The History of Franklin Township, Gloucester County, New Jersey
[Source: Source: History of the counties of Gloucester, Salem, and Cumberland, New Jersey : with
biographical sketches of their prominent citizens by Cushing & Sheperd, 1883, CHAPTER XL, Page 213-221]
Transcribed by Shelia Baker for Genealogy Trails
Geographical and Descriptive.
This township was formed in 1820 from Greenwich and Woolwich. At the time of its organization it was fifteen miles
long, six and a half miles wide, and contained seventy-two thousand acres. The township has been reduced by the
formation of others, till at present it contains only thirty-one thousand three hundred and eighty-eight acres.
Its surface is generally level, with a light, sandy soil, susceptible of a high state of cultivation, as evidenced
by the large crops of vegetables and small fruits. But a few years since Franklin was a dense forest of small
pines, but, by industry and frugality, it has become of immense value as a truck-farming township.
It is the southeast corner township of the county, and is bounded on the southeast by Atlantic County, on the southwest
by Cumberland and Salem Counties, on the northeast by Clayton, and on the northwest by Monroe township.
The township is watered by Marsh Lake Branch and tributaries in the easterly part of the township, and by the head-waters
of Scorland Run in the west part of the township.
The following is the act of incorporation:
"Act of Incorporation.
"An Act to incorporate part of the Townships of Woolwich and Greenwich, in the county of Gloucester, into
a separate township, to be called the Township of 'Franklin'.
"1st. Be it enacted by the Council and General Assembly of this State, and it is hereby enacted by the authority
of the same, That all that part of the townships of Woolwich and Greenship, in the county of Gloucester, lying
within the following boundaries, to wit: Beginning at the head of Old Man's Creek, in the line between the counties
of Gloucester and Salem, and also the line of the south side of Woolwich township; thence running a straight line
to Mantus Creek, to intersect said creek below James Jessup's mill, opposite the dwelling-house of Andrew Dilks,
distance about seven miles; thence up said creek, the several courses thereof, bring the boundary line between
Greenwich and Deptford townships, to the head thereof; thence still along the said boundary line to the line of
Hamilton township, distance about twelve miles; thence along the line of the west side of Hamilton township to
the line between the counties of Gloucester and Cumberland, distance about six miles; thence along the said county
line westwardly to the place of beginning, shall be and the same is hereby set off from the townships of Woolwich
and Greenwich; and the same is hereby established a separate township, to be called by the name of the township
"2d. And be it enacted, That the inhabitants of the township of Franklin shall be, and they are hereby vested
with and entitled unto, all the powers, privileges, and authorities, and shall be, and are hereby made, subject
to the like regulations and government which the inhabitants of the aforesaid townships of Woolwich and Greenwich
are subject and entitled to; and the inhabitants of the said township of Franklin be, and they are hereby incorporated,
styled, and known by the name of 'the inhabitants of the township of Franklin, in the county of Gloucester,' and
entitled to all the privileges, advantages, and authorities that the other townships in the said county are entitled
unto by virtue of an act, entitled 'An act incorporating the inhabitants of townships, designating their powers
and regulating their meetings, passed the twenty-first day of February, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven
hundred and ninety-eight.
"3d. And be it enacted, That the first town-meeting of the inhabitants after the passing of this act shall
be on the second Wednesday in March next, at the house now occupied by George Cake in the village of Little Ease;
and that all town-meetings thereafter shall be held on the second Wednesday in March annually, at such place as
the electors of said township shall from time to time direct and appoint.
"4th. And be it enacted, That on the second Thursday after the first town-meeting in said township, the township
committee of the said townships of Woolwich, Greenwich, and Franklin shall meet at the place aforesaid, at two
o'clock in the afternoon of said day, and then and there proceed to the settlement of such business as is or may
be necessary to be settled between the said townships: Provided, that if either of the committees as aforesaid
shall neglect or refuse to meet as aforesaid, it shall be lawful for such committees as do meet to proceed to such
REPORT OF COMMITTEE OF TOWNSHIP LINE
"We, the subscribers, being a committee appointed by the committees of the townships of Woolwich, Greenwich,
and Franklin, to superintend the running of the line between the townships of Woolwich and Greenwich on the one
side, and Franklin on the other side, do report to committees of each respective township that we have caused said
line to be run and marked: Beginning at the head of Oldman's Creek in the line between the counties of Gloucester
and Salem, and from thence north forty degrees and thirty minutes east, Five hundred and thirty-five chains to
Mantus Creek, opposite Andrew Dilks' dwelling House, agreeably to the act of the Legislature in the above case
made and provided.
"Josiah Moore, Woolwich,
"Michael Allen, Greenwich,
"Gabriel Isaacs, Franklin.
"April 3, 1820."
For all the information in relation to pioneers of what is now Franklin township we are indebted to Mr. William
Porch, whose venerable years and bright memories of the past carries us back among the settlers of this then forest
of pines and oaks, and, with but a slight draft upon the imagination, we can see the brave pioneer wending his
way into the wilderness, marking here and there a tree as a guide to his future operations or necessities. It
was the custom of the pioneers of this township to take up or warrant a sufficient number of acres of land for
each of their children a good-sized farm, that when the original should pass away he might leave to each of his
numerous family a plantation for their future support.
Among this class of pioneers was John Porch, who located at what is now known as Porchtown. His purchase embraced
an area of two thousand five hundred acres in that immediate vicinity. Having a foresight of the necessities of
himself and others, he built a grist mill on the stream running through his plantation. He also built a saw-mill
at that point and since that time, about 1780, Porchtown has not been without both saw- and grist-mills, until
within a few years the saw-mill has been abandoned and is fast going to decay.
The property passed into the hands of William Porch, and from him to his children, among whom the two thousand
five hundred acres of land was divided, a part of which went to Stephen Porch. Samuel Freese married a daughter
of William Porch, and their share, six hundred acres, was subsequently sold to the Camden Fire Insurance Company,
and nearly or quite all of the original tract is now owned by parties other than the Porch family. The mill-property
and one hundred acres is owned by Robert Butler, and Mr. Porch says that James L. Wickham owns "quite a clever
bunch of the land" once owned by his grandfather, John Porch.
In the early part of this century Joseph Porch kept a store at Porchtown, and at that time there was a large amount
of business transacted at that place. Joseph Smith, son of Thomas Smith, who was born about 1730, owned quite
an extensive tract of land adjoining the Porch tract.
That part of the township in which the hamlet and railroad state of Iona is situated was settled by Moses Crane.
He took up something over a thousand acres in and around this locality, and became a prominent man in the affairs
of the township, and was the father of a large family, to whom his property descended. That locality was known
for many years as Cranetown, but when the family, to a large extent, had ceased to be possessors of the original
tract, and the railroad had been built, the name of the place was changed to Iona, and at present but very little
of the original tract is owned by the Crane family.
As will be seen by reference to the history of the village of Malaga, Daniel H. Miller was a large land-owner around
that locality in the early part of the present century. Another of the pioneers of that locality was Joshua Richman,
who came here as early as 1815, and located a large tract of land, upon which he lived for nearly sixty years.
Mr. Richman was one of those honest, industrious pioneers, whose unassuming manner, sound judgment, and rectitude
of life made him a suitable person to be trusted with the financial affairs of the township, and the settlement
of differences of opinion between his neighbors. He lived to a good old age, departing this life in 1882, honored
and respected by his townsmen, leaving a good name for his numerous descendants to honor and perpetuate.
Among the pioneers near the centre of the township was Robert Chew, who located a large tract of land, where he
lived and died. Of his family there were twelve children, who, with their descendants, are scattered over this
and adjoining townships. Samuel Sharp was also an old settler in this locality, whose first purchase was a tract
of one hundred and fifty acres. He was the father of a large family, all of whom have left this locality.
Philip Woolford was another pioneer of this part of the township, which was sometimes called Hopeville. Woolfordtown,
and Plainville. He was the owner of quite a large tract here, the most of which passed into the possession of
his descendants. John Trimnel was also one of the pioneers of Woolfordtown, and was a millwright by trade, and
is said to have been one of the best mechanics in this section of country. Some of his descendants are still residents
of Franklin township.
William Chew and William Surran were the prominent pioneers of that quarter of the township known as Pine Hollow,
or Chewville, near Dutch mill. Both of these pioneers were large land-owners, and assisted largely in clearing
off the timber and improving the land in that locality. Each of these men were the progenitors of large families,
none of whom are owners of any portion of the original tracts.
That portion of the township in and around what is known as Downstown was settled by Aquilla Downs, who was the
father of a numerous family. Mr. Downs was not only one of the pioneer farmers of this section, but was also a
local preacher in the Methodist denomination, and employed his talents in that direction by preaching to the inhabitants
of the different settlements. Two of his sons, Osborn and Jesse, were very acceptable preachers on the old-fashioned
Methodist circuits. At the death of Rev. Aquilla Downs his large estate passed into the possession of his children,
and has passed from one generation to another, and is still nearly all owned by his descendants. Samuel Downs
was also one of the pioneers in this part of the township and owned a large tract of land; also John Downs was
one of the pioneer purchasers of a large tract of land in this vicinity, most of which is now owned by his son,
George Downs, who is now one of the old men of the township. Benjamin Downs was a surveyor, and subsequently located
In that part of the township now known as Forest Grove the pioneer settler was William Wilson, who built a mill
which subsequently went to decay. Robert Parvin located here soon after Wilson, when the two commenced the blacksmith
and wheelwright business. Wilson soon engaged in the mercantile business, when the little hamlet soon began to
put on a business-like appearance, and the whole property was then purchased by Richard Wood. Like many other
young and promising towns, the wealth, or rather poverty, of the surrounding country did not warrant the expenditures,
and the little town has not enlarged to any extent beyond its youthful dimensions.
In the early part of this century there stood an old house, a short distance below the mill, known as the "Refugee
house." It was a double log building, i.e. one building inclosed within another, and so arranged that a person
acquainted with its construction could easily secrete himself from one not acquainted with its peculiar construction.
It is said that this building was used as a place of refuge by certain parties who were supposed to flee from
the iron grasp of the law, and that under or around it large sums of money were buried. Tradition says that George
Cake secured quite a sum from the old house, which enabled him to start in business. The old house long since
went to decay.
PROCEEDINGS OF THE PIONEER TOWN-MEETING
"At a town-meeting of the inhabitants of the township of Franklin, held at George Cake's Inn at Little Ease,
on the 8th day of March, A.D. 1820, pursuant to an act of the Legislature of New Jersey, passed the 27th day of
January, A.D. 1820, Jeptha Abbot was chosen Moderator and Isaac Thorn Town Clerk. Town Clerk being duly affirmed
that he would faithfully and honestly keep all the papers and writings, books and accounts committed to his care,
and that he would in all things to the best of my knowledge and understanding proform the Duties of my said office
of Clerk without favour or partiality.
"The Clerk being sworn, proceeded to nomination, and the following persons was chosen for the different Town
Ship officers, vix,: Assessor, Levi L. Campbell; Collector, Jeptha Abbott; Commissioners of Appeal, Samuel Fisher,
William Porch, and Jacob Stanger; Freeholders, Daniel Focer, Jacob Fisher; surveyors of Highways, Moses Crane,
Francis Stanger; Overseers of the Poor, Levi L. Campbell, Jeptha Abbott; Constables, Abraham Leddon, Nathaniel
Salmon; Overseers of Highways, Jacob Swupe, David Speran, Samuel Sharp; Pound Keepers, Eli Whitney, Nathaniel Salmon;
Judge of Elections, George Anderson; Town Committee, George Anderson, Gabriel Isgard, William Porch, Samuel Fisher,
"The different officers for the Township being chosen, proceeded to vote how much money should be raised for
the use of the Township, and it was carried by a large majority that the sum of Four Hundred should be raised --
$400.00: It was moved and carried that the Election for Council and General Assembly for the present year should
be opened the first day at Malaga and the Last day at Glassboro.
"It was also moved and carried that the next annual Town-meeting shall be held at Little Ease."
The following list of officers are given as found upon the township records:
|1821-22, 1826, 1827-27.
||Thomas B. Wood.
||James C. Trueland.
||Eli B. Budd.
||John C. Sheets.
||John R. Graham
||John H. Muflam.
||Samuel G. Fisler
||George B. Cake.
||Joseph F. Porch.
||Robert A. Rosenbaum.
||William H. Todd.
||Levi L. Campbell.
||Benjamin C. Down.
||Matthias R. Crane.
||John V. Porch.
||Benjamin T. Crane.
||Joseph F. Porch.
||William F. Beckett.
||Isaac S. Peacock.
||William Porch, Jr.
|1855-57, 1861-63, 1866-67.
||Joseph L. Veal.
||J. C. Richman.
||John V. Porch.
|1831-34, 1837-38, 46-47.
||Christian L. Stanger.
||Samuel D. Fisler.
||John R. Graham.
||John S. Stanger.
||Richard G. Stanger.
||William P. Crane.
||John C. Vanzant.
||Joseph M. Iredell.
||Levi L. Campbell.
||William Porch, Esq.
||William Porch, Esq.
||William Wood, Esq.
||William Porch, Esq.
||William Porch, Esq.
||Levi L. Campbell.
||John G. Rosenbaum.
||John G. Rosenbaum.
||Matthias R. Crane.
||Thomas H. Paul.
||Matthias R. Crane.
||Benjamin H. Fisler.
||M. E. Crane.
||M. E. Crane.
||Stephen G. Porch.
||Stephen G. Porch.
||Stephen G. Porch.
||M. E. Crane.
||Matthias R. Crane.
||John C. Van Zant.
||William B. Rosenbaum.
||John C. Van Zant.
||Joseph Lashley, Esq.
||Joseph M. Iredell.
||Alfred B. Richman.
||Jonathan H. Smith.
||A. B. Richman.
||J. H. Smith.
||William P. Crane, Esq.
||William P. Crane.
||Joseph M. Iredell.
||Joseph M. Iredell.
||Jonathan H. Smith.
1821. George Anderson, Gabriel Isgard, William Porch, Thomas B. Wood, Samuel Downs.
1822. Johnson Beckett, William Porch, Gabriel Isgard, George Anderson, Jeptha Abbott.
1823. William Porch, Gabriel Isgard, George Anderson, Daniel Focer, Thomas B. Wood.
1824. William Pickles, Levi L. Campbell, George Cake, Gabriel Isgard, Samuel Downs.
1825. Levi L. Campbell, Daniel Focer, John Jackson, Charles Davis, Benjamin H. Fisler.
1826. L. L. Campbell, Benjamin Harding, William Pickles, Samuel Downs, Samuel Porch.
1827. Lewis Stanger, Benjamin Harding, Charles Davis, Samuel Porch, Abraham Leddon.
1828. Abraham Leddon, Lewis Stanger, Lawrence Cake, Joseph Iszard, Samuel Porch.
1829. Daniel Focer, Joseph Albertson, Samuel Porch, Charles Davis, Robert Chew.
1830. Benjamin C. Down, Charles Davis, Joseph Albertson, Robert Chew, Samuel Porch, Esq.
1831. Josiah Beckett, Charles Davis, Robert Chew, David Carney, John Harding.
1832. Charles Davis, Joel Steelman, John Harding, Joseph Iszard, David Carney.
1833. John G. Rosenbaum, Samuel Porch, Samuel Sharp, Matthias R. Crane, Samuel Fisler.
1834. John G. Rosenbaum, Samuel Fisler, M. E. Crane, Charles Davis, Jacob Stanger.
1835-36 . J. G. Rosenbaum, Samuel Fisler, Sr., Jacob Stanger, M.E. Crane, Charles Davis.
1837-38. J. G. Rosenbaum, Thomas H. Whitney, Johnson Beckett, Robert Chew, M. E. Crane.
1839. J. G. Rosenbaum, Walter H. Dunlevy, James Downs, Samuel D. Fisler, David Veal.
1840. J. G. Rosenbaum, David Veal, Walter H. Dunlevy, James Downs, Wesley Beckett.
1841. J. G. Rosenbaum, James Downs, Wesley Beckett, David Veal, George Craver.
1842. Matthias R. Crane, James Downs, Wesley Beckett, David Veal, George Craver.
1843. Robert Chew, Jacob Porch, Henry S. Brown, M. E. Crane, Wesley Beckett.
1844-46 . Benjamin H. Fisler, J. G. Rosenbaum, Thomas H. Whitney, Joshua Richman, Wesley Beckett.
1847-48. J. G. Rosenbaum, Jacob Porch, Joshua Richman, Jacob Fisler, Wesley Beckett.
1849. J. G. Rosenbaum, Joshua Richman, Jacob Porch, Joseph Fisler, Woodward Warrick.
1850. William S. Scott, Wesley Beckett, Osborn Downs, Woodward Warrick, John V. Porch.
1851. Benjamin Beckett, John G. Rosenbaum, Charles Davis, Wesley Beckett, Gabriel Abbot.
1852. J. G. Rosenbaum, Benjamin Beckett, Charles Davis, Jacob Porch, Gabriel Abbott.
1853. Jacob Porch, Matthias R. Crane, Christopher Sickler, Joseph T. Paulin, Wade Fisler.
1854. Christopher Sickler, Wade Fisler, John Saul, James Cassady, William P. Crane.
1855. C. Sickler, Charles Davis, James Cassady, Wade Fisler, William P. Crane.
1856. C. Sickler, Martin Madden, Charles Davis, Wade Fisler, William P. Crane.
1857. C. Sickler, Gabriel T. Abbott, Stephen G. Porch, Nathaniel C. Fisler, Edward Lashley.
1858. J. G. Rosenbaum, Osborn Downs, S. G. Porch, Nathaniel C. Fisler, Samuel D. Chew.
1859. Jacob Porch, John G. Van Zant, John S. Veal, Samuel D. Chew, Nathaniel C. Fisler.
1860. William B. Rosenbaum, C. L. Stanger, John Saul, William Scott, Jacob Porch.
1861. W. B. Rosenbaum, C. L. Stanger, James Cassady, William Nelson, William H. Marshall.
1862. W. B. Rosenbaum, W. H. Marshall, James Cassady, Christian L. Stanger, William Nelson.
1863. W. B. Rosenbaum, W. H. Marshall, John Van Zant, William Nelson, Frank Hooke.
1864. N. C. Fisler, Osborn Down, Frank Hooke, W. H. Marshall, William Nelson.
1865. W. H. Marshall, Osborn Down, Joshua Richman, Matthias R. Crane, William H. Todd.
1866. W. H. Marshall, Osborn Down, Joshua Richman, Thomas Wilson, William B. Rosenbaum.
1867-68 . W. H. Marshall, J. Richman, Osborn Down, Richard C. Souders, Jacob Porch.
1869-70. W. H. Marshall, Osborn Down, J. Richman, R. C. Souder, Moses Crane.
1871-72. Joshua Richman, R. C. Souders, Moses Crane, Joseph Irish, John W. Down.
1873. J. Richman, R. C. Souders, John W. Down, Thadeus C. Throup, Jonathan H. Smith.
1874. J. Richman, R. C. Souder, J. W. Down, J. H. Smith, Moses Crane.
1875. J. W. Down, M. Crane, Isaac S. Sharp, Joseph Irish, Charles P. Crane.
1876. J. W. Down, M. Crane, Joseph Irish, C. P. Crane, Adam K. Richman.
1877. M. Crane, J. W. Down, C. P. Crane, Adam K. Richman, Michael Fair.
1878. M. Crane, C. P. Crane, A. K. Richman, M. Fair, John Trimnel, Sr.
1879. A. K. Richman, Moses Crane, James Maltman.
1880. A. K. Richman, James Maltman, Thomas S. Down.
1881. A. K. Richman, T. S. Down, Moses Crane.
1882. Charles S. Clark, Charles D. Smith, A. K. Richman.
||John Jackson, Benjamin Downs.
||Benjamin C. Down.
||Benjamin T. Crane.
||Samuel D. Fisler.
||Jacob M. Nelson.
||Joseph T. Paulin.
||William Porch, Jr.
||William Porch, Benijah Down.
||William Porch, Jesse Down.
||William Porch, Jonah R. Colmer.
||William Porch, Stephen G. Call.
||William Porch, Richard W. Odlum.
||William Porch, Charles P. Holston.
||William Porch, Albert Wells, Alfred Howes.
||W. Porch, Henry Leddon, Oscar B. Smith.
||W. Porch, William A. Hagarman, O. B. Smith.
||W. Porch, James C. Jones, William K. Hagarman.
||W. Porch, W. K. Hagarman, O. B. Smith.
||W. K. Hagarman, O. B. Smith, M. D. L. Chew, W. Porch, Harry L. Shaw.
||William Porch, W. K. Hagarman, M. D. L. Chew, Oscar B. Smith
W. Porch elected in 1881 for three years, Edwin Chance for two years, and M. D. L. Chew for one year.
In 1882, David Hendon was elected for three years, and M. D. L. Chew for one year.
The following is a list of officers for 1883:
Town Clerk, William J. Todd; Assessor, Joshua C. Richman; Collector, William Porch; Chosen Freeholders, Jonathan
H. Smith, Joseph M. Iredell; Township Committee, Adam K. Richman, Charles S. Clark, James Maltman; Surveyors of
Highways, Harry W. Jones, Cornelius Trimnell; Overseer of Poor, Thomas H. Iredell, Constable, M. D. L. Chew; Commissioners
of Appeal, Charles Trimnell, Stephen P. Crane, George Robinson; Judge of Election, Andrew Buckingham; Inspectors
of Election, Miller Van Nute, David Van Hook; Justices of the Peace, William A. Warriner, Thomas N. Atkinson, Samuel
McCurdy; Pound Keepers, Leonard McGee, Joseph A. Kandle, Henry J. Iredell, Ashton W. Thomas, Isaac S. Sharp, Joseph
Extracts from Records -
The following are copies of an affirmation and oath taken by two of the pioneer officers of this township, and
were, no doubt, as scrupulously lived up to as are the legal forms of the present day:
I, Levi L. Campbell, do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm, that I will truly, faithfully, honestly, and
impartially value and assess the ratable estates in the township of Franklin, in the County of Gloucester, and
that in making such valuation and assessment, I will, to the best of my Knowledge and Judgement, observe the directions
of the Laws respecting the same.
(Signed) LEVI L. CAMPBELL
Taken before Isaac Thorn, Esq., on the 13th day of March, A.D. 1820, and received the same day.
I do solemnly and sincerely promise and swear that I will in all things, to the best of my knowledge and understanding,
justly and faithfully Execute the office of Surveyor of highways, without favour or Partiality.
(Signed) MOSES CRANE.
Taken before William Porch, Esqr., on the 13th day of March, A.D. 1820, and received the same day.
Entrays for the year 1820.
At George Cake's.
A steer, past tow years old, with a wite Back, Brindle sides, with a number of wite spots on and is wite spots
in the flanks. A large wite ewe.
At Noah Park's.
A Brindle Cow with a crop off the near ear and half crop off the upper side the oft ear, with only three Tits.
Booked Dec. 29, 1820.
At Nathaniel Salmon's
A Small Black Heiffer (2 year old), with som small wite spots, marked a crop off the oft ear and half crop off
the near ear.
At Abe Leddon's.
A small wite ewe, with a half crop and a slit in the oft ear and a slope half-penny in the near ear. A small wite
Ewe, part Marino, with a crop in the near ear & a slope half-penny in the oft ear.
At Jacob Stanger, Junr.
A wite ewe, with a crop off the near ear and a slit and a half-penny in the under side of the oft ear. A small
wite Ewe, part Marino, with a crop of the near ear and a hole and a half-penny the under side of the aft ear.
At Charles Davis'.
A wite Ram, Marked, a Swallow-fork in the near ear and a half-penny under the same ear. A ewe (wite) Marked a crop
off the near ear and a hole in the same ear. A wite Weather, marked a crop off each ear and a half-penny under
each ear, and two slits in the oft ear and one in the near ear.
At Jacob Fisler's.
A wite Weither, Marked a crop off each ear and a hole in the near ear.
A Wite Ewe, Marked a crop off the near ear and a half-penny on each side both ears and a slit in the oft ear.
We, the judges and inspectors of election of the Township of Franklin, in the county of Gloucester, do hereby certify
that having proceeded to receive the votes of the voters of said Township, the following is a list of all the candidates
voted for, of the officers proposed for them, and the number of votes for each.
For Members of the Legislative Council: John Baxter, sixty-seven; Joseph Lodge, seven.
For Members of the General Assembly: William Tallen, nine; John Wilson, eleven; Thomas Garwood, thirty-five; John
Moore Wite, fourteen; Joseph V. Clark, fourteen; William Watson, forty; Jeremiah J. Foster, forty-two; Samuel Kille,
For Sheriff: Benjamin Wilkins, seventy-five.
For Coroners: Isaac Mickle, Jr., thirty-six; John Ziorns, forty-four; Nehemiah Blackman, seventy-two; John Plount,
twenty-nine; Freedom L. Shinn, thirty-eight.
The whole number of votes taken, seventy-six.
In testimony whereof, we have hereunto subscribed our names and affixed our seals, the 11th day of October, in
the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and twenty.
A true coppy.
GEORGE ANDERSON, Judge [L.R.]
LEVI L. CAMPBELL, Assessor [L.R.]
JEPTHA ABBOT, Collector [L.R.]
ISAAC THORN, T. Clk. [L.R.]
At the Presidential election held Nov. 8, 1820, the whole number of votes cast was thirty-eight, as follows:
For Members of Congress: Joseph McIlvane, nine; James Matlack, twenty-nine.
For Electors: Richard M. Cooper, nineteen; Robert L. Armstrong, sixteen.
The certificate is signed by the same township officers as that for county offices in October.
At the township-meeting held in March, 1821, the following resolutions were offered and adopted by the voters:
"Resolved, That one hundred dollars be raised for the use of the township.
"Resolved, That the annual election for the Council and General Assembly of this State open at Malaga and
close at Glassborough.
"Resolved, That the next annual Town-Meeting be held at George Cake's, Little Ease."
"Resolved, That the Overseers of Highways' wages be seventy-five cents per day.
"Resolved, That four hundred dollars be raised for the use of the township.
"Resolved, That the Annual Town-meeting shall be held at Little Ease, when the votes shall be taken by Ballot."
This appears to be the first time the ballot was made use of at town-meetings. At this time Glassboro and Clayton
were included in Franklin township.
At the Presidential election in 1824 the number of votes had increased to fifty-six, when John Buck, Joseph Kille,
Isaac Wilson, James Parker, and Daniel Vleit each are credited with that number for electors, Joseph W. Scott and
John Beatty, Jr., with thirty-seven votes each, and Joseph Kline and James Cook, nineteen each.
At this election George Casaday, Samuel Swan, George Holcomb, Lewis Condiet, Daniel Garrison, received for Congress
fifty-six votes each, and Ebenezer Tucker thirty-two, and James Matlack thirty-three votes.
In February, 1825, when the vote was taken in relation to location of court-house, jail, and other county buildings,
the whole number of votes cat by Franklin township was two hundred and twelve, of which Woodbury received one hundred
and eighty-seven, and Camden, or within one mile thereof, received twenty-five votes, -- quite an increase in number
of votes from November, 1824, to February, 1825.
The certificate was signed by Jacob Stanger, judge of election; Isaac Thorn, assessor; Samuel Fisler, collector;
and Daniel Focer, town clerk.
Pioneer School Committee. - At the annual town-meeting in March, 1826, the following-named persons were elected
a "committee for the education of poor children in this township:" Walter Dunlevy, Thomas B. Wood, Laurence
Cake, Jacob Fisler, Jr., William Porch, John Jackson, and Aquilla Down.
"Ordered, That the township committee pay to the school committee the money raised last year (1825) for the
use of said school.
"Ordered, That the school committee shall proportion the money received by them for the use aforesaid to the
best of their ability."
At the town-meeting in March, 1828, the following resolutions were unanimously adopted:
"Resolved, That the voting of this township shall be by marking.
"Resolved, That no person shall hold more than one township office.
"Resolved, That there be but one constable to serve the township.
"Resolved, That there shall be three districts for overseers of the roads, namely, 1st, 2d, 3d, and one overseer
"Resolved, That the money in the school fund shall go into the hands of the township committee."
At the annual town-meeting in March, 1830, the following-named persons were elected a "school committee:"
Robert Chew, Benjamin Harding, William Porch, Esq., Dr. Jacob Fisler, Levi L. Campbell. These gentlemen held the
position of "school committee" till the spring of 1837, when the records tell us that "the town
committee to act in place of the school committee," yet at the annual town-meeting in March, 1838, Jacob Stanger,
John V. Porch, and James Down were elected a "school committee," neither of whom are members of the town
The inhabitants continued to elect three persons annually as a school committee till the spring of 1847, when Miles
Synott was elected "school superintendent," which office was continued till the law was changed creating
a county superintendent of schools.
VILLAGES AND HAMLETS
Malaga is a small hamlet, situated on the southwest side of the township, near the line of Cumberland County.
The land upon which the village is located was owned, previous to 1813 or 1814, by Daniel H. Miller, who owned
a tract of several thousand acres in this vicinity. Upon this large tract was nothing more than the farm-house
and several tenements till 1814, when the entire tract was purchased by Christian L. Stanger, who, in 1813 probably,
built a saw-mill just below where the present bridge crosses the stream. This was the pioneer improvement of what
is now the village of Malaga. At this mill was manufactured the lumber for building the pioneer glassworks of
what is now Franklin township.
The pioneer store was the one connected with the glass-works, and owned by Stanger & Co. Soon there were other
stores at this place, all of which soon served their time and were abandoned.
The pioneer blacksmith and wheelwright were also connected with the glass-works.
The pioneer tavern was kept by Ferguson McGonigal. The old building stood in front of the site occupied by the
present hotel. There was a large lot in rear, or along the road leading to the railroad depot, and the space between
the tavern and glass factory, now occupied by buildings, was then vacant.
A saw-mill, on the site of the present one, was built by Jacob Stanger, during the ownership of the property by
C.L.Stanger & Co., and the present grist-mill was built by John G. Rosenbaum in 1830. He intended the mill
originally for his own use exclusively; but as soon as it was in operation the people of the surrounding country,
who had been in the habit, from necessity, of pounding their corn and wheat in the old-fashioned mortar, began
to patronize the new mill, and Mr. Rosenbaum was therefore under the necessity of enlarging his private mill to
the capacity of the present mill.
For several years Malaga was, to all appearances, a thriving town; but, like all such towns with a floating population,
it soon ceased to be anything more than whatever the glass-factory happened, with its good or ill fortune, to make
it, as the village is not surrounded with a rich farming community, upon which merchants and mechanics mostly depend
There are at present in the village the Malaga GlassWorks, two general stores, one owned by the glass company and
the other by R.C. Souders; one tavern, by Joseph M. Iredell; saw- and grist-mills, one blacksmith, one large two-story
school-house, the old town hall, now owned and occupied by the Methodist Episcopal Society as a place of worship;
three secret societies, -- Knights of Pythias, Knights of Labor, and Junior American Mechanics. The village contains
a population of about two hundred and fifty. The railroad station is about half a mile northeast from the main
street of the town.
The postmasters of Malaga have been J.G. Rosenbaum, Chew, McClure, Down, and the present postmaster, Ferdinand
Iona - This is a small hamlet, situated on the line of the West Jersey Railroad, about one and a half miles from
Franklinville, and was made a railroad station in 1860 or 1861. The place was settled by Moses Crane, the father
of a large family, and known for many years as "Cranetown." Mr. Crane built a saw-mill here, which was
in operation till about 1875, when it was abandoned. There is at present at Iona a railroad station, store, steam
saw-mill, owned by sons of W. P. Crane, and town hall. Population about seventy-five.
Porchtown, a small hamlet on the southwest line of the township, adjoining Cumberland County, where there is a
grist-mill, blacksmith-shop, shoe-shop, and Methodist Episcopal church, and about seventy inhabitants.
New Denmark is a small collection of farm-houses, about two miles southeast from Franklinville, without store or
mechanic of any kind, and has a population of thirty or forty.
Franklinville, located in the northwest part of the township, was one of the earliest settled localities in what
is now Franklin. The land upon which the village is located was owned, at the beginning of the present century,
by William Fisher, who located a tract of over one thousand acres, and for many years the hamlet was called Little
Ease, and so designated in the early records of the township.
During the ownership by Mr. Fisher, and some time previous to 1800, he built a saw-mill at this place, and upon
the same site two mills have succeeded the first one, and the third one was in operation till 1867, when the milling
business at this point was abandoned. Previous to the building of a saw-mill there was a turning-mill at Little
Ease. Myers Wilson owned the property subsequent to the ownership by Fisher. Mr. Wilson was a millwright and
wheelwright combined, and carried on both branches of the trade. Samuel Porch purchased of Myers Wilson the thousand-acre
tract, including the mill property, and owned the whole for many years.
The pioneer tavern at Little Ease was kept by George Cake, he having purchased of Myers Wilson a small lot of land,
upon which he built a house on or near the site of the present tavern-house. Here Mr. Cake kept the pioneer tavern
for many years, and at his death the business was continued by his son, Lawrence Cake, who became prominently identified
with the business interests of the township, holding prominent township offices at various dates. Lawrence Cake
kept the old hostlery for about twenty years, when he sold to Leonard Larkins, who continued the business till
his death, which occurred in 1879 or 1880, since which time Franklinville has been without a tavern. The property,
however, has been purchased by a party in Philadelphia.
In connection with the tavern George Cake kept a store, and at his death was succeeded in that, as well as the
tavern, by his son Lawrence.
The second store at what is now Franklinville was kept by Samuel Porch, grandfather of the present venerable William
Porch, who is now and has for nearly thirty years been township collector. Mr. Porch was succeeded at the yardstick
and old beam-scales by Joseph Medara, who was followed by James Welch, John McClintock, John Graham, and he by
Edmund Jones, the present principal merchant of the village. Mr. Jones commenced the mercantile business here
about 1858, and in the mean time has filled the office of sheriff of Gloucester County one term, and is at present
one of the lay judges of the County Court.
The earliest blacksmith at this place within the recollection of the oldest inhabitant was William Davis, who was
here in the early part of the present century, and the pioneer shoemaker was honest old John Phillips. Paul Early
was the wheelwright at Little Ease as early as 1820.
The third store at Franklinville was kept by John F. Nute, in connection with the railroad station. When the station-house
was built, in 1867, Mr. Nute was made station agent, and in one part of the building he opened a general store.
June 30, 1880, the station, store, and stock of goods was destroyed by fire, caused by a spark from a passing
engine. Mr. Nute soon erected the store building now standing on the opposite side of the railroad track, where
his is still engaged in the mercantile business, and is also the present postmaster at Franklinville. The next
store was that of Thomas Wilson, in his dwelling, a short distance form the railroad station. His store is more
especially for the accommodation of his family and his numerous employes than for the public generally.
There are at Franklinville three stores, by Edmund Jones, John F. Nute & Son, and Thomas Wilson; two churches,
Methodist Episcopal and Presbyterian; one school-house, railroad station, and post-office. There is no mill, blacksmith,
wheelwright, doctor, lawyer, or tavern, and population only about seventy-five.
Plainville, situated near the centre of the town-ship, where there is a Methodist Episcopal Church, and about a
dozen dwellings in the neighborhood.
Chewville, situated in the southeast corner of the township, where there is a Methodist Episcopal Church, steam
saw-mill, cemetery, and ten or twelve dwellings.
Downstown is a small collection of houses at the intersection of six roads on the Atlantic County line, where there
is also a store, blacksmith-shop, and about forty inhabitants.
Forest Grove is another of those mythical towns, containing about thirty dwellings, steam saw-mill, blacksmith
and wheelwright shop, by Oscar Smith, post-office and store, by William Ellis, a brick Methodist Episcopal Church,
and brick school-house.
Newfield -- This is comparatively a new town, situate in the south part of the township, at the junction of the
Atlantic and West Jersey Railroad with the main line of the West Jersey Road, and is on the old Rosenbaum tract.
In 1863, Allen Heminway, father of Amenzo B. Heminway, purchased a tract of one hundred and forty-four acres of
land on the west side of the railroad, and Capt. Ely, of Philadelphia, purchased one hundred and eleven acres on
the east side of the railroad; and soon after that, Morris & Co. purchased large tracts around the two former,
and the whole of the three tracts was surveyed into streets and building lots and offered for sale.
The railroad station was built, quite a number of lots sold, houses built, stores and shops built, mechanics busy,
and the banner of prosperity seemed to wave over the embryo town for a short time, when the tide of immigration
ceased or diverted to other points, and the prestige once lost has never been regained.
The pioneer store was opened by Charles Pitt Lashley, who was succeeded by different merchants, and finally by
J. J. Sturmer, the present merchant, in the old store. The next store was that of Mrs. Harriet A. Evans, in the
building where she is now located.
The building known as the "Newfield House" was built by a Mr. Knowles, of Philadelphia, and sold to H.
A. Pelton, who kept the hotel till 1881, when he died. Since then the house has been kept by Mrs. Pelton, the
present proprietress. The pioneer shoemaker was William Summervill, who has increased his business to the dignity
of a boot and shoe store. John B. Carman commenced the boot and shoe trade here in the spring of 1882.
The pioneer blacksmith at Newfield was William Grant, who located here about the year 1868 or 1869, and was soon
succeeded by Thomas Bateman, who remained till 1872, when he was succeeded by Pierson & Garvin, who built the
present wheelwright-shop. They sold the property to Joseph James, the present blacksmith at Newfield. The present
wheelwright is Langdon W. Harris. The Newfield stove and tin store is kept by a Mr. Wakeman. There is also at
this place a small rattan basket and chair works, of which R. J. Morell is superintendent.
The pioneer postmaster at this place was Allen Heminway, who was succeeded by his son, DeWitt C., and he by his
wife, Mrs. M. J. Heminway, the present postmistress. The West Jersey Railroad was built to this place in 1864,
and the Atlantic Junction in 1880. DeWitt C. Heminway was the first station agent, and Allen C. Becket is the
The Weekly Item, an eight-column newspaper, was established here in October, 1873, by Albert C. Dalton, the present
publisher and editor. There is also a small Baptist Church at this place, of which we could gain no reliable information.
Malaga Lodge, No. 43, K. of P. - This lodge was instituted at Malaga, N.J., April 5, 1880, by Eugene V. Lorton,
G.K.R.S. of Howard Lodge, No. 53, assisted by representatives from several other lodges. The following-named persons
were the charter members: George Davis, Isaac P Smith, Joseph Akert, Joseph M. Iredell, Ebert B. Clouse, Isaac
A. Hues, William Kealy, John Vanzant, Moses D. Atkinson, Leander Zanes, Charles Bittle, Jesse Atkinson, John Loid,
Isaac S. Steward, William W. Richman, James Maltman, Philip W. Carter, Ferdinand Rosenbaum, Adam Smith, John S.
Downs, Ferdinand M. Lashley, Thomas Evans, and Joseph Kinsel.
The first officers of the lodge were John Vanzant, P.C.; Ebert B. Clouse, C.C.; Isaac A. Hues, V.C.; Isaac P. Smith,
P.; Ferdinand Rosenbaum, K. of R.S. and M. of F.; Joseph Akert, M. of E.; Philip W. Carter, M. at A.; Charles Bittle,
I.G.; John Loid, O.G.
The regular meetings of the lodge are held on Monday evening of each week in their hall in public school building.
Present membership, fifty-eight.
The present officers (August, 1882) are George W. Robinson, P.C.; George O. Mahr, C.C.; P.W. Carter, V.C.; Rev.
John B. Whitton, Prel.; Thomas Calverly, M. at A.; John Vanzant, M. of F.; F. Rosenbaum, K. of R.S.; Isaac P. Smith,
I.G.; John G. Stadler, O.G.
Forest Grove Lodge, No. 91, F. and A.M. - This lodge was instituted at Franklinville, N.J., in 1867. The records
of the lodge were destroyed by fire in June, 1880, therefore we are unable to give the names of charter members
or list of first officers. The regular communications of the lodge are held in Masonic Hall, over J. F. Nute &
Sons' store, on the Tuesday evening before the full of the moon in each month, with a membership at present (1882)
The officers for 1882 were as follows: Christian A. Madden, W.M.; Willie F. Lovejoy, S.W.; Thomas C. Hampton, J.W.;
John M. Moore, Treas.; Martin Madden, Sec.; John F. Nute, Act. Sec.; Andrew Buckingham, S.D.; Robert J. Wilson,
Franklinville Methodist Episcopal Church - This society was formerly connected with Zion Methodist Episcopal Church,
two miles distant, and in 1840-42 the school district and church united in building a house for the accommodation
of both church and school. This building was destroyed by fire in 1848, and in 1849 or 1850 another building was
erected on the site of the first one. This house remained on the old site till 1873, when the school district
decided to build a large two-story school-house upon the site of the old church and school building also decided
to donate to the church their share of the old school and church, provided the Methodists would move the building
off from the site it occupied. This was accordingly done, and the building was removed to its present site, a
short distance from the old one, enlarged and repaired, and converted into a neat and commodious house of worship.
The first class-leader at Franklinville was Nathan Nelson, and among the pioneer members we find the names of Eli
Wilson, Ann Wilson, William Atkinson, David Veal, Samuel Nelson, Patience Nelson, Rebecca Atkinson, James Atkinson,
Mary Atkinson, Samuel Porch, and James Porch.
The first trustees of the church property were William Atkinson, Samuel Porch, David Veal, and Nathan Nelson.
The present class-leaders are Henry C. Atkinson and Thomas Parks. Present trustees, William Porch, Joseph Matlock,
Nathan D. Walton, James Atkinson, George Atkinson, and Abbott Atkinson. Present membership, sixty. Value of church
property, twelve hundred dollars. Henry S. Spalding is superintendent of the Sunday-school, with an average attendance
of thirty scholars.
Among the preachers who have served this people we find the names of Revs. ----- Stout, Noah Edwards, Levi D. Rhodes,
------ Morrell, ------ Estlack, ------ Corson, and ------ Huard, the present pastor.
Lake M.E. Church was erected by S. M. Hudson in 1865. The Downs and Lashley families were prominent at the time
of the organization of the society. By reason of the sparseness of the population and the poverty of the inhabitants
in the vicinity of this church, its prosperity has not equaled the expectations of its founders. Many of the original
members have died, but the few that are left are faithful and diligent workers in the cause of Christianity.
Zion M.E. Church, at Porchtown - The people in this neighborhood at an early time determined to erect a house of
worship, and accordingly, in 1828, they set about the work. With their own hands they felled and hewed the timber,
and in due time the structure was completed. Among the prominent founders of this church were the families of
Porch, David Veasy, Reuben Langley, and Matthias Crane, all noble and earnest workers.
The church was flourishing at the commencement of its career. It had two important elements of prosperity, --faithfulness
and zeal among its members, and during many years it was the principal place of worship in the vicinity. The house
was rebuilt in 1860, but since that time the number of members in the society has diminished, and although services
are held more frequently than in former times, attendance on these services is not as large as then.
Presbyterian Church. - This an auxiliary or out-station of the Williamstown Presbyterian Church. Previous to 1850,
Rev. Mr. Ford established a preaching station at this point, and in that year a branch organization was effected
and the present house of worship built. There being but few persons at this place of the pure Calvinistic faith
and doctrine, preaching was not kept regularly, or not oftener than once a month. After Mr. Ford left the Williamstown
congregation preaching was neglected at this point, until that part of the exercises was abandoned entirely.
The Sunday-school connected with this branch is under the superintendence of Mrs. Ellen J. Wilson, who meets her
school in the little meeting-house every Sabbath, where she has an average attendance of twenty pupils.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Malaga was organized, as near as can be remembered by the oldest inhabitant, in 1860.
The old school-house lot, where the church now stands, had, in the early part of this century, been donated for
school, church, and burial purposes by the elder Rosenbaum.
About the time of the organization of the church society, the Sons of Temperance, who were then flourishing in
Malaga, built a hall, and soon after building their hall dissolved. The Methodists had no house of worship of
their own, and the Sons of Temperance had no use for their hall, therefore gave the building to the Methodists,
provided they would move it away from its then location. Arrangements were made accordingly, and it was moved
on the old school-house lot and converted into a church, where it still serves as such. The old school-house succumbed
to the work of time, and a new one was built on another lot.
The church is supplied with preaching, ----- Willow Grove charge, Bridgeton District. J.G. Edwards was preacher
in charge in 1883. The class-leaders were Richard Smith and Isaac Westcoat, Jr.; Trustees, Richard Smith, George
W. Robinson, Isaac P. Smith, Isaac Westcoat, Jr., E.D. Riley, Joseph Kyte, and Theodore Langhrer. Membership in
1883, forty. Value of church property, one thousand dollars.
Malaga Cemetery, located in rear of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the village of Malaga, was the place of
interment of the pioneers who died in this vicinity, the following-named persons being among the number:
CHRISTIAN L. STANGER, died Aug. 4, 1867, aged 66 years.
JANE HARTMAN, died March 11, 1877, aged 63 years.
REBECCA SAILER, died Dec. 16, 1876, aged 61 years.
WILLIAM SAILER, died Oct. 24, 1871, aged 60 years.
J.J. DANIELS, Co. G. Eighth New Jersey Infantry.
CATHARINE TRAPPER, died Feb. 27, 1861, aged 66 years.
DANIEL F. P. SAURRBRWY, born June 22, 1798, in the dukedom of Saxe-Meiningen, Germany; died July 2, 1848.
JULIANNA E. SAURBREY, born Dec. 28, 1797; died Feb. 11, 1872.
JOHN G. ROSENBAUM, born in the dukedom of Saxe-Meiningen, Germany, 1794: died Jan. 19, 1860.
SIDNEY, wife of J. G. Rosenbaum, born Aug. 1, 1806; died May 6, 1852.
CORDELIA ZIHN, died March 26, 1855, aged 65 years.
SUBAH SOUDERS, died Oct. 6, 1846, aged 62 years.
LEVI SHARP, SR., died May 15, 1867, aged 74 years.
MARY SHARP, died March 17, 1861, aged 67 years.
STEPHEN S. VANZANT, died Feb. 6, 1860, aged 62 years.
PHOBE H. VANZANT, died May 24, 1862, aged 68 years.
JOHN G. VANZANT, born May 13, 1816; died Sept. 2, 1879.
SAMANTHA VANZANT, died Feb. 21, 1876, aged 64 years.
ELIZABETH VANZANT, died Dec. 18, 1877, aged 54.
FERGUSON McGONIGAL, died Feb. 17, 1840, aged 61 years.
MRS. MARY WILLIS, born Jan. 8, 1786; died Oct. 10, 1853.
JACOB SAILER, died Feb. 14, 1831, aged 58 years.
ABIGAIL SAILER,died March 23, 1846, aged 73 years.
CHARLES WORCESTER, born Sept. 22, 1811; died Oct. 27, 1851.
Malaga Glass and Manufacturing Company. - The pioneer glass-works of Franklin township were built at Malaga in
1814, by Christian L. Stanger and others. He, with others, purchased of D. H. Miller a large tract of land in
1813, or early in 1814, and built a saw-mill just below where the present bridge spans the stream at this place.
Here the lumber was manufactured for building the factory, and Gideon Matthews, then a laborer for Stanger &
Co., carted the lumber from the mill to the lot upon which the first glass-works were built. The frame of the
first building was erected July 4, 1814. In 1829 the property, including the large tract of land was purchased
by John G. Rosenbaum, who, in 1840 or 1841, added another factory to the one already in operation. He continued
the manufacture of glass-ware till about 1857, then the property changed hands, and the glass-works were operated
by Whitney Brothers until 1861, when the heirs of John G. Rosenbaum, the former operator of the works, assumed
control of the business, and in 1862 erected what is known as the new factory. For a few years subsequent to 1863
the works were operated by different firms, and in 1874 the property was purchased by the "Malaga Glass and
Manufacturing Company," who are the present owners and operators, with E. R. Wood, of Philadelphia, as president
of the company. The average number of persons employed in and around the works is eighty. The property of the
company at this place includes the larger portion of the dwellings in the village of Malaga.
Back to New Jersey Genealogy Trails