Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Onondaga County
New York
Genealogy and History


Clark Hamilton Abbott
Lawyer; b. Otisco, N.Y., 1869; s. Myron W. and Sarah (Clark) Abbott; ed. Phillips Exeter Acad., grad. 1891; Yale, 1891-92; Harvard Coll., A.B., 1896; Harvard Law Sch., class of 1896.  Practicing law in N.Y. City from 1898; now mem. Law firm Abbott & Coyne.  Attorney for Seamen's Branch, Legal Aid Soc., 1899-1903.  Mem. Seventh Reg't, N.G. N.Y. Republican; nominated, 1904, for State Senate from 10th Senate Dist., N.Y., but not elected; served several years in City Com., Citizens' Union.  Ass't sec. and att'y for State B'd of Commissioners for Licensing Sailors' Hotels and Boarding Houses.  Mason, Knight Templar and Shriner.  Mem. Dante Soc., Cambridge, Mass.  Compiled work on Dante.  Club: Harvard.  Address: 29 Broadway, N.Y. City. [Source: WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State, Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]

Udelmer C. Adams
Merchant; b. Cardiff, Onondaga Co., N.Y. June 8, 1850;  s. Charles and Harriet (Ross) Adams; ed. Onondaga Valley Academy and Syracuse City Schs., m. Hattie Hines, July, 1894, Watertown, N.Y.  Entered hat and fur trade in 1886, became partner with David Stevens under firm name of Stevens & Adma, 1870; succeeded to sole owner of business on death of partner, 1893.  Business incorporated under present name of Udelmer C. Adams Co, 1910.  Elected Alerman 18th Ward, 1894; retired from politics, 1894; v.-pres. Atlantic Savings & Loan Ass'n., 1892-96.  Republican.  Mem. Chamber of Commerce: Oddfellow; F.& A. M.; Elk; formerly Forester and Redman. Clubs: Citizens, Masonic, Automobile, Kiwanis, Mercantile.  Residence: 400 James St. Address: 128 So. Salina St., Syracuse, N.Y. [Source: WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State, Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]

Dean Alvord
Real Estate operator; b. Syracuse, N.Y., Dec. 4, 1856; s. James D. and Caroline (Edwards) Alvord, descendant of Jonathan Edwards; ed. Syracuse Univ.; m. Nellie Barnum (descendant of Alexander Hamilton); children:  Donald, b. 1892; Evelyn, b. 1893; Eric, b. 1903.  Builder of Prospect Park South; purchaser from English company of Shinnecock Hills and from heirs of A.T. Stewart of Garden City.  Republican, Presbyterian.  Mem. Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.  Recreations:  Automobiling, horseback riding.  Clubs:  Lawyers, Hardware, N.Y. City, Municipal (Brooklyn).  Summer residence: Lake Placid.  Winter residence: "Harbor Oaks," Clearwater, Fla. [Source: WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State, Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]

Jacob Amos
Merchant, banker; b. Syracuse, N.Y.,  Dec. 1853; s. Jacob and Mary Amos; ed. Syracuse High  Sch.;  m. Syracuse, N.Y., Sept., 1880, Florence E. Wells; one d.: Christine. Pres. Paragon Plaster Co., v.-p. Third Nat. Bank, C. L. Amos Coal Co.; trustee Syracuse Savings Bank; dir. Dyneto Electric Co.; Am. Floyds Ins. Co., Great Western Floyds Ins. Co. Mem. N.Y. Produce Exchange. Formerly mayor of Syracuse; trustee Village of Baldwinsville.  Republican. Mason, Knight Templar.  Clubs: Century, Citizens, Onondaga Golf.  Address: Syracuse, N.Y.  [Source: WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State, Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Vivian Nichols]

Newton Lloyd Andrews
Andrews, Newton Lloyd, lecturer, educator, college president, was born Aug. 14, 1841, in Fabius, N.Y. In 1862 he graduated from Colgate university; in 1864 graduated from the theological department of that institution; and has received the degrees of A.M., Ph.D. and LL.D. In 1864-69 he was the principal of the preparatory department of Colgate university; became professor of Greek in 1868; in 1880-95 was dean of the college faculty; in 1890-95 was acting president; and since 1895 has been professor of Greek and lecturer on the history of art in that institution of learning.
[Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 –TK - Transcribed by A Friend of Free Genealogy]

Newton Lloyd Andrews
Educator; b. Fabius, N.Y., Aug. 14, 1841; s. Nathaniel and Catherine G. (Remsen) Andrews; ed. Colgate Univ., A. B., 1862; A.M. 1864; Hamilton Coll., Ph.D., 1878; Univ. of Chicago, LL.D., 1883; Colgate Univ., L.H.D., 1914; m. (1) Cynthia S. Burchard (d); (2) Charlotte P. Harbach, Newton Centre, Mass., 1898.  Prin. Prep. Sch. Of Colgate Univ. 1864; adjunct prof. of Latin in Univ., 1865; prof. of Greek languages and Literature, 1868; served as Dean of College Faculty, 1880-95; since 1895, prof. of Greek and lecturer on History of Art; in furtherance of his studies in these depts., has spent several periods of absence from Univ. in extensive travel in Europe, Asia Minor and Egypt.  Independent.  Mem. Soc. for Promotion of Hellenic Studies; N.Y. Soc. of Sons of Rev.  Residence:  Hamilton, N. Y.  Address:  Colgate Univ., Hamilton, N.Y. [Source: WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent     Citizens of New York City and State, Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Shannon Read]

William Shankland Andrews
Jurist; b. Syracuse, N.Y., Sept. 25, 1858; s. Charles and Marcia (Shankland) Andrews; grad. Harvard, A.B., 1880; Columbia, LL.B., 1882; m. N. Y. City, Dec. 31, 1884, Mary Raymond Shipman.  Engaged in practice of law at Syracuse until elected 1899, a justice of the Supreme Court of the State of N. Y., for the term expiring Dec. 31, 1913; re-elected, Nov., 1913.  Republican.  Address:  Onondaga, N. Y. [Source: WHO'S WHO IN NEW YORK A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent Citizens of New York City and State, Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who's Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; tr. by Shannon Read]

Luther Badger
BADGER, Luther, a Representative from New York; born in Partridgefield (now Peru), Mass., April 10, 1785; moved with his father to New York in 1786; attended Hamilton College in 1807; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1812 and commenced practice in Jamesville, Onondaga County, N.Y.; judge advocate of the Twenty-seventh Brigade, New York Militia, 1819-1827; elected as an Adams to the Nineteenth Congress (March 4, 1825-March 3, 1827); resumed the practice of his profession; moved to Broome County in 1832; examiner in chancery 1833-1847; appointed commissioner of United States loans in 1840, and served until 1843; elected district attorney of Broome County and served from July 5, 1847, until his resignation in November 1849; resumed the practice of law in Jordan, Onondaga County, N.Y., where he died in 1869; interment in Jordan Cemetery.  Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present

Henry A. Barnum
Barnum, Henry A., brigadier-general, was born in Jamesville, Onondaga county, N. Y., Sept. 24, 1833, was educated in Syracuse, and in 1856 became a teacher in the Syracuse institute, after which he studied law and was admitted to the bar. Enlisting at the beginning of the Civil war as a private in the 12th N. Y. volunteers, he was elected captain of Co. I, and fought with his regiment at Bull Run, the 12th being the first under fire at Blackburn's ford, previous to the battle. In Oct., 1861, he was promoted to major, served after that a short time as a member of Gen. Wadsworth's staff, and then rejoined his regiment and fought through the peninsular campaign. At Malvern hill he received a wound from which he never fully recovered, was carried apparently dead from the field, and a body, supposed to be his, was buried, while at his home a funeral oration was delivered. He was taken to Libby prison, remaining there until July 18, 1862, and then, after a six months' leave of absence returned to the war as a colonel, leading his regiment at Gettysburg, and at Lookout Mountain, where he was again wounded, and where his regiment captured 11 battle flags. He was again wounded in the Atlanta campaign, commanded a brigade in Sherman's march to the sea, and had the distinction of being the first officer to enter Savannah. On March 13, 1865, he was brevetted a major-general of volunteers, and in the following January he resigned, having declined a colonelcy in the regular army, and became inspector of prisons in New York.
(Source: The Union Army, Volume VIII, Biographical, Federal Publishing Co., 1908. - Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Linda Rodriguez)

Irving Franklin Baxter
Baxter, Irving Franklin, lawyer and jurist of Omaha, Neb., was born Jan. 11, 1863, in Liverpool, Onondaga County, N. Y. He was admitted to practice law in the state of New York; and since 1887 has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Omaha, Neb. In 1892 he became attorney for the Omaha Board of Education; and in 1893-99 was county judge for Douglas County, Neb. This was followed by five years as judge of the fourth judicial district of Nebraska, which he resigned in 1904 to become United States attorney for Nebraska, which office he held for two years. He is vice-president of the American Bar Association for Nebraska.
["Herringshaw's American Blue Book of Biography: Prominent Americans of 1912- An Accurate Biographical Record of Prominent Citizens of All Walks of Life", 1912 - TK - Sub by FOFG]

John F. Benjamin
Benjamin, John Forbes, soldier, lawyer, congressman, was born Jan. 23, 1817, in Cicero, N.Y. He was a member of the state legislature of Missouri in 1850-52; and was presidential elector in 1856. He enlisted in the union cavalry service as a private in 1861; and was subsequently captain, major, lieutenant-colonel and brigadier-general. He was provost marshal of the eighth district of Missouri in 1863-64; and was delegate at large from Missouri to the Baltimore convention in 1864. In 1865-71 he was a representative from Missouri to the thirty-ninth, fortieth and forty-first congresses. He died March 8, 1877, in Washington, D.C.
["Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

John J. Brown
BROWN, John Jackson; educator, was born at Amenia, Dutchess Co., N. Y., Feb. 7, 1820. His paternal grandfather was a Methodist minister under John Wesley. Young Brown passed his early life in the country and was under the religious influence of a pious family. In 1828 he joined the East Genesee conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a man of fine mental endowments which he had cultivated by careful and continued study. Mr. Brown filled pastorates in various churches in western New York until 1857, when he accepted the chair of natural sciences in Dansville Seminary, which position he filled for two years, when he became principal of the institution and during his administration did much toward raising the standard of the school. In 1863 Mr. Brown was called to become principal of the East Genesee Conference Seminary at Ovid, N. Y., and soon came to be known as one of the foremost educators of the state. He had meanwhile continued his studies in the various departments of natural science, and had become an authority in optics and chemical analysis his services as an expert being in constant demand; he evinced great genius in the invention and manufacture of physical apparatus. In 1865 Mr. Brown accepted the chair of natural science in the Falley Seminary at Fulton, N.Y., which he filled until 1870, when he was elected to the chair of chemistry and industrial mechanics in Cornell University. He soon attained high rank among his associate professors in this institution in the scientific department, and won the pseudonym of "Cyclopaedia of Science." When Syracuse University was established in 1871, he was unanimously called to the chair of physics and chemistry in that institution. His devotion to the Methodist Episcopal Church caused him to sever his connection with Cornell and accept the chair at Syracuse. This position he held until his death. In 1889 he was made emeritus professor and given unlimited leave of absence to recuperate his failing health. Dr. Brown was for five years editor of "Humphrey's Journal of Photography," and for eleven years editor of the scientific department of the "Northern Christian Advocate." Dr. Brown contributed a number of valuable articles to various scientific periodicals. He was a member of the American Chemical Society, a profound scientist and ardent investigator, and received the honorary degrees of A.M. and LL.D. In 1848 he was married to Sarah Wiley, of Springwater, N. Y., a lady of culture and refinement, who was an able assistant to him in his work as an educator. He died at Syracuse, N. Y., Aug. 15. 1891.
{Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1906, by James T. White, George Derby; Pgs. 140-193; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.}

Walter A. Brownell
BROWNELL, Walter A.; educator and geologist, was born at Evan's Mills, N. Y., on March 23, 1838, the son of Brisbin A. Brownell. He prepared for college in the district schools and in the Gouverneur Seminary, from which he was graduated valedictorian of his class. He then entered Genesee College, where he took a high standing. In order to procure funds he taught at intervals. Mr. Brownell accepted the professorship of Latin in Fulton Seminary, and in 1865 was made principal of Red Creek Seminary, which he left at the end of three years to accept a similar position in the Fairfield Seminary. This place he also retained three years, greatly upbuilding the school, and resigning in 1871 to accept the principalship of the Syracuse High School. At the end of one year he accepted the professorship of geology and chemistry in this school, which position he has held for twenty - one years. When Prof. Brownell assumed this professorship there was no apparatus for illustrating physical science, neither was there money to secure such. He at once instituted courses of student lectures in the sciences, and by this means raised a fund, which was doubled by the regents at Albany, and so he was able to procure $2,500 worth of chemical and physical apparatus. During his vacations he devoted himself to geological field work, both in Europe and America. The result of these explorations he gave to the school, which through his efforts has a collection of minerals and fossils numbering about 30,000. Dr. Brownell has classified the collection scientifically, so that every specimen is in perfect order for illustration. In 1881 he was called to the chair of mineralogy in the vacation summer school for teachers, at Martha's Vineyard, Mass. This department was enlarged the following year by the addition of geology, which double department he held four successive seasons, having in his classes professors in geology from the various colleges and other institutions of learning in the United States. Dr. Brownell is well known as a lecturer, and also through his writings that have occasionally appeared in the scientific periodicals. He is a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and is one of the original Fellows of the Geological Society of America. In 1876 he received the degree of Ph. D. from Hamilton College. Notwithstanding his deep interest in science, he is also an active business man and prominently interested in the welfare of the community in which he resides. He is chairman of several committees for advancing philanthropic and religious works, and is interested in city affairs in Syracuse. Immediately upon graduation from college he married Helen M. Davis, of Livonia, N. Y., a talented student and educator, whom he met in his college work. Their only son, George G. Brownell, is making a specialty of natural science, and is engaged in a geological investigation of Central Africa, being employed by the New York Colonization Society.
{Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1892, by James T. White & Co., N. Y.; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.}

John Casey
CASEY John, Anoka. Farm implements and livery. Born Oct 1858 in Syracuse N Y. Married may 27, 1885 to Mary E Tierney. Educated in common schools. Farmed several years; moved to Anoka and went into the farm implement and livery business, which he conducts to date. Served as supervisor of Fridley Minn; sheriff Anoka county; alderman 6 terms.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]

Martin Cavanaugh
Born in the state of New York of Irish parentage, and inheriting from his ancestry a disposition to go forth into the unknown parts of the world and conquer new kingdoms of material and industrial wealth, Martin Cavanaugh, who is popularly known as “Mat,” one of the enterprising and prosperous ranch and cattle men of Eagle county, has wandered from his parental fireside many longitudes and worked out his desire to win a home and a place in the public esteem for himself. His life began on January 1, 1862, in Onondaga county, New York, near the city of Syracuse, and he is the son of John and Ann (McDonald) Cavanaugh, who were born in Ireland and emigrated to the United States soon after their marriage, moving later to Michigan and locating in Ottawa county, where the mother died on November 17, 1901, and the father is still living. The latter is a farmer and does grading work under contract. He is a Democrat in political connection and usually deeply interested in the welfare of his party. Four of the children survive the mother, James, Mrs. Ellen J. Buswell, Mrs. Mary Bidlack and Mat. The last named attended the common schools near his home and the business college at Grand Rapids, meanwhile working on the home farm, where he remained until he reached the age of eighteen. He then devoted several years to railroad work as engineer and yard master in Michigan at Grand Rapids. In 1881 he came to Colorado, arriving at Pueblo on March 13th, and there he served as yard master for one of the railroads until 1890. He then moved to Custer county, where he engaged in the cattle industry three years, or nearly that length of time. Late in 1892 he moved to Mesa and two years later to Whitewater, Mesa county, at both places continuing his connection with the stock industry, which he afterward continued further in Rio Blanco county, enlarging his interests and his operations in the neighborhood of Rangely until 1898. In that year he sold out there and changed his residence to the vicinity of Carbondale, on Cattle creek, Garfield county, where he remained until 1900, and then purchased his present ranch in the Gypsum valley. This comprises three hundred and twenty acres of tillable land, owning also another ranch of one hundred and thirty acres, of which ninety-five are under cultivation. His principal products are hay and cattle which he raises extensively in good qualities. Since becoming possessed of these properties he has made many improvements on them, building on the home place a comfortable and attractive modern dwelling, new corrals and other necessary structures. He lives four miles south of the town of Gypsum and is one of the leading citizens of the section, taking an active part in matters of local improvement as a man of progress and breadth of view and in politics as an ardent Democrat. He was married on November 22, 1887, to Miss Anna Brady, a native of Galesburg, Illinois. They have had two children, Mat and James, both of whom have died. Mr. Cavanaugh has mingled freely with the Ute Indians in his wanderings and speaks their language fluently.
[Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

W. C. Chapman
W. C. Chapman, a leading merchant, prominent citizen and influential civic force at Durango, La Plata county, is a pioneer of 1868 in this state, and since that time he has been actively identified with its progress and development. He was born at Albany, New York, on September 9, 1838, and is the son of John W. and Hephzibah (Gibbons) Chapman, also native at Albany. He grew to manhood at Syracuse, New York, and after reaching years of maturity, engaged in business there until 1868, when he came to Colorado and settled at Georgetown. Here he was occupied in mining until 1881. In February of that year he located at Durango and opened a hardware store which he has conducted ever since, and which he has made one of the leading emporiums in its line in this part of the state. He is also vice-president of the Colorado State Bank and is interested in various other business enterprises. In public life he has been zealous and serviceable, giving the town an excellent administration of its affairs when he was mayor and as president of the school board during the last ten years holding the educational forces of the community up to a high standard of ability and usefulness. He is also an active church worker, and in the two fraternal orders to which he belongs, the Freemasons and the Elks, his membership is highly valued and of great service. In July 1889, he was married at Durango to Mrs. Ella Hovey, a native of Missouri. They have one daughter, Mary M. Mr. Chapman is a member of the San Juan Pioneer Association and takes a great and serviceable interest in its proceedings. He is one of Durango's leading and most representative citizens, and has a wide and potent influence for good throughout a large extent of the surrounding country. As one of the makers and builders of the town, and one of its leaders of thought and action he is widely known and generally esteemed; and as a business man of capacity, enterprise and breadth of view he has given its commercial forces a high rank in the business world. Among the progressive men of western Colorado he is entitled to a place in the front rank.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Nancy Overlander)

Justus Noyes Corbin
Justus Noyes Corbin is the president and manager of the Midland Telephone Company of Moab and has for a number of years been prominently identified with the development of electric interests and telephone systems in the west, his activities being a contributing factor to the work of general development and improvement. He was born in Syracuse, New York, May 21, 1858, and in early life learned the machinist’s trade, which he followed until 1884. He became secretary of the Union Pacific Employees’ Association at Denver, Colorado, and occupied that position until 1896, during which time he devoted his leisure to the study of law and was admitted to the bar in May, 1894.
It was in 1896 that Mr. Corbin resigned his secretaryship and removed to Moab. The same year he was admitted to practice in the courts of Utah, and while continuing active as a representative of the profession, he also became interested in other lines. He established the Grand Valley Times, which was the first newspaper published in southeastern Utah, and of this he became proprietor and editor. He has been interested in the telephone business for almost two decades and in 1907 disposed of his newspaper in order to devote more time to the development of telephone systems. Previously, however, he did important service along professional lines. In April, 1899, he was appointed prosecuting attorney of Grand county, which at that time was known as the Robbers Roost county. Governor Wells went down especially to see what could be done to check the lawlessness of the district, and Mr. Corbin told him that if he could send down some rifles and one thousand rounds of ammunition they would correct the trouble. The supplies were duly sent and the outlaws were soon scattered, Mr. Corbin thus rendering most effective service in promoting the interests of civilization in that district. In 1903, still further developing his telephone interests he organized the Lasal Mountain Electric Company and built a local telephone system from Moab to Castleton and also leased the line extending from Moab to Thompsons. In 1907 he organized the Blue Mountain Telephone Company and built a line to Monticello, Lasal and Big Indian—a distance of sixty-eight miles from Moab, this being the first line system in San Juan county. In 1908 he disposed of his interests in Utah and removed to Fruita, Colorado, where in 1915 he organized the Midland Telephone Company and also built a line from Mack, Colorado, to Green River, Utah, a distance of one hundred miles. The same year he leased the telephone lines formerly owned or controlled and removed to Moab, Utah, operating the leased lines as part of the Midland telephone system. He has since been extending and rebuilding the phone system to southern Utah, with Bluff as one terminal, and also to Dolores, Colorado. He is the president and manager of the corporation and his work in this connection is of immense value in the development of the business interests of the section of the state in which he operates.
In Syracuse, New York, in 1883, Mr. Corbin was married to Miss Mary Whitbread, who passed away in May, 1917, leaving four children: Emma, born in 1884; Mary, whose birth occurred in 1888; Edith, whose natal year was 1895; and John, who was born in 1897. On the 20th of May, 1919, Mr. Corbin was married to Mrs. Louise B. Moore, of Delta, Colorado. They are people of social prominence in the community in which they reside and Mr. Corbin is a past master of the Masonic fraternity, to the teachings of which he is most loyal, exemplifying in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft.
[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Denise Moreau]

Asa Drake
Has been twice married. His first wife, Nancy Dupre, was born November 13, 1814, on the Island of Jersey, and died May 1, 1877. He had nine children by this marriage: Suprema, born September 25, 1835, died October 6, 1835; Jane November 8, 1837, died July, 1870; Edward A., June 23, 1841, lives in Ross county, Ohio; Mary E., April 5, 1844, resides in Saline county, Missouri; Eliza, March 8, 1846, died July 22, 1849; Rachel A., May 4, 1849, died September 8, 1879; Elizabeth, September 23, 1851, died June 20, 1878; Lafayette, October 27, 1853, died June 1, 1856; Sarah, March 21, 1858, died June 4, 1860. His second wife, Mary J., was also married twice. She was married first to Thomas Huggins, who died April 26, 1865, and had eight children. She was married to Mr. Drake in Walnut township, Gallia county, Ohio, December 12, 1877. She is a daughter of John and Rebecca (Light) Kitchen, and was born in Floyd county, Virginia, October 28, 1828. Mr. Drake was born in Onondaga county, New York, April 15, 1814, and is the son of Alpheus and Eunice (Fuller) Drake, who came here in 1836. He is a minister of the gospel, and also a jeweler. He settled here in 1832. He has held the office of justice of the peace of Huntington township, this county for six years. Mr. Drake's son, Edward, was in the late war during the entire service, and was honorably discharged at the close. Mrs. Drake's first husband was also in the war. He volunteered in the 173d Ohio Volunteer Infantry and died at Johnsonville, Tennessee. Address Mr. Drake at Waterloo, Lawrence county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]

Theodore H. Eaton
EATON, Theodore Horatio, doing business under firm name of Theo. H. Eaton & Son, importer and dealer in chemicals and dye stuffs; born, Skaneatles, N. Y., Jan., 1842; son of Theodore H. and Anne Eliza (Gibbs) Eaton; educated in private schools of New York State, Charlier University, New York City, and by travel abroad; married in New Jersey, 1888, Miss Eliza Walton Clark. Began business career, 1859, in his father's chemical and dye house (founded, 1838), was admitted partnership, 1866, and upon death of his father, 1888, became sole proprietor of the business. Director Detroit Iron & Steel Co.; advisory director Security Trust Co. Member Society of Colonial Wars, Society of Colonial Governors, Huguenot Society of America, Sons of American Revolution, Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Episcopalian. Clubs: Detroit, Country. Recreation: Literature. Office: 26-30 Woodward Av. Residence: 484 Jefferson Av.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]

Horace Butler Gates
Gates, Horace Butler, St Paul. Res The Ashland, office 4th and Rosabel sts. Merchant. Born May 10, 1856 at Syracuse N Y, son of William G and Mary E (Brown) Gates. Married May 10, 1882 to Jessie Hackett. Educated in common and high schools St Paul. Clk in Nat Marine Bank and Merchants Nat Bank of St Paul as a young man; cashr Meeker County Bank of Litchfield Minn 1878-85; member Hackett, Walther & Gates (now Hackett, Walther, Gates Hardware Co) St Paul 1885 to date; pres of same since 1903. Member Minn, commercial and Minnetonka Yacht clubs St Paul.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]

Andrew H. Green
GREEN, Andrew H., Jr., manager Solvay process; born in Syracuse, N.Y.; (Onondago Co) educated at Cornell University, Sibley College of Engineering. Began active career with Solvay Process Co. of America, manufacturers of by-products, at general headquarters of the company, Syracuse, 1886; has been in charge of company's office in Detroit since 1897. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Yondotega, Fellowcraft. Office: 2100 Jefferson Av., W., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]

Henry Parry Henderson
Judge Henderson, who died in Salt Lake City June 3, 1909, was born in Tully, New York, September 22, 1843. He was the son of Perry and Huldah (Christian) Henderson. When he was two years of age his parents moved to Michigan, where the early years of his life were spent on a farm. In 1854 the family moved to Mason, Michigan, where he attended the public schools, later attended Lansing (Michigan) High School and the Michigan Agricultural College. For a short period he attended the Law Department of University of Michigan. In 1863 he was appointed Clerk of the Supreme Court of Michigan, which office he held for two years, when he was elected County Clerk of Ingham County, Michigan, and it was during this period that he took up the study of law. He was admitted to the bar of Ingham County, Michigan, in 1867, and later to the bar of the Supreme Court of Michigan. In 1868 he formed a partnership with Judge George M. Huntington, Mason, Michigan, which continued until 1874, when he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Ingham County. After serving his term of two years, Judge Henderson refused the renomination and devoted his time to the general practice of his profession. In 1879 he was elected on a Democratic ticket to the Michigan Legislature by a plurality of 206 in face of strong Republican opposition. Later he was elected Mayor of Mason.
In 1886 he was appointed by President Cleveland Justice of the Supreme Court of the Territory of Utah, and presided over the First Judicial District. After the expiration of his term of office, he remained in Ogden, Utah, and resumed the practice of law. In 1892 he moved to Salt Lake City, where he formed a partnership with the late Senator Arthur Brown, which continued until 1905, when he became a member of the firm of Henderson, Pierce, Critchlow & Barrette. He was a member of that firm up to the time of his death. This firm was one of the strongest firms in the state and enjoyed an extensive clientele in adjoining states Supreme Court of the Territory of Wyoming by President Cleveland. This office he held until the expiration of his term in 1890, when he moved to Ogden, Utah, where he engaged in the general practice of law. During the second administration of President Cleveland, he was appointed Assistant United States District Attorney of the then First District of Utah. He continued in the active practice of law in Ogden until his death, October 26, 1910 his practice extending over the Intermountain States.
Judge Henderson was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of Idaho in 1897, and to the Supreme Court of the United States. In 1897 he was Democratic candidate for the United States Senate from Utah. In November, 1898 he was elected a member of the Salt Lake City Board of Education and served two years, after which he retired, but two years later he was elected to that board and at the time of his death was its President. His service on the Board of Education had been unsurpassed and the record he established could not be excelled.
Judge Henderson was a prominent Mason, member of the Shrine, a Knight Templar and 32nd Degree Scottish Rite. He was a member of the Utah State Bar Association, University, Alta and Commercial Clubs of Salt Lake City. When a very young man he married Josephine Turner of Mason, Michigan, who survives him.
Judge Henderson recognized as few men do his responsibility to the community in which he lived. With all the demands on his time he was always ready to serve his day and generation, no matter what sacrifice of energy was involved. In his readiness to meet the duties of citizenship he was an example to all men. As a lawyer, he was recognized for the wisdom of his council. In a long and intimate acquaintance, his nearest associates remarked his broad charity for his fellow man, kindly in his nature he preferred to believe the best in all men. Courteous, gentle, thoughtful, unselfish, he had a wide circle of friends. All who knew him admired him.
Judge Henderson brought great abilities to the discharge of his numerous duties, yet it should be said of him that few men approached their tasks with less show or ostentation than he. His modesty was of that innate and unconscious character which is ever the accompaniment of a great soul. A man of whom it might indeed have been said, "His life was noble and the elements so mixed in him that Nature might stand up and say to all the World, "This was a man."
[Source: "History of the bench and bar of Utah"; By Interstate Press Association; Publ. 1913; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Timothy D. Holland
Born of Irish parents who sought in this country a better chance in life than was offered in the inhospitable land of their birth, and bringing to their new home the characteristic energy and versatility of their race which they transmitted to their offspring, Timothy D. Holland has well borne out in his own labors the thrift and frugality they exemplified in theirs, and built for himself a substantial estate in the western portion of the country just as they did for themselves in the eastern. His life began in Onondaga county, New York, on September 17, 1852, and there he received an ordinary common-school education, finishing with a high-school course. At the age of thirteen he began to earn money with a view to his advancement in life, doing with a will and a cheerful disposition whatever he found to do. In 1875 he entered business life as a grocer, and continued in that line until 1879, when he sold his interests. In the ensuing spring he came to Colorado and took up his residence at Denver where he was associated with the Denver Omnibus Company for a period. He then moved with a party of sixteen men over Mosquito pass to Leadville, and there for a year worked in the lumber industry of George Bennett. At the end of that time he bought a team and outfit and began hauling ore from the various mines, continuing his operations in this occupation until January, 1893. The work was hard and trying but the profits were large, and so he was enabled to gain from it both strength of body and a stake for a start in a more congenial engagement. Selling out his outfit at the time last mentioned, he turned his attention to the livery business, which he continued with gratifying success until conditions were made less favorable by the strike of 1896. He kept on in his enterprise, however, until 1899, then, disposing of his holdings at Leadville, he moved to the vicinity of Meeker and moved to the ranch on which he now lives, one-half of which he had pre-empted in 1885, the other half having been since acquired by purchase. He has now three hundred and twenty acres, one-half of which can be cultivated with good returns, and on the entire tract he runs a good band of cattle and horses. The ranch is located fourteen miles southeast of Meeker, so that a ready market is easily within reach, and as he owns independent ditches, the water supply is abundant. He has made all the improvements on the land himself, putting into the property all his energy and business capacity, and from a state of natural wildness he has transformed it into an attractive and fruitful home. He is a Republican in political faith and takes an earnest interest in the success of his party. His parents were Timothy and Hannah (Tobin) Holland, natives of Ireland, who were born in county Cork. They emigrated to the United States in 1849 and settled in New York city. The father was a prosperous paper manufacturer, a Democrat in politics, and a Catholic in church affiliations, as was also his wife. He died on October 19, 1891, and the mother on June 12, 1897. They had a family of seven children, five of whom are living, Ellen, Timothy D., Katharine, John and Charles. Timothy was married on January 25, 1875, to Miss Mary Jane Casey, a native of Onondaga county, New York, the daughter of James and Mary (Matthews) Casey, the father born in county Tipperary and the mother in county Meath, Ireland. The father was a carpenter and builder and prospered greatly at the business. Although born in Ireland he was reared in England. In the politics of this country he supported the Republican party. He served as constable for a period of eighteen years. Both he and his wife were Catholics. They had nine children, seven of whom are living, Katharine (Mrs. Owen Sullivan), Mrs. Richard Tague, Mrs. Holland, John, Michael, James and William. Mr. and Mrs. Holland have three children, Nora L., the wife of Michael Schneider, Katharine T. and John A. Mrs. Holland’s mother died on June 27, 1890, and her father on April 26, 1896. Both were highly respected and esteemed where they were known.
[Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

James T. Hurst
HURST, James T., timber and pine lands; born Syracuse, N.Y., July 28, 1843; son of Samuel and Amanda (Lewis) Hurst; educated in public schools of Wayne Co., Mich., married in Wayne Co., July 5, 1869, Mary A. Lacey. Came to Wayne Co. with parents at age of one year, and engaged in lumber business at the beginning of his active career, continuing for more than forty years; senior member James T. Hurst & Sons, established, , 1897, dealers in timber and pine lands, North and South. Was member State Prison Board, Ionia, five years; appointed U.S. inspector of customs and deputy U.S. marshal until 1874. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Masonic order (32*), Shriner. Recreation: Reading. Office 1019 Hammond Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Wyandotte, Mich.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters" by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Chris Walters]

John J. Jackson
JACKSON, John J., lawyer; born, Cicero, N.Y., Oct. 6, 1869; son of Elias and Mary M. (Baum) Jackson; graduate Olivet College, Olivet, Mich., degree B.A., 1891, M.A., 1892; superintendent of schools, Three Rivers, Mich., 1892, 1893 and 1894; married at Detroit, Oct. 25, 1895, Clara M. Sweet. Studied law, was admitted to the bar, 1895, and has since practiced in Detroit. Member Detroit and Michigan State Bar associations. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 812-816 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 101 Pingree Av.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters" by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908 - Submitted by Chris Walters]

Charles H. Morgan
Morgan, Charles H., brigadier-general, was born in Manlius, N. Y., Nov. 6, 1834. He was graduated at the United States military academy in 1857, and prior to the Civil war saw service in the Utah expedition, 1857-59. He was promoted 1st lieutenant, April 1, 1861, and served, in 1861-62, in western Virginia and in the defenses of Washington, and in the Army of the Potomac, March-Aug., 1862. He took part in the Rappahannock campaign, the battles of Gettysburg and Warrenton, the skirmishes at Auburn and Bristoe Station, the battles of the Wilderness, the skirmish at Todd's tavern, the battles of Spottsylvania, North Anna, Totopotomy, Cold Harbor and vicinity, Petersburg, Deep bottom, Reams' station, Boydton plank road, and the siege of Petersburg, and in 1864-65 assisted in organizing the 1st army corps of veterans at Washington, D. C. He was chief of artillery, 2nd corps, Army of the Potomac, 1862-63; assistant inspector-general and chief of staff, 2nd army corps, 1063-64. And 1st veteran corps, 1865. He was assistant inspector-general and chief of staff to Gen. Halleck, commanding the middle military division, from Feb. to June, 1865, and a member of the examining board, June to Aug., 1865. He was appointed brigadier-general of volunteers, May 21, 1865, and was mustered out of the volunteer service on that day. He was brevetted major for gallant and meritorious services at Gettysburg; lieutenant-colonel for conduct at Bristoe Station; colonel for gallantry at Spottsylvania Court House; colonel of volunteers "for distinguished and valuable services and gallantry throughout the campaign, and especially at the Wilderness and Spottsylvania;" brigadier-general of volunteers for Sallant and distinguished services as chief of staff of the 2nd army corps during the campaign before Richmond, and brigadier-general U. S. A. March 13, 1865, for gallant and meritorious services in the field during the war. After the war Gen. Morgan was promoted major of the 4th artillery and was stationed at various posts, and finally at Alcatraz island, Cal., where he died, Dec. 20, 1875.
(Source: The Union Army, Volume VIII, Biographical, Federal Publishing Co., 1908. - Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Linda Rodriguez)

John J. Peck
Peck, John J., major-general, was born in Manlius, N. Y., Jan. 4, 1821, and was graduated at the United States military academy in 1843. He took part in most of the important engagements of the Mexican war, was promoted 1st lieutenant, Aug. 20, 1847, brevetted captain for gallantry at Contreras and Churubusco, major for meritorious conduct in the battle of Molino del Rey, and on his return to New York the citizens presented him with a sword. He subsequently served on scouting, frontier and recruiting duty, resigned his commission in 1853, and was then treasurer of the proposed railroad from New York to Syracuse via Newburg, and cashier of the Burnet bank, Syracuse, N. Y. He was commissioned brigadier-general of volunteers, Aug. 9, 1861, and served in the defenses of Washington and then in the Peninsular campaign. He engaged in the siege of Yorktown and the battles of Williamsburg and Fair Oaks; in the operations of the Seven Days' battles before Richmond, and on the change of base to the James River, June 26-July 2, 1862, he commanded the 2nd division of the 4th corps. He was promoted major-general of volunteers, July 4, 1862, and commanded a division at first composed of 9,000 men and afterwards augmented to almost 25,000, embracing all the Federal troops south of the James River. He was engaged in the operations about Suffolk, Va., and rendered valuable service by his brilliant defense of Suffolk against a superior force under Longstreet. He was in command of North Carolina, 1863-64, of the Department of the East with headquarters in New York, 1864-65, and was mustered out Aug. 24, 1865. He then returned to Syracuse, N. Y., and organized at that place the New York State life insurance company, of which he was president until his death. He died in Syracuse, N. Y., April 28, 1878.
(Source: The Union Army, Volume VIII, Biographical, Federal Publishing Co., 1908. - Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Linda Rodriguez)

Frank G. Ryan
RYAN, Frank G., president, Parke, Davis & co.; born, Marcellus Falls, N.Y., 1861; educated in public schools of Elmira, N.Y.; spent three years in pharmacy of Brown & Dawson, Syracuse, N.Y.; graduate Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, 1884. Began active career in Philadelphia, where he was identified with several stores; was assistant professor of pharmacy and in charge of commercial department, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, also lecturer on pharmacy at Woman's Medical College, Philadelphia; resigned various positions and came to Detroit as chief pharmacist Parke, Davis & Co., 1900; was elected member of directors, 1903, secretary, 1905, vice president, 1906, and president of the company after decease of Theodore D. Buhl, 1907. Made trip of seven months around the world visiting foreign branches of the company, returning early in 1907. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Boat, new York Drug Club (New York). Office: Parke, Davis & Do. Residence: The Pasadena
. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]

Benjamin R. Schenck
SCHENCK, Benjamin Robinson, surgeon; born, Syracuse, N.Y., Aug. 19, 1872; son of Adrian A. and Harriet (Robinson) Schenck; educated in Syracuse High School Williams (Mass.) College, degree of A.B., 1894; Johns Hopkins University, degree of M.D., 1898. Married at Niagara-on-The-Lake, Can., Aug. 17, 1904, Jessie Jean McCallum. Resident house surgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1898-1902, resident gynecologist, same , 1900-03. Has practiced in Detroit since 1903. Member Michigan State medical Society (secretary), Wayne County medical Society, Detroit Academy of Medicine, American Medical Association. Member Zeta Psi. Clubs: University, Detroit Boat. Office; 502 Washington Arcade. Residence: 227 Van Dyke Av.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Chris Walters]

Henry W. Slocum
Slocum, Henry W., major-general, was born in Delphi, Onondaga County, N. Y., Sept 24, 1827. He was graduated at West Point in 1852 and became second lieutenant in the 1st artillery. After serving in the Seminole war in Florida he was promoted first lieutenant on March 3, 1855, and was on duty at Fort Moultrie, S. C, till Oct. 31, 1856, when he resigned his commission. He then settled in Syracuse; began practicing law, which he had studied while in the army; entered political life; was elected to the legislature as 4 Democrat in 1859, and from 1859 till 1861 was also instructor of artillery in the state militia with the rank of colonel. On May 21, 1861, he became colonel of the 27th N. Y. volunteers. The regiment left Elmira for the front on July 10, and eleven days afterward it passed through the first battle of Bull Run where its commander was wounded in the thigh. On Aug. 9, while confined to the hospital, he was promoted brigadier-general of volunteers. On his recovery he was assigned to the command of a brigade in Franklin's division, Army of the Potomac. In the Peninsular campaign of 1862 he took part in the siege of Yorktown and the engagement at West Point; succeeded Gen. Franklin in command of the division on May 15; reinforced Gen. Fitz John Porter in the battle of Gaines' mill, June 27; and, with his division, occupied the right of the main line in the battles of Glendale and Malvern hill. On July 4, 1862, he was promoted major-general of volunteers; on Aug 30 was engaged in the second battle of Bull Run; Sept. 14 was in the battle of South mountain; and Sept. 17 added much to his brilliant record in the battle of Antietam, in the latter part of which he was assigned to the command of the 12th corps, succeeding Gen. Mansfield, who had been killed. He further distinguished himself at Chancellorsville and at Gettysburg, where his command was on the right of the army, and repelled a charge made by Ewell's corps at daylight on July 3. In October, after the drawn battle at Chickamauga, the nth and 12th corps were detached from the Army of the Potomac and hastened to reinforce the army in the Department of the Cumberland. In April, 1864, Gen. Sherman consolidated the two corps into what Vol. VIII 16was afterward known as the 20th corps, and assigned Gen. Hooker to the command. On this consolidation Gen. Slocum was given command of a division and of the district of Vicksburg. In August Gen. Hooker was succeeded by Gen. Slocum. When Gen. Sherman made his movement around Atlanta to the Macon road, he assigned Gen. Slocum to guard the communications, and when the Confederates left their intrenchments about Atlanta to meet the Federal army, Gen. Slocum threw his corps directly into the city. In the march to the sea and through the Carolinas, Gen. Slocum commanded the left wing of the army, comprising the 14th and 20th corps. From June 29 till Sept. 16 he commanded the Department of the Mississippi, and on Sept. 28, 1865, he resigned his commission, returning to civil life in Brooklyn. In the election of 1865 he was defeated as Democratic candidate for secretary of state of New York; in 1868 was a presidential elector; and in 1868 and 1870 was elected to Congress. He was defeated by Grover Cleveland in the Democratic convention of 1882 as a candidate for the nomination for governor of New York, and in the same year was elected Congressman at Large. Gen Slocum died at Brooklyn, N. Y., April 14, 1894
(Source: The Union Army, Volume VIII, Biographical, Federal Publishing Co., 1908. - Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Linda Rodriguez)

J. Lewis Smith
SMITH, J. Lewis
; physician, was born in Onondaga county, N. Y., Oct. 15, 1827, brother of Dr. Stephen Smith, the eminent surgeon of New York city. His father, Lewis Smith, was at one time sheriff of Onondaga county, and a member of the assembly in 1829, during the "Anti Masonic" excitement, His American ancestor, John Smith, was one of the founders of the New Haven colony, a contemporary of the Rev. Mr. Davenport, His grandfather, Job Smith, an officer in the war of the revolution, married a Miss Keeler, of Norwalk, whose two brothers were starved to death on the British prison-ships. She fled from Norwalk on the approach of the British ships, during the Tryon raid, and viewed from a safe distance the burning of her native town. The sufferings of her family during the war aroused an intense spirit of patriotism, and hatred of the British, and during the war of 1812, her husband, Job Smith, then an old man living in Onondaga county, shouldered his musket and went to the point of danger. Dr. Smith received his preparatory education at the public schools and at Homer Academy. He was graduated from Yale in 1849, being a classmate of Timothy Dwight, afterward president of the university. The study of botany, in which he had indulged before entering college, led to his following the profession of medicine, and he studied at different times with Dr. Caleb Green, of Homer, and Drs. Goodyear and Hyde of Cortland, N. Y., supplementing these studies with a course of lectures in the Buffalo Medical School. Through the influence of Dr. Austin Flint, whose pupil he was, Dr. Smith was appointed liaterae at the hospital of the Sisters of Charity in Buffalo, where he served for one year, previous to his graduation from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York city in 1853. He was connected with the Northwestern Dispensary for ten years, and was curator of the Nursery and Child's Hospital. He is visiting physician at the New York Infant Asylum, New York Foundling Asylum, and Charity Hospital. He is consulting physician to the Nursery and Child's Hospital, country branch, also to the' Infants' Hospital on Randall's Island. He succeeded Dr. Geo. T. Elliott, on the death of the latter, as clinical professor of diseases of children at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, which he still holds (1892). In his practice he has made a specialty of the diseases of children, and is the author of "A Treatise on the Diseases of Infancy and Children," which has already reached the seventh edition and is adopted as a text book in many of the colleges of the United States and Great Britain. In 1890 it was translated into Spanish and published in Madrid. He is collaborator of "The Archives of Pediatrics," a monthly journal devoted to the diseases of infancy and childhood. He was one of the founders and the second president of the Pediatric Society; was president of the Pediatric Section of the Ninth International Medical Congress, held in Washington, 1887, before which papers were read and discussed by distinguished physicians from all parts of the world. He is a member of the New York Academy of Medicine, New York Pathological Society, New York Medical Association and American Medical Association. [Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1906, by James T. White, George Derby; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Stephen Smith
SMITH, Stephen
, physician and surgeon, was born in Onondaga county, N. Y. He is descended, in the seventh generation, from Sergt. John Smith, one of the founders and proprietors of Milford, Conn. Dr. Smith's grandfather, Lieut. Job Smith, was paymaster of the 5th regiment Connecticut line, in the war of the revolution, and in the battles of Germantown, Monmouth, Stony Point, and other important engagements. He married Elizabeth Keeler, of Norwalk, Conn., and after the war removed to Westchester county, and afterward to Onondaga county, N. Y. His father, Lewis Smith, was in the war of 1812. Dr. Smith was to a great extent, self-educated; he had one year's attendance at Homer Academy, Cortland county, N. Y., where he was prepared for the sophomore class of college, but did not enter on account of ill health. He studied medicine with Dr. Frank H. Hamilton, of Buffalo, and with Dr. Willard Parker, of New York; was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, in 1850; served two years on the resident staff in Bellevue Hospital, and commenced general practice in 1853. He has held the position of visiting surgeon to Bellevue Hospital since 1854. He became assistant editor of the New York "Journal of Medicine" in 1856, and afterward editor-in-chief. In 186l he established the "American Medical Times," a weekly, which was discontinued, on account of the war, in 1864. In 1858 he married Lucy E. Culver, daughter of Judge E. D. Culver, of Brooklyn. During the war he was commissioned surgeon by Gov. Morgan, and went several times to the front. He was mainly instrumental in establishing Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1801; was professor of the principles of surgery for three years, and professor of anatomy for seven years. He then became professor of clinical surgery in the University Medical College, which position he has held ever since. He was one of the first to inaugurate reforms in the health department of New York city, and drew up the bill that led to the establishment of the Metropolitan Board of Health. In 1868 he was appointed health commissioner by Gov. Fenton and was reappointed by Mayor Oakey Hall, and by Mayor Havemeyer. He was the founder of the American Public Health Association, and was four times elected its president; this has since become one of the most noted sanitary organizations in the world. It was through his personal efforts alone that the State Board of Health was established. He drafted the bill, and communicated personally with leading physicians in every assembly district in the state, and kept up the agitation until the bill was passed by an overwhelming majority. He prepared and introduced a bill in congress in 1879 for the establishment of a Department of Health; the agitation which followed led to the passage of a bill by congress creating a National Board of Health, of which Dr. Smith was an original member by appointment of the president; he became its vice-president in 1887, and on the death of the president succeeded to the presidency. He was appointed by Gov. Cornell, in 1880, a member of the State Board of Charities, which beheld for two years, and was then appointed State Commissioner of Lunacy, in which capacity he prepared six annual reports on the condition of the insane and the institutions for their care in the state. On leaving the office he prepared a bill creating a State Commission in Lunacy in 1890, of which the present (1892) State Commission in Lunacy is the result. He strongly advocated the State care of the insane, and prepared a bill committing to the state the care of the insane, which was passed in a modified form in 1889. He wrote a "Hand Book of Surgery," for the use of surgeons in the army, in 1861, which was extensively used in both the Northern and Southern armies during the war, upward of 10,000 copies being sold. He subsequently prepared a much larger work on "Operative Surgery," of which eight editions have been published. In 1887 he published a new edition of this work. He privately printed a work, entitled "Doctor in Medicine," made up of essays on medical subjects. In 1890 he edited the eighth edition of Prof. Frank Hamilton's work on "Fractures and Dislocations." He has been surgeon of St. Vincent's Hospital since 1881; he is president of the New York State Medical Association; member of the American Public Health Association; American Medical Association; American Surgical Association, and the Academy of Medicine. In 1878 he received from Brown University the honorary degree of M.A., and in 1891, from the University of Rochester, the honorary degree of LL.D. Dr. Smith has been a large contributor to periodical literature, his writings being chiefly upon medical, sanitary and psychological subjects. [Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1906, by James T. White, George Derby; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Jabez Gridley Sutherland
Coming from the State of Michigan, where he had acquired fame and prominence as a jurist, his great ability and profound learning as a lawyer were quickly recognized. He was the first President of the Salt Lake Bar Association, also of the Utah Bar Association, subsequently organized: was the author of law books of national repute: the Professor of Legal Science in the Territorial University and during the whole period of his residence here a successful practitioner and an authority on questions and principles of jurisdiction.
Judge Sutherland furnished in his life a striking illustration of what can be accomplished by ambition to achieve, devotion to purpose, and steady, well directed, intelligent application. As a boy he was ambitious to become a lawyer; as a youth he determined to be a lawyer; as a man he became a lawyer.
Judge Sutherland came of old New England stock. He was born October 6, 1825, at Van Buren, Onondaga County, New York: his father, Solomon Sutherland, was a farmer, and like others of his class in Western New York at that time, was not burdened with wealth.
When he was eight years old they moved to Orleans County in the same State, and three years later into what was then the far West, settling in Genessee County, Territory of Michigan. That was long before the West knew railroads. From Detroit to the new home the journey was made by ox teams. They were pioneers in the true sense. During the summer the boy worked on the farm, and in winter attended school at Detroit. In the winter of 1838-1839 he went to school at Birmingham.
In 1841 his father was ruined financially through bad speculations, and the home was lost. Thrown upon his own resources, he returned to his native state, where he sought and found employment as a farm laborer. The second winter after his return to New York, he attended the Academy at Manlius, his evenings being given to teaching the common branches to the factory girls. This ended his school days. In 1843 he returned to Michigan, working on the farm in summer, and in the winter teaching school.
In the summer of 1844 he entered the office of Colonel Wm. M. Fenton, and began the study of law. Two years later, although he had never been inside of a law school, was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the State. A few months after his admission he was appointed by the Governor Prosecuting Attorney for Saginaw County, and went to Saginaw City to reside. In 1850 he was elected a member of the convention to revise the State Constitution. In 1852 he was elected to the lower house of the State Legislature.
In 1858 he was nominated by the Democrats for Attorney General of the State. In 1870 he was elected from the Sixth Michigan District to the Forty-second Congress. In 1863 he was nominated by the Democrats as Judge of the Tenth Judicial District. He was elected for the six year term. At the conclusion of his term he was re-elected without opposition. To the bench he brought the same degree of earnestness and thoroughness which had characterized him as a student and practitioner.
Judge Sutherland came to Salt Lake City in 1873, where he formed a partnership with Hon. George C. Bates. The fame of Sutherland's ability as a lawyer had preceded him only in moderate degree, but it was not long before it was known that he was in the foremost rank of the profession. Almost from the first he was recognized as a learned attorney, and was conceded a leading place in the bar of Utah, which has ever been noted as among the ablest in the land. He married at Flint, Michigan, in 1847, to Sarah D. Thurber.
At the bar Judge Sutherland was connected with many of the great law suits of local fame, involving not only property rights, but personal rights and liberties as well; but it was not as a trial lawyer that the judge won his greatest fame and achieved his most pronounced successes. He preferred the work of the office, the delving into the intricacies of the law, the unraveling of the knotty problems of a science that is full of entanglements to the mind of the layman. He was the author of "Sutherland on Damages," and "Sutherland on Statutory Construction."
In 1881 the Salt Lake Bar Association was organized. Judge Sutherland was chosen the first President, and was afterwards re-elected to that position. In 1894 the Territorial Bar Association was formed. Judge Sutherland was selected President of the new organization, and at the annual meeting in 1895 was re-elected. In 1889 he was chosen a member of the faculty of the University of Utah. In private life the Judge was one of the most genial and most sociable of men, possessing a rich vein of humor.
[Source: "History of the bench and bar of Utah"; By Interstate Press Association; Publ. 1913;
Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Benjamin K. Watson
After many years of toil, in which the elements of danger, hardship and privation have often been present in large measure, and in which he has courageously and vigorously paddled his own canoe from the early age of sixteen, the approaching evening of life finds Benjamin K. Watson, of near Rifle, in Garfield county, comfortably settled on a fine ranch of one hundred and sixty acres in the midst of a productive and progressive region of this state, where he was an early arrival and has been a potent factor in the development and improvement of the country around him. He located here when the whole section was a veritable wilderness, still the abode of its native denizens in human and animal life, and the soil was as yet untouched by the persuasive and molding hand of systematic husbandry. And to its progress from that state of savage wildness to its present condition of fruitfulness and advancing civilization he has been not only an interested witness but a substantial contributor. Mr. Watson was born on August 20, 1830, in Onondaga county, state of New York. The family moved from there to Wisconsin and he afterward took another flight in the wake of the setting sun, locating in Iowa. He attended the public schools in his boyhood, and at the age of sixteen took up the burden of life for himself, becoming a bookkeeper in the city of Dubuque. He next sought the seductive smiles of fortune in the mining camps of Montana and Utah, and in 1879 moved to Denver. With that place as winter headquarters, he passed his summers mining and prospecting in various portions of the state until 1884. In that year he located on the ranch which has since been and is now his home, six miles north of Rifle, taking up the land as a pre-emption claim, one hundred and sixty acres, of which forty-five are well irrigated and under good cultivation. On this portion he raises excellent crops of hay, grain and potatoes with other vegetables, and large quantities of superior fruit, the latter being his main product and chief reliance. He has also devoted considerable attention to the stock industry, being connected with the Grand River Sheep Company from 1887 to 1892. Before coming west he rendered good service to his country in a time of its extreme peril, being a soldier in the Union army during the Civil war, a member of Company I, Second Iowa Cavalry, enlisting as a private and being mustered out in the fall of 1865 as a captain. He is a member of the Masonic order and the Grand Army of the Republic, and in politics earnestly supports the Republican party. Mr. Watson stands well in his community as a worthy citizen and has the lasting regard and good will of all classes of its people. His parents were Joseph and Ann (Metcalf) Watson, natives of England, who came to the United States in 1827. The father was manufacturer of woolens, successful in business, and always a staunch Democrat in politics. Both parents have long been deceased. They had four children, all of whom are living: Sophie, wife of Ladayette Odell, of New Jersey; Dr. William Watson, of Oak Park, Chicago; Joseph M., of Newcastle, Colorado, and Benjamin K., the interesting subject of this sketch.
[Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

John Wilkinson
WILKINSON, John; merchant, was born at Syracuse, N. Y., Feb. 14, 1840. He is a direct descendant of Lawrence Wilkinson, who came to this country in 1645 and went to Rhode Island with Roger Williams. His great-grandfather, Capt. Daniel Wilkinson, commanded a company in the French and Indian war, and his grandfather, John Wilkinson, was taken prisoner and confined in New York harbor on the prison-ship Jersey during the latter part of the revolution. The subject of this sketch was educated in the private and public schools of Syracuse, and at the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. In 1861 he went to St. Paul, Minn. where he studied law, and also engaged in the service of the Indian department of the U. S. government. On being admitted to the bar he began the practice of law in St. Paul in 1862, but soon after, on the death of his father, returned to Syracuse, where he remained three years in the internal revenue department. He then spent two years and a half in European travel. In 1868 he removed to Chicago, where he entered into partnership with J. J. Parkhurst in the iron business. From small beginnings the firm of Parkhurst & Wilkinson, dealers in iron and heavy hardware, and wagon and carriage material, has grown steadily, until it is the largest strictly mercantile concern in its line in the United States. The great fire of 1871 swept away a large part of its assets, but, thanks to its own energy, and the unlimited credit which was then extended to every Chicago firm of unblemished reputation, it quickly reframed its prestige. In 1872 Mr. Wilkinson organized the John Wilkinson Co., for the purpose of dealing in sporting goods and supplies, tools and materials for wood-carving and scroll-sawing, which last he introduced into this country, and other manual pursuits for the young. Later he made supplies for amateur photography a leading feature of his business, and he has to-day, probably, the largest private photographic studio in the West. The immense growth of useful amusement-manual training, it may be called-is illustrated by the magnitude of the operations of the John Wilkinson Co. Mr. Wilkinson himself has written several books in the line of this work, under the name of "Arthur Hope." One of these, "Sorrento and Inlaid Work," has had a circulation of more than 120,000 copies. He has been for many years' secretary and treasurer of the Chicago Athenaeum, and is a member of the leading literary and social clubs in that city. He has had seven children, four of whom are living. Mr. Wilkinson is a man of unceasing activity of mind and body. Although giving his attention to two large business houses, he finds time to pursue many other lines, whether it be amateur photography (upon which he has written) or microscopy, or work in his private shop, or at chess, on which he has published an entire volume of problems. He is never without some engrossing pursuit.
{Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1906, by James T. White, George Derby; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.}

William B. Wood
WOOD, William Bell; born, Syracuse, N. Y., July 4, 1870; son of Orson B. and Frances (Bush) Wood; educated at Albion College, Mich.; married at Albion, 1894, Miss Carrie Brown. Began business career in Chicago in employ of Fairbanks, Morse & Co., scales, engines, pumps and electrical machinery, 1892; came to Detroit as manager local branch, 1904, and has so continued. Member National Credit Men's .Association, Detroit Board of Commerce, Detroit Engineering Society. Republican. Methodist. Member A. F. & A. M. Clubs: Commercial, Detroit Motor. Office: 86 Jefferson Av. Residence: 626 Trumbull Av.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails