COTTLE FAMILY of Sullivan County, NH
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth
Source: History of Charlestown, NH - Fort 4 by Rev. Henry H. Saunderson pub 1876,
Samuel Farnsworth/Mary (Whitcomb) Willard Farnsworth Line - Groton, MA 1600s
Jonathan Farnsworth b. June 7 or 17, 1754 son of Stephen Farnsworth (founder of Fort 4, Charlestown, NH) and his wife, Eunice Hastings of Charlestown, NH. Jonathan Farnsworth m. (1) Martha (or Rebecca) Cottle. He m. (2) Susannah Brewer. In 1774 he moved to South Woodstock where he spent his days as a farmer. He was a Revolutionary War soldier from VT. He d. Dec 12, 1822. (see p. 365 for their children)
Jonathan Farnsworth and his wife, Mary Cottle had issue at South Woodstock, VT:
1. Mary Farnsworth b. May 24, 178l m. William Danforth, a Methodist minister. Res: Genessee, NY and thence to Wisconsin. Rev. Danforth and his wife both died age 80. They had five children viz
l. Aurelia Danforth
2. Sylvester Danforth
3. Jonathan Danforth
4. William Danforth
5. Mary Danforth
2. William Farnsworth b. May 17, 1783 m. Sarah A. Gimmerson. He d. near St. Louis, MO - one daughter.
3. Martha Farnsworth b. May 31, 1786 m. Thomas Standish and had 4 or 5 children Res: Western NY. She d. between 1855 and 1860. By his 2d wife, Susannah Brewer he had:
4. Jonathan Brewer Farnsworth b. 179l d. 1822 m. Sarah Slayton b. 1796 d. 1864.
5. Sarah Farnsworth b. 1793 m. Michael Shaw Res: Woodstock, VT She d. 1866 - five children viz;
l. Franklin Shaw
2. Enos Shaw
3. Laura Shaw
4. Susan Shaw
5. Eliza Shaw
6. Azubah Farnsworth b. 1796 m. Sep 1827 John Putnam Burnham Res: Woodstock, VT She d. 1874. Their children:
l. John Burnham
2. Ornam Burnham
3. Eliza Burnham d. 1885.
7. Oliver Farnsworth b. 1799 m. Fanny Parker Res: Hartsgrove, Ohio. He d. 1860
8. Susan Farnsworth b. 1802 m. William Blanchard of New Ipswich NH He b. May 3, 1788 Their children born at New Ipswich, NH:
l. Louisa Blanchard
2. Susan Blanchard
3. Harriet Blanchard
4. William Blanchard II
5. Eben Blanchard
6. Mary Ann Blanchard
7. Andrew Blanchard
8. Asenath Blanchard
9. Henry Blanchard
10. George Blanchard
11. Lurena Blanchard
All lived to maturity, married and had children.
9. Ann Homer Farnsworth b. 1805 d. 1888 at Woodstock, VT
10 Sybell Ann Farnsworth b. 1807 m. Solomon Barker of St. Johnsbury, VT He b.
Nov 2, 1802 - Their children:
l. Henry Barker d. inf.
2. Elizabeth Ann Barker b. Sep 1840
3. George Barker b. 1843.
Relief Farnsworth b. Nov 17, 1762 d. at Cottleville, MO. She was the dau. of Stephen Farnsworth (founder of Fort 4, Charlestown, NH) and his wife, Eunice Hastings.
Relief Farnsworth m. June 25, 1781 at Woodstock, VT Warren Cottle b. 1755 at Tisbury, MA He d. Apr 1811 at St. Charles County, MO Their children:
l. Warren Cottle, Jr.
2. Ira Cottle
3. Stephen Cottle
4. Oliver Cottle
5. Olive Cottle.
Biel (or Abiel) Farnsworth b. 1772 son of Oliver Farnsworth and his wife,
Elizabeth Wheeler of Charlestown NH and thence to Woodstock, VT Biel m. at Woodstock VT Elizabeth ___. They went west with his uncle, Warren Cottle to St. Charles County, MO in 1830.
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails