Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Oswego County
New York
Genealogy and History



Biographies

Herbert E. ALLEN
Merchant, mem. of Assembly; b. Mexico, Oswego Co., N.Y., Dec. 13, 1874.  Moved to Clinton, N.Y., 1884, and attended Clinton Grammar Sch., 1884-89.  Now engaged in hardware business.  Mem. Republican County Comm. of Oneida County from town of Kirkland, 1908-10; chm’n of Town Com., 1906 and 1907.  Mem. of Assembly from Oneida Co., 1910, 1911, 1912, 1913.  Club:  Shenandoah (Clinton).  Address: Clinton, Oneida County, N.Y.  [Source: WHO’S WHO IN NEW YORK A Biographical Dictionary of Prominent     Citizens of New York City and State, Edited by Herman W. Knox; 7th Edition (1917-1918) Who’s Who Publications, 115 Broadway, New York City; transcribed by Vivian Nichols]



Clarence D. CLARK
Clarence Don Clark, U. S. Senator; attorney; (Rep); b. April 16, 1851, Sandy Cree, Oswego county, New York; educ. Common schools and Iowa State University; admitted to bar in 1874 and taught school and practiced law in Delaware county, Iowa, until 1881; located in Evanston, Wyoming, 1881, where he has since resided; prosecuting attorney, Uinta county, Wyo., four years; delegate to Republican national conventions of 1888, 1900, 1904 and 1908; appointed associate justice of the territory of Wyoming, 1890, but declined the office; elected to the fifty-first and fifty-second congresses from Wyoming; defeated for fifty-third congress, by fusion of Democrats and Populist; elected to U. S. Senate, Jan. 23, 1895-March, 3, 1899, to fill vacancy caused by the failure of the legislature to elect, 1892-3; re-elected 1899, 1905 and 1911; term of office expires March 3, 1917; mem. 33 deg. Mason. Address: Evanston, Wyoming.
[Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915, Transcribed by Richard Ramos]



Theodore E. HANCOCK
Lawyer, Public Official.
The Hon. Theodore E. Hancock had a fixed rule in the practice of law, and that was never to waste energy upon points which did not count. He made that move which was necessary to win, and saved the others for a possible failure. All through his life, which has brought him one of the highest honors in the gift of the people of his State, that of Attorney- General, Mr. Hancock has made it his rule to go directly to the root of matters and never waste energy. This trait was directly the cause of his being the choice in many important cases, it made him the counsel who was sought after, and when it came to the administration of the affairs of his high office, he was the man who could not be swerved from his fixed purpose to serve the people all the time.

Mr. Hancock was born in the town of Granby, Oswego county, New York, May 30, 1847. His ancestors were Martha Vineyard stock, several generations of sturdy sailors who faced the rigors of long whaling voyages, and women who had learned the patience that comes of watching and waiting. Mr. Hancock received his early education at Falley Seminary, Fulton, New York, from which he went to the Wesleyan University, and was graduated from this institution in the class of 1871. He next became a student at Columbia Law School, New York City, from which he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1873, and in September of the same year, having been duly admitted to the bar, commenced his legal practice in Syracuse. He formed a law partnership with William Gilbert, under the firm name of Gilbert & Hancock, which was continued for some time. Subsequently he took as a partner Page Monroe, the firm being Hancock & Monroe, and in 1888 the famous firm was organized which was known as Hancock, Beach, Peck & De- vine. In 1889 Mr. Hancock was elected district attorney of Onondaga county, an office which he administered with signal ability. November 7, 1893, he was elected Attorney-General, succeeding himself at the next election for this office, and serving until January i, 1899. William A. Beach, one of the members of the firm, retiring from it, John W. Hogan, who had served long and well in the Attorney- General's office in Albany, came to Syracuse from Watertown, and the firm of Hancock, Hogan & Devine was formed. Some time after the death of Mr. Devine, in 1907, Stewart F. Hancock, a son of the Hon. Theodore E. Hancock, was admitted to the firm, and it became known under the name of Hancock, Hogan & Hancock. Upon the election of John W. Hogan as Judge of the Court of Appeals in 1912, the firm became Hancock, Spriggs & Hancock, the present members being: Theodore E. Hancock, Stewart F. Hancock, Clarence Z. Spriggs, Clarence E. Hancock, Myran S. Melvin.

Of the many matters to the credit of Mr. Hancock while serving as Attorney General, none has received wider publicity and greater attention from the people at large than the inauguration and continuance of the fight to preserve the great forests of the State for the people. Only those who were conversant with the situation will ever know the influences which were brought to bear to get these forests away from the State. In both civil and criminal practice Mr. Hancock has shown his legal acumen, and this has placed his name among the great lawyers of Onondaga. As an orator he is of the direct and forcible kind, yet possessed of a power of descriptive effort which has made quotations from, his speeches to juries and upon the political forum matters of record. It was Mr. Hancock's speech at a reunion of veterans, at which time he called attention to the power of a county to issue bonds for the purpose of erecting a soldiers' monument, that revived the interest in a soldiers' memorial, and started the movement which resulted in the acquirement of the monument now built on Clinton Square. In pursuance of his idea of thorough investigation and progress in public affairs, Mr. Hancock has been chosen to, and served in, the directorates of many charitable and other public institutions. In 1897 Wesleyan University conferred the degree of Doctor of Laws, of which institution he is still a trustee. He was president of the Onondaga County Bar Association from 1900 to 1907.

Mr. Hancock married, in 1882, Martha Connelly, of Wheeling, West Virginia, and three children were born to them: I. Stewart F., born in Syracuse, April 4, 1883; received his elementary education in the public schools of Syracuse, was graduated from Wesleyan University in the class of 1905, from the Law School of Syracuse in 1907, in which year he was admitted to the bar; he at once commenced the practice of law in the same year in Syracuse, as a member of the firm of Hancock, Hogan & Hancock; he served as assistant corporation counsel of the city of Syracuse from January i, 1908, to January i, 1914; his religious membership is with the Park Presbyterian Church, and his fraternal with the following organizations : University Club, City Club, Citizens' Club, and Central City Lodge, and Westminster Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows ; Mr. Hancock married Marion, a daughter of the late Justice Peter B. McLennan ; two children were born of this union. 2. Clarence E., born in Syracuse, February 13, 1885 ; was graduated from the public schools there, from Wesleyan University in 1906, and from the New York Law School in 1908 ; admitted to the bar in the same year, he is now a member of the firm of Hancock, Spriggs & Hancock ; he is a member of the Alpha Delta Phi, Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Delta Phi Club of New York, Onondaga Golf and Country Club, Sedgwick Farm Club, University Club, City Club and Troop D, National Guard of New York. 3. Martha, educated at Syracuse University and at Wellesly College ; resides at home.
[Source: p.97-99 "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY OF NEW YORK" • A Life Record of Men and Women of the Past Whose Sterling Character and Energy and Industry Have Made Them Preeminent in Their Own and Many Other States, BY CHARLES ELLIOTT FITCH, L. H. D. American Historical Society, New York, 1916 p. 200 – 204. Submitted by Robyn Greenlund]


John F. MURPHY
MURPHY, John Francis, artist, was born in Oswego, N.Y., Dec. 11, 1853. He attended the public schools of Oswego, and early turned his attention to the study of art which he pursued without a teacher. He opened a studio in New York city in 1875, as a landscape painter, and first exhibited his work at the National Academy of Design in 1876. He received the second Hallgarten prize for “Tints of a Vanished Past” in 1885. He was elected a member of the Society of American Artists in 1883; of the American Water Color society; an associate of the National Academy of Design and in 1885, and academician in 1887. He won the Carnegie prize of the Society of American Artists in 1902. Among his paintings are: Sun Slopes (1879); Upland Cornfield (1880); October (1881); Woodland (1882); Rocky Slope (1883); Weedy Brook (1884); The Yellow Leaf (1885); Indian Summer (1886); Sundown (1886); Brooks and Fields (1887); and October Fog (foreign 1902).
[Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos]


Frederick Bartlett SCOTT
Manufacturer, Financier.
There is no rule for achieving success. Many theories have been advanced and much has been written on the subject, and yet investigation into the lives of successful men brings to light the fact that they owe their progress and prosperity, not to any favorable chance, but to the untiring labor which, carefully directed by sound judgment, never fails to win a merited reward. This statement finds verification in the life of Frederick Bartlett Scott, of Syracuse, president of the Syracuse Supply Company, and holding that and other official position in a number of other corporations. It has been his watchfulness of the trade, his careful recognition of the demands of the public, and his strong and steady purpose to achieve success through persistent and honorable labor, that has gained for him his present prosperity.

Leonard W. Scott, a descendant of the kings of Holland, was born in Johnstown, Fulton county, New York, and died in Syracuse, New York, in February, 1882. Having taken up his residence in Onondaga county, New York, he was for many years a dealer in carriages in Syracuse, becoming later many years a dealer in carriages in Syracuse, becoming later a contractor on an extended scale. He married Harriet Bartlett, a Puritan descendant, who was born in Cleveland, New York, and died in 1904. They have five children of whom the only survivor at the present time is:
Frederick Bartlett Scott, who was born in Constantia, Oswego county, New York, September 26, 1857. He attended the public schools of his native town until the age of fourteen years, when the family removed to Syracuse, and his education was completed in the public schools of that city. His entrance upon his business career was as an employee of S. P. Pierce & Sons, dealers in china and glassware, where he remained for a period of eleven years, during which time he learned every detail of this business thoroughly, and rose to a responsible position with the concern. Other positions brought him into contact with other concerns and greatly extended his field of service. Having decided to establish himself in business independently, Mr. Scott, in February, 1887, founded the business conducted under the name of the Syracuse Supply Company, and this was incorporated in 1891, and reincorporated in 1905. Fifty-five people are constantly employed in the manufacture of leather belting, and in dealing in iron and wood working machinery, boilers, engines, steam appliances and manufacturers' supplies. They are also jobbers in electrical machinery and supplies, and from the outset the affairs of this concern have been conducted along the most modern and progressive lines. Great as have been the demands made upon the time of Mr. Scott by his important business, he has nevertheless been identified with a variety of interests also of great importance and value. He is vice-president of the Holcomb Steel Company, the Hudson Portland Cement Company, the Amphion Piano Player Company of Syracuse, and was for several years vice-president of the Hudson River Realty Company. He is president of the Star Lake Land Company at Star Lake, New York, president of the Glenwood Land Company, New Jersey; vice-president of the Hammond Steel & Forge Company, Syracuse ; director of Morris Plan Company Bank, and his executive ability in all of these responsible offices has been largely instrumental in their continued success. The Republican party has always had his consistent support, and on many occasions he has served in public affairs, greatly to the benefit of the community. He is a member of the Park Presbyterian Church, and a trustee of this institution. His membership with various organizations is as follows : The Citizens' Club, the Technology Club, the Anglers' Association, Bellevue Country Club. He is a member of the Syracuse Chamber of Commerce, and as a director of this body his sound judgment was a factor not to be overlooked. He has served on the commission to build the Young Men's Christian Association, and on that to investigate the lighting system of the city.

Mr. Scott married, in September, 1886, Belle, a daughter of Hiram L. and Ruth M. Hawley, of Syracuse. Children : Walter H. and Harold H., who have been graduated from Yale University ; Harold B., married Mabel Brace, of Tarrytown, New York; Frederick H., student at Cornell University, who has just attained his majority; Marion Belle, graduate of Syracuse University, married Maxwell Brace, of Tarrytown, New York, 1913.

[Source: p. 147-148, "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY OF NEW YORK" • A Life Record of Men and Women of the Past Whose Sterling Character and Energy and Industry Have Made Them Preeminent in Their Own and Many Other States, BY CHARLES ELLIOTT FITCH, L. H. D. American Historical Society, New York, 1916 p. 200 – 204. Submitted by Robyn Greenlund]


Albert E. NETTLETON
Manufacturer, Financier.
The city of Syracuse, New York, is justly celebrated as a manufacturing center, and the business of manufacturing shoes is one of its most important industries. Prominently identified with this particular branch of manufacture is Albert E. Nettleton, who is regarded as one of the conservative business men of the city, progressive and modern in all that he undertakes to do. The social and political affairs of the city are given their fair share of his attention, and he is an unostentatious yet generous patron of any plan that is afoot to better the cause of humanity.
For the greater part of a century, the name of Nettleton has been associated with the shoe trade in the State of New York. Edward Nettleton established one of the first boot and shoe stores in the village of Fulton, New York, about 1837, and personally and successfully conducted this until his death in 1864, when his sons, Franklin E. and Samuel W., succeeded him, and conducted affairs according to the most approved methods, and they in turn were succeeded by their brother, Augustus C. Nettleton.

Albert E. Nettleton, son of Edward Nettleton, was born in Fulton, Oswego county. New York, October 29, 1850. His early education was acquired in the public schools of that section, and this he later supplemented by attendance at the Falley Seminary, in Fulton, being graduated from this institution in the class of 1869. Upon the completion of his studies, he found employment in the business of his brother, Augustus C. Nettleton, who had succeeded his two older brothers, and in 1872 Albert E. Nettleton succeeded his brother, Augustus C., purchasing the business from him. In 1875 he also established a shoe store in Cazenovia, New York, which he conducted until 1881, and from 1881 to 1884 he also conducted a shoe store in Lyons, New York. In 1879 he came to Syracuse, and there purchased the boot and shoe factory of James R. Barrett, and later formed a partnership with W. A. Hill, this firm conducting business under the style of A. E. Nettleton & Company. By purchasing the interests of his associates, Mr. Nettleton became the sole owner of the .concern, making a specialty of the manufacture of men's shoes, for which his plant earned a well merited reputation. He employed upwards of six hundred hands, and the products of the factory go to all parts of the world, finding a ready sale. Only the best materials are used, in proportion to the cost of the finished product, and only the best work done. His aim was to build up a reputation and business on the actual value and merit of his product, and this he accomplished most successfully.

But the manufacture of shoes is not the only enterprise with which Mr. Nettleton is closely connected. He was elected president of the Fulton Paper Company in November, 1893 ; is president of the C. A. Whelan Company ; second vice-president of the Great Lakes Steamship Company ; trustee of Onondaga County Savings Bank ; director of the National Bank of Syracuse ; director of the Syracuse Trust Company ; director of the Empire Savings and Loan Association, elected in April, 1892, and director of the Paragon Plaster Company, becoming a member of its board of directors at its organization in 1888. Mr. Nettleton has shown marked ability as a financier, his counsel and advice being frequently sought and always followed.

Mr. Nettleton is deeply interested in the public welfare, and uses his utmost influence to better existing conditions in every way that lies in his power, succeeding well in his efforts. His life history most happily illustrates what may be attained by faithful and continued effort in carrying out an honest purpose. Untiring activity and energy are prominent factors in the success he has achieved, and his example is well worthy of emulation by the youth of the present day. He is scrupulously honorable in all his undertakings with mankind, and bears a reputation for public and private integrity second to no man. He is sociable and genial in disposition, and has a wide circle of friends.
p. 157-158 Biographies taken from: ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY OF NEW YORK • A Life Record of Men and Women of the Past Whose Sterling Character and Energy and Industry Have Made Them Preeminent in Their Own and Many Other States, BY CHARLES ELLIOTT FITCH, L. H. D. American Historical Society, New York, 1916 p. 200 – 204. Submitted by Robyn


Fenimore CHATTERTON
Chatterton, Fenimore, lawyer, state senator, jurist, governor, was born July 21, 1860, in Oswego, N.Y. He was educated in the public schools of Washington, D.C.; and graduated from the law department of the University of Michigan. He has been county treasurer, probate judge and prosecuting attorney of Carbon County; and a member of the Wyoming state senate. In 1890-1903 he was secretary of state of Wyoming; and in 1903-04 was governor of Wyoming. For many years he has been prominent in railway building and mining in Wyoming.
[Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – TK - Transcribed by FoFG]
FENIMORE CHATTERTON, attorney; rancher; (Rep.) b. July 21, 1860, Oswego, N.Y.; s. of German and Anna (Mazuzan) Chatterton; educ. pub. and H. S. Washington, D. C.; grad (LL. B.) Univ. of Michigan, 1892; located in Fort Steele, Wyoming, 1878; post trader, Fort Steele, 1883-6; also in mercantile business in Saratoga, Wyo., 1883-8; engaged in practice of law in Rawlins, Wyo., 1892-1900; since 1907 has been ranching in the Riverton, Wyo., district; organized the company that started the reclamation of the Shoshoni Indian reservation; general manager of The Wyoming Central Irrigation Co., 1906-8; probate judge and county treasurer. Carbon county, Wyoming, 1889-90; member Wyoming State Senate, 1890-4; v-pres. State Senate, 1893; county and prosecuting attorney, Carbon county, 1895-9; secretary of state, Wyoming, 1899-1903; re-elected 1902; on death of Gov. Richards, 1903, succeeded to governorship of Wyoming until 1907; mem. 32 deg. Mason; Past Grand Master Wyoming A. F. & A. M., Past Grand Commander Knights Templar, Past Potentate State Shriners, Past Master of Kadosh of the state. Address: Riverton, Wyoming.
[Source: "Men of Wyoming", By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915. Transcribed by Anna Parks]


Howard P. DENISON
Howard P. Denison, son of Le Roy W. Denison, was born in Parish, Oswego county, New York, May 28, 1859. His childhood and earlier youthful years were spent in Euclid, New York, where he acquired his elementary education. He continued his studies at Cazenovia Academy, which he entered in 1876, remained there two years, then entered Greenwich Academy, at East Greenwich, Rhode Island, and there prepared for college during the next two years. After his graduation from Greenwich Academy in 1880, he was for a period of two years engaged in filling the position of principal of a grammar school at Portland, Connecticut, and, having matriculated at Wesleyan University in 1881, with the class of 1885, he there completed his classical education. Following this he traveled abroad for a time, taking up his residence in Syracuse, New York, upon his return, and has been closely identified with the interests of that city since that time. After a thorough and comprehensive preparation, he was admitted to the bar at Syracuse in 1887. His studies in this direction were partly pursued in the office of the Hon. Charles H. Duell, later Commissioner of Patents, and judge of United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, with whom he formed a connection in 1886 as managing clerk. A partnership was entered into with the late Cornelius W. Smith in 1888, this association being continued with the greatest harmony and success until the death of Mr. Smith in 1899, since which time Mr. Denison has practiced alone. Patent law is one of the most difficult branches of the legal profession, requiring a most extended general knowledge along all lines of enterprise and progress in the business and scientific lines. No man was better qualified for the conduct of this important branch of litigation than Mr. Denison. The number of patents he has taken out runs into the thousands, these including some of the largest patent and trade-mark cases ever brought before the United States courts. At Detroit he argued the famous Harrow cases before the United States courts for the defendants, the Eureka Mower Company, in an action brought by the National Harrow Trust. The case involved the question of infringement in over seventy cases brought upon the same patent in New York, West Virginia and Michigan. So thoroughly was the court convinced at the close of his argument that there was no infringement that the cases were all decided for the defendants and the bill-of-complaint dismissed.

The press at that time said: "It is quite unusual for a court to dismiss a bill in a patent case at the close of the argument. It is only done in rare cases where the court is convinced that it is absolutely right in the decision." Perhaps no better indication of the ability and well developed talents of Mr. Denison can be given than by quoting from one of the Supreme Court justices of the state, who, in writing to President Roosevelt recommending the appointment of Mr. Denison for the position of judge of the United States District Court, said: "He possesses splendid abilities, great legal learning, especially in the law patents, and in patent litigation ; he is a man of integrity, is the soul of honor, is an ardent and influential Republican, is always loyal to his friends, possesses a judicial temperament and is a man of untiring industry and energy. I believe that he is in every essential remarkably qualified for the discharge of the duties of that office." The "Mercantile and Financial Times," in commenting upon his candidacy said : "Mr. Denison has successfully practiced this branch of his profession for fifteen years and is the lecturer on patent law in the Law College of the Syracuse University. Of this qualification, therefore, for the position with which his name is mentioned there can be no question, and in the event of his appointment he would acquit himself in a manner to justify his high reputation for ability and the confidence reposed in him. In view of these facts and others which we could mention were it necessary to know we are but echoing popular sentiment when we say it is sincerely hoped Mr. Denison will receive the appointment."

As a lecturer on Patent Law in the Law College of Syracuse University, Mr. Denison has earned well merited commendation for many years, and he is the founder of and maintains the Denison Declamation prizes in that institution. The degree of Master of Arts was conferred in 1905 upon him by Wesleyan University, of Middletown, Connecticut, and also by Iowa Wesleyan University, at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, in 1900, and Syracuse University conferred upon him in 1915 the degree of LL. D. This latter degree affords him great gratification for the reason that it was conferred by the university of his home city, under whose shadows he has lived for twenty-five years.

Mr. Denison has a beautiful country estate at Skaneateles, New York, where he spends with his family a large portion of each year. He is a member of the "Trilon Fish and Game Club" of Canada. He was elected a trustee of Cazenovia Seminary in October, 1900. His fraternal affiliation is not an extensive one, the demands of his professional work precluding this, and is limited to membership in the Alpha Delta Phi college fraternity. His professional membership is with the American Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association. Mr. Denison married, October 14, 1886, Bessie E. Hildreth, of Herkimer, New York, a daughter of the late Henan J. Hildreth, and a descendant of one of the oldest families of Herkimer county. Three children have blessed this union, one daughter, Marian H., and two sons, H. Hildreth and Winthrop W. The daughter (recently deceased) became the wife of Eugene A. Thompson, who is associated with Mr. Denison in his law practice. He has two granddaughters: Mary Jane Thompson and Marian Denison Thompsan. The son, H. Hildreth, died in 1908. Winthrop Will is a student at Lawrenceville School, New Jersey.
[p.280-281, "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY OF NEW YORK" • A Life Record of Men and Women of the Past Whose Sterling Character and Energy and Industry Have Made Them Preeminent in Their Own and Many Other States, BY CHARLES ELLIOTT FITCH, L. H. D. American Historical Society, New York, 1916 p. 200 – 204. Submitted by Robyn Greenlund"]


Lottie (Blair) PARKER
Playwright, was born in Oswego, N. Y., daughter of George and Emily (Hitchcock) Blair. Her father was a pioneer settler of Oswego, and for many years one of the best known captains on the Great lakes. Mrs. Parker's early life was passed in Oswego; but she must have inherited something of the adventurous nature that led her father to choose the wandering life of a sailor, for soon after completing the course at the Oswego Normal School, when a little less than eighteen years of age, she determined to start out and battle with the world in the search for fortune and success. She first went to Boston, where she studied with a veteran actor, Wyzeman Marshall, with a view to becoming a public reader; but her tutor, observing her strong dramatic abilities, advised her to adopt the stage. She thereupon secured an engagement with the stock company of the Boston Theatre, during her first season playing minor roles with considerable success in the support of John McCullough, Mary Anderson, Dion Boucicault, Genevieve Ward, H. S. Chanfrau and other notable actors. After leaving the Boston Theatre she appeared with several traveling organizations, among them Mme. Janauschek's and Lawrence Barrett's companies. About this time she became the wife of Harry Doel Parker, and after her marriage continued acting, with increasing success. Her lust important engagement was to play in "Hazel Kirke," in which she took the title role. Soon after this the New York " Herald " offered a prize for the best one-act play submitted in competition, the judges to be well- known New York managers. Mrs. Parker, who had always wielded a facile pen, decided to enter the contest, and accordingly wrote two one-act plays, which she submitted according to the terms of competition. Much to her disappointment, neither of them won the coveted prize; but one of them, "White Roses," received honorable mention, and was immediately purchased by Daniel Frohman. It was produced by him a few weeks later at the Lyceum Theatre, in connection with another play, and ran an entire season. Encouraged by the success of her first attempt, Mrs. Parker retired to her home at Great Neck, Long Island, and devoted her entire time to dramatic writing. She labored unceasingly for several years, completing a number of plays. During this period the Empire Theatre School of Acting presented a one-act sketch from her pen, " Dick o' the Plains," and the students, of the American Academy of Dramatic Arts presented another, entitled "The Broken Sword." Still a third play, "The Woman of It," was presented in San Francisco. Her drama of New England life, "Way Down East," was produced by William A. Brady at the Manhattan Theatre, New York city, in February, 1898, and immediately achieved so great popularity that it had one of the longest runs of any play produced at this period. The success of this play placed Mrs. Parker in the front rank of American drama- lists.
[Source: p.316, "THE NATIONAL CYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN BIOGRAPHY BEING THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES AS ILLUSTRATED IN THE LIVES OF THE FOUNDERS, BUILDERS, AND DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC, AND OF THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO ARE DOING THE WORK AND MOULDING THE THOUGHT OF THE PRESENT TIME EDITED BY DISTINGUISHED BIOGRAPHERS, SELECTED FROM EACH STATE REVISED AND APPROVED BY THE MOST EMINENT HISTORIANS, SCHOLARS, AND STATESMEN OF THE DAY", VOL. X. NEW YORK, JAMES T. WHITE & COMPANY, 1909 - Submitted by Robyn Greenlund]


Charles Rufus SKINNER
Congressman and educator, was born at Union Square, Oswego Co., N. Y., Aug. 4, 1844, son of Avery and Charlotte (Prior) Skinner, and is of New England ancestry. He was brought up on the farm, and attended a district school until his sixteenth year; after which he engaged in teaching, was assistant in the post-office, and in various other ways endeavored to obtain funds to enable him to pursue a college course and prepare for the bar, an ambition in which he was, however, eventually disappointed. He attended the Clinton Liberal Institute, and the Mexico Academy, where he was graduated valedictorian of his class in 1866. During the following year he taught at the latter institution. In December, 1867, he went to New York city, and took charge of the agency of the Walter A. Wood Mowing and Reaping Machine Co. : but remained only three years, his father being in such ill-health that he was obliged to return home to manage the farm. In 187C-74 he resided at Watertown, Jefferson C?., N. Y., as part proprietor, local editor and business manager of the " Daily Times and Reformer." Mr. Skinner was a member of the Watertown board of education nine years. In 1876 he was elected by the Republicans to the state assembly, and for live consecutive terms carried his district. While a member of the state legislature he served as chairman of the committee on public printing and railroads, and as member of the committees on cities, insurance, internal affairs, etc. In 1877 he introduced and pushed to its passage the bill prohibiting frequent changes in text books in schools, and in 1879 introduced a bill to reduce legislative expenses, and an amendment to the constitution to bring about biennial sessions of the legislature. This resolution passed one legislature, but in the next was defeated in the senate. This proposition was favored by Gov. Cornell in his message of 1882, and urged by Gov. Black in 1898. In 1879-80 he was active in advocating the anti-discrimination freight bill, 1898, and was elected president of the National Education Association at its meeting in Buffalo in 1896. He is a life member of the New York Press Association, and has frequently been delegated to represent it in the meetings of the National Editorial Association. Mr. Skinner is a member of the Fort Orange Club of Albany, the Republican Club of New York city, the Union League of Brooklyn and the Thousand Island Club of Alexandria Bay. The honorary degree of M.A. was conferred upon him by Hamilton College in 1889, and that of LL.D. by Colgate University in 1895. He was married at Watertown. N. Y., Oct. 20,1873, to Elizabeth, daughter of David W. and Laura (Freeman) Baldwin. He has lost two daughters and has three sons and one daughter living.
Source: "p. 388, :THE NATIONAL CYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN BIOGRAPHY BEING THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES AS ILLUSTRATED IN THE LIVES OF THE FOUNDERS, BUILDERS, AND DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC, AND OF THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO ARE DOING THE WORK AND MOULDING THE THOUGHT OF THE PRESENT TIME EDITED BY DISTINGUISHED BIOGRAPHERS, SELECTED FROM EACH STATE REVISED AND APPROVED BY THE MOST EMINENT HISTORIANS, SCHOLARS, AND STATESMEN OF THE DAY," VOL. X., NEW YORK, JAMES T. WHITE & COMPANY, 1909 - Submitted by Robyn Greenlund]


Benjamin Franklin ANGEL
Diplomat, was born at Burlington, Oswego C?. N. Y., Nov. 28, 1815. He received his preparatory education under Cornelius C. Felton, afterwards president of Harvard, but did not enter college, owing to trouble with his eyes. Until he recovered their use, he taught school; then studied law, and was admitted to the bar. He commenced practice at Geneseo, in partnership with his former preceptor, at the same time writing editorials for a Democratic county newspaper. In 1838 he was appointed surrogate, and served in that office for four years, after which he was appointed master in chancery and Supreme Court commissioner. He was surrogate again from 1844 until 1847. In 1852 he was a member of the Democratic national convention at Baltimore; but in 1853 his health became impaired, and he went to Honolulu as U. S. consul. In 1855 he was sent by Pres. Pierce to China, as special commissioner to settle a dispute between some American merchants and the Chinese government in regard to the exaction of export duties. He was successful, and returned to the United States by way of the East Indies, Egypt and Europe. On his return he was nominated for congress, but was defeated. He was appointed minister to Norway and Sweden when Mr. Buchanan became president, and at the end of his term returned to the United States (1862). With the exception of being a delegate to the Chicago convention that nominated Gen. McClellan for the presidency, in 1864, he did not again take an active part in politics, but devoted himself to agriculture at Geneseo N. Y. He was president of the Slate Agricultural Society in 1873- 74. He died at Geneseo, Sept. 11, 1864.
[Source: p.478, "THE NATIONAL CYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN BIOGRAPHY BEING THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES AS ILLUSTRATED IN THE LIVES OF THE FOUNDERS, BUILDERS, AND DEFENDERS OF THE REPUBLIC, AND OF THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO ARE DOING THE WORK AND MOULDING THE THOUGHT OF THE PRESENT TIME EDITED BY DISTINGUISHED BIOGRAPHERS, SELECTED FROM EACH STATE REVISED AND APPROVED BY THE MOST EMINENT HISTORIANS, SCHOLARS, AND STATESMEN OF THE DAY" VOL. X., NEW YORK, JAMES T. WHITE & COMPANY, 1909 - Submitted by Robyn Greenlund]

Theodorus BAILEY
BAILEY, Theodorus; rear-admiral, U. S. navy, was born at Chateaugay, N. Y., April 12, 1805. His uncle Theodorus Bailey (1758-1828) was a congressman and U. S. senator, and from 1804 until 1828 postmaster of New York city. The younger Theodorus was educated at Plattsburg (N. Y.) Academy, and entered the navy as a midshipman in 1818. His first service was on the coast of Africa and later he spent five years in the Pacific and West Indian waters. He was promoted to be lieutenant March 3, 1827 and between 1833 and 1846 as an officer of the Vincennes and Constellation twice circumnavigated the globe. In 1847 he was appointed commander of the storeship Lexington and in that capacity carried an artillery company to California; fitted out and led numerous successful expeditions against the Mexicans; captured San Bias and aided greatly in the conquest of California. As a reward for his services he was commissioned commander March 6, 1849 and a little later went on a long cruise in the Pacific as commander of the St. Mary's.

During this cruise he was instrumental in securing full protection of the rights of American citizens in the various island groups. He was raised to the rank of captain on Dec. 15, 1855 and was engaged in the protection of American interests at Panama after the massacre of April, 1856, a task in which his firmness and discretion proved of the greatest value. In 1861 he was ordered to the command of the steamer Colorado, blockading Pensacola, where he rendered great assistance to Gen. Harvey Brown, and after a night reconnaissance cut out and burned the Confederate privateer Judah. Early in 1862 he joined the fleet of Admiral D. C. Farragut and was appointed second in command of the expedition against New Orleans. He commanded the right column of the fleet in the passage of Forts Jackson and St. Philip and it was at his suggestion that the attack on New Orleans and its batteries was made at night. On April 24, 1862, he led this attack in the Cayuga, receiving the fire of five forts and repelling or destroying numerous Confederate vessels and rams. The following day Bailey was commissioned by Farragut to demand the surrender of the city. Accompanied only by Lieut. G. H. Perkins he landed, made his way through an angry mob to the city hall and successfully performed his mission. He was warmly commended by Admiral Farragut for his bravery and splendid service and sent to Washington as the bearer of dispatches announcing the victory. On July 16, 1862, he was raised to the rank of commodore, and in the following October though in feeble health was at his own solicitation appointed the successor of Rear-admiral Lardner as commander of the Eastern Gulf blockading squadron, in which position he captured 150 blockade-runners, and promptly and effectually suppressed blockade running on the Florida coast. On July 25, 1866, he was commissioned rear-admiral and in October, 1866, was placed on the retired list. His last service was performed as commandant of the Portsmouth navy yard. The remainder of his life was passed in Washington. Admiral Bailey was wise and farseeing in the planning, and fearless and untiring in the performance of duty, and he ranked among the ablest of the naval commanders of the civil war. He died in Washington, D. C., Feb. 10, 1877.

{Source: The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 2; Publ. 1892, by James T. White & Co., N. Y.; Submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.}


Abel S. BALDWIN
Baldwin, Abel Seymour, physician, state senator, railroad president, was born March 19, 1811, in Fulton, N.Y. He was the first president of the Florida, Atlantic and Gulf railroad. In 1852 he was elected to the Florida state legislature; in 1859 he was a state senator; and in 1863 was made medical director of Florida and Georgia. He died about 1905 in Jacksonville, Fla.
[Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – TK - Transcribed by A Friend of Free Genealogy]

Charles H. BRACKETT
BRACKETT, Charles H., vice president Federal Casualty Co.; born, Hannibal, N.Y., (Oswego Co) Oct. 30, 1855; son of William W. and Sarah A. (Teller) Brackett; educated in public schools of Hannibal; married at New Albany, Ind., Feb., 1895, Minnie Belser. Lived on farm and was engaged in mercantile business until 1880; traveling salesman for Empire Drill Co., Jackson, Mich., 1880-83, and had charge of the Louisville (Ky.) office of the company until 1896; was secretary and manager Columbia Insurance Co., Indianapolis, until Jan. 1, 1907, when the company was merged into the Federal Casualty Co., of which he was elected vice president. Also vice president Wood-Carnahan Co., Indianapolis. Republican. Methodist. Member M.A.W., Ben Hur. Club: Marion (Indianapolis). Office: 533 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 179 Merrick Av.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]

Anson S. BROOKS
BROOKS Anson Strong, Minnetonka Beach. Office 649-654 Security bldg. Minneapolis. Lumberman. Born Sept 6, 1852 in Oswego county N Y, son of Sheldon and Jeanette (Ranney) Brooks. Married July 24, 1876 to Georgia L Andros. Educated in village public schools in southern Minn. Settled on a farm in Winona county 1856; telegraph opr in Wabasha county 1868-73; removed to Grand Forks N D 1881 and engaged in the country lumber business; removed to St Paul 1891; removed to Minneapolis 1897. Entered the firm of Brooks Bros grain dealers 1873; pres of Brooks Elevator Co; treas Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Co; sec Kentwood & Eastern Ry and dir of Nat Bank of Commerce. Member of Minneapolis, Minikahda, Lafayette and Minnetonka Yacht and Automobile club.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]

David M. BROWN
BROWN David Millard, Fergus Falls. Manufacturer. Born Oct 6, 1857 in Oswego county N Y, son of David L and Harriet F (Harris) Brown. Married Dec 13, 1883 to Henrietta Bisnett. Educated in select school N Y; Fulton (N Y) High School and graduated from Mexico (N Y) Academy 1882. Engaged as principal graded schools 1 year; organized and operated Amers & French farm French Minn 1882-87; dist mngr Mutual Life Ins Co 1888-96; organized Fergus Casket Works and has been sec and mngr of same 1897 to date. Served as chairman Rep County Committee; alderman; acting mayor. Member Masonic fraternity; K of P, B P O E and Chippewa Club.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]

Clarence CASS
Clarence Cass, operating extensively and successfully in the real estate field of Aurora and Hamilton county, (Nebraska) was born in Oswego county, New York, October 29, 1868, his parents being O. W. and Mary Jane (Crippen) Cass, both of whom were natives of the Empire state where they resided until 1872. Attracted by the opportunities of the growing west they came to Nebraska, settling in Hamilton County where Mr. Cass secured a homestead claim which he still owns, having in the meantime converted it into a rich and valuable property. He is now living in California, but his wife passed away in 1889. They were the parents of five children, three of whom were born in New York and two in Hamilton County. The three born in New York first opened their eyes to the light of day in the same house where had occurred the birth of their father, his six brothers and one sister. The children of Mr. and Mrs. O. W. Cass are: Clarence; Melvin J., who is connected with his brother Clarence in business but is now at Long Beach, California, for his health; H. D., a farmer living near Burwell, Nebraska; O. W., who carries on farming near Aurora; and Florence, the wife of George Bowen, a druggist of Rainier, Oregon. The parents were members of the Baptist church with which Mr. Cass is still identified and fraternally he is connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, while in political faith he is a democrat.
Clarence Cass completed his education as a high school pupil in Aurora and through the period of his boyhood and youth, when not busy with the duties of the schoolroom, his attention was largely given to the work of the home farm. He continued to carry on general agricultural pursuits until he attained his majority and then became connected with the dry goods trade as clerk in an Aurora store in which he was employed for five years. On the expiration of that period he turned his attention to the restaurant business and was active along that line for seventeen years, conducting a business of gratifying proportions. He dates his residence in Aurora from about 1891. In 1914 he purchased the real estate business of W. W. Shenberger and has since handled real estate, collections and insurance. He has both farm and city property for rent and has negotiated many important realty transfers. With the thoroughness that has always characterized him he has acquainted himself with all property that is on the market and thoroughly knows real estate values. He is also a stockholder in the First National Bank and the Farmers' State Bank and is the owner of land in Hamilton County.
On the 10th of October, 1910, Mr. Cass was married to Miss Clara Pense, a native of Illinois, whose father was one of the pioneer residents of Clay county, Nebraska, where he secured a homestead claim upon which he spent his remaining days. Mr. and Mrs. Cass have one child, Lawrence, now nine years of age. Mrs. Cass belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church and is a lady of many admirable qualities. Mr. Cass holds membership with the Masonic fraternity, with the Highlanders and with the Modern Woodmen and his political endorsement is given to the Republican Party. He is interested in all that pertains to general progress and improvement in his community and his aid has been a tangible force in bringing about advancement and development along various lines.

[Source: History of Hamilton and Clay Counties, Nebraska; Supervising Editors George L. Burr, O.O. Buck ; Compiled by Dale P. Stough By George L. Burr, O. O. Buck, Dale P. Stough (Published 1921) pages 183-184; submitted by Marla Zwakman]


Joseph A. HASKIN
Haskin, Joseph A.,
brigadier-general, was born in New York in 1817. He was graduated at West Point in 1839, being assigned to the 1st artillery, was in Maine on duty incident to the border dispute, 1840-45; in Florida and Louisiana in 1845-46, and in the Mexican war served under Gen. Scott from Vera Cruz to the capture of the City of Mexico, losing an arm at the storming of Chapultepec. He was subsequently on frontier and garrison duty, becoming captain in 1851, and was in command of the arsenal at Baton Rouge in 1861, when he was attacked by a vastly superior force of Confederates and compelled to surrender the buildings and arms. He subsequently served in Washington, at Key West, in command of the Northern defenses of Washington, 1862-64, and then as chief of artillery in the war department until 1866. He was promoted major in 1862, and in the same year lieutenant-colonel of staff; was promoted lieutenant-colonel of the 1st artillery in 1866, and on March 13, 1865, was raised by brevet to the ranks of colonel and brigadier-general U. S. A. He was retired from active service in 1872, and died in Oswego, N. Y., Aug. 3, 1874.

E. C. KELLEY
On the roll of residents of Doniphan County who during the civil war “wore the blue” in defense of their country and loyally aided in the suppression of the rebellion of the south, is E. C. Kelley, a well-known and highly respected citizen of Elwood, whose life history cannot fail to prove of interest to many of our readers, for he is both widely and favorably known in this part of the state. A native of Michigan, he was born in Lenawee county, February 6, 1841 and is a son of L. Kelley, a native of Dennis, Massacushetts. The grandfather, John Kelley, was born in a Quaker settlement at Sydney, Maine. L. Kelley took up his abode in Michigan in 1838, in a region which at that time was an almost unbroken wilderness. He was twice married, his first union being with Miss Deborah Estes, and to them were born six children, namely: Ben, Rufus, John, Content, Mary J. and Sarah. For his second wife Mr. Kelley chose Miss Lydia Hoxsie, who was born in Cayuga county, New York, a daughter of John Hoxsie, a soldier of the war of 1812. By their union three children were born, namely: Edwin C., Allan and Betsey Ann. The father died near Adrian, Michigan, at the advanced age of ninety years. His life was an honorable and upright one in harmony with his belief as a member of the Society of Friends. In anti-slavery days he was a stanch abolitionist and when the Republican party was formed to prevent the extension of slavery he joined its ranks and continued to follow its banner throughout the remainder of his life. His wife, who was a consistent member of the Society of Friends, died at the age of eighty-four years.
Edwin C. Kelley was reared in Michigan and attended the public schools. During the civil war he enlisted in Company G Fourth Michigan Infantry, on the 6th of February, 1862, being on that day just twenty-one years of age. He took part in some of the most memorable engagements of the war, including the siege of Yorktown, Fredericksburg, the seven-days battle of the wilderness, the engagement at Richmond, Gaines’ Mills, White Oak Springs, Malvern Hill and Gettysburg. During his service he spent some months in the hospitals of Maryland and when honorably discharged returned to his home in Adrian. He has always found at his post of duty, faithfully defending the cause represented by the old flag, and upon the battle fields of the south he bravely labored to preserve the Union.
In 1867 occurred the marriage of Mr. Kelley and Miss Edy Potter, who was born, reared and educated in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Her father, Jeremiah Potter, was a native of Herkimer County, New York, and was of New England lineage. His wife who bore the maiden name of Nancy Johnson, was born in Oswego County, New York, and was a daughter of Andrew Johnson. Mr. and Mrs. Potter became the parents of eleven children, but three died in childhood. Those who reached the age of maturity were Corydon, Demetra, Morton, Josephine, Homer, Mrs. Edy Kelley, Morell and Cora. The father died at the age of sixty-six years, while his wife passed away at the age of eighty-four. Both were members of the Universalist church and he was a Democrat in his political affiliations. Mrs. Kelley successfully engaged in teaching for some time previous to their marriage and is a lady of culture and broad general information. Unto our subject and his wife have been born five children: Lola, who is an artist of superior talent and a successful art teacher; Bennie, Florence and Edwina. One child, Alma, the second of the family, died at the age of nineteen years.
Mr. Kelley gives his political support to the Republican party, but has never sought or desired office, content to support the principles he believes by his ballot without seeking for reward through official preferment. He belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic in Gratiot county, Michigan. His identification with Kansas dates from 1886 at which time he located in Ellis County where he remained for three years. For the last ten years he has been a resident of Doniphan county and is one of the honored and prosperous citizens within its borders. All who know him esteem him highly for his sterling worth, for his loyal service on the battle fields of the south was but an indication of the fidelity which characterized his entire career.
(Genealogical and Biographical Record of North-Eastern Kansas, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, 1900, Page 552-553 - PT - Sub. by FoFG)

Albert L. LEE
Lee, Albert L., brigadier-general, was born in Fulton, N. Y., Jan. 16, 1834. He was graduated at Union college in 1853, studied law, removed to Kansas and became judge of the state supreme court there in 1861. He resigned this office to become major of the 7th Kan. cavalry, became its colonel, May 17, 1862, and in Jan., 1863, was given a commission as brigadier-general of volunteers to date from Nov. 29, 1862. He commanded the 2nd cavalry brigade at the battle of Corinth and afterwards in Grant's central Mississippi campaign, and acted as chief of staff to Gen. John A. McClernand in the operations about Vicksburg and in the battles of Champion's hill and Big Black river, May 16 and 17, 1863. On May 19 he commanded the 1st brigade, 9th division, 13th army corps in the assault on Vicksburg, and was severely wounded by gunshot in the face and head. Rejoining his brigade for duty, July 26, 1863, he was ordered to New Orleans and saw service as chief of cavalry. Department of the Gulf, on the staff of Gen. Banks, in western Louisiana. He commanded the cavalry division in the Red river expedition of 1864, commanded an infantry brigade in the expedition up the White river, in July of that year, and in August was assigned to command the cavalry division, headquarters at Baton Rouge, La. He was ordered to New Orleans in Jan., 1865, and was on duty until May 4, when he resigned his commission and was mustered out of the service. After the war Gen. Lee spent much of his time for a number of years in Europe, and was engaged in business in New York.

Fayette DOANE
Fayette Doane was born at Richland, Oswego County, New York, March 18, 1838, immigrated to Sheboygan County, Wis, June 1855, Settled in Spring Brook in Sept 1858, enlisted in fall of 1864 in Co. H. 16th Wis Vol Inf, 17th corps, mustered out June 1865, married Betsy Burton Jan 1860 [Source: "Dunn County News", Menomonie, WI, 12 May 1883 (p4, c2) - Submitted by Judy Schultz]

Cornelius D. EDICK
CORNELIUS D. EDICK, the well-known and popular county superintendent of schools of Burleigh county, North Dakota, and a representative citizen of Bismarck, is a native of Oswego county, New York, born June 26, 1844. His parents Daniel and Minerva (Richards) Edick, were natives of New York and Massachusetts, respectively. The father, who is a harness and shoemaker by trade, is still a resident of the Empire state.
Our subject passed his boyhood and youth in New York and in the common and high schools of that state he acquired his literary education. On leaving home he went to Syracuse, New York, and later to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the mercantile trade. In 1883, he came to Bismarck, North Dakota, and entered land in Burleigh county, proved up his claim and followed farming for five or six years. At the end of that period he took up residence in Bismarck, where he has since made his home.
While still a resident of New York, Mr. Edick was married, in 1855, to Miss Matilda E. Soule, a native of that state. In his social relations he is a Mason, and in his political affiliations is a stalwart Republican, taking an active and prominent part in the campaigns of Burleigh county. In 1892 he was elected county auditor, which office he most creditably filled for one term and then after traveling for two years returned to Bismarck and in 1896 was elected county superintendent of schools. Being re-elected in 1898, he is the present incumbent in that office and has also served his fellow citizens in other minor positions. Genial and pleasant in manner, he makes a popular official and gains the confidence and high regard of all with whom he comes in contact.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]


Benton HANCHETT
Benton Hanchett was born April 6, 1835, at the town of Marshall, Oneida County, New York. His parents were Silas H. Hanchett and Eliza Dyer Hanchett. When he was five years old his parents removed to the town of Palermo, Oswego County, New York, with whom he lived upon their farm until he was eighteen years old. He was educated in the district schools, and at Falley Seminary, of Fulton, New York, and at Cazenovia Seminary, of Cazenovia, New York. In 1858 he graduated at the State of National Law School, at Poughkeepsie, New York. In the fall of that year he came to Michigan and entered the law office of A. & E. Gould, of Owosso. In January, 1859, he was admitted to the bar in the Circuit Court, at Saginaw. July 1, 1861, he became a member of the firm of Goulds & Hanchett, at Owosso. In 1863 he formed a partnership with Gilbert T. Lyon, at Owosso. In November, 1865, he removed to Saginaw and became a partner with Augustine S. Gaylord, in the firm of Gaylord & Hanchett. This firm continued until the death of Mr. Gaylord, in June 1877. In 1881 Mr. Gilbert M. Stark and Mr. Hanchett became partners under the firm name of Hanchett & Stark. In 1887 Mr. Hanchett's son, Leslie Benton Hanchett, became a member of the partnership, and the firm name became Hanchett, Stark & Hanchett. The 1st of January, 1894, Mr. Stark retired from the firm, which was then changed to Hanchett & Hanchett. Mr. Leslie Benton Hanchett died in June, 1902.
The law practice of Benton Hanchett has been quite widely extended in the State Courts, and in the United States Courts, including the District and Circuit Courts, the Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
In 1862 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Shiawassee County. In 1872 and in 1873 he was elected mayor of Saginaw City. He was a member of the Board of Trustees of Union School District of Saginaw City from 1867 to 1876. He was appointed by Governor Cyrus G. Luce, Justice of the Supreme Court of Michigan, but the appointment was not accepted.
In February, 1893, during the closing days of the administration of President Harrison, Mr. Hanchett was appointed by the president, Justice of the Circuit Court of Appeals of the United States, for the Sixth District. The appointment was referred to the Judiciary Committee of the Senate. The committee recommended to the Senate the confirmation of the appointment, but Congress adjourned without action being taken by the Senate upon the appointment.
In 1896 the University of Michigan conferred upon Mr. Hanchett the degree of Doctor of Laws.
November 18, 1861, Mr. Hanchett married Miss Ann Broadwell, of Oswego Falls (now Fulton), New York; of their marriage was born Leslie Benton Hanchett, in 1863. Mrs. Hanchett died June 11, 1879. In 1881 Mr. Hanchett married Mrs. Susan E. Kimberly. To them was born their daughter, Mrs. Elise Benton Grant, of Cleveland, Ohio.
Mr. Hanchett, beside the practice of law, has engaged in other business pursuits. Among the business enterprises in which he has engaged, he joined in forming, and has taken part as one of the Directors of the Bradley-Ramsay Lumber Company, The Saginaw Plate Glass Company, The Michigan Sugar Company, the Bank of Saginaw, the Detroit Trust Company, and Frankenmuth State Bank. He has been President of the Frankenmuth State Bank since the organization of the bank, and since 1904 has been President of the Bank of Saginaw.
[Source: History of Saginaw County Michigan, Vol 2, Publ. 1918. Tr. by Dana Kraft]

Clarkson C. WORMER
WORMER, Clarkson C., machinery; born, Oswego, N.Y. Oct. 26, 1850; son of Grover S. and Maria (Crolius) Wormer; educated in public schools of Detroit; married, Detroit, I875, Minnie Horton. Began active career as clerk in banking house of Kennedy & Taylor; then was in employ of his father and brother, G. S. Wormer & Son, machinery (founded, 1857) ; was admitted to the firm, 1873, which, upon retirement of his father, 1884, was conducted by three sons; firm incorporated, 1889, as C. C. Wormer Machinery Co., of which he has since been president. Also treasurer Austin Separator Co., Wright Manufacturing Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce, Veteran Corps Detroit Light Guard (member Guard since 187I). Republican. Episcopalian. Member Royal Arcanum, Loyal Legion (by inheritance). Clubs: Detroit, Old Club. Recreations: General athletics, baseball, boating, etc. Office: 97-101 Woodbridge St. Residence: 59 High St., E.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]


Brigadier-General Thomas WARD
Army Officer. Military Instructor.
After more than forty years of service in the United States army, which included the latter half of the Civil War, Brigadier-General Thomas Ward, now a resident of Rochester, New York, can look back over a lifetime of service to his country and devotion to the Stars and Stripes. He was born at West Point, New York, March 18, 1839. It is scarcely to be wondered at that one, reared in such an atmosphere and environment as that of West Point, and who reached his young manhood in such stirring times as the years immediately preceding the Civil War, should be fired by a patriotic zeal, and should decide upon a military career. His parents were Bryan and Eliza (Henry) Ward. Bryan Ward died in 1852, at the age of fifty-two years. He had been registrar of West Point Military Academy for many years, and was succeeded by his son William, who held the office for more than fifty years. Of his children we have on record: Lieutenant Matthew Henry Ward, a volunteer in the Ninth Michigan Cavalry, who was promoted at the close of the war to the Second Regular Artillery, and died soon after the close of the war from a disease contracted while in service ; Philip W. Ward, enlisted, was with Burnside's Cavalry, and died at the close of the war from exposure and disease contracted on the field ; Bryan Ward, Jr., nursed his brother, Brigadier-General Thomas Ward, through an attack of typhoid fever, contracted the disease, and died at the early age of sixteen years. Brigadier-General Thomas Ward received a thorough and careful preparatory education, then entered the United States Military Academy at West Point, from which he was graduated in 1863.

He was commissioned second lieutenant of the First Regiment of Artillery, June 11, 1863. For gallantry displayed at Cold Harbor he was brevetted first lieutenant, June 3, 1864; July 18, of the same year, he was promoted to a first lieutenancy ; March 13, 1865, he was brevetted captain for gallant and meritorious service during the war, and was recommended, April 27, 1866, by General James H. Wilson, his commanding general in the field, for the brevet of major, "for bravery of the highest degree, zeal and good management, during the entire service with me and particularly during the rapid and exhausting marches and fights incidental to operations against the South Side and Danville railroad, known as 'Wilson's Raid,' June 21 to July 1, 1864." In this connection the following quotation from the official records will be of interest : "Captain Ward was recommended for an additional brevet by his commanding general, for bravery, zeal and good management during the rapid and exhausting marches and fights incidental to operations against the South Side and Danville railroads, Virginia ;" but on account of a blunder the paper was filed in the War Department without further action at the time, and the error was only discovered by accident twenty-three years later, as the following correspondence will show. General Wilson received a letter from the Adjutant-General's Office, War Department, under date of March 23, 1889, inviting his attention to the following endorsement:

WILMINGTON, Delaware, April 27, 1866.
Respectfully forwarded. I take pleasure in saying that the conduct of Captain Ward during his entire service with me and particularly during the rapid and exhausting marches and fights incidental to operations against the South Side and Danville railroads was in the highest degree commendable for bravery, zeal and good management. To my personal knowledge, the abandonment of his guns was entirely unavoidable and due to the utter exhaustion of his horses rather than to anything else whatever.

I take pleasure in recommending him for the brevet of captain.
(Signed) J. H. WILSON,
Captain Engineers and
Brevet Brigadier-General, U. S. A.

STOCKBRIDGE, Wilmington, Delaware, March 24, 1889.

My Dear Major: It gives me very great pleasure to say in reply to your letter of yesterday, that I of course intended to recommend you for the brevet of Major instead of Captain, when you actually held that rank in the line, and now I hasten to enclose a letter to the Adjutant General correcting as far as possible the blunder into which I fell in my endorsement of April 27, 1866. Regretting more than I can find words to express, that I should have made such a palpable mistake, and that it was not discovered and corrected sooner, I am,
Cordially your friend,
(Signed) JAMES H. WILSON.

WILMINGTON, Del., March 24, 1889.
To the Adjutant General, War Department, Washington, D. C. :
Sir: Referring to a certain statement made by Major (then Captain) Thomas Ward in 1866 in regard to his military history, and also to my endorsement thereon, dated April 27, 1866, in which I recommended Captain Ward for the brevet of Captain in the United States Army, when he held at the time that rank in the Artillery, I beg to say that my intention was to recommend him for the brevet of Major and to request that this statement, in justice to Major Ward, who was a most gallant and meritorious officer, be filed with the original document now in the possession of your department. Deeply regretting that the obvious error has remained so long uncorrected and trusting that my request can be complied with, I have the honor to be.
Very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,
(Signed) JAMES H. WILSON,
Late Major General Volunteers and Brevet Major General, U. S. A.

WAR DEPARTMENT, Adjutant General's Office, April 13, 1889.
The foregoing request of General Wilson has been complied with. His statement is to be filed with the original letter and Major Ward furnished an official copy.
(Signed) R. C DRUM, Adjutant General.
After the Civil War, General Ward, as an officer of the regular army, was stationed at various posts, the following instances being of sufficient interest to note:

General Ward was in command of the battery encamped in Annunciation Square, New Orleans, Louisiana, from May 10 to 20, 1873, suppressing political riots, and in garrison at Jackson Barracks, New Orleans, until July 7, 1873. November 1, 1876, he was commissioned captain. He commanded Battery D, First Artillery, during the strikes and railroad riots from August 1 to 27, 1877, at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and at Reading, Pennsylvania, from August 28 to October 24, of the same year. He was promoted to major and assistant adjutant- general, June 28, 1884; lieutenant-colonel and assistant adjutant-general, August 31, 1893; colonel and assistant adjutant- general, September 11, 1897; adjutant- general, headquarters of the army, August 25, 1900; brigadier-general, United States Army, July 22, 1902 ; and in June, 1907, he was appointed president of the board of visitors to the United States Military Academy at West Point. In 1873-77 he was Professor of Military Science in Union College, Schenectady, New York, and that institution conferred on him the honorary degree of Master of Arts. He belongs to the Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Phi Alpha college fraternities ; member of the Loyal Legion and the Grand Army of the Republic; Metropolitan Club, at Washington, D. C. ; Fortnightly Club of Oswego; National Geographical Society ; Society of American Wars ; Genesee Valley Club ; and affiliated with the Masonic fraternity at Schenectady, while he was at Union College. He is very refined, quiet and unassuming in manner ; of pleasing personality, and has won a large circle of loyal friends. He is of tall and commanding presence, well preserved, and has never used liquor of any kind. General Ward's record as a military man reflects credit on his native State. He was on duty at Vancouver Barracks, Washington, as adjutant-general of the Department of the Columbia from 1889 to 1893, which included Alaska. During that time General Ward toured Alaska to Chilkat and took with him his two sons — the elder, who is now Major Philip R. Ward, and Thomas, Jr. Next he was stationed as adjutant-general of the Department of the Columbia, with headquarters at Denver, 1893-96. He was on General Hancock's staff as captain, at Governor's Island, when Hancock ran for the office of President of the United States. At that time General Ward was inspector-general of the Department of the East, which took in the New England coast and as far west as Sault St. Marie, and as far south as Florida. He retired from military service in 1902, and after a short residence in Oswego, became a resident of Rochester, New York, where he has lived ever since. General Ward married, April 20, 1870, in Oswego, New York, Katherine L. Mott, born April 17, 1851, died November II, 1914. She was a daughter of Thomas S. Mott, one of the leading politicians of New York State in his day, the right hand man of Senator Conklin, and president of the First National Bank of Oswego. General and Mrs. Ward had children : Major Philip R., was graduated from West Point, and is now in the Coast Artillery, commanding Fort Preble; Bessie DeWolfe, married Edwin Allen Stebbins, of Rochester; Katherine Mott. at home ; Thomas, Jr., midshipman in the United States Navy, of whom further; John Mott, now with Dr. Fitch, engaged in Red Cross work in France at the hospital at Yvetot ; two sons who died in childhood.

Thomas Ward, Jr., was a worthy scion of his family, which has given so many brave men to the world. He was a handsome young man, of fine military bearing, and would, no doubt, have added still more to the prestige of the family name had his career not been cut short at so early an age while in the brave discharge of his duty. Following are a few extracts and copies of letters telling graphically the story of his tragic death :
From the "Saturday Globe," Utica, New York, April 16, 1904:

The worst catastrophe in the recent history of the American Navy was that at Pensacola, Florida, Wednesday, when five charges of smokeless powder exploded and killed thirty-three men, of whom five were officers, besides injuring five others, two of them fatally. A miracle alone prevented this accident in peaceful waters from paralleling the horror of war in Asiatic seas on the same day. Within a few feet of the second explosion was a magazine containing thousands of pounds of high explosives. Had this been ignited, the ship and her crew of six hundred would have gone to the bottom. This fortunate intervention of Providence and the heroic conduct of her commander, Captain William S. Cowles, are the two bright spots in the black record of destruction, though the noble actions of some of the other officers should not be overlooked. The after twelve-inch guns were being fired. Numerous shots had been fired and the left gun was being loaded, one section, two hundred pounds of powder, having been rammed home and the second section having cleared the hoisting car. At this instant a wind from off shore blew a portion of the flame from the muzzle back into the breech where the charge was being rammed home. This ignited the charge, there was an explosion and some of the burning stuff dropped into the handling room below, whose four charges were ready to be hoisted. These exploded. The flames were soon leaping from every portion of the turret, and the fumes from the powder overcame the men who sought to extinguish them. Meanwhile, terrible scenes were witnessed in the turret and in the handling room. * * * When the bodies were finally taken from the turret and the room below, they were perfectly nude, every strip of clothing having been burned off. They were hardly recognizable. The flesh hung from their bodies in strips and would drop off when touched. The twenty-five men of the turret were found lying in a heap just under the exit. Two separate explosions had occurred, which accounts for the position of the men. The first explosion in the turret did not cause any deaths, and every man started for the exit to get fresh air. They had just reached it when the second and more terrible explosion, directly beneath, sent the flames up through the exit through which they were endeavoring to pass. * * * Thomas Ward, Jr., one of the officers killed by these explosions, was twenty-one years old, and was appointed to the Naval Academy at Annapolis, from Utica, New York. He was graduated a little more than a year ago, and when the Missouri went into commission, was placed on her as one of the officers.
NAVY DEPARTMENT,
Bureau of Navigation, Washington, April 14, 1904.
General Thomas Ward, U. S. Army, Oswego, N. Y. :
The President directs me to convey to you his sympathy in your bereavement in the death of your son, while in the faithful discharge of his duty. Permit me at the same time to express my own sympathy and to assure you that you have that of the entire Navy.
(Signed) WILLIAM H. MOODY, Secretary.
NAVY DEPARTMENT. Washington, June 9, 1904.
To Brigadier General Thomas Ward, United States Army: Sir: The Department is in receipt of a report from the commanding officer of the Missouri, referring to the accident in the after turret of the vessel on April I3th last, in which it is stated that J. W. McDade, ordinary seaman, the one living witness to the occurrence said in conversation with Midshipman Ward's messmates, that when the explosion took place he remembers Midshipman Ward rushed over to the door of the twelfth magazine in which he (McDade) was at the time and gave some order about the magazine, but what he said he could not hear and consequently he made no mention of it before the court.
He further stated that at the instant the flame enveloped all and that young Ward fell and lost his life at the door of the magazine (see note).
Upon further questioning by the commanding officer, McDade stated that while he remembered Midshipman Ward rushing over to the magazine door, he did not hear what he said.
The letter concludes :
Believing the Department should know every detail officially as to how those died who lost their lives at their posts of duty, this incident shows that Midshipman Ward was himself alive to the fact of the very great danger, rushed at once, closed the magazine door and saved the ship.
I communicate this to you with sincere sympathy, believing that it will help to relieve your sorrow; to know your son's unhesitating faithfulness to his duty at the cost of his life.
A copy of this letter will be placed with Midshipman Ward's record in the Navy Department, and another copy will be sent to the Commander- in-Chief, North American Fleet, for publication to the fleet, and to be read on the quarter deck of the United States Ship Missouri at muster.
I have the honor to remain, Your very respectfully,
(Signed) WILUAM H. MOODY, Secretary.
In 1910 the class of 1903 placed in Bancroft Hall, Annapolis, a tablet inscribed as follows:
IN MEMORIAM To THOMAS WARD and WM. E. T. NEUMANN United States Navy Class of 1903 They died April 13, 1904, as a Result of an Explosion in the after turret of the U. S. S. Missouri during
record target practice
while in the performance of duty.
ERECTED BY THEIR CLASSMATES.
NOTE. — The door of the magazine was so built as to open outward and downward to the floor, turning upon a hinge at the base. Young Ward undoubtedly threw the door up, as it was reported at the time that the fingers of the man saved in the magazine were injured as the door closed upon him.

[Source: "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY OF NEW YORK" • A Life Record of Men and Women of the Past Whose Sterling Character and Energy and Industry Have Made Them Pre-eminent in Their Own and Many Other States, BY CHARLES ELLIOTT FITCH, L. H. D. American Historical Society, New York, 1916 p. 200 – 204. Submitted by Robyn Greenlund] 



Morgan L. SMITH
Smith, Morgan L., brigadier-general, was born in the state of New York, and in early manhood, on July 19, 1845, he joined the United States regular army, in which he served five years. For some reason or other he enlisted under the name of Martin L. San-ford, and as such his name appears upon the rolls, as private, corporal and sergeant. After retiring from the regular army service he located in Missouri where he was living at the time of the outbreak of the Civil war. On July 4, 1861, he was commissioned colonel of the 8th Mo. infantry, which, before its organization was complete, was called upon to suppress the guerrillas engaged in committing depredations along the line of the North Missouri railroad, defeating them in the vicinity of St. Charles and Mexico. On July 29 he left St. Louis with his regiment and on Sept. 7 landed at Paducah, Ky., where he remained until the following February and then joined the forces moving against Forts Henry and Donelson. Fort Henry had surrendered before the regiment arrived, but at Donelson the regiment and its colonel behaved in a gallant manner, assisting in the repulse of the enemy when he attempted to cut his way out. Col. Smith was in some of the heaviest fighting at Shiloh on the second day of that battle, then participated in the advance upon Corinth, and while in that vicinity, on July 16, 1862, he was commissioned brigadier-general of volunteers. He continued to serve in that capacity until the close of the war, rendering faithful and meritorious service, and on July 12, 1865, he resigned his commission and took up the threads of civil life. He died on Dec. 29, 1874.  [Source: The Union Army, Volume VIII, Biographical, Federal Publishing Co., 1908. Transcribed by Elle DeJarnet]
 


BACK -- HOME



Copyright © Genealogy Trails