Douglas is a village in Otoe County, Nebraska that began as Hendrick's Precinct, in honor of Hiram Hendricks, a native of Virginia, who came to Nebraska in 1856 with his wife, Cicily. Hendricks became justice of the peace and his home served as a polling place for elections, where he was a judge over voting procedures from 1859-1861. Hiram Hendricks died November 21, 1861. On February 28, 1863 a post office was established and named in his honor.
In 1864 an Irish born man named Simpson McKibbon and his wife, Harriet Douglass, settled on a homestead in Hendricks Precinct. Shortly after, part of their farm was divided up into lots where people began to settle. At this same time, the Missouri Pacific Railroad was grading it's right-of-way. In 1887 Simpson McKibbon transferred a strip of land over to the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
A Nebraska City Lawyer, Thomas B. Stevenson, assisted Simpson McKibbon and Tom Smith in the platting of a village. Simpson McKibbon sold land and seven specific lots in the Village of Hendricks in June of 1887. In July Thomas Stevenson and his wife signed papers to dedicate streets, alleys and highways for public use. A week later the village was being called Douglas. Some say the village was given the name Douglas (after the wife of the land owner, Simpson McKibbon) as part of the deal when he sold the land to the railroad. Still, others suggest that the village may have been named for the first postmaster, George Douglas.
Sources: Wikipedia.org & Google.com/village of Douglas, Nebraska
Dunbar is a village in Otoe County, Nebraska that was originally known as Wilson. It was renamed in 1856 for the oldest resident and recognized founder. The village sat on the intersection of the properties belonging to John Dunbar, T. H. Dunbar, J. Wilson and John McGinley.
Dunbar was a freighting depot for goods traveling west out of Nebraska City. In 1869, the first railroad was built in Dunbar and by the 1880s the town had a grocery stor, general store, restaurant, boarding house, 2 saloons, a dentist and an optometrist.
The first birth in Dunbar was Maggie Hainey, the daughter of George Hainey, a man who was one of the first to engage in active business there.
The first death in Dunbar was an infant of George Allen.
The first marriage was Miss Mary Cope and Mr. Stebbins of Minnesota.
Mrs. Jane Wilson owned the first dwellingt house erected in Dunbar. Barlett Smith built one shortly after, then several smaller dwellings.
In 1878, Mr. P. Fielding started a hotel business. He was the first to provide accommodations for travelers after the closing of the post station of overland route days.
The Pioneer Lumber Yard also began in 1878. It was a branch of the Chicago Lumber Company and was started by H. F. Cady.
Sources: Wikipedia & Andreas History of Nebraska