Was originally called Camp
Missouri, then Cantonment Missouri.
Because of flooding, the post was
moved on June 12, 1820, to the top of
Council Bluffs, more than one mile
from the original site, and the name
changed to Cantonment Council Bluffs.
The post was designated Fort Atkinson
by the explicit order of Secretary of
War John C. Calhoun to Colonel
Atkinson, dated January 5,1821.
Abandoned on June 6,1827, on the
recommendation of Colonel George
Croghan, inspector general, U. S.
Army, who held that the post served no
useful purpose, was unhealthful, and
was too far from the starting point of
the Santa Fe Trail. The garrison was
transferred to Jefferson Barracks,
Missouri, and the post itself was
superseded by Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
September 8, 1855.
at the mouth of Ash
Hollow south of the North Platte River on the Oregon
Trail. Erected by Colonel William S. Harney, 2nd U.
immediately after his engagement with the Sioux in the
so called Battle of Blue Water.
Named for Brevet
Lieutenant John L. Grattan, 6th U. S. Infantry, killed
by the Oglala Sioux near Fort Laramie, Wyoming,
Fort was an earthwork, about one hundred
feet across, with two bastions.
Harney, the post was intended to provide protection
for emigrant trains and the monthly mail passing between
Forts Kearny and Laramie.
Abandoned on October 1, 1855.
Established September 5, 1874.
on the left side
of the North
Loup River near the present town of
Established to quiet the
fears of the settlers of the Loup
Valley who were
Brule and Oglala Sioux.
Samuel Munson, 9th
U. S. Infantry, on a site selected by
General Edward 0.
C. Ord, commanding the department.
called "Post on North
Loup," it was designated Fort Hartsuff
November. 1874. in
honor of Major General George Lucas
who died on May 16.
1881, as it was considered unnecessary
after Fort Niobrara was established.
post buildings were sold on July 20,
1881, and the military reservation was
transferred to the Interior Department
on July 22, 1884.
Established in May, 1846.
the right bank of the Missouri River,
some fifty miles below Omaha, at the
mouth of Table Creek, where Nebraska
City now stands. Colonel Stephen Watts
Kearny, 1st U. S.
Colonel George M. Brooke, 5th U. S.
Infantry, selected the site
23, 1846. Kearny and Captain Nathan
Boone, 1st U. S. Dragoons, had
recommended that a post be established
on the site in 1838.
by Major Clinton Wharton, 1st U. S. Dragoons. Wharton
returned to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, shortly fter the
post was established, and the only significant building
erected, a blockhouse, was constructed under the directiof
of First Lieutenant William E. Prince, 1st U. S. Infantry,
who succeeded Wharton in command.
in June or July, 1846, and reoccupied on September 15,
post was intended to protect the Oregon Trail but was
too far removed from the general route of travel.
for Colonel Kearny. Permanently abandoned in May
1848, and repliced by Fort Kearny II.
Established in June,
Located on the
side of the Platte River, about
miles southeast of the
present town of Kearney. The site,
chosen by First
P. Woodbury, Corps of Engineers, in
the fall of
purchased from the Pawnee Indians for
Established by two companies of
the direction of Lieutenant Colonel
Mounted Volunteers. First called "Post
," it was soon referred
to, although never so designated
in honor of Major Thomas Childs, 1st
U. S. Artillery. It was designated
Fort Kearny on December 30, 1848.
frequently referred to as New Fort
Kearny to distinguish it
was one of the most important posts on the Oregon Trail,
providing portection, for emigrants and serving as a
depot for munitions for use between Forts Leavenworth
and Laramie. It served also to protect the peaceable
Indians from hostile Inidans and outlaws.
on May 17, 1871, as no longer necessary. The military
reservation was transferred to the Interior Derpartment
on December 2, 1876.
Established September 27, 1863.
Located on the right bank of the South
Platte River, two miles west of
Cottonwood Springs, eight miles above
the confluence of the North and South
Platte. Established to protect
travelers from Indian attack and to
prevent the Indians from crossing the
South Platte at a point which they had
long used as a ford.
Established by Major
George M. O'Brien, 7th Iowa Cavalry.
Originally called Cantonment
McKean, for Major Thomas McKean,
38th Pennsylvania Militia, commandng
officer for the territory. The post
was designated Post of Cottonwood in
February, 1864; Fort Cottonwood on
May 18, 1864; then, on January 20,
1866, it was named Fort McPherson, in
honor of Brigadier General James B.
McPherson, killed near Atlanta on July
The burial ground at the
post was declared a national cemetery
in 1873 and is still maintained as
Abandoned on March 29, 1880,
except for a small detachment which
remained until June 20, 1880, to
dispose of post property. The post
on May 23, 1881, and the military
to the Interior Deparetment on January 5,
Established in August, 1864.
on the left bank
north Platte River
above Scott's Bluff, some twelve miles
Wyoming line. Intended to protect the
area against hostile Indians.
Established by Captain Jacob S.
Shuman, 11th Ohio Cavalry,
Brigadier General Robert B. Mitchell,
Nebraska. Originally called Camp
Shuman, the name
changed (prior to August 31, 1864) to
Camp Mitchell by Captain Shuman.
post was never officially designated.
April 22, 1880.
on the right bank of the Niobrara River near the mouth
of the Minnechaduze, a few miles east of the present
town of Valentine.
to provide the settlers and cattlemen of the area with
protection gainst the Sioux Indians, who were by this
time a broken people but were still feared, and to control
the Indians at the Spotted Tail Agency.
by Major John Jacques Upham, 5th U. S. Cavalry.
on October 22, 1906. The military reservation
is now a National Wildlife Refuge.
Established December 5, 1868.
on the right bank of the Missouri
River above Omaha, although within the
present city limits.
Captain William Sinclair. 3rd U. S.
Artillery. The post was originally
called Camp Sherman, in honor of
Lieutenant General William Tecumseh
Sherman. In 1869 the name was changed
to Omaha Barracks, and on December 30,
1878, the post was designated Fort
The garrison was withdrawn in
1895 when the post was replaced by
Fort Crook. Two officers and
thirty-five men remained at the post
until September, 1896, to dispose of
removable public property. Efforts to
sell the post were given up when it
proved impossible to get what was
considered a reasonable price for the
The post has been
reactivated and discontinued several
times and the military reservation has
Established in 1864 as a subpost of
Located south of the
Platte River at Plum Creek.
Established as an intermediate station
between Forts Kearny II and McPherson
and supplied from Fort Kearny.
Intended to protect the emigrant route
and the mails. This was one of several
posts along the Oregon Trail, usually,
and more properly, referred to as
stations and actually serving as such
for the stage route.
Established March 8, 1874. Located
north of the White River, near the
confluence of Soldier Creek, west of
the present town of Crawford, at the
Red Cloud Agency headquarters.
Established by order of Lieutenant
General Phil Sheridan during the
difficulty with the Sioux Indians over
the Black Hills region. The post was
also a center for the control of the
Indians at the Red Cloud and Pine
Erected under the
direction of Colonel John E. Smith,
. S. Infantry. First
called Camp Red Cloud Agency, the post
became Camp Robinson on March 29,1874,
and was designated Fort Robinson in
January, 1878. Named for First
Lieutenant Levi H. Robinson, 14th
. S. Infantry, killed by
Indians in Wyoming on February 9,
The post was used as a training
center for dogs of the K-9 Corps
during World War II and later as a
Abandoned in 1948.
The Fort Robinson
State Park and Museum are located on
the post reservation.
Established November 19, 1867.
at the present town of Sidney, in the
Lodgepole Creek Valley.
Established to protect the
construction crews of the Union
Originally an outpost
of Fort Sedgwick, Colorado, it became
a separate post in 1870. Until 1879 it
was called Sidney Barracks, then it
was designated Fort Sidney.
on May 24, 1894. The military
reservation was transferred to the
Interior Department on
Transcribed and Contributed
Jo Ann Boyd Scott
Forts of the West
to 1898, Robert W. Frazer,