HASTINGS FAMILY of Sullivan County, NH
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth
Source: History of Charlestown, NH - Fort 4 by Rev. Henry H. Saunderson pub 1876,
John Hastings ancestor of the Hastings families at Charlestown, NH, was lst of Fort Dummer, then an early settler at Fort 4. In 1753 he was elected Town Clerk. He was a physician and son of Dr. Thomas Hastings of Hatfield, MA John was b. 1789 and m. (1) Lydia_____ who d. 17l6. He had two children by this marriage: both named Lydia Hastings and both died young. He m. (2) 1720 Hannah White, dau of Deacon John White. She b. l695. She d. 1744. Issue:
l. Sylvanus Hastings b. 172l m. Jemima Willard eldest dau of Lieut. Moses Willard and wife, Susanna (Hastings) Willard, b. at Turkey Hills (now Lunenburg) MA, 1728.
1. Susanna Hastings b. 1746
2. Oliver Hastings b. 1748 d. 1757
3. Jemima Hastings b. 1750 m. Jedediah Rice.
4. Sylvanus Hastings Jr. b. 1752 m. Betsey____
1.Guy Hastings b. 1788
2. and 3. Luke and Lewis (twins) b. 1790
4.Joel Hastings b. 1792
5 .John Hastings b.1754 m. Miriam_____
1. Solemith Hastings b.1776 d. 1776.
2. Fanny Hastings b. 1777 m. Elias Olcott Jr. of Rockingham, Vt. (10 children)
3. Sheloma Hastings b. 178l
6. Moses Willard Hastings b. 1756 m. 1780 Jerusha Spencer b.1758 He was 3d selectman in 1795 and 97. He d. 1834
7. Oliver Hastings b. 1759 d. of small pox the same year.
8. Elizabeth Hastings b. 1760 d. 176l
9. Oliver Hastings b. 1762 m. Olive Reed b. Townsend MA He was a physician. He was a Capt. in 1798 and a Major Gen. 1817 Their issue:
1. Caroline Hastings b. 1793 m. Dr. John Duncan.
2. Oliver Hastings Jr. b. 1806 m. 1830 Catherine Reed dau of
Roswell Reed and wife, Charlotte (Minor) Reed of Saxtons River.
1. Olive P. Hastings b. 183l m. 1860 Charles C. Kimball son of Brooks Kimball and Pressilla Vinal (Bisbee) Kimball b. 1829
2. Caroline Duncan Hastings b. 1835 m. 1862 George Kimball son of Benjamin and Mary
(Edwards) Kimball. b. 1827.
10. Hannah Hastings tenth child of Capt. Sylvanus Hastings and Jemima Hastings was b. 1764 d. 1817
11. Elizabeth Hastings b. 1767 d. same day.
12. Phineas Hastings b. 1769 d. 1777
l3. Lavinia Hastings b. 177l m. Capt. Joseph Parker
1. George Parker m. 2d _____Watson
l. Margaret Parker m. John Watts
Jemima Hastings d. 1788 and Capt. Sylvanus Hastings m. (2) in 179l
the wid. Mary Putnam wid of Deac. Ebenezer Putnam.
2. John Hastings Jr. son of John Hastings and wife Hannah (White) Hastings
John Jr. b. at Hatfield, MA 1722 m. in 1762 Mrs. Susanna Johnson dau of
Lieut Moses Willard and the widow of Capt. James Johnson. She is famous for her Memoirs of Captivity. She b. 1729/30. Their issue:
l. Betty Hastings b. 1763 d. same year.
2. John Hastings 3rd b. 1764 died following year.
3. James Hastings b. 1765 d. next day.
4. Waitstill Hastings b. 1766 d. 1768
5. Theodosia Hastings b. 1769 m. Stephen Hassam b. 1787
6. Randilla Hastings b. 177l d. unmarried. age 22
7. John Hastings b. 1773.
3. Oliver Hastings son of John Hastings and wife, Hannah (White) Hastings b. at Hatfield, MA 1724 did not settle at Charlestown, NH
4. Lemuel Hastings b. at Hatfield MA 1727 m. Elizabeth_____ Their children:
1.Cynthia Hastings b. 1763 m. Dr. Jonathan Arnold at St. Johnsbury,Vt.
2. Joel Hastings b. 1765 m. _____his children:
1. Eliza 2. Jane 3. Mary 4. Fannie 5. Moses 6. John 7. George.
3. Elizabeth Hastings b. 1767
4. Lemuel Hastings b. 1769
5. Rhoda Hastings b. 1772
5. Hannah Hastings dau of John Hastings and wife, Hannah (White) Hastings
Hannah b. 1729
6. Lydia Hastings b. 1732 m. (1) Col. William Heywood, Esq.
7. Mehitable Hastings b. 1735.
Original Proprietors of No. 4
Waitstill Hastings, 2l house lots. Place of origin: Hat-
Land Owners in Charlestown in 1754
Juo. Hastings, Jr.
Names of the Grantees of Charlestown, NH
John Hastings, Jr.
John Hastings, Sr.
Revolutionary Patriots of Charlestown, NH
John Hastings, Jr.
p.649 Physicians of Charlestown, NH
Dr. Oliver Hastings studied under Dr. William Page of Charlestown and subsequently under Dr. Frink of Rutland MA and Dr. Blake of Montreal. On completing his profession he entered into partnership with Dr. Page, and secured very soon an extensive practice which was only relinquished when his health and strength would allow him to attend to it no longer.
John Hastings, Jr. son of John Hastings and his wife, Hannah (White) Hastings b. at Hatfield, MA Nov 14, 1722 m. 1762 Mrs. Susanna Johnson, cau of Lieut Moses Willard She was the widow of Capt. James Johnson; b. Feb 20, 1729-1730. Their children:
1. Betty Hastings b. Jan 14, 1763 d. Feb 17, following.
2. John Hastings 3rd b. Feb 19 1764, d. l6th March, following.
3. James Hastings b. June 11, 1765 d. next day.
4. Waitstill Hastings b. June 15, 1766 d. July 13,1768
5. Theodosia Hastings b. June 23, 1769 m. Stephen Hassam on Sept. 27, 1787
6. Randilla Hastings b. Oct 22, 1771 d. unm. at age 22.
7. John Hastings 3d (again) b. July 9, 1773.
The father was a selectman in 1765 and 1770. His wife, Susanna in her narrative of her captivity thus describes him: "In 1762, I married Mr. John Hastings, my present husband. He was one of the first settlers in Charlestown. I recollect to have seen him when I visited the place in 1744. He suffered much by the Indians, and assisted in defending the town during the wars.
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails