Welcome to Genealogy Trails!


Sherman ADAMS
ADAMS, Sherman, a Representative from New Hampshire; born in East Dover, Windham County, Vt., January 8, 1899; as an infant moved with his parents to Providence, R.I.; attended the public schools of Providence; served in the United States Marine Corps during the First World War; was graduated from Dartmouth College, Hanover, N.H., in 1920; engaged in the lumber business in Healdville, Vt., in 1921 and 1922 and in the paper and lumber business in Lincoln, N.H., 1923-1944; also engaged in banking; member of the New Hampshire house of representatives 1941-1944, serving as speaker in 1943 and 1944; chairman of the Grafton County Republican Committee 1942-1944; delegate to the Republican National Conventions in 1944 and 1952; elected as a Republican to the Seventy-ninth Congress (January 3, 1945-January 3, 1947); was not a candidate for renomination in 1946 but was an unsuccessful Republican candidate for the gubernatorial nomination; engaged as a representative of the American Pulpwood Industry in New York City 1946-1948; Governor of New Hampshire January 1, 1949-January 1, 1953; appointed The Assistant to President Eisenhower January 21, 1953, and served until his resignation September 22, 1958; engaged in writing and lecturing; established a ski resort in 1966 and was president and chairman of the board of Loon Mountain Corporation; was a resident of Lincoln, N.H., until his death in Hanover, N.H., October 27, 1986.

Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present
Contributed by aFoFG (an)

OSCAR G. BARNES, secretary and general manager of the Fargo Gas & Electric Company and ex-sheriff' of Cass county, is one of the leading and prosperous business men of the city. He is a man of strong force of character, purposeful and energetic, and carried forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes.
Mr. Barnes was born in Grafton county, New Hampshire, April 18, 1855, and is a son of Hiram and Esther B. (Gillette) Barnes, who were natives of Vermont, but spent the greater part of their lives in New Hampshire, where the father's death occurred. By occupation the father was a merchant and farmer. Our subject is one of a family of eight children, five sons and three daughters, and is the only one of the number living in North Dakota. His education was acquired in his native state, where he attended high school.
On leaving home Mr. Barnes went to Boston, Massachusetts, where he engaged in the hotel business for five years, and the following five years he spent in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1882 he came to Fargo, North Dakota, and entered the employ of J. B. Weaver & Company, with whom he was interested in the real estate business for nearly two years. Later he was connected with the Fargo foundry as superintendent for some years, and on leaving that concern started in business on his own account, carrying on the same until 1886, when appointed deputy sheriff under J. D. Benton. After serving in that capacity for six years he was elected sheriff in 1892 and most creditably filled that office for two terms of two years each. He was then elected to the county board of commissioners and is now chairman of the same. In the discharge of his official duties he has always been found prompt and faithful, winning the commendation of the general public and the high regard of all law abiding citizens. He is now vice-president of the Merchants National Bank of Fargo, a member of its board of directors and also owns stock in other leading business enterprises.
In 1890 Mr. Barnes was married, in Wisconsin, to Miss Anna Cassaday, a native of that state, and to them have been born two children, Carroll O. and Esther E., both living. Socially Mr. Barnes is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Loyal Knights. Politically he has always affiliated with the Republican party, has served on the county central committee and been chairman of the city central committee. He is quite prominent and influential in business circles and is highly respected and esteemed by all who know him.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Renae Capitanio]

Laura Dewey Bridgman
BRIDGMAN, Miss Laura Dewey, blind deaf-mute, born in Hanover, N. H , 21st December, 1829. died in South Boston. Mass., 24th May, 1889. Her parents were Daniel and Harmony Bridgman. Laura was a delicate infant and subject to severe convulsions. Her health improved until she was two years old. at which age she was a very active and intelligent child, able to talk and familiar with some letters of the alphabet. As she was entering her third year, the family were smitten by the scarlet fever. Two older daughters died of the fever, and Laura was attacked by it. For seven weeks she could not swallow solid food, and then both eyes and ears suppurated and her sight, hearing and sense of smell were totally destroyed. For a year she could not walk without support, and it was two years before she could sit up all day When she was five years old, her health was once more perfect, and her mind, unaffected by her distressful affliction, began to crave food. She had forgotten the few words she knew when she was smitten. Her remaining sense, that of touch, grew very acute. Her mother taught her to sew, knit and braid. Communication with her was possible only by signs that could be given by touch. She was an affectionate, but self-willed, child. Dr. S. G. Howe, director of the Institution for the Blind in Boston, heard of her, and she was placed in his charge 12th October, 1837. Dr. Howe, assisted by Mrs. L. H. Morton, of Halifax, Mass., developed a special system of training that accomplished wonders. A manual alphabet was used, and Laura learned to read and write in sixteen months, having acquired a considerable vocabulary. Her intellect developed rapidly, and she learned mathematical operations to a limited extent. Her case attracted a great deal of attention, and the system of instruction developed by Dr. Howe in her case was applied successfully to other children similarly deprived of their senses. Laura had no conception of religion up to her twelfth year, as her instructors purposely refrained from giving her any ideas of God until she was old enough to take a correct idea. She could not, as has been asserted, distinguish color by feeling. Laura was visited by many prominent persons, among whom were Mrs. Lydia H. Sigourney and Charles Dickens. The "Notes on America" mention Mr. Dickens' visit. George Combe, of Scotland, visited Laura in 1842, and at his suggestion arrangements were made to keep a full record of everything connected with the remarkable girl. By dint of training she learned to speak many words. Her imagination developed more slowly than any other faculty, and her moral ideas were perceptibly different, in some phases, from those of ordinary persons. Her education is fully recorded in Mary Swift Lawson's " Life and Education of Laura Dewey Bridgman," published in 1881.
("American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies", Volume 1, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by aFoFG)

ANDREW S. BURBANK. In the seventeenth century three brothers of the Burbank family came to the colonies and located in Connecticut. From that time to the present the family has been identified with the American cause and were real Americans before there was any United States. Seventy-seven of the different branches of the Burbank family were enrolled in the Revolution and they all fought with the spirit and patriotism born of true principle and fearlessness in standing for the right. Various ones held official positions. Among these patriots was the grandfather of our subject who fought all through the struggle for independence and then also in the War of 1812. Also various members of the family were in all the Colonial and Indian struggles. Out of the seventy-seven in the Revolution, seventy-two had Bible Christian names, thus indicating their Puritanic origin. Our subject served all through the Civil War after his enlistment in 1863, being in the Seventh Vermont Infantry, Company F. His only brother, Charles H., captain of company C. third Vermont Infantry, was killed in the battle of the Wilderness.
Reverting more particularly to our subject, we note that he was born in Bath, New Hampshire, on November 24, 1848, the son of David and Olive (Smith) Burbank, natives of New Hampshire and Vermont, respectively. The father died in Groton, Vermont, 1863. The mother died in Barnet, Vermont, in 1898. Our subject was reared mostly in Vermont, the family moving thither when he was four years old. The father was a miller and our subject assisted him until the time of his enlistment in the Civil War. After the war Andrew returned to Groton and completed a course in the academy. In 1867 he came west to Montana and there mined, freighted and prospected. In 1883 he came to Washington and soon thereafter we see him near Ellensburg, where he took a homestead and wrought for eight years. From there Mr. Burbank came to Wenatchee and selected his present place on the Wenatchee river, three miles from Mission. He commenced in the fruit industry and since then he has devoted himself to it with the gratifying result that today Mr. Burbank has an orchard which would do credit to the most skilled manipulator in this excellent industry. He sold last year over three thousand dollars worth of apples from eight acres. He has over thirty-five acres in fruit and it is one of the finest in the entire state, and where can the state of Washington be beaten for fruit? The farm is improved with fine large residence, barns, fruit houses and so forth and is one of the choicest places in this section. Mr. Burbank has two sisters, For a Fairchild, and Helen Buchanan.
On February 21, 1882, Mr. Burbank married Miss Ellen Gray, and six children have been born to them, Carrie, wife of Joseph Fetters, of Ellensburg; Charles, Edna, Alice, George D. and Olive. Mrs. Burbank was married in Boise, Idaho, and has two brothers and one sister, Frank, Lewis, Orilla. She was born in Maine, being the daughter of Eben and Phoebe (Harris) Gray, natives of St. John, New Brunswick, Canada. Mr. Burbank is a Republican and is often in the county and state conventions. He stands exceptionally well and is considered one of the most expert orchardists in the valley.
 [SOURCE: “An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington”; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 – Tr. by Tammie Rudder]

Henry Gordon Burleigh

BURLEIGH, Henry Gordon; congressman, was born at Canaan, N. H., June 2, 1833, of English extraction. His father was one of the pioneers in the abolition movement, and removed to Ticonderoga, N. Y., in 1846. His grandfather, a soldier in the revolution, was present at the battle of Bennington, and at the surrender of Burgoyne at Saratoga. Jonathan Cilly (q. v.), who was killed in a duel with William J. Graves, married a member of the Burleigh family. The subject of this sketch was educated at Concord, N, H., where he was a classmate of Senator William E. Chandler. He is preeminently a business man, and has had for many years’ large lumber, iron ore and transportation interests. His firm, H. G. Burleigh & Brother, is one of the largest forwarding concerns in the Lake Champlain region, and in 1873 shipped over half of the tonnage of the Champlain canal. Mr. Burleigh has always taken an active interest in politics. He was the secretary of the first republican convention held in Essex county, N. Y., 1855, was chairman of the board of supervisors during the civil war, and had charge in Ticonderoga of enlisting and organizing men for the field. He removed to Whitehall, N. Y., in 1868. In 1875 he was elected a member of the New York assembly, in which he was made chairman of the committee on canals, and in 1882 was elected a member of congress, as a republican from the eighteenth congressional district, including Washington and Rensselaer counties. In spite of the democratic tidal wave of that year which elected Grover Cleveland governor, he received a handsome majority. He was elected in 1884 and served in the following congress on the river and harbor committee. He was one of the leaders of the Arthur forces at the republican national convention held at Chicago in 1884. and when Mr. Arthur was defeated, Mr. Burleigh, at Mr. Arthur's request, moved to make the nomination of James G. Blaine unanimous. Mr. Burleigh has been a delegate to almost every republican state convention since the organization of the party, and a delegate to the republican national convention of 1884. ln the Miller-Morton contest of 1887 at Albany, Mr. Burleigh was leader of the Miller forces, and came within one vote of re-electing Mr. Miller; but Mr. Hiscock was elected finally as a compromise. The 9th separate company, New York state militia, called "Burleigh Corps," was organized in 1875 and is one of the best drilled companies in the state. Mr. Burleigh took the company to the Yorktown centennial in 1881 at his own expense. Mr. Burleigh married, in 1869, Jennie E. Richards, a beautiful and accomplished lady of Ticonderoga.

[Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1906, by James T. White, George Derby; Pgs. 140-193; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Stephen Burroughs
BURROUGHS, Stephen, adventurer, born in Hanover. New Hampshire, in 1765; died in Three Rivers, Canada, 28 January, 1840. He was the son of a Congregational clergyman, and early gained the reputation of the worst boy in town. He ran away when fourteen years old and joined the army, but deserted and soon afterward entered Dartmouth, where he engaged in all sorts of mischief. He left College secretly before the end of his course, went to sea as a privateer's man, and then figured as ship's physician. Returning to land, he became a school-master, and then, assuming the name of Davis, took charge of a Congregational church at Pelham, Massachusetts. He preached there six months without detection, but was then discovered, and shortly afterward arrested in Springfield, Massachusetts, for passing counterfeit money. He was convicted and imprisoned at Northampton, where, after numerous unsuccessful attempts to escape, he set fire to the jail and was then removed to Castle Island, Boston harbor. Even from this place he escaped, but was recaptured and served out his term. He then went to Canada, where he was for years the head of a gang of counterfeiters. Later in life he reformed, united with the Roman Catholic church, and supported himself by educating the sons of wealthy Canadians at his home, where he had a valuable library, he was successful as a teacher, beloved by his pupils, and respected by all, notwithstanding his career. His charitable deeds were many, even in the worst part of his life. He published "Memoirs of My Own Life"

(Albany, 1811; Philadelphia, 1848).
[Source: http://famousamericans.net/stephenburroughs/ --- Submitted by Nancy Piper]

News Item (Submitted by Nancy Piper):
July 18 1810, The Centinel, Gettysburg, PA
We understand, that the notorious Stephen Burroughs was lately sentenced to transportation from Canada to Botany Bay, under a late law; but was afterwards pardoned on giving heavy bonds for his future good conduct. On the condemnation of this ringleader of iniquity all his confederates suddenly decamped, and it is supposed are now returned to the United States. We hope a sharp lookout will be kept for them.

DARLING, Miss Alice O., poet, was born near Hanover, N. H. She is the daughter of one of the California pioneer gold-hunters of 1849. Her father was a farmer's son, and his youth was spent on a farm in Croydon, N. H., where he was born. His quest for gold in California was successful, and in 1855 he returned to New Hampshire and settled on a farm in the town of Lebanon. There he was married to Mary Ann Seavey. Several generations back his ancestry contained a drop of Indian blood, and to that fact Miss Darling attributes many of her mental and physical characteristics. She has an Indian's love for the fields and forests, a deep and lasting remembrance of a kindness or an injury, and a decided distaste for crowds and great cities. Unlike most New Englanders, she would rather go round than through Boston, whose architectural beauties are to her "only impressive and oppressive." Notwithstanding the regular and arduous toil of farm life, Miss Darling has found time to do considerable literary work of no mean order. She published her first poems when she was seventeen years old. When she was twenty-two years old, she wrote for the Newport, N. H., "Argus and Spectator," and later for the Boston "Traveller," the Boston "Record," the Boston "Globe," the Boston "Transcript," the Buffalo "Express," the Hanover "Gazette," and "Good Housekeeping."
(American Women,  by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1, Publ. 1897, Transcribed by Marla Snow.)

DURRELL, Mrs. Irene Clark, educator, born in Plymouth, N. H., 17th May, 1852. Her father, Hiram Clark, is a man of steadfast evangelical faith. Her mother was an exemplary Christian. Until twelve years of age, her advantages were limited to ungraded country schools. She was a pupil for a time in the village grammar-school and in the Plymouth Academy. Taking private lessons of her pastor in Latin and sciences, and studying by herself, she prepared to enter the State Normal School in Plymouth, where she completed the first course in 1872 and the second in 1873, teaching during summer vacations. In 1873 and 1874 she taught the grammar-school in West Lebanon, N. H. In the fall of 1874 she became the teacher of the normal department in the New Hampshire Conference Seminary, and a student in the junior year in the classical course. She was graduated in 1876. She then taught in the State Normal School in Castleton, Vt. On 23rd July, 1878 she became the wife of Rev. J. M. Durrell, D.D. As a Methodist minister's wife, in New Hampshire Conference, for thirteen years Mrs. Durrell has had marked success in leading young ladies into an active Christian life and interesting them in behalf of others.  As an officer in the Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society she has been an efficient organizer. For four years she was district secretary and was a delegate from the New England branch to the Evanston general executive committee meeting. With her husband, in 1882, she took an extended tour abroad. In the spring of 1891 her husband became president of the New Hampshire Conference Seminary and Female College, Tilton, N. H., and Mrs. Durrell became the preceptress of that institution.
(American Women, Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897.  Transcribed by aFoFG(ms)

GEORGE DUSTAN. Born, Nov. 26, 1827, Lebanon, N.H. Son of Jonathan and Sarah (Center) Dustan. He taught at New Boston, Milford, and Andover, two years in all, and two years at McIndoes Falls, Vt. He graduated from Andover Theological Seminary in 1859. He has been pastor of churches in Peterboro, N.H., and Boxboro, and South Acton, Mass. In 1870-71 he represented Peterboro in the New Hampshire legislature.  Died, 1902, at Hartford, Conn.
Married (1) Lucy A. Marsh, of Thetford, Vt., 1855; (2) Sarah L. Nichols, of Peterboro, N.H.
[Source: Dartmouth College Necrology, 1901-1902, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

EMERSON Carroll Colby, St Paul.  Res Cherokee av, office 85 E 3d st. Merchant. Born Feb 4, 1850 at Hanover N H, son of Moses C and Sarah T (Freeman) Emerson. Married March 30, 1871 to Mary A Ingalls.  Attended public schools in New Hampshire until 1869.  In fruit and grocery trade at Lebanon N H 5 years; gen merchandising in Stevens county Minn 1878-88; whol fruit and produce trade in St Paul 1888 to date.  Member St Paul Commercial Club.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]

FILLEY, Mrs. Mary A. Powers, woman suffragist and stock-farmer, born in Bristol, N. H., 12th December, 1821. Her parents were Jonathan and Anne (Kendall) Powers. Left motherless at the age of thirteen, she undertook the care of her younger brothers and sisters. At nineteen she made her home in Lansingburg, N. Y., and in 1851 became the wife of Edward A. Filley, of Lansingburg, and went to St. Louis, Mo., to live. The passage of the law legalizing prostitution in St. Louis roused all the mother indignation in her, and she with other prominent ladies felt that they must do what lay in their power to secure the repeal of such a law. She worked vigorously with pen and petition, though against great odds, sparing no effort. The effort was crowned with success, and the law was repealed. Soon after Mrs. Filley removed to her country home in North Haverhill, N. H. In 1880 she bought a large stock farm, which she has since conducted. It was a dairy farm, and though entirely new work to her, she learned the process of butter-making, found a market in Boston for her butter and made one year as much as 4,000 pounds. Finding the work too great a tax upon her strength, she sold the greater portion of her stock and turned the farm into a hay farm. In many ways she has made the moral atmosphere of those around her better for her having lived among them.
(American Women, Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897.  Transcribed by aFoFG(ms)

SAMUEL FOLSOM, deceased, was born in the town of Groton, N. H., August 4, 1801. He remained upon a farm, assisting his parents, until February of 1819, when he went to Boston, Mass., and thence in a short time to Florida and Mississippi. He remained in the South until 1827, when he took boat at Natchez, Miss., for the upper country, not knowing where be would stop. On board the boat, he fell in company with Capt. John Johnson, Daniel Harris and Stephen L. Bigger, of, Owen County, Ind. They gave him such a favorable account of the country they lived in that he determined to accompany them home. This he did, and after a short time located on the farm now owned by John Ritter, in Owen County, purchasing the land of Capt. Johnson. Here he remained a number of years. In 1850, he came to Greene County, Ind., and located on the farm now owned by Mark Hayes, in Eel River Township, where he remained some seven years, and then moved to Fair.- play Township, where he lived several years, when he came to Worthington and located to avoid the cares and hardships incident to farm life. Here he passed the remainder of his days, dying October 22, 1877. When quite a young man, he connected himself with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a self-made man, inheriting only the priceless legacy of a good name and a robust constitution. His battle against poverty was successful, as he secured a handsome competency. Ho was industrious. honest, philanthropic, an upright Christian, true to all of life's obligations. He served as Justice of the Peace some ten years; also was Commissioner of Owen County a number of years. He was one of the pioneer Whigs and Abolitionists, and in later life a Republican. , He was twice married, his first wife being Hannah Nelson, to whom he was married in 1828. She died in 1846. By this union there was one child, viz., Emily. There were five children his wife had when he married her, by a former marriage. These he reared as his own, and all in a manner reflecting great credit on himself and wife. He was united in marriage with Miss Sophia Davis September 25, 1848. She was born near London, England, September 5, 1814, and when a small child her parents emigrated to the United States, and after living in New York City some time, they moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, and lived there and in that vicinity the remainder of their days. By Mr. Folsom's marriage with Miss Davis, there were no children.
[Source: History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, state of Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, together with interesting biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. Chicago: Goodspeed Bros. & Co., 1884.- Subm. by aFoFG]

MYRON H. MORRILL, manager and assistant editor of the “Richland County Gazette,” has followed newspaper work during his entire career, and is a gentleman of excellent education and broad mind. He has been a resident of Wahpeton, Richland county, for twenty years, and is one of the upright and honored citizens of his community.
Our subject was born in Canaan, New Hampshire, May 9, 1860, and is a son of Elisha K. and Susan R. (Barney) Morrill, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. When two years of age he removed with his parents to Chickasaw county, Iowa, where he resided ten years, after which they moved to Floyd county, Iowa, and remained seven years. Our subject received a high school education at Charles City, Iowa, graduating with a four-years course. He has previously served three years as an apprentice in the office of the “Floyd County Advocate,” and one year of that time he devoted his evenings to study. After graduating from the high school he remained with the “Advocate” one year, and, in 1879, in company with his father, purchased a printing office in Northfield, Minnesota, but after a few weeks they removed the office to Wahpeton, in the fall of 1879, and the following December purchased the “Richland County Gazette.” This paper had been established about eight months and they consolidated the two offices. They purchased the outfit of a Norwegian paper in 1885, known as the “Vesterheimen,” but did not continue the publication of that sheet. The “Richland County Gazette” has a large circulation and is among the bright and newsy papers of the state. It advocates Republican principles, and advances the interests of that region.
Mr. Morrill was married at Cedar Falls, Iowa, August 23, 1881, to Miss Ida May Anderson, a daughter of Rev. John S. and Mary V. Anderson. Mrs. Morrill was born at Prescott, Wisconsin, and her father is a clergyman in the Methodist Episcopal denomination in the state of Washington. Mr. and Mrs. Morrill have been the parents of four children, two daughters of whom died in infancy; one son, Ralph B., was drowned at the age of fourteen years, the only surviving child being Myron A.
Mr. Morrill has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows since 1881, and is also a member of the Rebekah lodge, and Brotherhood of American Yeomen. He has been a member of the First Methodist Episcopal church of Wahpeton since its organization in 1880, and has held various important offices in that denomination, and has served for several years as superintendent of the Sunday school. He has taken the Methodist pastor’s course of study and has been ordained in that faith. He is one of the trustees of the Red River Valley University. He has served his village in various ways, and been a member of the Wahpeton school board. He has always acted with the Republican party and advocated its principles.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]



© Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.