We regret that we are
perform personal research for anybody.
Grafton County was formed in 1769
Grafton was one five original counties. It was named for Augustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton, who had been a supporter of American causes in Parliament, and who was serving as British Prime Minister at the time. The county was organized at Woodsville in 1771, and originally included the entire northern frontier of New Hampshire, including a number of towns that are now in Vermont. In 1803, the northern area was removed for the formation of Coos County.
The county seat is North Haverhill, which is a village within the Town of Haverhill. Until 1972, the county courthouse and other offices were located in downtown Woodsville (another village within the Town of Haverhill). The new courthouse is less than two miles from Woodsville.
May 14, 1936
NORTH VIEW FROM THE ORFORD SHORE
Grafton county is the home of Dartmouth College and Plymouth State University. Grafton County is heavily rural. About half of its total area is in the White Mountain National Forest, the state's only National Forest. The Appalachian Trail passes through parts of at least ten towns in the county. It is a rural county and is the second largest county geographically, covering nearly one-fifth of the state
Cities and Towns
Alexandria * Ashland * Bath * Benton * Bethlehem * Bridgewater * Bristol * Campton * Canaan * Dorchester * Easton * Ellsworth * Enfield * Franconia * Grafton * Groton * Hanover * Haverhill * Hebron * Holderness * Landaff * Lebanon * Lincoln * Lisbon * Littleton * Livermore * Lyman * Lyme * Monroe * Orange * Orford * Piermont * Plymouth * Rumney * Sugar Hill * Thornton * Warren * Waterville Valley * Wentworth * Woodstock * Woodsville