Biographies for Eddy County

William I. Church, auditor, cashier and general freight and passenger agent of the Pecos Valley Railroad, now living in Eddy, has throughout his entire life been connected with the railroad service. Personally, he is, in his business and social relations, a most delightful companion, courteous to all and at the same time a man of force and keen tact. Quick to solve intricate business problems and to judge their merits accurately, he has justly won the responsible position which he is now filling in a most creditable manner.

Mr. Church was born on the 15th of July, 1863, in Antioch, Monroe county, Ohio, and acquired the greater part of his education in Sabina, Ohio. In 1870 the family removed to Ottawa, Kansas, but subsequently returned to Sabina, where our subject learned telegraphy, taking up the profession at a very early age. When a youth of thirteen he was competent to handle the office at Sabina, and in fact did so for three months, while his uncle, who was the regular operator, was away. He continued his residence in that place and his connection with the railroad office for three years, and then accepted a position at Washington Court House, Ohio, where he remained for one year, as freight clerk and operator. His practice during this time had made him very efficient, and he was competent to fill a more important position.

In 1880 Mr. Church went to Galveston, Texas, in the employ of the Western Union Telegraph Company as an operator, in which capacity he served for five years. He was then promoted to the position of night manager of the office, and acceptably served as such for seven years. It was about this time that his friend, Mr. Miller, superintendent of the Pecos Valley Railroad, wanting a competent man in the auditor's and cashier's department, offered the position to Mr. Church, who accepted it, acting as clerk in these departments until August, 1894, when he was made general freight and passenger agent. A year later the duties of auditor and cashier were added, with a corresponding increase in salary, and he now has charge of a large and important branch of the business of many. His rise has been rapid, but he has been a hard worker and his promotion has come to him as the reward of faithful and meritorious service.

While in Galveston, Mr. Church was made a Mason and took the Royal Arch degrees. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias fraternity. On the 16th of January, 1881, he was joined in wedlock with Miss Mary Rinker, a native of Galveston, Texas, and they have one child, Ingram, born June 29, 1884.  [Source:  "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]


Charles Bishop Eddy
Charles Bishop Eddy was born in Milford, New York, in 1857. His father was a successful merchant there, and had become quite wealthy. Charles Bishop and his brother, John Arthur, who was four years older, decided to try their success in the west and, with the help of an uncle, founded the Eddy-Bissell Cattle Company in southern Colorado in the early1880's. Charles Eddy then traveled further west by stagecoach and settled in the lower Pecos Valley. He acquired  a ranch called Halagueno, and a herd of cattle in the Southeaster section of Lincoln County, now present day Eddy County. Charles Eddy left the Pecos Valley after a while and went to Colorado and tinkered in mining , although he had no interest in the mining trade. Early on  Pat Garrett and John Hagerman and Eddy were involved in the water irrigation plans that failed, and were taken over by Hagerman.  Charles Eddy   realized the need for a good attorney to represent them, and were fortunate enough to find a young lawyer from Silver City named William Ashton Hawkins..

Charles Bishop Eddy had convinced a wealthy mining man from Colorado, named James John Hagerman, to invest heavily in the Pecos irrigation project and also his plan to organize a railroad line from Pecos, Texas to Eddy, which would later be extended on to Roswell. Despite vigorous efforts, the project continued to be unsuccessful financially, and required more and more capital in order to stay solvent. Because of this, serious conflicts arose between Hagerman and Charles Eddy. The two were both strong willed, and constantly battled over the decisions that had to be made. By July 1898, the Pecos Irrigation and Improvement Company had been declared insolvent, and went into receivership at that time.

Charles Bishop Eddy and his brother had earlier decided it was in their best interest to pursue other projects, pull out of the irrigation situation, and leave it in the hands of Hagerman to overcome. This action left a bad taste in the mouths of many people in Eddy, since Charles Bishop had been the president of the Eddy Bank and president of the newly formed railroad, in addition to his position on the irrigation project. An election was held, and the name of the town was officially changed from Eddy to Carlsbad, its present name." Excerpts taken from the Mountain Monthly"

John Franklin, District Attorney for Eddy and Chaves counties and a member of the bar of Eddy, New Mexico, was born in Columbus, Mississippi, October 16, 1870, but spent his early boyhood in Arkansas. His father, Dr. S. W. Franklin, was also a native of Mississippi, and served as a surgeon in the Civil war. In 1872 he removed his family to Hot Springs, Arkansas, where he now resides and practices his profession. The ancestry of the family were closely identified with the growth and history of New York city. The great-grandfather of our subject owned large landed interests there, and the place now included in Franklin Square was a part of his property, and was named in his honor.

