ontario, Can., May 15, 1849, and
was raised on a farm. Was married in North Bend, November, 1877, to Miss Eliza J. Scott, a native of Philadelphia,
Penn. They have one son--John Scott. Mr. Cusack is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & A. M. Has been
a member of the Town Board three years.
Farmer, Section 34, P. O. North Bend, was born in Newark, N. J., October 11, 1835. He is the son
of David and Jane Dickerson. His parents moved to Delaware, Maryland, and Chester County, Penn., living there nine
years. They next moved to Mt. Carroll, Ill., where they resided until 1860. They then moved to Nebraska, locating
in Dodge County. He then married, July 29, 1867, Miss Lucinda Dickerson, daughter of Charles and Clarissa Dickerson.
They have four children--Fred, Lizzie, Mary, John. During the first few years of his residence in Dodge County,
he was engaged in freighting across the plains to Denver. The rest of the time he has been engaged in farming.
He has eighty acres, forty acres in cultivation, the rest grass land. Is now operating his father's farm in addition
to his own land.
Farmer, Section 10, P. O. North Bend, was born in Lancaster County, Penn., August 5, 1845.
He came to Nebraska with his parents in 1860. For several years after coming to the State, he freighted to Denver
and other points on the plains. He married, September 12, 1872, Mrs. Jane Stocking, widow of Samuel Stocking. They
have four children--Edith and Lucy Stocking and David and Annie Dickerson. Mr. D. has a good farm of one hundred
and forty acres, twenty acres in cultivation, the rest grass and timber land.
Dealer in general line of family groceries, queensware, notions, etc. Began the business in North
Bend in September, 1881. Buys on an average $10,000 worth of goods annually. He first located in Fremont in 1872,
and clerked in stores up to 1877. He then engaged in clerking in North Bend one and one-half years, after which
he engaged in business for a share of profits with Mr. C. B. Tredwell, until he began business on his own account.
He was born in Moravia, Austria, October 15, 1846; came to America in the spring of 1860 with his parents. Was
married in Onawa, Iowa, October 15, 1873, to Miss Amelia F. Goodrich. She was born in Wisconsin. They have three
children--Harry W., Alonzo A. and Ethel M. Mr. D. is at present a member of the Town Board. Was also a member of
the I. O. O. F. of Boscobel, Wis.
Firm of Dowling & Purcell, grain and stock buyers. Mr. D. first came to Nebraska in the employ
of the Union Pacific Railroad Company in 1867, remained in their employ three years, but had an interest in the
grocery business in company with T. B. Purcell from the same date. In 1870, he went out of the employ of the above
railroad company, and since has devoted his time to his business in North Bend. He was born in Coxsackie, Greene
Co., N. Y., August 27, 1846. Was brought up on a farm. He followed steamboating between New York City and South
Amboy some time. He then went to Cairo, Ill., and clerked in a restaurant about seven months. He then went into
the employ of a Government wrecking boat going to Brownsville, Minn., a short time. He then went to Chicago, Ill.,
and engaged in the employ of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad two months, after which he turned his thoughts
to the West, and thither went as before narrated. He was married in Omaha, Neb., December 31, 1871, to Miss Mary
Purcell, a native of Greene County, N. Y. They have three children--May, Harry and an infant son. Mr. D. is a member
of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, F. & A. M., also of Signet Chapter, No. 8, and the Commandery, Mt. Tabor Lodge, No.
9, of Fremont.
A. B. Elwood, M.D.
Physician and surgeon, and dealer in a general line of drugs. The Doctor first settled in
Oakdale, Antelope Co., Neb., in April, 1871, and practiced his profession about six years. Went to Waterloo, Neb.,
in October, 1877, and followed his profession until June, 1879, when he moved to North Bend and began the drug
business and the practice of his profession, and is now doing a business of about $12,000 per year. He was born
in New Lexington, Highland County, Ohio, August 15, 1845. Began reading medicine at the age of fifteen years with
his father (Cyrus Elwood), who was a graduate of Rush Medical College of Columbus, Ohio. The Doctor entered the
Eclectic College of Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1869, and graduated the following spring, after which he emigrated to
Red Oak, Iowa. He there held the position of Deputy Recorder of Montgomery County a year, after which he located
in Oakdale. He was married in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in 1869, to Miss Mary E. Harris, a native of South Bend, Ind.,
born April 29, 1846. They have a daughter--Laura A. He enlisted August, 1864, in Company D, One hundred and Seventy-fifth
Regiment Ohio Infantry, and participated in the battle of Franklin, Tenn., in November, 1864, and was there wounded
in the forehead. Was mustered out in Camp Denison, Ohio, in August, 1865. He originated the North Bend Bulletin
in the fall of 1878, and edited the same eight months, and sold out.
Dealer in lumber, lime and agricultural implements, began the business in 1876, and does a yearly
business of from $20,000 to $30,000 in lumber and implements. He emigrated from Warren County, N. Y., to Colfax
County, Neb., with a very limited capital, in May, 1870, and now, as will be seen, is one of the thrifty business
men of the village. He first settled in Colfax County, in Town 19, Range 4, Maple Creek Precinct, and farmed some
time, after which he moved to Schuyler and worked about a year in a lumber yard, then came to his present place
of business in January, 1876, and began business in the latter part of July of that year. He was born in Washington
County, N. Y., January 7, 1833, and was raised on a farm, and followed lumbering during the winters of his latter
life in his native State. Was married in North Bend, July 3, 1877, to Miss D. W. Sexton, a native of Warren County,
N. Y. They have two children--George E. and Jessie G. Mr. F. enlisted September 29, 1862, in Company F, One hundred
and Sixty-ninth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry, and participated in twenty-seven general engagements, being
wounded twice. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and soon afterward to First Lieutenant for meritorious conduct
during battles. He has three regular discharges from the Union army. Was mustered out at Raleigh, N. C., August
6, 1865. He never had or asked for a furlough during his eventful army life. He is a member of Fremont Lodge, I.
O. O. F. He is also a member of the Lumberman's Association of Chicago, Ill.
Firm of Gillis & Purcell, dealers in general merchandise. He located in North Bend in 1869, and
engaged as a foreman of a railroad section for the Union Pacific Railroad up to 1879, but was previously interested
as a partner in the above firm. He was born in Nova Scotia June 15, 1848. Was engaged in mining in the latter country
about eight years previous to going to Nebraska. Was married in North Bend, Neb., in 1874, to Miss Maggie Harvey,
a native of Scotland. They have one son--John P. Mr. G. is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 15, A., F. & A. M.
Was one of the first members of the Town Board.
Farmer and stock raiser. He first came to Nebraska in October, 1857, and located in Platte Valley,
four and a half miles west of North Bend on a pre-emption claim on what was then called a paper town site, where
he engaged in farming and blacksmithing, and has worked at the latter more or less since until within a few years.
He lived on his first location until the fall of 1858, when he moved three-quarters of a mile east, and engaged
in the same business. Bought some land and lived there until the fall of 1867, similarly employed. They then moved
on a pre-emption claim four miles northeast of North Bend and lived until the winter of 1875, when they bought
their present fine farm located on Section 10, Town 17, Range 6, east, consisting of 160 acres. He also owns 160
acres on Section 22, Township 18, Range 6 east. Since moving to his present place he has raised stock and grain.
He was born in Ireland, May 2, 1829. Came to America in 1830, with his parents. Was married in Pittsburgh, Penn.,
November 24, 1852, to Miss Elizabeth Wright, who was born July, 1836. They have six children--Nellie J. (now teaching
in Colfax County), Maggie A., Ida M., Wilson N., Joseph T., and Albert J. Mr. Graham has been County Commissioner
Section 11, P. O. North Bend, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, August 15, 1834, living there
until 1855, when he came West stopping in Iowa one year. He came to Nebraska in 1856, locating at his present residence
in August. He married in Dodge County, Neb., March 6, 1860, Miss Delilah Stewart, who was born in Illinois. They
have five children--Francis Andrew, Sarah Jane, Jessie, Ann and Ada. He and his family are members of the United
Presbyterian Church. During the first few years of residence in Dodge County, he was Postmaster at the old post
office at Emerson. In politics, he is a Republican. Mr. G. has a large farm consisting of 500 acres, 300 acres
in cultivation, a portion of which is in tame grass, 150 acres in pasture under fence, and the rest hay land. His
farm is well improved, good house, barn, etc. He deals in and raises large numbers of live stock, carrying 100
head of cattle, about the same number of hogs and some horses.
History of the State of Nebraska
Chicago: The Western Historical Company, A. T. Andreas, Proprietor; 1882.
Submitted by: Foxie Hagerty
Mrs. Mary Antoinette Hitchcock
born in the town of Rodman, Jefferson county, N. Y., 28th April, 1834.
She is the only daughter of Lorenzo Dow and Urrilla Barnes. When she
was eleven years old, her parents moved to Wisconsin, then a new
country with poor educational facilities in that part of the State where
they settled. Much of her instruction was received at home, under the
care of a governess. At sixteen years of age she began to teach, and
her efforts were attended with success.
In 1852 she became the wife
of Alfred Hitchcock, but for some time after continued to teach.
1857 her husband was ordained to the ministry and became not only an
earnest teacher of the gospel, but a fearless advocate of temperance
When the Civil War cloud hung over the country, they were
living in Kansas, having moved to that State in 1859. Being imbued by
nature and training with the most ultra Union and anti-slavery
sentiments, she was all enthusiasm for the cause and the soldier, ready
to lend her aid in every possible way. At that time many of the
leaders passed through their town to Osawatomie to form the Republican
Party, and she housed and fed fifty of them in one night, among them
Horace Greeley, and spent the hours of the night in preparing their
food for the next day.
As first assistant and county superintendent of
schools she and her husband divided Phillips county, Kans., into
school districts and started a number of schools. Afterwards removing to
Fremont, Neb., where her husband accepted a pastorate, she became an
enthusiastic member of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, and,
impressed with the idea that a State organization was necessary for its
lasting influence, she was in 1874 the projector of the movement that
resulted in the State organization. She refused the presidency at that
time, on account of her husband's health. The next few years, deprived
by death of husband and father, she entered still more actively into
the work and became district president and vice-president-at-large of
Called to Sioux City, Iowa, on account of the death of
her cousin, George C. Haddock, the circumstances of whose untimely end
caused general indignation and horror, she there, over his lifeless
form, promised the sorrow-stricken wife to devote the remainder of her
life to the eradication of the terrible alcohol evil.
the State presidency in 1888 she has traveled continually over the
State, organizing unions and attending conventions. Though not calling
herself a lecturer, she has delivered many earnest talks. She has one
son and one daughter. Her home is in Fremont, Neb.
Source: American Women, by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol 1, 1897. Transcribed by: