Chronological History of Newark
Source: History of the City of Newark New Jersey, Embracing Two and Half Centuries 1666-1913;
Vol. II, Lewis Historical Publishing Co.; New York-Chicago; 1913
Complied in the Office of the Newark City Clerk and Revised and expanded by Frank J. Urquhart.
Transcribed here by: C. Horton - 2007
1666—Newark was settled May 17-20.
1667—It was agreed by all planters and inhabitants that they should be ruled and governed by such magistrates as they should annually choose among themselves.
1668—The first church, called "meeting house" by the settlers, was built. It was 26 feet wide, 36 feet long and fronted on Broad street, a little
north of Branford place. In 1708, or thereabouts, a second church was erected, which stood a little further south. The present building, which
stands on the other side of Broad street, was begun in 1787, and opened for public worship on the first of January, 1791. On its completion, the old,
second, church was converted into a court house, for which purpose it was used until 1807.
1668—First General Assembly was held in Elizabethtown, delegates from Newark being Robert Treat and Samuel Swaine.
1668, May 20th—Commissioners of the town of Newark and Elizabeth town met at "Divident Hill" to fix the boundaries between the settlements.
1668—The first grist mill was built and stood on the north side of First River, or Mill Brook, near the junction of Clay and High streets.
1669 to 1672—Two courts were held annually, verdict being by jury of six men.
1670—Newark's first hotel. Located in the home of Thomas Johnson, on the northeast corner of Broad and Walnut streets, on the site of the
present Grace Episcopal Church. It was called an "ordinary."
1672 to 1675—Four courts were annually held. In that year the whole province was placed under county and other courts, and the rules of the selectmen terminated.
1673—Newark's population included 86 men.
1673, Sept. 6—It was ordered, "in consideration of the present dangers" —unrest of the Indians—that every man in town, under 60 and over 16, should meet together with their arms.
1673—New York surrendered to the Dutch, and the subjugation of New Jersey followed.
A transfer of allegiance to the Republic of Holland was demanded of the people of Newark, and it appears that 73 took the oath, 11 being absent.
1674—By Treaty of Westminster, New Jersey was restored to England, and Philip Carteret returned as governor.
1675—Trouble feared with the Indians. It proved groundless.
1675—The church was fitted up for a defense, and the men of the town working in turn; two flankers were placed at the corners and a wall between the lathe and outside filled with stones.
1676—The first school was established. John Catlin was appointed schoolmaster.
1679—A watch was ordered to be kept in the night and one-fourth part of the town should take turns carrying arms to church. This was during the
time when Sir Edmund Andres, governor of New York, asserted authority over New Jersey on behalf of the Duke of York. The people of Newark, in common with the other settlements,
resented Andros's interference.
1679, March 29—The town having met together, gave their positive answer to the governor of New York, that they had taken the oath of allegiance to the King, and fidelity to the present government,
and until they had sufficient order from his Majesty, would stand by the same.
1682—Newark had a population of about 500, having 10,000 acres of town lands and 40,000 acres of outlying plantations.
1683—The first poor person necessary to provide for.
1695—The first saw mill was commenced.
1696, Dec. 10th—By virtue of a patent granted by the Lords Proprietors of East New Jersey, the public lands and streets had been vested in John Curtiss,
John Treat, Theophilus Pierson and Robert Young. In 1804, by act of Legislature, this trust estate was declared to be invested in the
inhabitants of the township. The property consisted of the old Burying Ground, Washington Park, Military Park, the watering place and the public streets as then laid out.
1698—First tan yard established by Azariah Crane.
1708—Second church building erected about this time.
1714—First school house provided this year or a little earlier.
1719—The assessment of a town rate for the support of the poor commenced.
1721—Free stone was quarried for market.
1736—Cider making well established.
1743-44—The first Trinity Episcopal Church erected.
1745-46—Two great riots—jail broken open by mobs, and persons held by land suits in favor of the English Proprietors, set at liberty.
1747—College of New Jersey, afterward Princeton College, started at Elizabethtown, removed to Newark in 1748—College remained in Newark about eight years, with Rev. Aaron Burr as president.
1756, Feb. 6—Aaron Burr, afterward vice-president of the United States,
was born in Newark, just before his father moved to Princeton.
1761—First Lodge of Free Masons in New Jersey, St. John's, established.
1765—An Act of Assembly was passed authorizing the construction of a road and ferries over the Passaic and Hackensack to connect with the road
previously existing from Bergen Point to Paulis Hook. This was the only direct road to New York, by land, for many years. The present plank road
follows, very nearly, the route then constructed.
1774—The Newark Academy founded.
1776, November—Washington was stationed in Newark with an army of 3,000 men, for five days.
1780—The population of Newark was about 1,000. 141 dwelling houses, 38 in limits of what was afterward known as North Ward, 50 in the South Ward, 28 in East Ward, and 25 in West Ward.
1780—Battle of Springfield. At that time, part of Springfield belonged to the city of Newark.
1780—The Academy referred to above, which stood in Washington Park, was burned by the English troops.
1790—Newark's first industry established about this time—shoemaking.
1791—Present First Presbyterian church completed.
1792—In this year, or a little later, first free schools in Newark and probably in the United States, opened by Moses N. Combs, the father of Newark's industrial prosperity.
1792—The second Newark Academy established.
1794—First bridges over Passaic and Hackensack rivers completed.
1796—Centinel of Freedom established. It denounced slavery. New Jersey being a slave state. Discontinued in 1895.
1800—The first company to supply Newark with water was chartered. The principal supply of water came from springs and wells located in what
is now the Eighth, Eleventh and Fifteenth Wards. There were in all 73 wells and springs. Water was collected in a small reservoir about 150 feet south from the line of what is now Seventh avenue.
1801—First Baptist Church established.
1801—Jewelry was manufactured by "Epaphras Hinsdale."
1803—Female Charitable Aid Society organized.
1804—Newark Banking and Insurance Company established first bank in Newark.
1804, Feb.—By Act of the Legislature, all children of slave parents, born after the 4th of July, of that year, were declared free, but those who
were born previous to that date, were still in bondage, and accordingly, there were 16 male and 15 female slaves for life. The town plot contained 844
houses, 207 mechanics' shops, 5 public buildings, 3 lumber yards, 4 quarries. There were 8 churches, 9 clergymen, 10 physicians, 81 farmers, 14 lawyers,
16 school teachers, 34 merchants and 5 druggists.
1806—Newark was noted for its cider, its quarries, manufacturing of carriages, coaches, lace and shoes. One-third of the inhabitants, it is said,
were constantly employed in the manufacturing of shoes alone.
1806—First Methodist Episcopal Church established.
1807—Famous court house election. Unprecedented fraud at the polls. Women voted. Newark won, as against Elizabethtown, the contest being
for the location of a proposed new court house. The next Legislature refused to sanction the election results. The court house was subsequently built,
on the north corner of Broad and Walnut streets.
1807—At a mass meeting to protest against British outrages on American
commerce, a committee was appointed to draw up suitable resolution
of protest. A copy of this document was sent to President Thomas Jefferson.
1807—Rev. Dr. Alexander McWhorter, Newark's sturdy old Revolutionary pastor, dies; July 20.
1808—Second Presbyterian Church established.
1810—Hatting trade established by William Rankin.
1810—Population was 8,008.
1811—County Court House built on present site of Grace Episcopal Church.
1811—Newark Fire Insurance Company incorporated.
1812—Essex Brigade of militia ordered to detail, arm and equip 441 men and officers, as Essex's quota of the 5,000 called for from the State; March 17.
1812—During the War, a draft of every seventh man was made of the people of Newark. A volunteer company of riflemen was also formed, of
which Theodore Frelinghuysen took command, and when New York was supposed to be in danger, nearly one thousand men from Newark gave active
aid in throwing up entrenchments on Brooklyn Heights.
1815—Under the provisions of an Act to authorize the inhabitants of the Township of Newark to build, or purchase a poor house, the farm of
Aaron Johnson was purchased, and in 1818 five acres of land adjoining were added to this farm. This property was known as the "Poor House Farm."
1819 to 1833—Joint meetings were held in the session house of the First Presbyterian Church.
1819—Seth Boy den makes first patent leather ever manufactured in this country.
1820—Population was 6,507.
1821—The total amount realized from taxes for the year, including dog tax, was $3,184.
1823—By Act of the Legislature the following property was vested In the township: Orange Park, Lombardy Park, portions of Lincoln Park and
parts of Washington, Market and Mulberry streets.
1824—First Roman Catholic Church (St. John's, in Mulberry street,) established.
1826—There were still living in Newark 161 inhabitants who were alive during the War of the Independence, 56 of whom were engaged in that war.
1826—Population of Newark was 8,017; of these 7,237 were within and 780 outside of the township; there were 491 colored people.
1826, July 4—The people of Newark held a jubilee to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.
1826, July 4—Seth Boyden discovered process of making malleable iron.
1830—A much travelled man says of Newark, that after visiting many of the cities and towns of the United States, he does not believe there is any
community in the Union where so many inhabitants are to be found in the same number of houses. "The people are remarkably industrious," he declares, "
we find them hammering away at their trades from 5 o'clock in the morning until 10 or 12 at night."
1831—Morris Canal opened from the Delaware to the Passaic. Extended to Jersey City in 1836.
1832—Whaling Company incorporated.
1832—Newark Daily Advertiser, now Evening Star, established.
1833—First bath house in Newark of which there is any record; in the New Jersey Museum, Market street.
1833—There were 1,542 dwelling houses in Newark, as against 141 in 1777.
1833—A visitor from Schenectady, N. Y., who had been in Newark ten years before, writes that he "found things wonderfully altered; entire new
streets laid out, crowded with tenements; elegant ranges of buildings put up several stories in height, and its strong arm of industry visible on whichever
side the visitor turns his eyes."
1833—President Andrew Jackson visits Newark, accompanied by Vice-
President Van Buren, afterwards President, on June 14th.
1834—New Jersey Railroad opened.
1834—Newark was made a port of entry.
1834—First Dutch Reformed Church established.
1835—Estimated Population: Free white Americans 10,542 Irish population (about) 6,000 English and Scotch 1,000 German (about) 300 Free people of color 359 Total 18,201
1835—Morris and Essex Railroad opened.
1835—Exports to southern ports of the U. S., South America and West Indies over $8,000,000.
1835—There were 12 hotels in Newark.
1835—There were 18 churches in Newark.
1835—whaling vessel from Newark returned after voyage of 27 months with a cargo of 3,000 bbls. of whale oil and 15,000 pounds of whalebone.
1835—Newark Medical Association organized.
1836—Newark incorporated as a city.
1836—Population was 19,732.
1836—Streets of Newark were lighted with oil lamps.
1836—Number of slaves in Newark, 20.
1836—A school system for poor children established.
1836—City was divided into four wards, known as the North, South, East and West Wards, four aldermen representing a ward.
1836, Aug. 24th—Corner stone of the Court House and City Hall laid.
Fire Engine No. 1—First Presbyterian Church.
Fire Engine No. 2—Trinity Church.
Fire Engine No. 3—Hill street.
Fire Engine No. 4—Lombardy Park.
Fire Engine No. 5—106 Market street (old numbering).
Fire Engine No. 6—Railroad Depot, Market street.
Fire Engine No. 7—Hedenberg's Factory, in Plane street. Hook & Ladder No. 1—108 (old numbering) Market street (Museum).
Hose Company No. 1—106 (old numbering) Market street (Museum).
1837—First German Presbyterian Church established, 42 Bank street.
1837—Common Council met in Council Chamber, Museum Building.
1838—First High School established in Newark.
1838—Court House and City Hall dedicated.
1840—Still three slaves in Newark.
1841, Oct. 4—Howard Lodge No. 7, oldest lodge of I. O. O. F. in Essex County, instituted in Newark.
1843—First public school house erected.
1844—Mt. Pleasant Cemetery incorporated.
1845—N. J. Historical Society incorporated.
1845—Registered and enrolled tonnage, shipping 9,458 tons Steamboats and boats under 20 tons 7,139 tons Total 16,597 tons
1845—Alms House erected and about 20 acres of the farm on the west side of the Elizabeth road were sold. New plant provided in Ivy Hill section in 1913.
1845—Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Company organized.
1845—Mayor and Common Council entered into a contract with the Aqueduct Company for furnishing a full and sufficient supply of water for extinguishing fires,
for washing, working, cleaning and trying the fire engines, hose and other apparatus used—to be used for the extinguishment of fires only. This was the first water contract the city entered into.
1846—American Insurance Co. incorporated.
1846, Dec. 25th—Newark Gas Light Co. commenced the manufacture of gas, and the city streets were lighted with it.
1847—Newark Library Association chartered.
1848—Protestant Foster Home established.
1848—Newark Orphan Asylum organized.
1848—A Fifth Ward was created and the aldermen divided into two classes—two to be elected annually in each ward for a period of two years.
1848 to 1853—Common Council used hall located on third story of Library Building.
1848—First Jewish Synagogue, Congregation B'Nai Jeshurun, established.
1848-1849—Influx of German Political fugitives following the collapse of the Revolution of the Grand Duchy of Baden.
1849—The Newark Plank Road and Ferry Company incorporated.
1849—Newark Orphan Asylum incorporated.
1849-1850—Cholera in Newark—148 deaths.
1851—Present school system established under a law authorizing the organization of a Board of Education.
1851—Sixth and Seventh Wards created, the aldermen being divided into two classes and thereafter one had to be elected annually.
1852—Two aldermen representing a ward.
1853-54—Market building over canal erected—Second story of said building was used for Council Chamber, Committee Rooms, fire alarm bell,
and east end of department for police station and city prison.
1853—Eighth Ward was created.
1853—Newark Clinton Plank Road Co. incorporated—plank road constructed, extending from Newark to Irvington.
1853—St. Mary's Orphan Asylum organized.
1854—Newark Catholic Institute incorporated.
1854, June—Young Men's Catholic Association organized by the Right Rev. Bishop McQuaid, then pastor of St. Patrick's Cathedral. Catholic Institute,
76-78 New street, erected, 1856-57. Father McQuaid was the first president, and the first meeting was held on June 21, 1854, in St. Mary's Hall,
then on the present site of the north wing of St. Michael's Hospital. Michael R. Kenny was the first secretary and John C. Durning the first
treasurer. The following were members of the council, the first board of directors: Charles H. Costello, William Dougherty, William Ball, Roger Keough, John Regan, Michael Staars, John Coyle,
Charles O'Reilly, John Hanrahan and Charles Duffy. A little later meetings were held in the Cathedral sacristy and there the nucleus of the institute's library was gathered, Timothy J. Ryan being its first librarian. Mr. Ryan has been superintendent even since the building in New street was opened (1913).
1854—Ninth Ward created.
1855—Fairmount Cemetery incorporated.
1855—First Evening School established.
1855—Woodland Cemetery incorporated.
1855—Firemen's Insurance Company incorporated.
1855—Green Street German American School incorporated.
1856—Tenth and Eleventh Wards created.
1857—Newark granted a new charter.
1857—N. J. Freie Zeitung established.
1857—Exempt Firemen's Association organized.
1858-1859—Notice of fire was given from the tower, by waving a red flag in the day time, and a red light at night.
1859—First horse street railway company incorporated.
1859, Sept. 14—Arion Singing Society organized.
1860, March 20—Newark Aqueduct Board created by an Act of Legislature. This Act authorized the mayor and Common Council to purchase the
property of the Newark Aqueduct Company; property included all their rights, franchises, lands and property, real and personal, for the sum of
$150,000—conveyed of the real estate consisted of 18 tracts, including the Branch Brook, Spring lots and Mill properties along the Mill brook, several
smaller tracts and the reservoir lot at Springfield and South Orange Avenues.
1860-1865—During the Civil War, Newark not only sent thousands of men to the front, but was one of the main workshops of the North, turning out arms, clothing, etc.,
for the use of the soldiers engaged in the war.
1860—Number of buildings supplied with water was 1,636—1,371 were dwellings, and 265 for purposes other than domestic.
I860—Twelfth Ward created.
1861, Feb. 21—Abraham Lincoln in Newark.
1861—Thirteenth Ward created.
1861—Hebrew Aid Society organized.
1861—On May 3rd, First Brigade leaves for Washington.
1861—Steam fire engines introduced into Newark.
1863—St. Mary's Orphan Asylum incorporated.
1864—St. Peter's Orphan Asylum founded.
1864, Sept. 24—City Hall, corner Broad and William streets, opened.
1865—Y. M. C. A. organized.
1865, July 5—Passaic Boat Club organized.
1865 to 1870—Part of the city water supplied was furnished by the Morris Canal Co.
1866—There was held a Bi-Centennial celebration of the settlement of Newark.
1866—G. A. R. Post No. 1, Dep't N. J., organized.
1866, July 4—N. J. Home Disabled Soldiers, Seventh avenue, opened.
1867—St. Barnabas' Hospital incorporated.
1867—St. Michael's Hospital chartered.
1887—Society for the Relief of Respectable Aged Women, at 226 Mt. Pleasant avenue, incorporated.
1868—May 10th, Boys' Lodging House and Children's Aid Society organized.
1868, Jan. 15th—N. J. State Ass'n Base Ball Players organized.
1868—Triton Boat Club organized.
1868, February 24—Newark Board of Trade founded.
1868—German Hospital incorporated.
1869—Water Works at Belleville completed.
1869—St. Vincent's Academy founded.
1869—Mystic Boat Club established in Newark.
1870—City Dispensary moved from basement in City Hall, William street, to Centre Market. 1870—Newark City Home established.
1871—Fourteenth and Fifteenth Wards created.
1871. September—Women's Christian Ass'n organized.
1872—Progress Club organized.
1872—Young Women's Christian Association founded.
1872—Sunday Call established.
1872, April 18—Home for the Friendless organized.
1872—Newark Industrial Exhibition.
1872, Aug.—Essex County Hospital, 63 Camden street, organized.
1873—Newark City Home at Verona started. First directors: Mayor Nehemlah Perry, George Peters, David Rlpley, Joseph Periam, N. J. Demurest, William Johnson and J. C. Ludlow.
1873—Seth Boyden Statue Ass'n organized.
1873—Prudential Insurance Company organized.
1873—Eureka Boat Club organized.
1874—Newark Homeopathic Medical Union organized.
1874—House of the Good Shepherd established.
1875—Nereid Boat Club of Belleville organized.
1875—Passaic River Amateur Rowing Association formed.
1876—Essex Club founded.
1878, Sept. 3—Institute Boat Club organized.
1879, July—Salvage Corps organized.
1880—Eye and Ear Infirmary incorporated.
1880, April 29—Little Sisters of the Poor incorporated.
1880, Dec. 28—Unveiling monument of Phil Kearny.
1881—First Building Inspector appointed, Isaac W. Townsend, at a salary of $900.
1882—First public arc lamps introduced.
1882—Free drawing school established.
1882—Newark Bureau of Associated Charities organized.
1882—Newark City Hospital, 116 Fairmount avenue, opened.
1882, Mar. 25—St. Benedict's College chartered.
1883—Newark Evening News established.
1884, February 12—Rosevllle Athletic Association founded.
1884—Hospital for Women and Children incorporated.
1885—Newark Technical School established.
1885—County Park System established.
1886—Old burying ground given over for public purposes, and bones of settlers removed to Fairmount Cemetery, in this and years immediately following.
1886—Transparent photographic film invented by Rev. Hannibal Good win, rector of the House of Prayer, Broad and State streets. The discovery
was made by Mr. Goodwin in a little laboratory in the rectory, and came after a long series of experiments, while the inventor was working on a
new process of etching on copper and silver. After years of litigation Mr. Goodwin's patent was finally and conclusively allowed by the courts in
August, 1913. A short time afterward, in the same month, the Essex Camera Club started a movement to erect a tablet to Mr. Goodwin for his
achievement. Mr. Goodwin died December 31, 1900.
1887—Hebrew Orphan Asylum opened at 232 Mulberry street.
1887, March—Newark District Telegraph Co. organized.
1887, November 20—North End Club incorporated.
1888—Free Public Library incorporated.
1889—Dedication of Newark Aqueduct property at Branch Brook for public park.
1889—Gottfried Krueger Home for Aged Men organized.
1890, May 14—Unveiling of monument to Seth Boyden.
1890—Present water plant purchased by the city.
1890, June—Essex Troop founded.
1891—St. James' Hospital incorporated.
1892—Home for Crippled Children incorporated.
1892—First of Prudential buildings erected.
1892—Eighth Avenue Day Nursery organized; incorporated, 1893.
1893, April—Newark Ledger established.
1893—Number of wards reduced to nine.
1894—Newark Rowing Club formed.
1895—Number of wards Increased to fifteen.
1896—Movement for purification of Passaic river started.
1898, May 2nd—First Regiment New Jersey Volunteers for Spanish-American War left Newark for Sea Girt; returned home September 26th.
1899—St. Peter's Orphan Asylum incorporated.
1909—St. James' Hospital incorporated.
1900—Legal Aid Association of New Jersey organized; incorporated 1907.
1901—New City Hospital completed.
1901—Emergency Hospital organized.
1901—Newark Beth Israel Hospital incorporated.
1901—Park House, which had been open since the early 1820's, closed its doors.
1903—First train run over the Lackawanna track elevation in Newark, the work then being completed for some distance west of Broad street.
1903, February 19—Clifton avenue grade crossing accident, in which nine pupils of Barringer High School lost their lives. Mayor Henry M. Doremus had denounced the Clifton avenue crossing as a death trap six weeks before.
1903—First Band Concerts. Committee of Common Council authorized to spend $5,000 annually. In 1913 it was authorized to spend $10,000 annually. The first Band Concert Committee was: John B. Wood, chairman; Frank J. Bock, Abraham Kaiser, Watson Ryno and Patrick J. Ryan. Martin J. King has been supervisor since the beginning.
1903, October 15—Young Men's Christian Association building in Halsey street dedicated. Cost of building, land, furnishings, $228,870.22. Y. M. C. A. founded 1854. First president, Frederick T. Frelinghuysen. Association became extinct, and was reorganized 1864. Again collapses. Incorporated
March 5, 1881, and has continued uninterruptedly since. First officers: President, Franklin Murphy; vice-president, William S. Hartshorne; treasurer, James S. Higble; secretary, Theodore F. Bailey; general secretary, J. R. Milligan. First quarters. Library Hall. Occupied Clinton Street M. E. Church property, autumn of 1881. Continued there until opening of present building. Henry A. Cozzens present (1913) general secretary; appointed 1884.
1903, July—Catholic Children's Aid Association of New Jersey organized.
1903—Homeopathic Hospital of Essex County incorporated.
1904—Shade Tree Commission established.
1905, March 22—Newark Provident Loan Association organized.
1905, June—East Side Day Nursery organized.
1906—Establishment Municipal Bureau of Statistical Information.
1906, June 28—City Camp organized, at Neptune City, N. J.
1906, Oct. 22—Morning Star established.
1906, Nov.—First automobile fire engine introduced in Newark.
1906, Dec. 20—Opening of the New City Hall.
1906—Home for Incurables incorporated.
1907—New Court House completed.
1907—First City Playgrounds.
1907—Small Board of Education established.
1907—Smoke Abatement Department established.
1908—Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Company's new building completed.
1908—Municipal Lighting Plant established in New City Hall.
1908—Number of wards increased to sixteen.
1908—Civil Service adopted—method of adoption declared unconstitutional.
1908—City Tuberculosis Sanatorium organized at Verona.
1908—Newark Day Camp for Tuberculosis Cases opened.
1909, February 1—Newark Anti-Tuberculosis Association formed.
1909—Newark Museum Ass'n incorporated.
1909—Newark Presbyterian Hospital incorporated.
1909—Municipal Employment Bureau established.
1909—First automobile ambulance introduced.
1910—Civil Service adopted by the City of Newark—by a vote of the people.
1910—Tablet to John Catlin, Newark's first schoolmaster, unveiled, at corner of Commerce and Broad streets, on site of first school.
1910—First municipal dental clinics established.
1910, Nov. 26—High street factory fire, causing loss of 27 lives.
1910—Firemen's Insurance Company's new building completed.
1911—Camp Frelinghuysen tablet unveiled in Branch Brook Park by pupils of Barringer High School.
1911, May 30th—Unveiling by ex-President Roosevelt, under auspices of Lincoln Post, No. 11, G. A. R., of Lincoln statue in Court House plaza;
bequeathed to the City of Newark by the late Amos H. Van Horn.
1911—First City Plan Commission appointed.
1911—Public Welfare Committee organized.
1911, Nov. 26—Opening of Manhattan and Hudson Terminal electric high speed line, at Saybrook place and Centre street.
1912, Oct. 30—Opening of Sixth Precinct Police Station.
1912—Civil Service adopted by the School District of Newark, by a vote of the people.
1913, Nov. 2—Unveiling of statue of Washington, in Washington Park. Bequeathed to the city of Newark by the late Amos H. Van Horn. President
Taft prevented from being present because of the death of Vice-President Sherman.
1913—Kinney building opened. Tablet in memory of Robert Treat, the leader of Newark's founders, who took that plot for his home lot, set up on the building.
Given by the school children of Newark and the Newark Schoolmen's Club.
1913, Tuesday, September 2—Building of the Young Women's Christian Association opened, in Washington street. The sum of $300,000 subscribed
by popular subscription, payable in five installments, running over sixteen months, in a fourteen-day campaign. Consecration and dedication of the building first week in November.
©2007 K. Torp