Sherman County - Genealogy Trails

 

 

 

 

 Biographies

 

 

 

 Hon. James W. Zink

 

 A Populist member of the lower house, was born in Sullivan County, Ind., in 1846. 

 

He has always been a farmer, and took his first homestead in Clay County, Iowa, in 1871. 

 

He moved to Nance County, this state in 1880, where he lived for eight years, going at the end of that time to Sherman County, where he has resided ever since. 

 

Mr. Zink is still farming, and is also largely engaged in stock raising. 

 

He formerly belonged to the democratic party, but was interested in the greenback movement, and later allied himself with the independents in 1890, being one of the strong promoters of the party. 

 

 He took an active part in the convention at Ravenna in 1890, being always an aggressive worker for his party. 

 

He belongs to the committees on penitentiary, and fish culture and game.

 



Biographical Sketches of the Nebraska Legislature and National and State Officers of Nebraska

By W. A. Howard, Page 210
Transcribed and Contributed by:  Vicki Hartman

 

 

William Hancock   

 

The Hancock’s were the fourteenth family to locate in Sherman County, and have always stood for the best interests and welfare of their community. William Hancock, who has spent most of his life in the county, well remembers pioneer conditions and experiences. He was born August 14, 1861, in Sullivan County, Indiana, and is a son of Samuel and Rachel (Davis) Hancock, the father a native ofGeorgia and of Irish extraction, and the mother a native ofOhio, of German descent. Samuel Hancock, who was an orderly sergeant in the union army during the civil war, brought his family toSherman county in 1873, and secured a homestead, where he spent his remaining days. His wife died in 1887 and he in 1900. William is the fifth of eight children, and he has one brother inColorado, a brother and two sisters inNebraska, two sisters inCalifornia, and a sister inOregon.

 

William Hancock received most of his education before coming toNebraska, and there learned to help with improving and operating the land. As a young man, he spent some time in construction work for the B. & M. and the Union Pacific railroads, and later engaged in farming on his own account. His first purchase of land was one hundred and sixty acres, which he secured in 1895, later owning and operating various farms, and in 1905 he bought his present estate of one hundred and sixty acres of land in section twenty-nine, township fourteen, range fifteen, where he has erected a very comfortable residence and other buildings, and made many needed improvements. His land is now in a high state of cultivation, and he is accounted one of the most successful farmers of the vicinity, being widely and favorably known, as he is one of the oldest settlers in the county. He has always been much interested in the cause of education and other movements for the public welfare, and for the past ten years has served school district number thirteen as school treasurer.

 

Mr. Hancock was married at Loup City, May 11, 1892, to Miss Cora Castner, who was born in Ohio, a daughter of Elijah and Eliza (Kitchen) Castner, both of German descent, the former a native of New Jersey and the latter of Ohio. Her father died inPennsylvania in 1899, and her mother inOhio in 1877. She has two brothers inPennsylvania, a brother inOhio, and a sister inSherman county,Nebraska.

 

Nine children have blessed the union of Mr. Hancock and wife, all at home, namely: Harold L., Earl S., Arthur L., Cecil J., Sadie G., Hemple M., Fern H., Ernest W. and Russell. For two years after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Hancock lived in a sod house before building a frame dwelling.

 

In politics Mr. Hancock is a democrat. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and the Degree of Honor.

 

 

Compendium of History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska, 1912,

Submitted by:   CD=FOFG

 

Judge Walter Moon   

 

Judge Walter Moon, one of the early settlers ofNebraska, and now a resident ofSherman County, in earlier days experienced the usual hardships and privations of the pioneer. He is honored as a veteran of the civil war and is highly esteemed as an upright, public-spirited citizen, who has served in various offices of public honor and trust.

 

He was born in St. Lawrence County.New York, January 25, 1835, son of Orange B. and Margaret (Wing) Moon, being the third of their ten children in order of birth. The father who was of French-English extraction, was born inVermont, and his death occurred atLaPorte,Iowa, in the spring of 1890. The mother, also a native ofVermont, was of English and Welsh descent, and her death occurred in LaPorte in 1897. When about ten years old, Walter Moon accompanied his parents toIllinois, where he received a liberal education and reached manhood, after which he engaged in farming.

 

He was married December 20, 1855, in Kane County,Illinois, to Mary C. Harris, of Canadian birth, who died atForestville,Iowa, in October, 1856, less than one year after marriage. In the spring of 1856 Mr. Moon removed toIowa and engaged in farming there. October 29, 1859, he married Sarah A. Gilbert, ofNew York birth, then living inIowa, and they continued to live there until the spring of 1873. They then came to Sherman County and secured a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres of land, three miles west of Loup City, where they lived until 1885, when Mr. Moon was elected county judge and moved to Loup City. Prior to that time he had been appointed to fill the unexpired term of his predecessor. Later he served several years as county surveyor, and in each capacity acquitted himself with credit to himself and his office.

 

In early days he was instrumental in organizing school district number fourteen, and served on the school board many years. He has always been actively interested in and closely identified with the upbuilding and development ofSherman County, and stands for progress along all lines of endeavor. He is one of the best known men in his part of the state and has the confidence and regard of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.

 

His wife died January 18, 1893, atLoup City, survived by her husband and four daughters. She and her husband had lost a son prior to her death. The four daughters of Judge Moon are as follows: Mary C, wife of G. P. Callaham, lives in Sioux County,Nebraska, and they have two children; Kate B., wife of Dr. A. S. Main, lives atLoup City; Lydia A., wife of Edwin Angier, ofLoup City, has two children; and Effie M., of Sioux County,Nebraska.

 

In 1908 Judge Moon removed to Sioux County, where he homesteaded four hundred and eighty acres of land, under the Kincaid Act, on which he now lives. He has a vivid recollection of the trying experiences of early frontier life, but does not regret identifying himself with the region in which he has witnessed so remarkable a chance and period of development during the past forty years.

 

His service in the Civil War began July 28, 1862, when he enlisted as a member of Company H, of the Twenty-first Iowa Infantry. He served until the close of the war and was discharged atClinton,Iowa, reaching home July 28, 1865. The important engagements in which he participated were: Port Gibson, Champion Hill, Big Black River, Siege of Vicksburg, campaign of Spanish Fort andMobile, and numerous skirmishes. He acquitted himself worthily and is entitled to look back with pride on his record.

 

Mr. Moon lived but a short time in the pioneer soddy, but occupied a log house two winters in Sherman County, as well as living in that kind of a dwelling in Iowa and Illinois.

 

He is a republican in politics and a member of the Methodist church and of the Grand Army of the Republic.

 

 

Compendium of History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska, 1912,

Submitted by:   CD=FOFG

 

Henry Jenner   

 

It is probable that among the early settlers ofNebraska there is not a one who is more widely known than the above, who is now a resident ofLoup City. He came to this county in 1883, and since that time has made it his home. For more than a quarter of a century he has lived inLoup City, and during this long period of time he has accomplished many things for the city. It is indebted to him for Jenner's Park, one of the well-known resorts of the locality, and much of its progress in other ways can be traced to his enterprise and public spirit.

 

Henry Jenner was born inLondon,England, on the 14th of March, 1861, and was the second of eight children born to Henry and Jemima Garches (Bond) Jenner. But of this large family, five of the children are still living—three sisters inEngland and one brother, Robert, inLoup City. Both parents died in the old country.

 

Mr. Jenner received his elementary education under private instructors, and after spending seven years in the famous school at Eaton, entered King's College inLondon, where he remained four years. After leaving this college, he engaged in the business of brewing for three years.

 

In 1882, he came toAmerica, sailing from Liverpool toNew York in the "City ofChester," and located inSherman County,Nebraska. The next year, in company with his brother, Robert Bond Jenner, he bought three hundred and twenty acres of land, about seven miles south of Loup City, where they lived for five years, then sold and moved to town, where Mr. Jenner engaged in the creamery business in partnership with H. M. Mathew.

 

In September, 1892, Mr. Jenner married Miss Laura Lee Smith, a native ofTennessee. Her father, Andrew Jackson Smith, came toSherman County,Nebraska, in 1879. His wife, who was Loania V. V. Norton before marriage, followed with the children the next spring. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Jenner — Constance, Henry and Robert.

 

Mr. Jenner is one of the younger men among the early settlers, but his liberal education and natural progressiveness have tended to make him remarkable among the sturdy pioneers. He has always been interested in all measures tending to the betterment of the conditions in his adopted home, and has not hesitated to give freely of both time and means in order to accomplish the end sought. For fourteen years he served as water commissioner, superintending the municipal water works.

 

About 1898, he purchased some land adjoining the city limits, seven acres of which he has devoted to a private amusement and zoological park, known as Jenner's Park. He now has about two hundred animals of various kinds here, and many interesting curios from many parts of the world. Besides these, there are all kinds of devices for amusing both young and old, a splendid dancing and refreshment pavilion, etc. The grounds are beautified by the many and rare flowers, which are kept in the finest possible order, as well as the many tiny ponds filled with hundreds of darting, flashing gold fish. It is a park which would do credit to a much larger city thanLoup City.

 

Mr. Jenner's long residence in this city, together with his remarkable personality, have made it possible for him to come in contact with many hundreds of people, and he is respected by every one with whom he has an acquaintance.

 

Mr. Jenner was reared in the Episcopal church. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias order and of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he is a republican.

 

 

Compendium of History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska, 1912,

Submitted by:   CD=FOFG

 

 

 

James W. Johnson   

 

James W. Johnson, a successful stock and grain farmer of section twenty-nine, township fourteen, range fifteen,Sherman county,Nebraska, is widely and favorably known as a man of affairs and influence in his community. He has spent most of his life inNebraska, and is one of the younger men among the state's early settlers.

 

Mr. Johnson was born atNewton,Iowa, July 24, 1866, and is a son of Robert and Mary (Watson) Johnson, third in a family of ten children. The father is mentioned at length else where in this work. Five sons—George E., Walter, Frank, Charles and Ernest—live in Valley County,Nebraska. Three daughters—Mrs. Maggie Van Scoy, Mrs. Fanny Sample and Mrs. Kate Paulser —live in Valley county.

 

At the age of twelve years, James W. Johnson came with his parents to Hall County,Nebraska, where the family remained three years, then moved to Valley County, where the father secured a homestead, on which he still resides. The son received his early education inIowa, and grew to manhood on his father's farm, learning all kinds of farm work.

 

In 1889, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in Sherman County, which he operated for sixteen years, and in 1905 secured the one hundred and forty-acre farm where he now lives. He erected a very comfortable home, and otherwise improved the place, bringing it to a high state of cultivation.

 

He has always taken an active interest in public affairs in his community, and has served many years as a member of the school board, being now director of district number thirteen, and he has also served as township clerk.

 

March 2, 1902, Mr. Johnson married Miss Frances Huckelberry, a native ofMarion County,Illinois, daughter of Philip and Matilda (Hewett) Huckelberry, both also born inIllinois. Her father died inSherman County in 1904, and her mother now resides in Burt County,Nebraska. Mr. Huckelberry and wife had eight children, those besides Mrs. Johnson being: a daughter in Indiana, a daughter inIllinois, two sons and two daughters inNebraska, and one son inIllinois.

 

To Mr. Johnson and wife three children have been born, namely: Alta M., a student in theSt. Paul Business College; Mata, a student in the same institution; and Ellen Marie at home.

 

Mr. Johnson is a populist in political faith, and, fraternally, a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.

 

On his firstSherman County farm, Mr. Johnson lived for eight years in true pioneer style before building a modern frame dwelling.

 

 

Compendium of History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska, 1912,

Submitted by:   CD=FOFG

 

 

 

Barney McDowell   

 

(Deceased.)

 

The McDowell’s were pioneers inSherman County and are of the few families who still own the original homestead secured upon their coming to the region. They have done much toward the development and advancement of the community and have always stood for its best interests. The late Barney McDowell was well known throughout the county as an industrious farmer and a public-spirited citizen, who was always ready to do his duty in every relation of life. He was a true friend and kind neighbor much esteemed for his sterling qualities.

 

He was born inEngland and his wife inNew Orleans,Louisiana, whence her father returned toEngland after a sojourn in the southern states. They were married atWhitehaven, England, in 1860, and came to theUnited States about 1866, moving fromPennsylvania to Harrison County,Iowa, in 1877.

 

In the fall of 1882 Mr. McDowell went toSherman County and secured a homestead comprising the southeast quarter of section six, township sixteen, range sixteen. The following spring Mr. McDowell and his family located in theirNebraska home.

 

Mr. McDowell improved and developed a fine farm, and the home place now contains three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land. He lived there the remainder of his life and passed away May 5, 1910, survived by his wife and six children. He was in his eightieth year, and his widow, though in advanced years, is well and active, and lives on the farm with her sons, Barney and James, who manage the place. One daughter, Bessie, is teaching in the district schools. The oldest daughter, Mary, is the wife of Edward McDowell, a sketch of whom appears in this work, and their farm adjoins the McDowell farm on the south. The other two daughters are Kate, wife of Phil Lynch, of Custer County, and Nellie, Mrs. John Sweeney, also of Custer County. The family are well known and popular in social circles and have many friends.

 

 

Compendium of History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska, 1912,

Submitted by:   CD=FOFG

 


Edwin P. Rounds   

Resides about three miles west of Molson (WA), on Tamarack slope. He is an enterprising man who settled here on October 10, 1900, at the time the reservation opened. He has remained here since and has given himself to the good labor of improving his farm and is one of the substantial men of the community. His place is well supplied with water, fences, good outbuildings, and an eight room residence. In addition to this Mr. Rounds owns a good residence in Meyers Falls, Washington, and some other property. Edwin P. Rounds was born in Monona County, Iowa, on October 3, 1868, the son of Jacob H. and Phoebe (Quigley) Rounds. The father was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1823. Our subject's paternal grandfather owned a vessel which was lost at sea, with the entire crew and cargo. The Rounds family in this country is traced back to two brothers, who landed on Plymouth Rock from the Mayflower, in 1620. The mother of our subject was born in Illinois in 1827, and is now making her home with him. To this worthy couple, nine children have been born, seven of whom are living, as follows, Dennis, Andrew J., Jacob H., John, Mrs. Charity Hutchinson, Mrs. Catherine Dunham, and Edwin P., our subject. The family moved to Osburn County, Kansas, in 1870, then to Sherman County, Nebraska, in 1878, and in 1886, they came to the Colville Valley, where the father took a homestead near Meyers Falls. On July 26, 1892, Mr. Rounds married Miss Elizabeth J., daughter of Thomas and Mary (Morris) Weed, natives of New York. She was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, and came with her parents to the Colville Valley in 1888. Her father was a harness maker and farmer, and is now living on the homestead near Meyers Falls, which he took when he came here, being a well-to-do citizen. Mr. and Mrs. Weed have eight children: Charles, James, Harvey, Mrs. Rounds, Cooper, Stephen, Raymond, and Burnette. On account of the poor health of his wife, and also his father, our subject and his wife together with his parents made an extended tour of the southwestern part of the United States, and Old Mexico, by wagon, visiting the most noted places in this section of the country, and continuing on the road for several years. The wife was greatly improved in health but the father died at Adam, California, and was buried there by the Masons. Then they turned homeward, arriving in Meyers Falls in 1897. As stated above, in 1900, Mr. Rounds took his present place, and has since been known as one of the progressive and good substantial citizens of Okanogan County. Mr. and Mrs. Rounds have adopted one child, Ethel.

 

 

Source:  "An illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington" Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904

Transcribed by:   Helen Coughlin

 

 

 

 

Back

Home

Next