Among the wealthy and influential farmers of Passaic township, Morris county, New Jersey, is found the gentleman to a review of whose life we now invite attention. Abram B. Bockoven.
Mr. Bockoven is a descendant of George Bockoven, who came from Germany, his native land to this country at an early day and settled in Morris township, Morris county, New Jersey, where he married and reared a family that took first place among the most prominent and active citizens of the county. His children, in order of birth, were George, Lizzie, Abram, Phoebe, John and Polly. Of these, George was the father of our subject. George Bockoven married for his first wife Miss Mary Smith and located near the old Bockoven homestead, on the Morristown road. This union resulted in the birth of four children, Amos, John, Anna and James. Some time after the death of their mother he wedded Miss Margaret Smith, who bore him twelve children, viz.: Mary, Nancy, Phoebe, George and Margaret, twins, Abram B. and Lemuel, twins, Gestus, Sarah, Gertrude Smith, Jane and Adelia. Of this large progeny only two are now living. Mrs. Jane Irving, wife of Peter Irving of Morristown, New Jersey, and Abram B., whose name graces this article. The mother of the last named children died some years ago, and the father passed away in 1874, at the age of eighty-eight years.
Abram B. Bockoven dates his birth April 15, 1822. He grew up on his father s farm and received his education in the common schools of that day and place, and had nothing unusual to mark his boyhood as different from that of other farmer boys. When he attained manhood he engaged in the occupation in which his father and grandfather before him had passed their lives, and as a farmer he has met with a fair degree of success, maintaining a position as one of the leading and influential agriculturists of his locality. He has been the architect of his own fortune, and has been a man of vigorous constitution. He recalls with satisfaction that in his prime he could cut in a day nine hundred sheaves of rye with his cradle, - a task that would baffle the average farmer of later years.
Mr. Bockoven was married in 1843 to Miss Nancy DeCoster, daughter of Joseph and Catherine (Rickey) DeCoster, the Decosters, having long resided in this part of the state. Joseph DeCoster came to New Jersey from Santa Cruz. He died in Summit county, New Jersey, in 1864, at the age of seventy years, and his wife died in 1866, at the age of sixty-six. Their eight children were as follows: Mary E., Nancy, John, Samuel, William, Cornelius, Sarah and Margaret. All are living except John and William, and Sarah who became the wife of John J. Allen of Basking Ridge and who died in1898. All the family are residents of New Jersey. Mrs. Bockoven was born February 21, 1823, and became the mother of four children, namely: Joseph, a farmer, born August 21, 1843, married Miss Phoebe Mills, and has one son, George, born August 4, 1878; Lemuel born October 22, 1844, died at the age of three years; Sarah J., who married Charles Pruden, a farmer of Mendham township, has four children, Oscar, John Lottie and Louise; and George, born January 19, 1854, is unmarried and resides at the old homestead, where he is engaged in farming.
Both father and sons are Democractic in the political faith and are active in their support of public enterprises. Religiously, the family are Presbyterians, identified with the church of this denomination at Basking Ridge. (Biographical & Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 431-434. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
One of the reliable business men of Morristown, engaged in contracting and building, was born in Morris county, on the 2nd of August 1861, a son of David A and Jane E. (Chapman) Burr. Tradition says that the Burr family originated in Germany and was founded in America at an early day. The father of our subject was born in Morris county, in 1812, and was a son of David Burr, a native of Chester County, Pennsylvania. David A. Burr was a blacksmith by trade and one of the worthy citizens of the community, honorable in his dealings and faithful to his duties in all the relations of life.
He served in the Union army during the Civil war, enlisting in 1861, in the Twenty-seventh Regiment of New Jersey Volunteers, and re-enlisting in 1862, as a member of the Thirty-third New Jersey Infantry, serving with that command until the close of the war. His death occurred at the age of sixty-three years, and his wife, who was a daughter of John and Nancy (Cole) Chapman, passed away in 1876. They were the parents of seven children: James A., of Chester, New Jersey, Joseph E., of Succasunna; George B., of Dover, Charles Y., of Baker City, Oregon; Jennie, wife of William A. Daly of Los Angeles, California; Fannie C., wife of Theodore P. Wagner, of Portland, Oregon and John R.
The last named spent his youth in the country until seventeen years of age and then began learning the carpenter s trade with his brother, in Chester, New Jersey. For six years he remained at that place and then removed to Rockaway, New Jersey, where he continued to make his home until 1881, since which time he has been a resident of Morristown. Here he engaged in business as a journeyman for three years, then began contracting and building on his own account, and subsequently became a member of the firm of Reeve & Burr. These gentlemen enjoy a liberal share of the public patronage in their line, for their excellent workmanship, their promptness and their fidelity to the terms of a contract have secured them an excellent business which is constantly increasing in importance and volume. Many of the substantial structures of the city stand as monuments to their thrift, skill and handiwork.
Mr. Burr was married in Somerville, New Jersey, on the 3rd day of June, 1882, the lady of his choice being Miss Sallie O. Steele, daughter of Cornelius and Lydia A. (Bird) Steele. Their children are David A., Lydia A. and George F.
Mr. Burr has been a member of the board of fire wardens of Morristown for seven years and is a citizen who manifests a deep and active interest in all that pertains to the welfare of the community. He is a popular member of the Masonic fraternity, affiliating with Cincinnati Lodge No. 3, at Morristown, and is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is a man of earnest purpose, upright principles and indefatigable energy, true to his duties in all the relations of life. (Biographical & Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 442-443. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
EDDY, William J.; born, Port Oram, N. J., (Was Morris Co 1868) June 16, 1872; son of James and Mary (Penluna) Eddy; graduate Ferris Institute, Big Rapids, Mich.; holds teachers' state life certificate diploma; married at Saginaw, Mich., Aug. 20, 1902, Miss Jean B. Claxton. At 12 years of age began working on farm, studying common and high school branches without a teacher, evenings, and began teaching school at 19; was principal Gagetown (Mich.) schools 4 years, and superintendent schools, Croswell, 4 years; entered real estate business at Croswell, Mich., 1905; removed to Detroit, 1906; treasurer Real Estate Trust Co. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason; member Maccabees. Recreation: Study of languages. Office: 1014 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: 69 Ash St.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, Copyright, 1908 - Contributed by Christine Walters]
A prominent plumber of Chatham, Mr. Hall is a native of Morris county, his birth having occurred a short distance from Morristown, on the 7th of December, 1855, his parents being Stephen G. and Sarah A. (Lish) Hall, both of whom were likewise born in Morris county. The grandfather, James Hall, was born in Orange county, New York, where he followed the vocation of a farmer until the early part of the nineteenth century, when he moved to Morris county and here resided until his death, at an advanced age, in 1878. He was of Dutch ancestry. He married Miss Elizabeth Arnold, also a native of Orange county, New York, and two children were born to them, namely; Stephen and William, the latter of whom is living in Hunterdon county, New Jersey. Stephen learned the carpenter trade and followed the same successfully at Morristown and vicinity during his life. He died in 1874, survived by his wife and the following children: James S., George E., Carrie L., Emma J., Laura A., and Etta.
George E. Hall was reared under the parental roof and received his literary education in the public schools of Morristown, after leaving which he came to Madison and served an apprenticeship in the plumbing trade. In 1890 he located at Chatham, where he opened a hardware and crockery store, in connection with a plumbing department.
In his social relations Mr. Hall is a popular member of the Junior Order of American Mechanics and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, both of Chatham. Politically, he is a firm advocate of the principles and policies of the Republican party. He is an honorable, conscientious and industrious gentleman and richly deserves the high esteem and consideration in which he is held by his fellow men.
The marriage of Mr. Hall was solemnized in 1883, when he was united to Miss Emma Adeline Pierson, a native of
Chatham and a daughter of Henry W. and Melissa (Ward) Pierson, representing one of the old families of Morris county,
of which mention is made in another part of this work. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hall, namely:
James E., Russell B., Nelson A., and Carrie L. (Biographical & Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey,
Volume II, Pages 440-442. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
Dr. Howley, a successful medical practitioner of Morristown, was born in the city of Greenock, Scotland, June 15, 1871. His early mental training was acquired in the parochial schools of his native place, and he came to America at the age of fourteen years with his parents, James and Ellen (Maxwell) Howley. His father was born near the town of Sligo, in the county of Sligo, Ireland, and his mother was a native of the city of Greenock, Scotland.
Upon coming to America James Howley settled in New York City, where he spent the remainder of his life, passing away February 16, 1895. His faithful wife survives him, residing still in New York City. Dr. Howley read medicine in the office of Dr. T. W. Ring, of that city, for some time, after which he entered the New York University, in the class of 1891, and graduated in 1894. Next he entered the New York Lying-in Hospital, where he operated as an assistant for some time; then he became house surgeon at the St. Francis Hospital in New York City, where he practiced during the year 1895, and finally, in 1896, he came to Morristown, where has begun a successful practice of his profession.
He is a member of the Morris County Medical Society. In religion he is a communicant of the Roman Catholic church, holding his membership in the local Church of the Assumption at Morristown. He is also a member of the Washingtonian Council, of the Knights of Columbus and of St. Margaret s Council of the Catholic Benevolent Legion, both the last mentioned being at Morristown. (Biographical & Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 443-444. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
A prominent grain merchant and highly respected citizen of Morristown is Mr. Jaqui, who was born at Morris Plains, New Jersey, on the 11th of October, 1867, his parents being Frederick W. and Johannah S. (Link) Jaqui, both of whom were natives of Germany. Frederick W. Jaqui emigrated to America when a young man and located first in New York city, whence he moved to Livingston, New Jersey, and then, about the year 1863, he went to Morris Plains, Morris county, where he purchased a farm, subsequently selling the same to the state of New Jersey, and upon it is now situated the New Jersey State Hospital. In 1865, Mr. Jaqui became interested, with Mr. Johnson, in a flouring mill at Morris Plains, and later became sole proprietor of the plant, which he operated until 1888, when he was succeeded by his son, Philip, and his son-in-law, George Neff, the former of whom is now conducting the business. Upon his retirement from active life, the father of our subject removed to Morristown and there passed his remaining days, his death occurring in 1892, at the age of sixty-six years. His widow survives him and resides in this city, at this writing (1897) being in her seventy-first year. To Mr. and Mrs. Jaqui the following children were born: F. William, Eliza, Minnie, Hannah, Louise, Emma, Fredrica and Philip. Although the father came to this country a poor man, by thrift, industry and perseverance he acquired a comfortable competency and was regarded as an excellent business man, one of undoubted integrity and thoroughly honest and upright in all his dealings.
Philip Jaqui received his fundamental education in the public schools of Morris Plains and Morristown, and in Dr. Fitch s Normal School, at Norwalk, Connecticut, supplementing his literary studies by a course in Coleman s Business College, of Newark, New Jersey. His practical business career began in 1888, when the firm of Jaqui & Company succeeded to his father s milling interests at Morris Plains, and continued to operate the same until 1892, when Mr. Jaqui moved to Morristown and established the firm of Jaqui & Company, dealers in flour, feed and grain. His elevator has a capacity for one hundred and fifty cars; his business has gradually increased until it has assumed large proportions, and, like his father, he has given the strongest evidence of unusual business ability, which, combined with his energy and probity, has been the factor of his success.
Mr. Jaqui has never taken an active part in political affairs, although he is keenly alive to the welfare of the community and uses his right of elective franchise, and has never sought political preferment, rather choosing the career of a business man. In his social relations he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, having been raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason in Cincinnati Lodge, No. 3, at Morristown.
In 1894 occurred the marriage of Mr. Jaqui, in which year he was united to Miss Catherine Gries, of Roseville, New Jersey. (Biographical & Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 447-448. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
An honored veteran of the Civil War, and a well known resident of Newfoundland, Morris county, Charles A. Monks was born in Passaic county, New Jersey, on the 3rd day of April 1842. His grandfather, a native of England founded the family on American soil, and noting the growing oppression of the British government in their treatment of the colonies, he became imbued with the idea that America should be a free and independent nation, and when the war of the Revolution was inaugurated he valiantly aided in the struggle for liberty. This Revolutionary patriot had three sons; James who located in the state of New York; John, who took up his residence at Monksville, New Jersey; and William, who became a resident of Passaic county. The father of our subject also bore the name of William, being so called in honor of his father. He was born in 1803, learned the blacksmith s trade and followed that pursuit throughout his entire life. He wedded Miss Mary T. Fleming, daughter of James Fleming. Her death occurred in 1846, and Mr. Monks passed away in 1873. Their children were Sidney, who was killed in battle during the Civil War; James, also deceased and Charles A.
In the common schools near his home Charles A. Monks acquired his education, and alternated his work at his books by his labor in the fields, thus aiding in the cultivation of the home farm. In his youth he learned something of mechanics as a practical machinist, but without completing the trade, having decided to become a house painter. He served an apprenticeship at the latter calling and was working along that line when the attack of the south upon the north aroused his patriotic nature and he offered his services to the government in protection of the Union, which his great-grandfather had helped to establish. He enlisted first at Paterson, in Johnson s company, but for some reason that command was not equipped and started to the front within a reasonable time, as he thought, and his impatience at the delay and anxiety to get into the field led Mr. Monks, together with six others from the same neighborhood, to desert the Johnson organization and enlist in Captain H. C. Bartlett s company of the Seventh New Jersey Volunteers. The command left Trenton for the field in the autumn of 1861 and took part in the Peninsular campaign, which continued until the spring of 1862. Company C participated in all the battles of the army of the Potomac from Bristow Station and Second Bull Run to Appomattox, except the battle of Antietam, and Mr. Monks was with his company in every engagement. On the expiration of his three-years term he re-enlisted as a veteran and served until the stars and stripes floated victoriously over the capital of the southern Confederacy.
In July, 1864, while endeavoring to escape capture, he was severely wounded, but otherwise escaped uninjured and enjoyed good health during the greater part of his service, but only he and H. S. Condit, of the seven who enlisted at Caldwell, lived to see the surrender of Lee, the others having deserted or were wounded or killed. He entered the service as a private and left with the rank of first sergeant of his company, was always found at his post of duty and endured all the hardships and privations of war, with the exception of the horrors of a rebel prison, and to avoid that experience he resolved to ask no quarter of the enemy and either escape capture or die in the attempt. The Seventh New Jersey was one of the regiments that suffered great losses on the battle-field. It was well drilled and made up on men of great courage and bravery, and at the battle of Chancellorsville it took five stands of colors, single-handed, and captured more prisoners than there were men in the regiment.
When the war was over and the country no longer needed his services, Mr. Monks turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, which he followed during the greater part of the time until 1893, when he engaged in the hotel business in Newfoundland. In the early
70s he went to Nebraska and saw much of the wild west that is now only a matter of history, owing to the rapid encroachments of civilization. In 1892 he crossed the continent to the Pacific coast, visiting Seattle, Tacoma and other cities, with some view of locating in that part of the country; but upon more mature consideration he decided to remain in New Jersey; and Morris county, therefore, still numbers him among her prominent, influential and representative business men.
In 1866 Mr. Monks was united in marriage to Miss Susan Bigelow, and to them have been born eight children: Luella,
wife of William Bross; J. Elmer, who married Susie Litz; Mary E.; Annie, Milton, who was born June 28, 1877, and
who died May 8, 1898; and Charles G., Lena and Etta, all at home. Mr. Monks has given his attention principally
to the interests of his home and business, yet has never failed in the faithful performance of his duties of citizenship,
and has capably served in the offices of coroner and constable of Passaic county. His political support is given
the men and measures of the Republican party, and to every interest or measure which he believes will prove of
public benefit he gives the same earnest service and loyal devotion that characterized his career when on southern
battle-fields he followed the stars and stripes to victory. (Biographical & Genealogical History, Morris County,
New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 439-440. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
This honored resident of Morristown is a descendent of one of the old families of the county, the members of which came to Morris county at an early date and were supposed to have originated from French stock. The father of G. E. Reeve, named Fenwick Nelson Reeve, was born July 24, 1827, and was a carpenter and builder, also carrying on farming to some extent. He married Miss Elizabeth Bonnell, a daughter of Henry C. Bonnell, whose ancestors came from New England and were originally of English extraction. He was born in Warren county, November 10, 1804, and came to Morris county at an early age. He married Miss Mary Dolan, who died July 3, 1882, aged eighty-four years; and Henry C. Bonnell died February 20, 1890.
Fenwick Taylor Reeve, the grandfather of G. E. Reeve, was born in Morris county, February 1, 1790, and followed farming. He married Miss Rachel Woodruff, and they became the parents of nine children, both parents living to the good old age of eighty-seven and eighty-five, respectively. By the union of F. N. Reeve and Elizabeth Bonnell were born eight children, as follows: Mary E., Rachel A., who married Richard Tregise; David B.; George E.; William K.; Minnie, who married Lucius Barber; Lutie, who married Addis Ridner, and Grace.
Mr. G. E. Reeve, our subject, was born in Morris county, New Jersey, on the 25th of March, 1863, and spent his boyhood days on the farm and attended the district school, later taking up the carpenter s trade, with his father at Morristown, securing work as a journeyman. In 1889 he formed a partnership with John R. Burr, under the name of Reeve & Burr, doing all kinds of building and contracting in the building line. In the year 1895 the firm bought out the entire plant and factory of Greenwood & Hayo, and have since carried on all kinds of building mill work in addition to their already extensive business, making the largest and most complete establishment of its kind in the county. The most notable of their contracts were those for the New Jersey state hospital for the insane at Morris Plains, this state, built in 1896-8, and numerous palatial residences in and about Morristown.
Mr. Reeve was united in marriage with Miss Mary Brant, March 19, 1890. She is the daughter of William and Emma (Lindsley) Brant, both of Morristown, and she died the following November; and December 31, 1896, Mr. Reeve married Miss Emma A. Fraser, a daughter of Caldwell and Elize (Lawrence) Fraser, formerly of New York city. By the latter union there is one daughter, born November 14, 1897, and named Madeolin.
In his social relations Mr. Reeve is a member of the Masonic fraternity, connected with Cincinnati Lodge, No. 3, of Morristown, and he is also an activ emember of the volunteer fire department. (Biographical & Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 441-442. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
Rosevear Brothers & Company
William Rosevear, the father of the Rosevear Brothers, prominent business men of Morristown, was born in England and acquired his education in the schools of his native land. In 1868 he crossed the Atlantic to America, taking up his residence in Dover, Morris County, where he engaged in general merchandising. He afterward sold his store and removed to Pennsylvania, but after a short time came to Morristown, where he has since been associated with his sons in business as one of the stockholders in the firm of Rosevear Brothers & Company. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary Burt, who was born in Cornwall, England, January 14, 1833, a daughter of Henry and Patience (Rodgers) Burt. To Mr. and Mrs. Rosevear were born six children: John H.; Elizabeth A., who became the wife of William Letcher, and died in 1886, leaving five children, - William, Albert, Charles E., Edith Herbert and Annie R., Charles R., who is identified with the firm of Thurston & Braidich of New York city; E. William; Phillipa J., wife of W. K. Muchmore, of Morristown; and L. Ellen, at home. The parents are both intelligent members of the Methodist Episcopal church in Morristown.
John H. Rosevear, the senior member of the firm of Rosevear Brothers & Company, came with his parents to America in 1868, and October 15, 1873, was married to Miss Eugenia Green of Camden, Maine, daughter of Alexander Green, a native of Scotland. They now have two children, Mary E. and John H.
E. William Rosevear, the younger brother, who is interested in the firm of Rosevear Brothers & Company, married Nellie L. Loyd, of Port Oram, and they have one child, Morris. In his social relations, William Rosevear is a Mason and is held in high regard by his brethren of the fraternity. In his political predilections, John H. Rosevear is a Democrat, taking an active interest in politics, yet has never been an office seeker. At the present time he is serving as president of the board of health of Morristown.
Both gentlemen occupy very prominent positions in business circles, and the industry they control is one of
the most important in this section of the state. The welfare of a community depends upon its commercial activity,
and such an establishment as the factory of Rosevear Brothers & Company not only redounds to the success of
the stockholders but also contributes largely to the general good by furnishing employment to a large force of
operatives. The brothers and their father are now associated in the manufacture of trousers and overalls, and their
business is accounted one of the most important in the city. The firm was organized in 1887, and the old mill,
enlarged and remodeled, constitutes the plant. They began operations with only six machines, but as their trade
has increased they have been forced to constantly enlarge their facilities and are now running sixty machines and
employing seventy-five operatives in the factory. They also employ four traveling salesmen and their goods are
shipped throughout the New England and Middle states. Their capacity is three hundred dozen pair of overalls and
trousers per week and these find a ready market, owing to the excellent workmanship and the high reputation for
reliability which the house sustains. No industrial concern in Morristown is of more benefit to that city, owing
to the large force of men and women who are employed. Good wages are paid and the employees know that fidelity
to duty not only wins the confidence of the firm but also means promotion as opportunity offers. A well merited
success has attended the enterprise from the beginning and the members of the company are all men of good business
ability, enterprise and keen discrimination, whose care and foresight in business have brought them prosperity.
They are ever just and fair in their treatment of employees and have strict regard for the ethics of commercial
life. (Biographical & Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 437-438. published
1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
A resident of Mount Olive, New Jersey, Mr. Stephens is one of the most prominent and prosperous farmers of his township. A review of his life and ancestry gives the following facts.
The Stephens family in America was founded by Richard Stephens, who landed in this country previous to the Revolutionary war, and who was a valiant solider in that war, serving with an official rank. He was the owner of three farms near Budd s Lake, New Jersey, one of which is the homestead owned and occupied by the subject of this sketch. Richard Stephens married Dorothy Landon and became the father of nine children, one of whom, Richard, born October 17, 1779, was the grandfather of Richard H. The second Richard Stephens was a militia captain during training days in New Jersey, and was, like his father, a worthy and honored citizen. He married Mary Bell, and died in the year 1820. The children of their union were as follows: George W.; John B.; and Mary, who married John Skinner and emigrated to Princeton, Illinois, where she died.
John B. Stephens, the father of Richard H., was ushered into life in 1810, lived to a good old age, and passed away in 1888. He was quiet and unassuming, without political ambition, and with a character in every way above reproach. A devoted and consistent Christian, he was a deacon of the Baptist Church and for fifty years its clerk. His wife was before her marriage Miss Permelia Drake, she being a daughter of Sylvanus Drake, and their only child is Richard H., whose name graces this article.
Richard H. Stephens was born May 12, 1844, at the old homestead which he now owns and where he has passed the whole of his life, devoting his energies to the pursuits common to his worthy ancestors.
Mr. Stephens has been connected with public matters in an official capacity almost continuously from his twenty-first birthday. He has filled every office in the township except that of freeholder; is the present town clerk, elected by fifty majority in a strong Democratic township, has been a member of the board of education for nearly thirty years and is now its president; and he was appointed postmaster upon the establishment of the Mount Olive post-office, his first commission having been issued by Postmaster General Creswell, under General Grant s administration. His father before him was a Republican, and it is in the ranks of this party that he has been a worker, and from Republican hands that he has been shown preference. His ancestors were Whigs.
The religious faith of the Stephens family has been that of the Baptist Church, and from this faith Richard H. Stephens has not departed. He has long been a prominent member of the church, and he is now serving as clerk and Sunday school superintendent.
Mr. Stephens was married February 14, 1872, to Carrie Smith, daughter, of Zachariah Smith, of Peapack. Her mother
s maiden name was Elizabeth Stevens. Mrs. Stephens is the youngest of the family, her brothers and sisters in order
of birth being as follows: Joseph, Margaret, wife of Stephen Babbitt; Mollie, wife of Joseph Huffman of Lebanon,
New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Stephens have two children , - John B. and Elizabeth. (Biographical & Genealogical
History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 443-445. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
The efficient deputy county clerk of Morris county, and as able attorney at law of Morristown, Mr. Voorhees has attained a high place in the public regard, owing to his ability and fidelity in official service and his enterprise and reliability in the affairs of private life. He was born in Somerset county, New Jersey, on the 15th of Augusta, 1852, and is a son of Daniel S. and Mary L. (Doty) Voorhees. His father was born in Somerville, New Jersey, in 1808, followed the occupation of farming as a life work, and died in 1878. His wife passed away in 1894. Their children were William, of Dover; Tobias, a resident of Newark; Mary, wife of Seaman Williams, of Plainfield, New Jersey, Anna L., wife of William H. Williams, of Elizabeth; and Sarah, wife of William Vroom, also of Elizabeth.
Mr. Voorhees, of this sketch, spent the days of his boyhood and youth in Elizabeth and acquired his education in the Morrow street school. He has also learned many valuable lessons in the school of experience and through reading and observation, and is today a well informed man on all matters of general interest. He entered upon his business career at the early age of fourteen years as a salesman in a hardware store of Elizabeth, being thus engaged for two and a half years. He then removed to Morristown, in the year 1870, and the following year accepted a clerical position in the office of Richard Speer, then county clerk. He was appointed to the position of deputy clerk in 1876 by William McCarty, and was reappointed by his successor, M. S. Condit, in 1878 and again by the same clerk in 1883. Five years later he was again chosen for the position of deputy by E. B. Mott, and was by him reappointed in 1893, so that he is the present incumbent. Thus for twenty-one consecutive years he has filled the office, discharging his duties with marked aptitude and faithfulness. He has the unqualified confidence of the public and fully merits the esteem in which he is uniformly held.
During the years of his public service Mr. Voorhees, by a systematic course of reading, has so familiarized himself with the statutes of the state that upon application and examination he was admitted to the bar on the 24th of February, 1896, and in April, of the same year, was appointed master in chancery.
Mr. Voorhees is one of the leaders of Republican thought and action in Morris county and has been a member of the executive committee of the county for many years. He is now secretary of the third-ward committee. He was very active in his championship of Hon. Mahlon Pitney for congress and was infuluential in a large degree in securing him the splendid pluralities which he received in 1894 and 1896. In 1898 he was elected county clerk of Morris county by a majority of one thousand and twenty-eight, running over two hundred ahead of his ticket and defeating James C. Porter, the Democratic nominee. He is an excellent organizer, who marshals the political forces with the precision of a general and at the same time with the persuasive force of a diplomat. He is certainly well fitted for leadership in the realms of politics and is accounted a most valued factor in Republican circles. For five years he acceptably served as clerk of his township. He does all in his power for the welfare and advancement of the community and during his two terms as chief of the fire department of Morristown greatly improved the service by purchasing a new La France engine and a fire-patrol wagon and introducing the new Gamewell fire-alarm system. He has been a member of the board of fire wardens for nineteen years.
In his social connections Mr. Voorhees is an Odd Fellow and is also a member of the Order of Red Men. On the
18th of January, 1874, he was united in marriage to Miss Frances L. White, a daughter of William White.
They have a wide acquaintance in Morristown and the circle of their friends is constantly widening. (Biographical
& Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 445-447. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy
This citizen of Morristown was born in German Valley, Morris county, March 23, 1848, and is a son of John H. and Margaret (Wise) Wise, both of whom were natives of Washington township, Morris county. The father, who was born in 1810, died in German Valley, at the age of seventy-eight years. He was a son of Andrew Wise, one of the pioneers of that place. By trade he was a tanner and followed that pursuit up to the time of the Civil war, when he turned his attention to farming. He was a successful business man and accumulated a handsome property. His political support was given the men and measures of the Democratic party, but he never aspired to political office. He was esteemed and respected by a wide circle of acquaintances, and was one of the prominent citizens of German Valley. His widow still survives, being in her ninety-fifth year, and is still well preserved.
John V. Wise was reared in the place of his nativity, and acquired his early educational privileges there. He was afterward a student tin Chester Institute and then completed a business course in Eastman s National Business College, at Poughkeepsie, New York. His business career began as a merchant and farmer, and to these pursuits he continued to devote his energies until the fall of 1886, when he removed from German Valley to Morristown, where he has since resided and where he purchased the business of George A. Aber, the leading auction business house in Morristown. He formed a partnership with his father-in-law, Joseph Van Dyke, under the firm name of Van Dyke & Wise and has since engaged in the real-estate and insurance business and in dealing in second-hand goods. In this line they have met with a gratifying measure of success. Mr. Wise is also a member of the firm of Foster & Wise, street sprinklers.
In 1876-7 Mr. Wise spent six months in Iowa, going there to examine lands in four different counties belonging to his father, which had been bought when Iowa was a territory. After his return from the west he taught school.
In the presidential campaign of 1896 he bore a conspicuous part in advocacy of Democracy and was an active and firm supporter of the free-silver plank of the platform. For three years, while residing at German Valley, he served as clerk of Washington township and in 1886 was elected a member of the Morris county board of chosen freeholders. He is now chairman of the county election board.
In 1878 Mr. Wise was united in marriage to Miss Ellen H. Van Dyke, and they have five children. Her father, Joseph Van Dyke is the veteran auctioneer of northern New Jersey. He was born in Somerset County, March 26, 1834, a son of John and Margaret (Cunningham) Van Dyke, both of whom were natives of Somerset County, New Jersey. The former was a son of James Van Dyke, also a native of the same county.
Joseph Van Dyke, who was the youngest of a family of six children, was reared to manhood in the county of his nativity, and gained a common-school education. His father died when he was a lad, and he began the battle of life for himself when only ten years of age. For four years he worked on a farm, and then followed shoemaking for two years, after which he was employed at carpentering for a short period. Through the succeeding eight years he was in the butchering business. In 1862 he removed to German Valley, Morris county, and in 1864 established a stage line between that place and Highbridge, conducting the same for two years, when he sold out. He next turned his attention to railroading for the New Jersey Central Railroad company, and later engaged in the machine business. Since 1879 he has been a resident of Morristown, and on his arrival here he accepted a position with the Voorhees Brothers, hardware dealers, having charge of the machinery department in their establishment until 1892, when he resigned his position. In 1886 he formed a partnership with his son-in-law, under the firm name of Van Dyke & Wise, and operations were begun as dealers in real estate, insurance and second-hand goods. They have bee quite successful in this venture, their business bringing to them good financial returns. In his early manhood Mr. Van Dyke began auctioneering, and from that time until the present has continued in the business. He has cried sales throughout Morris and surrounding counties and is said to be the oldest auctioneer in northern New Jersey.
Mr. Van Dyke has always been a stanch Democrat, and has bee honored with local office. He served for five years as justice of the peace, and in 1895 was elected a member of the county board of chosen freeholders. In 1860 he married Lydia Hoffman, and his children number four. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. (Biographical & Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 434-435. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy Luce)
A representative citizen and successful business man of Chester, Mr. Young was born in the village which is now his home, January 12, 1852, and is a son of Robert E. Young, deceased, whose birth occurred August 5, 1830. The grandfather was Elias B. Young, who died during the infancy of his son Robert, so that we have no authentic history concerning the origin of the family.
Robert E. Young learned the blacksmith s trade, under the direction of Bryant Stout, of Chester, and followed that pursuit here until 1833, when he removed to Ohio, locating in Cleveland. He remained in that city only two years and then went to the south, taking up his abode in Columbia, South Carolina, where he continued throughout the period of the Civil War. He then returned with his family to Chester, where his death occurred in the latter part of February, 1888. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary Ann Smith and was a daughter of David Smith. She still survives her husband. This worthy couple were the parents of seven children, namely, William E., of this sketch, Rosetta, wife of John Riggott, of Rockaway, New Jersey; Robert E., of Boonton, who wedded Margaret Anderson; Mary L., who died in youth; Sarah Ann, wife of Dell Benjamin, of Hoboken, New Jersey, Douglas of Boonton, who married Lydia Skellenger, and Lafayette S., of Washington, New Jersey, who married Anna Arndt.
William E. Young acquired a fair knowledge of the King s English in the common schools, which he attended until sixteen years of age, when he began life for himself as a farm hand, serving in that capacity for two years. He was then employed as a stationary engineer at the mines of the Chester Iron Company for one year and spent the succeeding year in Newark in a milk store. On leaving that position he returned to Chester, where he was employed for one year in carting iron ore for the Chester Iron Company, after which he was placed in charge of the hoisting engine and performed his duties to the company in that connection until the financial panic of 1873, when work was suspended by the company and he was forced to seek other employment. He then turned his attention to blacksmithing and spent three years in business with his father at Ralston, during which time he completely mastered the business. He next opened a shop at Chester Cross Roads, where he carried on business for three years, when he entered the employ of the Cooper Iron Mining Company, where he passed a similar period. In 1883 he located his shop in Chester, where he has since resided, and from the public he has received a liberal patronage.
Mr. Young has never been unmindful of the duties of citizenship, and is ever ready to promote any cause which tends to advance the general welfare. He has been identified with the town government of Chester, in the capacities of town clerk, town assessor, and town committeeman, resigning the last named office at the end of a year of service. He has served several terms on the board of registry and elections, and was endorsed by his party the Democratic for the office of county collector in 1897, but was defeated through an agreement entered into by a tie board, to give the collectorship to the Republicans and some other office to the Democrats.
Mr. Young was married October 8, 1872, to Miss Lydia Jane, daughter of Andrew J. and Mary Etta (Patrey) Stout. Her father was born in Chester, October 30, 1827, and was a son of Thomas Bryant Stout, who was born October 14, 1785, while his death occurred July 14, 1861. He married Deborah Terry, who was born December 13, 1789 and died September 13, 1830. Andrew J. Stout was the seventh son and thirteenth child in his father s family, and the others who still survive are William N., of Henry, Illinois, and Julia H., who is living in Wyoming, that state. In his early life Andrew J. Stout was one of the leading and substantial citizens of Chester. He was very enterprising and successful in business, widely known throughout his section of state as a leading auctioneer and popular citizen, winning the respect of all with whom he came in contact. He also conducted hotels at Flanders and Chester Cross Roads, and out of these various business enterprises made considerable money. His children were: Mrs. Young, Bryant, deceased, John P., of Chester; Peter S., deceased; and Andrew J., of Chester.
Of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Young five children have been born as follows: Edward G., who was born February
18, 1874, and died in infancy; Charles D., born August 5, 1875; Mary R., born October 2, 1877; Ada S., born November
16, 1879 and Pierson C., born November 4, 1883. Mr. Young holds membership in two fraternities, the Odd Fellows
and Masonic. He is a substantial, worthy citizen, true to all the duties of both public and private life. (Biographical
& Genealogical History, Morris County, New Jersey, Volume II, Pages 435-437. published 1899 Submitted by Peggy
Return to the Morris County Genealogy Trails New Jersey for Morris County
©2007 K. Torp