Welcome to New Jersey Genealogy Trails

Monmouth County
New Jersey
Genealogy and History



BIOGRAPHIES



Algor (or Alger)-Benjamin Alger and Ruth, his wife, are named at Middletown, 1722. About the first of this name in this country was Andrew Algor, who was at Scarborough, Maine, 1651, who had wife, and children named John, Andrew, Matthew, Elizabeth and Joanna. Branches of the Algor family settled at Lyme. Benjamin Algor m. Ruth Cottrell, d of John and sister of Nicholas, who deeded land to her 1722. In tax list of Shrewsbury township, 1764, Benjamin Auger and William Auger were among persons assessed.
[A History of Monmouth and Ocean Counties by Edwin Salter, 1890 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

ANDERSON, ROBBINS, B
., lawyer, Honolulu; born in Matawan, N. J., June 15, 1877; son of Rev. James M. and Elizabeth (Robbins) Anderson; father was Presbyterian minister and educator, being professor at Williams College, which gave him honorary degree, D. D. : mother descendant of William Bradford, governor of Plymouth Colony; married Mary Morris, daughter of Federal Judge Page Morris, formerly of Virginia, now of Duluth, Minn., Nov. 1, 1910; three children: Elizabeth, Jean and Page Morris. Graduated Yale, B. A., 1899; Harvard Law School, LL.B., 1903. Law practice with Hatch & Ballou, Honolulu, and later member law firm of Frear, Prosser, Anderson & Marx. Red Cross work, Washington, D. C., during world war, becoming manager Insular and Foreign Division of American Red Cross. Is director Hawaiian Trust Co., Ltd., and other business corporations; has held many offices in philanthropic and semi-public organizations and clubs. Member and ex-president University Club; president Yale Alumni Association of Hawaii; trustee Oahu College; director Punahou Music School; trustee Honolulu Dental Infirmary; director Y. M. C. A.; warden St. Andrew's Cathedral parish; member executive committee Hawaiian Chapter American Red Cross; member local council American Bar Association; corresponding secretary for Hawaii for Harvard Law School Alumni; member Social Science Association, Oahu Country Club and Outrigger Canoe Club. [Source: "Men of Hawaii", vol 2, Edited by John William Siddell, 1921; tr. by Rhonda Hill]


CAPTAIN HENRY E. ACKERSON.-Captain Ackerson is of Dutch extraction, his great-grandfather having emigrated from Holland. A son of the latter, Garret by name, born in Rockland County, N. Y., married Dorcas Springsteen, and later removed to Warwick, Orange County, N. Y., having during this period been prominent as a captain in the Revolutionary struggle for independence. His children were John, Garret, James, Cornelius, Jane, Betsey and Mary. Cornelius, born in Warwick, in 1832 removed with his family to the farm in Holmdel township, Monmouth County, which is now the residence of his son, the subject of this biographical sketch. He married Sarah, daughter of Elijah Townsend, of Dutchess County, N. Y., and had children, -.John T., William W., Maria A. (Mrs. Joseph Hoff), Henry E. and Ann Eliza (Mrs. Joseph H. Gibson). Henry E. Akerson was born on the 24th of July, 1821, in Orange county, N. Y., and removed at an early age with his parents to Monmouth County. He received but limited educational advantages at the common schools, and was early instructed in the use of the plough, the harrow and other implements of the farm. At the age of twenty-one he cultivated the land on shares, continuing so to do while his father lived. On the death of the latter, and a consequent division of the estate, he received his patrimony and purchased the remaining shares. Since that date the chief business interest of his life has centered in the farm. Captain Ackerson, in 1865, became interested in a stock company owning the propeller "Holmdel," which for two years he commanded on her trips between Keyport and New York, but eventually gave his attention exclusively to the farm he still cultivates. He was, in 1840, married to Mary, daughter of William Hyer, of Matawan, their children being Sarah, wife of Daniel I. Stillwell; Cornelius, married to Anna B. Stillwell and Margaret (Mrs. George H. Melville). He was a second time married, to Ida V. M., daughter of Henry D. Hendrickson, of Holmdel, whose only child is a daughter, Elizabeth S. Captain Ackerson is a Democrat in his political belief, but not active in the field of politics, his attention being wholly given to his farming enterprises. The family adheres to the faith of the Reformed (Dutch) Church, which was the belief of their ancestors.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn. - Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]



HENRY BENNETT. - The grandfather of Henry Bennett was Hendrick, the son of William Bennett, born October 15, 1752, who died July 28, 1833, in Freehold, N.J. He was united in marriage, October 16, 1774, to Elizabeth Nowlan, whose birth occurred January 27, 1754, and her death August 29, 1817. Their children were William H., born August 1, 1775, who died April 20, 1848; John, born March 27, 1778, whose death occurred November 30, 1812; Elizabeth, born March 11, 1780, who died August 10, 1849; and Nancy, born March 24, 1783, who died in January, 1784. William H. Bennett married, on the 29th of December, 1800, Jane, daughter of Oukey Lefferson, and granddaughter of Lefferts and Jannetje Lefferson. The children of this marriage were Sarah, born October 11, 1801, and married to Walter W. Hart; John, born October 15, 1803; Elizabeth Ann, born January 22, 1806; William, born August 13, 1803; Henry, whose birth occurred March 17, 1811; Garret Schanck, born May 13, 1813; Gilbert, born June 18, 1815; Eliza Ann, born April 17, 1818; Charles A., whose birth occurred June 4, 1820; David V., born April 23, 1822; and Hudson, born May 1, 1825. Henry Bennett was born in the borough of Freehold, and received his only educational opportunities at a school three miles from his home. At the age of fifteen a serious accident disabled him and for eighteen months rendered physical exertion impossible. On his recovery he was apprenticed to the trade of a tailor, and pursued successfully for fifteen years the business of a merchant tailor, when, on the death of his father, in 1848, he inherited a portion of the estate. He at once began, and has continued until the present time, to improve the property by the erection of dwellings and the sale of lots for building purposes. Major Bennett in earlier years manifested an active interest in military affairs, and received from Governor Newell, in 1857, his commission as major of the Ocean and Monmouth Brigade. He was also appointed paymaster on the staff of Governor Parker. He rendered efficient aid in the recruiting service during the late war, and was only precluded from active service by his physical condition, which rendered the performance of military duty impossible. His political associations are Democratic, as were also those of his father. He has filled the office of town clerk for many years, and was for six years treasurer of the Monmouth County Agricultural Society, and the first secretary of the society, of which he was one of the originators, he is a director of the Freehold Gas Light Company and the Monmouth County Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Freehold, and was treasurer of the Freehold Loan Association from 1853 to l864. Major Bennett is a member of the Second Reformed Church of Freehold, in which he has been deacon, elder, and clerk of the consistory. He is a member of both the Masonic and Odd-Fellows' fraternities, and was for twenty-four years treasurer of the latter order.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman




C. C. BLAUVELT, M. D., was a member of the Monmouth Society, though only a short time in practice within the county. He was born at New Brunswick, August 20, 1806, and educated at Rutgers College, after which he went to Virginia as a school teacher, and while there studied medicine in the University at Charlottesville. Returning to New Jersey, he was licensed by the State Medical Society, and commenced practice at Holmdel, Monmouth County, where he married and remained for two years, during which time he became a member of the County Society. From Holmdel he removed to Hightstown, Mercer County, still retaining his connection with the Monmouth organization, of which he was elected vice-president in 1833, president in 1834 and treasurer for 1840. In or about 1854 he was elected president of the State Medical Society. He remained in practice in Hightstown until his death, March 28, 1855. Dr. Blauvelt was a man of fine personal appearance, being above the middle height, with a decidedly intellectual cast of face, and remarkably easy and gentlemanly in manner. His deportment in the sick-room was singularly happy, inspiring love, respect and confidence. A good conversationalist and writer, a natural and cultivated musician, of social and obliging disposition, and honorable as well as skillful in his profession, he could not fail to be, as he was, exceedingly popular as a physician and as a man. Few had more or warmer friends.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn - Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.]



AZARIAH CONOVER. - The Conover family so numerously represented in Monmouth County are all descended from Wolfhert Gerritsen VanCovenhoven, who emigrated from Utrecht, Holland, to America in 1630. In the direct line from one of his three sons, Garret by name, was Hendrick, great-grandfather of the subject of this biographical sketch. To his son, also Hendrick, who married a Miss Conover, were born children, - Garret H., Peter, Mary, Williampe, Jacob, and others who died in youth. Jacob, a native of Marlboro' township, resided within its limits during the greater part of his life, having married Eleanor daughter of Barnes B. and Lydia Longstreet Smock. Their children are Mary (Mrs. John I. Taylor), Henry H., Azariah and Lydia (Mrs. John L. Bennett). Azariah was born on the 14th of February, 1821, in Marlboro', then Freehold township, and in infancy became an inmate of the household of his uncle, Garret Van Dorn, of Middletown township, then residing on the property now owned by Mr. Conover. After a period of instruction at home, he became a pupil of the Lenox Academy, at Lenox, Mass., and later gave his attention to the cultivation of the farm, for several years superintending its varied interests. On the death of his uncle he purchased the land of the estate, and has since that time been actively engaged in farming of a general character, ranking among the successful agriculturists of the township. Mr. Conovor was, in 1846, married to Miss Emily P., daughter of Thomas Sherman, who resided in the vicinity of Long Branch. Their children are Charles E., of New York, married to Carrie, daughter of Peter Chanfrau, of Long Branch; Thomas (deceased) ; Williampe Van Dorn (Mrs. Samuel Rogers), of New York; and Jacob, who resides with his parents. Mr. Conover's political sympathies are with the Republican party, though he has never been an aspirant for any offices beyond those connected with the township, such as member of the township committee, township clerk and inspector of elections. He is a director of the Keyport and Middletown Turnpike Company and the Middletown and Red Bank Turnpike Company. He is also a member of the Monmouth County Agricultural Society, of which he was one of the organizers, and has been for years on the board of management. Mr. Conover's religious convictions are in harmony with the tenets of the Reformed Dutch Church, with which he and his family worship.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman



WILLIAM E. CONOVER. - Peter Conover was born February 16, 1726, and his wife, Anne, on the 30th of December, 1727. Their son, Lewis Conover, the grandfather of the subject of this biographical sketch, who was a resident of Shrewsbury, and later of Freehold township, was active during the Revolutionary War as bearer of dispatches to General Washington at the battle of Monmouth. He married a Miss Scott, whose children were Ebenezer, Joseph, Hannah (Mrs. Joseph Rue), Ellen (Mrs. David C. Perrine), Deborah (Mrs. James Patterson), Helena (Mrs. Jacob Pittenger) and Ann (Mrs. William Jackson). Ebenezer Conover, a native of Monmouth County, resided during his lifetime upon property now owned by his sons in Freehold township. He married Mary, daughter of Ockey Lefferson, whose children were four sons - William E., James S., Arthur L. and John B. - and four daughters - Sarah (Mrs. Nathan H. Jackson), Rachel (Mrs. A. Conrow), Jane (Mrs. Levi S. Sutphen) and Mary A. (Mrs. Aaron Sutphen). William E. Conover was born on the 14th of October, 1815, in the township of Freehold, and has been during his lifetime associated with the employment of a farmer. He received in youth a substantial education, and rendered invaluable assistance to his father in his routine of farming. In February, 1838, he was married to Charlotte C, daughter of Jacob Baker, of the present township of Manalapan. Their children are Charles H., of Flint, Mich.; Ebenezer, whose death was the result of an accident; Jacob B., of Manalapan township; James M., of Freehold township; Nathan J., a civil engineer; Mary J.; Elizabeth V., wife of John L. Maney, of Brooklyn; Anne; and Frances, wife of William Segoine. Mr. Conover having determined to follow the pursuit of agriculture, on his marriage purchased a portion of the homestead farm, made it his residence and still cultivates its productive acres. He has been, as a business man, enterprising and sagacious; as a citizen, public spirited and liberal. His politics have been and are in harmony with the principles of the Democracy, though aside from his connection with the township committee he has held no office. He is the leading spirit of the Freehold and Howell Turnpike Company, of which he is secretary, treasurer, and superintendent. Mr. Conover is in religion identified with the Reformed (Dutch) Church of Freehold, in which he has served both as elder and deacon.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman




WILLIAM S. CRAWFORD. Mr. Crawford who resides upon land which has been for many generations in the family, is descended from John Crawford, who emigrated from Scotland to America in 1672. His grandfather, John, married Caroline Field, of Middletown, whose children were William, John, James C., Andrew and Elnathan. James G., of this number, was born on the 29th of December, 1794, on the homestead, the lands of which he cultivated during his lifetime. He married Elizabeth, daughter of William Smith, of the same township, whose children are Caroline (Mrs. Holmes Conover), born in 1819; Ann (Mrs. Joseph H. Holmes), born in 1821; Mary, in 1824; William S.; John J., in 1829, married to Mary Frost; James G., in 1833; and Elizabeth, in 1837. William S. Crawford, the subject of this biographical sketch, was born November 15, 1826, on the homestead, and received his earliest instruction at the public school of the neighborhood, after which additional advantages were enjoyed at Matawan. His grandfather's death, in 1834, made him heir to a portion of the farm, the remainder being inherited on the death of his father, in 1883. He had, on the completion of his studies, become interested in its management, and subsequently assumed entire charge of the property. Mr. Crawford was, in 1867, married to Emeline L., daughter of John S. Stillwell, of Holmdel. His routine of duties has left little opportunity for active participation in affairs connected with the county and township, and, as a consequence, he has simply cast his ballot, - that of the Democracy, - and left the appointments to office to more ambitious citizens. In his religious preferences Mr. Crawford is a Baptist, and worships with the Baptist Church of Keyport.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn. - Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.]



JOHN S. DENISE. - Teunis Nyssen, the common ancestor of the Denise family in America, emigrated from Binninck, in the province of Utrecht, Holland, in 1638, and was a man of prominence both in his native and adopted countries. He married Phoebe Felix, of English parentage, and had twelve children, among whom was Dyouis, married, in 1707, to Elizabeth Polhemus, whose children were six in number. Their son Tunis, born in 1692, married, first, Helena Van Dyck, and second, Franciske Hendrickson. He subsequently removed from Long Island to Monmouth County. Among his children was Daniel Denise, father of John S. Denise, for more than forty years collector of Monmouth County, who was born in 1748, and married, in
1771, Jane Schenck, whose birth occurred in 1754. To this union were born ten children. By a second marriage, to Mary Stillwell, were born three children, John S. Denise, a son by the first marriage, was a native of Freehold, his birth having occurred September 30, 1796, on the homestead, which has been for a period of one hundred and seventy years, and is still, in possession of the family. His youth was uneventful, having been varied only by attendance at school and labor on the farm. He was, however, self-taught, and acquired from observation and intelligent reading in later life more knowledge than was derived from the study of books. He continued a valuable aid to his father in his farming enterprises until the death of the latter, when his son inherited a portion and purchased the remainder of the property. He resided in the township, and continued to be one of its most enterprising farmers, until 1859, when, having retired from active business, he made Freehold his residence.

He was, on the 3d of February, 1819, married to Catharine, daughter of William I. Thompson, of the same county, and had ten children, - Tunis, William T., Daniel S., Margaret
Ann, Sarah Jane (Mrs. Peter Jackson), John Henry, Rusha, Sidney C, David D. and Rusha (second), of whom but four survive. Mr. Denise, aside from his farming; interests, was largely engaged in real estate operations, in which he was remarkably successful. He was director of the First National Bank of Freehold, president and director of the Freehold and Colt's Neck Turnpike Company, director of the Freehold and Manalapan Turnpike Company, and actively identified with the material interests of both county and borough. He was a member of the Monmouth County Agricultural Society, and in hearty sympathy with its purpose and methods. Mr. Denise was, in his political views, an Old-Line Whig during the existence of that party, and joined the Republican ranks on the disruption of the former. He never aspired to office, and was not active as a politician, though serving as town commissioner until he declined further election. He enjoyed a reputation for strict integrity, and possessed a keen sense of justice. In his varied business transactions he neither sued others nor was himself a party to litigation. Mr. Denise was a member of the Second Reformed (Dutch) Church of Freehold, of which he was one of the founders, and in which he had been during a period of forty years an elder. His many acts of charity in connection with this church indicated his Christian faith, as exemplified in his works. Without ostentation and with great judgment he gave, witnessing the results of his liberality during his lifetime. Mr. and Mrs. Denise celebrated, on the 5th of February, the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage, and five years later their fiftyfifth anniversary of the same event. On these significant occasions many friends beside the immediate family circle tendered their congratulations to this aged couple, who enjoyed a married life of sixty years duration. The death of Mrs. Denise occurred on the 19th of April, 1879, and that of Mr. Denise on the 31st of December of the following year.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman

Notes

From KPerry, March 24, 2014

I noticed on your Monmouth County genealogy and history site at that John N Denise has the wrong information and I guess it was wrong in the book "History of Monmouth" Just wanted to clarify this info in case someone ever asks for information about this family

The history of Monmouth says that he married Elizabeth Polhemus and had 6 children with her but that is wrong. He had 7 children with Helena Cortelyou sometimes mentioned in the records as Helena Van Brunt because she was the widow Van Brunt but her maiden name was Cortelyou.

A family cousin from this part of the family had done extensive research on the Denyse / Denise line - also, the name changes are noted in the book "Register in Alphabetical Order the early settlers of Kings County Long Island NY" under DeNyse
Teunis Nyssen born 1615 is my ancestor --he married Phoebe SALES born 1626 (she was born in England (the clerk wrote Faelix when transcribing in error )
but she was the daughter of John Sales of England ------John Sales in New Amsterdam was known as Jan Celes. Teunis Nyssen and Phoebe Sales were married in 1640 in New Amsterdam (NY) - they had a number of children.
In 1654, they had twins : 1 Jan and 2 Nys ---in Dutch reformed records of New Amsterdam , baptized 12 april 1654
After the Dutch Colonies were taken over by the English, the English stopped the patronymic naming system --- before that, the children took the first name of their father and made it their last name Nyssen meant son of NYS.
3 of their sons changed their last names

Nys or Denys used the last name Denyse
His twin brother Jan is my ancestor . Jan changed his last name to Tunison initially and then took Van Middleswaert
Their other brother Cornelius born 1657 took surname Tunison. Jan and Cornelius moved to Somerset County NJ --they married Bogaert sisters

Denyse (aka Nys at baptism) used the name Denys Denyse
He first married 1st Elizabeth Polhemus in 1682 but didnt have any children with Elizabeth Polhemua because she died before 1685. She died young
Denys Denyse baptized 1654 , a widow , married 2nd Helena Cortelyou, widow Van Brunt on 12 april 1685 in Flatbush
Helena Cortelyou was the daughter of Jacques Cortelyou. All Denys Denyse's children were born 1686 and after and were the children of Denys Denyse bapt 1654 and Helena Cortelyou. Some of their descendants lived in Monmouth County NJ.







HORATIO ELY. - The Elys first settled in New England in the seventeenth century, a branch of which family emigrated to New Jersey and probably located in Mercer County. John Ely, the great-grandfather, purchased in the above county an extensive tract of land, upon which he placed his sons, seven in number. Joshua, who resided on a farm now included in both Monmouth and Mercer Counties, married Ann Chamberlain, whose children were sons, John J. and Joseph, and daughters, Rebecca (Mrs. Matthew Rue) and Phebe (Mrs. John McKnight). John J. Ely was born April 7, 1778, and died January 11, 1852. He married Achsah, daughter of William Mount, whose birth occurred February 2, 1780, and her death October 13, 1846. Their children are Ann, born in 1801; Joshua, in 1804; William M., in 1806; Rebecca M., in 1808; William M., in 1810 ; Horatio, March 26, 1812; Joseph, in 1814; John W., in 1818; Henry D., in 1820 ; Thomas C, in 1822; and Adaline, in 1825. Mr. Ely was an active and representative Whig in politics, having been twice elected sheriff of his county, and filled a term as member from his district to the State Legislature. He first located as a farmer in Freehold township, and later removed to Holmdel, where his death occurred. He enjoyed a distinguished reputation for integrity and elevated moral character. In his religious convictions he was a Baptist, and worshiped with that denomination during his lifetime. His son Horatio was born on the farm he now occupies, in the vicinity of which his earliest instruction was received, after which he became a pupil of the Lennox Academy, at Lennox, Mass. Choosing the life of an agriculturalist, he returned to the homestead, and for a series of years managed the farm for his father. On the 3d of December, 1834, he was married to Helena, daughter of William I. Conover, of Manalapan. Their children are Jane C, born in 1835 (Mrs. John H. Denise); Achsah, in 1837, deceased; John J., in 1839; Helen, in 1841 (Mrs. Luther R. Smith); Adaline, in 1843 (Mrs. Luther Smith), deceased; Anna R., in 1845 (Mrs. L. Abrahams); Horatio, Jr., deceased; Horatio, Jr., in 1849, deceased; William I., in 1851; Mary H., in 1853, deceased; Emma C, in 1855, deceased; Catherine E., in 1857, deceased; and Charles H., in 1859. Some years after his marriage Mr. Ely purchased the homestead farm, which he has since occupied and cultivated. His political sentiments have been always either strongly Whig or Republican. He was elected by his party sheriff of the county in 1837, and has occasionally filled offices in the township. He was formerly a director of the Freehold Banking Company, and now fills the same office in connection with the Monmouth County Fire Insurance Company. He for some years acted as trustee of the Peddle Institute, located at Hightstown, N. J., and was formerly president of the Freehold and Smithburg Turnpike Company. He is also a member of the Monmouth County Agricultural Society. A strong Baptist in his religious faith, he is a member of the Freehold Baptist Church, in which he fills the office of deacon.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman



JOSEPH FIELD. - Mr. Field is descended from English ancestry. The early members of the family resided on Long Island, from whence Elnathan, his grandfather, who died in his ninety-seventh year, removed to Monmouth County, where he purchased an extensive tract of land and became a farmer. He married Mary Willet, whose children were Thomas, Elnathan, Caroline, Mary and Huldah. Thomas was born on Long Island, and removed when a lad to Monmouth County, and spent his youth as a farmer in Middletown township. He married Rebecca, daughter of Captain Moses Shepherd, of the same township, to whom were born children, - Joseph, Thomas, Mary (wife of Daniel West), Caroline (married to James L. Wilson), and Rebecca (wife of Elnathan Field). Joseph was born on the 26th of September, 1792, on the homestead in Middletown, in the vicinity of which his life has been spent. Receiving such education as the district school afforded, he, when a youth, made himself useful on the farm, and later purchased the land on which he now resides, the original tract embracing one hundred and fifty acres, to which he has at various times added until it now embraces four hundred acres of arable land, which is devoted to general farming. Mr. Field has found it advantageous to let the farm, as the infirmities of age rendered labor difficult, and now assumes no responsibility in connection with its management. He was, in 1867, married to Miss Uretta, daughter of John Hedden. Their children are Joseph, Uretta and Rebecca. Mr. Field, while a former Whig and now a Republican in politics, is not strongly partisan, and votes for men of integrity and ability, irrespective of party, always, however, declining official position. He is a director of the Middletown and Red Bank Turnpike Company and identified with other township interests. Though liberal towards all religious denominations, he inclines towards the Baptist faith.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman



JOHN HALL, the father of Mrs. William V. Ward, was for several years a resident of Freehold village, having previously spent more than sixty years in business in Howell township. His father was Samuel Hall, who, with his brothers Jesse and Jacob, came from England to America before the Revolution. Jesse migrated South, Jacob located in New York and Samuel settled at Kingwood, N. J. His wife was Ruhama Everitt, and they became the parents of twelve children. The youngest son, John, was born at Kingwood in 1786. At the age of nineteen years he removed to Howell township, Monmouth County, where he commenced a general merchandising business, as also that of tanning and currying leather. After about twenty years he discontinued the leather business, but remained actively and successfully engaged in the mercantile pursuit for more than forty years from the time of his commencement.

In 1825, Mr. Hall was married to Rebecca Knott, daughter of Joseph and Catharine Knott, of Shark River. Their children were Catharine K. (Mrs. William V. Ward, of Freehold), Ruhama (Mrs. Stoutenburgh, of New York), Eliza Ann (deceased) and Dr. Charles E. Hall (now of Freehold.) In 1867, Mr. and Mrs. John Hall removed from Howell to Freehold, where they passed the remainder of their lives. She died in March, 1878; he in November, 1881.

The only public office ever held by Mr. Hall was that of township collector of Howell, which position he filled for more than thirty years, and until he positively declined serving longer. He was no politician, yet a stanch Democrat in principle and practice, having annually voted that ticket, continuously and without an omission, for seventy-two years. He was an attendant and supporter of the Presbyterian Church, of which his wife was an active and consistent member.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman



OBADIAH C. HERBERT. -- The ancestry of the Herbert family having been already given elsewhere in this volume renders repetition here unnecessary. The subject of this biographical sketch is the son of Conover Herbert, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Major David Provost, of Monmouth County. The children of this marriage are Obadiah; Cornelia, wife of William H. Heyer; David P., deceased; Eleanor G., deceased; Mary Louisa; William H., deceased; John W., deceased; Evelina E., deceased; and William C, married to Louisa Applegate. Obadiah C. was born on the 12th of October, 1834, at Matawan, Monmouth County, where he remained until his twelfth year, subsequently residing for four years with his uncle. Judge J. W. Herbert, in Marlborough township. His education was received in Marlborough and at Matawan, and later at the Madison University, at Hamilton, N. Y., from whence he was called home by the illness of his father, whose death occurred in 1858. He assumed direction of the farm, and in 1859 became, by inheritance and purchase, the owner of the paternal home, which is his present residence. He was, in 1857, married to Mary A., daughter of John Buck, of Freehold, their children being Ralph Willis, a practicing physician at Manasquan; Dora E., wife of Dr. Charles N. Cox; Frank C.; George B.; Evan M.; Carrie O.; and Harvey C., deceased. Mr. Herbert has, since his marriage, been engaged in farming, though various business interests requiring close attention have influenced him to place the cultivation and improvement of his lands in the hands of his sons. On his farm are extensive and valuable marl-pits, which have brought their owner into prominent notice as the most extensive dealer in this remarkable fertilizing product in the State. (A comprehensive description of the marl-beds of the county will be found in the chapter on the geological formation of the county.) The whole of Mr. Herbert's farm is under-laid with marl, about twelve acres of which have thus far been profitably worked, the supply being practically unlimited. The market is chiefly found in adjacent portions of the State, the Freehold and New York Railroad, which runs over the land, affording superior facilities for shipment. Mr. Herbert was the projector and has been the 1eading spirit in the development of Marlborough, the village in which he resides. He purchased the ground, which was laid out in lots, buildings erected, and manifested a spirit of energy and determination which insured its rapid development and growth. He still continues these improvements, and has recently devoted much attention to real estate operations and the purchase and sale of property in this and other localities. Mr. Herbert is a member, and was formerly an officer, of the Monmouth County Agricultural Society. He is a Republican in politics, and although at times the incumbent of various township offices, has frequently declined such honors. He has, however, been more largely identified with religious work, and was an active member of the building committee in the erection of the edifice of the First Baptist Church of Marlborough, of which he is both deacon and trustee, and has been, since its organization, superintendent of the Sabbath school.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman



CHARLES J. HENDRICKSON. - The great-grandfather of Mr. Hendrickson, was John Hendrickson, whose son Daniel was born in 1735, and married Nellie Van Mater, who was born in August 4, 1735. Their children were Anna, born February 14, 1761, married to Charles Dubois; Cyrenius, born May 3, 1766; and John, born June 13, 1773. John resided upon the homestead, which is still in the family, having married Mary Lloyd, daughter of John Lloyd. She was born October 17, 1772. Their children were Eleanor, Daniel, John Lloyd and Charles J., the subject of this biographical sketch. He was born November 12, 1805, in the house which has for years been associated with the history of the family. At the age of twelve years he was sent to New Brunswick, N. J., and enjoyed the advantages of a thorough English education, from whence he removed to New York, and began a mercantile career as clerk, acting for three years in that capacity. Mr. Hendrickson was, in 1826, married to Julia Ann, daughter of Rev. John Schureman, D.D., professor in the Theological Seminary at New Brunswick, and granddaughter of Colonel Elias Conover. Their children are Julia (deceased), Mary Matilda, John Schureman, Lousia (deceased), Mrs. Edward M. Hartshorne and Ella. Mr. Hendrickson, on his marriage, removed to the farm inherited from his grandfather, which is his present residence. Finding active business more congenial to his tastes, he, in December, 1837, made Philadelphia his residence, and for twenty years pursued a mercantile life, after which he retired to his farm in Middletown.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman



PETER D. HULST. -- The subject of this sketch was born at Bushwick, Kings County, N. Y., June 1, 1804, and died at Keyport, N. J., June 8, 1884. He was the eldest of eleven children, all of whom lived to mature age. The first break in the family was made by the death of the youngest daughter, who had married and become the mother of three children.

At an early period the ancestors of Mr. Hulst emigrated from Holland and settled in the town of Bushwick, N.Y. There his father, Anthony, was born, also his grandfather, John, and his great-grandfather, Anthony. His mother (Sarah Meserole), his grandmother (Deborah Blake) and his great-grandmother (Letty Van Dyne) were well connected, having descended from prominent individuals in their respective family lines.


Mr. Hulst was by choice, profession and practice a farmer. At Bushwick and Dutch Kills, where he resided at different times and followed his chosen occupation, he was quite famous. The old neighbors still speak of the remarkable farming operations, which called for toilsome days and sleepless nights, producing grand crops and yielding plenty of cash.

He never slighted, never neglected business, -- never put off until tomorrow the thing that could be done today. Under his skillful and diligent management the abundant productions of the field kept the wheels of his market-wagon revolving. The writer has frequently heard him remark that, excepting the holidays and the Sabbath, he never allowed a day to pass without contributing a load of stuff to supply the demands of Washington Market. In attestation of these facts he received scores of prizes, in the shape of silver cups, medals and cash, from the American Institute and County Agricultural Societies, for the best stock, finest fruit and various productions of the field. Indeed, each year brought its new crops, and every new set of crops a harvest of prizes to reward the industrious, hard-handed, open-hearted, indefatigable farmer.

But this was not to continue always. Mr. Hulst and his prudent and industrious lady, having accumulated more than a competency, sold their beautiful and valuable establishment at Dutch Kills, and retired for repose to Keyport, N. J., in the fall of 1867, having already purchased the fine homestead of the late Captain T. V. Arrowsmith. The premises, however, were not altogether to his liking, and the man of leisure found new occupation in meeting the demands of this new situation. The buildings were accordingly renovated, fences repaired, walks re-laid and the grounds in every way enlarged and improved.

Mr. Hulst never aspired to any official positions. He could never be induced to take any political office for the remuneration there might be in it. But whenever any such office as that of town commissioner was thrust upon him, which happened again and again, he always served without pay, and conducted the affairs of the office as he did the affairs of the farm, -- gave them his personal undivided attention.

In generosity he was also notable. The fresh vegetables and delicious fruits of his extensive gardens attested his bounty to scores and scores of neighbors. He never sold anything from the productions of his gardens. All that was not required to supply his own board was freely given away; and the same free-hearted spirit was extended to the Reformed Church, which he constantly and regularly attended. No man there, in congregation or among the members, ever surpassed Mr. Hulst in the matter of liberality.

He was married, in March, 1833, to Hannah, daughter of Cornelius Vaneott, at Green Point, Kings County, N. Y., by whom he had four children; but none of them survive him.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman




JOHN S. LONGSTREET - The progenitor in America of the Longstreet family was Dirck Stoffelse Langestraat, who was twice married. He had four sons, - Stoffle, Adrian, Richard and Samuel - and one daughter, Classje. Adrian, of this number, was baptized in 1677, and died in 1728. He married, in 1707, Christina Janse, and had children, - John, Derick, Stoffle, Katrenske, Neeltje, Winnifred , Maria and Aarianche. From one of these sons is descended the grandfather of John S. Longstreet, who married Williampe Hendrickson, and had a son, John, who was united in marriage to Elizabeth Stoutenburgh. Their children were Hendrick, John S., Catherine, Anna (Mrs. John S. Crocheron), Williampe (Mrs. Henry Stoutenburgh), Mary J. (Mrs. O. I. Stillwell), William, Caroline L., Aaron, Elizabeth (Mrs. Thomas Ely) and one who died in youth. John S. Longstreet was born December 5, 1815, on the homestead at Holmdel, where his early opportunities for instruction were obtained, after which additional advantages were enjoyed in Massachusetts. Determining to make farming the business of his life, he at once entered upon the various responsibilities incident to the cultivation of the home farm. He was, on the 19th of October, 1843, married to Eleanor, daughter of Garret D. and Jane Hendrickson, of Marlborough. Mrs. Longstreet's death occurred February 28, 1844, and he was again married, June 26, 1849, to Sarah S. Hendrickson, sister of his first wife, whose children are Eleanor H., Jane A. (Mrs. William T. Hendrickson), Elizabeth (Mrs. John S. Hendrickson), Hattie H. and Garret. Mr. Longstreet, on his marriage, became by purchase the owner of a portion of the homestead, on which his family still resides. Here he was, during his lifetime, interested in the varied pursuits of an agriculturist, though precluded by feeble health from an active career. His political sentiments were strongly in favor of Democratic government, though not in any sense a politician nor an office-seeker. In matters of business his opinion was deferred to and his services often sought as guardian, executor and counselor. He was identified with the Holmdel and Keyport Turnpike Company as its president. Mr. Longstreet was a man of kindly nature, affectionate and tender in his home relations, charitable to the needy, and liberal in his support of the church and all projects tending to advance the cause of morality. His death occurred December 1, 1884, and his burial on his sixty-ninth birthday. His son Garret now cultivates the farm.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn. - Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.]


MARKS, Joseph A., sporting goods; born, Red Bank, N.J., (Monmouth Co) Dec. 24, 1858; son of William L. and Ann M. (Lufburrow) Marks; educated in public schools of Red Bank; widower. Came to Detroit, 1879, and began active career as clerk for DuCharme, Fletcher & Co., hardware; was next connected with Limbauch & Weber, hardware, T.B. Rayl & Co., J.A. Marks & Co., and then with Hodson, Howard & Co.; firm became Hodson, Howard & Marks, and after death of Mr. Hodson, acquired full ownership as Joseph A. Marks & Co. Republican. member Masonic order (32o), Knights Templar, Shrine; B.P.O.E. Recreations: All outdoor sports. Office: 93 Woodward Av. Residence: 264 Hancock Av., W.

[Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, Copyright, 1908 - Contributed by Christine Walters]



HENRY WILLIAM PARKER is the grandson of William Parker, who spent his life as a farmer in Freehold township. He married Sarah Shepherd, whose children were Jesse, Lewis, Hannah, Edmund, Thomas, Robert, Lydia, James, William and John, all of whom, with the exception of Edmund and Jesse, emigrated with their mother to the West, and became prosperous citizens. Edmund was born in 1806 in Freehold township, where he continued the employment of his father, having married Sarah, daughter of John T. Smith, of Manalapan township. Their children are John S., Henry William, James S., Alfred M., John S., Rebecca Ann, Mary Elizabeth and Thomas, of whom James S. and Henry William are the only survivors. The latter was born on the 28th of August, 1836, in Freehold township, where he has, during his lifetime, been associated with the employment of a farmer. His youth was varied by labor and attendance at the public schools of the township, after which his energies were devoted to the cultivation of the homestead, which his brother eventually inherited, and the subject of this biography purchased a farm opposite and in the same township. He was, on the 8th of October, 1867, married to Mary E., daughter of James A. Reid, of Manalapan township. Their children are Sarah S., Lydia R., James A., John R., Clarence H., Cornelius B. and Nellie W. Mr. Parker, though interested, is not active in the field of politics. He has, however, held various township offices, including that of trustee of schools. His warm interest in the cause of education prompted him to great activity in the purchase and reorganization of the Young Ladies' Seminary of Freehold, of which institution he is one of the trustees and a liberal supporter. He was formerly connected with, but has now resigned the position of director of the Freehold National Bank. Mr. Parker was a trustee and is still a cheerful and liberal contributor to the support of the Presbyterian Church of Freehold, where his family worships.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman



SOUTHWICK, JOSEPH K. was born in Monmouth County, New Jersey, on the 12th of May, 1832. For a time he was engaged in running a saw-mill, and in 1848, moved to Indiana where he spent six years, then returned to his native place. On the 10th of February, 1856, he was joined in marriage with Miss Susan Williams. They have had nine children, seven of whom are living. In 1869, he came west to Minnesota and purchased his farm which has since been his home. He is one of the school Directors in district No. 90.

(Source: History of Rice County, Minnesota; Published by Minnesota Historical Company, Minneapolis, Minn. 1882 - Contributed by Veneta McKinney)



JOHN S. SPROUL. -- James Sproul, of Scotch descent, served as ensign in the American Revolutionary army, and was killed in a skirmish at Short Hills, in this State, previous to which he was married to Zilpha McChesney, and they had two children, -- Oliver and Elisebeth. Oliver was born October 10, 1776, was married to Rachel Dorsett in 1797, died June 3, 1859; they had seven children, viz., Alice, James, John, Joseph, Jonathan, Samuel, and Samuel (2d).

John Sproul, of this family, was born in Middletown township, Monmouth County, April 15, 1803, and later removed to Keyport, where he was one of the earliest settlers of that locality, and among the original purchasers of the Kearney estate, upon which the village of Keyport is located. By trade a builder, he latterly devoted his attention to farming. He died in October, 1851. His wife was Sarah Ann, daughter of John Stout. Their children were Edgar, John S., Martha (deceased), Alice (deceased), Sarah S. (Mrs. Stephen Arrowsmith) and Susan (deceased).

John S. Sproul was born on the 7th of June, 1835, in Keyport, where he has since that date resided. He received a thorough academic education, and on the completion of his studies at once engaged in active business as a builder and operator in real estate. He has, at various times, erected stores and dwellings and a spacious hotel known as the Mansion House, though much of his time is devoted to other matters, including the livery business. He was, in 1874, married to Alma A., daughter of William Matthews, of Keyport. The children of this marriage are John, Jr., Paul W. (deceased) and Mark P. Mr. Sproul is associated with the fraternity of Masons as a member of Caesarea Lodge, No. 64, and of Delta Chapter, No. 14, of that order, situated at Keyport. In his political belief he is a declared Republican and very active in the promotion of the interests of his party and its success. He has served as freeholder and been frequently nominated for minor township offices. In 1873 and 1874, Mr. Sproul was elected to the State Legislature, and served at this time on committees on railroad and canals, State prisons and reform schools and on commerce and navigation. Though still wielding an extended political influence, he has devoted much of his time to the management of his own interests and been indifferent to the rewards of party service.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman



Richard Stout
STOUT - Richard Stout was one of the twelve men named in the Monmouth Patent. Under Grants and Concessions, his name heads the list of claimants as recorded in Surveyor General's office at Perth Amboy. In the allotment of Town lots at Middletown, recorded Dec. 3t)th, 1007, Richard Stout was given town lot number six and also outlots, and his son John town lot number nineteen and also outlots. At this time Richard Stout was appointed to assist in laying out the lots. In 1669, he was one of the so-called overseers for Middletown. Richard Stout was prominent in public affairs in the new settlement and his name frequently mentioned in Freehold records. In 1690, Richard Stout and w. Penelope conveyed to Benjamin Stout all the tract and plantation whereon they then lived at Hop River, after decease of himself and w. Penelope. The will of Richard Stout, first of the family, is filed in Secretary of State's office at Trenton. It is dated June 9th, 1703, and was proved Oct. 1705. Jan. 25th, 1664, Richard Stout, John Bowne, John Tilton, Jr., James Hubbard, William Goulding and Samuel Spicer, all of Gravesend, made the first purchase of land in what is now Moumouth, of the Indians. The land was bought of Popomora, the Indian Sachem, who was called "Chief of the Indians." John Stout, son of Richard and Penelope was m. Jan. 12th, 1671. The above gives the legal year which began March 25th. By our calendar year the marriage took place January 12th, 1672. The tradition among the Stouts of Ocean county, states that John's son Richard the Squan Richard had a son Benjamin, who m. Mary Johnson, and they in turn had a son Benjamin, who was the well remembered Capt. Benjamin Stout, who lived on the old Thomas Potter place at Goodluck. Capt. Benjamin Stout d. Feb. 13, 1850, aged over 69 years, and his w Sarah d. April 23, 1866, aged over 82 years. They had children Joseph, Benjamin, Daniel, James, John, and daus. Garret Stout, the well known hotel keeper of Cedar Creek, b. 1802, was a son of Abraham and grandson of another Abraham Stout. Mr. West says that Jonathan, son of the second Richard, had a son Richard and several other children, and Jonathan's son Tombrook was an officer in the Revolution and saw much service. The Stout families of Ocean county are descended from John Stout, a gentleman of Nottinghamshire, England, whose son Richard came to New York where he m. about the year 1622, a Dutch widow whose maiden name was Penelope Vanprinces. They had seven sons and three daus. The most prominent of the founders of the settlements in Monmouth was Richiud Stout. At the present day there are many thousand people in New Jersey and in other States, who can claim him as an ancestor. It is known to but few of these that his will is still preserved and in good condition in the office of the Secretary of State, at Trenton; so it is one of the most interesting unpublished papers relating to the history of the family. Daniel Stout was the well remembered Esquire Daniel, of Goodluck. He and w. Anna had ten children, one son and nine daus. A noted descendant of Richard Stout was Elihu Stout, who, about 1804, was induced by Gen. William Henry Harrison, afterwards President, to settle at Vincennes, Indiana. He founded the " Western Sun" newspaper, July 4,1804, the pioneer newspaper within the territory now embraced by the State of Indiana. He continued its publication under difficulties until Nov., 1845, for many years after its first publication transporting his materials on pack horses from Lexington, Ky. He d. at Vincenues in April, I860, and was laid to rest in the public cemetery, "leaving behind no evidence of any necessity for taking an inventory of his estate."[
A History of Monmouth and Ocean Counties by Edwin Salter, 1890 - Transcribed by AFOFG]


WILLIAM STATESIR is of Holland descent, his grandfather, Isaac Statesir, having been a farmer in Shrewsbury township, Monmouth County, N.J. He had children - John, Isaac and a daughter, who became Mrs. Simon Duryea. The birth of John, who served in the Revolutionary army, occurred January 24, 1760, in Shrewsbury township, where his life was spent. He married, February 16, 1783, Agnes, daughter of John Aumack, of Freehold township, whose children were Mary, Lena, Elizabeth, Arintha, Jane, Isaac, John, Tunis and William, of whom Elizabeth died in her ninety-eighth year, and William is the only survivor. John Statesir died October 13, 1825, and his wife October 1, 1836. William was born on the 25th of January, 1806, in Shrewsbury, now Atlantic township, and remained during his youth at Colt's Neck, in the latter township, where his father was engaged in the business of a tanner. After such advantages of education as were obtainable at the common schools, he entered the tannery and became familiar with the business. Desiring a less circumscribed field of action, he studied surveying, which for several years engaged his attention in the vicinity of his home. He was, April 20, 1836, married to Sarah Ann, daughter of John Conover, of Freehold, now Marlboro township, whose children are John Henry (deceased), David Abeel, Agnes and Alpheus. Mrs. Statesir died December 6, 1851, and he was a second time married, in January, 1855, to Cornelia Ann, daughter of Arthur Van Derveer, of Atlantic township, whose only child, Eliza R., born November 17, 1855, died on her twenty-fifth birthday. Mr. Statesir, the year following his first marriage, removed to a farm in Marlboro township, and remained until the spring of 1864. On the organization of the Freehold Banking Company he was elected a director, and in 1864 was made its president, which influenced his removal the same year to Freehold. He has, since that date, made that town his residence, and still retains his official connection with the bank. His fidelity to important trusts has caused him frequently to be chosen as administrator and guardian. He has in politics always been identified either with the Whig or Republican party, but has filled no political office. Mr. Statesir was formerly a member of the First Reformed Church of Freehold, and now holds his membership with the Second Reformed Church of that place, having officiated as elder in both. He has for twenty years been the treasurer of the Monmouth County Bible Society, and is among the most active citizens of the county in the promotion of all philanthropic and Christian projects.
[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn. - Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.]



JOSEPH I. THOMPSON, is the grandson of Joseph Thompson, a farmer on an extensive scale in Freehold township, who married Sarah Conover. Among their children was John I., born in 1776, who married Margaret Walton, born in 1780, daughter of Elisha Walton, of Revolutionary fame. Their children were William, Emeline, Joseph I., Elisha, Mary Matilda (Mrs. John Little), Sally and Ann (Mrs. Uriah Smalley). Joseph I., the second son, was born on the 24th of February, 1811, at Mount's Corners, near Freehold, where in youth he received such educational advantages as the district school afforded. He chose the blacksmith's trade, and became an apprentice in Middletown township, afterwards conducting his trade at Black's Mills, Manalapan township. In 1844 he received the appointment of attendant of the light-house at the Highlands of Navesink, and remained for five years thus occupied, building at this point the favorite resort known as Thompson's Atlantic Pavilion. Desiring to become interested in agriculture, he, in 1867, repurchased his present farm of one hundred and twenty-five acres, in Middletown township, and has since been absorbed in its cultivation. He was, on the 28th of December, 1834, married to Eleanor Schureman Johnson, granddaughter of Cornelius Johnson, and daughter of Dr. Cornelius Johnson, a graduate of Princeton and of the leading Philadelphia medical college of his day, whose only son, James Schureman, was a graduate of Rutgers College, New Brunswick. Mrs. Thompson is the maternal granddaughter of James and Eleanor Schureman. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson are John I.; Eleanor J., wife of Eugene W. Benton; Cornelius J.; and Margaret M. (Mrs. John N. Riker).
Mr. Thompson has always been identified in politics with the Democratic party. His popularity in the county led to his election, in 1859, to the office of sheriff, though aside from this distinction he has declined all proffers of official position. He was formerly director of the Sandy Hook and Long Branch Railroad, and interested in other business projects, though his time is principally given to his farm and hotel enterprises. He is a contributor to the support of the Middletown Reformed (Dutch) Church, of which Mrs. Thompson is a member.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn. - Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.]



WILLIAM VAUGHN WARD, who for more than twenty years was a prominent merchant of Freehold, and a well-known and public-spirited citizen, was a great-grandson of Michael Ward, who, as early as 1731, had settled and was living at Hightstown, N. J., he being one of three brothers who had come to America together prior to that time.

Benjamin, son of Michael and Hannah Ward, was born February 7, 1731-32, and died June 20, 1797. His wife, Lydia Cheeseman, was born December 18, 1742, and died November 13, 1794. They had three sons and four daughters. Their third son, On Ward, father of the subject of this biographical sketch, was born May 13, 1768. His wife was Rebekah Vaughn.

William V. Ward, son of On and Rebekah (Vaughn) Ward, was born October 10, 1816, he being the youngest of a family of six children, all of whom except himself lived and died in Mercer County. He removed to Howell township, Monmouth County, where, in 1841, he commenced a mercantile business at Lower Squankum, in partnership with Abraham G. Neafie, ex-sheriff of Monmouth County. In 1844 the business was closed by reason of financial difficulties. He then entered the employ of his father-in-law, John Hall, where he remained for some time. The closing of the business at Lower Squankum had left Mr. Ward almost wholly without means, but his credit enabled him to recommence business, which he did, removing to Freehold, and there opening a store of ready-made clothing, which was the first in that line ever opened in the town. The business proved very successful, and was continued by him for twenty-two years, until the time of his death. Mr. Ward was married, September 5, 1843, to Catharine K. Hall, daughter of John and Rebecca (Knott) Hall. Their children were John H., George D. (deceased), Charles E. (deceased), Elizabeth H., Everitt, George F. and Harry (deceased). Mr. Ward died at Long Branch, July 27, 1866. His widow still resides at Freehold. Of the surviving children, John H. and Everitt Ward are merchants in New York, the former being unmarried; Elizabeth (Mrs. Mount) lives in Freehold; George F. Ward is in the real estate and insurance business in Freehold.

Mr. Ward was reared in the Baptist faith, but after his marriage he became, and continued to be, an attendant and supporter of the Presbyterian Church, of which his wife was, and now is, a member. He was a stanch Democrat and a politician, though never a scheming one. He was twice elected a member of the Legislature, serving in the years 1860 to 1862. He was appointed State Prison inspector by Governor William A. Newell in 1858, and served in that office till 1866, under the administration of Governors Newell, Olden and Parker, performing its duties in a manner creditable to himself and advantageous to the State.

[The History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, published 1885 by R. T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Penn.]
Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman


WOOLLEY, George Henry; born in Monmouth Co., N. J., Jan. 30, 1861 son of Montillion Wood and Lydia (Emery) Woolley; educated in public schools of New Jersey; married, Long Branch, N.J., 1881, Anna Adaline Sherman. Began active career as clerk in general store of Steinbach Bros., Long Branch, N. J., becoming manager of a branch store of the firm; became clerk and bookkeeper at Hotel Bristol, New York City, 1886, and in 1889, steward of the Hotel Iroquois, Buffalo, and later manager of the hotel; has been one of the managers of Hotel Pontchartrain, Detroit, since Oct., 1907, and is vice president Pontchartrain Hotel Co. Republican. Methodist. Member Chamber of Commerce, Buffalo. Mason (33')- Clubs: Ellicott and Buffalo (both of Buffalo, N. Y.). Office: Hotel Pontchartrain. Residence: 842 Cass AV.

[Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, Copyright, 1908 - Contributed by Christine Walters]







HOME
©Genealogy Trails