Obituaries - W

Wakefield, Urcella
Mrs. Urcella Wakefield, pioneer settler of Omaha, and a resident here for many years, died Monday in Wahoo at the home of a daughter, Mrs. J.M. Campbell. Mrs. Wakefield had been ill for 13 years with a complication of paralysis and other ailments. With her husband, Schuyler Wakefield, she came to Omaha in a covered wagon in 1871. Mr. Wakefield, who died a number of years ago, was a civil war veteran and was for 22 years county assessor. Mrs. Wakefield remained in Omaha until her illness began in 1913. Surviving are three children: Mrs. Campbell, Wahoo; Mrs. S. Simon of Spokane, Wash., and William J. Wakefield of Omaha. Funeral services were held Tuesday at 2:30 at the home of her daughter in Wahoo.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated September 8, 1926]

Walker, Charles
Ashland Neb.- Feb. 9, 1900
Charles Walker, 30 years old, was instantly killed last night. He had been visiting relatives in Clear Creek precinct, northwest of this city, and in company with William Bradsby and Fred Truax came to town to attend a show.
The three started home in an intoxicated condition and were running their team. On turning a sharp corner near Charles Miller’s place near the city limits they were all thrown out, Walker’s neck being broken by the fall. The other men were not seriously injured.
Walker’s home was at St. Louis, Mo. although he had been staying at Lincoln previous to coming here.
[Source: Custer County Republican - Feb. 15, 1900 edition]
[Transcribed and submitted by: Melody Beery]

Watipka, Martin
Martin Watipka, Aged and Wealthy, Uses Short Barreled Shotgun
Wahoo, Neb., Dec. 28 – This city was greatly shocked today on hearing of the suicide of two well-known residents of this county, one of whom, a man of much wealth, was mentally deranged. The other to willfully cross the river Stix, worried over a business deal which had not proved beneficial to him until, in a moment of mental gloom, he swallowed a fatal dose of poison and died in terrible agony.
The day of suicides was ushered in at 7:30 this morning, when information came to Wahoo that Martin Watipka, an aged and wealthy farmer residing six miles southeast of this city, had committed suicide by shooting himself through the heart with a short-barreled shotgun. He arose early and went out behind the chicken house where he committed the deed. Owing to numerous rabbit hunters in the neighborhood, the report of the gun was not noticed and the body was not discovered until thirty minutes later, when his daughter went to feed the chickens. Mr. Watipka was mentally unbalanced from the effect of a blow on the head several years ago. He leaves a wife and a large family of children.
The next to go by his own act was Stephen Stibic, a tailor, who succumbed to a deadly on the street at noon today. Stibic was found by Thomas Killian standing on a corner. Stibic told Killian that he had taken poison and was going to die. Soon thereafter Stibic went into convulsions and died upon the street before he could be removed indoors. The man had a long letter on his person which shows he worried much over a disastrous deal. He was 45 years of age and leaves a wife and two children.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated December 29, 1910]

Way, Frank E.
Dr. Frank E. Way Dies at Wahoo
Wahoo, Neb. – Dr. Frank E. Way, 69, a practicing physician here since 1890, died at his home Saturday night of a cerebral embolism. He suffered a stroke in 1936, but recovered.
He was born in Springfield, Vt., and was a graduate of Boston university. He served for nine years as Saunders county physician, beginning in 1891. He also was a past president of the Saunders county medical society.
Surviving are two sons, Dr. Charles W. Way of Wahoo and James Lawrence Way of Lincoln; a brother, Harry S. Way of Springfield, Mass., and four grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. at Methodist church, with Rev. William Kilburn officiating. The body will be cremated and the remains placed in a niche in the west wall of the Methodist church beside those of his wife, who died four years ago.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated February 7, 1938]

Weber, Ben
Son of Wahoo Doctor Killed in Car Crash
Ben Weber, Nebraska and Harvard Graduate, Killed in New York City Accident

Wahoo, Neb., Dec. 18 – Ben R. Weber, son of Dr. and Mrs. E.O. Weber, who was killed in an automobile accident late Saturday night in New York city, was born in Chicago in 1901, while his father was attending Rush Medical college. The family returned to Nebraska in 1902, locating at Valparaiso. They came to Wahoo in 1911.
After finishing school at Wahoo, young Weber went to the University of Nebraska, graduating in 1923 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He finished Harvard law school in 1926. At Harvard, he belonged to the Law Review club and at Nebraska he was a Phi Delta Theta, member of the Green Goblins, Iron Sphinx and the Latin club.
He was admitted to the Nebraska bar in 1926. Shortly after, he joined the law firm of Murray, Aldrich and Roberts in New York City with which he was connected at the time of his death.
Besides the parents, he leaves a sister, Mrs. Oliver Q. Adams of Lincoln, and a brother, Carl, of Wahoo. The funeral will be in Wahoo.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated December 19, 1928]

Wickland, Aaron O.
Aaron O. Wickland Is Dead at Valley
Aaron O. Wickland, 60, died last night at his home in Valley, Neb. A resident of Valley most of the time since he first moved there in 1909, he had been with the Valley stockyards about 20 years, prior to two years ago when his health began to fail after a sunstroke. He became serious on Monday.
A native of Saunders county, he grew up near Mead, Neb., where he married Glenda E. Peterson in 1901. Survivors, in addition to Mrs. Wickland, include four daughters, Mrs. Verna Lewis, Mrs. Laura Mulholland, Mrs. Inez Woodward and Ruth Wickland, all of Valley; and two sons, Oris W. of Valley and Gordon W. of North Platte. The body is at the Swanson mortuary in Valley. Services will be held Friday at 2 p.m. at the First Baptist church in Valley, and burial will be at Prospect Hill cemetery near Elkhorn.
[From the Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated February 21, 1940]

Wilde, J.S. Once Rich; Died Poor
Wahoo, Neb., Nov. 1 – A message was received by the Masonic lodge here announcing that Dr. J.S. Wilde, formerly an active member of the local order, had died at Oakland, Cal., in destitute circumstances. Doctor Wilde was formerly one of Wahoo’s wealthy citizens. He served as mayor and was prominently and actively identified with the business, social and political affairs of this city. He left Wahoo some years ago in good financial standing but lost his wealth subsequently in mining speculations in Colorado and New Mexico. A few years ago he drifted to California, a financial wreck. He is survived by a widow and daughter, who are conducting a millinery store at Oakland.
[Source: Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), dated November 2, 1916]

Winters, Henry Edward
Wahoo, Neb., Aug. 21 – Henry Winters, cashier of the Farmers and Merchants bank at Wahoo died Wednesday following a long illness with cancer of the stomach. He had spent practically all his life at Wahoo and had been identified with its interests ever since he reached the age of manhood. He served as a member of the council, school board and performed other public duties. He was prominent in fraternal circles. Mr. Winter was about forty years of age and leaves his wife and two small daughters. Funeral services will be held at the home Friday afternoon. The death is the second in the personnel which has occurred recently, of the bank. The assistant, cashier, William Dolezal, died early in the year.
[Source: Lincoln Evening Journal (Lincoln, Nebraska), dated August 21, 1919]

Henry Edward Winters, Wahoo Banker, Dies
Wahoo, Neb., Aug. 23 – All business houses in Wahoo were closed Friday afternoon during the funeral services for Henry Edward Winter, who died Wednesday. He was 44 years old and has spent practically all his life in Saunders county and most of it at Wahoo. At the time of his death, he was cashier of the Farmers and Merchants bank of Wahoo, as well as a member of the firm of Winter Brothers’ general merchandise stores at Wahoo, Valparaiso, Ceresco and Yutan.
He leaves a widow and two daughters. The funeral services were conducted under the auspices of the local Knights of Pythias lodge, assisted by representatives from the K.P. lodges of surrounding towns.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated August 24, 1919]

Wise, Albert
Wahoo, Neb., Nov. 3 – Albert Wise, an old resident of Wahoo, died Tuesday at Fort Dodge, Ia. The remains were sent to Wahoo Friday. Interment will take place Saturday.
[Source: Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), dated November 3, 1911]

Woepple, F.W.
Man Fatally Hurt By Auto Passing His Car On Road
Dr. F.W. Woepple, Wahoo, Struck as Steps Out to Inspect Radiator
Dies At a Hospital; Other Driver at Large

Dr. F.W. Woepple, 52, prominent Wahoo, Neb., physician, died at Covenant hospital at 9:15 p.m. Wednesday of injuries suffered about 11 a.m. Wednesday, when he was struck by an auto as he stepped into the road to examine the radiator of his car, which he was driving to Omaha.
Riding with him at the time was Mrs. Ben Lovegren of Wahoo, whom he was bringing to Omaha to undergo a tonsil operation, according to Dr. Rudolph Rix. Mrs. Lovegren assisted Dr. Woepple into his car, which she drove into Omaha.
The accident is said to have occurred east of the Elkhorn river bridge, on the Center street road in Douglas county. Up to an early hour this morning the sheriff’s office said it had no report of the accident and was not looking for the driver, whose names Mrs. Lovegren, who could not be reached, is said to have ascertained.
Coroner Paul Steinwender ordered the body taken to the N.P. Swanson funeral home. He said he had not decided whether an inquest would be necessary, as he had few details of the accident.
Dr. Woepple is said to have suffered head injuries and internal hurts. Mrs. Woepple, with her daughter, Louise, 20, arrived at the hospital after Dr. Woepple died.
Dr. Woepple was a graduate of the Creighton university college of medicine, and had practiced at Wahoo for 13 years.
[Source: Omaha World-Herald (Omaha, Nebraska), dated February 2, 1928]

Worrall, Mack O.
Mrs. Mack O. Worrall, 67, who lived for 60 years in the Wahoo vicinity, died at a local hospital Friday night. Her husband died in Wahoo last June 10, and surviving are four sons, a daughter and two grandchildren. Funeral services will be held in Wahoo Sunday.
[Source: Lincoln Star (Lincoln, Nebraska), dated July 11, 1936]

Return to the Saunders County Obituaries page

Return to the Saunders County home page

Return to the Nebraska state page