Hon. Trinidad Alarid
The present efficient auditor of the Territory of New Mexico, is one of the few of New Mexico's prominent men who has held one of the highest offices in the gift of the people continuously for the past eighteen years; his record during all this time has been pure and unsullied, and too much praise cannot be given to such steadfast and honored principles, which have characterized his long and useful career. Mr. Alarid is a descendant of a long line of distinguished Spanish ancestry. Personally he is pleasant and affable in manner, easily wins and holds friends, while his standing in the community as an honest and upright citizen is of the highest. ["New Mexico, The Spanish Conquest to the Present Time", by Helen Haines pub. 1891 - Transcribed by Pat Houser]
William Henry Andrews
ANDREWS, William Henry, a Delegate from the Territory of New Mexico; born in Youngsville, Warren County, Pennsylvania, January 14, 1846; attended the public schools; engaged in mercantile pursuits at Cincinnati, Ohio, and at Meadville and Titusville, Pennsylvania, 1880-1890; was also a builder of railroads; president of the Santa Fe Central Railway Co.; chairman of the Republican State committee of Pennsylvania 1889-1891; member of the State house of representatives 1889-1893; served in the State senate in 1895; moved to the Territory of New Mexico in 1900 and engaged in the mining business in Sierra County; was a member of the Territorial council in 1903 and 1904; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-ninth, Sixtieth, Sixty-first, and Sixty-second Congresses and served from March 4, 1905, to January 7, 1912, when, pursuant to law, his term expired, the Territory of New Mexico having been admitted as a State into the Union and the Representative-elect having qualified; became engaged in the development of oil in the southern part of New Mexico in 1912; died in Carlsbad, Eddy County, New Mexico, January 16, 1919; interment in Woodlawn Cemetery, Titusville, Crawford County, Pennsylvania. [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present, Contributed by A. Newell]
ERNEST L. BROWNE – There is an element of singular congruity in directing specific attention to the honorable career of the subject of this review, since he not only holds high rank among the business men of the Territory and as an official of Socorro county, but is the son of one who was most conspicuously identified with the establishment and development of the higher business interests of New Mexico, and whose life was one characterized by the highest integrity, a progressive spirit and a transcendent ability for the management and direction of affairs of great breadth and importance.
Ernest L. Browne now holds the distinctive preferment as Treasurer of Socorro county, and in his business relations is conspicuous as being a member of the wholesale mercantile firm of the Browne &Manzanares Company, whose business is one of the most extensive commercial enterprises in the Territory, having numerous branches and being conducted with that signal regard for absolute probity and honor which has insured its successful operation from the time of its inception. Mr. Browne was born in Kansas City, Missouri, on the 19th of December, 1861, coming of an ancestral line which represents a blending of English, German and Scotch-Irish strains. His father, Lawrence P. Browne, was a native of Pennsylvania, and in his early manhood he was united in marriage to Miss Artless J. Ladd, who was born in Providence, Rhode Island, their union being consummated in Kansas City, where he was engaged in the mercantile business at the time. He had commenced his career as a clerk in a store in St. Louis, Missouri, entering the employ of W.H. Chick, with whom he eventually became associated as a partner, in which connection they conducted a successful mercantile business in Kansas City from 1864 to 1869. Mr. Browne then went to Junction City, Kansas, and from that point as headquarters was engaged in selling merchandise along the line of the Union Pacific Railroad during the period of its construction. He was thus concerned in business at various points along that important route, and thereafter he continued operation in a similar way along the line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, trading at La Junta, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, El Mora, Trinidad, Otero, and finally at Las Vegas, where the headquarters of the house have since been maintained.
In the year 1880 the Socorro house was established, Mr. Browne having prior to this associated himself with F.A. Manzanares, one of the most able and prominent of the native sons of New Mexico. The firm eventually filed articles of incorporation as the Browne &Manzanares Company, and this title has ever since been retained. Mr. Browne was possessed of remarkable business acumen and capacity for the management of details. He was an active and indefatigable worker and applied himself unreservedly to his business affairs. To his able efforts is largely due the high measure of success and prosperity which has attended the prosecution of the magnificent mercantile enterprise which he founded.
Lawrence P. Browne departed this life on the 5th of December, 1893, and in his death New Mexico lost one of her most honored business men and valuable citizens. He had established thirty-five business houses and had gained a distinguished position in commercial circles; but from first to last he was the same unassuming, courteous man of business, honest and upright in thought, word and deed, and ever standing four-square to every wind that blew. His was that high sense of honor which felt the slightest discredit as poignantly as a wound, and after his long and useful life was ended there were none to cast a reflection upon any action which had characterized his career. Such a name handed to posterity is more priceless than great riches. His sons are now associated with Mr. Manzanares in conducting the extensive business, the officers of the company being as follows: F.A. Manzanares, president; M.W. Browne, vice-president; C.W. Browne, secretary; and E.L. Browne, cashier and manager of the Socorro branch of the business.
The last mentioned, Ernest L. Browne, figures as the immediate subject of this review. Reverting to the more salient points in his early history, we learn that his more preliminary educational training was secured in the public schools of Kansas City, after which he completed a thorough course of study in the mineralogical department of the State University of Kansas. He also took a special course of study in the Colorado School of Mines, and thereafter passed some time in the offices of the Union Pacific Railroad Company, in order to thoroughly inform himself in regard to the details of railroading.
In 1884 he became a member of the company of which his father was the head, and he has since been consecutively connected with the business, having been for six years connected with the operation of the main establishment at Las Vegas. In 1890 he came to Socorro, and he here had charge of the cash department of the business until 1894, when he assumed the management of the branch and has since directed its affairs with consummate ability and judgment. It is unnecessary to state in this connection that Mr. Browne and his brothers inherit in a marked degree the sterling mental and business qualities of their honored father, whose example they feel they cannot do better than to emulate, thus adding to the splendid reputation gained by him.
In his political adherency our subject is a stalwart Republican, and since coming to Socorro he has taken a deep interest in public affairs of a local nature. He has been particularly solicitous in advancing the educational facilities and interests of the town, was elected a member of the first School Board, and has been prominent and active in securing the erection of the fine brick school building, which is a valuable and permanent improvement to the town and an evidence of the public spirit and liberality of its populace. In the fall of 1892 Mr. Browne was elected Treasurer of Socorro county, and was chosen as his own successor in 1894 – a fact that most distinctively betokens the esteem in which he is held and the satisfactory dispensation which he has given in the important office.
An important event in the history of our subject was that which occurred in the year 1886, when was solemnized his marriage to Miss Mae Bassett, the daughter of Judge Owen A. Bassett, a prominent resident of Lawrence, Kansas, and an ex-member of the Legislature of Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Browne have one son, Owen Bassett Browne, who was born in Las Vegas.
In his fraternal relation Mr. Browne is prominently identified with the Masonic order and the Knights of Pythias, being Senior Warden of his lodge in the former body, and Past Chancellor of the latter. He is a man of genial and social nature, and enjoys a most distinctive popularity in the little city with whose interests he is so thoroughly identified.
[Source: "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]
Captain John L. Bullis, of the Twenty-fourth Infantry, was assigned to duty as Acting Indian Agent of the Pueblo and Jicarilla Indians by the War Department June 17, 1893. [Source: "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]
Captain Dilliard H. Clark – Among those whose lives have been devoted to the military service of the nation and whose fidelity to duty is above question, is numbered the gentleman whose name introduces this review.
He was born in Powell county, Kentucky, on the 27th of July, 1847, and the days of his childhood and youth were passed in his native State. When he had attained his majority he received an appointment to represent his district at the West Point Military Academy and entered that celebrated institution in 1869, pursuing the regular four-years course and graduating with the class of 1873. Immediately afterward he came to the West to serve on the frontier.
Captain Clark has been stationed at every post in New Mexico, and has been engaged in the arduous duties connected with Indian warfare. When he arrived in this Territory in 1873 he was sent to Fort Craig and then to Fort Seldon, where he remained until he was transferred to Fort Stanton. After a short residence at the last named place his health began failing and he was forced to take a trip to Europe, where he remained for two years. Being benefited by his travels he then returned to his native land and was sent to Fort Union. While at Fort Stanton in 1880 he was appointed Regimental Quartermaster of the Fifteenth United States Infantry by General George P. Buell, and at the same time was Post Quartermaster. The Captain was stationed at Fort Ojo Caliente at the time when the notorious Indian chief, Victoria, attempted to make his escape from the reservation, and was sent in pursuit of the wily warrior. Captain Clark has performed service in other lines, having partly built Fort Lewis in Colorado, served as Quartermaster at Fort Randall and Fort Buford, Dakota, while for three years he served as professor of military science and tactics at the Kentucky State College.
In June, 1891, on account of ill health, the Captain was retired from the United States army on three-quarters pay, and came to the Pecos valley, where he has since been engaged in surveying and civil engineering. He also represents the Lea Cattle Company at this place and other individual property owners. In 1874 he located what is now known as Blue Water Ranch, one of the best and most valuable ranches in the Territory. He is numbered among the pioneers of New Mexico, and his life has been a varied and interesting. one, combining the experiences of frontier military service, of European travel and ranch life on the frontier.
Source: "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team
Patrick J. Donahoe
PATRICK J. DONAHOE is one of the able attorneys of the New Mexico bar, and has attained his present position of prominence by virtue of application to study and ambition to win. He was born October 11, 1865, in Michigan. He received the benefits of a common school education, and shortly after leaving school he accepted the position of private secretary to ex-Governor McCormick, of Arizona, and remained with him about ten months. For the next three years he acted in the same capacity for E. J. Richards, of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad, and Mr. Henry Monette, of the West Shore Railroad. Resigning these positions, he removed to Hamilton, O., where he read law until 1886; then, going to New Mexico, he was appointed official stenographer in the courts of the third judicial district. In 1889 he was admitted to the bar, and immediately entered upon the practice of his profession in connection with Hon. S. M. Ashenfeltor, with whom he formed a law partnership soon after his admission to the bar. Mr. Donahoe is building up a large and lucrative practice in New Mexico, and he has gained the respect and good will of a host of friends and acquaintances, who wish him success in his new home.["New Mexico, The Spanish Conquest to the Present Time", by Helen Haines pub. 1891 - Transcribed by Pat Houser]
Joseph W. Dwyer
Joseph W. Dwyer, one of New Mexico's prominent and influential citizens, was born in Conhocton, O., October 6, 1832. His early life was spent on a farm, and during the winter months he attended the district schools, thereby receiving an ordinary education. Later he clerked in a store, and in 1860-66 printed a newspaper in his native town. In 1861 he accepted a position in the Treasury Department at Washington, D. C; at the same time he acted as assistant private secretary to Chief Justice Salmon B. Chase. In 1864 he was appointed pension agent at Columbus, O.; he paid the first pension in this office, now the largest pension agency in the United States. Mr. Dwyer resigned this office to accept the position of supervisor of internal revenue, which he held during President Grant's first term of office. He resigned this to accept the position of attorney for the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad, and transacted the business of that company in Washington, D. C, for three years. In 1877 he came to New Mexico and has since resided here, engaged extensively in sheep and cattle raising. Colonel Dwyer is an honored and respected citizen and a self-made man. ["New Mexico, The Spanish Conquest to the Present Time", by Helen Haines pub. 1891 - Transcribed by Pat Houser]
JOHN W. EVANS, the popular Postmaster and a groceryman of Clayton, New Mexico, has been a leading factor in the town ever since it was established. Indeed, his identity with the place dates before there was any sign of a town here and before even a tent had been pitched on the site. It was December 16, 1887, that he first landed here. Soon afterward he located a farm of 320 acres five miles south of this place, which he has built upon and improved and to which he has added until it now comprises 480 acres. In 1890 he opened his grocery business in Clayton. Here he soon built up an excellent trade, which he has since maintained and which has increased with the growth of the town, his success in the grocery business being due to his close and careful attention and good management, and to the honorable and liberal methods employed by him. In 1893 he was appointed Postmaster, the position which he is now ably filling, discharging his duties in a manner most satisfactory both to the Government and to the patrons of the office. As soon as he received the appointment he purchased a new outfit for the office, including a good set of boxes fully up with the times and growth of Clayton, and fitted up the office in a manner creditable alike to himself and the town. The building in which he now does business was erected by him in 1891, and the following year he built his present residence. Thus has he contributed his full share toward the upbuilding of the town. Mr. Evans is a native of the State of Indiana, born August 17, 1844, and is of Scotch and Welsh descent. His forefathers were early settlers of New York, and later removed from there to North Carolina, of which latter State his father, John W. Evans, was a native. The senior John W. Evans removed to Cincinnati when that now prominent city was a small village, subsequently took up his abode in Madison, Indiana, and was therefore a pioneer of both Ohio and Indiana. He married Emaline Alfred, a native of North Carolina and a descendant of early settlers of this country.
When Mr. Evans, the subject of this sketch, was only three years of age his father died, and six years later he lost his mother by death. The little orphan then found a home with a Quaker family, friends of his parents, whose kindness to the boy will never be forgotten by him. In the public schools of Madison he received his education. August 16, 1862, at the age of eighteen years, Mr. Evans enlisted in the Union army, and went out as a member of the Eighty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served with the Armies of the Cumberland and Tennessee, under Generals Rosecrans and Sherman, and his corps – The Fourteenth Army Corps – known as “Pap Thomas’ Pets.” His first battle was fought at Perryville. Other engagements in which he participated were the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge, and all the hard fighting in the campaign which led up to the capture of Atlanta. At one time he was offered an important commission, which, however, he declined on account of his youth. While he passed through the war without receiving a wound, the exposure and hard army life greatly impaired his health. He continued on duty until the conflict ended, participated in the grand review of the victorious army in Washington, and in June, 1865, received an honorable discharge.
The war over, Mr. Evans returned to his home in Indiana, and for two years thereafter was unfitted, on account of his ill health, for business of any kind. On his recovery he gave his attention to the business of photography, which he followed for eighteen years in Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois and Texas.
Mr. Evans was married in 1882 to Mrs. Sarah E. Horne, widow of Thomas Horne. By her first marriage she had three children, viz.: William H., who died in Clayton, New Mexico, in his twenty-fourth year;Cordie, now Mrs. J.W. Wiggins, of Oklahoma; and Samuel T., who resides with his parents in Clayton. Mrs. Evans is a daughter of Mr. Samuel T. Sloan, one of the earliest settlers of Dallas, Texas.
In politics Mr. Evans has been a life-long Democrat. He keeps himself well posted and takes an active interest in the affairs of the country. Over twenty years ago he was initiated in the mysteries of Freemasonry and has maintained a membership in good standing in the order ever since. His high moral standing and his integrity as an official and business man place him among the leading citizens of Clayton and entitle him to the high respect and esteem in which he is held by all who know him.
[Source: "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]
LOUIS HUNING, a prominent pioneer resident of Los Lunas, and a self-made man, came to the Territory of New Mexico in July, 1861.
He is a native of Germany, born in Hanover, April 6, 1834, a son of German parents. In the old country he was reared and educated, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits there until 1861, when he emigrated to America and came to Los Lunas. On his arrival at this place his cash capital consisted of forty-five dollars. Here he accepted a clerkship in the store owned by his brothers, Franz and Charles Huning. These brothers had been in America for some time and had mercantile establishments in both Albuquerque and Los Lunas. Our subject clerked for them until 1865, when he became a member of the firm. Later he and Mr. E.D. Franz became owners of the Los Lunas store and conducted the same for eight months, at the end of which time Mr. Huning purchased the interest of his partner and became sole owner. Soon after this he bought of Mr. Jules Freudenthal a similar establishment at Belen, and for a time ran both establishments under his own name. In 1866 he became a member of the firm of L. & H. Huning, which continued up to 1871. Their business operations were attended with large success. They had six branch houses, and they handled many hundred thousand dollars’ worth of goods. For a number of years they had contracts from the Government to the amount of $150,000 annually. In addition to their immense mercantile business, Mr. Huning and his brother were largely interested in stock-growing. At one time they had 60,000 head of sheep and 8,000 head of cattle, and their wool clip amounted to 200,000 pounds. In 1888, when they dissolved partnership, their estate was valued at $750,000. In 1870 they built at Las Chavez one of the best full roller-process flouring mills in the Territory. Thus it is seen that in various ways Mr. Huning has been foremost in developing the resources of New Mexico. During his business career he has from time to time acquired large tracts of valuable lands, and he is now the owner of no less than 125,000 acres, much of this land being very valuable for coal-mining purposes.
Mr. Huning was married in 1873 to Miss Emma Gehrling, a native of Missouri and a daughter of Dr. Gehrling of that State. She died at the birth of her first child, and it lived only seven months. October 28, 1876, he married Miss Henny Bush, his present companion, a native of Bremen, Germany. The children of this union are four in number and as follows: Emma, Frederick, Lewie and Lolita, all born in Los Lunas.
On becoming a resident of America Mr. Huning identified himself with the Republican party, with which he has maintained his allegiance ever since. He has served five terms in the important office of County Commissioner, was one of the first Commissioners elected in the county, and was the incumbent of this office at the time the court-house was built, in the pushing forward of which enterprise he rendered valued service. Both in his official career and as a business man he has made a wide acquaintance throughout Valencia county and is highly respected by all who know him.[Source: "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]
W.L. JENNINGS, one of the early settlers of Raton, and a veteran of the late war, was born in the far-off State of New York, his birth occurring in Jamestown, on the 4th of August, 1833. The family is of English origin and was probably founded in America in early Colonial days. His father, Edmund Jennings, was a native of the Green Mountain State, and married Miss Nancy King, who was also born in Vermont. They removed to Jamestown, New York, and Mr. Jennings was afterward for some years a pilot on the Ohio river. Subsequently he engaged in land speculation. In the family were four children, but only two are now living. The father died in the sixty-eighth year of his age, and the mother reached the ripe old age of eighty-four years. They were both members of the Christian Church, in which Mr. Jennings long served as Deacon, and both were highly esteemed and worthy people, who had the warm regard of many friends.
W.L. Jennings was the second child of the family, and was educated in the public schools of his native town. He afterward entered an academy in Warren, Pennsylvania, but not liking the school he ran away to Pittsburg, where he spent a year working for an uncle. In the meantime his father had taken sick so that Mr. Jennings returned to his home, where he remained until his father’s death. Attracted by the West he then removed to Olin, Iowa, and was there united in marriage in 1855 with Miss Catherine Walker, a native of Dayton, Ohio, and a daughter of William Walker of that place. Two children have been born to them: Frank, who is now a resident of Dayton, Wyoming; and Mary, wife of D.B. Fotheringham, Mayor of the city of Spokane, Washington.
For some time after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Jennings resided at Olin, Iowa, and he held the office of Deputy Sheriff. He also engaged in hotel-keeping, following in that pursuit until after the breaking out of the Civil war, when he resolved to give his service to his country and aid in the preservation of the Union. Accordingly, on the 4th of August, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Ninth Iowa Infantry, and with his regiment went to Benton Barracks, St. Louis, spending the winter at Pacific City, Missouri. In the spring he participated in the battle of Pea Ridge, which he fought in the open field. It was a hotly contested engagement, charge after charge being made all day long. The Confederate forces had 30,000 men and the Union forces only 10,000. The former felt that they had won the fight, but in the morning the Union forces made a magnificent charge and drove the enemy from Pea Ridge. The battle was not as great as to numbers as other engagements of that struggle, but it was one of the most hotly contested, and the Union forces suffered much loss, yet covered themselves with glory, defeating a brave enemy three times their number. The company to which Mr. Jennings belonged lost twenty of its men, or one-fourth of the entire number! The next battle in which Mr. Jennings took part was at Vicksburg, and he then participated in all the engagements of that great campaign that led up to the capture of Atlanta. He served for three years and two months and rose from the rank of Corporal to that of Lieutenant. He was a valiant soldier, always faithful to his duty, whether acting as picket or serving in the thickest of the fight. He had many narrow escapes, and on one occasion a ball cut his vest and passed between his arm and his body. He was fortunate, however, being never wounded, taken prisoner or sick a day, and with an honorable discharge he returned to his home.
Mr. Jennings afterward removed to Lincoln, Nebraska, and for a time dealt in land and engaged in other speculations. Subsequently he removed to Lyons, Kansas, where he carried on business as a painter and later engaged in the hotel business. In 1880 he came to Raton, and for a time served as foreman with the railroad company, then engaged in painting, paper hanging and decorating. In 1886 he purchased a good residence, and he also owns his shop, and a large house which he rents out to roomers, and which is now full of guests. His life has been a busy and useful one, and he has won success by close application, energy, perseverance and capable management.
Mr. Jennings is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and has passed all the chairs in the branches of the latter order. He also holds membership with the Order of Rebekah, and the Order of the Eastern Star, while in political faith he is a Republican. In all the walks of life he has been found true and upright, manifesting the same loyalty to principle that he displayed when on Southern battle-fields he followed the old flag which to-day proudly floats over the united nation.
[Source: "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]
EUTIMIO MONTOYA – The annals of history in New Mexico are prolific in interest and in somewhat romantic incident through the earlier years when first the Territory was opened up to civilization by the representatives of the proud old Spanish families who here disputed dominion with the savages, and laid deep the foundation upon which has been reared the magnificent superstructure of a rich and progressive section of our great Western republic. The stages of development each have their elements of interest, and yet to those who have descended from the original Spanish settlers there is perhaps a greater quota of honor and credit attaching than to those who have drifted to the section in later years or have been attracted here as the resources of the Territory have been revealed. But the pioneers of New Mexican history are for the most part of Spanish extraction, and of the old and prominent families there remain to-day many distinguished sons who have kept in touch with the electrical advances of this end-of-the-century period. Such an one is the subject of this sketch, and there is demanded for him specific recognition in this volume.
Eutimio Montoya is one of the most prominent and influential citizens of San Antonio, Socorro county, and it is a significant fact that this town figures as the place of his nativity, his birth having here occurred on the 24th of December, 1854. The original ancestor of the Montoya family in New Mexico was Antonio Montoya (great-grandfather of our subject), who came from Mexico with a colony and settled first at Santa Fe, and later locating at Belen, becoming prominently engaged in farming and stock-raising. In this Territory he married Guadalupa Baca, a representative of the noted family of that name, and both lived to acquire venerable age. Their son, Jose H. Montoya was born in Belen, and in his early manhood he was united in marriage to Juana Maria Baca, and they were among the first settlers in the town of Socorro. The Socorro land grant was given to seventy families, and they were the founders of that town. Jose Montoya was also engaged in stock-growing until his death. His son, Estanislao Montoya, father of our subject, was born at Socorro, on the 9th of December, 1819, and he and his father were the founders of the village of San Antonio. Here they established themselves at a time when the county was practically a wilderness, and they had many desperate conflicts with the Indians, who made frequent raids in attempting to destroy them and rob them of their herds and flocks. They had many narrow escapes, and suffered much from the depredations of the wily redskins who infested the Territory at that time, and who hesitated to commit no atrocity. Our subject’s father commanded many an expedition against the savages for the purpose of recovering stock which they had captured, and in order to protect the settlers from their bloodthirsty onslaughts. Estanislao Montoya took unto himself a wife in the person of Francisca Garcia, who was born in Belen, the daughter of Juan Andres Garcia, of the celebrated New Mexican family of that name. In addition to his extensive operations in stock-raising, Mr. Montoya also became concerned in mercantile pursuits, and was a man of much influence in the Territory. His military career is one of which his descendants may well be proud, for it was one of distinguished service to the cause of the Union during the late war of the Rebellion. In 1861 he received from the Governor of the Territory the appointment as Adjutant General of the New Mexico Militia, and in that capacity took an active part in the Civil war, participating in the battles which were waged in the Territory, and which resulted in the upholding of the Union arms and in the expulsion of the enemy from the Territorial borders. At the close of the war he was prominently identified in the capturing of the Navajo Indians, and at one time he held 150 of the savages in captivity at San Antonio. He also had much to do in subduing the Apache Indians, who were the most savage and warlike of all the tribes that infested the Territory. He later held distinctive official preferment as Probate Judge of the county, and discharged the important duties of that position with signal ability and honor, holding the office for a number of years. His character was beyond reproach, and such was his life record that the people placed implicit confidence in him and regarded his counsel as practically ultimate. To him belongs the honor of having discovered, in 1862, the valuable coal deposits near San Antonio, and he here developed the mining industry to a certain extent, the property being sold, in 1881, to the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company for a consideration of $54,000. The demise of this honored pioneer was deeply lamented by all who knew him. He passed into eternal rest on the 8th of August, 1884, aged sixty-four years. His widow still survives, and has attained the venerable age of seventy. They became the parents of nine children, three of whom died in infancy and five of whom still abide, namely: Juliana is the wife of Jose A. Montoya, a distant relative of the family; Nemecia is the wife of Ricardo Pino; Isabel is the wife of Lucas E. Pino; Placida is now deceased; Deciderio S. died in 1887, aged forty-two years; and Eutimio is the immediate subject of this sketch. All of the family retain their residence in San Antonio.
Eutimio Montoya was the youngest of the children, and his education was secured in the excellent college of the Christian Brothers, at Santa Fe. His business career began at an early age, when he went to Fort Craig and took charge of the store conducted by his father, who was sutler at the post at the time. He remained at Fort Craig for a period of five years and then returned to his home and became the partner of his father and brother in their extensive stock-raising and mercantile enterprises. They also operated a large freight train which was utilized in transporting goods overland from Kansas City and other points as the railroad line made its way westward. They were very successful in all their endeavors, and on their stock ranch they had at one time as many as 65,000 sheep, 2,000 head of cattle and 300 head of horses. They imported Cotswold and Merino (bucks) sheep and brought the quality of wool up to a high standard. They were also owners of large tracts of valuable land. Soon after the death of the honored father the brothers dissolved their partnership in so far as it is pertained to the mercantile business, but continued to be associated in the stock enterprise for about two years afterward, and our subject is still very prominently identified with this industry. His sheep are seven-eighths Merino, his cattle have a marked strain of Hereford blood, and his horses are a judicious crossing of the Hambletonian and Morgan strains. His experience has proved to him that the stock thus secured is most peculiarly adapted to the climate of New Mexico and best insured to render good returns. Mr. Montoya has a spacious and attractive home in San Antonio, his native place, and he is recognized as one of the public-spirited and influential citizens.
Our subject has been twice married. In 1875 was consummated his union to Miss Guadalupa Luna, daughter of Hon. Ramon Luna, of Las Lunas. To them were born three children: Margarita, wife of Solomon Baca, of Socorro; Anna Felicia and Elvira, deceased. On the 15th of January, 1885, Mr. Montoya was united in marriage to Miss Sallie Perez, daughter of Hon. Demetrio Perez, ex-Auditor of the Territory, to whom individual reference is made elsewhere in this volume. Of the three children to this union two died in infancy, the one surviving being Acisclo D.A. Estanislao P. and Ignacio L. are the names of the deceased.
Mr. Montoya is a worthy representative of an illustrious ancestry and is known as a man of marked business ability, intellectual force and high honor, being one of the representative and worthy citizens of the Territory.
Among the prosperous merchants of New Mexico can be named the subject of our sketch. He commenced his business career at an early age, which has in every way been commendable. He is naturally a man of positive, well-grounded convictions, and is open and candid in his avowal of them. His position on any question of public policy is never one of doubt or hesitancy. His business career, his private and public life, are above reproach, and his honesty is of the character that needs no profession, but makes itself felt upon all with whom he comes in contact. He has traveled extensively in Europe and America, and is at present retired from business. ["New Mexico, The Spanish Conquest to the Present Time", by Helen Haines pub. 1891 - Transcribed by Pat Houser]
HON. ATANASIO ROMERO, one of the representative business men of Santa Fe, was born in this city May 2, 1851, and is a descendant of one of the oldest Mexican families in the Territory. His grandfather, Felipe Romero, was born in New Mexico, was a prominent rancher, and died at the age of seventy years, leaving a family of six children. His son, Jose Maria Romero, the father of our subject, was born in 1801. He married Miss GuadalopeGallegas, daughter of Juan Gallegas, also descended from an old and prominent Mexican family. Five daughters and two sons were added to this union, all born in Santa Fe. The father died in 1876, at the age of seventy-five years.
Atanasio Romero, his youngest child, received his education at St. Michael’s College, completing the course in 1868, after which he clerked in his father-in-law’s store in Santa Fe until 1883. During that time he was elected, on the Republican ticket, a member of the Territorial Legislature, in the session of 1880. Two years afterward he became County Clerk, and at that time the office was ex officio, consisting of Probate Clerk, Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners, and Clerk of the School Board and County Assessor, so that his position was one of importance, and gave him a thorough acquaintance with all the business interests of the county. In 1884 Mr. Romero was the Republican nominee for County Assessor, but was defeated, along with the whole ticket. Two years afterwards, in 1886, he was nominated for Sheriff, and was again defeated. In 1888 he was again nominated for Assessor, and was still again defeated, as the county was largely Democratic and no Republican could be elected to office. In 1890 he served as Deputy Assessor and Probate Clerk; in 1892 was elected Probate Clerk; in the same year was elected Alderman of the city, and in 1894 was nominated for Assessor, but was beaten by only seven votes. Mr. Romero was engaged in the mercantile business in Santa Fe from 1885 to 1891.
January 1, 1875, he was united in marriage with Miss L. Lopez, and they had one daughter, Maclovia, who only lived to the age of seven years. Mrs. Romero departed this life July 16, 1876. May 6, 1878, our subject married Miss Rita Lopez, a sister of his former wife, and they have had eight children, only three of whom survive – Agneda, Ignacio and Lorencita. The family are adherents to the Catholic faith, and have done their full share in aiding the church in the building of the many fine edifices that are an ornament to the city. Notwithstanding his father was a Democrat, Mr. Romero cast his first vote with the Republican party, and has since given it his faithful support. He has a wide and favorable acquaintance and much influence in the county.
THEODORE RONAULT, one of the successful business men of Las Cruces, is a native of France, born on the 29th of May, 1851. His ancestors had lived for some generations in that country, and were prominent in professional and business circles there.
For seven years he was a trusted and capable salesman in the store of William Dessanat, and in 1886 he bought out his employer, carrying on business on his own account for the past nine years. He has a large and complete stock of general merchandise and by fair and honest dealing, courteous treatment and earnest endeavor to please his patrons he has secured a large and constantly increasing patronage. One of the greatest marvels of this age is the amount of work for good or ill that may be accomplished by one man. That one intellect can be the motive power of many enterprises, which may work incalculable weal or woe to his fellow beings and bring each and every one to a successful termination, awakens our wonder and respect. Such an intellect is possessed by Mr. Ronault, who has been an important factor in the development of the county. He furnished the supplies to the Pinos Altos mines while they were being opened, and in 1892 he established a fruit-canning factory, which has also proved a profitable investment. He is now canning the different varieties of fruits raised in the Mesilla valley, and extensively engaged in raising vegetables on his ninety-acre ranch. He has sixty acres planted to tomatoes, and also has a grape vineyard, and a winery and distillery, in which he manufactures choice wines and grape brandy. He has a good demand for these products and ships his goods to different towns in this section of the country and even as far as New Orleans. Mr. Ronault has cleared in his business in three years $15,000. He is a typical representative of that class of American citizens who enhance the general welfare while promoting individual prosperity. He has built several residences in the town and is the owner of a large double brick dwelling. He is a man of the utmost reliability in business affairs, deserving the confidence and esteem in which he is held, and in the history of the Territory is well deserving of mention.
In 1881 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Ronault and Miss Margaret Garcia, a native of New Mexico, and a descendant of one of the most prominent families of the Territory. They now have five children, all born in Las Cruces, namely: Theodore J., Ernst, Mary, Theresa and Margaret.
Wm. L. Rynerson
The subject of this sketch has held most of the places of honor and trust at the disposal of the people of this Territory. As a citizen of New Mexico he is universally esteemed, and his unflinching integrity at once commands the confidence and respect of his fellow-men. He is one of those honorable men who risked life and limb in our country's defense, and to such men should be awarded the highest office in their capacity to fill or the power of the people to bestow. Col. Rynerson was born February 22, 1828, in Mercer County, Kentucky. He entered Franklin College, Indiana, but left before graduating, going to California in 1852 during the great gold excitement. On the breaking out of the war, in 1861, he enlisted in Company C, California Volunteers, under Gen. Carleton, and proceeded to New Mexico. Shortly after his enlistment, he was promoted successively to second lieutenant, first lieutenant and adjutant. He served until 1864, when he was promoted to captain and assistant quartermaster of the United States Volunteers, in which service he continued until the close of the war. He was discharged November 3, 1866, when he was brevetted major and lieutenant-colonel for meritorious services. After the war, he remained for some time in New Mexico engaged in mining. In 1870 he was admitted to the bar and since then has practiced his profession. In 1871 he was married to Mrs. John Lemon. Col. Rynerson was appointed adjutant-general under Governor Pile of New Mexico; he has served two terms in the legislative council of this Territory, also two terms as district attorney of the third judicial district. In 1880 he was appointed delegate to the national convention held in Chicago which nominated James A. Garfield for president. In politics Col. Rynerson is a stanch Republican, and, while always active in the Republican ranks, he has not sought office, though he has many years been prominent in the Republican councils and has frequently been urged for high stations to be filled by the State conventions of that party and is now a member of the National Republican Committee of New Mexico. Col. Rynerson has been prominently identified with the Masonic order from his twenty-first birthday; he is a member of the Knights Templar and has reached the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite. He was one of the organizers of the New Mexico Grand Lodge of Masons and is now Past Grand Master of that order. Col. Rynerson is full of enterprise, and although nearly sixty-five years old has the vim and energy of a man in the prime of life. He is the personification of integrity, and as a useful citizen and a worthy man commands the respect and esteem of all who know him. ["New Mexico, The Spanish Conquest to the Present Time", by Helen Haines pub. 1891 - Transcribed by Pat Houser]
BENJAMIN SCOTT, born in Mt. Stirling, Montgomery County, Ky., November 13, 1839. He received a common school education, and at the age of eighteen removed to Missouri, where he resided three years, engaged in various occupations. On the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Company G, First Missouri Cavalry, under Col. Gates, in which company he served with distinction until the close of the war. The subsequent thirteen years were spent in Texas. From there he removed to Arizona and engaged in the cattle business successfully for several years. In 1889 he came to New Mexico, settling in Las Cinces; he engaged in the livery business, which he is at present conducting and doing well. ["New Mexico, The Spanish Conquest to the Present Time", by Helen Haines pub. 1891 - Transcribed by Pat Houser]
Edmund G. Shields
Among the young men of New Mexico none have brighter prospects for the future, or give better promise of fulfilling the expectations of sincere well wishers and devoted friends, than he whose name appears above. He was born in Hannibal, Mo., June 19, 1854. He received a common school education in Missouri, and from 1869 to 1875 he was employed as civil engineer. He then removed to St. Louis, Mo., and studied law with Henderson & Shields. In 1879 he came to New Mexico and was employed as civil engineer on the A., T. & S. F. R. R. He was Chief Engineer of the S. C. D. &. P. R. R. until 1884, when he resigned to accept the position of register of the United States land office, to which position he was appointed by President Cleveland. He was admitted to the bar in 1888. On December 12, 1881, he was married to Miss Ella Speck of St. Louis. Mr. Shields is a prominent politician and is one of the leading spirits of the Democratic party; and is a representative citizen, interested in all matters pertaining to the public welfare; he is active, energetic, and untiring. He is strictly conscientious in his public acts, and none dare assail his honor. A bright future is in store for him. ["New Mexico, The Spanish Conquest to the Present Time", by Helen Haines pub. 1891 - Transcribed by Pat Houser]
OLLIN E. SMITH – New Mexico has many able and eminent members of the legal fraternity, and prominent among these is Mr. Smith, the pioneer lawyer of Union county, now residing in Clayton. A native of Alabama, he was born in Waverly on the 22nd of December, 1869, and possesses many of the strongest and best characteristics of his Scotch and English ancestors. His great-grandfather, Richard Smith, was the progenitor of the family in America, and on crossing the Atlantic took up his residence in South Carolina, settling near Columbia, where he became a prominent planter. His son William, the grandfather of our subject, was born on that plantation and inherited a large property in land and slaves. He became the father of Giles T. Smith, who also was born on the old estate, and there spent his boyhood and youth. In Pea Ridge, Alabama, he married Miss Martha Martin, a native of Savannah, Georgia, whose people were of English lineage, and belonged to one of the early Georgia families. They removed to Pea Ridge, Alabama, where was celebrated the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. They had two children – Ollin E. and Mrs. J.A. Rowe, whose husband is serving as Mayor of Dadeville, Alabama. The mother of this family died at the age of forty-five years, but the father is still living and has now reached the age of sixty-five.
Mr. Smith is a college graduate, and in his earlier manhood successfully followed the profession of teaching for several years. He is to-day a man of broad general information, who keeps well versed on all subjects of general interest as well as in the line of his profession. He creditably served in the Confederate army during the Civil War, and being captured by the Union forces he for two years was held a prisoner at Fort Delaware. He was several times wounded and saw much hard service, but he valiantly defended the cause which he believed to be right. He and his faithful wife were members of the Methodist Church, and were people of the highest respectability. In his old age, he now enjoys the esteem of all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance.
Ollin E. Smith was educated in the Dadeville College, near the place of his birth, after which he began preparation for the legal profession by reading law under the instruction of ex-Senator T.L. Bulger. He also served as Assistant Register in Chancery, under Mr. Bulger, for some time, and in 1890, after passing the required examination, was admitted to the bar, at Rockford, Alabama.
For two years, Mr. Smith practiced at Pratt City, Alabama, but his health failed him and he was advised to repair to New Mexico; accordingly, in 1893, he became a resident of Clayton. The act had been passed creating the county of Union, but he arrived before it went into effect. He has since been active in the upbuilding of the county, in its development and advancement, and his identification with its interests has been a profit to the county as well as to himself. Opening a law office here he at once began practice and has secured a liberal clientage, which comes to him as the result of his skill and ability. In argument he is convincing and his thorough preparation of cases is shown in his success. In politics, Mr. Smith is connected with the Democracy, and was nominated by his party for the Territorial Legislature in 1894, but he declined the nomination, believing it better to devote his entire time and energies to his law practice. He is a well read and talented lawyer, a fluent speaker, and, although he engages in general practice, he makes a specialty of criminal law. Socially he is valued and prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, being numbered among the chartered members of the lodge in Clayton.
HON. JOHN P. VICTORY, Solicitor-General of the Territory of New Mexico, was born in Brooklyn, New York, September 10, 1837. His father, James Victory, emigrated from county Longford, Ireland, in 1826, then a young man, and located in Brooklyn, where he was married to Miss Catharine Brennan, also a native of that country. He was engaged in contracting and building in that city until his death, which occurred in 1876, at the age of seventy-two years. His wife had departed this life in 1837, soon after the birth of the subject of this sketch.
The latter, the only survivor of the family, attended the pay schools in his neighborhood and one year in St. James Academy, after which he entered the law office of Greenwood & Tucker. He was admitted to the bar at Poughkeepsie, New York, and was immediately appointed City Attorney of his native city, in which capacity he served two years. Mr. Victory continued the practice of law in that city until 1866; from that time until 1883 he followed his profession in New York city, residing a portion of the time in Richmond county; and then, on account of failing health, he came to Santa Fe, New Mexico. He opened an office in this city, and soon became one of the leading members of the bar of the Territory. During his residence here he has been fully identified with the affairs of the city. For five years he served as director of the city schools, and in 1889 was elected County School Superintendent, was one of the promoters of the incorporation of Santa Fe, and was the first City Attorney, having held the position under both Democratic and Republican rule. In 1893 Mr. Victory received the appointment of Assistant Secretary of the Territory, in which he served until January, 1895. In the fall of 1894 he was elected to the Legislative Council of New Mexico, and during the session of the legislature of 1895 proved an active and influential member of that body. He served in the Council as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, the Committee on Public Institutions, the Committee on Education, and other important bodies auxiliary to legislation. On January 7, 1895, Governor Thornton appointed Mr. Victory Solicitor-General of the Territory, upon the duties of which office he entered March 4, 1895.
General Victory was married in January, 1864, to Miss Kate C. Marshall, of New York city, and they had four children, three of whom are now alive: Vincent, a lawyer in New York city; Marie Loretta and Alma D. The wife and mother died in 1876. In August, 1890, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Mary Maltby, daughter of Norman Maltby, one time Mayor of the city of Sedalia, Missouri. She is a lineal descendant of William Cox, one of the participants in and the last survivor of the celebrated Boston Tea Party, and she is a sister of Mrs. Governor Thornton. Mr. and Mrs. Victory have a little son, Thornton Maltby, born in Santa Fe. Mrs. Victory is a member of the Episcopal Church. General Victory was reared a Catholic and has always been a faithful adherent to the church. He owns a two-acre block, on which he has built a beautiful residence, and has planted the grounds with trees and vines. Their home commands a beautiful view of the city and mountains, and they live surrounded by all the things which taste and culture can dictate, fortunate in the enjoyment of many blessings and firmly established in the high esteem of hosts of friends.
Thomas Woodruff Walker
(1833 - 1890)
WALKER, THOMAS WOODRUFF, born at New Albany, Floyd County, Indiana, June M, (sic) 1833; son of Thomas B. and Mary (Woodruff) Walker; married Henrietta C. Dayton at Newark, New Jersey, April 1, 1863; daughter, Marie W.
Appointed to West Point from Indiana, 1852; graduated July 1,1856, and promoted to 2d lieutenant, 3d U.S. Infantry; served on frontier duty at Fort Defiance, New Mexico, 1857-1860; engaged in skirmishes with Navajo Indians near that Post May 30 and September 19, 1858; mentioned in General Orders as being actively engaged in action against Navajos at Banchos de los Arrogoneses, southwest of Ojo de Oso, New Mexico, October 10, 1858, when 25 Indians were killed or badly wounded; participated in expedition against Tuni-cha Navajo Indians, November, 1859.
Promoted 1st Lieutenant April 11, and Captain May 20, 1861; Brevet Major for gallant and meritorious conduct at the battle of Gaines Mill, Virginia, June 27, 1862, where he commanded a Regiment; participated in the battles of Manassas, Antietam, Fredericksburg and other serious engagements during the Civil War; retired for disability resulting from exposure and sickness in line of duty, September 11, 1863.
Detailed under the Act of July 28, 1866, as Military Instructor at Norwich University, Vermont, and served as President of that institution from February 13, 1867 to May 28, 1868, when he was compelled to resign because of ill health, admitted to the bar and practiced law at Vineland, New Jersey, 1874-83; traveled extensively in Europe, 1883-88; died at South Wilton, a suburb of Norwalk, Fairfield County, Connecticut, December 9, 1890, aged 57; buried in Riverside Cemetery, Norwalk, Connecticut; W. D, 522,849. Series 1, Vol. 11, 12, 21.
[Transcribed from information gathered from this site http://www.asu.edu/lib/archives]
A.G. WELLS – The great railway systems of the country are recognized as having ever been the most important factors in bearing triumphantly forward the standard of development and progress in all the arts and industry of advanced civilization, and in their projection, construction and operation have been enlisted men of intellect and notable capacity; in fact only such men are available in insuring the success of this great public service of the nation.
The subject of this review holds the responsible preferment as General Superintendent of the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad, his official headquarters being maintained in Albuquerque, the eastern terminus of the road, which has been of inestimable benefit in furthering the progress and development of the important section of the Southwest which it traverses. Detailed reference to the system will be found under individual heading in this volume. Mr. Wells has been long and conspicuously identified with railroading enterprises, and standing at the head of one of the important arteries of commerce touching the city of his residence it is scarcely necessary to say that he is regarded as one of her representative men, thus making it clearly incumbent that his life history should find place in this compilation.
Arthur G. Wells is a native of the Province of Ontario, Canada, having been born at Guelph, on the 18th of November, 1861, the son of Arthur and Georgina Wells, prominent residents of the Dominion. His educational discipline was secured in the public schools of his native town, where he completed a course of study in the high school. In the year 1876 he began his railroad career as a machinist’s apprentice in St. Joseph, Missouri, where he remained until he became an expert in this line of work. Later on he was made clerk to the master mechanic of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, with headquarters at Aurora, Illinois. We next find him holding the position as clerk to the purchasing agent for the Mexico Central Railroad, with headquarters in the city of Chicago. Later he became a clerk to the superintendent of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, being located at San Marcial, Socorro county, New Mexico.
He first became connected with the Atlantic & Pacific system in 1882, when he was given the position as chief clerk of the general superintendent, subsequently becoming trainmaster of the road. In 1886 he became the assistant of the general manager of the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad, four years later was given the preferment as general superintendent of the Ohio, Indiana & Washington system, being the incumbent until that road was bought in by the C.C.C. & St. L. Ry., when he became superintendent of the Peoria division and later of the Indianapolis & St. Louis divisions of the same system, and in January, 1895, he resumed his connection with the Atlantic & Pacific, accepting the office which he now fills – that of general superintendent, to the discharge of the duties of which he brings a thorough experience and an intimate knowledge of all the essential details of operation.
Notwithstanding the fact that Mr. Wells is still a young man, he has had a very extended and conspicuous identification with practical railroading, and that his executive ability is of distinguished order is shown in his having held offices of so great importance and responsibility.
In 1884 Mr. Wells was united in marriage to Miss Gertrude Barnard, a native of Greenville, Ontario, and the daughter of Mr. J.F. Barnard, a prominent railroad man of this country. They are the parents of two children: Helen Audley and Louis Ingalls Barnard.
W.A. WHITE – As representing an art which has attained its maximum of perfection within the past decade and as holding a position among the leading business men of the thriving village of Raton, the gentleman whose name initiates this review must assuredly be accorded consideration in this connection.
A native of the old Buckeye State, Mr. White was born in Butler county, Ohio, on the 24th of March, 1847. He was fully orphaned when but a mere child, and from his early childhood has depended upon his own efforts and bravely fought the battle of life. His educational privileges were necessarily somewhat meager in extent, but being possessed of a quick mentality and marked receptivity, he has gained by absorption as it were, a thorough knowledge of business and a broad intellectual grasp. When only a lad of nine years he was employed in the harvest field where he labored “from early morn to dewy eve” for the princely stipend of twenty-five cents a day, and deemed that a large compensation. He earned the money at farm work which enabled him to prosecute his studies for some time in the public schools, but soon sterner duties devolved upon him, and his was not a nature to flinch therefrom.
He was but eighteen years of age when the thundering of Rebel guns from Fort Sumter swelled to a flood-tide the patriotism of an intrinsically loyal nature, and on the 14th of October he enlisted for service in the Union army as a member of Company I, Eighty-third Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Soon after his enlistment he was transferred to Company A, Forty-eighth Ohio Volunteers, in order to fill up it ranks, and with this regiment he served faithfully and well until the close of the war. He participated in the battles at Blakely and Selma, Georgia, and was in other engagements of minor note, being honorably discharged at Houston, Texas, on the 19th of October, 1865, his term of service having expired.
His military career having terminated, he remained at Galveston, Texas, for a time and was engaged in railroad contracting, after which he turned his attention to the photographing business, and in 1881 came to Raton, and here opened a studio. His first location was on Front street, where he remained two years, after which he took possession of his present eligible quarters on Second street. He is a thorough master of the business, which is both a science and an art, and he has been accorded a very satisfactory patronage, his methods being fair and honorable, and his work standing as its own strongest commendation. His attractive studio is equipped with the latest modern appliances and accessories, and has exceptional facilities for turning out work of the highest grade. He owns a 20x24 inch lens, the same being the largest photographic lens used in the Territory, while other accessories include a flash-light apparatus and an electric retouching machine.
In politics our subject is a stanch Republican and fraternally he is very prominently identified with the Grand Army of the Republic, retaining a membership in Sedgwick Post, No. 2, of Raton, in which he has filled nearly all the official positions. He is known and honored as one of the reliable and progressive business men of the village.
On the 17th of June, 1886, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. White and Miss Mattie McCalister, a native of Texas, the wedding ceremony being performed in Raton. They are the parents of five children: William, Edith May, Virginia, Mable and Margeritte.
CALVIN WHITING – This gentleman, who is the builder of the fine block in the city of Albuquerque which bears his name, is a native of the State of New York, whence came so many of the solid citizens of the West.
He was born at Ballston, Saratoga county, on the 26th day of July, 1855. His ancestors were of English Puritan stock, who were early settlers of Massachusetts, and Mr. Whiting’s grandfather, Reuben Whiting, fought in the Revolutionary war and afterward lived to be ninety years of age. His son, Johnathan Whiting, who was the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Saratoga county, New York, where he became one of the most widely and favorably known citizens of the Empire State. He was an extensive lumber manufacturer, and for many years did an immense business in this line in New York State and Canada. He married Miss Hester M. Gilbert, a native of his own county, and to them were born seven children, only three of whom are now living. The father died at the age of fifty-seven years, and his beloved wife passed away when in her fifty-third year.
Calvin, the subject of this sketch, was the fifth child. He graduated at Princeton College in 1879, and then pursued a course of study at the Columbia College School of Law, at which he graduated in 1882. He practiced his profession in his native town for three years, and then, because of failing health, came to Albuquerque, in 1887. While resting and recuperating here he became impressed with the idea that Albuquerque had a bright future and was destined to become a place of importance. He therefore invested in property and embarked in the real-estate business. His intelligent foresight proved profitable, and soon he was engaged in enterprises which aided in the betterment of the appearance and condition of the city, as well as proving remunerative to himself. Mr. Whiting built a number of residences, all substantial brick structures, and in 1891 had completed the Whiting Block, a handsome building which seems a fitting monument to the gentleman’s enterprise. The structure is built on the southwest corner of Gold avenue and Second street, one of the best locations in the city. It is 50x142 feet in length, of a substantial but pleasing style of architecture, and contains five fine stores on the first floor and twenty-five office rooms in the second story. Since the organization of the Co-operative Building and Loan Association of this city, Mr. Whiting has had its general management, and the association has grown and prospered until now it has a quarter of a million of capital. By means of its aid nearly one hundred houses have been built, and it has thus proven a valuable factor in the growth and prosperity of the city.
Mr. Whiting was married on the 24th of October, 1888, to Miss Grace Western Hogan, of his own native place, and they have one daughter, Eleanor.
In politics he is a Republican, a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and besides being a man of extensive business ability, is by nature and education a gentleman of refinement and culture. As a citizen of Albuquerque he has been a leading spirit in the building up of the city, and his unbounded faith in the eventual growth and prosperity of the place has been correctly verified.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails