County, New Hampshire
FOUNDERS OF FORT NO. 4, CHARLESTOWN, NH
Edward Allen, the eldest known ancestor of the Allen family of Charlestown, NH is said to have been a soldier under Cromwell, and to have come to this country upon the restoration. He was of Ipswich in 1670, and one of the committee for settling Suffield, Ct. for which service he received from the town in 1678 a grant of 60 acres of land. Suffield was settled by a colony from MA under whose jurisdiction it remained until 1752. Probably Allen was one of the 1st settlers. At his death on Nov. 22, 1696, he held an estate valued at 256 pounds. Edward Allen married Sarah Kimball. She d. June 12, 1696. Eleven children were the issue of this marriage. The youngest was Caleb Allen b. Mar 31, 1685 was a weaver. He was of Suffield from 1717 to 1725, then of Enfield from 1748 to 1756 when he removed to North-field he d. Sep 23, 1761. He m. 1721 Hannah Eaton of Haverhill, MA who d. June 8, 1786 aged 88. There were seven children by this marriage, of whom, Benjamin Allen their 3d child was b. in 1724.
The name Benjamin Allen was listed in the Fort No. 4 roll of Capt. Phineas Stevens company Mar. to Oct 20, 1748. Also under the same officer in 1749 and 1750. He was a proprietor of Charlestown in Aug 1753 and an elected town officer.
Benjamin Allen m. Nov 6, 1751 Peggy Spafford, dau of Capt. John Spafford and wife Hannah Spafford. She b. June 30, 1735. Their children:
1. Eunice Allen b. Aug 4, 1754 m. ___Rogers of Orford.
2. Olive Allen b. Jan 5, 1755 m. Simeon Church.
3. Lucy Allen b. Mar 28, 1758 m. Walter Geer.
4. Asa Spafford Allen b. Nov 22, 1762 m. Polly Ferguson.
5. Nathan Allen b. May 4, 1768 m. 1786 Deborah Farwell dau of Josiah Farwell. Their children:
1. Betsy Allen b. 1787 m. 1810 Richard Kimball.
2. Peggy Allen b. 1788 m. 1812 Josiah Hubbard.
3. Charles Allen b. 1794 m. 1819 Elizabeth White dau of Major Jotham White. She b. 1798. She d. 1874. Their children:
1. Elizabeth Allen b. 1820 m. John Agar of Claremont.
2. Joseph Allen b. 1822 d. 1863 at Boston.
3. Lucia Putnam Allen b. 1824 d. 1862
4. James Allen b. 1826 d. at Rouse's Pt. 1864
5 & 6 Twin girls b. and d. 1828.
7. Maria M. Allen b. 1830 m. Thomas Bailey Claremont, NH.
8. Miriam H. Allen b. 1833 d. 1834
9. Harriet W. Allen b. 1834 d. 1875
10. Robert R. Allen b. 1837 m. 1864 Julia McLarney dau. of Patrick McLarney and wife, Anna (Moore) Mclarney of NYC
1. Nathan F. Allen b. 1868
2. James Ethan Allen b. 1870
11. Louise Holden Allen b. 1840 was a teacher.
4. Hannah Allen (dau of Nathan Allen and wife Deborah
(Farwell) Allen) Hannah b. 1796 m. 1821 Luman H. Farnsworth.
5. Caleb Allen b. 1798 Res: Wheatland, NY
6. Luke Allen b. 1800 m. Seiena Putnam Res: Illinois.
7. Fanny Allen 2d b. 1802 m. Rand White of Charlestown, NH
8. Sophia Allen b. 1804 m. Richard Holden Res: Chicago.
9. James Allen b. 1807 m. and res: Chicago, ILL.
10. Lydia Allen b. 1809 m. Charles Kavenaugh Res: Chicago, ILL.
Note - In the above record, the names of two children of Nathan Allen are left out - born between Peggy and Charles Allen. Their names were Benjamin Allen and Fanny Allen - both d. young and are buried in the same grave.
6. Prudence Allen (dau of Benjamin and Peggy (Spafford) Allen b. 1769 m. Isaac Farwell son of William and Bethiah Farwell
7. Benjamin Allen Jr. b. 1770 m. 1793 Beulah Temple
8. Abigail Allen b. 1774 m. Jesse Farwell son of William and Bethiah Farwell.
9. Caleb Allen b. 1776 a soldier in War of 1812 also in naval service many years.
10. Fanny Allen b. 1779 m. Jonathan Burt of Windsor Vt. She d. NY age 90.
The following Allen families are descended from Joseph Allen of Enfield, CT who was b. Sep 24, 1727 and d. at East Windham, CT 1808. He m. 1755 Lois Burnham and had ten children, viz: Lois, Joseph, Asenath, Eunice, Hannah, Joseph, Benjamin, Asher, Anna and Henry Allen.
Henry Allen b. at East Windsor, CT 1771 m. Mary Wells b. at East Windsor 1782. They settled at Charlestown NH early 1800s. Their issue:
1. Henry T. Allen b. 1806 d. 1834
2. Lewis Allen b. Charlestown NH 1808 d. young
3. Newton F. Allen b. 1810 m. 1831 Sophia Willard dau of Abel Willard and Fanny (Grout) Willard. She b. 1815 Their issue:
1. Mary Allen b. 1833 m. 1861 Silas E. Noyes Res: Claremont.
1. Edgar Noyes b. 1864
2. Lorena Noyes b. 1869
2. George H. Allen b. 1836 d. 1847
3. Sophia Jane Allen b. 1845 m. William Henry Walker Res: Denver, CO
4. Rosie F. Allen b. 1851 m. 1872 Arthur E. Spencer Res: Denver, CO
[Source: History of Charlestown, NH by Rev. H. H. Saunderson; Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright Genealogy Trails