Robert D. Boice, a citizen of prominence in business, social and
religious relations at Geneseo, has been a dealer in hardware at that place
since 1858, He was born Aug. 14, 1830, in the city of
parents, Eben and Nancy (De France) Boice, were natives of Penn Manor, Franklin Co., Pa. The father was a descendant from a family of Scotch-Irish
extraction, and the
ancestry of the mother was of French origin.
Mr. Boice was approaching manhood when, in 1848, his father made a transfer
of his family
and business relations to Ashland, in the county of the same name
He there was first
engaged in the hardware trade, and there acquired a
familiarity with its details, and prosecuted his
interests until, in 1858,
he removed to Henry County, where he arrived Jan. 25, of the year named.
The issues which resulted in the formation of the Republican party were
being agitated at the time
Mr. Boice arrived at the dignities of
citizenship, and he cast his first Presidential vote for John C. Fremont.
Since that time he has been an adherent of the "grand old party" without
shadow of change in principle or acts.
He has discharged the duties of several
minor official positions at Geneseo. He is engaged in the prosecution of
extensive farming interests in Gage Co., Neb., and is in connection with a
banking enterprise at Costland, in the same county.
He formed a matrimonial aliance with Lydia E. Smith, at Geneseo, Jan. 29,
1854, and they have
one child - Ollie S.
Mrs. Boice is the daughter of John and
Rachel Smith and is a native of Ashland, Ohio.
With her husband, she is a member
of the Congregational Church.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of
Henry County, Illinois,
Originally published 1885, Biographical Pub. Co.,
Transcribed by: Denise McLoughlin
Daniel Freeman, M. D. and farmer, Blakeley Precinct, was born in Ohio in
1826. At the age of six months, his parents moved to New York, and located in
Genesee County, remaining there until 1835, when they settled in Knox County,
In 1847, Mr. Freeman began the study of medicine at Peoria, Ill., remaining
there eighteen months, when he entered the Eclectic Institute at Cincinnati and
graduated in 1849, locating in Ottawa, Ill., and commenced the practice of
medicine, remaining there until 1861, when he enlisted in the Seventeenth
Illinois Volunteer Infantry as a private.
Soon after, he was transferred to the
secret service, remaining until the close of the war.
In 1862, he came to
Nebraska in the employ of the Government, and while in the State located on
Section 26, Town 4, Range 5, and put up a house and moved his family there
January 1, 1863.
He took out the first homestead papers
issued by the Government, having homestead papers No. 1, and has lived on the
place ever since.
He has added to the farm until he has 840 acres, situated on
Cub Creek, on Sections 23, 26 and 34.
He has been County Commissioner two terms,
County Sheriff one term, and Justice of the Peace in his precinct several terms.
He was married in February, 1865, to Miss E. A. Suiter. They have five
children-- Eliza J., Samuel, James H., John and Frank.
Previous to this, he was
married in 1853 to Elizabeth Walber, of Ottawa, Ill. They had three
children--Charles, Gerald and Lourella.
Samuel C. Smith, Cashier of the First National Bank of Beatrice, is a native
of Ridgefield, Conn.
He came to Nebraska in August, 1872, and, in September of
that year, he and his brother,
J. E., commenced the banking business here under
the firm name of Smith Bros.
In April, 1877, the First National Bank was
chartered and commenced business. John E. Smith, President, and Samuel C. Smith,
Cashier, which positions they have since held.
In April, 1880, Smith Bros.
organized the Blue Springs Bank, which they operated until January 1, 1882, when
it was bought by J. C. Williams, their former Cashier.
Samuel C. Smith now
resides at Red Cloud, Neb., where he conducts the business of Smith Bros.,
Hon. J. A. Smith, Police Judge and attorney, came to Nebraska in 1879.
Prior to that he resided at Iowa City.
He is an attorney at law; was born near
Geneva, Ill., November 22, 1844, and lived there and in Chicago until moving to
Iowa; enlisted in the First Missouri Cavalry at St. Louis, September, 1861, and
was wounded at Sugar Creek, Ark., February 19, 1862, and discharged September
22, 1862. He lost his right arm and one finger of the left hand.
He returned to
Iowa City and read law with Gov. Kirkwood.
He was married in Iowa City, November
23, 1868, to Calista Sanders, a native of Iowa City.
They have one
child--Herbert H. Mr. Smith is a member of the G. A. R.
Christ J. Meints, whose well improved homestead farm is situated in
Section 26, Hanover township, has by his own ability and energy
achieved large success in connection with farm enterprise in this
county and, now venerable in years, he is living virtually retired
from the arduous labors which so long marked his career.
Mr Meints was born in East Friesland, province of Hanover, Germany, on
the 28th of December, 1834, and there he was reared and educated. In
the same province was solemnized his marriage to Miss Rika Dorn, and
they came to America in 1865, arriving at Golden, Illinois, two weeks
prior to the assassination of President Lincoln.
In his native land Mr.
Meints had learned the carpenter's trade and this he followed after
establishing his home in Illinois, besides which he did expert service
in brick-laying and plastering in that state until 1883, when he came
to Gage County, Nebraska, which state he had previously visited, this
action having been prompted by a request made to him by former
residents of Illinois who wished him to do some building work for
them. He finally became so favorably impressed that he decided to
establish his home in the county -- an action that he has never
regretted. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of unimproved land
in Section 26, Hanover township, where he has since maintained his
home, and his ability as a carpenter is shown in the substantial and
attractive type of the buildings which he has erected on his home
farm. He brought to bear marked energy and business sagacity in his
activities as a farmer and eventually accumulated a valuable estate of
five hundred and sixty acres, a considerable portion of which he
retains, the remainder having been sold to his sons.
His devoted wife
passed to eternal rest in 1907, a devout member of the Lutheran
church, as is he also.
Of their children, the eldest is Henry, a
prosperous farmer in Logan township; Maggie is the wife of Broer
Gronewold, of Dawson county; John was a resident of Holt township at
the time of his death; Bruno is a successful farmer in Logan township;
Christina is the wife of Ben Aden, of Dawson county; Heye is a
substantial farmer in Holt township; Addie is the wife of Louis
Stevens, of Hanover township.
Though he has passed the age of four score years Mr. Meints is hale and
active and continues to find occasion for practical service about his
farm, as may be inferred when it is noted that recently he used a
trowel actively and effectively in the construction of a cement floor
in one of the buildings on his farm.
His son-in-law, Louis Stevens,
has the active management of the farm and is more specifically
mentioned in appending paragraphs.
Louis Stevens was born in the province of Hanover, Germany, January
29, 1878, and has been a resident of Gage County since 1895. In 1901
was solemnized his marriage to Miss Addie Meints, and they have seven
children -- Grace, Mabel, Christ, Elmer, John, Henry, and Emma.
Mr Stevens is a progressive exponent of farm enterprise, is a
Republican in politics and he and his wife are active communicants of
the Lutheran church.
History of Gage County, Nebraska (Hugh J. Dobbs, 1918)
by: Amy Robbins-Tjaden
Harm M. DeBuhr -- From East Friesland, a picturesque district in the
extreme northwestern angle of the province of Hanover, Germany, have
come an appreciable number of well known and
representative citizens of Gage County, both in the present and earlier generations.
district of Germany Harm M. DeBuhr was born June 12, 1865, and he was
ten years of age at the time of the family immigration to America. The
generous measure of his achievement is
demonstrated in his ownership
of a fine landed estate of four hundred and twenty acres in Gage
County, and his attractive homestead farm is situated in Section 22,
Hanover township. He is a son of Menne J. and Jennie (Harms) DeBuhr,
both natives of Germany, where the latter passed her entire life.
Menne DeBuhr was born December 30, 1822, and was a resident of the
state of Illinois at the time of his death, in 1887. After the death
of his wife he continued to be identified with business enterprise in
East Friesland until 1875, when he came with his children to the
United States and established a home in Champaigne County, Illinois,
in which state he passed the remainder of his life, he having been a
maker by trade.
Of the five children three are living, the
subject of this sketch being the youngest; Rixty is the wife of George
E. Zimmerman, of Hanover township, who is individually mentioned on
other pages; and Antye is the wife of Martin Hendricks, a farmer in
Illinois. The parents were lifelong members of the Lutheran church.
Harm M. DeBuhr gained his rudimentary education in his native land and
was ten years old when he accompanied his father to America, his
educational training having been completed in the public schools of
Illinois. In that state he continued his association with farm
enterprise until 1885, when he came to Nebraska and established his
home in Gage County. Here he farmed on rented land for nine years, and
he then purchased eighty acres in Hanover township, after having
accumulated sufficient money to partially pay for the same. Later he
sold this property and purchased his present homestead place, which
then comprised one hundred and sixty acres and to which he has
gradually added until he now owns a valuable farm estate of four
hundred and twenty acres in Hanover township. Mr DeBuhr has erected
good farm buildings on his homestead, the small house that was on the
place when he purchased the property having been supplanted by a
commodious and attractive modern residence, and scrupulous care having
been given to keeping the farm property up to the best standards
throughout. While thus furthering through well directed industry and
enterprise his personal advancement, Mr DeBuhr has at all times been
mindful of his civic responsibilities and has given his cooperation in
the furtherance of those things that have tended to conserve the
general well being and progress of the community.
He is independent in
politics, is now serving as a member of the school board of his
district, has been road overseer in his precinct and his high place in
popular confidence and esteem is indicated by his being the incumbent,
in 1917-1918, of the office of township treasurer. He is a vigorous
and successful exponent of agricultural and live-stock industry and is
essentially one of the representative citizens of Hanover township. He
and his wife are zealous communicants of the Lutheran church.
In 1889 Mr DeBuhr wedded Miss Minnie Ehman, whose father, the late
William Ehman, was numbered among the honored pioneers of Gage County,
adequate data concerning the family being given on other pages, in the
record concerning Henry W. Ehman, a brother of Mrs DeBuhr. In the
concluding paragraph of this article is given brief record concerning
the children of Mr and Mrs DeBuhr:
Menne, who is a prosperous farmer in Hanover township, married Miss
Katie Walken, and they have two children, Harm and Trinty; William, a
representative farmer of the younger generation in Hanover township,
wedded Johannah Zimmerman; John is a farmer in Hanover township and
the maiden name of his wife was Bena Huls; Henry, Amka, Jergen,
Bernhard, Trinty, and Martin remain at the parental home.
History of Gage County, Nebraska (Hugh J. Dobbs, 1918
by: Amy Robbins-Tjaden
John J. Gronewold has gained through his insistent energy and ability
a secure vantage-ground as one of the substantial exponents of farm
enterprise in Hanover township, where he is the owner of a well
improved farm property of two hundred acres, his attractive homestead
being situated in Section 31.
Mr Gronewold was born in East Friesland,
Germany, on the 9th of October, 1873, a son of John and Anna
(Heinrichs) Gronewold, the father having been born in 1847 and his
death having occurred in 1891, his entire life having been passed in
his native land, where his widow still resides, she having been born
Of their six children four are living: Soaka remains in
Germany; John J., of this review, is the next younger; William is
engaged in farming in Gage county; and Galscha remains at the old home
in Germany. The other two children, Dick and Weaka, sacrificed their
lives in the great European war of the present day.
faith of the family is that of the Lutheran church and the father gave
his entire active career to farm industry, in which his success was
unequivocal, his old homestead farm in East Friesland comprising
John J. Gronewold gained his youthful education in the excellent
schools of his native province and was but sixteen years old when, in
1889, he came to the United States and established his residence in
Here for ten years thereafter he was employed as a farm
hand, and though he never received large wages he carefully saved his
earnings, as he was ambitious to establish himself independently as a
farmer. After his marriage he continued in the employ of others until
1900, when his financial resources had become such as to enable him to
make partial payment on a farm of eighty acres, in Hanover township.
With characteristic energy he gave himself to the improving and
general operations of the farm, which he eventually sold
advantageously, and he has not only become and independent and
successful agriculturalist and stock-grower of the county but has also
accumulated a fine landed estate of two hundred acres. He keeps the
farm in the best of condition throughout, has erected good buildings
to supplement those already on the property, and he orders with much
circumspection and attendant success all branches of his farm
enterprise, which includes diversified agriculture and the raising of
cattle, swine and chickens of the best type. He gives special
attention also to the raising of beans and has made this enterprise
notable successful. A hard worker and a man of good judgment, he has
achieved prosperity through his own endeavors and is one of the highly
esteemed citizens of Hanover township.
In politics he is independent
of strict partisan lines, he has served as road overseer and as a
member of the school board, and he and his wife are active
communicants of the German Lutheran church.
In 1897 Mr Gronewold wedded Miss Anna Gerdes, who was born in Germany,
where her parents, John and Freda Gerdes, passed their entire lives.
Mrs Gronewold was fourteen years of age when she came to the United
States in company with one uncle and her sister Tena. Mr. and Mrs.
Gronewold have four children, all of whom remain at the parental home:
Anna, Jennie, John and Freda.
History of Gage County, Nebraska (Hugh J. Dobbs, 1918)
by: Amy Robbins-Tjaden
Each successive stage of a life that has been worthily lived bears its full measure of compensation, and the man who has
passed life's meridian, who has stored up the lessons of rich and varied
experience, and who has wrought wisely, justly, and effectively, must find each
successive year thereafter radiant in personal contentment and gracious in
memories. Such a sane, direct, and productive life has been that of Arnott
Duncan McCandless, who is one of the representative members of the bar of Gage
county and whose buoyant optimism has enabled him to get the best out of life in
its varied relations. He is a writer of exceptional talent and another
dominating attribute of his makeup is his love for the vital sports field and
afloat, in which domain of recreation he has gained distinct prestige. He is
engaged in the practice of his profession in the city of Wymore and his status
as a citizen, a lawyer, and as a genial and popular man makes it specially
pleasing to accord him recognition in this history.
Mr. McCandless is of staunch Scotch ancestry on both the
paternal and maternal sides, as the respective names fully indicate. He was born
on a farm six miles east of Macomb, McDonough county, Illinois, on the 27th of
August, 1849, and is a son of William Wallace McCandless and Sarah (Duncan)
McCandless, both natives of Pennsylvania.
A literal and fully substantiated fact pertinent to the McCandless
family is singularly in consonance with a statement all too tritely made
concerning the founding of other families in America. That is, the original
progenitors of the McCandless family in this country were the proverbial three
brothers, but it has been clearly established that one of the number established
a home in Pennsylvania, that another located in the south and that the third
became a seafaring man. From the one who settled in the old Keystone state the
subject of this review is descended.
Arnott D. McCandless was five years old when his parents removed
from McDonough county, Illinois, and settled on a farm one- half mile southwest
of Aledo, Mercer county, and he was a lad of about thirteen years when his loyal
and patriotic father went forth to battle for the nation's integrity as a
soldier of the Union in the Civil war. On the 14th of August, 1862, William W.
McCandless enlisted as a private in Company H, Eighty- fourth Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, and with his command he set forth from Quincy, Illinois, marched
across Kentucky and on to Nashville, Tennessee, the soldiers of his regiment
sleeping at night under the open sky, as they were not provided with tents. Mr.
McCandless was destined soon to sacrifice his life in the righteous cause, for
he was killed at the battle of Stone River, on the 31st of December, 1862,
little more than four months after he had enlisted. He had become the father of
six children, and his widow and two of her married daughters eventually came to
Nebraska and settled in Box Butte county. While visiting at the home of her son
Arnott D., of this review, at Wymore, the widowed mother was summoned to eternal
rest, her death having occurred in 1910, at which time she was eighty-eight
years of age. Arnott Duncan McCandless attended the district schools in Mercer
county, Illinois, and thereafter attended for two years a Presbyterian select
school in that state. He was at this time about eleven years old and thereafter
he attended school only three months until after he had attained to his legal
majority. The death of his father compelled him to assume heavy responsibilities
when he was but a boy, and through his application to farm work he aided in the
support of his mother and the other members of the family. His insistent
determination to broaden his education led him to take his Latin grammar into
the field with him, in order that he might apply himself to study during his all
too few leisure moments. In the meanwhile his advancement had been such that he
proved himself a successful teacher during four months of pedagogic service in
the district schools of his native state.
Soon after reaching his legal majority Mr. McCandless entered
the law office of Isaac N. Bassett, a leading lawyer at Aledo, Illinois, and, at
a stipend of sixteen dollars and seventy-five cents a month, he here took charge
of a set of abstract books, the while he vigorously applied himself to the study
of law. In 1874 he had so effectively absorbed and assimilated simulated the
science of jurisprudence that he was admitted to the Illinois bar, at a session
of the supreme court of the state held at Ottawa. In 1875 Mr. McCandless went to
the new town of Creston, Iowa, and became one of its pioneer lawyers. There he
built up a substantial practice and there he continued his professional
activities until 1882, when he again evidenced his predilection for being in at
the start of things in a new town, as he cast in his fortunes with the village
of Wymore, Gage county, Nebraska, a place that had been founded about one year
previously. A man of vigorous thought and action, he proved a staunch force in
furthering civic and material development and progress at Wymore, and he has
continued as one of the valued and public- spirited citizens of this thriving
little city, even as he has been recognized as one of the able and
representative members of the bar of the county. For fifteen years after their
marriage Mr. McCandless and his wife kept their textbooks constantly at hand in
their home and devoted themselves earnestly to study and reading, vying with
each other in enthusiasm for advancement along educational lines.
In 1873 Mr. McCandless wedded Miss Gertrude Cabeen, who was born
at Keithsburg, Illinois, a daughter of Richard C. Cabeen, an early settler and
influential citizen of Mercer county, that state. Mr. and Mrs. McCandless have
no children, but their devoted companionship during the long years has been of
ideal order — intensified, as it were, by their having had no child to divide
even measurably their interests.
In politics, as in other matters of vital importance, Mr.
McCandless thinks and acts for himself, and he has not been constrained by
strict partisan dictates. In his home village he is affiliated with Wymore
Lodge, No. 104, Ancient Free & Accepted Masons ; Hiram Chapter, No. 28,
Royal Arch Masons ; and Cypress Council, No. 22, Royal and Select Masters.
For many years prior to the death of his loved mother Mr.
McCandless made regular visits to her and his two sisters, in Box Butte county,
and incidentally he made interesting hunting expeditions in Cherry county. As he
says, he "loves to sleep out on the sand hills, with only a blanket for
protection, to breathe the air no one else ever breathed, and to determine the
time of the night by observing the position of the Great Dipper." Along literary
lines Mr. McCandless has gained no little repute by reason of the specially
original and interesting articles which he has contributed to the periodical
known as "Forest and Stream," his articles having been entitled "Days in Cherry
County" and "Boyhood Days in Illinois." These articles have attracted wide
attention on the part of devotees of outdoor sport, and Mr. McCandless has not
only received letters of marked appreciation from the editor of "Forest and
Stream," but they have led also to his being called upon to act as escort to
wealthy and influential sportsmen in expeditions in western Nebraska. Among such
millionaire sportsmen with whom Mr. McCandless has been thus pleasantly
associated may be mentioned Mr. Wilbur, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Mr.
Liles, of Aurora, Missouri. Mr. McCandless is an expert shot and has made
splendid record at the traps, in which connection he has come in close
competition with Thomas Marshall, of Keithsburg, Illinois, the two having become
acquainted when they were boys.
Even this brief article indicates the broad mental grasp of Mr.
McCandless and shows that while he has concentrated and won success in his
profession he has had appreciation of other things that go to make up the full
and complete life, and that he has made the passing years count not only in
achievement but also in giving the benefices of happiness and contentment.
History of Gage County, Nebraska By Hugh
and Contributed by: Barbara
In the career of the late John Strough, who was a resident of Gage county for more than a score of years, success and honor were
inseparable, and he made his life count for good in its every relation. His
sudden death, as the result of heart disease, occurred at his home in the city
of Beatrice, November 23, 1917, he having been stricken while engaged in his
customary evening work about the home, at 1423 High street.
Mr. Strough was born in Henry county, Indiana, on the 28th of
January, 1844, and was a son of John and Sarah (Miller) Strough, who reared to
years of maturity a family of eleven children. John Strough, Sr., was born in
Pennsylvania, in the year 1808, and in the earlier part of his career he
followed the trade of tailor.
As a young man he went to the historic old state of Virginia, and later he numbered
himself among -the pioneers of Henry county, Indiana, where he became a
prosperous farmer and where his death occurred on the 20th of May, 1863. His
wife was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, in which state she was reared and
educated, and there their marriage was solemnized, her father, George Miller,
having been a native of Pennsylvania: she was born about the year 1835 and
passed to eternal rest about 1887, her first three children having been born in
Virginia, prior to the family removal to Indiana, where she continued to reside
until her death.
The subject of this memoir was reared on the old homestead farm
in Indiana and acquired his early education in the pioneer schools of Henry
county, that state. At the time of the Civil war he gave efficient service as a
soldier in an Indiana volunteer regiment, .and his service covered practically
the entire period of the conflict between the North and the South. In his native state his marriage was solemnized in
1867, and in 1870 he removed with his family to Holt county, Missouri, where he
purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, near the village of Craig.
There he continued his successful activities as a farmer until 1890, when he and
his wife established their home in Gage county, Nebraska, after he had disposed
of his farm in Missouri. Upon coming to Gage county Mr. Strough purchased one
hundred and sixty acres of land in Section 33, Holt township, and, with his
progressive policies and mature judgment he there proved notably successful in
his farm enterprise, the while he made excellent improvements on the homestead.
He remained on the farm until 1908, when he retired from active labors and
removed with his devoted wife to the city of Beatrice, where he passed the
residue of his life, secure in the high regard of all who knew him. Mr. Strough
was well fortified in his convictions .concerning governmental policies and was
a stalwart advocate of the principles of the Republican party. He took deep
interest in community affairs and while living on his Gage county farm, he
served as a member of the school board of his district. His religious faith was
that of the Presbyterian church and his widow holds membership in the
Congregational church of Beatrice.
In the year 1867 Mr. Strough wedded Miss Sarah Ann Bowers, who
was born in Henry county, Indiana, April 14, 1849, a daughter of George and
Lydia (Weane) Bowers, both natives of Rockingham county, Virginia, where the
former was born in the year 1819 and the latter on the 9th of August, 1831. Upon
his removal to Indiana, Mr. Bowers became a pioneer of Henry county, and there
he became a substantial farmer and influential citizen of his community. He was
one of the venerable pioneer citizens of the county at the time of his death, in
1891, at the age of seventy-two years, and his widow, who attained to the age of
eighty-one years, was a resident of Henry county, Indiana, at the time of her
death, in 1908. Since the death of her honored husband Mrs. Strough has
continued to reside in the attractive home which he provided upon their removal
to Beatrice. In conclusion is given brief record concerning their children,
eleven having been born to them and two of the number having died in infancy:
Laura is the wife of Giles Laughlin and they reside near Sheridan, Arkansas;
Mary B. is the wife of Thomas Harding, a prosperous farmer of Holt township,
Gage county, Nebraska ; Joseph Leonard resides in Beatrice, this county, where
he operates a garage ; Dora E. is the wife of John Coonley, who is engaged in
the grocery business in West Beatrice; Lloyd L., who owns and resides upon his
father's old home farm in Holt township, is individually mentioned on other
pages of this volume; Rufus F. is engaged in the oil business in the city of
Beatrice; Jesse F. is a resident of Ottumwa, Iowa; and Nona E. is the wife of
William Sherwood, a prosperous farmer in Logan township.
History of Gage County, Nebraska By Hugh
and Contributed by: Barbara
P. and Elizabeth Mumford
P. and Elizabeth Mumford were amongst the first pioneers in Gage County
Isma P. Mumford was born in the state of Maryland, while Elizabeth Mallock, and was born in Adams County, Ohio, in 1830. She was the granddaughter of a
Revolutionary soldier and the daughter of a man who bore arms for his country
in the war of 1812. When twenty-one years of age she became the wife of Isma P.
Mumford. Shortly after their marriage, in 1853, they mi-prated from Ohio to the
new state of Wisconsin, and in 1857 they came seeking a home in the new
territory of Nebraska. On the way out they were joined at Plattsmouth by William
and Nathan Blakely, and together these heroic pioneers of Gage County made their slow way across the unmarked, trackless
prairies of southeastern Nebraska.
Hearing that the Big Blue
River valley offered great
advantages to settlers, on account of the abundant timber and rich bottom land
which lined its course, they traveled thither, and on the 17th day of July, almost
by accident, stumbled upon the members of the Beatrice Townsite Company.
were engaged in erecting a company house on their town site, which building
later became the property of Albert Towle and widely famous as "Pap's
Cabin." They also found a cluster of covered wagons and tents, in the
neighborhood of the Kees Manufacturing plant, a little above the junction of
Indian creek and the Big Blue River. Learning that the representatives of the Townsite
company had founded a town and purposed to remain and carry their enterprise to
fulfillment, and pleased both with the prospect and company, the little party
resolved to cast in its fortunes with that old guard which then and for many
succeeding years held this remote outpost of civilization against all
hardships, privations and discouragements.
several months Mrs. Mumford and a Miss Bailey, who accompanied the party, were
the only white women in the settlement, and probably the only white women in
the county. Of Miss Bailey this writer is unable to give any further account,
but Mrs. Mumford enjoyed the distinction of being the sole representative of
her sex in Gage County until the arrival of Mrs. Catherine Towle, in the
autumn of 1857. The names of both these good ladies must be forever spoken with
reverence by those for whom the early history of Beatrice and Gage County has the slightest interest. Both possessed unusual
mental vigor; both were endowed with those traits of personal character that
always command and retain the respect of mankind; both have long since passed
to their rest. One sleeps beside her
honored husband in the old cemetery, near this city, and the other is wrapped
in kindred earth of a sister state. To Mrs. Towle belongs the honor of being
the mother of the first child born in Gage County, a daughter, Katie Towle, and to Mrs. Mumford, the
honor of being the mother of the first white male child born within the boundaries
of our county. Both these children, having reached the age of maturity, were
long ago gathered to the bosom of Mother Earth. Katie Towle became the wife of
George V. Ayers, of Deadwood, South Dakota. She died on the 28th day of March
1890, aged thirty-two years. Her remains lie with those of her parents in the
family burial ground in the Beatrice Cemetery, while the turf that enfolds a
father's and a brother's clay wraps also the dust of Dawson Mumford, he having
perished in an accident, at the age of twenty-two years — the age when most men
after his arrival, Isma P. Mumford began the erection of the building which in
his hands became, and long afterward continued, to be a leading public inn of
the struggling village of Beatrice. "Pap's Cabin" consisted of an unhewn story-and-a-half log
structure, which stood about where the baggage room of the Burlington station
is located. It was the first structure of any kind erected in Beatrice, and
Mumford's inn the second. Mumford's building differed from Pap's Cabin, in
being a hewed instead of a round log house.
It still stands.
remaining history of Isma P. and Elizabeth Mumford may be briefly told. On August 7, 1857, at an election attended principally by the members
of the Beatrice Townsite Company for the purpose of organizing Gage County by electing a complete set of county officials, Mr.
Mumford was chosen county treasurer, and he held that office one year. He bears the distinction of being the first
county treasurer of Gage County
the great Indian panic of 1864, which swept over this portion of Nebraska with irresistible force, the Mumfords, with many other
families, left the territory, some never to return. But in the spring of 1865
Isma P. and Elizabeth Mumford, with their children, established a home near
what was know as the "Steam Wagon Road," six miles west of Nebraska City.
in 1873, Isma died, and his wife, in 1875, removed permanently from the state,
taking up her residence with a son, in Nodaway County, Missouri, where she died in March, 1897. They were the parents
of nine children, seven sons and two daughters. One son, James, became a
prominent Congregational minister, and as far as known to this writer, all
their children who reached maturity became useful and worthy members of
History of Gage County, Nebraska
one of the first settlers of Gage County, Nebraska, was born near McConnelsville, Ohio
December 5, 1818, and died on his farm in Gage County, February 20,
parents, John and Sarah Wallace Kilpatrick, were of Scotch-Irish descent, and
their rugged characters impelled them to keep ever at the front of the pioneer
the son was yet a child the parents moved on to Indiana, and there the boy
spent his early life in toil incident to the pioneer life, securing whatever of
education might be picked up in the schools of that day. He worked upon farms
in Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana, but felt the inherited impulse to move onward
to the frontier.
In 1844 he moved to Jasper County, Missouri,
and engaged in farming for several years, moving to Benton County, Iowa, in
1859 he settled in Nebraska, Plattsmouth being his first stopping place. From
Plattsmouth he went to Nebraska City, and from the latter place to the section now known
as Gage County, where he took up a claim of 120 acres, which he
later entered as a homestead. He lived upon this homestead until his death.
hard work and the exercise of frugality he secured an additional quarter-section.
When he located his claim his nearest neighbor lived about ten miles away, and
often the settlers, were forced to flee before the Indians who still disputed
the right of the white man to settle upon the broad prairies of Nebraska.
original homestead included the north half of the northwest quarter, southwest
half of the northwest quarter of Sec. 31, Twp. 4, R. 5 East.
was a republican, although he never took an active part in politics. He was a
member of the Methodist Church.
May 20, 1844, he married to Rachel Thompson at Joliet, Illinois. Ten Children were born of this union, four of
whom are living:
H., contractor and ranchman, Newcastle, Wyoming
J., contractor and ranchman, Beatrice, Nebraska
D., contractor and ranchman, Cambria, Wyoming
M., farmer and stockman of Gage County
C. Kilpatrick, another son, died May 11, 1902.
to Nebraska when it was a territory and comparatively unknown, Samuel
Kilpatrick lived to see it become a state that promised to rival the older
states of the far East in population and riches.
this development he took an active part, and the work performed by him has left
its impress upon the history of the commonwealth.
Illustrated History of Nebraska, Vol. I,
J. H. Alden
A jeweler, was born at Mt. Morris, Ogle County, Illinois., in 1854, where
he remained sixteen years, attending school part of the time and part of the
time was with his father on the road for his health until 1870, when he went to
Galena and learned the jeweler's trade, coming to Nebraska in 1879 and locating
opened a jewelry store, 24x60, two stories, and used the second story for
organs and pianos. Mr. Alden has a very neat store. At the right as you enter
is two large upright show cases eight by ten, two feet deep, and in imitation
black walnut, for silverware and small musical instruments, and five two by ten
feet cases for the center, with one large show case for outside. He has a full
line of musical instruments, from a piano to a jewsharp.
was married in 1877 to Miss Anna Belle O'Hara, of Galena, Illinois.
of Nebraska 1882
and proprietor of the Blue Valley Meat Market, was born near Cincinnati, Ohio,
in 1849, remaining there until 1860, when he went to Colorado and worked at
anything he could get, putting his money into cattle, until 1875, when he had
500 head of cattle, which he drove into Chase County, and at present has 800
head of cattle and between fifty and sixty head of horses.
October, 1881, he bought out the Blue Valley Meat Market, which he has been
October, 1880, he was married to Miss Lena Rowley, a native of Illinois. She was born in Aurora, Illinois., in 1851.
Armacost is a member of the I. O. 0. F.
of Nebraska 1882
located at Pawnee
City, Nebraska., October,
1869, and practiced law there until he went to Beatrice in February, 1880,
where he has since followed his profession.
was a member of the Legislature in 1873-74.
He is now City Attorney, having held that position since his residence
was born at Bath, Steuben
County, New York, June 4, 1836,
and moved with his parents when quite young to Michigan,
where he lived until he came to Nebraska.
enlisted in August, 1862, in Company H, Eighteenth Michigan Volunteer
Infantry, and was afterward promoted to the captaincy of Company E, Eighteenth
Michigan. He served until July, 1865, having been in all the engagements of his
was married at Pawnee City, May, 1880, to Jeannette DuBois, a native of Madison, Florida. They have one child, Laura Eleanor, born
is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council.
Babcock graduated from the Law Department of the Michigan University
in the class of 1868.
of Nebraska 1882
estate and mortage broker, of the firm of Burnham. Trevett & Mattis,. came to Beatrice in
partners reside at Champaign, Illinois. They
deal in land, but loaning money on real estate is their principal business.
Baker was born at LeRoy. Michigan, June 17, 1886, being a son of Herman and Eliza
Barnes Baker, who reside at Vicksburg, Michigan, and was the first white boy
born in that township.
resided at Champaign, Illinois, for twenty years prior to coming to Nebraska,
being engaged in his present business there.
was married in LeRoy, Michigan,
September 1, 1861, to Araminta D.
Gould, a native of Parma, Monroe County, New York.
They have four children—Leona, Channing
G., George D. and Vesta I.
Baker is a member of the A , F. & A.
of Nebraska 1882
Sheriff, was born in Wayne County, Indiana, in 1848, going with his parents to
Warren County, Iowa, where he lived until 1869.
May, 1872, he located in Beatrice and worked at his trade of plastering, until
1876, when he was appointed Deputy Sheriff under A. P. Hazard, holding the
position two years, when he was elected City Marshal.
July, 1878, he was again appointed Deputy Sheriff, under Eugene Mack, and has
held the office continuously since, at present under Capt. Herron,and is
considered a competent and trustworthy officer.
Barnett is a member of the Temple of Honor, No. 4, of Beatrice, Nebraska
of Nebraska 1882
was born near Ypsilanti.
Michigan, in 1855, his parents moving soon after to Grass Lake, Jackson County,
remaining about four years, then removing to Canton, Illinois, where he remained
seven years, attending the school at that point.
1874, he emigrated to Nebraska
and located in Beatrice. He was in the mercantile business two and one-half
years, when he went into the office of Colby & Hazlett and read law; was
admitted to the bar in 1879, and in 1880 was taken into partnership with Colby
& Hazlett; is Secretary of the Beatrice Bar Association and Manager of the
Beatrice Telephone Company and Stock Company, worth $2000--60 per cent paid In
capital, H. W. Parker, President. There
are thirty seven instruments in use.
was married in 1879, at Lincoln, Nebraska, to Miss Kate Gillette, of that
place. They have been blessed with one daughter—Ella C., born January, 1881.
Bales is a member of the Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, and the A., F. & A. M., and
is Adjutant of the First Regiment Nebraska National Guards.
History of Nebraska 1882
Martin L. Carpenter
Has by industry and perseverance
acquired valuable property during his four years residence in Lincoln Township,
having risen from moderate circumstances since his arrival in this county, in
the spring of 1884.
Previous to his residence here he
lived in Beatrice for a few months, to which place he had come from Eagle
Point, Ogle Co., Illinois.
He was born near Hagerstown,
Washington County, Maryland,
on the 22nd of
August, 1854, an disason of
Jeremiah and Susan (Cross) Carpenter, the former of whom was a native of
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania,
and the latter of Washington County,
The parents were married in the
latter-named place, and there made their home, a family of seven sons and two
daughters growing up around them.
In 1874 they came to Illinois, and made their home near Polo until they came
to this state, and they are now making their home in Holt Township.
The father is aged seventy, and
the mother sixty-eight years, and they are members of the Church of God,
enjoying in their later days the fruits of their early industry, and the esteem
and friendship of the people of their community.
Our subject spent the early years
of his life in his native county, where he was educated in the public schools,
and instructed in the duties pertaining to and agricultural life, after which
he was united in marriage, near Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on the 27th of April, 1872,
to Miss Anna Osbaugh. She was born in
the above named city on the
14th of February, 1855, and is a daughter of William and
Harriet (Ruthruaff) Osbaugh, the former of whom is now living near Springfield, Illinois,
aged about threescore years.
He is a cooper by trade, and in
connection with that business he owns and has charge of a store.
The mother of Mrs. Carpenter died
while she was making a visit I Lee County, Illinois, in 1884, when she was
about fifty-six years old. She and her
husband were members of the German Reformed Church , and were highly respected
all by all who knew them.
Mrs. Carpenter passed her
girlhood days in Greencastle,
Pennsylvania, and as she grew to
womanhood she completed her education in various branches of learning, and
cultivated the womanly virtues which have made her so estimable a lady.
In 1874 our subject with his wife
and his father’s family moved to Ogle
where they remained for some time.
They now have a family of four
bright, intelligent children, whose names are Iva E., Zoe Adrian, Roy II, and Harley G.
Since their residence here they
have been prosperous and successful, and are rapidly becoming situated in a
condition to enjoy life without so much hard labor, which speaks well for the
industrious disposition and careful management of our subject.
He is a genial and affable man,
and has won a large circle of admiring friends by his kindly, considerate
nature and his true, manly courtesy.
He has held the office of
Treasurer of his township with credit to himself and with satisfaction to the
community, and where political matters are discussed he proves himself a
well-informed and ardent Democrat.
Gage County, Nebraska
Portrait and Biographical
Album of Gage County, Nebraska
The name of William H. Allvord
is inscribed high on the roll
of the honored veterans of the
Civil war and of Gage county's
He was born in Dauphin county,
Pennsylvania, in 1842, being
a son of George and Mary (Shumper)
Allvord, also natives of the
Keystone state, and the former
was of German descent. The mother
died when her son William was
but a child, leaving six sons
and five daughters, and five
of the sons served as soldiers
in the Civil war,—H. Fred, David.
William H., George and Jacob.
Three were wounded, David, William
H. and Jacob, but all returned
home at the close of their services,
and the military, record of
this family is pne of which
the members have every reason
to be proud.
William H. Allvord spent
the early years of his life
on a farm in Perry County, Pennsylvania.
At the first call of Lincoln
for troops, seven days after
Fort Sumter had been fired upon,
this patriotic lad offered his
services to the Union cause,
enlisting with the three-months
men in the Second Pennsylvania
Infantry, but four months elapsed
before his discharge. He was
under fire at Williamport, Virginia,
and Chambersburg and after his
second enlistment, in 1863,
in Company E, Fifty-third Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry, Colonel
Brooks commanding, he took part
in the battles of the Wilderness,
Poe River, Spottsylvania, Cold
Harbor and on to Petersburg,
taking part in the siege of
that place. He was wounded near
that city, and on the 16th of
June, 1864, was taken as a prisoner
of war to Andersonville, where
he was confined until the following
December, a period of six months
and four days. While there incarcerated
he was threatened by Colonel
Wertz that if he did not obey
and move more quickly a ball
and chain would be put on him.
On entering this prison pen
he weighed one hundred and seventy-five
pounds, but ere his term had
expired his weight was reduced
to seventy-five pounds, being
thus emancipated through starvation
and exposure, and he suffered
all the horrors of that noted
rebel prison. After his release
Mr. Allvord returned home on
a thirty days' furlough, on
the expiration of which period
he went to Petersburg, where
he was wounded in the right
leg on the 31st of March, 1865.
He was then taken
to a hospital at Washington,
D. G, where he was honorably
discharged from the service
as a corporal, having been promoted
for gallant conduct on the field
After the close of the struggle
Mr. Allvord returned home, and
for a time thereafter was engaged
in the mining of coal in Pennsylvania
for eastern parties. During
the past twenty-six years he
has made his home in Nebraska,
and his valuable and well cultivated
farm is located in Highland
township, Gage county. Ere leaving
the state of his birth and while
home from the war on a furlough,
he was united in marriage to
Martha Buchanan, who was called
to the home beyond at the age
of fifty-four years, passing
away in Gage county. She was
a loving wife and mother, a
kind neighbor, and was loved
and honored by all who had the
pleasure of her acquaintance.
At her death she left one daughter,
Sarah Sloan, who makes her home
in Saline county, Nebraska.
One daughter, Mary,
is deceased. In political matters
Mr. Allvord is a stanch Republican,and
on its ticket has been elected
to offices of public trust,
having served for one year as
road overseer and has also been
a member of the school board.
He maintains pleasant relations
with his old army comrades through
membership with the Grand Army
of the Republic, having joined
one of the first posts organized
in the east. Religiously he
is a believer in the Church
of Christ, and his wife was
identified with the United Brethren.
Biographical and Genealogical
History of Southeastern Nebraska
- Volume 1 - 1904
for Nebraska Genealogy Trails
by: D. Whitesell
Hon. P. H. James
Hon. P. H. James, a prominent
agriculturist of Highland township.
Gage county, Nebraska,
is numbered among the veterans
of the Civil war and is a worthy
representative of the early
pioneers of this region. He
was born in Pike county, Ohio,
on the 4th of July, 1842. a
son of Samuel James, also a
native of the Buckeye state,
and the latter's father was
born in Virginia, where the
family were early represented
and its members took part in
the early wars of the country.
The mother of our subject bore
the maiden name of Catherine
Taylor, and was a descendant
of Wolfenbarger, a Revolutionary
soldier. Ten children were born
to Samuel and Catherine James,
six sons and four daughters,
and three of the sons served
as soldiers in the Civil war,—Marion.
P. H. and Gilbert, all members
of Ohio regiments. Mr. Samuel
James was called from this earth at the early
age of forty-six years, and
the mother survived until her
seventy-fifth year, both passing
away in the faith of the Methodist
Episcopal church, of which they
were worthy and consistent members,
and the father was a life-long
P. H. James was reared and
educated in the public schools
of his native state, and on
the 13th of July, 1861, before
reaching his twentieth year,
he offered his services to the
Union cause, enlisting in Company
I, Twenty-sixth Ohio Volunteer
Infantry, under Captain W. C.
Appier and Colonel E. P. Fife,
having been the first to enlist
from Marion township, and remained
in service longer than any other
man in that township. For a
time he was stationed in West
Virginia, under Generals Cox
and Rosecrans. Later he was
in the forced march under General
Buel to Shiloh. Thence to Corinth,
then Iuka and returned to Kentucky
and participated in the campaigns
of that state; was in battles
of Stone River, Chattanooga
and Missionary Ridge and shortly
afterward returned home on a furlough. Mr. James
then took part in the Atlanta
campaign, under Generals Sherman
and Thomas, and later under
General Thomas returned to fight
Genera! Hood's forces at Franklin
and Nashville, during which
time he had charge of his company.
From Nashville they were ordered
to Texas, via Louisiana and
the Gulf, and there he was honorably
discharged from the service
as a non-commissioned officer.
October 14. 1865. Out
of the twelve men who left Marion
township to fight for their
country only two returned. Mr.
James and Samuel Umphreys. Though
only nineteen years old at the
time of his enlistment, Mr.
James performed his arduous
tasks with the steadiness and
discretion of a man twice his
age. and his military record
is one of which he has every
reason to be proud. He draws
a meager pension of six dollars
In 1871 Mr. James left his
Ohio home and with team and
wagon set out for the then new
country of Nebraska, being accompanied
on the journey by his wife and
two children, and twenty-eight
flays were spent on the road.
On arriving here they located
first in Johnson county, but
in 1872 came to Gage county
and secured his present homestead
in Highland township. His valuable
homestead now consists of three
hundred and twenty acres of
as good land as can be found
in the entire commonwealth,
all of which he has placed under
a fine state of cultivation
and has erected all the commodious
buildings which now adorn the
place. He is devoting his efforts
to general farming and stock-raising,
and in both occupations is meeting
with a well merited degree of
He is also well known as
a public-spirited citizen and
as an active worker in the ranks
of the Republican party. For
a number of years he held the
office of postmaster, and was
also the representative of his
district in the state legislature
in 1892, in which he served
with honor and credit.
In Pike county, Ohio, in
1866, Mr. James was united in
marriage to Miss Catherine Keppler,
who was born, reared and educated
in Pike county, a daughter of
Conrad and Christena (Eherman)
Keppler, both of whom died in
Ohio. They were the parents
of four children, two sons and
two daughters. Mr. and Mrs.
James have had six children,
namely: David F., a resident
of Beatrice, Nebraska; Alice
Clare, of Lancaster, this state;
Addie Clough, who makes her
home in Gage county; Cora Randall,
also of Beatrice; and Nelly,
at home and a talented musician.
A sad event in the life of Mr.
and Mrs. James was the death
of their son Morton who passed
away when only sixteen years
He was an unusually bright
boy, and had served as a page
in the state house and as messenger
boy to Governor Thomas Majors.
Mr. and Mrs. James are numbered
among the best known citizens
of this community, where their
friends are legion.
Biographical and Genealogical
History of Southeastern Nebraska
- Volume 1 - 1904
for Nebraska Genealogy Trails
by: D. Whitesell
One of the well-to-do and successful farmers of
Hooker Township, Gage County, Nebraska, residing on section 16, has been in
this part of Southeastern Nebraska for over thirty years. While now accounted a man of means, he began
life poor, and his individual efforts have been crowned with a more than ordinary
degree of prosperity. He is esteemed as
one of the strictly self-made men of the county, as a foreign-born citizen who
took loyal part in the Civil War, and as a man who can be relied upon for help
and co-operation in all things affecting the public welfare of his county and
was born in Wurtenberg, Germany February 11, 1847, a son of Lewis and Catherine
(Francis) Ferderick, who brought their family to America in 1854, settling
first in Maryland, then in St. Clair County, Illinois, and later in Missouri. His father died in Keokuk, Iowa, but his
mother is still living at the age of ninety-three, and retains the energy and
vitality sufficient to walk two miles.
The three children living are Mary, in Beatrice, John, and Lizzie, in
Gage County, Nebraska. They were all Lutherans.
was reared on a farm, and worked out by the month for several years after
attaining his majority. He was only
fifteen years old when he enlisted from Springfield, Illinois, as a drummer boy
in Company F, Eighty-second Illinois Infantry, under Captain Weaver and Colonel
Hecker. He was at Chancellorsville,
Jackson, Gettysburg, Lookout Mountain, in the Georgia campaign, at Resaca, New
Hope Church, Burnt Hickory, at Atlanta, and many other engagements. He was captured and held prisoner in the
ill-famed Libby prison for sixty days, but was then liberated, and after a
short time went home. It was after a
three days’ march out of Savannah, Mr. Frederick and a companion went off from
the regiment foraging, and while sitting in a log cabin about a dozen
“Johnnie's” came upon them. The doors of
the cabin were instantly closed and a volley fired fro the window, killing one
man and a horse. The Johnnie's started to
run but finally decided to return, and did so, firing many shots through the
door in a room occupied by several parties, three children being in the room,
but no one was killed. Mr. Frederick and
his companion were captured and later landed in prison. On the way several times threats were made to
kill the prisoners but one level-headed man prevailed upon the rest not to kill
them. For the last two years of his
service he carried a gun in the ranks.
He was honorably discharged at Springfield, Illinois, in January, 1865,
having gained an excellent record as a soldier.
He had some narrow escapes, and once had a comrade shot down at his
side. He was frugal and diligent from
early youth, and with what he had saved he came to Nebraska in 1870 and bought
one hundred and sixty acres in Gage County for seven dollars and a quarter per
acre. He now owns three hundred and
twenty acres in this county, and it is worth sixty dollars an acre, and is
finely improved with good house, barns and a grove of seven acres. It is a model farmstead, one of the many
pretty places of which Gage County can boast.
was married November 12, 1878, to Elizabeth Gillett, who came here from Rock
County, Wisconsin, at the age of seventeen, a daughter of Hamilton and Margaret
(Day) Gillett, the former a resident of Adams, Nebraska, and the latter deceased. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs.
Frederick: Margaret, Martha, William,
Lydia, Andrew, Harrison, Jesse, Robert and Laura.
Mr. Frederick is a Republican in politics,
and a member of the Grand Army post at Adams, and attends the Methodist
Biographical and Genealogical
History of Southeastern Nebraska
- Volume 1 - 1904
for Nebraska Genealogy Trails
by: Jan Stypula
Lieutenant Joseph K. Pittman
K. Pittman, of Nemaha township, Gage County, Nebraska, is a resident here of fifteen
years’ standing. His life of over sixty
years has been passed in various localities, all of which have been honored by
his substantial citizenship and worthy performance of every duty devolving upon
him. When in the slush of young manhood
he gave his services to the nation to preserve union and personal liberty, and the
meritorious and gallant part which he took on the field of battle is attested
by the title which he won. Since that
time he has gained success equally great in civil life, has devoted himself
without reserve to individual work and the discharge of those responsibilities
which come up between man and man, and for all this deserves the honor and
esteem which are shown him and his excellent family.
Pittman was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, in 1840,
and comes of a family well known in that state, some of whose members took part
in the early wars of the colonies and republic.
His great-grandfather Benjamin, his grandfather Joseph and his father,
Ezra, were all born in Pennsylvania. Ezra Pittman was a native of Bedford County, followed farming there all
his life, was a Democrat of the Jacksonian type, and a church member and
honored citizen. His wife was Elizabeth
Knable, a native of Bedford
County and a daughter of John Knable, of an old Pennsylvania Dutch family. She is also deceased.
Joseph K. Pittman
was reared on the home farm in Pennsylvania and during limited seasons attended
school, but the greater part of the practical training which has helped him
through life was acquired by experience which began when he was a boy. He was twenty-one years old when the Civil
war came on, and on November 19, 1861, he enlisted, at Werefordsburg,
Pennsylvania, in Company B, and taken into the Third Maryland Volunteer
Infantry, under Captain Cardiff and Colonel Downey, and gave three years and
three months of faithful service. He
participated in the battle of Harper’s Ferry and in many of the engagements in Virginia, and assisted
in repelling General Mosby’s raiders from the northern states. He was in West Virginia
for sometime, and his regiment was ordered to Gettysburg, but arriving there too late to
take part in the crucial conflict of the war.
Mr. Pittman entered the service as a private, was made corporal, orderly
sergeant, and then promoted to first lieutenant, with which rank he was
honorably discharged, with the commendation of his superiors and the personal
regard of the men of his company. In
1865, after he had returned from the war, he came west to Knox
County, Illinois, and was engaged
in farming near Galesburg
for thirteen years. In 1878 he moved to
Lincoln county, Kansas, and in the new country took up a homestead, on which he
lived until 1888, when he came to Gage county, and since then has been
successfully engaged in farming and stock-raising.
In 1868 Mr.
Pittman was married in Knox County, Illinois,
to Miss Mary F. Bower, and they have enjoyed a most happy union over
thirty-five years, gladdened with life’s pleasures and made sweeter and closer
by its sorrows. She is a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Jacob and Susan (Bryan) Bower, both of whom are deceased, the
latter at the age of seventy-eight.
Twelve children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Pittman. One son died in childhood, and the others
are: Jasper D., Joseph, Ulysses G., Ezra, William, Edwin, Roy, Robert, Susan, Jessie, and Mary. Mr. Pittman is a stanch Republican, and
enjoys old army comradeship with the Sergeant Cox Post No. 100, G.A.R., at Adams. He is also
a Mason, and he and his wife are members of the Baptist church. He is a well informed man, genial and frank
with his associates, and his home is a place of hospitality and good cheer for
all who enter its doors.
A Biographical and
Genealogical History of
Southeastern Nebraska -
Volume 1 - 1904
Thaddeus Trimmer, one of the prosperous residents of Island Grove
township, Gage county, Nebraska, and an honored veteran of the Civil
war, has spent nearly all of his mature years in this state, and is known
throughout his community for his integrity and personal
The birth of Mr.
Trimmer occurred inOhio, August 8, 1840. He is a son of Chester and Phoeba Trimmer, of New York, and a grandson
of Isaiah Trimmer, of German extraction.
Mr. Trimmer’s mother was a native of Vermont.
His parents were married in Ohio, and in
1856 moved to Clayton County,Iowa.
Mr. Trimmer was reared in Clayton County,Iowa, and learned to work upon the farm. After attaining to mature years he moved
in 1860 to Nebraska, and in 1880 took up his
residence at Pleasant
Hill and established the Park fruit farm. He now has one of the finest farm homes
in Gage County, and raises all kinds of fruit and has made a great success of
In 1868 Mr. Trimmer was married to Louise Smith, who was born in
a daughter of Alfred Smith, both her parents being now deceased. The following
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Trimmer: Albrose, who married Ella Losy and
now resides at Republican City, Harlan County, Nebraska; Bessie, at home; and
two who died at the ages of four and twelve years. Mr. Trimmer is a Republican in politics,
and has served as supervisor of the township for sixteen years and is a
recognized factor in local matters.
Both he and his estimable wife are highly respected throughout the entire
county, and the success which has
come to them is well merited.
He began his career as a soldier by his enlistment in Nebraska in 1862 in the
Second Nebraska Cavalry, under Colonel Furnas and Captain Lewis Hill. He became one of the Rough Riders of the
northwest. This regiment made for
itself a gallant record in fighting the hostile Indians of the northwest. For a time they were stationed at
Omaha, later at North
Platte and Sioux
City, Iowa, and they
participated in the engagement at Big White Stone Hills, Dakota, where eighteen
hundred Indians were either killed or taken prisoner in battle. Mr. Trimmer
received his honorable discharge at Omaha, Nebraska, and returned home.
A Biographical and Genealogical History Of Southeastern Nebraska, Vol. II. Publ. 1904.
Transcribed by: Richard Ramos
James R. Wood
James R. Wood, one of Clarke county's most substantial farmers, is a native of
the old Hoosier State, born in Rush County, June 22, 1836. His parents,
Jephthah W. and Frances B. (Reed) Wood, were natives of Tennessee and
South Carolina respectively. The father, who was of Welsh-German
extraction, was born in 1810, and was a lad of ten years when his
parents emigrated to Indiana; he was a carpenter by trade, and also
followed farming in connection with his occupation. His death occurred
March 17, 1887. Mrs. Wood was descended from Scotch ancestors. There
were members of her family who figured prominently in the Revolutionary
struggle and also in the war of 1812. Colonel Reed participated in the
engagement at Bunker Hill, and Captain Jacob Reed, father of Mrs. Wood,
was a line officer under command of Gen. Jackson at the battle of New
Orleans. James R. is the second of a family of nine children, only
three of whom survive at the present time. When he was a child of seven
years his parents removed to Mercer county, Illinois, and there he grew
to maturity. His father being a farmer he naturally acquired a taste for
this most independent of vocations, which he has followed through life.
In the year 1866 he went to Gage County, Nebraska, and there resided
for a period of fifteen years. The States of the Pacific Coast offering
most alluring inducements to farmers he crossed the plains and mountains
in 1882, and took up his residence in Clarke County. He has a farm of
140 acres; thirty-five acres are cultivated to grain, sixty-five are in
natural timber and two acres are in orchards. This tract is situated
nine miles northeast of Vancouver and is a very desirable piece of land.
Mr. Wood, a worthy descendant of his ancestors, has a military record
quite equal to that of his grandsire. Promptly heeding the call of
country he enlisted August 11, 1862, in the One Hundred and Second
Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the cessation of
hostilities. His regiment was a part of the brigade commanded by the
late President of the United States, General Harrison. He participated
in many of the engagements of Sherman's memorable march through Georgia,
and when he was discharged from the service it was as a brave and loyal
Mr. Wood was united in marriage in the State of
Illinois, August 27, 1859, to Miss Rebecca Shanks, who was born at
Moline, Illinois. They are the parents of seven children: Wilburn S.,
James M., Nettie, wife of J. B. Higdon, Louis W., Walter H., Ford E. and
In politics Mr. Wood adheres to the principles of the
Democratic party. He has been an active member of the School Board for a
number of years, and for one year served as Road Overseer. He is
associated with the Patrons of Husbandry, Flat Wood Grange, No. 96.
Hines, Harvey K. An illustrated history of the state of Washington. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1894. - DC
Sub by: FoFG DC