Our military history has never
been great, but as there was pressing need in early days of protection for life
and property from attacks by the Indians, the territory was divided into the
North and South Platte brigade departments, under command of General Thayer,
and each neighborhood organized companies to protect its citizens.
A military post was established
at Old Port Kearny in 1846, where Nebraska City now stands, but a few months
later its small garrison was sent to Mexico.
Five companies wintered
there—1847-48—on their way to establish New Fort Kearney, near the present city
Fort Sidney was established in 1867
Omaha Barracks, 1868, known as
Fort Omaha from 1878
Fort Robinson in 1874
General Crook was first appointed commander of
the Platte in 1875. During this command Fort Niobrara was established in 1880.
Fort McPherson guarded well our
frontier, and many interesting tales might be told of the soldiers' conflicts
with the Indians. It was abandoned, but later converted into a national cemetery,
where many of those who served as soldiers in the Civil and Indian wars now
The first regiment Nebraska
Volunteers and the second regiment Nebraska Cavalry, were highly praised for
brave conduct during the Civil War and for their defense of the territory
Many troops have been stationed
at Fort Crook, six miles south of Omaha, and today a state militia is
One of the great battleships
bears the name of the state and was presented with a stand of colors by the
Daughters of the American Revolution.
Once Upon A Time In Nebraska
Second Edition, Omaha, March, 1916