White Pine County, Nevada
1874 Businesses in Mineral City
HILP, Henry - With his brother Fred owned largest mercantile establishment Henry was also the postmaster.
SWARTZ, Mr. - Had a men's furnishing store.
JONES, Sam - Had a saloon.
MOSS, Billy - With IRVINE, Jack had a saloon.
STORER, Mose - Had a saloon and gambling house with a faro bank of $5000
BACON, Frank - He was the dealer in the Storer's gambling operation.
TYLER, George - He was the lookout for Storer.
CAROTHERS, Joseph S. - He was engaged in mining and assaying, and was a candidate for sheriff in 1878
RAUM, Ed - A republican, he defeated Carothers, served four terms.
WALSH, Judge - Well known pioneer, operated a small smelter near town. He leased the furnace and mine from the Canton Mining Co.
KNOX, George - He had a contract from Walsh to mine the ore.
SNELL, Ben - He was head man at the smelter.
PEROULT, Joe - Step-son to Snell, was one of the engineers at the smelter.
BECKWITH, Charlie - He was also an engineer for Snell
HANNIGAN, Tom - BOYCE, Billy and TRAVIS, Abe in the winter of 1876 they took twenty tons of ore per day from a pocket in the old Elijah mine, for Snell.
SILLYMAN, Tom - Hauled the ore from the mill to the smelter. He was recently laid to rest in the Ely Cemetery.
AULTMAN, Mr. - With SAXTON, Mr. were the leading stockholders of the Canton Mining Co., they also built the little smelter.
MCKINLEY, Wm. - President of the U.S., invested $80,000 in the Robinson District.
YATES, Mrs. Fanny - An early settler in the district, had an hotel and a restaurant.
YATES, Mrs. Fanny - She was the first to build in and start the town of Ward in 1875, erecting what was the leading hotel there. She had two daughters, Mollie and Julia FOUTS in Mills Seminary, California. They returned to the Robinson Dist. after finishing their college and musical education.
BROOKS, Dr. - Was for many years the only physician in the district. With the aid of Boston capital he built the stamp mill and started the town of Silver Canyon (Aurum), in the latter '70s.
BELL, "Doc" - He drove the stage from Cherry Creek to Mineral City in November 1874. The stage left Cherry Creek at one a.m. taking breakfast at the Nat LUCE ranch 30 miles away, Change of stages was made at Mineral City.
CONDON, John - Took charge of the stage at Mineral City, reaching SCHECKEL's station for dinner and arriving at Hamilton at seven p.m. From 1880 to 1882, he served as a legislator in the lower house. He introduced only one bill, an appropriation for $300 for stationery for members of the house.
GLEASON, Mat - He was also a leader in Mineral City at this time, operating a hotel.
MOSIER, Sam - An old-timer, was county commissioner in the '70s. He owned a ranch near the sink of Steptoe Creek, loved fast horses and was a breeder and owner of two noted racers, Harry and Sooner. At Mr. Mosier's death the ranch was sold to Henry HILP, and later sold to Mart GUPTIL.
LOWERY, A. T. - A respected citizen of Mineral City, owned the next ranch above MOSIER, and later sold it to Jake SHALLENBERGER in the '70s. Lowery ran for assessor in 1874 but was defeated by John WILLIAMSON of Hamilton.
RAGSDALE, John - "Uncle John", resided in Robinson Canyon a virtually deserted camp. He was totally blind. One of the oldest pioneers of the state, he had thousands of friends, and was engaged in freighting between Toano and Mineral City. He later was injured while working one of his mining claims in the late '70s, finally losing the sight in both eyes in spite of the efforts of specialists to save his sight.
COX, - A one-eyed man
WATSON, A. R. - "Buckskin", was also blind in one eye. These three men never lost their confidence in the Robinson district. Mr. Watson predicted that Robinson Canyon would be flourishing when grass is growing the the streets of Ward and Taylor. (Mr.Watson and Ragsdale did not live to see the prosperous days return.)
SNOOKS, Dave - Known as "Shotgun Dave." He could work smaller mules and more of them to one string of wagons than any other freighter on the road.
FORREST, Al - Dave SNOOKS traveling partner. He and Arthur MOORE, and Al FOREST were caught one night in a flash flood caused by a cloud-burst in the mountains many miles west.
CRARY, William - An early settler, one of the discoverers of Lake District in the early '70s.
THOMPSON, Joseph - "Tamerlane Joe", one of the locators of Tamerland town-site, in '72 or '73. Locating and relocating old claims of the district until 1886 or 1887, when he sold all the timber rights from his claims.
BONNIFIELD, John - A prospector for years in the district was constable and night watchman at Mineral City. He was the first to start placer mining in the district.
HENDERSON, Jakie - He was aother of the old-time prospectors who stayed with district for years but was finally forced to hunt new fields.
ROACH, Sam and Dick FOSSETT - ran the livery stable and a black-smithing and wagon making shop.
BASSETT, W. R. - He was a saloon keeper.
FEATHERSTONE, Harry - Located the Keystone mine, kept the station, post-office, and a little eating house down on the creek where Ely is now located. The postoffice and station were called Murray Creek until the legislature in 1885 made the appropriation to build the courthouse, with the name of Ely for the townsite.
BURCHERT, John - of Rabbit Creek, Mrs. RAWLINS, (who married William GARRISON in the early '80s had ranches South of Cherry Creek. William GARRISON was shot and killed by Jim STRANGE at Cherry Creek on election night in November 1882. Mrs. Garrison later married David BIGGS, who died at Duck Creek in the early '90s. Mrs.Biggs, who spent most of her life in White Pine County, engaged in ranching and stock-raising. She not only managed her business affairs successfully, but raised a large family of children, all of whom were a great credit to the community.
GOODRICH, C. F. - Settled at the Hotsprings, 18 miles south of Cherry Creek
SHEPARD, Victor - Also settled at the Hotsprings
PERLEY, D. W. - Served in the state senate at Carson in the late '70s, owned what is now the D. W. CAMPBELL ranch, and had it stocked with California horses and cattle.
LUCE, Nat - Owned a ranch in the same section.
Mr. GREEN - In 1874, lived on what was later know as the Nat Luce ranch.
MITCHEL & LYONS - Lived at this time at what was later known as the OLE HANSON ranch.
MOLLISON, H. P. - He was one of the earlist settler of Steptoe Valley and was one of our best citizens.
Mike, Tom & Pat FREEHILL, Calvin WALLACK, P. M. REISCH, Jerry KENT, B. B BIRD, and John BERRY, who later had a sawmill at Berry Creek, a tributary of Duck Creek.
BATEMAN, Mr. - He owned the ranch at the mouth of the canyon.
GALLAGHER, W. C. - He was thought to have purchase the BATEMAN ranch.
OGDEN, Mr. - And many others were engaged in raising barley at that time.
GALLAGHER and COWGER - had ranches
MOFFATT, Mr. and GOSSETT, Perry - familiarly known as MOFF and GOSS were the leading freighters in the early days of Pioche, Mineral City. Both operated ox and mule teams, oxen only being used during the summer grazing period. Freight by oxen cost $50 a ton, and by mules cost $75 to $100. When the Utah southern was extended to Juab, MOFFATT and GOSSETT, moved to the Cornucopia mining district north of Tuscarora, Elko County. Mr. GOSSETT died in the late '80s.
Just across the valley eighteen miles from Cherry Creek, was in the early '70s a prosperous camp, but by 1874 the camp's population was about 150. many of the people having moved to Egan, Eureka and Cherry Creek.
BURKE, William - One of the old timers who stayed on. He took up a farm and was in the farming and cattle business. He was fondly called Uncle Billy, and was a resident of the state for several years. In 1882 he ran on the Democratic ticket for Lieut. Governor, with Jewett W. ADAMS, but was defeated by Charlie LAUGHTON, the fiddler from Carson. Mr. and Mrs. Burke raised a large family of children, who proved a credit to their parents.
DICKINSON, Mr. - He ran the El Capitan mill at Cherry Creek. He later played a part in the old camps of Ruby and Centerville.
ANDREWS, Tom - One of the original locators of the Ruby Hill district.
LAWLER, W. B. - Owned some of the richest and best claims in the district. He and his wife were the only people left in 1886. He was judged to be one of the best judges of ore in the state. He sold his holdings at Ruby Hill for a large sum to Boston interests. He and Mrs. Lawler later traveled in France and Germany. He later lost his eyesight.
WATSON, W. A. - A friend of LAWLER, they went to gether in the Cocomungo mines in the Egan range, south of Egan canyon.
BASSETT, Frank and COE, N. C. - at Muncy Creek, ten miles south of Aurum, also a short-lived camp, in the '70s and '80s gave promise of being a great copper camp, but the promise was unfulfilled.
MCNULTY, Jim - Was in the hotel and mercantile business in Muncy Creek, and one of the last men to leave the town.
SANFORD, Ben and DAVIS, Simon - stayed in the district and did a good trade with stockmen through the county. They prospected and had great success. In 1889 they hauled 300 tons of high-grade silver ore by freight team to Wells, and then sent it over the So. Pacific and Oregon Short Line to Salt Lake.
FELSENTHAL, Dave - Ordered and received a shipment of hams and bacon from Omaha, to Taylor, Nevada.
MCGILL, W. N. - Ordered a threshing machine from Chicago delivered to him.
WEBER, John - Ordered a barrel of whisky from Covington, KY., delivered to his sidewalk in Ely.
Pioneers of Spring Valley
In the early '70s it was considered by far the best watered grazing land in the state.
ODGERS Brothers Thomas and Charles, in the valley north of the Cleveland ranch.
BASSETT, Manton -
O'NEILL, R. C. -
CAMERON, Jake -
MCCURDY, James -
FLANAGAN, Pat -
KEELAN, Michael - He had was was known as the Keelan and Flanagan ranch.
OLMSTEAD, Lou - He was also South of Cleveland's ranch.
RUTHERFORD, Mr. - He was also South of Cleveland's ranch as was George SWALLOW.
SAMPSON, Jim - With the three Bews Brothers he was first employed in the Star mine at Cherry Creek in the late '70s and early '80s. While working in the mine he acquired a few sheep, and his wife herded them around Star Hill (Cherry Creek). Starting with less than 50, by 1889 he had shipped 200,000 pounds of wool to the Boston market.
OTHER SHEEP MEN:
KEEGAN, Pat -
DOUTRE brothers -
PIERCE and QUICK - made large shipments of wool also.
BEWS Brothers - Jim, Tom, and Harry. Jim Bews was a close second to Sampson in output. Harry Bews also made large shipments.
TIPPETT, Mr. -
MCCURDY, Bill - (All of the above men grew rich in the sheep business.)
SIMONSON, Dan - Old time settler and rancher in the northern part of the valley. This spot is of historical importance for its connection with the star route mail fraud cases, where U. S. Senator SPENCER of Alabama sought refuge in 1882 when he was eluding federal agents who sought him as a witness against Senator DORSEY. Spencer, not wishing to appear as a witness, disappeared. With his wife he went into hiding in Centerville.
SPENCER, Mrs. - A southern authoress, she contributed a great deal of the literary effort in the book called "Ann Eliza," written by one of Brigham young's ex-wives, and which purported to be an expose of Mormonism.
Mail Fraud Cases
GILMER & SALISBURY - Under the DORSEY regime, these two men collected $48,000 a year for carrying the mail six times a week between Hamilton and Pioche.
WASHBURN, George and ELLISON, George - Were what was known as straw bondsmen, each being on the GILMER & SALISBURY bond for $60,000. WASHBURN'S total assets at that time were two yoke of oxen and a small vegetable garden in the north end of White River valley. ELLISON was holding down a squatter's homestead and had not a dollar's worth of tangible property.
RILEY, Jim - He was postmaster at Hamilton, the salary being $3200 dollars a year, as a second class post office.
CARPENTER, Harvey - Possibly a brother-in-law to Riley. They were engaged in business in Hamilton in 1875, operating under the firm name of Carpenter and Riley. The Western Union telegraph office was located in their store. They also handled stock reports in connection with Homer KING and Company, a San Francisco brokerage house.
TRAVIS, E. J. (Jot) - He succeeded GILMER and SALISBURY in the operation of stage lines along in the '80s.
Senator DORSEY - Sold one of his Arizona ranches and stock for $450,000.
Early Days of Cherry Creek
MCDERMID, F. A. - Opened one of the first general merchandise stores in the early '70s, with Gilbert DARLING, under the firm name of McDermid and Company. Both men were of the rugged and honest pioneer type.
SPENCER, A.J. and FRANK, R.A. - bought the McDermid business in the latter '70s, and conducted business under the name of Spencer & Frank.
THATCHER, George and Company with Ed RAUM and A. M. VANDERLIP owned and operated a large mercantile business for years.
RAUM, Ed - One of the most popular men in White Pine, County, he was elected Sheriff in 1874 on the Republican ticket and held the office for four successive terms.
VANDERLIP, A. M. - He was an excellent business man and expert accountant. After the firm disposed of its business in 1884, he went to Ventura County, California. He ran for county auditor. The election ended in a tie, but in a special election he won by an overwhelming majority.
KENNEDY, George - He operated a general store from the '70s to his death in the '90s.
GRAY, O. H. - He was in the mercantile business with Daniel R. COLLINS. The postoffice was in the store. Mr. GRAY represented White Pine County in the lower branch of the legislature in 1877, and in 1883. Elected secretary of state as a republican in 1890. Later in the'90s he was in the patent office in Washington. he died in Washington.
COLLINS, Uncle Dan - He held the postoffice in Cherry Creek 1874 to his death.
WEARNE, John - He had a feed stable and engaged in supplying the mines.
PARKER, George F. - Another old-time resident, he owned the waterworks which supplied the town. He was elected to the lower house of the legislature in 1880.
WEBER, Pete - Another early-day business man, owned more business and residential property than any other man in the town. When the crash of 1883 came Mr. Weber moved to Idaho.
WEBER, Uncle Jake - and his two sons, P.C. (Boss), and Johnnie, were for years successful business men to the community and numbered their friends by the hundred. "Boss" Weber was for years one of the leaders of the democratic party in the county. "Boss" played the political game and had the reputation of never havng betrayed a friend and every man who ran on the Democratic ticket were ready to swear by him. The public service of Johnnie WEBER, speaks for his honesty. Uncle Jake was extremely partisan in politics.
HANCOCK, Mr. - A republican from Aurum, attempted to vote at the democratic primary and aroused the wrath of Uncle Jake, who drove away the visitor with a cane and with several good blows.
SISSON, J. F. - He was engaged in blacksmithing and wagon business, very successful until the crash of 1883, when he left for Chamberlain, SD where he had a flour milling business for many years.
FILMORE, William - Another old-timer was engaged in the same business and later went to San Francisco to make his future home.
MCDONALD, Alex - (Little Alex) one of the earliest settlers, was in the blacksmithing business. After making a stake he returned to his old home in Nova Scotia.
HENRY, James - He was the town officer for years during the early days, and owned and ran a saloon in Cherry Creek for many years.
CORCORAN, Michael - He owned the only brewery in town, in connection with his saloon.
STEWART, James - Another popular saloon-keeper, with the reputation of being the best and most courteous saloonman in the county.
TAYLOR, Uncle Joe - He did a sort of brokerage and check-cashing business in connection with his saloon, there being no bank in the town he was depended on to provide cash and handle all mine checks. He was very popular due to his jovial personality.
ROBERTS, J. H. - He was superintendent and general manager of the Exchequer mine.
SMITH, Ed - He held the same position at the Tea Cup mine.
WEBER, Pete and Ed CROWLEY, and a dozen others at the time of the 1883 crash went to the Coeur d'Alenes in Idaho.
QUINN, John - Went to Needles, California.
WARD, Mr. - He was a partner of Wilson BROUGHER in business went to Salt Lake City.
BROUGHER, Wilson - He went to Belmont, Nevada, where he was later elected county clerk, and later county recorder, until the discovery of Tonopah, where he went with his brother, and managed to amass a comfortable fortune. Leaving Tonopah he purchased the Arlington hotel at Carson City, the chief hotel.
MACAULEY, A. - Another of Cherry Creek's business men, bought out the business of George KENNEDY in the early '90s. He was a good friend and honest competitor in business.
FILLMORE, Rufus - An old settler was a resident of Cherry Creek for over 40 years, one of White Pine's most honored citizens.
FRANK, Hughie - With other old-timers, listed next, stayed continuously.
NUCKELS, A. R. - at the old camp, until the death of Mr. Pierce several years ago.
CANNON, Pete - One of the town's earlies settlers, was in business and was postmaster awhile during Grover Cleveland's administration.
SUNBERG, Adolph - A popular business man, who was once a miner, and had many friends.
MOORE, Joseph L. - One of the earliest settlers and best known residents of Cherry Creek and Egan Canyon, was engaged in business in Egan as early as 1874. Later moved to Cherry Creek,engaging in the butcher business.
BOYLE, Michael F. - He came to Cherry Creek in the early '80s from Eberhardt. He had been in the dairy business, and owned a ranch in the foothills south of Schellbourne until in the '90s. He served two terms as county commissioner, and worked hand in hand with Crane GALLAGHER, M. B. GARAGHAN and John b. WILLIAMS, for many years in the interest of the taxpayers. His health broke down in the latter '90s and he moved to Salt Lake City where he died.
SNINE, Timothy - He came to Cherry Creek in 1880 and engaged in the saloon business. He had a large following and was to be reckoned with in politics.
EGAN Canyon Boys - made Shine's saloon their headquarters while in Cherry.
CLEVELAND, A. C. - He used to say that the hardest factions he had to contend with in county politics were the Boss WEBER corner and Tim SHINE'S Irish reservation at Cherry Creek.
CARLSON, John A. - A beardless boy of 18 reached Cherry Creek in 1881 or 1882, coming from Sweded with John MAGNUSON. Neither could speak English but they had an old country friend named JOHNSON, who owned an ox team and was engaged in hauling wood. The two boys got a job driving the oxen, and as soon as the animals learned Swedish cusswords the country looked better to Mr.Carlson. He later came to be one of the fore- most citizens of the county.
YELLAND, John - Also a young boy, came to Cherry in 1880. Josh, as he was best known thought there was one thing lacking in America, the girl he had left behind in England. He sent for her and they were married in Salt Lake City, and raised a family of two boys and two girls, who proved a credit to their parents. When the world war broke out one of the Yellland boys left the state with the first contingent and was one of the first Nevada boys to give his life for his country.
FOPPIANO, A. - Another early resident to Cherry Creek in 1880, Tony sent back to his native land for his sweetheart as soon as possible and raised a family who, like himself are 100% American.
MCDONALD, A. - Began business in Cherry Creek in the early'80s, when he bought out the blacksmith shop of J. F. SISSON. He sent to Nova Scotia for his sweetheart and they married at Cherry Creek.
WAH, Charles - One of the first to settle in Cherry Creek, he started the first eatinghouse, and for 50 years has been identified with the community. He grubstaked out many prospectors, fed more penniless men, and done much to built up Cherry Creek. The writer is proud to call the well-known China- his friend.