Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Lewis County
New York
Genealogy and History


History of Early Settlers



Brief Mention of Some of the Earliest Families who Settled in Martinsburgh.

Elijah Baldwin settled a short distance south of the village, on the State road. Died in Houseville, February 6, 1857, aged 84 years.


David Waters, originally of Salem, was a mill-wright and builder, and built the large frame house opposite the brick house of Doty, as a tavern. He died there March 25, 1843, aged 67 years.


John Waters, brother to the above, was a carpenter and farmer. His dwelling was half a mile south of the village on the State road, the same now owned by Martin Sheldon. He died February 20, 1843. His widow some years after married Charles Lee. His son, VanRensselaer Waters, was afterwards County Sheriff. John and George, other sons, settled in Utica.


Richard Arthur, ancestor of all of this name in the county, (so far as we have knowledge,) died in Westfield in 1790, aged 40 years, leaving eleven children, most of whom became heads of large families in this town. The sons were:

Bradford Arthur, who settled just north of the village, on the State road, and died there September 9, 1855, aged 82 years. He was a most intimate friend of General Martin. He came in 1803, and was several years, Supervisor, Coroner, etc. His only son, Warren Arthur, a wealthy farmer, died June 19, 1876, leaving a son, Franklin H. Arthur, now living on the farm his father owned. Mrs. Louisa Finch, a daughter of Bradford Arthur, and widow of Merlin Finch, died in this town August 16, 1882, aged 83 years.

Levi Arthur settled next north of his brother Bradford, and died November 28, 1853, at an advanced age. He had three sons, Orlando, Alfred and Levi, and several daughters, most of whom are still living.

Richard Arthur, died February 7, 1841, aged 64 years.

Russell Arthur lived on the East road, northeast of Martinsburgh village. He was the father of George Arthur and E. J. Arthur, of Lowville.

Joseph Arthur, died September 12, 1872, aged 86 years. Was the father of Augustus, Charles and Horatio Arthur, and had several daughters who became heads of families.

Elisha Arthur, died October 17, 1859, aged 75 years. He was the father of William Arthur, Flavius J. Arthur, John Arthur, Dwight Arthur, and several daughters.

Mrs. Arthur, the mother of the above named brothers, died in this town in 1815. She had tour daughters, who married early settlers, viz.: Mrs. Orrin Moore, Mrs. Elisha Tiffany, Mrs. Joseph Sheldon, (mother of the late Ira Sheldon,) and Mrs. Jerry Hillman. By far the greater part of the land taken up by the Arthur families along the State road from the village to the town line of Lowville, is still owned by their descendants.


Levi Adams was from Westfield, and settled in this town on the East road, and near the town line of Lowville. He was elected to the State Senate in 1819 and served four years, being in 1820, one of the Council of Appointment. He was often elected to town offices, and in 1815-'18, was Sheriff. He died June 18, 1831, aged 68 years.

Captain John Moore settled on the swell of land a little south of the residence of Warren Salmon, on the State road, between Martinsburgh and Lowville, where he was accidentally shot, as elsewhere noted.

Orrin Moore, died in 1827.

Chillus Doty, a brother-in-law of General Martin, was many years an inn keeper in Martinsburgh, and built the brick house in the north part of the village. He was Sheriff in 1805-'08, and 1811-'14, and Surrogate in 1815-23. He held the office of Assessor under the law imposing a direct tax, after the War of 1812-'15, and was several years County Judge. He died in this town October 16, 1824. Mrs. Sarah Doty was born August 19, 1767, and died September 11, 1843. James Duane Doty, their son, was born in Salem, N. Y., in 1799, and spent his boyhood in this town. In 1818, he removed to Detroit, and in 1820, became Secretary to Governor Cass. In 1839, he was chosen to Congress. In 1841, he was appointed Governor of Wisconsin Territory, and in 1848 was again elected to Congress. He was afterwards appointed Governor of the Territory of Utah, and died in June, 1865. His wife was a daughter of General Oliver Collins, of New Hartford, and a sister of Hon. Ela Collins, of Lowville. He is buried at Camp Douglas, near Salt Lake City, Utah.

Baron Steuben Doty, another son of Chillus Doty, settled in Ogdensburgh, and represented St. Lawrence County in the Assembly in 1826-27. He afterwards removed to Portage City, where he was living in 1860.

Silas Conkey married a sister of General Martin, and died in this town April 16, 1813, aged 54 years. His wife, Zuriah, was born May 19, 1763, and died October 16, 1849, aged 86 years.

William Miller was a house-joiner and from New Hampshire. He brought on his family in 1805, having worked in town the year before, and died in June, 1836. His son. Dr. David Miller, held the office of Sheriff, and various town offices, and died of heart disease, March 27, 1863, aged 70 years. His wife died eleven days before him. William Miller, another son, died in Martinsburgh village a year or two since.

John Atwater was from Westfield, and was, we believe, the first distiller in the county, his business dating from 1803. He lived a quarter of a mile south of the village, at a place some years a tavern, but returned in 1808 to Westfield, and died there. He sold his place in Martinsburgh to Enoch Lee.

Enoch Lee was the father of Winthrop Lee, Charles Lee, Enoch Lee, Shepard Lee, Lewis Lee and Williams Lee, afterwards well-known citizens of this town. Mr. Enoch Lee, Sen., died June 17, 1834, aged 77 years. His son, Charles, died June 12, 1868, aged 85 years, on the farm now owned by his son, Lafayette Lee. Enoch, the next son, died in Turin, May 11, 1874, aged 77 years. Shepard was a merchant, for many years in Martinsburgh, and afterwards at New Albany, Indiana, where he died in 1860. The two remaining sons removed to Milwaukee, Wis.

Joseph Sheldon, died in Antwerp, May 16, 1844.

The Tiffany families were from Montgomery, Mass., and settled in 1803. They settled in the eastern portion of the town, and were members of the first Methodist Episcopal class formed in this circuit. Daniel Tiffany died April 14, 1863, aged 82 years.

"Squire" Nathan Cheney, settled about half a mile south of the village, where there is an angle in the State road. He removed to Ontario county, and died in Richmond, N. Y., about 1826. Bishop Cheney, of the Reformed Episcopal church, is his grandson.

Justus Sackett settled on the north bank of the creek south of the village, where the State road crosses. He was from Westfield, Mass., and died February 28, 1831, aged 52 years.

Stephen Root was from Westfield, Mass., and died August 28, 1857. He was the father of Daniel and Avery Root, of whom the former was killed by a bull, July 13, 1862. He had several daughters who settled m the Western States.

Daniel Ashley was the father of Stephen, Daniel, Otis, Cyrus, and Rev. Riley B., all formerly of this town. He died June 18, 1816, aged 67 years. Ephraim Luce, mentioned in the preceding list, married one of his daughters.

Stephen Searl was from Westfield, and settled on the southern border of the town, where he died about 1830.

Enoch Thompson died March 3, 1845, aged 61. He held some years the office of Loan Commissioner, and kept an inn where Chillus Doty had lived in Martinsburgh village.

John McCollister was from Salem, and first settled on the farm afterwards owned by Charles Lee, a mile and a half south of the village. In fulfillment of a fortune-teller's prediction, which promised the possession of a large tract of valuable land, he sold his place about 1818, and went to Buffalo, where he kept a tavern for a while, and then went on with his family to come into possession of the estate which the hag had promised him. He placed his family on a boat in the Ohio and floated down to the Mississippi. He then ascended that river to the mouth of the Illinois, where he died of a fever with three of his sons, (John, Charles and Hamilton,) the survivors, some of whom were sick, having scarcely the strength to bury their dead. With great suffering the remainder of the family at length reached their destination, penniless and wretched. Of this family William, Saunders and Mary, were living in 1860.

Asahel Hough first settled in Leyden, removed to this town in 1802, and died near West Martinsburgh, October 6, 1842, aged 73 years. His wife, Abigal, died June 26, 1870, aged 96 years, 6 months. They were the parents of Eli B. Hough, of that place.

Lobdell Wood, died October 30, i860, aged 77, His wife Anna, died April 5, 1853, aged 73.

Samuel Gowdy, died April 19, 1840, aged 80 years. His son of the same name, died September 15, 1862, aged 76 years.

David Shumway, died December 5, 1849, aged 74 years. He was the father of Horatio Shumway, a lawyer, who died at Copenhagen.

Chester Shumway, died May 1, 1861, aged 82 years. The Shumway families were from Belchertown, Mass., and thrifty farmers, on the West road, about a mile south of West Martinsburgh village. The farm of Chester Shumway is now owned by his son of the same name.

Watson Henry, died March 10, 1836, aged 51 years.

Jonas Henry, died October 19, 1821, aged 77 years.

Jonas Henry, Jr., born November 18, 1776, died March 30, 1853.

Thomas Henry, died October 18, 1837, aged 25 years.

Mr. Alexander was from Chester, Mass. He died February 14, 1829, aged 86. His son Gains, died September 22, 1863, aged 79 years.


(Source: History of Lewis County, New York; with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches 1805-1883.  By Franklin B. Hough.  Published by D. Mason & co., Syracuse, N.Y.)

We will notice such of the settlers above named as our information enables us to do, in the order in which they have been mentioned.  In some cases it will be only an obituary date. [West Turin]

Joshua Rockwell, from Middletown Conn., died March 2, 1825, aged 83 years. He resided on the old Turin and Leyden turnpike road, where he was burned out and narrowly escaped with life, in an early period of the settlement.

Levi Ives was a brother of Major John Ives, and the father of Levi Silliman Ives, whose versatile religious career has attracted public notice. The father became despondent because he did not prosper in business and drowned himself in Bear creek near Black river, June 19, 1815. The son began his career as a Presbyterian theological student, and is remembered as one of the strictest of the faith, when a young man. He then became Protestant Episcopal; married a daughter of Bishop Hobart, and was chosen Bishop of North Carolina. From this he changed to Roman Catholic, and entered with great zeal upon the defense of the doctrines of that church.

Nathan Cole was from Middlefield, Conn., and died in this town February 27, 1845, aged 76 years.


Elisha Scovill came from Meriden, Conn. He had several children, who settled in this town and became heads of families. Hezekiah and Elisha Scovill were two of his family. Hezekiah Scovill died October 12, 1856, aged 75 years.

Daniel Higby was from Middletown, Conn. His children were Benjamin, Daniel 2d, and Moses. They lived on "Crofoot Hill," about half a mile east of the present Ebenezer church. The last named removed West.

Levi Hough, son of Phineas Hough, was born in Meriden, Conn., May 2, 1773. He removed to this town in 1798, and in 1814 exchanged land for a farm upon the river flats east of the village of Martinsburgh, then in the town of Turin, where he made notable improvements, and where he died August 23, 1853. His son, Phineas Hough, was the father of Levi R. Hough, a merchant in Martinsburgh. Another son, Oliver Hough, removed to Cleveland, O., where he died December 28, 1861, aged 65 years. Another son, Alfred Hough, became a Presbyterian clergyman, and settled in Oneida county, but died still a young man, while attending the sessions of a Presbytery at Philadelphia.

William Hubbard was said to have been the first to build a framed house in this town.

James Miller was the second son of Richard Miller. He came into town April 29, 1796, when eighteen years old, and died upon the farm he had cleared and cultivated, October 6, 1863, aged 83 years. Richard Miller died in Middletown, from the cutting of his foot by an adze, which caused a hemorrhage beyond control.

Ebenezer Allen was born in Middletown, Conn., February 15, 1769, and was a brother of Ichabod an of Willard Allen. His sons were Emory, William and James Allen, of whom the first only now resides in this town. He had four daughters. The sons of Willard Allen were Alphonson (who went to Louisiana), Zenas, Olney, Libanus and Hamilton. He had one daughter. Ebenezer Allen, the settler, died in this town March 1, 1829, aged 60 years. Willard Allen was a surveyor and a farmer, and died September 18, 1850, aged 77 years. Zenas Allen, his son, died November 26, 1869, aged 65 years.

Reuben Scovil, died July 9, 1846, aged 77 years.

Aaron Parsons, was the eldest son of the Rev. Stephen Parsons, a pioneer Baptist minister, noticed in our account of Denmark, and died August 26, 1854, aged 84 years. His son Aaron Parsons, Jr., was elected sheriff in November, 1849, and was in Assembly in 1855. Elder Stephen Parsons, above mentioned, was thrice married, and had eleven children, six of whom removed to the Black River country, before he removed himself from Whitestown. Of these Aaron has been mentioned as one of the first settlers. A daughter Eleanor, married Elisha Cone, and died in this town in August, 1853, aged 82 years. Stephen Parsons, a son, died in Denmark, in 1832, aged 56 years. Ichabod Parsons, lived in Denmark, was several years a County Judge, and died September 9, 1867, aged 91 years. Elihu Parsons, half brother to the above, died in Pompey, N. Y., in 1842. Betsey, a sister of the last named, married Elijah Clark, of Denmark, and died in 1833, aged 53 years. Comfort Parsons, a son of elder Stephen Parsons, by a third marriage, settled at Wales Centre, N. Y. Dr. Jonathan Parsons, served in the army in the War of 1812-15, and was taken prisoner. He died in Florida, July 30, 1820. His sister Sally Parsons, married Johnson Foster, of Turin. Grace Parsons, another sister, married Isaac Foster, and died in California, in 1859. Ann Parsons, the youngest of the family, married a Mr. Crane, of Denmark.

Elisha Crofoot, the ancestor of the families of this name in Turin and West Turin, was a native of Berlin, Conn. He removed from Middletown April 25, 1797, having spent the summer previous in this town, and died here March 29, 1813, in his sixtieth year. His wife, Rachael, died March 16, 1813. Their children were: Mary and John Crofoot, who never moved into the county; Isaac, formerly a County Judge, and afterwards removed to Fond du Lac, Wis.; Rachael, who died March 11, 1813; James, who died February 7, 1866, aged 74 years; Anson, who died July 23, 1825, and David, who died September 2, 1814.

Of the family of James Crofoot, Simeon B. died August 7, 1846, aged 19; James, Jr., died February 19, 1854, aged 33; Benjamin P., died May 30, 1863, aged 40; George, died March 30, 1864; Levi, died May 12, 1877, aged 59; and William, died April 13, 1879, aged 64. John Crofoot is a citizen of Constableville, and has been several years a supervisor of the town of West Turin. Elisha Crofoot is a citizen of Turin, of which town he was supervisor for several years. He has also held the office of sheriff one term.

James T. Ward, noticed a little further on as a sub-agent of Mr. Shaler, did not remain long in town. The following anecdote is related of him by Mr. Alson Clark, in a series of historical articles published by him relating to the early settlement of the county:

"As Mr. Ward was coming in from Fort Stanwix, he met at the toot of the long hill, now Lee Corners, two suspicious looking men, who went on before while he stopped at the inn. Two or three miles beyond he overtook them, when one of the men challenged him to wrestle, as Ward thought to try his strength, and if able, to rob him. He accepted the proposal, and having slightly fastened his horse a short distance beyond, took from his portmanteau a bottle of spirits to treat them with, before beginning the contest. He found some other occasion to return to his horse, when springing upon its back he soon disappeared, leaving the bottle in their possession."

Captain Ward returned to Middlefield, where his habits reduced him to poverty. A pleasing incident occurred near the close of his life. One of his settlers, who in paying for land had given several twenty dollar notes, found the relation of debtor unpleasant, and resolved to take them up. They were all written upon one piece of paper. They were thus written because' the law required them to be written upon "stamped paper," and were not collectable unless so written. Ward opened the paper, computed the sum due, and stated the amount at less than what was expected. Upon being told of this, he carefully revised his figures, assured the purchaser that it was all right, and gave them up with a receipt in full. The latter on going home discovered that one of the notes had not been unfolded. He had previously lost more money than this through Ward, and finally concluded to let the error offset the previous transaction, and kept the secret. About thirty years after, as he felt death approaching from a slow but incurable heart disease, this act came up before him, troubling his sleep, and haunting his waking hours with the chidings of a burdened conscience. He at length sought the advice of his family, and for the first time related the circumstances of the case. They at once agreed upon the only course that should be taken. Compound interest was reckoned upon the note, and nearly sixty-five dollars was placed in the hands of Mr. Nathaniel Moore, of Turin, who was about to make a journey to Middletown, and who was engaged to deliver this money in person to the owner, with an explanatory letter. The agent found Mr. Ward, enfeebled by age, but forced to earn a scanty support by day labor among the farmers. He had never detected the error, and read the statement with surprise and gratitude. This transaction, of itself, possessed no merit, for it was simply paying an honest debt; but it has too few parallels in the business dealings of mankind. It produced a still more marked effect upon the mind of the invalid, whose conscience was thus relieved. His widow, in relating to us the circumstance many years ago, informed us, that from that moment, there was a serene and settled peace of mind, surpassing anything she had ever observed before,-;-and thus he passed away.

Philemon Hoadley, son of Jacob Hoadley was from Westfield, Mass., and settled on the old French road, where it crossed the East road, south of Collinsville. He kept an inn there several years, and died January 8, 1811, aged 57 years. His father died aged 84 years. A son, Philemon Hoadley, Jr., was a settler in Martinsburgh. Lyman Hoadley, another son, died on the homestead near Collinsville, February 4, 1861, aged 79 years.

William Daniels died January 12, 1849, aged 88 years.

Ebenezer Wadsworth died in Vienna, N. Y.

Elijah Wadsworth died October 17, 1836, aged 72 years.

Seth Miller, Sr., and Willard Allen married sisters of these brothers.

Aaron Foster settled near the State road in this town in 1799, and died in Martinsburgh, April 3, 1858, aged 87 years. He was the father of Ansel Foster, and of the late Alburn Foster, of Lowville.

Ebenezer Baldwin settled between the villages of Turin and Collinsville, and died November 3, 1834, aged 68 years. His son, Edmund Baldwin, resided there till his death. May 3, 1861, aged 57 years. He was at that time Member of Assembly from Lewis county.

Cephas Clark was from Granby, Conn., and settled in 1801. He died December 1, 1854, aged 91 years, leaving several descendants, who settled on the road between Turin and Constableville. Homer Clark, one of these sons, died April 7, 1862, aged 70 years. His son, Alson Clark, a young man of much promise, died February 5, 1857, aged 36 years.

Rev. James Miller was a Methodist preacher, and died March 31, 1843, aged 67 years.

Rev. Levi Miller, brother of the preceding, was also a Methodist preacher, and removed some years after to Louisville, St. Lawrence county, where he died January 26, 1853, aged 73 years. A son of his name was a Member of Assembly from St. Lawrence county in 1854 and 1855.


Elisha Cone settled in 1798 and was the first tanner in Turin. He died June 28, 1828, aged 61 years.

Dr. Horatio G. Hough settled in 1798, and removed to Martinsburgh in 1805, where he died September 3, 1830, as further noticed in our account of that town.

Roswell Woodruff was from Berlin, Conn., and settled near Collinsville. In 1804 he exchanged his place with Richard Coxe, agent of the Castorland company, for 400 acres in Jefferson county, and removed to Jefferson county. Late in life he removed to New Hartford and died there. He was the father of Norris M. Woodruff, a conspicuous citizen of Watertown, who built the "Woodruff House" at that place. He resided in this town in early life, before settling in business at Watertown.

Richard Coxe belonged to an old and respectable family, on the Delaware, in New Jersey, and his sister Grace married James D. Le Ray. He came in 1800 to supersede Tillier in the agency of Castorland, and continued for some time to carry on the store which the French had established under Oboussier. He was appointed first County Clerk, and traded several years on the hill, a little west of Collinsville, where he built a stylish curb-roofed house and store that stood till recent years. He went off about 1816, and was afterwards many years a clerk in the Post Office Department at Washington. Charles C. Coxe, his brother, was several years consul at Tunis. Tench Coxe, another brother, was an early officer in the U. S. Treasury Department. Richard Coxe married a Miss Cunningham, a lady of superior education, who became insane. Some of the first county records are in her handwriting.


William Coleman [or Coolman] was an Alsacian, and settled on the Rees place near the High Falls. He removed some years after to Ohio and died at an advanced age at Ravenna, Portage county. His son of the same name became quite prominent in public life at that place.

Josiah P. Raymond, came with Coxe in 1800, as clerk in the French store at the High Falls, and afterwards settled on the road between Collinsville and Leyden, where he died at an advanced age. He was the father of Leicester J. Raymond, of Copenhagen.

(Source: History of Lewis County, New York; with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches 1805-1883.  By Franklin B. Hough.  Published by D. Mason & co., Syracuse, N.Y.)

Notice of Some of The Earlier Citizens OF Lowville, Engaged in Business or Professional Duties.

Subsequent to the settlement of Eager and Card, already noticed, James H., and Stephen Leonard came to reside in the village, and during many years conducted an extensive business.

The Leonard families of this town emigrated from West Springfield, Mass., and are descendants of John Leonard, who settled in Springfield in 1639. Abel and Josiah, probably sons of John, settled on the west side of the river, in 1660, and died in 1688 and 1690. James and Henry Leonard, sons of Thomas, and supposed to be related to these, removed from England before 1642, and built the first forge in America, at Taunton, Mass., in 1652. Mass. Hist. Coll., I., Series iii., 170.

The descendants of the latter were remarkable for a kind of hereditary attachment to the iron business, which led to the remark that "where you can find iron works, there you will find a Leonard." The name is somewhat common in New England, and in 1826, twenty-eight had graduated in the colleges of that section, of whom twelve were of Harvard.

The first emigrants of this name to the Black River country were sons of Elias and Phineas, sons of Moses Leonard. The sons of Elias Leonard were James H., Rodney, Loren and Francis Leonard, and those of Phineas Leonard were Stephen, Chauncey, Phineas and Reuben.

James Harvey Leonard was born at West Springfield, September 22, 1780, and first visited Lowville, in 1804, with Stephen Leonard. They came on horseback from Skaneateles, where they had been employed as clerks, with the intention of settling, and crossed from Rome to Talcott's. The roads were so rough and the settlements so rude, that they began to have serious doubts about finding a place that offered inducements, but as they reached the brow of the hill overlooking Lowville, the neat newly painted mansion of Judge Stow, and the thrifty settlement beyond, gave a cheerful aspect to the spot and determined their future course. They were on their way to Chaumont, but did not get nearer that place than Brownville, and returned through Redfield. J. H. Leonard began business in Lowville, September, 1804, and in January, 1805, was joined by Stephen Leonard. Before this they had leased four acres, at what is now the city of Auburn, for 100 years, at $4 per acre, and James H. Leonard had leased 50 acres, at $5, for 30 years. The latter lease failed from a refusal of Hardenburgh, the proprietor, to execute the papers, and the former was sold for $150 before a payment was made. James H. Leonard continued in the firm of J. H. & S. Leonard, just a quarter of a century, and remained in business here till his removal, in 1839, except one or two years at Skaneateles. This firm became widely known throughout northern New York. They supplied rations to the troops passing through the country, and in embargo times were largely engaged with business connections in Canada. They held during the war, a contract for supplying 40,000 gallons of whiskey for the navy, and owned one-half of a like contract of Allen & Canfield, making 60,000 gallons, at $1 per gallon, to be delivered at Sackett's Harbor. A change in the movements of the fleet, occasioned a transfer to New York, where most of it was finally delivered.

Mr. James H. Leonard was public spirited and benevolent, and was always among the foremost in every measure of public utility. He was an original trustee of the Academy, and an elder in the Presbyterian church until his removal from the county in 1839. He was also postmaster at Lowville, many years. He became deeply interested in the culture of the mulberry for silk, after his removal, and died at Syracuse, March 14, 1845. His remains were interred at Lowville. Mr. Leonard, in May, 1805, married Mary, sister of Russell Parish, who died in Lowville, May 19, 1871, aged 86 years. His brother Rodney, died in West Martinsburgh, August 13, 1852, and brother Loren, in Lowville. Francis Leonard, the youngest brother, lived in Brooklyn, where he died February 28, 1875, aged 82 years. Cornelius P. Leonard, was many years cashier of the old Bank of Lowville, and died October 17, 1863, aged 50 years. James L. Leonard, former president of the Bank of Lowville, and Francis K. Leonard, of Lowville, were sons of James H. Leonard.

Stephen Leonard settled in Lowville, early in 1805, and with the exception of a short interval, was engaged in mercantile business. As one of the firm of J. H. & S. Leonard, he was largely concerned in the manufacture of spirits, potash, &c., in milling, and in the trade in live stock, incident to the former. The first distillery in Lowville, was begun by this firm, in the fall of 1804, and the last one in the county, which had belonged to them, was burned February 16, 1842. He was many years trustee of the Academy, an original trustee of the Presbyterian society of the village, and for a long period treasurer of the Lewis County Bible Society. He married a daughter of General W. Martin, of Martinsburgh, and died May 13, 1869, aged 86 years.*

(*Chauncey Leonard, brother of Stephen Leonard, died in Pennsylvania. Phineas, another brother, resided in Denmark until his death, March 25, 1870, aged 74 and Reuben died in Brantford, Upper Canada.)

Samuel Austin Talcott was born in Hartford, Conn., in 1790, graduated at Williams college in 1809, studied law, in part, with Thomas R. Gold, and came to Lowville in 1812, where he entered into a law partnership with Bostwick, and remained three or four years. He then removed to Utica, and his politics becoming favorable to the then Republican party, he was appointed Feb. 12, 1821, to the office of Attorney General, which he held eight years. He died in New York March 19, 1836, the admiration and sorrow of his friends. Few men in our country have evinced more brilliant talents, a clearer perception of the great principles of law, or a more powerful and convincing eloquence than Mr. Talcott. His career was an impressive warning to those who apprehend no peril from the wine-cup.

Fortunatus Eager was from Lunenburg, Vt., and came the second or third year of the settlement. After trading about three years, he became a partner of William Card, and for several years he carried on the manufacture of potash quite extensively, thus aiding the settlers to means for paying for their lands. He went to Canada, near Brockville, in 1809, where he died. Mr. Card was a nephew of Rev. Peleg Card, an early Baptist minister, and died in Greenbush.

Major Melancthon Woolsey Welles was born in Stamford, Conn., Dec. 6, 1770; was some years a merchant at Albany, and removed from Lanesboro, Mass., in 1807. In 1809, he came to Lowville where he resided till his death, Feb. 27, 1857, aged 86 years. Mr. Welles was a son of the Rev. Noah Welles, and a descendant of Thomas Welles, whose son was Governor of Connecticut in 1655. He was related to the late Commodore Woolsey of Utica, and well known to the citizens of the county. From near the time of his removal to about 1830, he kept an inn at Lowville village. His dwelling was built at the time when it was hoped that the old academic building might become a court-house. It is the same as that now owned by George D. Brown.

Ela Collins was born in Meriden, Conn., Feb. 14, 1786, and died at Lowville, N. Y., Nov. 23, 1848. His parents were Gen. Oliver Collins and Lois Cowles. His father served seven years in the Revolutionary war as an officer in the Massachusetts troops. Soon after the close of the war he removed to Oneida county, N. Y., and purchased a fine farm, near New Hartford, upon which he resided until his death, Aug. 14, 1838. At the beginning of the last war with Great Britain he held the commission of Brigadier-General and commanded during the war, the militia of Oneida, Jefferson and Lewis counties. He succeeded Gen. Jacob Brown in the command of Sackett's Harbor, which position he retained till near the close of the war. Ela Collins was educated at the Clinton Academy. He read law in the office of Gold & Sill, at Whitesboro, and commenced law practice at Lowville in 1807. He married Maria Clinton, daughter of the Rev. Isaac Clinton, July 11, 1811, who died in Cincinnati, Sept. 5, 1871, aged 81 years. They had eleven children. On the 15th of March, 1815, he was appointed District Attorney for the district composed of Lewis, Jefferson and St. Lawrence counties, which office he held several years, until the districts were reduced to single counties. He was then appointed to the same office for Lewis county, successively until 1840, when he resigned, having held the office for 25 years. He was elected in 18 14, a member of the Assembly, and was in the Legislature when peace was proclaimed. He was a member of the N. Y. Constitutional Convention of 1821. In 1822 he was elected from the double district of Lewis, Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Oswego, as a member of the i8th Congress. He was Secretary of the last Congressional caucus for the nomination of President, when William H. Crawford was nominated. He was for many years a trustee of the Lowville Academy.

As a lawyer, Mr. Collins attained a high position. He was an excellent and successful advocate and criminal prosecutor. His manner of presenting a case to a jury was clear, forcible and admirably fair. His speeches were always sensible, candid and to the point. And he had rare ability in presenting the questions at issue, in stating the facts, and in argument upon them. His integrity was unsullied, and his manners were simple, cordial and unaffected. In politics he was a Republican of the school of Jefferson. For several years he voted the local Anti-Masonic ticket. He was highly respected and popular throughout the section of the State where he was known.

William Collins, one of his sons, studied law with his father ; was appointed District Attorney of Lewis county in 1845, and held two years, when he was elected to the 30th Congress. He removed to Cleveland, Ohio, and died there.

Francis Collins, another son, entered at West Point as cadet, in 1841; became Second Lieutenant in the 4th Artillery July 1, 1845, and First Lieutenant by brevet, "for gallant and meritorious conduct in the battles of Contreras and Cherubusco," on the 27th of August, 1847. In the former of these he was wounded. He became First Lieutenant in September, 1847, and resigned December 11, 1850. He settled as a lawyer in Columbus, Ohio, where he died a year or two ago.

The youngest son of Ela Collins was Isaac Clinton Collins, who was born in Lowville, January 2, 1824, graduated at Yale college in 1846, and settled in Cincinnati as a lawyer in 1848, becoming a member of the firm of Matthews, Keys & Collins, and in 1853, in the firm of Collins & Herron. In October, 1857, he was elected to the Ohio Legislature, and served in 1858-'59. In October, 1859, he was elected Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and in 1873, was a candidate for Governor on the ticket of the "Peoples' Party." After this he identified himself with the Democratic party, and in 1876, was a delegate to the National Convention. He died at Cincinnati, after a short illness, July 29, 1879.

Russell Parish was born in Branford, Connecticut, Oct. 27, I789, and graduated at Yale college, in 1813, in the same class with Professor Fisher, who was lost in the Albion, Professors Olmstead, Douglass and Mitchell, and Judges Badger, Longstreet and Kane, and other distinguished persons. He was employed in November of the same year as Principal of the Lowville Academy, and in 1814, he began the study of law with Mr. Bostwick. In due time he was admitted to the Bar, and spent the remainder of his life in Lowville, chiefly in the practice of his profession in which he was regarded as learned, judicious and able. An incident in the professional life of Mr. Parish has some degree of permanent interest.

The first trial for a capital crime in the county, was that of Rachel, a servant of I. W. Bostwick, for setting fire to her master's house, and was held before Judge Platt, about 1821. The accused was about eighteen years old, and of bad temper, but as the damage had been slight, the public sympathy in her behalf was strong. The sentiment of that day had not favored commutations or pardons, and an execution must have unavoidably followed conviction. The defense was conducted by Micah Sterling and Russell Parish, and as the trial commenced, the latter evinced an elastic buoyancy of spirit which Appeared to be unwarranted by the occasion, until it appeared upon the reading of the indictment a second time, that the prosecuting attorney had accidentally omitted the word "inhabited" before "dwelling," and that the trial had reached such a stage that amendment was not admissible. The prisoner upon learning that she would not be hung, from abject terror evinced the most extravagant joy, which met with a sympathizing response in the hearts of many present. She was subsequently tried for arson of lower degree, and died in State's prison.

In 1846, Mr. Parish represented the county in the Convention for revising the Constitution. He died February 21, 1855, and the Trustees of the Academy and members of the Bar testified their respect for his character by calling meetings to express their sympathy with his family and by attending his funeral in a body.

Charles Dayan was born July 16, 1792, at Amsterdam, New York, and is a son of Charles Dayan, an Austrian emigrant, who died in 1793, leaving him an infant in charge of his widowed mother, in very indigent circumstances. He remained with Zachariah Peterson till fourteen years of age, and went to Elliott's Mills in Amsterdam, from whence, in August, 1809, he came to Lowville. After working at chopping, and upon Heman Stickney's oil-mill (on the site of Mr. Gowdy's tannery), he began going to school at the Academy. He was then entirely ignorant of the rudiments of learning and was placed at first in a class of small children, but by great industry and the aid of a Mr. Obits, an old friend of his father in Germany, he made such rapid progress that in a few months he was able to engage a school in Rutland. He taught four winters in the same district at a monthly price of twenty bushels of wheat, which he sold at $2 per bushel. He entered Bostwick's law office in 1816, and in 1819, was admitted to practice.

From this time, till within a few years, he has been actively engaged in his profession at Lowville, except when withdrawn by the duties of the public offices to which he has been elected, having been at different times in partnership with Edmund Henry, Hiram Carpenter, Russell Parish and Ziba Knox. In 1820, Mr. Dayan was appointed by LeRay and the Brown family, an agent for settling certain lands east of the river, and he continued agent of the former until 1833. In 1826, he was elected to the State Senate to serve out the unexpired term of two years, occasioned by the resignation of George Brayton, and in the extra session, convened in the fall of 1828, to adopt the Revised Statutes, he was elected October 7th, President pro. tem, of the Senate. As the office of Governor was then filled by Pitcher, elected as Lieutenant Governor, Mr. Dayton became charged with the duties of the latter office. He presided over the Senate until its adjournment, December 10th, and was virtually Lieutenant Governor till January 1, 1829.

On the 26th of January, 1829, he became a candidate for Comptroller, against Silas Wright, Jr., in the Legislative Republican caucus, in which Wright received 58, Dayan 26, G. B Baldwin 12, N. Pitcher 4, and G. Sudam 1 vote.

Mr. Dayan was elected to the 22d Congress (1831-'33)from the 20th district and in 1835, and 1836, was elected to the Assembly upon the canal issue. Mr. Francis Seger was then in the Senate, and to these two gentlemen are we largely indebted for the passage of the act for constructing the Black River canal, a work, which, after more than twenty years of delay, was at length completed. On the 14th of March, 1840, Dayan was appointed District Attorney for Lewis county, and held this office five years, discharging its duties with his accustomed discretion and ability. Several years before his death, Mr. Dayan was compelled to retire from business from the infirmities of age, but he still remained in comfortable health and both intelligent and earnest in conversation when the subject turned upon the events of early years. He died December 25, 1877, at the age of 85.

Paul Abbott was born in Pomfret, Conn., in May, 1783, and with his father moved into Clinton, Oneida county, in 1799. Buying his time of his father he served an apprenticeship with Mr. Joseph Blake, of Whitestown, as a tailor. He settled in Lowville in 1805, and opened a shop and kept goods in his line of business. He first lived in the Captain Rogers house, nearly opposite the Baptist church, which was the first framed dwelling-house erected in the village. He opened his shop in a small building on the south corner of his lot opposite the Academy grounds. He erected the brick house, afterwards the residence of the Knox family, and it was the second brick house erected in the village. Captain Rogers having built the first one on Shady Avenue, on the site of the present residence of Mrs. John Doig. He had the walls of the house up and was busy putting on the roof timbers when he received the call summoning him with his command of troops to go to Sackett's Harbor to assist in repelling the expected invasion of the British troops. Leaving the building unfinished, and a sick wife and young babe, he obeyed the summons, and was gone from his home almost two months. He was Chairman of the Building Committee of the old Academy, and in the discharge of his duties as such, he caught the cold that finally caused his death, in 1831. The State gave to the Academy 640 acres of land, in the town of Canton, St. Lawrence county, to aid in the erection of the building which he purchased of the Trustees. He was for many years a member of the Board of Trustees of the Academy, and was, at the time of his death, one of the deacons of the Presbyterian church. He died greatly esteemed and lamented.

Ziba Knox, for several years a law partner of Dayan, was a native of Vermont. He came to Lowville about 1817, acquired his profession, and resided at this place, employed in legal practice and as a magistrate, until his death, which occurred September 6, 1868, at the age of 71 years. He was many years a Trustee of the Lowville Academy, and deserved the esteem in which he was generally held.

Vivaldi R. Martin, a native of Saratoga county, settled in Martinsburgh as a lawyer, from whence he removed to Lowville. He died August 8, 1850, aged 31 years. His brief career was brilliant and honorable. Possessing talents of a high order, fine oratorical powers and a thorough education, he would have adorned the highest station of public trust had his life been spared to the full term of human life.

Dr. David Perry was born in Princeton, Massachusetts, September 13, 1775, studied medicine with Dr. Westel Willoughby of Newport, New York, and settled in Denmark in August, 1806. In September, 1808, he married Miss Nancy Hulburt of Holland Patent, who died in November, 1812. In April, 1809, he settled in Lowville, (the first two years in company with Dr. Samuel Allen) and continued in the practice of medicine until November, i858,when, in consequence "of a paralytic attack, he was deprived of further means of usefulness in the profession in which he had been eminently successful. Although stricken, and rendered helpless, he survived until August 31, 1863, when he died in Rutland, at the age of 83 years. His first wife died in November, 1812. The Rev. Isaac Clinton preached the funeral sermon from Thessalonians, 4:13, which was printed in pamphlet form.

Dr. Perry was greatly respected by his professional brethren for the soundness of his judgment and the acuteness of his preception with regard to disease, and they uniformly regarded his diagnosis and treatment as eminently governed by a clear mind and an intelligent understanding.

He evinced a great fondness for rural pursuits, and in the intervals of an extensive practice, found time to devote much attention to his orchard and garden, which were celebrated for the extent and variety of their productions and the precise order in which every thing was kept. His orchard contained about seventy varieties of fruit.

His place in Lowville village is now owned by Leonard C. Davenport. Dr. William Thompson married a daughter of Dr. Perry, and died September 9, 1848, aged 45 years.

Andrew W. Doig, a native of Washington county, is a son of Andrew Doig, who was born in Perthshire, Scotland, Feb. 29, 1776, removed to Lowville in 1809, and died March 11, 1854. He was many years a teacher and surveyor. A. W. Doig was elected County Clerk in 1825, for one term. He was in the Assembly in 1832 and held the office of Surrogate from 1835 to 1840. He was elected by the Democratic party to the 26th and 27th Congresses (1839 to 1843) while Lewis was united with Herkimer as the 16th district. In 1849, he joined the general exodus to California, and a few years after returned to Lowville, where he continued to reside till late in life. He then removed with his son-in-law, E. G. Morris, to Brooklyn, and died in Green Point, Brooklyn, (E. D) July 11, 1875. His remains were taken back to Lowville for burial. He was many years a Trustee of the Lowville Academy. His brother, James Doig, was formerly a merchant in Lowville, afterwards a ticket agent in the railroad office at Boonville.

John Doig, a half-brother of A. W. Doig, was a druggist in Lowville, and died November 15, 1867, aged 48 years. He was a Trustee of the Lowville Academy, and one of the promoters of the organization of the Lowville Rural Cemetery, and was almost the first one buried there.

Joseph A. Northrup, from Vermont, settled at an early period as a tanner and conducted this business and that of harness making many years. He was, we believe, the pioneer in these pursuits in this town, and died July 26, 1870, aged 86 years. General Northrup took an active interest in public affairs, and was a Trustee of the Lowville Academy, and a leading member in the Presbyterian Society. Being politically a decided abolitionist, at a time when that party numbered but a very few individuals, he was not honored by an election to several offices for which he stood a candidate, and for which he was eminently qualified. He was influential in whatever measures he undertook, and widely esteemed for his intelligence, sound judgment, and moral worth.

The Rev. Orrin Wilbur was a son of David Wilbur, one of the pioneers upon Stow's Square, in Lowville, and spent the best of his working days in this county. He was a Baptist clergyman many years; afterwards a book-seller, and for many years an Academy Trustee and Secretary of the Board. He resigned this position November 5, 1866, and removed to Vineland, N. J., where he died March 31, 1878, aged 80 years. He expressed to the author of this volume a few years before his death, an intention of making the Academy the legatee of a part of his estate, but this resolution appears to have been changed before his death. His remains were brought to Lowville for interment.

Gen. Joseph A. Willard, was born at Hubbardton, Vt., April 26, 1803, and was a son of Francis Willard. He removed to Lowville upon becoming of age, having previously learned the trade of a clothier, and in later years was manufacturer of stocking yarn at Lowville. In 1858-59, he represented Jefferson and Lewis counties in the Senate. Murphy's Biographical Sketches of the Legislature, 1859, page 112.

He died in this town August 18, 1868, aged a little over sixty-five years.

Dr. Sylvester Miller, son of Seth Miller, one of the first settlers at Constableville, settled in Lowville in 1817, having graduated with the first class in Fairfield, January 30, 1816. He was appointed sheriff in 1821, and from 1823 to 1835, was surrogate. He was called from bed in the night, July 28, 1838, to visit the sick, and mistaking a door in his own house, fell headlong down the cellar stairs. His skull was fractured, and after lingering two days unconscious, he died. He was President of the Lewis County Medical Society at the time of his death.

Dr. Seth Adams, settled in the practice of his profession at Lowville in the spring of 1826. He was a native of New Hampshire, and a graduate of the Fairfield Medical College. He continued to practice his profession until a year or two before his death, which was caused by cancer, April 7, 1873, at the age of 71 years. His wife, who was a sister of the Hon. Ela Collins, died April 13, 1879, at the age of 71 years. His son, Charles D. Adams, was long a lawyer in Lowville, but has for some years resided in Utica. He often attends the courts in the county, in which he has had much practice.

(Source: History of Lewis County, New York; with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches 1805-1883.  By Franklin B. Hough.  Published by D. Mason & co., Syracuse, N.Y.)

Some notice of these pioneer families properly belongs to the history of the early settlement of this town. [Stow's Square]

Jesse and Roswell Wilcox, were brothers, sons of Adam and Esther Wilcox. Going back another generation, it is found that Adam was the son of Joseph and Rebecca Wilcox. Adam was born April 1, 1734, and Esther (Post), Feb. 22, 1739. The children of this family were: Reuben, born Sept. 20, 1764, died March 25, 1770; Elisha, born Oct. 2, 1768, died in Leyden; Rebecca, born Sept. 1770, (Mrs. Moses Waters); Jesse, born June 8, 1774, died in Stow's Square in recent years, at an advanced age he was the father of David Waters, late of Lowville, who died Dec. 10,1880, aged 77; Roswell, born June 22, 1778, died Oct. 1, 1851. The family came from Killingworth, Connecticut.

The Davenports of this town are descendants of Thomas D., who settled at Dorchester about 1640, and died, Nov. 9, 1685. His third son, Jonathan (born, March 6, 1658, and died, Dec. 1, 1680), had seven sons, the youngest of whom named Benjamin, was the father of the emigrants named in the text. He was born Oct. 6, 1698, and died about 1785, at Spencertown, N. Y. His family consisted of four sons and three daughters, viz:

Samuel, who died in Sheffield, Connecticut; Hannah, who married ---- House; Billa, who settled in this town, and had two sons and four daughters John the eldest son, settled in Delaware county, and gave name to the town of Davenport, he died wealthy Billa settled in this town; Charles, born April 15, 1751, married Elizabeth Taylor in 1778, and died, Dec. 12, 18 12. (His children were, Benjamin, born Nov. 15, 1778, died in Turin, Feb. 19, i860, Ira, born May 9, 1787, died May 19, 1819, Sally, born Nov. 7, 1782, died ----, Betsey, born Nov. 17, 1791, Charles, born Oct. 23, 1784, married May, 1814, to Anna Cole, died July 28, 1855, Alexander, born Oct. 25, 1780, died Jan. 20, 1851, Roxanna, born Aug. 1, 1796, married Rev. J. Blodget, Ashley, born Feb. 11, 1794, removed to Copenhagen in 1825, and died there Feb. 10, 1874, aged 80 years;) John B., born Feb. 18, 1798, died in Indiana in 1819; Jonathan, married a Culver; Sally, married a Clark; Zerphiah, married a Bliss.

Captain Isaac Perry, was originally from Rhode Island, but had settled in Hancock, Mass., from whence he removed to Granville, Washington county, then to Palmerstown, (now Northumberland), Saratoga county, thence to Westmoreland, Oneida county, and finally to Lowville, where he arrived June, 1799. He settled upon a farm a little south of Stow's Square, upon a line of road which was afterwards removed further eastward, to avoid the hills, in going towards Lowville village, having the year previous located land. One of his daughters married Fortunatus Eager, the first merchant ; another a Buell; another Isaac W. Bostwick. He had served in the Revolution, and was related to Commodore Perry. His death occurred November 19, 1840, at the age of 81 years.

In the legal controversy resulting in the defeat of the trustees of the Lowville Academy in attempting to hold the bequest intended to be given them by Mrs. Hannah Bostwick, her heirs at law, constituting the living descendants of Captain Isaac Perry, acquired the property and the official record of these proceedings would show their names and residences at a recent date.

The Bassetts we believe were originally from Martha's Vineyard, Mass., and the two of this name above mentioned were brothers. They came from Montgomery county to Lowville.

(Source: History of Lewis County, New York; with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches 1805-1883.  By Franklin B. Hough.  Published by D. Mason & co., Syracuse, N.Y.)

[Town of Lewis]
The following are dates of death of several well-known citizens of this town, not elsewhere mentioned in these pages, some of them having been early settlers:

Anken David, died July 19, 1863, aged 55-

Bell Henry G., died September 15, 1847, aged 59.

Billings Horace, died October 12, 1848, aged 42.

Ernst Christian, died November 22, 1874, aged 79.

Fox Ashbel, died November 13, 1860, aged 64.

Hunt Darius, died August 16, 1872, aged 100 years, 2 months, 7 days.

Hunt Elisha, died April 3, 1822, aged 41.

Kent Enos, died September 29, 1841, aged 57.

Maurer Frederick, died March 13, 1868, aged 80.

Pease Charles, died March 16, 1881, aged 75.

Terry Levi, died March 19, 1836, aged 66.

(Source: History of Lewis County, New York; with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches 1805-1883.  By Franklin B. Hough.  Published by D. Mason & co., Syracuse, N.Y.)

[Town of Lowville]

Dr. William Darrow, was the first physician in the north part of the town, and lived upon Stow's Square. He was from Hebron, N. Y., was a Member of Assembly in 1812, and died January 8, 1815, aged 44 years.


Moses Coffeen, first bought on the East road, but sold in 1804, and bought 300 acres on the West road, from whence he removed to Jefferson county and died in Rutland, July, 1835. His brothers Henry, David and William, were pioneers in that county.


Benjamin Hillman, died of paralysis, in Turin, about Oct. 1, 1834.


Jacob Eblie, from Montgomery county, died Dec. 15, 1857, aged 82 years.


John Shull, who was from Montgomery county, died March 27, 1827, aged 82 years. Mrs. Abigal Shull died in Antwerp, August 26, 1881, aged 95 years. Conrad Shull, died in Lowville, May 29, 1866, aged 84 years.


Richard Livingston, was from Johnstown, but was connected with the families of this town in Columbia county. He died Nov. 4, 1865, aged 92 years, 8 months.

He was the son of Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Livingston, who was born in 1743, and belonged to the regiment commanded by his brother, Colonel James Livingston. This regiment was made up of Canada refugees, who joined the American cause and assisted in the expedition under General Montgomery, against Quebec, and in various other operations in the Revolutionary war. Mr. Richard Livingston, of this town, married Mrs. Charlotte Bush, (maiden name Peck,) and their children were :--

John, born June 23, 1799, married Nancy Standring; Stephen, born August 22, 1803, married Anna Belcher, September 13, 1826; Richard Montgomery, born January 20, 1806, married Anice Humphrey; Henriette E., born April 3, 1813; Permelia, born July 17, 1815, married Otis Searl; Margaret, born November 2, 1820, married Wilson Phelps; Edward, born September 30, 1822, married Amanda Curtiss ; Edwin (twin brother of Edward), married Adaline Stoddard.


Zeboim Carter, was from Westfield, Mass., and served as a Colonel in the War of 1812-'15. He died in this town April 22, 1853, aged 81 years.


Ebenezer Hill was born in Ashton, Ct., being the 3d child of Captain Squier and Dorothy (Walker) Hill, and grandson of Zacheus and Molly (Squier) Hill. He removed with his father to Wales, Mass., and from there to Bowman's Creek, in Montgomery county, about four miles south of Canajoharie. In 1799, he came with his brother-in-law Noah Durrin to Lowville. Here he married Betsey Hurlbut, daughter of Joshua Hurlbut.


Noah Durrin, the second child of Oliver and Sarah (Ford) Durrin, was born in Litchfield county, Conn., August 25, 1774. His father died a prisoner of war on the Jersey prison ship, and he received such education as could be obtained in the common schools by a boy bound out by the town authorities ; when about fifteen years of age, he was apprenticed to a carpenter and millwright. In 1797, he married Elizabeth Hill, and removed with the Hill family to Montgomery county, N. Y., and from there removed to Lowville. He experienced religion under the preaching of Lorenzo Dow, and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, from which he withdrew and united with the Methodist Protestant church. His wife, Elizabeth, died Dec. 14, 1841, and he married second Mrs. Hannah Pinney, Nov. 21, 1841. He died January 21, 1853. His only child Electa Durrin, was born Oct. 8, 1799, married Adam Comstock Dec. 29, 1831, and died Dec. 10, 1836.

Their only son Noah D. Comstock, was born in Lowville, Nov. 22, 1832, removed to Calhoun county, Mich., in 1850, thence to Indiana in 1851, and from there across the plains to California, in 1853. He returned in 1855, and settled at Arcadia, in Wisconsin, where he now resides. He has held several important county offices, was in the Assembly in i872-'74-'75, and '76, and was elected State Senator in 1882, as an Independent, receiving 3,224 votes against 1,711 for M. Mulligan, the opposing Republican candidate, he being of the same political party.


James and Garret Boshart, were from the Mohawk settlements in Montgomery county, and were the heads of two of several German families who came from that section, among whom were Shull, Eblie, Snell, Herring, Van Atta, etc. Mr. Garret Boshart, bought the farm on the slope north of Lowville village, and his smooth, ample and neatly fenced fields were long the model for whoever might be emulous of his success in farming. He died May 4, 1845, aged 76 years. His farm still belongs to the family, and the house that he built is the present residence of his son Charles H. Boshart.  James the brother of Garret Boshart settled upon an adjoining farm north of the one above mentioned.


Pardon Lanpher, the first settler of this name, removed from Westerly, R. I., in 1797, to Whitestown, and from thence to Lowville in March, 1800. He died Feb. 27, 1827, aged 82 years. He settled on the road between the Number Three road and the West road, still locally known as "Lanpher Street." His son of the same name, died Dec. 31, 1881, aged 93 years. Abel Lanpher, a cousin of the latter was living a few months since, and we believe still, aged 94 years.


Mather Bosworth, was from Westmoreland, and died May 17, 1850, aged 84 years. He resided upon Stow's Square. Fenner Bosworth, a son, died in Lowville village, about i88o, and his widow Electa, died March 14, 1881, aged 86 years. Constant Bosworth, father of Mather B., died June 21, 1826, aged 80 years.


David Wilbur, was from Worthington, Mass., and died Dec. 27, 1829, aged 60 years. He resided upon Stow's Square.


Robert Barnett, died August 13, 1828, aged 67 years.

(Source: History of Lewis County, New York; with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches 1805-1883.  By Franklin B. Hough.  Published by D. Mason & co., Syracuse, N.Y.)






BACK -- HOME



Genealogy Trails