The gentleman whose name introduces this review was educated in the schools of Hot Springs and in the University of Mississippi, located in Oxford, where he pursued a four years course. He then entered the University of Virginia, remaining in that institution for seven months, when he went, in response to an invitation, to deliver the annual address before the literary societies of the University of Mississippi at Oxford, that State, in 1890. From that place he went to New York city, where he pursued the study of law in an attorney's office for one year, and then came to the West, being admitted to the bar in New Mexico. After locating in Eddy he was elected twice to the office of City Attorney, and in 1895 was appointed District Attorney.  [Source:  "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]


Patrick Floyd Garrett
Patrick Floyd Garrett was born June 5 1850 in Chamber County, Alabama, the son of Col, John L Garrett and Elizabeth Jarvis. He died February 28, 1908.in Dona Ana County, New Mexico. He grew up on a prosperous Louisiana plantation near Haynesville in Claiborne Parish.   After the death of his parents and a disagreeable estate settlement among the children Garrett left his home and moved to  Texas, first settling in Dallas County, Texas .  After almost 10 years of drifting around Texas, in 1879 Garrett finally settled in Lincoln County, New Mexico, where he won election as sheriff on November 7, 1880. During this time Lincoln County was in the final days of a war between two powerful groups of ranchers and businessmen, both of which had hired former cowboys to become illegal soldiers and assassins. When a reward was posted for Billy The Kid, Garrett set out to track him down and bring him in.

After a failed attempt to ambush the Kid near Fort Sumner in December 1880, Garrett tracked him to a cabin near Stinking Springs, New Mexico, where he finally arrested the young gunslinger. A Lincoln County jury quickly found the Kid guilty of murder and sentenced him to hang, but while Garrett was out of town on April 28, 1881, Billy the Kid managed to kill two of his guards and escape. Garrett tracked the kid to  Fort Sumner on the night of July 14, 1881 and shot him dead.

In 1884, after failing to be elected a state senator, Garrett became captain of the LS Texas Rangers, a group of rangers sent by Governor John Ireland to the Panhandle to protect ranchers from rustlers. He served only a few weeks and then moved to Roswell, New Mexico, where he devised irrigation plans along with Charles Eddy. It was Pat Garrett that devised the original plan for obtaining water for the arid lands. Garrett with his limited ability to promote such a large project left the formalities to Eddy to handle.  Garrett became a stockholder but financial straits caused to him to pull out of the dealings with Eddy. He then moved to  Uvalde, Texas, where he lived from 1891 to 1896. In 1896 New Mexico governor William T. Thornton asked him to become the Dona Ana County Sheriff. In 1901, President Theodore Roosevelt appointed Garrett customs collector in El Paso, but did not reappoint him in 1906. Garrett returned to his ranch in the San Andres Mountains in southern New Mexico.

The shooting of Billy The Kid  earned Garrett  admiration from some and hatred from others. It is definitely known that Garrett left a lot of enemies in his wake. Garrett was fond of drinking and gambling which left him often broke and in dire straits.  Yet he always favored the side of the law. It is believed Garret was set up to die as he himself had tracked down outlaws. Pat Garrett was murdered on February 28, 1908, on a  mesquite covered desert mail road a few miles east of Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is still unproven who actually shot Pat Garrett not once, but twice. The head wound to the back of the head causing the mortal wound.

Theodore Roosevelt to Patrick J. Hurley; Secretary of War under Herbert Hoover. In a letter to Oscar Garrett, son of Pat, Hurley wrote: "When your father was killed, President Roosevelt made a statement  to the effect that Pat Garrett was not only the man who upheld' the arm of the law and order in New Mexico, he was the first man to introduce law and order. In my time and yours, I hope that we will be able to see that justice is done to the character of the greatest New Mexican, Pat Garrett."

The first wife of Patrick Floyd Garrett was Juanita Gutiérrez whom he married in 1877, after her death a few months later he married her sister Apolinaria in January 14, 1880. Apoliinaria was born Feb. 1862. The children of Juanita and  Pat Garrett were Ida, Elizabeth born Nov 1884, Dudley Poe born June 1882, Annie G. born Nov 1887, Patrick Floyd born Feb 1896, Pauline born Sept 1899, Oscar Lohman, and Jarvis Powers Garrett. Note the 1910 census of Las Cruces New Mexico lists the mother of Apolinaria as Felciana Valdez. The oldest daughter Ida was deceased as of the 1900 census. Interesting to note Pat Garrett's first wife Juanita was buried in the same cemetery as  Billy The Kid  Fort Sumner, New Mexico


Charles Goodnight
Charles Goodnight was born in Macoupin County, Illinois, on 5th March, 1836.the fourth child of Charles and Charlotte (Collier) Goodnight. After the death of his father his mother took him to live in Milam County, Texas.

In 1857 Goodnight became a Texas Ranger and fought during the Indian Wars.  He also became an Indian scout and was involved in the killing of the Comanche chief, Peta Nocona. He also served as a scout during the Civil War. After the war Goodnight decided to become involved in the cattle business. He joined up with Oliver Loving to take cattle from Fort Belknap in Texas to Fort Sumner in New Mexico. The trail they traveled moving the  herds of cattle became known as the Goodnight-Loving trail. In 1867 after the death of his good friend Oliver Loving, Goodnight continued to organize cattle drives of his own.

In 1871 Goodnight joined forces with John Chisum and they extended the trail from Alamogordo Creek to Granda, Colorado. Charles Goodnight finally settled in  Palo Duro Canyon in Texas, where he raised Durham, Hereford and Angus cattle. This venture was a great success and he soon had a million acres of land and 100,000 head of cattle. He cross bred Longhorn with  Hereford cattle to produce excellent beef animals. He also tried to cross his cattle with buffalo. Though he was unsuccessful doing so he still continued to create cattle trails. In 1877 Goodnight joined forces with John G. Adair to create a trail from his farm to Dodge City. In 1880 Goodnight established the Panhandle Stockman's Association to rid the region of outlaws. The organization also attempted to improve the quality of the regions cattle. Charles Goodnight died in Tucson, Arizona, on 12th December, 1929.

James John Hagerman
James John  Hagerman was born March 23, 1838, near Port Hope, Ontario, in Canada. His parents were James and Margaret (Crawford) Hagerman, immigrants of Scandinavian descent. The family moved to Newport, Michigan, in 1843. The family became naturalized American citizens in 1848Hagerman went to the University of Michigan in 1857. While in college, Hagerman took a job as a clerk with the Milwaukee Iron Company, a manufacturer of railroad ties. He continued working there after graduation in 1861, and by 1863 had so impressed the company's owners that he was made business manager of the firm. Hagerman married Anna Osborne in 1867. The couple had two sons, Percy and Herbert. James. J. Hagerman contracted pulmonary tuberculosis in 1873. Although he recovered, his health was greatly weakened for the remainder of his life.

As the country recovered from the Panic of 1873, Hagerman anticipated the increased need for iron ore. When the Menominee Mining Company was organized in 1877, Hagerman became an investor in and president of the firm. Using his knowledge of iron deposits gained while working for the Milwaukee Iron Co., Hagerman enabled the firm to become highly successful. The company's first successful iron operation was the Norway Mine. Hagerman built the nearby town of Norway, Michigan, to provide housing and services for the company's employees. Hagerman's health deteriorated in 1881, and he moved to Switzerland. The family soon left for Italy, and purchased a residence in Milan After his health improved he moved back to Colorado. He then became in contact with Charles Eddy who sought him ought for financial backing. Against the wishes of his wife thus began the adventures of Hagerman into the irrigation of Eddy County.

J. J. Hagerman is considered one of the most important men in New Mexico history. Along with John Chisum, Charles Eddy and Robert Tansill, Hagerman deeply influenced development of the Carlsbad area. The development of railroads and irrigation in the region would not have occurred nearly as quickly without his financial backing and business acumen. He founded and built up towns and cities, donated large plots of land for public and educational use, and in general is considered one of the 'founders' of modern New Mexico


William Ashton Hawkins
William Ashton Hawkins was born in Huntingdon, West Tennessee on April 6, 1861. He attended schools in Huntingdon, and began the study of law in the office of his uncle, Alvin Hawkins, who later became governor of Tennessee. During his uncle’s term as governor, Hawkins moved to Nashville, attended law school at Vanderbilt University, and got a job in the State House. After the death of his wife and child in Silver City New Mexico. He traveled to Nashville to bury his wife and child. Upon his return he had two offers for employment one was from an old friend, Ed Doheny, who had left Silver City for California, and would later become one of the wealthiest men in America through his oil business. He hoped to mine the La Brea tar pits in Los Angeles to make road pavement, and wanted Hawkins to join him. The second offer was a telegram from Santa Fe stating, “I hope you will be able to come to Santa Fe and talk with me. I have a proposition I think would be very interesting to you.” It was simply signed, “Eddy.” The telegram was very intriguing, and Hawkins was torn between the two offers. He took the stage to Deming and had decided he would get on the first train that was leaving - either to the east or to the west. The first train to leave went east to El Paso, where he boarded a train to Santa Fe and a meeting with Charles Bishop Eddy.

Hawkins accompanied Charles Bishop Eddy on a promotional trip to New York, where they talked to bankers and capitalists, outlining plans for the formation of corporations and establishment of bond issues necessary for the promotion and construction of the El Paso and Northeastern Railroad from El Paso northward. Hawkins then guided Eddy through all the legal trials and tribulations involved. He recommended that Eddy establish a $10,000 bond with the El Paso City Council, which convinced them that the Eddy company meant business, and should be the railroad they would deal with. Hawkins from there on became the attorney for Eddy. He performed various legal duties securing legal documents and deeds for Eddy. It soon became apparent that the project was eventually doomed to failure. Floods on the Pecos washed out dams and canals, requiring more capital to continue, and Eddy’s relationship with investor James John Hagerman was a touchy arrangement with both men being strong willed and argumentative. In July of 1898, the Pecos Irrigation and Improvement Company was declared insolvent, and went into receivership. The Eddy brothers had previously announced they were retiring from the Pecos Valley, and that Hagerman would carry on with the project. Charles Eddy told Hawkins of a new plan to form a railroad and so Hawkins moved on with Eddy. Hawkins could have stayed in Eddy and helped Hagerman, but chose instead to move to El Paso and form a law practice there in 1895. He continued to serve as the Eddy brothers’ attorney until 1905. He then was elected to the Territorial Legislature where he represented Dona Ana, Grant, Luna and Otero counties. William Ashton Hawkins died in Albuquerque on June 22, 1939 at the age of 78, after an eventful life. He argued that he had accomplished nothing great in life; that he had only done the best he could through the gifts with which he had been endowed.


John W. Kinsinger, M. D.
John W. Kinsinger, M. D., devotes his time and energies to the practice of  medicine, and his close application, combined with his abilities, both natural and acquired, has given him a prominence in the profession which might well be envied by many an older practitioner.

He was born in Pulaski, Davis county, Iowa, on the 16th of May, 1863, and acquired his education in Bloomfield, same State, where he pursued a classical course and was graduated in 1883. The following year he entered the College of Medicine and Surgery at Cincinnati, and on completing the curriculum of the three-years course was granted a diploma and the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He first opened an office in Utica, Iowa, where he remained for two years, when he returned to Pulaski, serving on the staff in the hospital in Bloomfield until the fall of 1891.

At that date the Doctor left the State of his nativity and came to New Mexico, taking up his abode in Eddy. Here he opened an office, and not long after his arrival he received an appointment as City Physician, still serving in that capacity. The following year he was made County Physician, which position he still holds. He has built up a large general practice and his patronage is constantly increasing as his skill is demonstrated. He is a young man devoted to his profession, and does all in his power to perfect himself in his chosen calling, keeping thoroughly abreast of the times by his review of the leading medical magazines and periodicals. He is now serving as chief surgeon of the Pecos Valley railroad, having held that office since the establishment of the road to this point.

In 1887 the Doctor was united in marriage with Miss Florence Richards, a native of Kentucky, where the wedding was celebrated. The lady died in 1889, leaving one child, Hollie. The Doctor afterward married Miss Leonora Richards, a sister of his first wife, and they have two children – Hugh and Marie. The Doctor is a Royal Arch Mason, and one of the highly esteemed citizens of Eddy.

Source:  "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team
Oliver Loving

Oliver Loving, cattle driver, son of Joseph and Susannah Mary Loving, was born in Hopkins County, Kentucky, on December 4, 1812. On January 12, 1833, he married Susan Doggett Morgan, and for the next ten years he farmed in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. The Loving' s became the parents of nine children, four of whom were born in Texas. In 1843 Loving and his brother and brother-in-law moved their families to Texas. In the Peters colony, Loving received 639.3 acres of land in three patents and counties-Collin, Dallas, and Parker. The family stopped for a year in Lamar County and had settled in Collin County before 1850. Loving farmed and, to feed his growing family, hauled freight. By 1855 the Loving's had moved to the future Palo Pinto county, where they ran a country store near Keechi Creek and ranched. The first assessment roll of Palo Pinto County, taken in 1857, listed Loving with 1,000 acres of land. To market his large herd, Loving drove them out of Texas. In 1857 he entrusted his nineteen-year-old son, William, to drive his and his neighbors' cattle to Illinois up the Shawnee Trail. The drive made a profit of thirty-six dollars a head and encouraged Loving to repeat the trek successfully the next year with John Durkee.

During the war Loving was commissioned to drive cattle to Confederate forces along the Mississippi. When the war ended, the Confederate government reportedly owed him between $100,000 and $250,000. To make matters worse, the usual cattle markets were inadequate for the available supply. In 1866, having heard about the probable need for cattle at Fort Sumner, New Mexico, where some 8,000 Indians had been settled on a reservation, Loving gathered a herd, combined it with that of Charles Goodnight, and began a long drive to the fort. Their route later became known as the Goodnight-Loving Trail, although it had been used by other cattlemen. The trail followed the path of the Butterfield Overland Mail to the future site of Fort Concho and turned north at the Pecos, leading to Fort Sumner and on to Denver. The two cattlemen sold beef to the army for $12,000 in gold. Loving drove the stock cattle on to Colorado and sold them near Denver, while Goodnight returned to Weatherford, Texas, with the gold and for a second herd. The two men were reunited in southern New Mexico, where they established a ranch at Bosque Grande, about forty miles south of Fort Sumner. They spent the winter of 1866-67 there and supplied cattle from the ranch to Fort Sumner and Santa Fe.

In the spring of 1867 Loving and Goodnight returned to Texas, ready to start a new drive. The third drive was slowed by heavy rains and Indian threats. Loving went ahead of the herd for contract bidding. He took only Bill Wilson, a trusted scout, with him. Although he told Goodnight that he would travel at night through Indian country, Loving became impatient and pushed ahead during the day. His careless action brought an Indian attack in which he was seriously wounded. The weakened Loving sent Wilson back to the herd, eluded the Indians, and with the aid of Mexican traders reached Fort Sumner, only to die there of gangrene on September 25, 1867. Before Loving died Goodnight assured him that his wish to be buried in Texas would be carried out. After a temporary burial at Fort Sumner, while Goodnight drove the herd on to Colorado, Goodnight had Loving's body exhumed and carried home. Stories differ as to who accompanied the body back to Weatherford, but he was reburied there in Greenwood Cemetery on March 4, 1868, with Masonic honors. Loving has been inducted into the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City. Loving County, Texas, and Loving, New Mexico, are named in his honor.


J. F. Matheson
J. F. Matheson is connected with various business enterprises in Eddy, and has therefore been a promoter of the material welfare of the city. His operations have been extensive and varied and have not only advanced his individual prosperity, but have been of benefit to the community by accelerating commercial activity and furnishing employment to many.

Mr. Matheson is yet a young man. He was born in Taylorsville, North Carolina, in 1861, but was reared in East Tennessee, the home of the family being at Mossy Creek, Jefferson county. He was educated in the seminary two miles from the town of Black Oak Grove, and on leaving school engaged in farming, which pursuit he successfully followed in Tennessee until 1883. In that year he removed to Abilene, Texas, where he carried on farming, and also run a water wagon for a year. He then engaged with Pratt Brothers, dealers in wool and hides in Abilene for several years, and in 1889 went to Pecos, Texas, to represent the business of the firm at that place, where he continued until 1891.

Mr. Matheson then came to Eddy, as a representative of the same firm, and in 1894 bought out their business, now dealing in grain, wool and hides. His grain warehouse is a very large structure, and in 1894 he did an immense business, handling nearly all the grain sold to freighters for the upper Pecos country. In 1892 he purchased an ice-house and has since dealt in that commodity, receiving a liberal patronage. He is a wholesale dealer in beer, carries on a coal business, is agent for the Continental Oil Company, and has a large trade in wool and hides. He is one of the most enterprising and successful merchants of Eddy, and carries forward to prosperity, whatever he undertakes. He is also engaged with the financial affairs of the city as director of the bank.

On the 28th of November, 1883, Mr. Matheson was united in marriage with Miss Coride Hayworth, a native of Tennessee, and they now have one son, William Walter. Our subject is a member of the Masonic Lodge of Eddy, and is a gentleman of sterling worth, who has already achieved success that might well be regarded as the fitting reward of a life-time of earnest toil. There is every reason to believe that more brilliant successes yet await him in the future.  [Source:  "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]


C. H. McLenathen is the senior member of the firm of McLenathen & Tracy, real-estate dealers and insurance agents of Eddy, New Mexico. He was born at Upper Jay, Essex county, New York, on the 24th of September, 1853, and upon a farm spent his childhood and youth, his labors in the fields being alternated by attendance at the country schools of the neighborhood, where he remained until eighteen years of age. He then entered the academy at Elizabethtown, the county seat of his native county, where he was graduated at the age of twenty-one. Not long afterward he took up the study of law, becoming a student in the Albany Law School in 1876, and completing the prescribed course in 1877.

Desiring a change of climate Mr. McLenathen followed the star of empire westward, taking up his residence in Denver in 1880. For a year and a half he was engaged there in mining, and in the autumn of 1882 went to Seattle, Washington, where he remained until 1883. Going to California, he was engaged in the real-estate business at Berkeley, near Oakland, until the fall of 1888, and his dealings were crowned with a high degree of prosperity that comes through honorable effort, well directed energies, capable management and perseverance. In November, 1888, he removed to El Paso, Texas.

On his arrival in Eddy in 1889 Mr. McLenathen began handling the property of the Pecos Valley Town Company, including city lots and valley lands, probably selling two-thirds of all the property which had been disposed of by the company in Eddy up to the time they changed their plan of operations. The firm bought one tract west of town for $2,000, divided it into lots, a portion of which they sold for $1,800, and then disposed of the remainder for $10,000, in one year after making the purchase.

The operations of McLenathen & Tracy in real estate have been extensive and varied, and no one is more familiar with land values or more capable of conducting a prosperous business in this line than our subject. As a business man he has the entire confidence of the public and justly merits the esteem in which he is held. The firm of which he is the senior member is the only fire insurance firm in Eddy, and they do a large business.

The home life of Mr. McLenathen has been a happy one and his domestic ties are the strongest that he acknowledges. He was married in Berkeley, California, October 29, 1883, to Miss Ida Roscoe, a native of Essex county, New York. They have one child, a son, born October 10, 1892. Their pleasant home is located at La Huerta, adjoining Eddy, and is noted for its hospitality. There Mr. McLenathen has a five-acre tract of rich land under a high state of cultivation.

Mr. McLenathen has been an important factor in public affairs, and has given his support to all that tends to promote the social, educational and material welfare of the community. He was one of the committee appointed by Governor Prince to organize Eddy county, and after the organization was effected served as County Commissioner for two years. He also aided in the organization of the first school here, has ever been a warm friend of the cause, and is now serving as Treasurer of the School Board. He is also the present Town Treasurer, and is secretary of the Eddy Club, which has one of the finest club houses to be found in the West. A native of the Empire State, he has traveled across the continent to the Pacific and is now identified with the South. He is a man of broad experience, of liberal views, a high-minded gentleman whom to know is to honor. In manner he is pleasant and genial, and his friends are many.

Source:  "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team


Jeff N. Miller, general manager of the Pecos Valley railroad, living in A J Eddy, New Mexico, was born in Troy, Miami county, Ohio, May 6, 1857, and attended the public schools of his native place until eighteen years of age. When a youth of eleven he took up the study of telegraphy, and at the early age of thirteen he had mastered the profession. He spent his vacation in working in the railroad office of Troy, and at twenty years of age he left his old home for Jefferson, Texas, where he occupied the position of cashier for the Texas-Pacific Railroad Company. He had served in that capacity only four months, when he was promoted, becoming secretary to the general superintendent of the road at Marshall, Texas. He discharged the duties of that position for two years, and then became secretary in the service of the president and vice-president of the road, which position he occupied in all for thirteen years. During that time he also discharged the duties of assistant general manager, and his fidelity and trustworthiness were above question, winning him the commendation of his superior officers, while his thorough reliability gained him the respect of those over whom he had charge.

On the building of the Pecos Valley railroad, Mr. Miller was chosen as its general superintendent, and in February, 1892, was made general manager, which position he now occupies with headquarters at Eddy. He is also a director of the company, and every detail is within his grasp. He has a keen and comprehensive mind and quick intellect, which enables him to readily understand a situation and has been of great benefit to him in his business career.

Mr. Miller has also been a promoter of various other enterprises which have advanced the material welfare of the community. He is now general manager of the Eddy Electric Light & Ice Company, and general manager of the Eddy Water Works. He was the discoverer of the water which is three and a half miles north of the city and superintended the construction of the wells. He also had charge of the construction of the seventy-five miles of railroad between Eddy and Roswell.

On the 27th of September, 1882, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Miller and Miss Nellie Crane, a native of Troy, Ohio, and a most estimable lady, who in her new home has won many friends. Mr. Miller is very prominent in Masonic circles, being a Scottish-rite Mason, having attained to the thirty-second degree in Charleston, South Carolina. He is also a member of Commandery No. 6, Knights Templar, of Dallas, Texas; of Hella Temple, of Dallas, and Trojan Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of Troy, Ohio. When a man follows with indefatigable energy any pursuit for which his tastes and inclinations fit him, he wins success, and this Mr. Miller has done. He is a natural railroad man, very quick to put into action his convictions and a tireless worker. Pleasant and agreeable, he has endeared himself to all associates, and is highly regarded.
[Source:  "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]


Robert Weems Tansill
Robert Weems Tansill and his wife Mary Elizabeth Motter Tansill.  The Tansills were pioneers in the development of the lower Pecos River Valley, assisted in the planning of the town of Eddy (now known as Carlsbad), and were instrumental in initiating, financing, and promoting the corporate irrigation companies that produced the extensive system of dams, reservoirs, and canals that today comprise the Carlsbad Irrigation District.  The house in La Huerta, which is the property in New Mexico most directly associated with Robert and Mary Tansill and the last of their residences in the country to have survived, is nominated under Criterion B as the property that best preserves evidence of their pioneering efforts to transform the lower Pecos River Valley into a southwestern agricultural Mecca and to promote the curative aspects of the regions climate to health seekers nationwide


Francis G. Tracy – One of the most enterprising business men of Eddy is the senior member of the firm of Tracy & McEwan, dealers in farm machinery, seeds, vehicles, etc. He is also a member of the firm of McLenathen & Tracy, who carry on a real-estate and insurance business. He belongs to that class of wide-awake, progressive men who become valued citizens in any community and who are promoters of commercial activity. He was born on the 6th of February, 1863, on Long Island, but was reared in New York city. His father, Rev. U. T. Tracy, was a native of New York city, and for a number of years engaged in the work of the ministry in the Empire State, but is now living in Eddy, New Mexico.

The gentleman whose name heads this review acquired his education in St. Paul's School of Concord, New Hampshire, being graduated at that institution with the class of 1881. He then became a student in Columbia College, of New York, where he pursued a three-years course, completing the work of the junior year. The close study and confinement of the school room impaired his health and he was obliged to abandon his text-books and seek a change to outdoor life. In consequence he went to Long Island, where he engaged in farming. He desired, however, to seek a home in the West, and learned of the beautiful valley of the Pecos.

Mr. Tracy then came to New Mexico and entered the service of the Pecos Valley Irrigation Company, with which he was connected during his residence in Roswell and in Eddy, having charge of the management of the Northern Canal. He remained with that company until 1893, when he formed the existing partnership with Mr. McLenathen, and began the real-estate and insurance business. This he has since continued with good success, and in 1895 he entered into partnership with Mr. McEwan in the line of business above described. They have succeeded in building up a large trade and their success is certainly well merited. Mr. Tracy is an indomitable worker, attending strictly to his business interests and is one of the most liberal and reliable young men of Pecos valley, highly esteemed by all with whom business or social relations have brought him in contact.  [Source:  "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]


David Walker, Sheriff of Eddy county, New Mexico, is a native of Mississippi, born on the 1st of February, 1858. His father, Professor Robert L. Walker, was a native of the Old Dominion. After having arrived at years of maturity the latter wedded Miss Mary Hayes, a native of Mississippi, and they located near Sardis, where the birth of our subject occurred, and there made their home until 1860, when they removed to Denton county, Texas. Two years later the father departed this life, and the mother then returned with her family to the State of her nativity, where she was a second time married, becoming the wife of J. M. Hess, a farmer and stock-raiser.

The family again removed to Texas, taking up their residence near San Antonio, where the subject of this review acquired his education. He gave his services to the work of the home until twenty-two years of age, when he began business in his own interest. At that time the principal industry of southwestern Texas was stock-raising, and therefore Mr. Walker turned his attention to that business, which he followed for some time. In 1879 he was engaged on the trail and for three years made periodical trips to Dodge City, Kansas, with cattle, that being the best shipping point. In 1882 he removed to Pearsall, Texas, where the family had located in the meantime, and hired to his stepfather, who was engaged in the livery business, for about eight months. On the expiration of that period he gave his attention to the cattle business until he had an opportunity to exchange his stock for an interest in a lumber-yard, and he followed the new industry for a year. At this time he also owned an interest in considerable town property, which was traded for a large band of horses.

In 1884 Mr. Walker started with his stock for New Mexico. He stopped for the winter at Brady City, where he lost many of his horses through the intense cold weather, while many more were stolen, reducing the number to about one-half of the original lot. In 1885 the family came to Lincoln county (now Eddy county), settling thirty miles west of the present town of Eddy. They prospered for four years, making money rapidly by dealing in horses. In the meantime they bought more land, which they still own. These ranches, comprising 560 acres, are in Eddy county, about fifteen miles apart. Mr. Walker continued upon the ranch until 1894, when he was elected to his present position as county Sheriff, and removed to Eddy. He had also served as county Assessor for four years, being elected to that position in 1890.

The lady who now bears the name and shares the fortunes of Mr. Walker, was in her maidenhood Miss Emma Avant, a native of Texas. They have two children – Robert and Marion. Mr. Walker is a member of the Masonic and Knights of Pythias orders. He is a true Southern gentleman, warmhearted and hospitable, and is a wide-awake, enterprising business man, whose perseverance and energy have overcome the difficulties in his path, and he has steadily worked his way upward until he is comfortably well fixed, has made for himself an enviable reputation, and won the respect of those with whom business or social relations have brought him in contact.  [Source:  "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]


James Larkin White
Jim White was born  in Mason County, Texas, on July 11, 1882, and unbeknown to him is place in history of the State of New Mexico is sealed.  In 1892 the White family moved to New Mexico when Jim was a young boy.  In his own words in talking about finding the cavern he stated  "I thought it was a volcano," Jim mused, "but, then, I'd never seen a volcano-nor never before had I seen bats swarm, for that matter. During my life on the range I'd seen plenty of prairie whirlwinds-but, this thing didn't move: it remained in one spot, spinning its way upward. I watched it for perhaps a half-hour-until my curiosity got the better of me. Then I began investigating."

A couple of days later, he returned to the cave with some crude tools and a kerosene lantern. He cut sticks of wood from nearby shrubs and built a rope ladder in order to descend into the mouth of the cave. When White ran out of rope as he stood on a ledge, he lit his lantern and could see a tunnel off to his right about 20 feet down. Holding onto the wall, he descended to a level surface into a huge chamber. He now saw another tunnel off to his left.

He explored the tunnel to the left first, finding the bat cave. Returning to the large room, he headed for the tunnel to the right where he saw a wonderland. Enormous stalagmites rose from the floor, clusters of stalactites in a variety of colors hung from above and onyx-lined pools full of pure water sparkled brilliantly on the floor. Jim White would return again and again, often staying as long as three days within the caves.

Eager to share his discovery, White relayed his stories to the cowboys who laughed at him in disbelief. One who did believe White was a 15-year-old Mexican boy who began accompanying White in his explorations. All that White and "the Kid," whose real name the cowboys did not know, took with them were crude handmade lanterns, rope, a canteen of oil, and food and water. They wore overcoats to combat the steady 56-degree temperature and high humidity. In his book, White wrote, "It occurred to me that since I was unable to interest an individual in further development and presentation, perhaps I could get the government to do something." In October 1923, President Calvin Coolidge declared Carlsbad Caverns a national monument, and Jim White became cavern guide. When the federal government took over the caverns, it was agreed White would be named chief explorer. However, no such position existed on park service lists, so it was up to the government to create the position. A position that was denied to White. Though they did allow him to sell his story for 75 cents a booklet in the Caverns. The Whites lived in a bungalow built for them at the caverns while he was chief guide. He resigned from that position in 1929.

White again applied for the job of chief explorer, and with that application he included a petition signed by many, including New Mexico Governor R. C. Dillon and prominent people of El Paso in the El Paso Times on September 28, 1929,  the editor encouraged the director of national parks to "liberate Mr. White from the routine of guiding and permit him to devote his time and strength to the job for which, ...he is best fitted -- exploring the still unknown depths and recesses of that mighty underworld." It fell on deaf ears as White did not get the job.

In 1930, Carlsbad Caverns became a national park. up in 1937,  Jim White died on  April 26, 1946. Now the Caverns that no one wanted to believe him about is a historical monument and White still has not received the recognition he deserves today. Yet the bats continue to swarm in and out of the Caverns that many of visitors now have the chance to see because of one man, who when a young lad took the chance and explored the unknown, James Larkin White.



 


Return to Main Page