WEST FAMILY of Sullivan County, NH
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth
Source: History of Charlestown, NH - Fort 4 by Rev. Henry H. Saunderson pub 1876,
Benjamin West son of Rev. West of Rochester, MA was born April 8, 1746. His oldest sibling was the celebrated Rev. Samuel West D.D. of the Hollis Street Church at Boston, MA. Benjamin West grad. Harvard 1768. Thence to Needham to study divinity with his brother, Rev. Samuel West. He was licensed to preach and commenced his mini-strations at Wrentham, MA. Finding this unsatisfactory he left the ministry, never to preach again. He return-to Needham to the home of his brother, Samuel and shortly thereafter commenced his clerkship in the office of Abel Willard, Esq of Lancaster, MA. After completing his clerkship he was received by Simeon Olcott of Charlestown NH. In July 1773 he est. himself in Charlestown as an attorney at the time the Revolutionary War broke out. At the same time, a position in South Carolina was offered and he accepted the offer, riding horseback from Charlestown NH to South Carolina, a journey that took two months. He was employed by Mr. Gibbs, a wealthy planter. When the war reached South Carolina he joined a group of sixty or seventy young men of the city to form a company of light horse. He was taken prisoner. Illness forced his return to his brother in Needham, MA After which he returned to Charlestown, NH in 1779.
He m. June 8, 178l Mary McCarty dau of Rev. Mr. McCarty of Worcester, MA who d. Aug 23, 1803. He m. (2) 1806 Mrs. Frances Gordon widow of the Hon. William Gordon. She was the dau. of the Hon. Joshua Atherton of Amherst, NH. Benjamin West d. July 27, 1817. His 2d wife, Frances died Nov ll, 1838. (children, if any, not mentioned).
Timothy West son of Rev. Thomas West of Rochester, Plymouth County, MA. settled at Charlestown, NH in 178l bringing with him a family of seven children, at that time. By trade he was a ship's carpenter. Not caring for the maritime life he purchased thru his brother, the Hon. Benjamin West (above) several hundred acres of land at Charlestown, NH and was 2d Selectman 1798, 1799 and 1800 and lst Selectman 1803. Was also deacon of the church at Charlestown.
Deacon Timothy West and his wife, Lois (Hammond) West:
l. Jane West b. Dec 24, 1768 at Rochester, MA m. 1789 Phineas Page. Res: Fairfax, Vt.
2. Nancy West b. Dec 15, 1770 at Rochester, MA m. 1793 John Small Willard son of James Nutting Willard. He b. Jan 3l, 1772 d. at Hartland VT.
3. Presbury West b. Aug 31, 1772 at Rochester, MA m. 1792 Terza Carlton of Acworth, NH Res: St. Johnsbury, thence to Lancaster and died.
4. Alice West b. Aug 16, 1774 at Rochester, MA m. (l) Jan 25, 1795 Samuel Carlisle. She m. (2) John Mather Foster son of Rev. Dan Foster. She m. (3) ___Stone.
5. Timothy West b. Jan 31, 1777 at Rochester MA d. 1779.
6. Drusilla West b. Feb 8, 1779 at Rochester MA m. Charles Flin on Feb 17, 1799. Res: Lyndon, VT
7. Asenath West b. Oct 28, 1780 m. Feb 3, 1800 Enos Page Res: Concord, VT (see also p. 363 of the Farnsworth Memorial - listed below).
8. Charity West b. Dec 19, 1782 at Charlestown, NH m. (l) Deacon Benjamin West son of Rev. Samuel West of Needham and Boston, MA. She m. (2) George Olcott, Esq. son the the Hon. Simeon Olcott and his wife, Tryphena (Terry) Olcott of Charlestown, NH.
9. Mary West b. Jan 6, 1785 m. Samuel Bradley Res: Boston MA
10 Timothy West b. Jan 3l, 1787 d. 1808.
11 Melinda West b. Mar l, 179l m. m. 18l5 Samuel Stickney of Springfield, VT Res: Boston, MA.
12 Benjamin West 2d b. Mar l, 179l m. Oct 18ll Phebe Tyler of Waterford, VT thence to Springfield, VT thence to St Johnsbury and died there.
13 Enoch Hammond West b. May 27, 1792 m. 1822 Lydia Coffin Fitch b. 180l. Their children:
l. Frederick Fitch West b.___Res: Monroe, WI
2. Francis H. West m. Emma Rittenhouse, res: Milwaukee, WI (ten children)
3. George O. West b. 1838 m. 1857 Sophia Parks of Charlestown, NH Res: Whitewater, WI. Their children:
1. Ellen Lydia West b. 1858
2. Charles H. West b. 1863
4. Ellen L. West b.___m. Joseph G. Briggs on Oct 12, 1852 Res: Charlestown, NH
Charles Henry West son of Deacon Benjamin and Charity West b. Jan l2, 1827 m. Sep 1852 Elizabeth Silsby dau of Isaac West and wife, Anna (Langley) Silsby b. 1828 Their children:
1. Anna Langley West b. 1859
2. Charlest Henry West b. 1862.
Samuel Sprague West (called Sprague West) settled 1st at Charlestown, NH Thence (abt 179l) at Acworth, NH. He m. (1) Phebe Carlton dau of Dean and Keziah Carlton. Their children:
l. Catherine West m. Joseph Hamlin of Charlestown NH on June 3, 1809 Res NY
2. Royal West m. Roxana Hamlin, he taught school at Trenton, Utica and Salina NY and licences to preach. Preached at Enfield,Walworth, Churchville and Fairport, NY He d. 1852.
3. Jane West b. at Acworth, NH
4. Sophia West b. at Acworth.
5. Thomas West b. at Acworth.
6. Thomas West 2d b. at Acworth
7. Eliza West.
8. Keziah West.
9. Francis West.
Samuel Sprague West m. (2) Mrs. Lydia (Durant) Putnam the widow of Elisha Putnam on Dec. 1816 Res: Columbia, Ohio.
John West and wife, Lydia (Reed) West
l. Mary West b. 1791
2. Priscilla West b. at Walpole Apr 3, 1793.
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails