Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Monroe County
New York
Genealogy and History














Church Records and Their Histories


THE BAPTIST CHURCH OF PERRINTON

was organized prior to 1820, with Elder Spender, pastor and Deacon E. Bateman, B. Slocum and wife, Lydia Anna, wife of Elisha Slocum, Mrs. Hezekiah Peterson and daughter, and others. Services were held in school houses for a number of years. Elder Noyce was pastor for a time. About 1838 a division arose, and the society disbanded. On January 8, 1842, a meeting was held in the Joy school-house, now district No. 12, at which Elder Charles Howe was moderator, and Justus Beardsley clerk. John Badlong, John Walker, Hannah Walker, Sylvia Curtis, Cynthia Noyes, and Ursula Noyes adopted articles of faith and church covenant. Six were received into conference by letter, and Joel and Lucinda DeLand were candidates for baptism.

On February 2, 1842, the society was legally organized as the "Perrinton Baptist Church," by a council composed of ministers and brethren from adjacent towns. Harvey Munger was a temporary pastor. In May, 1842, Franklin Woodward became the first pastor, and during his three years' labors one hundred were added to the church. The following named supplied the pulpit temporarily, and as pastors, viz: Elders Griswald, Charles DeLand, Franklin Woodward, I. L. Richmond, Henry Stanwood, O. D. Taylor, J. H. Castle, J. Williams, Goodspeed, I. Fargo, Merrill Forbes, Byron P. Russell, Montgean Weaver, Eben Little, Biddle, Eleazer Savage, and David McFarland. I. Fargo remained seven years, and Elder McFariand has entered upon his sixth year. The pastor's salary has varied from three hundred dollars without parsonage, to twelve hundred dollars with parsonage. In 1871 a parsonage was purchased at a cost of three thousand two hundred dollars.

There have been added to the church three hundred and fifty by baptism, two hundred and seventy-five by letter. Total, six hundred and twenty-five. The present membership is two hundred and eighty-eight. Hiram R. Moreley, Charles Howe, and Thomas Niltsie were the first deacons. The superintendents of the Sabbath school are H. A. DeLand and Deacon Nathan Case. There are thirty-three officers and teachers, four hundred and three scholars, and a total of four hundred and thirty-six.

The first church building was erected in 1842. It was removed to make way for the fine structure now in process of construction. The estimated value of the building when finished will be thirty thousand dollars. The corner-stone was laid August 28, 1876. Within a tin box many records and relics were deposited for the generations to follow. The services were performed by various pastors, among whom were L. A. Crandall and D. McFarland. The building committee are H. A. DeLand, G. L. G. Seeley, Wm. M. Newman, Erastus Herrington, G. F. Wilcox, and Levi J. DeLand.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL SOCIETIES of PERRINTON

In 1810, Adam Gower, an exhorter and resident of Perrinton, living about two miles south of the present village of Fairport, labored in the interests of Methodism in this vicinity, holding meetings at the residences of the few scattering members: and from 1816 to 1825, circuit preachers were appointed, who held meetings, mainly in the east part of the town, at the house of George G. Downer, prominent among whom were Rev. Ira Bishop and Rev. Seth Madison. Soon after 1825 a society was organized in the school house at Fairport, where it services were conducted until the erection of a house of worship soon after. Jacob Sperbeck, Warren Caulkins, martin Sperbeek and Eben Sherman were among its constituent members.

One of its first ministers were Rev. Eleazer Thomas, who was shot by the Modoe Indians in the recent war with that tribe, while acting as a peace commissioner. Rev. William Furguson and Rev. Octavius Mason were also preachers prominently connected with its early history. In 1835 it had increased to a considerable church, including among its members Sardins Caulkins, Lydian Caulkins, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Caulkins, Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Judson, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Wheeler, Elder Moses E. Butts, Lovicia Butts, Jane Butts, James Price, Mr. And Mrs. William Storms, Mr. And Mrs. Stephen Slocum and others.

A few years laters it began declining in interest and numbers; preaching became less regular, until 1838, when the building was sold to Jeremiah Chadwick for a carriage and wagon-shop, and in 1842 the organization ceased to exist. A second society of the Methodist Episcopal church of Perrinton was organized on April 4, 1825, at the school house in Egypt, where services were conducted until the construction of the present church edifice, which was completed and dedicated in the latter part of 1826. The first preacher was Rev. Eleazer Caulkins, through whose zealous and praiseworthy efforts the organization sprang into existence.

The first board of trustees comprised Rev. Eleazer Caulkins, Fayette Lapham, William S. Gregory, Noah Ramsdall, David Rowland, and Daniel Whitman, who belonged also to the small band of pioneer members. Preaching has been generally sustained by the society, the interests of the church carefully administered, and a fair degree of prosperity has attended its existence from the beginning. Those constituting the present board of trustees are John Loud, Spencer Bortles, and Josiah Aldrich; and the present church clerk is Cullen Lour, who has held that position for more than thirty-five years.

In 1836 and 1837 the interests of the Methodist denomination centred in the southeastern part of the town, now known as South Perrinton, where, on February 22 of the latter year, the existing society of the Methodist Episcopal church of Perrinton at that place was organized, in the school-house of district No. 11, by Rev. Thomas J. Champion, minister of that charge. The first trustees chosen were George Wing, Josiah Wing, Richard W. Wells, Robert K. Potter, and Isaac Snedaker, and the first secretary Richard W. Wells.

A lot was purchased for seventy-five dollars, and the first house of worship erected the following summer, at an expense of three hundred dollars to the builder, John Riddle, the material of which was largely given and much of the work done by the society, and previous to which services were held at the place of organization. In 1860 the building was improved, and more land purchased, to include a cemetery, which increased the lot to two acres; and in 1867 other improvements, with an addition, were made, and the whole refurnished, at a total cost of three thousand eight hundred dollars. Rev. T. J. Champion was the first preacher. The present incumbent is Rev. R. N. Lake. Rev. John Cline is the present deacon, and four years ago was ordained an elder. He has been a local preacher for more than twenty years, and has done much to sustain and advance the interests of the church.


CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Rev. Crane preached at the house of Jesse Perrin the first sermon. In 1824, a society numbering nine persons was formed. Their names are Mrs. Huldah Wright, Mrs. Nancy Blackmon, Mrs. Leah Packard, Mrs. Lucy Eaton, Mrs. Letitia Norton, Mrs. Simeon Bristol, Mrs. Lucy Bristol, and Lemuel Wright and William Stebbens. These were formed into a church by Rev. John Taylor, of Penfield and Rev. Asa Carpenter of Macedon.

The legal organization occurred in 1832, during which the first house of worship was raised. In 1834 a larger edifice was required and built. The dedication took place January 1, 1835. Numbers so increased that a third house was built in 1868, and formally dedicated April 27, 1869. The first church was built by Lewis Northrup, the second by Hiram Hayes, and the third by Hiram Kingsley, of Rochester. The last cost over twenty thousand dollars. So far as learned, five hundred and fifty-five persons have been received into membership. The last two pastorates cover a period of twenty years during which two hundred and eighty-one have been added to the church. The present membership is two hundred and eighteen.

The following have been ministers to this church, viz: Revs. Morgan, Daniel Washburn, Daniel Johnson, Alfred White Brooks, George Freeman, Stanley Kellogg, West Gillam, Billington Gilbert, Francis W. H. Platt, Nathan Bosworth and J. Butler, present minister. The deacons have been E. Whittlesey, L. Wright, G. Dunham, H. Wygant, and D. Howard. Wm. P. Hawkins has been church clerk since 1864. The church primarily stood independent and in 1864 united with the Ontario conference. In 1865 it framed a constitution and issued a manual. Mr. Bristol conducted a Sabbath school in school houses as early as 1820 but it was not until 1835 that a regular school was formed. It numbers thirty officers and teachers and two hundred and fifty scholars. The superintendent is John L. Howard.


FREE-WILL BAPTIST CHURCH

Early services were held in district No. 5 by Elder Daniel Lyon, as a branch of Walworth church. A society was instituted in 1820, with nineteen members among whom were Daniel Conant, Cornelius Conant, Mrs. E. Plum, Mrs. M. Betters, and Jacob Cooklin. Elder Thomas Parker soon took charge of the branch, and with the Penfield brethren built a church in the east part of Penfield. Elder Parker preached over twenty years. Prior to this time, David Marks had been known as an occasional preacher here.

Another organization was effected in 1840, in Egypt, by D. G. Holmes. Meetings were held in the school-house and Methodist house about eight years, when they came to Fairport, as did part of the northern society, and united, in 1848, to build their present house, which was finished at a cost of three thousand dollars, the lot having cost one thousand dollars besides. The original society numbered nine person. The first trustees were N. Case, M. Budlong, B. Conant, and J. Talman. The pastors have been D. G. Holmes, E. P. Talman, F. Straight, D. M. L. Rollin, A. Brown, H. S. Limbecker, D. G. Holmes, who in all served twelve years, R. Cameron, J. M. Brewster, W. H. Waldron, W. Taylor, R. Tower, R. L. Howard, and L. A. Crandall, present pastor. Membership, one hundred and eighty. The Sabbath-school was organized by Elder Holmes, J. Talman, and Nathan Case. Total of officers, teachers, and scholars, one hundred and thirty eight. Seven thousand dollars was raised in 1865 for the education of the freedman south, and to aid in building a college at Harper's Ferry.


UNIVERSALIST CHURCH

The Universalist society organized April 6, 1833; John Peters, chairman; Abisha Goodell, Clerk; John Peters, Joshua C. Eaton, George Hine, Gerton Lewis, Levi Treadwell, Samuel R. Thompson, Henry Mathews, Abisha Goodell, and Lary Wilcox, trustees. They built a house the next year (1834), a lot being given them by Mr. Oliver Thomlinson. Elder Saddler preached the dedicatory sermon, and was the regular preacher for a few years, followed by Rev. J. M. Cook, Charles Dutton, Stephen Miles, Mr. Spaulding, Lyscom Knapp, S. J. Gibbs, H. L. Hayward, M. B. Smith, C. A. Skinner, W. B. Cook, Asa Countyman, Mr. Porter, G. W. Montgomery, and D. C. Thomlinson.

One of the first deacons was Mr. Joshua C. Eaton, who served the church for many years, until he moved to Michigan, a few years ago, where he has since died. Mr. David Smith, his successor, is their present deacon. Present officers are--Mr. O. P. Simmons, clerk; Mr. Remsen Vanderhoof, Mr. Francis S. Ellis, and Mr. Jacob Chase, trustees; Rev. James M. Cook, pastor, who began his labors in the fall of 1841. The first Sabbath his audience consisted of about twenty person, and for some time it was small; but ere six months the house was well filled with attentive listeners, and from that time forth while he remained the house was often densely crowded.

One of the first objects of his labors was to organize a church, which was effected the ensuing summer (1842), with twenty-two constituent members. During his ministry the membership increased to over one hundred, and the church became prosperous. At this time there were but few church organizations distinct from the society in this denomination in wester New York. He also organized a Sabbath-school and Bible-class, improved the church property, placed an organ in the church, and left it and the society in a prosperous condition in 1845. About 1865 the church, having previously declined, was reorganized by Rev. D. C. Thomlinson, who served as pastor for a few years; no services are held at present.


CATHOLIC SOCIETY

In July, 1849, Father Gile Bride first celebrated mass, in Smith Brennan's house, in Fairport. There being but few Catholcs here at this time, meetings were held at private houses for about three years. Father John Tuohy, of Palmyra, had charge over Fairport and effected a church organization in 1852.

Father William Cassey, his successor, built the present church edifice in 1856, in which he labored until 1865, when the bishop sent Father Miller as the local priest in charge, who remained four years, when Father C. McGrath, their present priest, was appointed, seven years ago.

Connected with the church is a parsonage worth some three thousand dollars. A lot on Sanford street, for a new church, has been purchased. A new cemetery, southeast of the village, was purchased and laid out in 1873. The present membership is one hundred and forty-five families. Present trustees are Philip Hartley and John Leary, P. McAuliff, clerk.


THE YOUNG PEOPLE'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF THE FAIRPORT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

was organized February 28, 1876, and constitution adopted March 13, 1876, and the following officers elected: President, Dr. C. H. Green; Vice-President, George T. Hamilton; Secretary, Anna E. Howard; Assistant Secretary, William B. Hawkins; Treasurer, Emma D. Ranney.

It is the object of this association to promote mental and spiritual culture among its members, and especially to encourage Christian work by the young, and by organized effort to render this work as efficient as possible.

Present officers: John R. Gordon, president; Otis Clapp, vice-president; and Miss S. Brown, secretary.
Source: [History of Monroe County, New York, Everts, Ensign & Everts, 716 Felbert Street, 1877]




HOME



Copyright © Genealogy Trails