County, New Hampshire
The following is a list of the proprietors and early settlers:
Nathaniel Abbot was about thirty years of age when he came to Penacook. His house lot was where the North Congregational Church now stands. He was the first constable of Penacook (1732-33),—an efficient, enterprising, useful citizen, and member of the church. At the commencement of the French War (1744) he entered the service, and joined the rangers under Major Robert Rogers. He held a lieutenant's commission in 1755, in Captain Joseph Eastman's company, in the expedition against Crown Point, and was a lieutenant in Captain Richard Rogers' company of rangers, in Fort William Henry, at the time of the massacre, 1757. In 1746 he had command of a company in defense of the town against the Indians. He died in 1770, aged seventy-four.
Edward Abbot, cousin of Captain Nathaniel, was one of the first selectmen of Rumford. In 1746 his house was a garrison. Edward, his son, was the first male child born in Penacook (7th of January, 1731), and Dorcas the first female child.
Jacob Abbot, cousin of Nathaniel and Edward, died in the French War, 1760.
John Austin, probably a descendant of Thomas Austin, from Andover, where was Samuel Austin (1714), who died 1753, aged eighty-three.
Obadiah, Samuel and John Ayers, or Ayer, were from Haverhill.
Obadiah was a graduate of Harvard College, 1710 ; was employed to "examine the General Court's records, to see if there be any former grant" of the township; was one of the principal inhabitants of Haverhill. Samuel and John were of the same family, and were among the most active and enterprising settlers.
Thomas Blanchard, the proprietor of Penacook, died in 1759, aged eighty-five.
William, Nathan and Zebediah Barker came from Andover.
Captain Joshua Bayley is named in the proprietors' records as " one of the principal inhabitants of Haverhill."
Nathan Blodgett was probably from Woburn.
Nathaniel Clement was from Haverhill.
John Chandler was a leading and influential man; was a powerful athletic man, of great muscular strength and cool, indomitable courage.
The Carltons —Benjamin, Nehemiah and Christopher—were relatives, probably from Andover and Haverhill.
John Coggin is believed to have been of Woburn.
Edward Clark was from Haverhill.
Rev. Enoch Coffin accompanied the honorable committee of the court and surveyors when they came to Penacook to lay out the land, in May, 1726, and preached twice on the Sabbath after their arrival, in a tent on Sugar Ball Plain. The first settlers of the name in Concord, after the death of Rev. Enoch, were William and Peter, sons of John, of Newbury. Peter afterwards settled in Boscawen, from whom those of that name there have descended.
Thomas Coleman was of Newbury, probably a descendant of Thomas Coleman. Coleman forfeited his lot, by not paying, to Henry Rolfe, Esq.
Nathaniel Cogswell's right was drawn and carried on by Thomas Perley.
Moses Day was from Bradford. One of the same name was deacon of the church in the west parish of Bradford 1730 and also 1750. Probably one of them was the proprietor in Penacook.
Ephraim, Joseph and Samuel Davis were from Haverhill. Ephraim was the only one who finally settled in Concord.
David Dodge—not known from whence he came.
Captain Ebenezer Eastman was from Haverhill; one of the most enterprising and useful of the proprietors. He settled on the east side of the river. His house was a garrison in 1746.
Jacob Eames was from Andover.
Stephen Emerson was from Haverhill.
John and Abraham Foster were from Andover.
Ephraim Farnum, from Andover, was son of Ephraim, son of Ralph Farnum, who married Elizabeth Holt in 1658. He died in 1775, aged about eighty.
John and Samuel Granger were brothers from Andover.
Benjamin Gage was from Bradford.
William Gutterson was from Andover.
Nehemiah Heath was from Haverhill.
Ephraim Hildreth was probably from Chelmsford.
Joseph Hale was from Newbury.
Moses and Richard Hazzen, Jr., were from Haverhill.
Deacon Joseph Hall, from Bradford. He was deacon of the church in Concord more than forty years, a benefactor to the poor and an example of Christian virtues. During the hostilities of the Indians his house was a garrison. He died April 8, 1784, aged seventy-seven.
Timothy Johnson, of Haverhill.
John Jaques is believed to have been from Bradford.
Robert, Samuel and David Kimball were from Bradford. Probably the latter only finally settled in Concord. He was the father of Captain Reuben Kimball. He died November 20, 1745.
Nathaniel and Ebenezer Lovejoy were brothers, and sons of John Lovejoy, of Andover.
Thomas Learned was probably from Woburn.
John Merrill, deacon, is believed to have come from Haverhill.
John Mattis. His origin is not known.
Andrew Mitchell was from Newbury.
Benjamin Nichols. His origin is not certainly known.
John and Stephen Osgood were cousins, from Andover.
Benjamin, James and Nathan Parker were brothers, from Andover.
Nathaniel Page was from Haverhill, and, probably, Thomas and Joseph also.
Nathaniel and Robert Peaslee were from Haverhill.
Rev. Samuel Phillips was minister of the South Parish Church in Andover. His right in Penacook was carried on by William Peters.
Jonathan Pulsipher's origin is not known.
John Pecker is believed to have come from Haverhill. He was a leading and useful man in town.
John Peabody was probably from Salisbury, Mass.
Henry Rolfe, Esq., was from Newbury; was one of the commission appointed by Massachusetts in 1737, on the question of the boundary line between Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
John Sanders, John Sanders, Jr., and Jonathan Sanders the two former, father and son, were from Haverhill; probably also Nathaniel Sanders. John Sanders was one of " the Committee of the Great and General Court " for the settlement of Penacook.
Benjamin and Ebenezer Stevens were brothers, from Andover.
James and Nathan Simonds were probably from Woburn.
Zerobbabel Snow. From whence he came is unknown.
Jonathan Shipley. Whence from not known.
Bezaleel and Samuel Toppan were from Newbury. Rev. Bezaleel Toppan was born March 7, 1705. Bezaleel preached a while at Penacook.
Richard Urann, it is believed, was from Newbury.
Ebenezer Virgin, probably from Salisbury.
Nicholas and William White were from Haverhill.
Isaac Walker was from Woburn—a relative of Rev. Timothy Walker, from the same place. Isaac Walker was father of Isaac, Jr., grandfather of Abiel, lately deceased, who lived on the spot where his grandfather built his log house. Isaac Walker, Jr., died on the same day that Rev. Timothy Walker died. In 1746 the house of Timothy Walker, Jr., was a garrison. He was a son of Isaac Walker, Sr.
David Wood. This is a Newbury name.
William Whittier was from Haverhill.
Edward Winn, from Woburn.
Abraham Bradley was not an original proprietor, but came to Penacook as early as 1729.
Stephen Farrington, not an original proprietor, but an early settler, from Andover.
Jacob Shute came to Penacook with Captain Ebenezer Eastman.
Jeremiah Stickney came from Bradford about 1731—not an original proprietor, but became a valuable citizen.
[Source: History of Merrimack and Belknap Counties, New Hampshire; Ed. By D. Hamilton Hurd, Published 1885 - Transcribed by Helen Coughlin]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails