Obituaries - H

Hanson, Nora
Wahoo (AP) – Mrs. Nora Hanson, 69, wife of a real estate dealer and former president of First National bank of Wahoo, died after a long illness.
[Source: Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), dated December 27, 1940]

Hapke, William J.
Wahoo, (AP) – William J. Hapke, 72, Wahoo resident and district deputy of the Knights of Pythias 20 years, died of heart disease at his home Tuesday. He operated a hotel a number of years and later was a tailor. His wife, a daughter, Mrs. Ray Ramsay of Lincoln, and a son, Fred Hapke of Davenport, Ia., survive. Funeral services will be held Thursday.
[Source: Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), dated November 11, 1936]

Havlovic Family
Prague Car Runs Into A Live Wire
Joe Havlovic, Farmer, Wife and Five-Year-Old Son Are Victims
Daughter, Seven, Is Burned
Auto Hit Wire and They Tried To Remove It, Believed
Bodies Not Badly Scorched
Thought One Family Member Endeavored To Lift Wire From Windshield and Other Went to Aid

Fremont, Neb., Sept. 2 – (UP) – Three persons were electrocuted and a fourth narrowly escaped death when an automobile struck a live electric wire on the highway about one miles south of Abie at 9:15 last night. The dead are Joe Havolovic, thirty-three, a farmer living east of Prague, his wife and their five-year-old son. A seven year old daughter sitting in the car suffered burns on her fingers, but was otherwise uninjured.
The bodies were found by John Spatz of Bruno, who happened to be passing. He hurried to Abie for assistance, and had the current turned off there, so the little girl could be lifted from the car.
From indications, the Havlovic car had run into a low-hanging wire, which struck the windshield. One member of the family had apparently alighted from the car to lift the wire from the windshield and the other had tried to give assistance.
When found, the father had the five-year-old boy in his arms. Bodies of the three electrocuted victims were all out of the car.
The bodies were not badly burned. The little girl was conscious when Spatz, with Ludwig Koza of Abie, lifted her from the car, but was unable to give a coherent story of the accident. Dr. Jelinek of Prague and the coroner from Fremont were called, but all three victims were dead when he arrived.
The wire carried 25,000 volts, it is said and is on a line of the Nebraska Power company of Omaha. It runs from Milford thru the Prague neighborhood. The pole was said to have been rotted allowing the wire to hang loosely near the ground.
[Source: Lincoln Evening Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), dated September 2, 1927]
[Transcribed and Submitted by: Denise Hansen]

4,000 at Havlovic Funeral at Prague
Baby Who Survives to Be Scarred for Life by Searing Touch of Mother
3 Bodies in 1 Grave

Special Dispatch to The World-Herald
Prague, Neb., Sept. 8 – What is said to have been the largest funeral crowd in history of this community was that today for the services of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Havlovic, and their son, Frank, Jr., 4, electrocuted Thursday night when their car ran into a high voltage transmission wire.
It is estimated four thousand people were in the throng which filled the
Plasi Catholic church and overflowed onto the lawn.
The bodies were laid away in one large grave, the basket of the little boy forming the lower bar in a U.
Cyril, the baby boy who survived the tragedy, was at the funeral in care of relatives. He developed illness today and was taken to a doctor. The burn of his mother’s thumb, as she apparently tried to snatch him from the car, will probably leave a scar on his arm for life.
A coroner’s jury yesterday failed to fix responsibility for the deaths.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated September 3, 1927]
[Transcribed and Submitted by: Denise Hansen]

Hearst, John
Died in the County Jail
Wahoo, Neb., June 8 – John Hearst, a prominent farmer and one of the old settlers near Wahoo, died this morning in the county jail. Mr. Hearst was taken violently insane Saturday night last. He was brought into town last night and confined preparatory to removal to the insane hospital at Lincoln.
[Source: Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), dated June 9, 1892]

Heeter, Preston - child of
A Horrible Death

Valparaiso, Nebraska, September 28.—(Special)—A horrible accident occurred this morning at the residence of Preston Heeter, about eight miles southwest of this place, in which a child of Mr. Heeter was burned to death.
Mrs. Heeter tied the child in a chair and drew it up near the stove to keep it warm, and went out to the barn to milk her cows.
When she returned she found the child with one leg and one arm burned off from the body, but still alive, thought it only lived about twenty minutes.
The father and mother are prostrated with grief.
[Source: The World Herald Omaha, Sunday, September 29, 1889]

Helsing, John
Wahoo – John Helsing, 92, died Monday at his homestead near here, which he had farmed for 62 years.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated January 4, 1933]

Hledik, Frank
Died From His Injuries
Frank Hledik, the Bohemian whose neck was dislocated by being thrown from a wagon at Wahoo, has died of his injuries. He never regained consciousness after the accident.
[Source: Columbus Journal (Columbus, Nebraska), dated January 1, 1890]

Hodec, Will
Saunders Loses Four Men
Its Soldiers Die of Disease – Sidney Johnson Last Victim

Wahoo, Neb., Oct. 4 – Although Saunders county has no company in either of the three regiments now in the field, she has suffered more than her share of the disasters of war. Within the past week four of Saunders county’s best young men have given up their lives, the victims of disease. W.F. Primley, Jr., a member of company J, Second regiment, died at Omaha a few days ago. Will Hodec and Orr Simpson, both of the Third regiment, died on Friday of last week at Pablo Beach, and this morning the sad intelligence arrived at Wahoo that Sidney Johnson of company K also had passed away at Pablo Beach.
All of the latter three were members of the Third regiment, and were among the best young men of our county. The remains of Will Hodec will arrive this evening and the funeral will be conducted under the auspices of the Grand army post of this city.
The remains of Sidney Johnson will probably be shipped here for interment, but the date of the arrival is unknown at this time. Sidney Johnson was a son of Captain Eric Johnson, proprietor of the New Era, and was clerk of his company. W.F. Primley, Jr., was a son of W.F. Primley of the Mead Advocate of the town of Mead. Will Hodec has a windowed mother in Wahoo. By his industry he had paid off a mortgage on his mother’s home and was in every way an estimable young man. Others of the Second regiment are here on sick furlough.
[Source: The Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated October 5, 1898]
[Transcribed and submitted by: Denise Hansen]

Holden, John
Wahoo, Neb., Nov. 3 – John Holden, one of the early settlers of Saunders county, died at his residence in Mead, Neb., Sunday at 4 o’clock a.m. Uncle John, as he was familiarly known, was born in the county of Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1839 and immigrated to Fulton, Ill., in 1866 and to Nebraska in 1868, and took up a homestead in Marble precinct, nine miles east of Wahoo. His wife and five children, Edward and Elisha of Mead, Nellie of California, Mary of Wahoo and P.J. Holden, postmaster at Yutan, Neb., and two sisters, Mrs. Lucy Falls and Mrs. Mike Coady of Wahoo, survive him. The funeral will be held tomorrow at 10 a.m. and interment at Mead Catholic cemetery.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated November 4, 1913]

Hunter, Oliver – mother of
Ashland, Neb., Feb. 10 – The aged mother of Oliver Hunter departed this life Friday last. She was one of the earliest settlers in Saunders county.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated February 11, 1895]

Return to the Saunders County Obituaries page

Return to the Saunders County home page

Return to the Nebraska state page