1855, W. N. Rogers, W. L. Rogers, John Carpenter, J. Thompson and John Bunker
settled near the present town site of Caldwell.
sturdy pioneers were the only settlers in that vicinity for a number of years,
but, during the past ten years, its numbers have been so augmented that it is
now one of the most prosperous communities in the county.
April, 1872, a town site of 240 acres was laid off by a town company, of
Boston, Mass., of which Messrs. Brooks, Forbes and Dennison were Trustees, on
lands owned by F. Roper.
post office was established in the fall of 1872, which W. N. Rogers as first
Postmaster, K. M. Evans being the present incumbent.
depot, warehouse and a few other frame structures were erected during the same
on the Omaha & South Western Branch of the Burlington & Missouri, and
on the banks of the Blue River, it has excellent facilities as a shipping and
the spring of 1875, Robinson & Howard
erected a frame gristmill about half a mile below the original town site, and
soon after, the few buildings on the town site were moved nearer the mill,
leaving Caldwell proper without any buildings.
Robinson & Howard ran the
mill about two years, since which time it has changed owners several times.
present owners, J. Klein & Co., of Beatrice, are putting in new machinery
and making extensive repairs. When finished, the mill will be one of the best
in the neighborhood.
of Nebraska 1882