Passaic County New Jersey
[Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, Copyright, 1908 - Contributed by Christine
DIXON, Brandt V.B.
BRANDT V.B. DIXON, president of the H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial college of New Orleans, was born in Patterson, New Jersey, February 27, 1850.
His father's family removed to St. Louis in 1858. He was educated in the St. Louis public and private schools, Amherst college, and Cornell university, from which last-named institution he graduated in 1870. From that time until the present he has been engaged in educational work and has held various positions in the St. Louis public schools, being engaged almost continuously in that work from 1870 to 1887, the last three years holding the position of principal in the Central high school. In 1887 he was called to New Orleans by the board of administrators of the Tulane Educational fund to organize the Newcomb college as its first president. He is an advocate of advanced methods of education, and the remarkable progress of the Newcomb college under his administration is evidence of their practical utility. Professor Dixon also occupies the chair of metaphysics in Tulane university. He was married on the 24th of June, 1873, to Miss Eliza Carson, of Caledonia, Mo., and has two sons, both students in Tulane university. [Source:
Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
FALSTROM, GUSTAVE WILLIAM ALFRED
Gustave William Alfred Falstrom - Representatives of this family patronymic have for a number of generations resided in the Scandinavian countries of Northern Europe, where they have been identified with the moral and social interests of the various communities wherein they resided. The first representative of this branch of the family was Jonas W. Falstrom, Sr. He was born in the city of Askersund and was there reared to manhood years, and later became identified with the public affairs of the community wherein he resided. He there held the official position of sheriff of the district, and continued to reside at Askersund, throughout the entire period of his life's career, and died at the family home aged eighty-three years. His faithful wife and mother of his children, whose given name was Carolina, was also a native of Askersund, where she was educated and reared to the years of womanhood. She survived her husband for a number of years and died at the home of her son, Rudolph in the city of Arboga. They were both consistent members of the Lutheran church in the community wherein they resided. Of their union in marriage they had born to them the following children: 1. Rudolph, who married and settled with his bride in the town of Arboga and reared a family of twelve children. 2. Jonas William Jr., of whom further. 3. Caroline who did not marry. 4. Maria, who married, and settled in the town of Darlarne, where her husband held the official position of sheriff of the district for a number of years.
Jonas William Falstrom, Jr., son of Jonas William, Sr., and Carolina Falstrom, was born at the family home in the city of Askersund, in 1817. He was there educated and was confirmed in the Lutheran church. Soon after attaining to suitable years, he was apprenticed to learn the cabinet-making trade, the occupation which his brother Rudolph likewise had learned, and pursued the same throughout the active years of his life. Jonas William Falstrom became known as an efficient and capable mechanic in his chosen line of work and for many years was engaged in the cabinet-making business in the various towns wherein he resided during the active years of his life's career. He died at the family home in the city of Westeras, aged fifty-six years. His wife and mother of his children passed away at the age of sixty-six years. Jonas William Faltsrom followed in the faith of his ancestors, and his wife was a consistent member of the Baptist Church. Of their union they had born to them the following children: 1. Gustave William Alfred of whom forward. 2. Franze Albert, who died aged eight years. 3. Carl Leonard, who died aged two weeks. 4. Edla Mathilda, born January 22, 1854, at the family home in Arboga, where she was educated and reared to the years of womanhood. She came to this country in 1872 and upon her arrival settled in New York City, where she continued to reside up to 1879 in which year she settled in the city of Passaic, Passaic county, New Jersey, where she married, November 13, 1879, John William Lindholm. He was born in the town of Arboga, August 21, 1852, the son of Jonas and Anna (Olson) Lindhom. John W. and Edla M. (Falstrom) Lindhom were the parents of the following children: i. Mabel Carolina Lindholm, born February 12, 1881, died aged twelve year. ii Clifford Falstrom Lindholm, born December 8, 1882; he married, December 3, 1918, Charlotte Margarette Volger, born October 27, 1894, daughter of Theodore and May (Smith) Volger. iii Olga Wilhelmina Ellida Lindholm, born June 21, 1884. iv Albert William Lindholm, born December 9, 1891. v Edla Marie Lindholm, born July 24, 1894; married Earl Malcolm Ricker, on October 1, 1921, of Malden, Massachusetts, son of Earl Marshall Ricker, and now resides at Lakeville, Connecticut.
Gustave William Alfred Falstrom, son of Jonas William Jr., and Maria Carolina Falstrom was born at the family home in the town of Arboga, kingdom of Sweden, September 29, 1845. His early educational training was acquired in the schools of the neighborhood and after pursuing a course of academic studies and while yet in his fifteenth year, he became apprenticed to learn the metal working trade under a competent master, which whom he served as an apprentice and journeyman for a period of six years, having continued in his employ up to 1869, in which year he decided to emigrate to this country. He sailed from Gottenburg, bound for New York City where he landed in due course of time and remained in the metropolis for a brief period when he settled in what was then the small struggling village of Passaic. Soon after his settlement in his adopted town of Passaic, the young man entered the employ of Denholm Brothers' metal working establishment an Main avenue, where he continued actively engaged at his chosen line of work up to 1873. During this time, by strict economy and careful management of his affairs, he was enabled to begin business on his own account in the metal working trade, in which line of enterprise he met with immediate success, as the direct result of his skill and his straightforward methods in all his business transactions. The products of his establishment soon became recognized for their superior quality and workmanship as well as the quality of material used in their construction. In 1873 Mr. Falstrom established the metal manufacturing business known as Falstrom & Tornquist. The interests of the firm of Falstrom & Tornquist were incorporated in 1896 and later the name was changed to Falstrom & Company Inc. Gustave William Alfred Falstrom was made president of the corporation, a position which he has held up to the present time 1920). During these many years of his business activities, Mr. Falstrom has executed the metal work on many leading church edifices and numerous business houses and manufacturing plants in the city of Passaic and the surrounding community where the name of Falstrom has become identified with the Baptist Church in Passaic of which he is a member and has for some time served as a member of the board of trustees. Mr. Falstrom is not married. ( History of Passaic and Its Environs, by William W. Scott, Volume 3, 1922, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., pages 193-195)
GALLAGHER, PETER JOSEPH
Peter Joseph Gallagher, superintendent of Weights and Measures of Passaic, New Jersey, is a native of this city, his birth having occurred here May 1, 1883. He is the son of James and Anne (Winne) Gallagher. James Gallagher was born in Roscommon county, Ireland in 1842 and came to Passaic in 1883. Here he established himself in the trucking business a5t Nos. 77-79 Jefferson street, and continued so until his death, which occurred in 1902. His widow survived him and her death occurred in 1903 at the age of fifty-eight years. To the elder Gallaghers were born eight children: John, a resident of Rockaway, Long Island; Dennis, deceased; James, decased; Mary, who married Dennis Gallagher, of Passaic; Thomas, deceased; Ellen, wife of Henry Osterman, of Passaic; Peter J., of further mention; Annie, wife of Charles Brady of Passaic.
Peter J. Gallagher obtained his education in St. Nicholas grammar school of this city after which he became associated with his father in the trucking business with whom he continued for eight years. Following this he secured a position with Wells Fargo Express Company, in New York, where he was placed in charge of the delivery department, but resigned sometime later to become foreman for J. J. O'Leary Company of Passaic and New York, well known contractors. After six years with Mr. O'Leary he next established himself in business with his brother, the firm being known as the Passaic Bottling Company and located at No. 79 Jefferson street, Passaic. He disposed of his interests in the bottling business one year and a half later, and then conducted the Plaza Café on Main avenue for a time subsequently accepting his present position of superintendent of Weights and Measures, when the State of New Jersey created this department.
In politics he is a Republican and as such holds membership in the Passaic Republican Club. He is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective ruler of this body. He is also a member of the Knights of Columbus, and in religion is a Roman Catholic, attending St. Nicholas Church of that denomination. On June 30, 1920, Mr. Gallagher was united in marriage with Helen Boyle, of Hazleton, Pennsylvania. Their residence is at No. 266 Paulison avenue, Passaic, New Jersey. ( History of Passaic and Its Environs, by William W. Scott, Volume 3, 1922, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., page 195)
George Le Baron Hartt
George LeBaron was born to Jarvis and Prudence (Brown) Hartt July 11, 1849 in Wilmot (Paradise) Nova Scotia. He died January 9, 1913 in Passaic, N.J. He married three times. 1st marriage was to Claudine Matilda Millington. She was born in Passaic NJ. 2nd marriage was to Margaret Florence Montgomery Hartt, April 27, 1876 in church of Holy Trinity, New York, NY. She was a daughter of Henry and Jessie (Main) Hartt born June 28, 1849 died December 17, 1877 at 142 East 34th Street, New York. 3rd marriage to Hester Elizabeth Downing. She died 1892.
