John Grimes, the first settler of Hancock, came from Nottingham West, by way of Peterboro’, in the summer of 1764. He built his log cabin (to which he brought his family in the spring of 1765) not far from the south shore of Half-moon pond. The citizens of Hancock erected an appropriate monument on this spot in 1884. As his name does not appear in any of the papers connected with the incorporation of the town, he had probably returned to Nottingham West previous to that time. Some of his children subsequently returned to Hancock, and his widow died there in 1827.
Moses Morrison came to Peterboro’ as early as 1769. He settled on what is known as Morrison hill, east of Half-moon pond.
William Lakin came from Groton, Mass., probably in 1770. He settled on the farm now owned and occupied by his great-grandson, Joshua S. Lakin.
George McCloury came from Peterboro’. He settled on the farm now owned and occupied by Willis A. Washburn. The date of his settlement is not known, but probably is was as early as 1775.
Samuel Mitchell, Jr., came from Pererboro’. He was a resident of the town in 1776.
John Young and John Espie were also here at that time, but nothing more is known of them.
John Moore came from Bedford as early as 1773. He settled on the north-east side of Miller’s mountain (No. 57). Six children were born here; but about the year 1790 he sold his farm to Robert Mathews and returned to Bedford.
Thomas English was a brother-in-law to John Moore, and came from Bedford in 1776. Settled near Mr. Moore (No. 56), and removed to Antrim in 1779.
John Miller came from Goffstown as early as 1775. Place of settlement, No. 55.
Thomas Miller’s name appears as one of the signers of the memorial relative to the incorporation of Antrim, in 1776. He was probably a brother of John Miller.
Jonathan Bennett, Stephen Bennett, and Asa Adams came from Shirley, Mass. They settled on and near what is now know as the “Old Stoddard road,” on the north-east side of Mount Skatutahkee. The first town-meeting was held at the house of Jonathan Bennett. At that time it was supposed to be the center of the town.
Jonathan Barnet was at Bunker Hill from Society Land. He also signed the memorial relative to the incorporation of Antrim in 1776. It is probable that both names apply to the same person, but not certain. Stephen Bennett was in town as early as 1778, and Asa Adams as early as 1779.
Robert Duncan came from Londonderry to Society Land in 1774. He settled at first on the east side of the river. In the early part of 1779 he removed to what is now Hancock, and settled on Norway hill. A little later he removed to the place where C. E. L. Hayward now resides.
William Williams and William Williams, Jr., came from Shirley, Mass., locating at the place marked No. 24.
Joel Russell settled at the place marked No. 86.
Joseph Symonds came from Groton, Mass., through New Ipswich, in the early part of 1779, possibly in the fall of 1778. He settled on Norway hill.
Oliver Lawrence, John Cummings, John Cummings, Jr., and Reuben Cummings, came from Hollis. They were without doubt, here at the time of the petition for the incorporation of the town; had purchased their farms, and were engaged in clearing their land, but did not remove their families here till a little later. Mr. Lawrence settled on what is known as the Nathaniel Dow farm, in 1782. John Cummings and John Cummings, Jr., at the place marked No. 88, at about the same time. Reuben Cummings came many years later, if at all.
Timothy Moors came from Groton, Mass., through New Ipswich, probably in the early part of 1779. He settled on the place marked No. 107.
James Davis came from Paxton, Mass. He settled at the place marked No. 30.
David Ames came from Peterboro’. He settled on a spot about three rods north-east of the Center station.
John Foster came from Deerfield, Mass. He settled on the place marked “ Mrs. Cummings.”
Arthur Graham came from Windham. He settled at No. 46.
Nathan Merriam is supposed to have boarded with Stephen Bennett.
Adam Patterson settled a little to the north-east of Jack’s pond (No. 39)
Source: The History of Hancock New Hampshire 1764 - 1889
By: William Willis Hayward
Submitted by: Helen Coughlin
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails