Lawrence Fraser Abbott
Editor, publisher; b. Brooklyn, N.Y., June 25, 1869; s. Rev. Lyman and Abby F. (Hamlin) Abbott; grad. Amherst Coll.; m. Bayport, L.I., Sept. 7, 1905, Winifred, d. Dr. Albert H. Buck, of N.Y. City. Pres. and dir. The Outlook Co,; dir. Valentine & Co. Residence: Cornwall, N.Y. Address: 287 Fourth Ave., N.Y. City. Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols
David T. Abercrombie
Manufacturer, merchant; b. Baltimore Md., June 6, 1867; s. John and Elizabeth Sarah (Daniel) Abercrombie; ed. public school Baltimore City Coll., and by private instruction; m. Baltimore, Md; April 25, 1896, Lucy Abbott Cate: children: Elizabeth, b 1897; Lucy b. 1899; David, b. 1901; Abbott, b. 1909.
Cl? eng'r and topographer until 1892; later m? and merchant; now pres. David T. Abercrombie Co., N.Y. City, outfitters for sportsmen; was explorer and chief of survey, Norfolk & Western R.R. In coal and timberlands of West Virginia. Mem. B'd of Trade, Newark, N.J., N.Y. Chamber of Commerce. Republican. Mem Am. Museum of Natural History, N.Y. Acad. of Sciences, N.Y., Zoo. Soc., N.Y. Bot. Soc., N.Y. Hist. Soc.; Recreations: Exploring, fishing, hunting, camping. Clubs: League of Am. Sportsmen North End, Greenwood Lake Boat and Country, Camp Fire, Pines Riviere Fish and Game, Anglo-American Fish and Game. Residence: 197 Ballantine Parkway, Newark, N.J. Address: 311 Broadway, N.Y. City. Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols
Librarian; b. Wethersfield, Conn., Sept. 20, 1873; s. Thomas Griswold and Lucy Stillman (Dickinson) Adams; ed. local schools of Wethersfield, Hartford (Conn.) Public High sch., grad. 1892; Yale, B.A., 1896; unmarried. Removed to N.Y. City, 1898; with Brooklyn Life Publishing Co., 1898-99; entered staff of Brooklyn Pub. Library, 1899; librarian Prospect Branch of same, 1900-02; appt'd, 1902, sup't Dep't of Traveling Librarian; ass't to chief of Circulation Dep't, N.Y. Public Library, April, 1904; chief of Circulation Dep't since 1909. Has done much geneal. work; contributed genealogy of Adams family and others to Stiles' History of Ancient Wethersfield (Conn.) and much matter of a geneal. and hist. nature, including bibliographies; contributed articles in local history to Springfield (Mass.) and Hartford (Conn.) newspapers; assisted in compilation of Tillotson's Wethersfield inscriptions and other works of a similar character. Democrat; candidate for representative in Gen. Assembly of Conn., 1896: delegate to Dem. State Conv. of Conn., 1896, 1898. Congregationalls Mem. Am. Library Ass'n, N.Y. (State) Library Ass'n, N.Y. (City) Library Club Conn. Hist. Soc., Brooklyn Armstrong Ass't Linnaean Soc., Am. Museum of Natural History, Am. Ornithol. Union, Nat. Geog. Soc Club: Yale. Address: 155 Amity St., Brooklyn, N.Y. [Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]
Samuel H. Adams
Adams, Samuel Herbert, educator, designer, artist, was born Jan. 25, 1858, in West Concord, Vt. He was educated in the public schools of Fitchburg, Mass.; and in 1885-90 studied art in Paris, France. He is an instructor in the Pratt institute of Brooklyn, N.Y. He designed one of the doors in the new congressional library of Washington, D. C.; and designed the statue of Joseph Henry.["Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Henry Sherman Adams
Editor; b. Wethersfield, Conn., Aug. 1, 1864: eldest s. Thomas Griswold and Lucy Stillman (Dickinson) Adams; ed. public and private schs. in Wethersfield, and Hartford Public High Sch; unmarried. Editor, The Spur. Independent in politics; Congregationalist. Mem. Royal Hort. Soc., Am. Geog. Soc. Clubs: Crescent Athletic, City of N.Y., Am. Alpine, Alpine of Can. Address: 152 Montague St., Brooklyn, N.Y. [Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]
Arthur Rockwell Addy
Physician; b. Marietta, O., Aug. 18, 1870; s. William (D.D.) and Frances Augusta (Barnes) Addy; grad. Marietta Coll., A.B., 1892 (cum laude, sp'l cum laude in Greek) ; Coll. Phys. and Surg. (Columbia Med. Dept.), N.Y. City, M.D., 1899. Interne Gen. Memorial Hosp., N.Y., Feb., 1901-June, 1902; surg. Out Patient Dep't, Presby'n Hosp., 1902-07. Capt. Med. Corps, N.G.N.Y. May 25,1907, attached to 71st Inf., N.Y. City. Independent; Presby'n. Mem. N.Y. County Med. Ass'n, Med. Ass'n of Greater City of N.Y., Ass'n of Mil. Surg. of U.S., Phi Beta Kappa and Delta Upsilon fraternities. Club: Graduates (charter mem.). Residence: 808 Lenox Road, Brooklyn. Address: Cor. Lenox road and E. 51st, St., Brooklyn, N.Y. [Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]
Frederick Thurston Aldridge
Banker; b. Brooklyn, N.Y.; s. Volney & Harriet E. (Hull) Aldridge; ed. In Brooklyn schs.; m. Brooklyn, N.Y., Oct. 15,1884, Bessie Jones Lowrey (died 1909); one d. Marguerite, b. 1890. With firm of Bowring & Archibald, exporters, N.Y. City, 1877-84; sec. Long Island Loan & Trust Co., Brooklyn, 1888-1913; v.-p. Brooklyn Trust Co. Served 12 years in 23rd Reg't. N.G.N.Y. Episcopalian. V.-p. and trustee Brooklyn Heights Sem.; trustee Sheltering Arms Nursery, Brooklyn Home for Aged Men; Mem. Soc. Colonial Wars, Sons of Revolution, New Eng. Soc. of N.Y., sec. New Eng. Soc of Brooklyn, Hull Family Ass'n. Clubs: Crescent Athletic, Hamilton, Brooklyn Civic, Brooklyn. Address: 406 Clinton Ave., Brooklyn, N.Y. [Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]
John Johnson Allen
Lawyer: b. Utica, N.Y., Aug. 4, 1843; s. Joseph Dana (C.E., Norwich Univ., chief eng'r Erie Canal, consulting eng'r Erie R.R., Chicago and North Western R.R., etc.) and Eliza R. (d. John Johnson, Surveyor General, Vt.,) Allen: descendant Samuel Allen, deputy of Plymouth Colony, and Miles Standish; grad. Univ. of Vt., A.B., 1862; A.M., 1865; LL.B., 1866, Columbia Univ.; m. June 30, 1870, Louise A., d. Judge Charles Shaler, Pittsburgh, Pa., children: M. Shaler (A.B., Univ. Vt., LL.B., N.Y. Law Sch.); Elizabeth (A.B., A.M., Columbia Univ.); Marguerite L. Admitted to N.Y. Bar, 1866, and subsequently engaged in extensive practice; counsel to corpn's; served as acting U.S. provost marshal, 1865; ass't U.S. dist. att'y, 1866-73; mem. N.Y. Assembly, 1874; chief U.S. supervisor of elections, 1874-93; U.S. comm'r and master in chancery U.S. Court, Eastern Dist. N.Y.; Dep. Gov. Soc. Colonial Wars. Mem. N.E. Soc., N.Y. Champlain Ass'n, Brooklyn Soc. Arts and Sciences, Phi Beta Kappa Alumni, N.Y., Nat. Geog. Soc.; N.Y. Alumni Univ. of Vt. (pres.), N.Y. Sigma Phi fraternity (pres.), Society of Vermonters (pres.). Clubs: Brooklyn Civic Club, Ethan Allen (Vt.), Brooklyn Republican (pres.) Union League. Residence: 129 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn; (summer) Burlington, Vt. Address: 189 Montague St., Brooklyn, N.Y. [Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]
Walter H. Allen
Civil eng'r, U.S.N.; b Newton Highlands, Mass., Jan. 9, 1875; s. Walter and Grace Mason (Weston) Allen; grad. Yale Coll., A.B., 1895; Shelffield Scientific Sch., Yale, Ph.B., 1896; Larned Scholar, Yale Univ., 1895-98; m. Brooklyn Navy Yard, Jan. 24, 1906, Edith Stark Hancock; one d.; b. Mar. 21, 1907. In railroad eng'ring with the N.Y., New Haven & Hartford R.R., and Mexican Internat. R'y, 1898-1903; first ass't to Civil eng'r-in-charge Brooklyn Navy Yard, 1903-06; civil eng'r -in-charge, Charleston (S.C.) Navy Yard, 1906-09; in charge of constr'n U.S. Naval Magazine, Hingham, Mass., July 1909-June, 1910; with Bureau of Yards and Docks, Navy Dep't, July, 1910-Feb., 1912: 1st ass't to Public Wks. Office, Brooklyn Navy Yard, 1912-13; Public Wks. Off., Naval Sta., Olongapo, P.I., 1914-16; 1st ass't to Public Wks. Office, Brooklyn Navy Yard, since 1916. Served as volunteer naval cadet, U.S.N., July-Sept., 1898; since June, 1903, civil eng'r, U.S.N., rank of Lieut. Com'dr. Mem. Am. Soc. Civil Eng'rs. Clubs: Army and Navy (Washington), Graduates (New Haven), Hamilton (Brooklyn), Crescent Athletic (Brooklyn). Address: U.S. Navy Yard, Brooklyn, N.Y. [Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]
Reese F. Alsop
Clergyman; B. Richmond, Ind.: s. Robert and Maria (Fell) Alsop; ed. Phila. (degs. A.B. and A.M.); Kenyon Coll., Ohio, D.D.; Hon. Canon of Cathedral of Incarnation, Garden City; m. (1) Mary Lee Spring; (2) Florence C. Righter, Newark, N.J.; children: Reese D., Gulielma F., Mary, Elizabeth F. Ordained Deacon, 1858; Presbyter, 1861; ass't minister St. Philips Ch., Phila; retor, St. John's Ch., Framingham, Mass.; Christ Ch., Rye, N.Y.; St. Andrew's Ch., Pittsburgh; Grace Ch., Phila.; St, Ann's Ch., Brooklyn, of which is now Emeritus Rector. Mem. Ten General Convs. Clubs: Hamilton, Twentieth Century, Club of N.Y., and various clerical clubs. Address: 96 Remsen St., Brooklyn, N.Y. [Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]
Andrew Porter Alvord
Mgr.; b. Monson, Mass., Aug. 13, 1864; s. Rev. Frederick and Susan Gridley (Ely) Alvord; ed. Amherst Coll., A. B. Pres. Phenix Tube Co. Mem. Nat'l Ass'n of Mgrs.; Chamber of Commerce of N.Y.; Acad. of Polit. Sci.; Nat'l Geog'r Soc. Republican. Recreation: Golf. Clubs: Univ., Alpha Delta Phi, Seawanhaka-Corinthian Yacht, Nassau Co. Residence: 12 W. 44th St., N.Y. City. Address: 182 North 11th St., Brooklyn.[ Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]
Frank Stanleigh Angell
Lawyer; b. Brooklyn, Aug. 3, 1870; s. Albert H. and Florence A. (De Wolfe) Angell; ed. C.C.N.Y., B.S., 1890; Columbia Coll., A. M., 1891; N.Y. Law Sch., L.L.B., 1892. Served with Troop "C", N. Y. Vol. Cav. In Porto Rican Campaign, 1898, at Coanio, Asamonte and Albanito Pass. Mem. Bar Ass'n. City of N. Y.; Phi Delta Theta. Residence: 42 Sidney Pl., Brooklyn. Address: 28 Beaver St., N. Y. City. [Source: "WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK - A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State", Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Shannon Read]
Samuel G. Arnold
Arnold, Samuel George, journalist, publisher, government official, was born Feb. 15, 1806, near Utica, N.Y. In 1838 he established the News of Brooklyn, N.Y., which ultimately was merged into the Brooklyn Eagle. For several years he was editor of the Toledo Blade of Ohio. In 1869-91 he was connected with the United States treasury department in Washington, D.C. He died May 3, 1891, in Washington, D.C. ["Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Charles H. Bell
BELL, Charles H., rear-admiral U. S. navy, was born in New York, Aug. 15, 1798. He was appointed midshipman in 1812, and served under Decatur and Chauncey during the second war with England. In 1815 he was attached to the Macedonian and took part in the war with Algiers. He was promoted to be lieutenant in March, 1820, and in 1824, while commander of the Ferret, was capsized in the West Indies, but after remaining twenty-one hours on the wreck was rescued with a portion of his crew. In 1829, while an officer of the Erie, cruising in the West Indies, he aided in taking the pirate schooner Federal from under the guns of the forts at Guadeloupe. After performing varied duties at sea and on shore he was, in 1839, assigned to the command of the Dolphin, and made two cruises to the coast of Africa. He was promoted to be commander Sept. 20, 1840, and in 1844 as commander of the Yorktown was again dispatched to the African coast, where he remained two years, capturing three slavers and freeing many hundreds of slaves. He was commissioned as captain in 1854 and at the opening of the civil war was in command of the Mediterranean squadron. He was at once ordered home, and after the capture of the Trent was sent to Panama to take command of the Pacific squadron, which position he retained for nearly three years. In 1864 and 1865 he was stationed in the James river. In 1865 he became commander of the Brooklyn navy yard and served in that capacity until May, 1868, when after fifty-six years of service, forty-four of which were passed at sea, he was placed on the retired list. He was raised to the rank of commodore July 16, 1862, and to that of rear-admiral July 25, 1866. His last years were spent in New Brunswick, N. J., where he died Feb. 19, 1875. [Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1892, by James T. White & Co., N. Y.; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
John E. Bell
John E. BELL, Excelsior. Office 60 S 4th st Minneapolis. Banker. Born Oct 10, 1834 in Brownsville N Y, son of John and Sarah (Cooper) Bell. Married 1858 to Jennie C Smith; Feb 1, 1898 to Ruth Harris. Educated in dist school West Almond; Allegany county N Y. Gen merchandise Dexter N Y 1854-56; clerked in Minneapolis 1857-58; member Bell Bros merchants Minneapolis 1858-68; buyer in N Y for Auerbach, Finch & Van Slyck St Paul 1868-70; returned to Minneapolis 1870; helped organize Hennepin County Savings Bank 1870; pres said bank 1870 to date; dir Minn Loan & Trust Co. Alderman in Minneapolis and member Hook & Ladder Co 1857; pres Hennepin County Pioneers Assn; also of Minneapolis Atheneum Library 1880 to date; pres Minn Pioneers Assn; dir Minn State Sunday School Assn 1859 to date. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Chas E. Blydenburgh
Chas E. Blydenburgh, attorney; (Dem.); b. March 19, 1854, Brooklyn, N. Y.; s. of Benjamin B . and Mary (Brower) Blydenburgh; educ. Private schools, Brooklyn, N. Y. and Lawrenceville, N. J.; grad. (A. B.) Princeton Univ., 1874; (A. M.) Princeton, 1877, grad. (E. M. and C. E.) School of Mines, Columbia college, N. Y., 1878; mem. American Rifle Team,1876-1877, in shoot against British team at Creedmore, Long Island; located at Rawlins, Wyoming, Aug. 1878, in charge with J. G. Murphy, of the territorial assay office, 1878-80; engaged in ranching and cattle raising in Carbon county since 1880; engaged in newspaper business in Rawlins, 1880-8; admitted to bar in Wyoming, 1889, and has been in active practice in Rawlins since; member law firm of McMicken & Blydenburgh since 1889; supt. of schools, Carbon county, Wyo. 1881-2; mem. Wyo. Terr. H. of Rep. (10th Legislature) 1888; city councilman,. Rawlins, 1892-4; city attorney, Rawllins, twelve years; county and prosecuting attorney, Carbon county, 1897-8; Chr. Wyo. State Democratic Committee, 1896-8; Democratic candidate for State Supreme Court, 1898; delegate Democratic national convention at Kansas City (mem. Committee on Resolutions) 1900; member first Wyoming state board of law examiners, 1899-1911; dem. Candidate for Supreme Court Justice, 1914; member K. of P. (since 1880): charter member and Past Exalted Ruler Rawling lodge Elks. Address: Rawlins, Wyoming. [Source: "Men of Wyoming", By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915, Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
David A. Bokee
BOKEE, David Alexander, a Representative from New York; born in New York City, October 6, 1805; attended the public schools; engaged in mercantile pursuits; studied law; was admitted to the bar and practiced; president of the Brooklyn Board of Aldermen 1840-1843 and 1845-1848; member of the State senate 1846-1849; trustee of the New York Life Insurance Co., 1848-1860; elected as a Whig to the Thirty-first Congress (March 4, 1849-March 3, 1851); appointed by President Fillmore as naval officer of customs of the port of New York and served from 1851 to 1853; engaged as a shipping merchant; died in Washington, D.C., March 15, 1860; interment in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn, N.Y. [Source: "Biographical Directory of the U.S. Congress" - Sub. by K.T.]
Bokee, David A., naval officer, congressman, was born Oct. 6. 1805, in New York. In 1849-51 he was a representative from New York to the thirty-first congress. He died March 16, 1860, in Washington, D.C. [Source: "Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Henry C. Bolton
Bolton, Henry Carrington, educator, scientist, author, was born Jan. 28, 1843, in New York City. In 1877-87 he was professor of chemistry at Trinity college of Hartford, Conn.; and in 1889-99 professor of the history and bibliography of chemistry in Columbian university of Washington, D.C. He was the author of Application of Organic Acids to the Examination of Minerals; Literature of Uranium; Literature of Manganese; Student's Guide in Quantitative Analysis; The Family of Bolton in England and America; Scientific Correspondence of Joseph Priestley; and Select Bibliography of Chemistry, in three volumes. He died in 1903 in Washington, D.C. ["Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Henry J. Brent
Brent, Henry Johnson, artist, author, was born in 1811 in Washington, D.C. He contributed to Porter's Spirit of the Times, over the well-known signature of Stirrup; and was the associate of Lewis Gaylord Clark in founding and editing the Knickerbocker, a magazine that enjoyed great popularity in 1833-64. His best literary work was Life Almost Alone, published as a serial in the Knickerbocker; and Was it a Ghost? a theory and discussion of the celebrated murder of the Joyce children. He died Aug. 3, 1880, in New York City. ["Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Charles D. Brigham
Brigham, Charles David, journalist, was born in 1819 in Oxford, N.Y. In his journalistic work in New York City he was associated with Horace Greely. A year before the outbreak of the civil war he was sent to report the sentiment of the south and was arrested as a spy but escaped. In 1885-90 he edited the Times in Pittsburg, Pa. He died Oct. 20, 1894, in Washington, D.C. ["Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Charles A. Bristed
Bristed, Charles Astor, journalist, author, was born Oct. 6, 1820, in New York City; and was a son of John Bristed, the noted clergyman and author. He received a thorough education in the public schools of New York City. He was a popular writer in the newspapers and magazines of New York City. He was the author of Five Years in an English University; The Upper Ten Thousand; The Inference Theory of the Government; Pieces of a Broken-down Critic; and Anacreontics. He died Jan. 15, 1874, in Washington, D.C. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Brooks, James, journalist, congressman, was born Nov. 10, 1810, in Portland, Maine. In 1839 he was elected to the state legislature of Maine; and in 1836 established the New York Daily Express, of which he was the chief editor and proprietor. In 1847 he was elected a member of the New York state legislature. In 1849-53 and 1863-73 he was a representative from New York City to the thirty-first and thirty-second and the thirty-eighth to the forty-second congresses. He died April 30, 1873, in Washington, D.C. ["Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
John H. Brown
Brown, John Howard, journalist, author, was born Nov. 8, 1840, in Rhinebeck, N.Y. He was a student at Rhinebeck academy, Fort Edward institute and at Eastman college; and studied law in New York City. He was a newspaper correspondent in 1863-65 in Washington, D.C.; and in 1868-71 was a real estate agent and news correspondent in Georgia. In 1871-85 he was a publisher of popular subscription books in New York City; in 1885-87 he was traveling correspondent for the New York Star; and in 1890-95 was editor of the National Encyclopedia of American Biography of New York City. In 1896-99 he was editor of the Encyclopedia of American Biography published in Boston, Mass., the title of which is now Lamb's Biographical Dictionary of the United States. He is also the author of American Naval Heroes; and other works. ["Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Bryson, Andrew, naval officer, was born July 25, 1822, in New York City. He entered the navy as midshipman in 1837; was promoted to lieutenant in 1851; became commander in 1862; was made captain in 1866; became commodore in 1873; and attained the rank of rear admiral in 1880. Previous to his retirement, after forty-three years of service, he was in command of the South Atlantic station. He died Feb. 7. 1892, in Washington, D.C. ["Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Charles H. Butler
Butler, Charles Henry, lawyer, court reporter, author, was born June 18, 1859, in New York City. In 1881 he graduated from Princeton University. For many years he practiced law in New York City; in 1898 he was legal expert of the Anglo-American Canadian commission; and since 1902 he has been reporter of the United States Supreme Court at Washington, D.C. He is the author of Cuba Must be Free; the Voice of the Nation; Our Relations with Spain; Our Treaty with Spain; Freedom of Private Property on the Sea; and Treaty Making Power of the United States, in two volumes. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
William S. Campbell
Campbell, William Shaw, traveler, diplomat, was born July 26, 1818, in New York City. In 1840-42 he traveled throughout eastern Europe; and an account of his travels were published with the title of Letters From the Heart of Europe. In 1843 he was appointed United States consul at Rotterdam, Holland; and for nearly forty years was in the United States consular service in Holland, Germany and England, retiring in 1897. He now lives in Washington, D.C. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Martin W. Connors
CONNORS, Martin W.; born, Brooklyn, N. Y., Dec. 11, 1858; son of William and Mary (Welsh) Connors; educated in public schools of Louisville, Ky,; married, Louisville, 1887, Addie Beuther. Began active career in service of the Louisville & Nashville Ry., continuing in different departments for 14 years; began in life insurance business as solicitor for the Equitable Life Assurance Society, and remained with the organization at Louisville for 4 years; was in new York for 5 years in special capacity for the Mutual Life Insurance Co.; came to Detroit, 1900, as state manager for the Equitable Life, was transferred to Philadelphia, 1903, but returned to Detroit same year, and assumed present position with the Provident Savings Life Association, Republican. Member B. P. O. E. Club: Fellowship. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: 1027-1029 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: 107 Forest Av., W. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
Guy C.H. Corliss
JUDGE GUY C. H. CORLISS, one of the most learned members of the legal profession in North Dakota, has gained his knowledge and high station by dint of his own efforts. He has studied always with the idea of strengthening his mind and character, and he now stands at the head of the North Dakota bar. Mr. Corliss has resided in Grand Forks since the fall of 1886, and counts every man as his friend who has ever known him. A portrait of Judge Corliss appears on another page of this volume.
Our subject was born at Poughkeepsie, New York, July 4, 1858. His father, Cyrus K. Corliss, was a lawyer, and was born at Ballston Springs, New York, and moved to Poughkeepsie about 1840.
Mr. Corliss was graduated from the Poughkeepsie high school at the age of fourteen years, and has attended no schools since that time. He then became clerk in a store, and began the study of law in June, 1876, in the office of J. S. Van Cleef, and was admitted to the bar in September, 1879, at Brooklyn, New York. He practiced his profession at his old home until the fall of 1886, when he removed to Grand Forks, North Dakota, and entered into partnership with J. H. Bosard, of that city, which partnership continued until the fall of 1889, when our subject was elected judge of the supreme court and became first chief justice. He served on the bench until August 15, 1898, when he resigned. He was re-nominated for the supreme bench by all of the political parties in 1892, and had no opposition to his candidacy.
Mr. Corliss was married April 6, 1883, Miss Effie V. Edson, of Clifton Springs, New York, becoming his wife. Four children, three sons and one daughter, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Corliss. Judge Corliss was made dean of the law school of the University of North Dakota in the summer of 1889. As a practitioner he is well read, and as a judge he has no superiors in the state. He has a quick and comprehensive mind, is earnest in convictions and able in his assertions, and devotes himself to the interests entrusted to his care, and too much cannot be said of him as a practitioner and citizen. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
Thomas Darlington, Jr.
DARLINGTON, Thomas, Jr.; physician and journalist, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., Sept. 24, 1858. After preparatory studies in New York and Newark, N. J., he took the scientific course in the University of the City of New York, and then attended for three years the College of Physicians and Surgeons, from which he was graduated. After a year or two of private practice in Newark, N. J., where he was on the staff of St. Michael's Hospital, he removed to Kingsbridge, New York city. Here he became surgeon to the new Croton aqueduct and other public works, in connection with which he discharged important duties. He was also a member of the Medical Society of the County of New York. In 1888 he was appointed surgeon to the Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company, located at Bisbee, Ariz., and the Arizona and Southeastern Railroad Company Hospital. He is the author of various articles which have appeared in the "Medical Record," "Scientific American, "and "Youth's Companion," some of which have been printed in pamphlet form. His experience in connection with the building of the New York aqueduct qualified him for the very high position of influence and responsibility which he held in the Southwest. He was married in 1885 to Josephine A. Sergeant, of New York city. Since the death of his wife in Arizona, he has resigned his position and returned to his practice in New York City, and also assumed the editorship of the "Hygienic World" on the staff of the "Mail and Express."
DIMITRY, Alexander, diplomat, was born in New Orleans, La.. Feb. 7, 1805, son of Andrea and Celeste (Dragon) Dimitry. His father (the original Greek form of whose name was Demetrios) was a native of the island of Hydra, oil the southeastern coast of Greece. The family was of Macedonian origin, his ancestors having been among the leaders of a colony of Macedonians and Albanians, who in the seventeenth century left their ancestral homes in order to dwell among their Greek compatriots of the South. They colonized the scarcely inhabited island of Hydra, thus beginning the race of Hydriotes. Celeste Dragon, the mother of Alexander Dimitry, was a native of New Orleans. Alexander Dimitry received his early education at home from private tutors, afterwards attending the New Orleans Classical Academy, conducted by the famous Dr. Hull. He was graduated at Georgetown College. D. C., and in 1867 received from it the degree of LL.D. After doing editorial work for some time in New Orleans, he was appointed to a professorship in Baton Rouge (La.) College. In 1834, and for some years thereafter, he held a clerkship in the post office department at Washington, D. C. In 1842 he removed from Washington to Louisiana, and established in St. Charles parish the St. Charles Institute, which he conducted until 1847, when he was appointed by Gov. Isaac Johnson state superintendent of public education, He was the first incumbent of this office in Louisiana (1847-51), and as such organized and put into active operation the public school system throughout the state. In 1854 he returned to Washington, D. C., being appointed chief translator of foreign diplomatic correspondence in the state department. While still holding this position, he was appointed by Pres. Buchanan, in 1859, U.S. minister resident to the republics of Costa Rica and Nicaragua, the seat of legation being at San Jose de Costa Rica. When, in 1861, Louisiana seceded from the Union he resigned, and returned to the United States. Soon after this he was appointed chief of the finance bureau of the Confederate States post office deportment, a position which carried with it the rank of an assistant postmaster-general. After the civil war he lived for two years in New York city and in Brooklyn, removing in 1867 to New Orleans, where he resided until his death. In 1870 he became professor of ancient languages at the Christian Brothers College, Pass Christian, Miss. He was distinguished as a scholar, linguist, orator, lecturer, educator, diplomat and a writer of eloquent and vigorous English. In 1830-35 he wrote seven admirable short stories for the "Annuals" of New York and Philadelphia. He also contributed occasionally to magazines. He was familiar with eleven languages, ancient and modern. Mr. Dimitry was a prominent Odd Fellow, and was one of the founders of the order of Seven Wise Men, or Heptasophs, in which he held the highest position. He was married in Washington, D. C., in 1835, to Mary Powell, daughter of Robert Mills, U. S. government architect. He died in New Orleans, Jan. 30, 1883, leaving seven children. ["The National Cyclopedia of American Biography", Volume 10, 1900 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Jesse T. Duryea
DURYEA, Jesse Townsend, physician and president of the Colwell Lead Co., was born at Manhasset, L. I.. Nov. 11, 1865, son of Sanford B. and Ellen A. (Leeder) Duryea, and a descendant of Joost Durie (1650-1727) a French Huguenot of Neuheim, Germany, who came to this country in 1675 and settled on Long Island. His father was one of the old- time photographers whose career commenced in the days of the daguerreotype. After attending the public schools and a business college, young Duryea went into business at the age of sixteen. In 1886 he entered Bellevue Medical College, and after graduating there in 1889, he was an interne at Kings County hospital, Brooklyn, until 1890, when he was made assistant superintendent. He was medical superintendent of the hospital for two years (1892-94) and then became superintendent of the contagious diseases department. At the close of the year 1894 he was appointed expert on contagious diseases for the city of Brooklyn, a position he held until 1896, when he returned to the Kings County Hospital, and became the general superintendent of all the charitable institutions of Kings and Queens counties. In this capacity he had full power to improve conditions of the Kings county institutions, and during an incumbency of six years he inaugurated a number of improvements, such as the establishment of training schools for nurses, kindergartens in the children's departments, and schools for the feeble-minded. He also originated and founded the National Association of Hospital Superintendents, serving as its first president. He was frequently called up as an expert in all matters of hospital construction and organization. He is one of the charter members of the Phi Alpha Sigma fraternity, also a charter member of Troop C, and was its first surgeon with the rank of lieutenant. He is still a member of the Kings County Medical Society, the New York State Medical Society, and the State Charities Aid Association. Dr. Duryea numbered among his friends those who controlled the Colwell Lead Co., and recognizing his business and executive ability and powers of organization, they invited him to become the vice- president and general manager of the company in 1902. The company was founded in 1850 as the New York Lead Co. by Lewis Colwell, W. A. Shaw and Gardner Willard, the original members of the firm. In 1866 it became known as the Colwell, Shaw & Willard Manufacturing Co., Incorporated. The present officers of the company are Jesse T. Duryea, president; S. R. Bush, vice-president; C. F. Duryea, treasurer; and B. O. Tilden, secretary. The New York office is at Lafayette and Walker streets, with a branch at Worcester, Mass., and manufacturing plants at Elizabeth, N. J. Dr. Duryea is fond of all out-door sports, especially motoring, and while not a clubman is a member of the Barnard Club, Hardware Club, the Riding and Driving Club, and the Automobile Club of America. Dr. Duryea was married in 1891, to Martha M., daughter of S. R. Bush of Easton, Pa., and has two daughters, Dorothy and Helen Royce Duryea. [From "The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography: Being the History of the United States", By James Terry White, 1910. Submitted by K.T.]
C. J. Early
Among the energetic and enterprising young men of Uinta county (Wyoming) who are rapidly forging to the front through the force of their inherent ability and a nobility of character. Christopher J. Early, of Fort Bridger, Wyoming, holds a conspicuous place. He was born in Brooklyn, New York, on December 24, 1864, a son of James and Ellen B. (McNaughton) Early, both natives of Ireland. His father did valiant service in the bloody ranks of the Civil War, to attest the sincerity of his devotion to his adopted country, and was in the service at Fort Bridger, where Christopher received most of his education at the military school at the fort and at the local public school. Following this he was engaged with his father in the cattle business in this vicinity until 1898, when they disposed of most of their stock. In 1893 Mr. Early had filed a squatters' right on the 160 acres, where he now makes his home, and his selection was a most valuable one, as he has it now well improved and producing bounteous crops of excellent hay. Mr. Early takes an active and earnest interest in public affairs as a member of the Republican party, and has served as a deputy assessor for several terms with marked acceptability, being also elected to the Legislature in 1902. Mr. Early was united in the bonds of holy matrimony with Miss Mary E. Kavanagh, a daughter of Dennis and Elizabeth (Lyons) Kavanagh, in Salt Lake City, Utah, on November 22, 1900. Her parents were natives of Ireland and both died in West Virginia. Mrs. Early has two brothers residing in Chicago, Ill., and a sister whose home is in West Virginia. Herself and husband are members of the Catholic church and they have a large circle of appreciated friends. [Source: "Progressive men of the state of Wyoming", 1901 ... By A.W. Bowen & Co - sub. by K.T.]
Walter L. Filmer
Walter Lockett FILMER, manager Dodge & Olcott Co., essential oils, etc.; born, Brooklyn, N. Y., Feb. 15, 1868; son of John and Sarah Alice (Lockett) Filmer; educated in public schools of Brooklyn, N. Y.; married, Madisonville, Ky., April, 1898, Elsie M. Hopewell; children: Walter L., Jr., James C. Began business career July 6, 1885, in New York, as office boy for the firm of Dodge & Olcott, dealers in essential oils, vanilla beans, etc.; came to St. Louis for same firm as salesman in 1895, and in October, 1897, was made manager of the St. Louis branch, in which position continues for the Dodge & Olcott Co., successors of the original firm. Democrat. Club: Missouri Athletic. Office: 19 8. 3d 8t. Residence: Webster Groves, Mo. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
W.H. FOBES, St Paul. Res 307 Laurel av, office Pioneer Press bldg. N W Fuel Co. Born Jan 5, 1870 in Brooklyn N Y, son of Nathan and Elizabeth (Keith) Fobes. Married 1905 to Gertrude Allen Kirk. Educated in the public and private schools Brooklyn N Y and high school Orange N J. Began his business career with H B Claflin & Co whol dry goods N Y 1880-1890; moved to St Paul and was engaged as clk with N W Fuel Co 1893; elected asst treas 1900, which office he still holds. Member of White Bear Yacht Club; Amateur Athletic Club. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]
Ralph C. Hartson
RALPH C. HARTSON, the editor and publisher of the Skagit News-Herald, is a native of Skagit county, born on the old Hartson homestead, one of the oldest places in the valley, across the river from Mount Vernon, December 20, 1880, the eldest of four children of George E. and Matilda (Gates) Hartson. The others are Mrs. Grace Earl, of Anacortes, Clifford, clerk in the Mount Vernon post office, and Earl Stanley, still living with his parents. The elder Hartson came to Skagit county in 1871 and is one of the oldest pioneers in point of residence in the valley. He is the present postmaster of Mount Vernon. When Ralph was six years of age his parents moved from their farm into town, his father having purchased the Skagit News from William H. Ewing. Young Hartson obtained his education in the local schools, being graduated from the ninth grade in 1895; later upon the addition of two other grades he resumed his studies until the course was completed. As a lad he studied the types in his father's printing office and soon advanced himself far enough to stand on a box in order to reach the cases. He learned from experience the mechanical end of a country newspaper and then entered the editorial department. On completing his course in school he took charge of the composing and press room, which position he left to become assistant postmaster. In 1902 he was mail weigher for three months on the Great Northern railway, resigning to accept a place as substitute clerk in the post office at Seattle. In September of 1902 he took entire charge of the Skagit News-Herald, the oldest publication in the Skagit valley, which he has since conducted through the vicissitudes of newspaperdom.
In September, 1904, the union of Mr. Hartson and Miss Edna Hadfield, of Ridgeway, was celebrated. Her father, George W. Hadfield, was born in England and came to the United States when a lad. In after years he became proprietor of a crockery store on Fulton street, Brooklyn, New York. He subsequently located in Seattle, and prospering, built a large store for his crockery and furniture business, but his fortune was wiped out in the monetary distress of the early nineties. He saved from the wreck his farm of eighty acres near Mount Vernon, to which he retired in 1898, since which time he has successfully carried on farming and dairying. The mother, Isabella (Evans) Hadfield, a native of Ireland, came to this country when a girl, and marrying in Brooklyn, came west with her husband. Their union was blessed with seven children, five of whom are living: Carrie, Belle, Harry, Gilbert and Mrs. Hartson. She was educated in the schools of Brooklyn, Seattle and Avon. Mrs. Hartson is an accomplished musician. Fraternally Mr. Hartson is connected with the Knights of Pythias, Odd Fellows, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Rebekahs and Rathbone Sisters. Politically he is an unwavering Republican. [An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman.]
Edward H. Kellogg
KELLOGG, Edward Henry; merchant and manufacturer, was born at Ira, Cayuga Co., N. Y., Sept. 1, 1828. He is descended from Asa Kellogg, who lived in Sheffield, Mass., about 1720. Tradition says that the family was originally Scotch, and that being partisans of King James of Scotland, they came with that prince to England, when he ascended the throne of Great Britain as James I. The paternal grandfather of Mr. Kellogg was a native of Sheffield, Mass., who removed to Saratoga county, N. Y. His father was Silas Kellogg, a plain, unassuming farmer, as were his grandfathers on both sides, but all were leading men of sobriety, sterling worth and influence in the communities where they lived and died; and their record of respectability has been admirably sustained through a long line of descendants. His maternal grandfather, Capt. James Simpson, who was also of Scotch descent, was a soldier in the war of the revolution, and did guard duty at the age of fourteen. Mr. Kellogg was educated at the Victory Academy and the Quaker Seminary at Venice, N. Y. He began his business career as a clerk in a store at Auburn and afterward at Rochester. He removed to New York city in 1851, and accepted a position as clerk in a commission house, in which he subsequently became a partner. In 1858 he commenced the manufacture and sale of lubricators, using as a basis animal and vegetable oils. Soon after the introduction of petroleum for illuminating purposes he saw the possibility of it as a lubricator, was one of the first to discover these properties, and after experimenting, succeeded in obtaining a product which has since been recognized as the standard for purity and excellence, both in this country and in Europe. These experiments led to the adoption of two different combinations, classified as "anti - corrosive cylinder oil" and "anti - friction machinery oil" which effected a complete revolution in lubricators, and to a great extent superseded the use of animal oils for this purpose, causing not only a saving of fifty per cent, in the quantity required to give a cleanly, cooling preparation for lubrication, but an equal saving in power, fuel, destruction of plant, and other injurious influences arising from defective lubrication. From the beginning of his experiments Mr. Kellogg aimed to produce a high-standard rather than a low-priced lubricator, believing that it would prove more economical in the end and give better satisfaction to the consumer. Starting out at the age of sixteen to work his way, he has, through courtesy, good judgment, patience, and business ingenuity, brought his productions deservedly to the front rank of appreciation and demand, as economical, machinery and trouble saving; and they are used by the largest finest, and tastiest steamships that float the oceans and lakes, as well as by the most carefully critical among miners and manufacturers in all departments of locomotion and propulsion. In 1876 Mr. Kellogg established a branch house in Liverpool, which has since become the distributing centre for all parts of Europe. The same principle that actuated Mr. Kellogg in the manufacture of the purest and best class of goods has governed him in all his transactions, and he is known to the business community as a man of the strictest integrity and uprightness of character. He has been for many years a resident of Brooklyn, where he is well known and highly esteemed in social circles, and has been for many years an honored member of the Masonic fraternity and an earnest advocate of the principles inculcated by the order. [Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1892, by James T. White & Co., N. Y.; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Homer S. Johnson
JOHNSON, Homer Sturtevant; born, Brooklyn, NY, June 21, 1880; son of Stephen Olin and Lilla (Sturtevant) Johnson; educated in Detroit School for Boys, and Columbia University. Became connected with the Penberthy Injector Co., manufacturers of the Penberthy Injector, steam specialties and lubricating devices, in 1900; was in manufacturing department, 1900-02, manager Canada plant, at Windsor, 1902-04, elected vice president and secretary of the Detroit company in 1905, and is now manager, manufacturing appliances for feeding boilers. Republican. Unitarian. Member Alpha Delta Phi fraternity, Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, university, Detroit Boat, Detroit Golf, OD Club, Columbia University Club. Recreations: Outdoor sports (was member of winning relay team at Columbia University; president freshman class, 1902) Office: Holden Av., and Grand Trunk RR Residence: 56 Rowena St. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
Elias Lewis, Jr.
LEWIS, Elias, Jr.; curator, was born at Westbury, L. I., Dec. 30, 1820. His early education was at a school in the neighborhood, and was very limited. He learned, in his father's shop, the trade of hand-loom weaving. In 1852 he removed to Brooklyn, and in a short time became connected, as partner, with the wholesale grocery house of Valentine, Bergen & Co., which connection was continued for over a quarter of a century. After his retirement from the firm he was elected president of the Brooklyn Bank, located a few rods from his former place of business, which position he filled for nearly ten years. He was one of the directors of the Brooklyn Institute, on Washington street, for several years, and was also connected, as director or trustee, with several financial and philanthropic institutions. In 1864 the museum department of the Long Island Historical Society was organized at the suggestion of Mr. Lewis, and he was placed in charge of the work. His associates on the committee of organization were Prof. C. E. West, Henry E. Pierreponi and J. Carson Brevoort. Mr. Lewis was one of the founders of the society, and has been a member of its board of directors to the present time. The work of the museum department has been to collect and preserve whatever may fitly illustrate the ethnology and natural history of Long Island; but a result of the work is a most instructive general collection of antiquities not from the island only, but from many other parts of the world. The enterprise has been liberally sustained by many friends, whose valuable contributions are now exhibited. It contains also a classified collection of specimens illustrating the geology of Long Island-its mammals, birds, reptiles, its land and marine plants, together with a miscellaneous collection of objects of scientific interest. The cases also contain a large number of objects of local historical interest and value. The work of arranging for exhibition this large collection has been almost entirely done by Mr. Lewis. Notwithstanding the defects of his early education he has been a hardworking and successful student, not only in literature, but in several branches of the natural and physical sciences. Mr. Lewis has been a frequent contributor to the local newspapers, giving the results of his study of the natural history of the island, and has contributed several papers to the " American Journal of Science" and the "Popular Science Monthly." [Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1892, by James T. White & Co., N. Y.; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Judge David P. Marum
Judge Marum was born near Tuxedo, New York, in 1847; read law and was admitted to the bar in said state residing at Brooklyn. He was descended from Dutch ancestors that settled in New York when it was a province under the jurisdiction of Holland. Coming west from Orange County, New York in the early 80's, at the opening of the Cherokee Strip in 1893 he was serving as United States Commissioner at Fort Supply and also acting as commissary, clerk, Fort Supply then being a government post and an extensive trade being carried on from said post with the Cheyenne, Arapaho and Kiowa Indians, it being the half-way point between Fort Dodge and Fort Reno. When the fort was abandoned about 1895 Judge Marum removed to Woodward and engaged in the practice of law. For a number of years he was associated with the late Temple Houston in the practice of law under the firm name of Houston, Marum & Grant, which was a leading law firm in that part of the country. Having been elected to the Oklahoma Territorial Senate (Council) he introduced a bill for the establishment of what is now known as the Northwest Teachers College, which, under his leadership, was passed and became a law. Whilst not being a candidate for other public office he was ever active as a private citizen in every movement for the upbuilding of that section of the Territory and State of Oklahoma, practically devoting his life to the welfare of the town and city of Woodward and Northwest Oklahoma. It was mainly through his untiring efforts and leadership that many worth while projects came to Woodward.
He was an active supporter of the movement to create one state out of Oklahoma Territory and Indian Territory, having been an active member of the "Razorbacks," an organization founded to promote said statehood movement. When the statehood bill was passed it was signed by the President with an eagle quill furnished by Judge Marum and "dad" Nall, another Oklahoma northwest pioneer, the quill now being in a collection of the Oklahoma Historical Society at Oklahoma City.
He was especially active in the movement to promote irrigation in the early days when rain fall was so small for that section of the territory, taking the lead in bringing about the holding of the Irrigation Congress in Woodward in 1909, which wasp looking toward the promotion of an irrigation project for the panhandle country. In 1910 he was manager of the campaign of John J. Gerlach for Congress.
The Federal Building at Woodward and the United States Field Station near there are monuments to his untiring and consistent effort toward the development of that city and country.
For the last nine years of his life he was the publisher and editor of the Woodward Democrat, being an intensive thinker and reader. Being an unselfish man he gave the best years of his service and thought without financial reward, electing to serve his friends and his country rather than being concerned as to material things.
If he had any living relatives they were not known. He was married at Tyler, Texas, in 1897 and immediately brought his bride to Woodward, who lived only two years and is remembered as a gracious and elegant woman. After her death he lived a life of reverence and devotion to her memory. He died at the Main Avenue Hotel on April 13th at 6:45 o'clock after a brief illness, and is buried at Woodward, Oklahoma. The issue of the Woodward Democrat of Friday May 31, 1929, was issued as a memorial to "David P. Marum, Western Pioneer and Outstanding Citizen." [Source: Pages 352-353, "Chronicles of Oklahoma", Volume 8, No. 3, September, 1930 - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
MITCHELL, NEAL, physician, surgeon, was born Oct. 21, 1855, in Jacksonville, Fla. He attended the Maine Wesleyan University, Lapham Institute, Amherst College, and several medical colleges of New York and Brooklyn, and in Berlin, Germany. In 1888 he was president of the board of health in the yellow fever epidemic in Jacksonville; and is one of the foremost physicians and surgeons in the south. [Herringshaw's Encyclopedia Of American Biography Of The Nineteenth Century: Accurate And Succinct Biographies Of Famous Men And Women In All Walks Of Life Who Are Or Have Been The Acknowledged Leaders Of Life And Thought Of The United States Since Its Formation, 1901 - TK - Sub. by a FoFG]
Henry Cruse Murphy
MURPHY, Henry Cruse, representative, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., July 5, 1810; son of John Garrison and Clarissa (Runyon) Murphy, and grandson of Dr. Timothy and Mary (Garrison) Murphy of Monmouth county, N.J. He was graduated from Columbia college in 1830; was admitted to the bar in 1833, and practiced in Brooklyn in partnership with John A. Lott, 1835, and afterward as Lott, Murphy & Vanderbilt. He was assistance corporation council in 1834, and afterward became city attorney and corporation council. He contributed articles to the Brooklyn Advocate and Nassau Gazette; to the Democratic Review and to the North American Review, and became a proprietor and editor of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle on its establishment in 1841. He was mayor of Brooklyn, 1842-43; a delegate to the state constitutional convention of 1846; a Democratic representative in the 28th and 30th congresses, 1843-45 and 1847-49; was named as an available candidate for the presidency in the Democratic national convention of 1852, and was U.S. minister to The Hague under Buchanan's administration, 1857-61. On his return to King's county he served for six terms in the state senate, 1861-73; raised the 159th New York volunteers in 1862, and was a delegate to the state constitutional convention of 1867-68. He was a founder of the new Long Island Historical society and of the Brooklyn City library and was president of the East River Bridge company and of the Brooklyn, Flatbush and Coney Island railroad company. He accumulated a valuable library on the history of America, of which he published a catalogue under the title A Catalogue of an American Library Chronologically Arranged (1853). He also published De Vries' Voyage from Holland to America, A.D. 1632-44, (translated, 1853); Broad Advice to the New Netherlands; The First Minister of the Dutch Reformed Church in the United States (printed privately, 1857); Henry Hudson in Holland (1859); Anthology of the New Netherlands, or Translations from the Early Dutch Poets of New York, with Memoirs of their Lives (1865); The Voyage of Verrazano (printed privately, 1875), and Memoir of Herman Ernst Ludewig in "Memorial Biographies of the New England Historic Genealogical Society." He died in Brooklyn, N.Y., Dec. 1, 1882. [Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
MURRAY, John M_Kane, author, was born in Glenariffe, county Antrim, Ireland, Dec. 12, 1847. He immigrated to New York with his parents, and was educated at St. John's college, Fordham, and was graduated in medicine from the University of the City of New York. He practiced medicine in Brooklyn, N.Y., until 1880, also devoting himself to literary work. He became a victim to phthisis, and spent the last five years of his life in seeking health. He spoke and read six languages, and contributed regularly to Roman Catholic periodicals. He answered the attacks made on the Roman Catholic church and its institutions, and was influential in securing the removal of many objectionable references to that church from text books. He revised Kerney's "General History," and was revising Lingard's "History of England" when he died. He received a medal and a letter from Pope Pius IX, for his Popular History of the Catholic Church in America (1876). He is also the author of: The Prose and Poetry of Ireland (1877); The Catholic Heroes and Heroines of America (1878); Little Lives of the Great Saints (1879), The Catholic Pioneers of America (1881), and Lessons in English Literature (1883). He died in Chicago, Ill., July 30, 1885. (Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
Henry van Schoonhoven Myers
MYERS, Henry van Schoonhoven, clergyman, was born in New York city, May 27, 1842; son of James and Mary Skidmore (Wright) Myers; grandson of Peter Michael and Mary (Van Schoonhoven) Myers and of Benjamin and Martha (Herriman)Wright, and great-grandson of Michael Myers, a soldier in the Continental army, wounded at the battle of Johnstown. He prepared for college at the Polytechnic institute, Brooklyn, N.Y., was a student at the University of the City of New York, 1860-63, and was graduated from Williams college, A.B., 1865, 1868. He was pastor of the Reformed Dutch church at Upper Red Hook, N.Y., 1871-74; of the South Reformed church of Brooklyn, N.Y., 1874-82; the American Reformed church at Newburg, N.Y., 1882-91; the Union Reformed church of New York city, 1891-94, and was installed as pastor of the Church of the Comforter, New York city in 1894. The University of the City of New York gave him the degree of D.D. in 1885. He was married, April 4, 1871, to Margaret Blanche Martin of New York city, and of his children, Angie Martin Myers became a physician and labored in Amoy, China, and Charles Morris Myers devoted himself to missionary work in Steel college, Nagasaki, Japan. (Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
Henry C. Potter
POTTER, Henry Camp, Jr., banker; born, New Utrecht, N.Y., Nov. 11, 1857; son of Henry Camp and Sarah (Farwell) Potter; educated in public schools of Saginaw, Mich., and Highland Military Academy, Worcester, Mass.; married, 1st, Saginaw, Jan. 23, 1884, Bertha Hamilton (now deceased); 2d, at Montclair, N.J., Oct. 23, 1904, Madeleine Lockett Bedloe. Began active career as clerk in general passenger department and continued in general manager's office, Flint & Pere Marquette R.R., Saginaw, 1875-81; secretary, 1881-84, secretary and treasurer, 1884-1900, and comptroller, same road, 1900-July, 1901. Vice president State Savings Bank, Detroit, July 1, 1901-Jan. 8, 1907; vice president People's State Bank (consolidation State Savings and People's State Bank) since Jan. 8, 1907. Also president First Commercial and Savings Bank, Wyandotte, Mich., Pere Marquette Coal Co., Saginaw (and several subsidiary coal companies), Packard Electric Co., Ltd., St. Catharines, Ont.; director and member executive committee Security Trust Co., Detroit; director Great Lakes Engineering Works, Home Telephone Co. (both of Detroit), Olds Motor Works and Olds Gas Power Co. (both of Lansing), Farmers' Handy Wagon Co., Saginaw. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Congregationalist. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Witenagemote. Office: Fort and Shelby. Residence: 666 Jefferson Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
SCANLON, Matthew, real estate and insurance; born, Brooklyn, N.Y., Mar. 15, 1855; son of Patrick and Sarah (Coffey) Scanlon; educated at Christian Brothers College, Detroit, 1860-65; married at Detroit, June 15, 1881, Catherine Slattery. Began as newspaper boy, 1865, and continued until 1871; engaged in teaming business for himself, 1871-77; salesman for self in woolen goods, 1877-92; has been member of firm of Grosfield & Scanlon, real estate and insurance, since 1892. Independent in politics. Catholic in religion. Member Catholic Mutual Benefit Association. Recreations: Hunting, fishing and traveling. Office: 983 Michigan Av. Residence; 807 W. Grand Blvd. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Sub. by Christine Walters]
Frederick A. Schroeder
SCHROEDER, Frederick A., mayor of Brooklyn, was born in Trier, Prussia, Germany, March 9, 1833. His father, who was a civil engineer in the service of Prussia at the time of the revolution of 1848, emigrated, for political reasons, in the spring of the following year to the United States, bringing his son with him, the mother having died the previous year. Frederick had a good school education before leaving Germany. When he arrived in this country he set out to earn his living by making cigars and soon became an expert at his trade. Before his majority he had accumulated money enough to establish a small business on his own account, in which he employed a dozen men. This was in a few years developed into a large concern under the name of Schroeder & Bon; but in the year 1868 the firm abandoned cigar-making and confined their business to the importation and handling of leaf tobacco. In 1867 Mr. Schroeder assisted in creating the Germania Savings Bank of Kings county and became its president an office which he has since held. In 1871 he was nominated for comptroller of the city of Brooklyn on the republican ticket, although he had, previous to that time, never formally joined any political party. He accepted the nomination and was elected by a handsome majority. In this position he distinguished himself by prosecuting in the courts a number of corrupt officials, and compelling them to make restitution of moneys collected for the city and illegally retained by them. He also introduced a new system of accounts and checks into all the departments, rendering dishonest practices more difficult. In 1876, after a heated contest, he was elected mayor over a prominent democrat. As mayor he continued his efforts in behalf of an honest administration of municipal affairs. He declined a re-nomination for the office, but in 1879 accepted a nomination for senator of the third district, and was elected over a republican who had the support of the democratic party at the polls. At Albany he made it his business to improve the conduct of public affairs in Kings county and the city of Brooklyn. He was the father of the new charter which gave to the mayor the sole power to appoint subordinate officials in that city, and introduced the act. subsequently passed, amending the state constitution in such a way as to limit the power of municipal authorities to incur indebtedness not exceeding ten per cent, of the assessed value of property in cities. Through laws introduced by him, the administration of public charities was reformed and entrusted to a board of commissioners, appointed by the supervisor-at large of Kings county. Mr. Schroeder declined a re-nomination, and retired from public life in 1881. He was again nominated for mayor in 1888 by the republican city convention, but declined to be a candidate. In the summer of 1891 his name was frequently mentioned as an available candidate for governor, but he never encouraged his friends to believe that he would accept the nomination if tendered. [Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1906, by James T. White, George Derby; Pgs. 140-193; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Silas H. Stringham
STRINGHAM, Silas Horton; rear-admiral U. S. navy, was born in Middletown, Orange Co., N. Y., in 1798, and entered the U. S. naval service as a midshipman, under an appointment dated June 19, 1810. His first service was with Com. Rodgers, on board the frigate President from 1811 to 1815. On Dec. 9, 1814, Stringham was commissioned as lieutenant, and the following year was transferred to the brig Spark, Capt. Gamble, which formed a part of Decatur's squadron in the Algerine waters and which helped to capture an Algerine frigate. In 1816, while the Spark was lying at Gibraltar, Lieut. Stringham performed a very brave act in saving three of the crew of a French brig which had capsized. Three years later Stringham was on board the Cyane, on the African coast on the lookout for slavers. He succeeded in capturing four, of which he was made prizemaster and sent home with his prizes. In 1821 he was promoted to a first lieutenancy and ordered to the Hornet, on the West India station, where he captured a noted pirate and slaver. In 1825 he was stationed at the Brooklyn navy yard, where he remained five years, at the end of which time he was ordered to the Peacock and sent out in search of the Hornet, which was supposed to have been lost. While this search was being prosecuted, he was ordered on board the Falmouth and sent to Carthageua. From 1830 to 1836 Lieut. Stringham was on shore duty and with the Mediterranean squadron, being commissioned commander March 3, 1831. In 1837 he was in command at the Brooklyn navy yard, and in 1841 was commissioned captain. In 1842 Capt. Stringham commanded the frigate Independence of the home squadron, but the next year returned to the navy yard, at Brooklyn, where he remained until 1846, when he commanded the ship-of-the line Ohio of the Pacific squadron. During the Mexican war his ship took part in the bombardment of Vera Cruz. Afterwards for a time Capt. Stringham commanded the Brazilian squadron; but m 1851 took charge of the Gosport navy yard. During the three following years he commanded the Mediterranean squadron, his flagship being the ill-fated Cumberland, which was sunk by the Confederate ironclad Merrimac, in Hampton Roads, on March 8, 1862. On the breaking out of the war of the rebellion, Capt. Stringham was appointed flag officer of the North Atlantic blockading squadron. In August of that year he commanded the naval forces in the attack and capture of Forts Clark and Hatteras, in co-operation with the land forces under command of Maj.-Gen. Butler. The garrison of Fort Hatteras was under command of Com. Barron, who had been for nearly fifty years an officer in the U. S. navy, and at one time in command of the Wabash, which was now attacking him. In. the end he surrendered with all his officers, 715 men, 1,000 stand of arms, 75 kegs of powder, five stand of colors, 31 cannon, and provisions, stores and cotton. This victory, the first after the Federal defeat at Bull Run, was hailed with enthusiasm throughout the North, Stringham's fleet returned to Fortress Monroe, and he was generally lionized; but this was followed by a reaction, when he was made the subject of abuse for not having taken his fleet into the sound and continued his victorious career; but it was afterward learned that he had simply obeyed orders, which were to return immediately after the destruction of the forts to Fortress Monroe; besides which it would have been impossible for him to have taken his squadron into the sound, as his vessels drew too much water to go over the bar. In the following month Flag-Officer Stringham at his own request was relieved of the command of the squadron, and it was generally believed that the request was made on account of the unjust blame which had been showered upon him. On July 16, 1862, Stringham was commissioned rear admiral. For the next two years he was on special duty. From 1864 to 1867 he commanded the Brooklyn navy-yard, and in 1871 became port admiral of New York. He continued to reside in Brooklyn until his death, which occurred in Brooklyn, N. Y., Feb. 7, 1876. [Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1892, by James T. White & Co., N. Y.; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails .