The History of Greenwich Township, Gloucester County, NJ
Source: History of the Counties of Gloucester, Salem, and Cumberland New Jersey, with Biographical Sketches
of their Prominent Citizens
By: Cushing & Sheperd, 1883, Chapter XLII
Transcribed by: Shelia Baker
Geographical and Descriptive. -- This was one of the original townships, and was formed soon after the
erection of the county in 1686. As first set off, the township contained an area of about one-third of the county
as now constituted, but at present it contains only fourteen thousand acres of land.
The surface of the township is what might be termed level, yet some portions of it are gently undulating. The
soil is a light sandy loam, underlaid with marl, and quite fertile when properly cultivated. The products of the
township are disposed of in the Philadelphia market.
The township is bounded on the east by West Deptford; on the southeast and south by East Greenwich; on the southwest
by Logan township; and on the north by the Delaware River.
The township is watered on the northeast by the Mantua, which forms the boundary line between this and West Deptford;
Clonmel, Nehansey, Still Run, and London Branch Creeks, all rise in the southeast part of the township, and flow
northwesterly into the Delaware, which washes the north border of Greenwich. Repaupo Creek also forms the dividing
line between this and Woolwich township. Rattling Run is a small stream crossing the southwest corner of the township.
Isaac Mickle, in his "Reminiscences of Old Gloucester", says, "The township of Greenwich is by
some months the most ancient township in Gloucester County; for we find upon the minutes of the County Court, under
date of the 1st of March, 1694, the following note: 'The inhabitants between Great Mantoes Creek and Barclay River
request yt ye same division be made and laid into a township, henceforth to be called by ye name of ye Township
of Greenwich; and yt ye same be so recorded. To which ye Bench assents, and order ye same to be done.'
"The country about the Raccoon and the Repaupo having been settled by the Swedes, hundreds of whom still
resided there when the English arrived, the township of Greenwich was for some years by far the most populous of
the six into which the county was in 1694 divided. In the seventeenth century most of the magnates of this part
of old Gloucester bore such titles as Erick Cock, Hermanus Helm, John Rambo, and Mons Lock. The Swedish language,
religion, and customs were rigidly conserved for a long time, and even to this day many traces of the Swedish origin
of the people of Greenwich are observable."
Pioneer Diseases and Remedial Agents. -- Of the sassafras, which grew everywhere in great abundance, the
aborigines, he tells us, used to make bowls: the Swedes used its root in brewing, applied its pieces as a cure
for dropsy, used it in decoction as a rinse for vessels in which they kept brandy and cider, and made their bed-posts
of it to keep out the bugs. The bark of the chestnut-oak was used by the Indians, as a Swede told Kalm, for dying
leather red, and the Swedes probably used it for the same purpose. The fruit of the persimmon-tree gave to the
first inhabitants of Greenwich a very curious and palatable liquor, which is now, we believe, not made. They also
distilled brandy from it by a very simple process. Pompions or crocknalks, as the Swedes called, them, squashes
and calabashes, are also mentioned by our traveler as having been procured from the Indians and cultivated by the
Swedes for household purposes.
The pompions and squashes they ate, the latter being served up on the edge of the dish, around the meat. Of the
calabashes, they made in those days not only ladles and bowls, but plates for the table. In holly-leaves, dried
and bruised in a mortar, they found a cure for pleurisy, which terrible disease, in 1728, swept away nearly all
the Swedes in the numerous settlements at Penn's Neck, where it broke out again just before Kalm's visit. The
ague, too, in olden time was a much more dangerous enemy than now. Against this the Swedes employed, with various
success, the Jesuit's bark, the root of the tulip-tree and of the dogwood, the yellow bark of the peach-tree, the
leaves of the potentilla reptans, and several other indigenous preparations which they adopted from the Indians.
As an antifebrile, they sometimes tied wisps of mullein or Indian tobacco around their arms and feet. The root
of the bay-tree they used as a remedy for the toothache, which "hell of a' diseases," as Burns calls
it, the Swedes brought upon themselves in consequence of the belief that nothing was good unless eaten as fast
as it came from the fire.2
Pioneer Manner of Living, Dress, etc. -- The earliest inhabitants of old Greenwich lived in a very humble
and frugal manner. They had neither tea, coffee, chocolate, or sugar, and were too poor to buy any intoxicating
drinks, or vessels to distill them in. The first settlers drank at table as a substitute for tea a decoction of
sassafras; and even in 1748 they mixed the tea they then used "with all sorts of herbs," says Kalm, "so
that it no longer deserves the name of tea."2 For a long time they continued to make their candles and soap
from bayberry-bushes. Their buckwheat cakes, which were a standard dish, were baked in a frying-pan or on a stone.
The men work caps, breeches, and vests of the skins of various animals. The women wore jackets and petticoats
of the same material. Their beds, except the sheets, were composed of the skins of wolves, bears, panthers, and
other beasts with which the forests then abounded. They made their own leather for shoes and other articles, dyeing
it red with chestnut-bark or the moss of a certain tree not now known, or black with a preparation of the common
Poor as were the Swedish pioneers, far worse was the condition of pioneer Finlanders. Instead of shoes these
poor wretches were content with moccasins of skins rudely sewed together, and for dishes for their tables they
scooped out the knobs of the ash-tree, as the Siberians now do.
1 See Professor Kalm's grave dissertation on the loss of teeth which the Raccoonites and other Europeans on the
banks of the Delaware suffered, vol. i. p. 360.
Pioneer Wedding Customs. -- Among the customs mentioned by Kalm as peculiar to the pioneer Swedes of what
is now Greenwich, Logan, Woolwich, and East Greenwich townships there was one which we trust we will be pardoned
for adverting to. When a man died in such circumstances that his widow could not pay his debts, if she had an
offer of a second husband, she was obliged to marry him en chemise. In this plight, on her wedding-day, she went
out from her former house to that of her new spouse, who met her half-way with a new suit of clothes, which he
presented to her, saying he only lent them, "lest," says Kalm, "if he had said he gave them the
creditors of the first husband should come and take them from her." If this be a fair sample of the civilization
of the pioneer Swedes we can readily believe what the professor says, that the Swedes were already half-Indian
when the English arrived.
1 Ibid, p. 370.
Pioneer Stock, Grain, and Fruit. -- In March, 1749, Professor Kalm paid a visit to Nils Gustafson, who
lived near Raccoon. Gustafson had seen nearly a hundred years, had taken much timber to Philadelphia when that
city was in its infancy, yet, with his venerable locks and nearly fivescore of years, he retained a vigorous frame
and a bright memory. Kalm questioned him particularly as to the origin of the domestic animals then in West Jersey,
and was told that the English procured their horses, cows, oxen, sheep, hogs, geese, and ducks from the Swedes,
who had brought them over from Sweden. He also said they owed to the Swedes the first seed of many of the most
valuable fruits and herbs, and of wheat, rye, barley, and oats. Peach-trees were in the pioneer days very numerous,
but where the Swedes got them Gustafson could not tell. In his infancy the Indians had many little maize plantations,
but did not take much care of them, preferring to live upon the fruits of the chase, or upon different roots and
Other Interesting Notes of Pioneer Life. -- Previous to the arrival of the Swedes the Indians had no agricultural
implements save the historic old stone hatchet. With this they peeled the large trees when they had lost their
sap, so they would die, and the small trees they pulled up by the roots. The field thus opened to the rays of
the sun was dug up with sharp branches or pickets, and the maize was then sown. In the winter the Indians kept
their corn in holes under the ground.
After the Swedes came and began to cultivate apple- and peach-trees, the Indians, true to their nature, often
stole the fruit. Sometimes, too, the Indians would steal from the Swedes their hogs as they ran wild in the woods,
and these they taught to follow them familiarly. The only domestic animals the Indians had on the arrival of the
Europeans were a species of little dogs. Being very fond of milk, for which they were dependent upon the Swedes,
the savages made an artificial liquor very like it by pounding the dried kernels of walnuts and hickory-nuts, and
mixing the flour thus made with water. In hue and sweetness this liquid much resembled milk.
According to Gustafson, the Indians in old Greenwich used to worship a certain red-spotted snake as a deity.
Walking once with one of the red men, he says they met one of these snakes, and he took a stick to kill it; but
the Indian begged him not to touch it, as he adored it. This only confirmed the pious Gustafson's resolution,
and he killed the snake at the risk of being himself scalped.
During the youth of Gustafson the Indians at times very much annoyed the Swedish colonists. They killed several
of the men and stole some of the children. On one occasion they scalped a little girl, who survived, and afterwards
was married and had many children. Upon one occasion some strange savages attempted the life of Mr. Gustafson's
mother, but she, being a powerful woman, succeeded in saving her own life.
Previous to the arrival of the English the Swedes had a custom of bathing every Saturday. Christmas-time was
celebrated with various games and by serving up peculiar dishes at table, as was usual in old Sweden. When Gustafson
was a boy there were two blacksmiths at Raccoon, now Swedesboro, who made excellent knives, scythes, and hatchets,
like the Swedish ones. They then made their cart-and wagon-wheels by sawing thick horizontal sections out of liquid-amber
trees, but when the English came they began to use spokes and felloes in their wheels, the first made of white-oak
and the latter of the Spanish oak. Gustafson remembered when the horses ran wild in the woods, and in his boyhood
days one cow gave as much milk as four did in later times, owing to the great abundance of good grass which they
at first had.
All this and much more did Gustafson tell Professor Kalm, but space forbids further details as to the customs
and manners of the pioneers of old Greenwich township.
Civil List. -- For want of records we can give only the official list of this township from 1831 to1883
inclusive. The minute-books prior to 1831 could not be obtained, and probably are not in existence. The town-meeting
in 1831 was held in the old Greenwich Academy, at Clarksboro.
||John C. Gill.
||David B. Gill.
||John H. Bradway.
||James A. Wolf.
||John A. Laudenslager.
|1833, 1835-36, 1841-43.
||J. H. Albertson.
||David B. Gill.
||John B. Miller.
||Andrew H. Weatherby.
||James M. Wolf.
||Samuel b. Warner.
||George T. Ford.
||S. H. Miller.
||J. M. Rowe.
||Samuel Sailor, Charles French.
||William Haines, Samuel Sailor.
||Charles Reeves, William Haines.
||Joseph Lodge, Jr., Charles Reeves.
||Charles Reeves, Charles French.
||Charles French, Joseph Gill.
||Samuel Sailor, J.C. Gill.
||John Gannett, Samuel Sailor.
||Jesse Miller, William Haines.
||David B. Gill, John Daniels.
||James M. Rowe, David B. Gill.
||John H. Bradway, J.M. Rowe.
||S.H. Miller, J.H. Bradway.
||Matthew Gill, S.H. Miller.
||A.J. Penslee, M. Gill.
||Henry Allen, A.J. Penslee.
||J.I. Reeves, Henry Allen.
||J.R. Paul, J.L. Reeves.
||D.S. Adams, J.R. Paul.
||Joseph Warrington, D.S. Adams.
||D.S. Adams, E.G. Miller.
||E.G. Miller, I.N. Hughes.
||I.N. Hughes, John H. Locke.
||J.H. Locke, G.H. Gannett.
||G.H. Gannett. I.T. Miller.
||I.T. Miller, C.K. Wolf.
||C.K. Wolf, I.J. Cowgill.
||I.J. Cowgill, George Craft.
||G. Craft, S.M. Shoemaker.
||S.M. Shoemaker, B. Heritage.
||E.B. Allen, S.M. Shoemaker.
||D. L. Duvall, E.B. Allen.
||John Driver, Joseph C. Gill, Henry Bradshaw, John C. Gill, and Joseph Chatham.
||Joseph Lodge, Jr., J.C. Gill, J. Chatham, Henry Bradshaw, and J.C. Gill.
||Charles French, Jr., J. Chatham, Solomon W. Lewis, Charles F. Clark, and Joseph
||Charles French, J. Chatham, S.W. Lewis, Joseph Lawrence, Jr., and J.C. Gill.
||Charles French, S.W. Lewis, Joseph C. Gill, Joseph Chatham, and Alexander E.
||J.B. Miller, J.C. Gill, William Haines, Charles French, John Gauntt.
||J.C. Gill, W. Haines, John B. Miller, C. French, J. Gauntt.
||J.C. Gill, William Haines, J. Chatham, William Bicket, J.B. Miller.
||J.B. Miller, J. Chatham, Jacob Swope, Joseph Lippiscott, Joseph H. Moore.
||Joseph Moore, J. Chatham, J. Lippiscott, Jacob Swope, Jr., Amos J. Penslee.
||J. Swope, Jr., A. J. Penslee, J.H. Moore, Isaac C. Dilks, Charles Reeves.
||C. Reeves, J.H. Moore, J.C. Dilks, J. Swope, Jr., David B. Gill.
||Joseph M. Stout, William Brown, Elijah Chew, Joseph Lodge, Joseph Haines.
||Joseph K. Haines, J.M. Stout, John Haines, K. Chew, J.B. Miller.
||John Haines, E. Chew, J.B. Miller, J.E. Hines, and J.M. Wolf.
||J.B. Miller, J.M. Wolf, J.F. Thomas, Stephen H. Miller, Charles K. Wolf.
||S.H. Miller, J.F. Thomas, C.K. Wolf, Amos S. Cade, Seoby Murray.
||A.J. Penslee, J.F. Thomas, Thompson Huff, S. Murray, C.K. Wolf.
||J.M. Wolf, S. Murray, P.L. Kerns, J.B. Shoemaker, T. Huff.
||J.M. Wolf, P.L. Kerns, J.B. Shoemaker, T. Huff, David S. Adams.
||J.M. Wolf, J.B. Shoemaker, D.S. Adams, S. Paul Laudenslager, Jacob Titus.
||S.P. Laudenslager, P.D. Hughes, W.A. Miller, J. Titus, D.S. Adams.
||S.P. Laudenslager, P.D. Hughes, J. Titus, G.T. Ford.
||P.D. Hughes, J.M. Wolf, Charles Parker, G.A. Ridgeway, S.E. Dewalt.
||J. M. Wolf, Charles Parker, G.A. Ridgeway, G.H. Gauntt, William Burrough.
||J.M. Wolf, C. Parker, G.A. Ridgeway, G.H. Gauntt, S. E. Dewalt.
||J.M. Wolf, C. Parker, S.E. Dewalt, G.H. Gauntt, S.P. Eastluck.
||C. Parker, S.E. Dewalt, J.D. Hoffman, J.R. Paul, S.P. Eastluck.
||J.R. Paul, A.J. Penslee, J.S. Miller, J.S. Warner, J.M. Royal.
||J.R. Paul, A.J. Penslee, J.S. Warner, J.M. Royal, B. Heritage.
||A.J. Penslee, B. Heritage, J.M. Royal, A.P. Hasnold, J.M. Rowe.
||A.J. Penslee, b. Heritage, A.P. Hasnold, J.M. royal, Francis Tracy.
||J.M. Rowe, A.P. Hannold, F. Tracy, J. Haines, J.D. Hoffman.
||F. Tracy, John Haines, J.D. Hoffman, I.J. Cowgill, John Stetser.
||William Stewart, F. Tracy, J. Sinclair, John Stetser, J.D. Hoffman.
||W. Stewart, J. Sinclair, I.J. Cowgill, John Stetser, J.C. Haines.
||W. Stewart, J.C. Haines, I.J. Cowgill, J. Stetser, J. Thompson.
||W. Stewart, John Rambo, J. C. Haines, J. Stetser, J. Thompson.
||John Stetser, F. Tracy, William Stewart.
||W. Stewart, F. Tracy, I. G. Coxe.
||F. Tracy, I.G. Coxe, J.S. Miller.
||F. Tracy, J.S. Miller, J.H. Locke.
As this township originally extended from Mantus to Oldman's Creek, it was, after about a century, felt by the
inhabitants of the lower part (now Woolwich and Logan townships) to be advisable to set up for themselves. Their
spontaneous election of overseers and nomination perhaps of a constable, ratified at first by the County Court
and afterwards by the Colonial Legislature, gave rise, about 1750, to the township of Woolwich. This latter took
its name from a town on the Thames, famous for its naval school, while Greenwich township derives its name from
the English naval Asylum, from the observatory of which all Christendom reckons the meridian of longitude. The
termination wich is from the Saxon wic, signifying a certain extent of territory over which an officer of the law
had jurisdiction, such as bailwic, constablewic, or wick or wich; or, in case of a manorial territory, where a
person holds lands by questionable titles from some foreign king, prince, or potentate covering one, two, or more
counties, as for instance, Renaselaerwic, or wick, or wych, a name given the territory covering the counties of
Albany, Renaselaer, Columbia, and a part of Schoharie, in the State of New York, claimed to have been owned by
Stephen Van Renaselaer, who for many generations received rents of all the occupants of these lands.
VILLAGES AND HAMLETS
Paulsboro, the principal village in the township, is located on the northeast border of the township, on
the left bank of Mantus creek, and on the line of the Delaware River Railroad, five miles from Woodbury, the county-seat.
It is a thriving little town, that has been many years attaining its present population. Previous to the advent
of the iron horse its growth was quite slow, but since that time its population has more than doubled, and its
business interests are quite abreast of those of her more pretentious neighboring towns.
The land lying between the creek and Delaware Street, upon which a portion of the town is built, was owned, previous
to 1798, by Samuel P. Paul, from whom the town derives its name. From Delaware Street as far south as the village
extends the land was owned by Henry Myers. Thus two men owned the large and beautiful plateau upon which Paulsboro
The pioneer of what is now the town proper was Samuel P. Paul, who built the pioneer house, where Joseph R. Paul
now lives, near the creek. In 1798, Mr. Paul sold two acres of land to Michael Laudenslager, who, in 1804, built
a tavern-house on the site of the present hotel. That was the second house in what is now Paulsboro. At that
time there was no road along what is now Main Street, though one had been surveyed; but for some unknown reason
the road was not laid out, therefore Mr. Laudenslager closed his would-be hotel until 1809, when the present turnpike,
of which Main Street was a part, was built and a tavern opened. This old hostlery has never since ceased to be
a haven of rest for man and beast. Mr. Laudenslager was succeeded in the tavern business by his son George. The
property is now owned and tavern kept by Jonathan Crammer. The third house in this town was built in 1811 by John
Bowers, and it is now owned by John Stetser. The same year Frederick Hannold built a house, now owned by Matthew
Gill. The next was built by John E. Clark in 1811, now owned by Cox & Brother, and the seventh was the brick
store-house on east side of Main Street, built by D. Hendrickson, and now owned by the Hayden heirs. As late
as 1825 there were no houses on the east side of Main Street except Paul's and Hendrickson's. The house in which
William Huff lives was built in 1830, by Joseph Henry.
PIONEER BUSINESS INTERESTS. -- THE PIONEER STORE WAS BUILTY BY Samuel P. Paul, where Joseph R. Paul now
lives, during the war of 1812.
The stone store-house, now occupied as a dwelling by Matthew Gill, was built in 1816 by John e. Clark. The Clark
family lived on the high point of land on Mantus Creek, below Paulsboro.
David Hendrickson built the little old brick store standing on the east side of Main Street in 1825. Peter Rambo
succeeded Hendrickson in the brick store. He was followed by ____ Price, then came _____ Lawrence, who was succeeded
by ____ Rogers, and he by _____ Hayden, who was the last merchant in the old brick store.
In 1827, Joseph baker built where Cox's blacksmith- and wheelwright-shops now stand.
In 1816 or 1817, George Clark commenced the blacksmith business in Paulsboro, his shop standing near the turnpike
The pioneer shoemakers of Paulsboro were John Collis and John Bowers, each locating here as early as 1811 or 1812,
and the pioneer stone-mason was Joseph Henry, who was here as early as 1815.
The pioneer physician was Dr. Charles Clark, who located here in 1825.
The pioneer postmaster was Matthew gill, who kept the office in his store.
As late as 1820 Paulsboro, or what there was of it, was almost on an island, as the creek was on one side and
swampy timber land was around the other sides. Soon after that date clearings and patches of improved land began
to appear, until, in 1883, Paulsboro was surrounded by a very fertile farming district. In 1826 or 1827, when
William Huff was yet in his teens, he assisted in reaping a good piece of rye in a field now covered by a heavy
growth of pine timber, just south of the Methodist cemetery.
In the latter part of 1681, a large stone was planted a few yards south from where the brick school-house now
stands in the village. This is the southeastern terminus of what is known locally as the Penn line, running from
the river to this point. The survey was made with the view of making what is now Paulsboro the great commercial
centre instead of Philadelphia. The latter place was selected nearly a year later, on account of its being upon
The Paul property, upon which Joseph R. Paul resides, has been in possession of the Paul family for nearly or
quite one hundred and fifty years. The Myers property was in the family name for about one hundred and twenty-five
years when, but a few years ago, it passed out of the family.
SOME OF THE OLD MEN OF PAULSBORO -- John Stetser was born near Paulsboro, in Deptford township, April 6,
1808, and has lived in and near the town all his life, and for many years has been one of the officials of the
township, and at present is its assessor. He has been twice married, the last time to Rachel Ann Simmons, of Wilmington,
Del. He has four children, -- Wilson, William, Matilda, and Robert, all living.
Capt. William Huff was born in Camden, N.J., Dec. 7, 1808, and remembers well when there were but twenty houses
in the place. He came to Paulsboro in 1832, and located where he now resides, having lived in the one house for
fifty-one years. He is a seafaring man, and followed sailing until 1872. He was married in 1832 to Miss Harriet
McElwaine, of Paulsboro. He has four children, -- Amanda, Louisa, Harriet, and Lydia, all living.
The Paul family are of English descent. Philip Paul, father of Samuel Paul, left England Sept. 5, 1685, and landed
in "Virginy" on the 5th of November of the same year.
Samuel Paul was born Dec. 25, 1733, and was married Oct. 6, 758, to Miss Rebecca Delavoe, who was born Dec. 23,
1739. Mr. Paul died April 21, 1772.
Samuel Philip Paul was born Sept. 17, 1763; married Miss Nancy Clark, Feb. 10, 1786. Mr. Paul died July 11, 1831,
and Mrs. Paul, Oct. 3, 1845. Their children were Joshua, Anne, Martha, Samuel, Elizabeth, Adrian C., and Ann C.
Adrian C. Paul was born July 24, 1800, and married Maria Ford, who was born March 22, 1796. Mr. Paul died Aug.
31, 1826. Their children were Anna Maria, Joseph R., and Adrian C. Joseph R. lives in Paulsboro, on the homestead
of his grandfather, Samuel P. Paul, and Adrian C. lives in Haddonfield. Joseph R. Paul married Elizabeth Eggman,
of Haddonfield. Their children are Adrian, born Feb. 28, 1856, and Charles E., born Jan. 18, 1859.
George Hannold, the oldest man in Paulsboro, was born in Barnsboro, N.J., in February, 1798. He came to this
town in 1810, and was married Oct. 24, 1822, to Miss Ann Holmes, who died Jan. 1, 1857. Their children were Elizabeth,
married Samuel Huff; William, an undertaker at Swedesboro; Keziah, married Joseph Huff, a farmer in Greenwich township;
Maria, married Samuel Salisbury; Charles H., a wheelwright in Paulsboro; George, died in the army; Mary, died in
Nehemiah Cowgill was born Oct. 19, 1781, and in 1810 married Elizabeth Jones, who was born Jan. 20, 1792. the
oldest of their twelve children now living is Abram Cowgill, of Paulsboro, who was born Jan. 3, 1813. In 1837,
Abram married Miss Keturah, daughter of Stephen Miller. Mr. Cowgill is the father of a large and enterprising
family, one of whom, W. G. Cowgill, born Nov. 9, 1852, is engaged in general merchandise business in Paulsboro.
Thomson Huff was born in Gibbstown in 1828, and died in Paulsboro in 1875, having lived all his life-time in what
is now Greenwich township. He was married in 11849 to Miss Sarah A. Galley, of Philadelphia, who still survives
him. Their children are Maria G.; James C., married a Miss Crammer; Henric M.G., now an Episcopal clergyman at
Pottstown, Pa.; Mary, married to Richard I. Wilson, of Bordentown, N.J.; and John T. Huff, now of Philadelphia.
PAULSBORO IN 1883. -- The Paulsboro of to-day is one of the wide-awake industrious towns upon the line
of the Delaware River Railroad, and contains two churches, Methodist Episcopal and Protestant Episcopal; one hotel,
by Jonathan Crammer; four general stores, viz., W.G. Cowgill's, built in 1869 by George Manlove; Matthew Gill,
frame building opposite the hotel; George Manlove, whose present store house was built in 1881; John A. Wilson,
on Delaware Street, in store built in 1870 by James Thomson. The lumber dealers are E.G. & S.H. Miller, on
the dock below the turnpike bridge. The coal merchants are Joseph R. Paul, who has been in the business several
years, and T.C. Hannold, who commenced in 1883. Charles H. Hannold, a wheelwright and blacksmith, who learned
his trade of R. Warner several years ago,, in his present shop on Main Street. I.G. Cox & Brother carry on
the wheelwright and blacksmith business, also manufacture harrows and heavy wagons. Edward Hannold and Charles
E. Paul are the boat-builders. The physicians are G.C. Laws, S.T. Miller, E.L. and R.H. Reeve, who also keep a
drug-store. There are also the usual number of small shops usually found in a town the size of Paulsboro.
Gibbstown is a small hamlet in the west part of the township, and on the line of Delaware River Railroad.
The land upon which it is located was owned in the early part of this century by E. Gibbs, who was a large land-owner,
and also a blacksmith by trade, and carried on the business at the old homestead, a short distance southwest from
the present railroad station, and from him the locality derived its name. Whether Mr. Gibbs ever had a store at
or near his house is not known; but in 1835 William Beck had become possessed of a farm, and in that year opened
a small country store for the accommodation of his neighbors. This had a tendency to draw other settlers to that
locality, yet the place never attained to anything more than a school-house, three or four dwellings, and a store
until the advent of the railroad and the building and operating of the powder-works near by, when new life seemed
to be infused into Gibbstown, and it is now a place of considerable business. Here is a new Methodist Episcopal
Church, school-house, powder-works, two good stores, several new dwellings, built in 1881-83, and a railroad station,
from which is shipped large quantities of vegetables in their season.
Billingsport.1 -- The chief point of interest in what can properly be termed the early history of Greenwich
township is the town of Billingsport, which was the Roder Udden of the Swedes, or the "Mantua's Hook opposite
Tinicum," where Broen wished to set up the arms of the States-General, adversely to the Swedish empire. There
is strong suspicion, not-withstanding the respectable authority of Barker, that the "mantises Plain,"
whereon Earl Ployden projected the Manor of Watcessit for his own august residence, was no other than this same
Billingsport. Be this as it may, the place was marked out in the time of Edward Billings as the site of a future
town, and received the name of the Proprietor.
The striking advantage of this point as a military post was not overlooked by either Americans or British during
the Revolutionary war. June 12, 1777, John Hancock, then president of the Continental Congress, sitting in Philadelphia,
wrote to Governor Livingston, of New Jersey, to order five hundred militia to assist in completing the works then
erecting at Billingsport for the defense of the river Delaware. Late in the fall of that year the British got
possession of Philadelphia, and it became a matter of great importance to them that the English fleet, commanded
by Capt. Hammond, should communicate with the city. Gen. Howe sent two regiments, under Col. Sterling, to attack
the fort. Crossing the river from Chester, they marched with speed to attack the fort in the rear, and were successful.
The Americans were surprised, and not thinking themselves able to resist the assault of the enemy, they spiked
their artillery, set fire to the barracks, and abandoned the place.
In the ware of 1812 the importance of this point as a military position was not lost sight of, and it again bristled
with bayonets, an encampment of the South Jersey troops having been made there, under the direction of Gens. Gaines
and Elmer. From this point an expedition was fitted out against a British tender which had frequently been seen
in the bay and river, as related elsewhere.
After peace had been declared, and all the implements of war had been turned into articles of husbandry, Billingsport
became almost entirely deserted and forgotten, save to a few who happened to see its name in history.
Thus it lay for nearly three-quarters of a century, when the fact was discovered by the government, as well as
by a few enterprising individuals, that Billingsport and vicinity was an excellent point for a government light-house,
and for large manufacturing interests. Accordingly, in 1880, the United States built a light house upon an elevated
point a short distance from the old fort and camping-grounds, with Benjamin Hannold as keeper. This had a tendency
to bring the long-neglected and almost forgotten locality into public notice, and the same year Messrs. Coe &
Richmond built their very extensive phosphate-works a short distance east of the light-house, at the mouth of Mantua
Creek, on a farm of one hundred and thirty acres, purchased from Samuel Davis.
This is one of the most extensive phosphate-works in the United States, employing annually a force of from fifty
to eighty men. The sales from these works amounted to over thirty-five thousand tons in 1882.
The pioneer merchant at this place was Peter F. Verga, who built the store on the corner of the street between
the light-house and phosphate-works in September, 1881, and is the present proprietor.
The next store at Billingsport was built in the fall of 1881, by William Flower, near the old camp-ground, where
he is still engaged in business.
The hotel at Billingsport was kept in 1883 by John Kerns.
During the summer season this town is well supplied with facilities for reaching Philadelphia by steamer, and
in winter as well as summer by railroad, though the station is one mile away, at Paulsboro.
During the Revolutionary war the American forces placed a chevaux-de-frise in the river to prevent vessels from
landing. This chevaux-de-frise was made of poles from thirty to forty feet in length, and upon the point or upper
end of each stick was fastened a long, sharp piece of iron, for the purpose of piercing the bottom of any vessel
that might come in contact with the obstruction. One of these poles was taken from its original position but a
few years ago by Peter F. Verga, who owns a farm on the bank of the river opposite to which was the chevaux-de-frise.
Mr. Verga has the old relic now in his possession.
1 From "Remembrances of Old Gloucester," by Isaac Mickle.
SOCIETIES AND CORPORATIONS.
Greenwich Lodge, No. 5, I.O.O.F.1 -- this lodge was instituted at Carpenter's Landing (now Mantua village), March
26, 1834, with the following officers: N.G., W.B. Gendell; V.G., John C. Sparks; Sec., Thomas P. Parks; Asst. Sec.,
David D. Cade; Treas. Bowman Sailer. The lodge continued working at Carpenter's Landing until Aug. 26, 1839, when
work was suspended till Dec. 15, 1847, when, by authority
1 By W. G. Cowgill.
of the District Deputy Grand master, the lodge resumed labor at Clarksboro, where the mysteries of the mystic links
were explained till November, 1859, when lodge-work was transferred to the hall of John G. Myers, in the third
story of the hotel at Paulsboro, where work has been performed until the present time.
At the time the lodge commenced work at Paulsboro Isaac Warner was the N.G.; Daniel Morse, V.G.; J.. Wood, Sec.;
David B. Gill, Asst. Sec.; and J.R. Hinchman, Treas.
The following are the Past Grands, as far as can be ascertained: Daniel Morse, Isaac Warner, Augustus Sailer,
J.T. Batten, Thomas Huff, G.W. Hannold, J.F. Thomson, C.W. Wilkins, C.H. Hannold, W. Hannold, A.P. Hannold, J.
Warner, Jr., T. Hannold, C. Platt, John Brown, J.S. Nolen, Oram Adamson, J. Vaneman, John W. Ward, 1875; B.W. Low,
J. S. Shuster, T.F. Williams, J.L. read, Charles Cowgill, C.R. Tomlin, S.E. Gaunt, C.P. Snyder, H.S. Adamson, J.H.
Hewitt, Daniel Laughlin, Charles Converse, J.W. Davenport, Jesse Miller, W.J. Adamson.
In 1876 the lodge built a three-story frame building, thirty by sixty feet, the first and second floors of which
it rents for stores and dwellings, and the upper floor is occupied as a lodge-room.
The elective officers in October, 1883, were Thomas Young, N.G.; George P. Devault, V.G.; J. H. Hewitt, Rec. Sec.;
C.R. Tomlin, Treas.
Welcome Lodge, No. 37, K. of P.,2 was instituted in Paulsboro, N.J., June 11, 1872, with forty-two members. The
officers were as follows: H.T. Adams, W.C.; T.C. Hannold, V.C.; J. Ridgeway, P.; D. Moose, B.; J.R. Middleton,
R.S.; J.C. Huff, F.S.; J.M. Derrickson, B.G.; Oram Adamson, L.G.; Edward Wilkinson, O.G.
The Past Chancellors have been T.C. Hannold, J.M. Derrickson, Oram Adamson, W.J. Lloyd, Edward Wilkinson, W.S.
Thomson, Mark Clement, W. G. Cowgill, C.C. Hannold, Joseph M. Hunter, Joseph S. Shuster, W.B. Harman, E.K. Williams,
B.S. Hewitt, C.H. Hannold, W.E. Wallace, B.G. Paul, C.F. Miller, Thomas Wright, W. Aikley, W. English.
The officers in October, 1883, were as follows: Samuel Genly, C.C.; H.C. Nonemaker, V.C.; Clayton Carson, P.;
W.B. Hartman, M. of F.; Charles E. Paul, K. of R. and S.; A. Paul, M. of E.; George F. Green, M. at A.; C.P. Myers,
I.G.; John Hewitt, O.G.
The membership at that time was eighty. The regular meetings are held on Wednesday evening of each week. Cash
in banker's hands, $1500. Trustees for 1883, W. G. Cowgill, B.G. Paul, and C.I. Sey.
Paulsboro Building and Loan Association2 -- This association was organized in 1872, and has continued
uninterruptedly until the present time. The first officers were as follows: President, William E. Gaunt; Vice-President,
A. Cowgill; Secretary, Stephen H. Miller; Treasurer, I.J. Cowgill.
2 By W.G. Cowgill.
The financial condition of the association is shown in the following report, made Oct. 1, 1883:
|Cash received for monthly installments
|Interest on loans
|Fines on arrearages
|Premiums on new shares
|Sale of houses and lots
|Cash on hand last report
|Loans to stockholders
|Paid matured stock and interest
|Payments on withdrawals
|Secretarys and treasurers salary
|Cash on hand
|Bonds and mortgages, 1874
|Cash on hand
|Less an amount due first series
|Value of Shares
|45 shares, 2d series, $183.79 per share
|14 shares, 3d series, $159.16 per share
|04 shares, 4th series, $135.87 per share
|05 shares, 5th series, $113.09 per share
|20 shares, 6th series, $71.39 per share
|159 shares, 7th series, $25.17 per share
|111 shares, 8th series, $14.81 per share
|82 shares, 9th series, $6.03 per share
|Balance gain undivided
|Pledged and Unpledged Shares
|| 3 ½
|| 1 ½
The directors for 1883 were S.H. Howitz, George C. Laws, H.C. Loudenslager, Hiram Cowgill, James Hewitt, Edward
Bates, Jr., J.M. Casperson; Auditors, S.H. Howitz, J.M. Casperson, H.S. Adamson; President, W.G. Cowgill; Vice-President,
Abraham Cowgill; Secretary, W.J. Adamson; Treasurer, E.G. Miller.
Delaware Tribe, No. 44, I.O. of R.M.,1 was instituted Dec. 8, 1873, in Paulsboro, N.J., with the following-named
officers: P., H.C. Loudenslager; S., T.C. Hannold; S.S., J. Ridgeway; J.S., E. Williamson; K. of R., Wilson Gill;
K. of W., David Devault; Asst. K. of R., James Dooley; G. of F., Charles Salisbury; G. of W., J. Hunter.
The Past Sachems have been J. Ridgeway, E. Williamson, C. Gill, S. Davis, D.L. Devault, J.H. Moore, Joseph Hunter,
C.M. Davis, C.S. Hewitt, G.C. Thompson, W. Mills, G.H. Parker, W. Hunter, C. Brown, and Joseph Myers.
The present officers, October, 1883, are as follows: P., C. Brown; S., Joseph Myers; S.S., S. Hewitt; J.S., G.W.
Armstrong; K. of R., J. Gallaher; K. of W., S.H. Howitz; G. of W., R. Madkiff.
The tribe numbers eighty-one members, and have eleven hundred dollars in the wampum belt.
St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church. 2 -- The first Methodist sermon preached in Paulsboro was in
1820, by Rev. Thomas Ware, in the old school-house, then standing on what is now Buck Street.
Meetings continued to be held in the old school-house, as a week-day or evening appointment, until 1825, when
Solomon Sharp established Sunday preaching, which has been continued till the present time.
When the pioneer class was formed it was composed of twelve persons, and as no leader had yet been appointed,
the services of class-leader were performed by the preacher in charge.
A short time after this, Malica Horner, a prominent citizen and Methodist, moved into the neighborhood, and was
assigned that position, being the first class leader in what is now the Paulsboro Church. The growth of the society
was slow for several years, there being no general revival so long as they worshiped in the school-house. There
were a few accessions now and then, but not enough to add to their material strength. In 1827 the society became
incorporated, and steps were taken to build a church. A lot was purchased of Charles H. and Rachel Fish, and a
deed given to the trustees, bearing date May 2, 1827. The names of the trustees are not given in the deed, but
three of them were Joseph Lodge, Jacob Loudenslager, and Charles Reeves. The church was built of stone, and in
size was thirty by forty feet, without galleries, and finished in plain style. The first sermon preached in the
stone church was on a Saturday afternoon in September, 1827, by Rev. Joseph Osborn, then on the supernumerary list,
and a resident of Woodbury.
The church was dedicated the next day by Rev. Charles Pitman, in one of his great efforts of two hours' devotion,
and this effort produced a lasting impression upon the audience.
Until 1833 Paulsboro Church was on the Salem Circuit, but it then became a part of the newly-formed Swedesboro
Among the preachers that labored on the old charge were Thomas Ware, Solomon Sharp, A. Atwood, T. Sovereign, J.
Ashbrook, S. Rusling, and William Stevens. Those who served on the latter were Josiah Canfield, J.K. Shaw, A.I.J.
Truitt, J.W. McDougall, N. Edwards, Thomas Stewart, S.Y. Monroe, Joseph Atwood, J.S. Beegle, James Long, A. K.
Street, S.E. Post, Mulford Day, Edward Stout.
2 Compiled from church records by Rev. J.H. Mickle.
In 1851, Clarksboro and Paulsboro were set off from the circuit, and Zerubbabel Gaskill was appointed preacher.
In 1852, Bridgeport Circuit was formed and Paulsboro placed on it, with J.B. Mathis and B. Andrews as the preachers,
who were followed the next two years by William A. Brooks and John I. Corson.
The church was destroyed in 1853 by fire, which was a severe loss to the society, yet many considered it a providential
blessing, in preparing the way for a more commodious house of worship, and steps were immediately taken in that
direction. After the destruction of the old stone church services were again held in the shcool0house and in the
hotel, then kept as a temperance house, and during the summer-time under a large tent erected for that purpose.
The new (present) church was built in 1853, of brick, and in size it is forty by sixty feet, with a basement containing
a Sunday-school and two class-rooms, and galleries in the main audience0room. The basement was occupied during
the winter, but the building was not completed during the next year. At the Conference of 1855 Paulsboro was made
a station, with S. Vansant as pastor. The church was then pushed to completion, and dedicated June 21, 1855, by
Rev. W. Kenney. The contributions were made so briskly that, after the cost of the church was provided for, a
subscription was opened towards building a parsonage. A substantial and commodious house was erected and occupied
the next winter. The cost of the church was about four thousand one hundred dollars, and of the parsonage two
thousand one hundred dollars. The trustees at that time were Stephen Miller, Philip S. Baker, Robert C. Middleton,
Joseph B. Shoemaker, Abraham Cowgill, and John B. Miller. Philip S. Baker, Robert C. Middleton, and Joseph B.
Shoemaker were the building committee. Since the charge has been a station the following ministers have served
as pastors: In 1855-56, S. Vansant; 185758, A. E. Ballard; 1859-60, David Duffell; 1861-62, J. Fort; 1863-64, Thomas
S. Wilson; 1865, G. Hitchens; 1866, S. Parker; 1867-68, J.G. Crate; 1869-70, F. Robbins; 1871-73, R.S. Harris;
1874-76, W.W. Christine; 1877-79, George R. Snyder; 1880-81, Dickinson Moore; 1881-83, J. H. Mickle.
In 1883 the church numbered two hundred and twenty-five members, and the Sunday-school numbered one hundred and
eighty-five scholars. The following-named persons composed the official board for that year: William A. Mullen,
C.N. Shuster, G. Clark, F. Tracy, G.H. Gaunt, J. Rambo, S. Huff, C.R. Tomlin, S.H. Howitz, A. Middleton, S.H. Miller,
A. Cowgill, W.H. Lloyd, C. Hannold, C. Wiley, and A. Lodge.
St. James' Protestant Episcopal Church. -- This was originally a mission, or branch from St. Peter's Church at
Clarksboro, then under the rectorship of Rev. James Lamb, who saw in Paulsboro an opening for the extension of
his labors, and the result was the organization of St. James' Church, in the house of the late Thomson Huff, in
1871 or 1872. Among the original members were William Rambo (who was made senior warden), Matthew Gill (junior
warden), Oram Adamson, George Adamson, Miss Eliza Gibbs, Louisa Gibbs, Mrs. Gibbs, Mrs. O. Adamson, Lydia Rambo,
Susanna Rambo, Louis Rambo, Mrs. Matthew Gill, Mrs. Jessup, Sarah A. Huff, Maria Huff, Mary Huff, and Mrs. Gallagher.
During the first year after its organization the society worshiped in the little old brick store-house standing
on the south side of Main Street, now owned by the Hayden estate, and during that year built their present frame
church edifice, located on the corner of Commerce and Jefferson Streets, at a cost of four thousand five hundred
dollars, the church lot being presented by Mr. M. Gill. The cornerstone of the church edifice was laid by Rev.
The first vestrymen were William Rambo, Matthew Gill, Dr. George Laws, O. Adamson, George Adamson, George Gallagher,
E. Gibbs, and Thomson Huff. Two of the above have since deceased, viz., O. Adamson and T. Huff.
The rectors of the church have been, since Mr. Lamb, ----- Baumes for two years; then came Dr. Speer. For a time
the church was then supplied by different ones, until Rev. Mr. Lewis took charge of this church, in connection
with his own at Woodbury. The present communicants number about forty-five.
The Sunday-school connected with this church was organized a short time previous to the organization of the church,
with Dr. George Laws as superintendent, who still holds the same relation to the school.
The wardens in 1883 were William Rambo, senior warden; Dr. George Laws, junior warden. Vestrymen, William Rambo,
George Adamson, William Adamson, Henry Tanner, Dr. George Laws, and Alonzo Rambo.
The Clonmel Methodist Episcopal Church, located at Gibbstown, was built in 1879. This society is a branch or
part of Paulsboro charge, and for several years held its meetings in the old stone school-house, but finding that
inadequate for religious purposes, a preliminary meeting was held April 1, 1879, at which it was decided to build
a house of worship. May 13th of the same year Joseph L. Reed, Eli Allen, Elwood K. Williams, Enos W. Bates, and
Joseph L. Shuster were elected trustees, and at once proceeded to the erection of the present frame church edifice,
twenty-eight by forty-six feet, awarding the contract to Charles Von Stege, of Woodbury. The church was dedicated
Nov. 19, 1879. Its total cost was nine hundred dollars. There are at this place two classes of about thirty members,
with John Williams and Samuel E. Gaunt as leaders. There is also a prosperous Sunday-school connected with this
society. Preaching services are held every two weeks by the pastor in charge of the Paulsboro Methodist Episcopal
The Methodist Episcopal Cemetery, located in rear of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the village of Paulsboro,
was first occupied as such in 1831, by the interment of the remains of Samuel P. Paul, who lies buried in the northwest
corner of the inclosure, known as "Paul's Reserve."
The following are among the many interments in these grounds:
Samuel P. Paul, died July 11, 1831, aged 67 years.
Martha W. Paul, born April 1, 1791, died Jan. 10, 1855.
Elizabeth Loudenslager, born Nov. 9, 1790, died March 24, 1873.
Rev. Jacob Loudenslager, died Oct. 24, 1871, aged 79 years.
Elizabeth C. Loudenslager, died July 25, 1874, aged 77 years.
Philip S. Baker, born Feb. 24, 1800, died May 8, 1873.
Anna G. Baker, died Aug. 4, 1867, aged 63 years.
The above are nearly all the interments in "Paul's Reserve."
John B. Miller, born May 12, 1797, died April 6, 1858.
Rev. William H. Stephens, died Dec. 14, 2833, aged 28 years.
John F. Thomas, born Oct. 22, 1822, died Jan. 29, 1867.
Mary N. Thomas, born April 7, 1828, died Feb. 4, 1867.
Ann B. Henderson, born April 3, 1806, died Sept. 4, 1845.
William Cowgill, died June 8, 1846, aged 34 years.
Elizabeth B., wife of W. Cowgill, born Feb. 9, 1819, died April 23, 1859.
Kittera Cowgill, died Nov. 17, 1841, aged 25 years.
Anna H. Gibbs, died April 2, 1875, aged 85 years.
Enos Gibbs, died April 30, 1852, aged 62 years.
Edward H. Gibbs, died June 8, 1833, aged 20 years.
Joseph McIlvaine, died Sept. 24, 1823, aged 26 years.
George Steelman, died Feb. 5, 1874, aged 65 years.
Sarah E. Steelman, died Nov. 20, 1863, aged 45 years.
Stephen Miller, born Jan. 16, 1789, died June 3, 1862.
Rachel Miller, died Nov. 7, 1875, aged 83 years.
Rebecca Dilks, born Aug. 16, 1804, died May 16, 1880.
Frederick Hannold, born March 1, 1817, died Dec. 7, 1882.
Nehemiah Cowgill, born Oct. 19, 1781, died Oct. 6, 1867.
Elizabeth Cowgill, died Feb. 7, 1858, aged 66 years.
Jesse Mullen, died Sept. 16, 1853, aged 52 years.
Mary Mullen, born Feb. 5, 1800, died Feb. 14, 1878.
Joseph Carter, died Jan. 15, 1842, aged 55 years.
Letitia Carter, born July 22, 1787, died Sept. 26, 1874.
Isaac Lodge, born Aug. 5, 1792, died May 12, 1874.
Mary B. Lodge, born March 10, 1788, died Sept. 10, 1856.
Job Key, died May 25, 1846, aged 50 years.
Ann Key, died Aug. 10, 1868, aged 60 years.
Isaac Derrickson, died Oct. 5, 1847, aged 85 years.
Mary Derrickson, died Aug. 21, 1855, aged 48 years.
Samuel L. Devault, died May 22, 1874, aged 63 years.
Thomas Derrickson, died Nov. 28, 1877, aged 89 years.
William Miller, died Dec. 15, 1872, aged 59 years.
Emmor Hall, died March 1, 1861, aged 44 years.
Barzillni H. West, died Jan 28, 1882, aged 68 years.
Mary West, died Feb. 28, 1856, aged 39 years.
Charles Stroop, died Oct. 3, 1864, aged 70 years.
Rachel Stroop, died July 15, 1863, aged 86 years.
Rev. Henry Stroop, died July 19, 1853, aged 25 years.
Elizabeth Stroop, died March 17, 1865, aged 70 years.
Mary Wolford, died March 1, 1845, aged 67 years.
Charles Hall, died Dec. 18, 1878, aged 64 years.
Isaac L. Thomson, born May 23, 1819, died Jan. 7, 1846.
Isaac Thomson, died Oct. 17, 1855, aged 69 years.
Margaret Thomson, died Oct. 27, 1849, aged 62 years.
Isaac Hughes, born April 20, 1804, died Jan. 8, 1878.
Benjamin Lord, born Nov. 23, 1763, died Aug. 21, 1846.
Anna Lord, born July 17, 1787, died Nov. 6, 1854.
Mark Low, died March, 21, 1874, aged 54 years.
Peter L. Kerns, died Dec. 1, 1809, aged 61 years.
Joseph Myers, born May 8, 1788, died April 15, 1861.
Rachel Myers, died May 7, 1869, aged 84 years.
Henry S. Miller, born Oct. 13, 1803, died March 12, 1870.
Elizabeth Miller, died April 24, 1861, aged 80 years.
Rebecca Thompson, died Feb. 23, 1872, aged 62 years.
Rachel s. Nolen, born Feb. 8, 1791, died Feb. 2, 1852.
Mary Ann Paul, born March 12, 1792, died Jan. 15, 1863.
John Huff, died Nov. 3, 1876, aged 67 years.
Sarah Repperd, died July 17, 1851, aged 78 years.
Thomas Parker, died April 12, 1848, aged 61 years.
Elizabeth Parker, died June 22, 1843, aged 48 years.
Maria Dupew, born April 10, 1800, died Jan. 25, 1881.
Margaret Repberd Cabnom, died Dec. 12, 1860, aged 46 years.
Thomson Huff, died March 4, 1875, aged 57 years.
Charles W. Paul, died July 12, 1839, aged 43 years.
Jane Paul, died June 28, 1842, aged 45 years.
Benjamin B. Shuster, died June 29, 1872, aged 82 years.
Sarah Shuster, died Jan. 11, 1869, aged 7 years.
Henry Allen, died Aug. 19, 1879, aged 59 years.
Catharine A. Allen, died Feb. 8, 1869, aged 44 years.
Beulah Ann Davis, died Oct. 14, 1860, aged 53 years.
John Kerns, died Aug. 10, 1875, aged 70 years.
Mary Ann Kerns, died Nov. 11, 1877, aged 62 years.
Ann M. Wilkins, died June 11, 1858, aged 68 years.
Eliza Wilkins, died July 25, 1870, aged 57 years.
Lydia Ann Juggard, born May 27, 1809, died Feb. 8, 1873.
Keziah Wallis, born May 9, 1792, died Feb. 3, 1872.
William C. Kennard, born June 2, 1792, died Jan. 5, 1879.
James Kennard, born Dec. 22, 1800, died Jan. 8, 1879.
Esther A. Wilkins, died Jan. 1, 1876, aged 76 years.
Charles Wilkins, died July 26, 1838, aged 45 years.
Levom Dunster, died Oct. 10, 1872, aged 90 years.
Zebulon Ayars, born May 12, 1794, died July 1, 1862.
Rhoda Ayars, born July 28, 1792, died Feb. 7, 1872.
John Hewlings, Co. H. 12th N.J. Vols, died at Washington, D.C., Dec. 22, 1863, aged 37 years.
Mary A. Hillman, born Nov. 3, 1761, died Dec. 31, 1854.
George W. Hannold, Co. K., 24th N.J. Vols, wounded at Fredericksburg, Va., Dec. 13, and died Dec. 25, 1862.
The grandfather of Mr. Salisbury emigrated from England to the United States, and settled in Woodstown, Salem
Co., N.J. His two children were Joseph and Samuel, the former of whom was born near Woodstown, and at an early
period removed to Woolwich township, Gloucester Co., where his life was spent, and where his death occurred. He
was united in marriage to Miss Hannah, daughter of William Noble, whose ancestors were of Irish extraction. Their
children were Benjamin, Joseph, Samuel, Charles, Noble, John, Sarah (Mrs. Samuel Leap), Hannah (Mrs. John G. Smith),
Caroline (Mrs. Joseph Gamble). Samuel, of this number, was born Dec. 8, 1811, in Woolwich township, and at an
early age was rendered an orphan and homeless by the death of his parents. This fact made him early dependent
upon the kindness of strangers, and developed the self-reliant character which has since contributed largely to
his success. He found a home with Joseph Stretch, where meager advantages of education were enjoyed, and remained
until his thirteenth year, when Robert Cooper tendered him protection. After five years of service in the family
of the latter, he engaged in various profitable pursuits until his twenty-fourth year, when a more independent
career opened in the raising of produce and in general farming. He was married, March, 1838, to Miss Elizabeth,
daughter of James and Sarah Stansbury, to whom were born children, -- Hannah, deceased; Charles; Kate (Mrs. Loudenslager);
and Melissa, deceased. Mrs. Salisbury died in 1862, an d he was married a second time, in 1865, to Miss Susanna
W. Egee, who died in 1876, when he was united in marriage, in 1883, to his present wife, who was Mrs. Maria Nolan.
Mr. Salisbury, in 1856, purchased a farm, and has since been extensively engaged in the raising of produce. In
1880 he retired form the active management of his farming interests and removed to Paulsboro, his present home.
He is in politics a Democrat, and has filled various township offices, though not an aspirant for official place.
Both he and Mrs. Salisbury are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Paulsboro.
Mr. Rambo's ancestors were Swedes, and emigrated at an early date to America. His great-grandfather was John,
who had among his sons a son John, born in 1776. He cultivated a farm in Gloucester County, and married Patience
Crim, whose children were five in number, while by a second marriage, to Lydia Key, were eight children. Peter
C., a son by the first marriage, was born in 1801, in Woolwich township, Gloucester Co., and later removed to Deptford
township, where he followed farming employments. An interval was spent as a resident of Pennsylvania, after which
he returned again to New Jersey, and settled in Trenton. He married Margaret, daughter of Richard Stockton, of
Burlington County, and had children, -- Benjamin, Elizabeth, Emeline, Samuel, John, Mary Jane, Thomas, Edith, and
one who died in infancy. Mr. Rambo still survives, and enjoys robust health, in his eighty-third year. John,
his son, was born in Paulsboro, Greenwich township, on the 22d of August, 1833, and remained during his early youth
an inmate of his father's house, where he enjoyed ordinary advantages of education. At sixteen he began a career
of independence, and continued actively employed until 1859, when he leased his present farm,, and subsequently
purchased the property, which has since that time been greatly improved and rendered unusually productive. The
spot is, among other advantages, remarkable for its facilities of shipment, both by railroad and water. Mr. Rambo
was married Dec. 3, 1856, to Miss Adalisa, daughter of Jesse Mallen, of Greenwich township. Their children are
Emma C. (Mrs. Joseph Locke), Margaret S. (Mrs. Howard G. Cooper), Mary Elizabeth, Henry M., John, and Adalisa,
who died in infancy. Mr. Rambo has ever been an active business man and a public-spirited citizen. He assisted
in organizing and was one of the directors of the Delaware Shore Railroad, now known as the Delaware River Railroad.
He is a member of Greenwich Lodge, No. 10, of Patrons of Husbandry. His politics are Republican, various township
offices having been tendered him, which were filled with fidelity and judgment. Both he and Mrs. Rambo are members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Paulsboro.
Back to New Jersey Genealogy Trails