Gloucester dates back to May 26, 1686, when courts were established separate from those of Burlington.
It was officially formed and its boundaries defined as part of West Jersey on May 17, 1694. Portions of Gloucester
County were set off on February 7, 1837 to create Atlantic County, and on March 13, 1844 to create Camden County.
Woodbury, founded in 1683 by Henry Wood, is the oldest town in the county. National Park, another town in the county,
was the site of the Revolutionary War Battle of Red Bank where Fort Mercer once stood. Here can be seen the remains
of the British ship Augusta which sank during the battle. During the colonial era, Gloucester County's main economic
activity was agriculture. In Woodbury was located the county courthouse, the county jail, a Quaker meeting house,
and an inn. Because of the county's many creeks leading to the Delaware River and the Atlantic Ocean, smuggling
was very common. Today, Gloucester County has a large and diverse population.
East Greenwich Township
South Harrison Township
West Deptford Township
Formed in 1686
Philadelphia County, Penn - north
Camden County, New Jersey - northeast
Atlantic County, New Jersey - southeast
Cumberland County, New Jersey - south
Salem County, New Jersey - southwest
New Castle County, Del - west
Delaware County, Penn - northwest
Our New Jersey State Site