On account of ill health, he had little schooling as a lad, but he was able to take a special course at Cornell University, where his brother, Charles Frederick, was a professor. There he developed a talent for art, and, on coming to New York at the age of nineteen, he began to study art as his life's work. Mr. Hartt was art editor of the New York "Daily Graphic" in the days when illustrations had to be made by hand in black and white. He handled many famous assignments in his day, including the Brooklyn Academy fire and the return of Boss Tweed to New York under arrest.
He was the first man to telegraph a picture, and it was long a mystery how the "Graphic" could print the picture of a boat race at Cornell University the day after it happened. He did this by a system of lines and numbers. When Mr. Hartt left the "Graphic" he went into the commercial field and was head of a number of art departments of printing and lithographic companies.
He moved to Passaic in 1885 and was identified with the social, artistic and musical life of the city until his death. He was involved with the Kenilworth Society, the Century Club, the Passaic Choral Union, and many organizations during his life here. He had a dramatic tenor voice and at various times sang in nearly all of the choirs of the city. He was for a brief time a member of the Passaic Board of Education.
Mr. Hartt, through his mother, Prudence Boardman Brown, was descended from Simon Willard, who came to America in 1605 and whose family never left the Colonies. SOURCE: History of Passaic and Its Environs by William W. Scott Historical---Biographical Vol 1, pg. 109 (VII), contributed by Carole Dick
Note: A child of George and Claudine (Millington) Hartt was Constance Endicott, who died in 1982 in Hawaii.
HIRD, HENRY E.
Henry E. Hird, son of Samuel and Selina (Ainsworth) Hird (q.v.), was born in Landenberg, Chester County, Pennsylvania, February 6,1 884. In 1887 he was brought by his parents to the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he acquired his educational training in the public schools. In 1900 he came with his parents to the city of Passaic, and entered his father's mill, then known as the Robertsford Worsted Mill, on the east banks of the Passaic river, in the town of Garfield, New Jersey. Here he took an active part in the organization and remained actively identified with his father'sinterests until 1909 when he became one of the incorporators of Samuel Hird & Sons, Inc., and was made secretary of the organization.
Mr. Hird was also actively engaged in religious and welfare work among boys and young men in the Young Men's Christian Association and the Calvary Baptist Church and Sunday School, and was acting president of the board of trustees of that church during the erection of the new building located in Clifton.
Henry E. Hird married, in Garfield, New Jersey, October 21, 1908, Olive M. Cole, born February 11, 1885, daughter of Lewis E. and Emily (Myers) Cole, formerly of Unionville, New York. Henry E. and Olive M. (Cole) Hird have three children as follows: 1. Henry E., Jr., born April 29, 1911. 2. Floyd L., born March 22, 1915. 3. Olive E., born March 10, 1919.
( History of Passaic and Its Environs, by William W. Scott, Volume 3, 1922, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., page 198)
HIRD, JOHN A.
John A. Hird, the youngest son of Samuel and Selina (Ainsworth) Hird (q.v.), was born in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 10, 1895. In 1900 he came to Clifton, New Jersey, with his father's family and attended the public schools in Clifton until the family residence was changed to Passaic, where he continued his educational training. After having about two years at the Passaic High School, he entered the Preparatory College at Hightstown, New Jersey, but the World War coming on in July 1917 he enlisted with many others in the Naval Reserves and after six months on a training ship, where he proved to be a very good seaman, he was assigned as part of a special crew on the S. S. "Whippet," as a coast guard against submarine attacks on the Atlantic coast between New London and Newport, and was there stationed at the close of the war. After his return home he decided to commence his business and technical training and became identified with Samuel Hird & Sons, Inc., as an assistant manager in the spinning division of the mill. In his religious associations he is a member of the Calvary Baptist Church of Clifton. Shortly after his return from the United States service, he married Miss Millicent Harrison, daughter of Joseph Harrison, manufacturer of worsted yarns of Passaic, New Jersey. ( History of Passaic and Its Environs, by William W. Scott, Volume 3, 1922, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., pages 198-199)
Samuel Hird - The first representative of this family of whom we have any authentic information was Cornelius Hird, who with his family resided in the parish of Bingley in Yorkshire, England.
Henry Hird, son of Cornelius Hird, was born at Bingley, and lived there until he grew to manhood. He married Mary Rhodes, of Harden and of this union two sons and one daughter were born.
Samuel Hird, the eldest son of Henry and Mary (Rhodes) Hird was born in the village of Harden, England. In 1855 his father moved to Thornton, near Bradford, with his family. At an early age his son Samuel was sent to the grammar school at Thornton, where he went through the regular training and afterward attended classes at the Bradford Philosophical Society and likewise the British school of Chemistry connected with the Thornton Mechanics Institute. He was obliged to go to work early in life and attended part time school and likewise took advantage of the night schools for a number of years. To attend these night schools after his day's work he often had to walk to the nearest town, a distance of four miles but so persistent were his efforts that he not only led the class in chemistry but was awarded several prizes, among which was a Queen's prize for that subject.
In 1870 the trade conditions were so poor owing to the Franco-Prussian war that it was decided that Samuel should go to America along with a party of friends. He arrived in New York City in October, 1870 and for a number of years held various positions in textile mills, most of them being as manager and superintendent. His scientific training proved of great value to him, particularly the chemistry branches in connection with the dyeing departments of his business. Having acted for a number of years as a salesman of worsted yarns and being well acquainted with the textile industry, he was invited by William D'Olier & Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to become one of their buyers and he stayed with them for about three years, after which time he commenced business on his own account as a yarn manufacturer and commission merchant. His business was prosperous and continued to grow for a number of years.
In 1897, James Roberts, the owner of the Robertsford Worsted Mills, passed away suddenly and Mr. Hird was asked to come and help liquidate the affairs of his estate, which were somewhat complicated. He afterward purchased the property and extended the business gradually changing over from the class of fabrics that was then manufactured into a better quality of men's wear worsteds. The firm met with immediate success in this particular class of goods as a result of the practical management of the various details in the manufacture of these fabrics. In 1909 the business was incorporated under the laws of the State of New Jersey, and has since been known as Samuel Hird & Sons, Inc. Under the management of Mr. Hird and his sons the business has become one of the leading industries of its kind and furnishes employment to several hundred skilled operatives living in the neighborhood of the factory in Garfield and Clifton, New Jersey. The management of the mills is undertaken by S. Ainsworth Hird and Henry E. Hird, the two oldest sons of Samuel Hird, while the two sons, Lewis and Ralph have complete charge of the New York office where a number of salesmen in addition to themselves are employed.
Since locating his manufacturing interests in the town of Garfield, Mr. Hird settled with his family in the city of Passaic, where he has also become prominently identified with the material as well as the social, civic and religious interests of the city as an active member of the board of directors of the Passaic National Bank, a member of the board of governors of the Passaic General Hospital and likewise of the Young Men's Christian Association. Since his residence in Passaic, Mr. Hird has also taken an active part in educational affairs and has served as a member of the Board of Education for a number of years. In religion, Mr. Hird is a member of the Calvary Baptist Church.
Samuel Hird married (first) at Norristown, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, March 25, 1873, Selina Ainsworth, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Craven) Ainsworth, and of this union four daughters and six sons were born. One of the sons, Percy, died in boyhood, and a daughter, Elizabeth, in 1921. Selina (Ainsworth) Hird, mother of the aforementioned children, was born in Thornton, England. She was a woman possessed of many fine qualities, both of mind and heart, and during the years of her residence in the town of Passaic, she formed the acquaintance and friendship of many leading and representative families and became highly esteemed as a neighbor and friend. She was very much attached to the Calvary Baptist Church on President street, Passaic, and during her lifetime, along with her husband, purchased the plot of ground at the corner of Clifton and Lexington avenues, Clifton, New Jersey, which was afterwards deeded to the trustees of the aforesaid church for a new building. During her last illness she arranged that a new organ was to be placed in the church, this wish having recently been carried out by her children as a memorial to her. She died May 11, 1918, and was interred in the family plot, Cedar Lawn cemetery. Samuel Hird married (second) October 6, 1920, Marie L. Barraclough, daughter of James Barraclough, J. P., and old English acquaintance of the Hird family, residing in Thornton, England. ( History of Passaic and Its Environs, by William W. Scott, Volume 3, 1922, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., pages 196-197)
HIRD, SAMUEL AINSWORTH
Samuel Ainsworth Hird, son of Samuel and Selina (Ainsworth) Hird, (q.v.), was born in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, January 4, 1882. His early education was obtained in the Philadelphia public schools and Temple Business college. After leaving school, all his time was devoted to the study of various branches of the worsted business. In 1900 he moved to Passaic with his father's family and lived at home until he married in 1914. After moving to Passaic he was engaged in various capacities in what was then the Robertsford Worsted Mills, and in 1909 became one of the incorporators of Samuel Hird & Sons, Inc., of which Samuel Hird, his father, was the president. He was made treasurer of the corporation and general manager of the mill and holds these positions at this writing.
Mr. Hird had always been interested in the welfare of young people, and after serving as superintendent of the Calvary Baptist Sunday School from 1905 to 1915, he took up work in the same office with the First Methodist Sunday School of Passaic.
Samuel Ainsworth Hird was married in Passaic, May 25, 1914, to Mildred Flower, daughter of Edwin and Lizzie Flower. To this union were born the following children: Elizabeth Flower, born May 3, 1915; and Samuel Ainsworth, Jr., born January 19, 1918. ( History of Passaic and Its Environs, by William W. Scott, Volume 3, 1922, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., page 198)
KENT, ELMER WILLIAMSON
Elmer Williamson Kent, superintendent of the Public Service Electric Company of Passaic, is a native of New Brunswick, New Jersey, his birth having occurred there July 27, 1886. He is a son of the late John V. and Anne Elizabeth (Venderhoef) Kent, both natives of New Brunswick. John V. Kent, for many years previous to his death, which occurred in August, 1911, was an auditor for the Grand Trunk railroad. To the elder Kent were born four children: Edwin V., assistant cashier of the First National Bank of New Brunswick; Mabel, who married Milton Mook, a resident of Metuchen, New Jersey; Clayton A., who is a coal broker of Uniontown, Pennsylvania; and Elmer Williamson, of further mention.
The boyhood of Elmer Williamson Kent was spent in his native town, and it was here that he attended school, graduating from the high school in 1904. He then matriculated at Rutgers College, from which he was graduated in 1908 with the degree of Bachelor of Science. Immediately after graduating he went to Pittsfield, Massachusetts, where he was employed by the General Electric Company for one year. He subsequently returned to New Jersey, and at Camden was assistant in the construction department of the Public Service Electric
Company. Here he remained until 1911, when he went to Newark, New Jersey, as assistant illuminating engineer, and the latter part of that same year came to Passaic and accepted the position of district superintendent for the same company, in which he has since continued, a post which he has filled with untiring faithfulness and devotion to duty.
Mr. Kent is a member of the National Electric Light Association, being made president of the New Jersey branch in 1917; also member of the National Committee for several years. He is a member of Phi Beta Kappa fraternity of Rutgers College, and in politics, a staunch Republican. He is a councilman for West Paterson and on its Board of Health.
On March 3, 1915, at Passaic, Elmer Williamson Kent was united in marriage with Flora S. Wiegand, and to them have been born three children: Frances Mary, December 27, 1915; Katherine, September 19, 1917; Jane Elizabeth, March 9, 1920. His residence is in the borough of West Paterson. ( History of Passaic and Its Environs, by William W. Scott, Volume 3, 1922, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., page 193)
DR. JETUR R. RIGGS was born at Drakesville, Morris County, N. J., June 20th, 1809, his father being a farmer
in comfortable circumstances. He attended school at Succasunna, and for about two years studied the languages under
the direction of the Rev. Jacob Green; afterward for four years under Ezra Fairchild, who had a large select school
at Succasunna. Among his companions at this school were several whose names have since become prominent in literary
and professional life, such as David, A. Hayes. John Goble, John Taylor, Enoch Bowles, Dr. John Stewart and others.
The Doctor early in life evinced a great fondness for hunting, at which he spent much time, in company with Dr.
Jacob D. Woodruff, now of Brooklyn, N. Y. He retained a fondness for this sport to the close of his life, it being
quite a common occurrence to see the Doctor starting of a morning into the country on a hunting expedition for
a few days.
Terhune, Mrs. Mary Virginia, author of Pompton, N.J., was born Dec. 21, 1831, in Amelia County, Va. She is the author of The Hidden Path and other works.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association, 1914, Transcribed by AFOFG]