BRAGG, Alice F.
Services for Alice Fields Bragg, 69, of 200 Pearl St., Liverpool, who died Tuesday at St. Joseph's Hospital, will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Greenleaf Funeral Home. Burial will be in Pleasant Lawn Cemetery, Parish. Calling hours will be 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Friday at the funeral home, 503 W. Onondaga St. Mrs. Bragg was a life resident of the Syracuse area. Her husband, Harry, died May 28. Mrs. Bragg retired as head baker after 20 years with the Syracuse School District. Surviving are two sons, Harry III of Baldwinsville and Jeffrey of Syracuse; two daughters, Martha Crawford of Liverpool and Linda Prue of Syracuse; a sister, Helen Chitel of Liverpool; a brother, Raymond Fields of Syracuse; 14 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild. [Post-Standard, The (Syracuse, NY) - July 13, 1989. Submitted by Erica.]
BRAGG, Harry E.
Services for Harry E. Bragg II, 80, of 200 Pearl St., Liverpool, who died Sunday at his home after a long illness, will be 11 a.m. Thursday at Greenleaf Funeral Home. Burial will be in Pleasant Lawn Cemetery, Parish. Calling hours will be 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m Wednesday at the funeral home, 503 W. Onondaga St. He was a life resident of the Syracuse area. Mr. Bragg owned and operated Services Dry Cleaners for 35 years until his retirement. He was a veteran of World War II. He is survived by his wife, Alice Fields Bragg; two sons, Harry III of Baldwinsville and Jeffery of Eastwood; two daughters, Martha Crawford of Liverpool and Linda Prue of Syracuse; his brother and sister-in-law, Robert and Helen Chitel of Syracuse; 14 grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter. [Post-Standard, The (Syracuse, NY) - May 30, 1989. Submitted by Erica.]
DUNNELL, A. A.
ELKHORN, July 9 – A. A. Dunnell, a brother-in-law of Judge Dyer, of Milwaukee, died yesterday, aged 76. He was a native of Onondago county, N.Y., and settled in the town of Lafayette at an early day. [Source: Wisconsin State Journal (Madison, WI) Friday, 12 July, 1889; MZ, tr. by FoFG]
Birth: Jun. 15, 1826 Onondaga County New York, USA
Death: Dec. 25, 1908 Steuben County Indiana, USA
Russell Little was born in Onondaga county, N.Y. June 15, 1826, died in Steuben county, Ind., Dec. 25, 1908. Aged 82 years, 6 months,10 days. His parents removed to Erie, Pa. when he was 7 years old, from thence to Steuben county when he was fourteen years of age.
He was married to Martha J. Crane in 1851. Fourteen children were born to this union. They resided on their farm three miles southwest of Hamilton, Ind. until the family was grown up. In 1892, father and mother Little moved to the home of their son Oscar near Butler, Ind. In the same year the family moved to the farm in Otsego township, Steuben county. Martha J. Little died in 1893. The father made his home with Oscar most of the remaining years of his life.
There remains to mourn his departure six sons and one daughter, thirty-one grandchildren, four great-grandchildren and many friends.
Many years ago father Little joined the United Brethren church at Bellefontaine Chapel. Upon the disbanding of the class he united with the Methodist Episcopal church in Hamilton, Ind. He has lived a consistent Christian life being faithful until death. Funeral was held from the U. B. church Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. R. A. Morrison. Interment in Hamilton cemetery. Burial: Hamilton Cemetery Hamilton (Steuben County) Steuben County Indiana, USA [unknown newspaper, c. Dec 1908 - sub. by Barbara Little]
MAY, Samuel Joseph
Class of 1817 – SAMUEL JOSEPH MAY, youngest son of Joseph and Dorothy (Sewall) May, was born in Boston, 12 September, 1797.
His father (born 1760, died 1841) was a merchant of Boston, and one of the members of King’s Chapel, who, in 1787, ordained the Rev. James Freeman to be their minister. He was the life-long and intimate friend of Dr. Freeman, as also, afterwards, of his successor, Rev. F.W.P. Greenwood.
His mother was daughter of Deacon Samuel Sewall, of Boston, whose father, Joseph Sewall, D.D. (H.C. 1707), was long pastor of the Old Church South; his father being Chief Justice Samuel Sewall, of Massachusetts, 1718-28, whose honorable record is that, having participated in the trials and condemnations for witchcraft at Salem (1692-93), he afterwards made public confession of the wrong, asking forgiveness of God and man, on account of the part he had borne in them.
Samuel Joseph May grew up under the plain and wholesome home instruction, and under the influence of Dr. Freeman’s ministry, which he ever regarded as a chief good fortune of his life. His first school-teacher, of whom we are informed, was Mr. Cummings, afterwards of the bookselling firm of Cummings & Hilliard; his next, for a short time, Mr. Launcelot Lyon. At eleven years old he was put to Mr. Daniel Adams, and shortly afterwards to the school of Rev. Dr. Richmond, at Stoughton. At the age of thirteen he became a pupil of Mr. Elisha Clap, an exact and able teacher, whose school was in the basement of the First Church, Chauncy Place, and remained with him until he entered college, at the age of sixteen, in 1813. He held a very respectable rank in his class. In his first year he took a first Bowdoin prize, for an essay on “The Causes of the Varieties in National Character.” No freshman had ever before, we believe, gained a Bowdoin prize. At Commencement he had part, with Samuel A. Eliot, of Boston, in a colloquial discussion of “The Sabbath, Jewish and Christian.”
Immediately after graduating, 1817, he commenced his studies for the Christian ministry with Rev. Henry Colman, whom he also assisted in his classical school at Hingham. In 1818 he entered the theological school at Cambridge, pursuing these studies with great interest. He first preached in December, 1820, in the pulpit of his friend, the late W.B.O. Peabody, of Springfield. During a considerable part of 1821 he was the assistant of Rev. Wm. E. Channing in pulpit and pastoral work. Ordained in Boston at the First Church, 13 March, 1822, he went at once to Brooklyn, Connecticut, and entered upon a ministry which continued fourteen years. He brought the small and harassed society there into a state of efficiency and harmony, and identified himself and them with many objects of public improvement and human benefit. He assisted in forming the Windham County Peace Society, in or about 1826. In that year, also, he brought the subject of entire abstinence from intoxicating drinks before the town, and an active society was formed. He was a member of the school committee during the whole time, and, the condition of the schools being low, joined with others in calling a state convention in October, 1827, “the first convention,” says Hon. Henry Barnard, editor of the “American Journal of Education,” “ever held in the country to consider the condition of the common schools, and propose the improvement of them.” For many years the condition of the slaves in the United States had much affected him, and in October, 1830, he became fully committed to the movement for the abolition of slavery, giving his hand and help to Mr. Garrison, and remaining his close and firm friend to the end of his life. He took up earnestly the cause of Miss Crandall, teacher of a school for colored girls in the adjoining town of Canterbury, whose people had undertaken to suppress the school by violence, if necessary.
In December, 1833, he was a member of the convention, at Philadelphia, which formed the American Antislavery Society. In 1834 he obtained leave of absence from his society at Brooklyn, that he might give himself wholly for a time to the service of the Massachusetts Antislavery Society, as their general agent; which he did, encountering in several places violent opposition. “I was mobbed,” he says, “five times.”
In 1836 he left Brooklyn, and in October was installed pastor of the Congregational Church and Society in South Scituate, Massachusetts, where he passed, he says, “six of the happiest years of my life.” He became well known in Plymouth County for active labors in behalf of common-school education, of temperance, and of the abolition of slavery; and he took an active part in securing the re-election of ex-President John Quincy Adams to Congress, after his brave defense there of the right of petition. At the call of the State Board of Education, he left South Scituate in 1842 and became principal of the first state normal school, then established at Lexington. He held this place two years, and until the re-establishment of the health of its former principal. For a short time he served at the First Lexington Church as their minister, and was influential in settling a long-standing controversy concerning the ministerial fund.
In April, 1845, he removed to Syracuse, New York, answering a unanimous invitation to become minister of the Unitarian society, now known as the Church of the Messiah. Thenceforward, until April, 1868, when he had attained the age of 70, he continued their pastor, in abundant ministerial labors, and with the same active interest in education, in temperance, and in the abolition of slavery, which he had manifested elsewhere. And not these alone: but the remnant of the Indian tribes in that vicinity, the homeless boys of the canals, the charitable institutions of the city, and the fugitive slaves from the Southern states, who came in considerable numbers through Syracuse, found in him a friend and helper. In October, 1851, he took a leading part in the successful rescue from the hands of the United States officers of Jerry McHenry, who had been arrested and imprisoned as a fugitive from slavery. And when, slavery being abolished, three millions of slaves by the long-delayed justice of the nation became free men, he was among the first to organize means and agencies of relieving their immediate necessities and of educating their children. Once during the late war he visited Virginia, to inspect the freedmen’s schools there; and twice, previously to the war, he visited the settlements of fugitive slaves in Canada West. A writer in the Syracuse “Daily Standard,” soon after his death, said: “It was a bold undertaking for a minister in this state, a quarter of a century ago, thus unreservedly to identify himself with these obnoxious reforms: but in his church no root of bitterness was planted by the efforts of its pastor; on the contrary, he nurtured and tended the seed of his own sowing within it, and it sprang up and bore abundant fruit. He educated his church up to his own standards.”
From an early period in his ministry he opposed the taking of human life for the penalty of a crime. The subject of equal civil rights for women early engaged his attention, and the woman suffrage movement counts him as among its first advocates. Among his most cherished friends in Central New York was the Hon. Gerrit Smith, with whom he co-operated in religious and moral reforms, and aided in his extensive plans of benevolence.
The greater part of 1859 he spent in a tour in Europe. For five years (1865-70) he was president of the Board of Education of Syracuse, and one of the public school-houses was called by his name. He exerted himself to have corporal punishment entirely disused in public schools, and with success in Syracuse. During some of the latter years of his life he was president of the Association of Alumni of the Divinity School of Cambridge. He was also presiding officer of the conference of liberal Christian churches in Central New York.
He was married, 1 June, 1825, to Lucretia Flagge Coffin, daughter of Peter Coffin, Esq., of Boston. Five children were born to them, of whom four still survive, viz.: John Edward, born 7 October, 1829; Charlotte Coffin, born 24 April, 1833 (married Alfred Wilkinson, 1854); Joseph, born 21 January, 1836 (H.C. 1857); George Emerson, born 25 September, 1844. Mrs. May died at Syracuse, 8 May, 1865.
After dissolving his connection with the Church of the Messiah, 1868, he extended his field of labor, as preacher and reformer, through Central and Western New York. He took a warm interest in the establishment of Cornell University, and gave to that institution, a few months before his death, his entire antislavery library, which received a special place there, with the name of the May Collection. For several years his health had been a good deal impaired, and a painful lameness had much increased; but he was never long confined to the house, nor detained from occupation, until the spring and early summer of 1871, when an illness of many weeks quite disabled him. He was believed to be recovering, however, and on 1 July saw several friends, and conversed much and cheerfully, his last visitor being his friend Andrew D. White, president of Cornell University. Late in the evening he suddenly became more ill, and very soon breathed his last, in love and peace. The funeral services, on 6 July, were attended by great numbers, both at the church and at Oakwood cemetery, addresses being made by Messrs. C.D.B. Mills, William Lloyd Garrison, Bishop Loguen. Of the African Methodist Church, Rev. William P. Tilden, Rev. S.R. Calthrop, President White, of Cornell, Rev. T.J. Mumford, and Rev. E.W. Mundy. (The Scriptures also were read, and prayers offered by Rev. Messrs. Calthrop and Frederick Frothingham.) At the grave, President White said: “Here lies before us all that was moral of the best man, the most truly Christian man, I have ever known.” The above addresses, etc., together with the proceedings of the church and citizens, and an eloquent sketch of his life and character, which appeared in the Syracuse “Daily Standard,” 3 July, 1871, were published by his friends in Syracuse, making a memorial pamphlet of seventy-five pages. Other notices of him appeared in “The Independent,” “The Liberal Christian,” and “The Evening Post” (New York), and in “The Christian Register” (Boston).
Of his printed publications, the first were “An Exposition of the Sentiments and Purposes of the Windham County Peace Society,” and a sermon on “The Treatment of Enemies prescribed by Christianity” (about 1826). There were also “Letters to Rev. Joel Hawes, D.D., on his Tribute to the Memory of the Pilgrims,” 1831; “Discourse on Slavery in the United States,” 1831; “The Right of Colored People to Education Vindicated: Letters to Andrew T. Judson, Esq., and others, in Canterbury,” 1833; “Letter to the Editor of ‘The Christian Examiner,’” 1834; “Fourth Annual Report of the Massachusetts Antislavery Society,” 1836; “Discourse on the Death of Mrs. Cecilia Brooks,,” 1837; “Discourse on the Life and Character of the Rev. Charles Follen, LL.D.,” 1840; “Emancipation in the British West Indies: an Address,” etc., 1845; “Jesus the Best Teacher of his Religion: a Discourse before the Graduating Class of the Cambridge Theological School,” 1847; “A Discussion on the Doctrine of the Trinity,” with Rev. Luther Lee, 1854; “An Address before the American Peace Society,” 1860; “A Brief Account of his Ministry,” a discourse to his own church, 1867. (The proceeding all in pamphlet form.) “Some Recollections of our Antislavery Conflict.” 16 mo. pp. 408, 1869. His latest publication was a small tract, entitled, “Complaint against the Presbyterians and some of their Doctrines,” 1871. Other publications were, a memoir of Cyrus Pierce, published in Mr. Barnard’s “Journal of Education;” tracts of the American Unitarian Association, one of which, “What do Unitarians Believe?” has had a wide circulation; several articles in the “Liberty Bell,” an antislavery annual; tracts in the woman’s rights movement; communications to Rev. Dr. Sprague’s “Annals of the American Pulpit;” to the “Independent” (on corporal punishment, and recollections of Arthur Tappan) and to the Syracuse journals many sermons, letters from Europe, etc.
He established and edited at Brooklyn, Conn., in 1823 or 1824, “The Liberal Christian;” and again, in 1832, “The Christian Monitor,” both weekly journals, devoted to making known and advocating the theological belief and the humane life, which he cherished as the essence of true religion. In 1833 he established, also at Brooklyn, “The Unionist,” as a weekly anti-slavery paper, and to defend the rights of the free colored people of the land, being enabled to do this last by the cordial encouragement and pecuniary liberality of Arthur Tappan, of New York. The one great, constant work of his simple, pure, and upright life was to make Christianity a practical, actual, living reality. He was by nature, as well as choice, a religious teacher. [Source: The Necrology of Harvard College 1869-1872; published 1872; transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Syracuse, N.Y., Aug 31 - Alvin Miller, of Collamer, dropped dead in East Syracuse this morning of heart disease. [National Republican., (Washington City (D.C.) September 01, 1882]
Died recently, at the Onondaga Castle, Onondaga Co, Mixton, one the chiefs of the Onondaga tribe of Indians, aged about 53 yrs. So trusted by the white man, he has frequently had credit of the merchants to the amount of upwards of $1,200.
[Daily National Intelligencer, JAN 1, 1821 - Submitted by K. T.]
POPE, John B.
John B. Pope, a telgraph operator, of East Syracuse, died suddenly this morning of heart disease. [National Republican., (Washington City (D.C.) September 01, 1882]
Squire James Stacy of King Grove, informs us that he has received the sad intelligence of the death of his aged mother, Mrs. Agnes Stacy, which occurred on February 26, 1876, in Elbridge, Onondaga county, New York, at the mature age of 80 years. We regret that the Squire did not furnish us with the facts about the life and history of the deceased for publication. [The Holt County Sentinel, Friday, March 17, 1876 - Sub. by Kathy McDaniel]
Death of Mrs. Isaac STODDARD.
After a lingering illness of several months, Mrs. Isaac STODDARD, died at her home, in West Batavia,(Kane County, IL) Nov. 16th, aged 75 years. Dinah, wife of Isaac STODDARD, was born, in England, in 1818. When a young lady, she came to this country, settling in Syracuse, N. Y., where she married Mr. Isaac STODDARD, in 1838, and they were permitted to enjoy the bonds of matrimony for 56 years, when the wife was taken away, and leaves the sorrow stricken husband entirely alone, as they have no children or near relatives. The aged and inform husband is to be pitied, to thus be left in sorrow and loneliness.
The funeral was held Friday, at the house, conducted by Rev. J. D. Leek, and the remains buried in the West Side Cemetery. [Batavia (IL) Herald, 23 Nov. 1893 - Sub. by K.T.]
STRIEBY, Michael E.
Class of 1874 – MICHAEL EPAPHRODITUS STRIEBY (D.D.) Born, Sept. 26, 1815, in Columbiana, Ohio. Son of Christopher Harper and Elizabeth (Punghes) Strieby. Entered Hudson College in 1831, but went to Oberlin after two years, where he graduated in 1838; pursued theological studies in Oberlin Seminary, but did not graduate on account of ill health; ordained and made pastor of the Free Presbyterian Church, Mount Vernon, Ohio, April 7, 1842; pastor Plymouth Congregational Church, Syracuse, N.Y., 1852-63; removed to Newark, N.J., in 1864, and in 1868 organized the Belleville Avenue Congregational Church, serving as its pastor one and a half years, in 1864 appointed secretary of the American Missionary Association, which office he retained until 1896; LL.D., Howard University, 1892; for many years editor of the “American Missionary.” Among his more important publications were the following pamphlets: (1) Early Anti-Slavery Missions and their Outcome; (2) Caste in America; (3) Destiny of the African Races; (4) The American Freedmen as Factors in African Evangelization; (5) Place and Work of the American Missionary Association; (6) History of the American Missionary Association, with illustrative facts and incidents; (7) History of Congregationalism in the United States; (8) The Brotherhood of Man; (9) Missions the Work of the Era; (10) The Look Forward; (11) The Work of Half a Generation among the Freedman; (12) Forty Years of Missionary Work; (13) Outlook for the Future. Died, March 16, 1899, in Clifton Springs, N.Y.
Married, Nov. 7, 1842, Ellen Frances, daughter of Abram and Cornelia (Humphreys) Griswold of Gustavus, Ohio, who died Jan. 7, 1892. Children: Henry Martyn, Cornelia Elizabeth, Francis Harper, Mary, William, Edwin Griswold, George Howard, of whom three are living. [Source: "Dartmouth College Necrology, 1898-1899", Hanover, N.H., Dartmouth Press, 1899. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
WARNER, Abner S.
Class of 1842 - ABNER SPICER WARNER. Born, Sept. 7, 1818, Manlius, N.Y. Son of Abner and Eliza (Spicer) Warner. Fitted at Kimball Union academy. Received the degree of M.D. from Dartmouth Medical college in 1848. After graduation he taught two years as principal of Appleton academy, New Ipswich, N.H., and two years in a similar position in the Newport High School. He removed to Wethersfield in 1848, where he began the practice of his profession. In 1878 Dr. Warner represented the town of Wethersfield in the general assembly. He was physician of the state prison for forty years. During the Civil war he served as surgeon of the sixteenth Connecticut from Aug. 24, 1862 to Jan. 9, 1863.
Died, Nov. 22, 1900, at Wethersfield, Conn., of rheumatism and old age.
Married (1) Nov. 23, 1847, Caroline Celinda, daughter of William Ripley and Eliza D. (Dorr) Kimball, Cornish, N.H., who died Sept. 12, 1866; (2) June 7, 1869, Jane Maria, daughter of James and Eliza (Reed) Spalding, West Meriden, Conn. Children: George Abner, Caroline Eliza, Mary Lucia, Elizabeth Williams, Eliza Spicer, and George Spalding, of whom the first one and last two are deceased. [Source: "Dartmouth College Necrology, 1900-1901, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAMS, Diana (Thomas)
Mrs. Henry C. Williams - born in the town of La Fayette, Onondaga county, N.Y., May 15, 1825. Came to Wisconsin in 1865. Died at Madison, September 27, 1905. [Source: Proceedings of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin (1906) Wisconsin Necrology, page 142; MZ, tr. by FoFG]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails