The Baptist church in Hastings was first organized at the house of Nathan Raymond on August 25, 1826, and was duly recog nized by Council at a school house in West Monroe on September 20 of the same year, the original members being Charles Smedley, Nathan and Maria Raymond, Stephen Richmond, Ferrin B. Wheelan, Abigail Russell, Cordelia Fuller, and Rachel Merchant. Elder G. B. Davis gave the hand of fellowship. Meetings were held in various places, princi pally at Central Square and Caughdenoy, until 1842, when a church edifice was built at the last named village and dedicated by Rev. Peter Woodin. On June 30, 1849, the church formally disbanded. The Baptist church of Central Square was organized by Rev. Peter Woodin on June 14, 1845, and duly recognized by Council on the 25th of the same month. There were twenty-two constituent members with Philip Carter as deacon and T. H. Waterbury as clerk. A frame edi ﬁce was built in 1846 and dedicated December 18 of that year. Th8 institution of this church was mainly due to the persistent labors of Rev. Peter Woodin, the ﬁrst pastor, who remained until 1850, Whﬂl hﬁ went to California and organized a Baptist church there He returned to Central Square in May, 1852, and served as pastor of this church until April 1, 1872, when he resigned, being succeeded by Rev. D. D Owen. He was a man greatly respected and possessed rare executive ability. The society has about 115 members and property valued at $3,000. Mrs. J. P. Dix is superintendent of the Sunday school.
A Freewill Baptist church was organized at Carley's Mills in I832 with the following members: David Linsley, Mr. Cotton, Peter Carr, Mary Carr, Mrs. Delaney Ostrum, William Nutling, and Joseph Maford. Joseph Maford was elected the ﬁrst deacon; he after wards became a preacher. when Mr. Burrows and Mr. Perine were chosen deacons. Meetings are held in the school house.
A Methodist class was formed at Hastings Center about 1825, and consisted of William Ford and wife, Richard Ford, Truman and Daniel Wooster, and others. About 1833 another class was organized at Mallory, to which forty or ﬁfty members were added during a revival in 1842. In 1851 a church was erected and dedicated there, the ﬁrst trustees being Titus Bowe, David Baird, and Titus Bowe, jr. A Sun day school was organized about 1841, of which Milton Flowers was long the superintendent. About 1850 the Methodists of Caughdenoy purchased the old Bap tist church, which they used until 1881, when they moved it back. lt is now occupied as a store. On the old site a new ediﬁce was erectcd in 1881-2, under the pastorate of Rev. G. G. Dains, at a cost of $2900 The class has about ﬁfty members and is under the leadership of Har vey A. Youmans. A Methodist class was formed at Central Square about 1830, and in 1846 a house of worship was built at a cost of $1,000. This society has about sixty members and is connected with the Caughdenoy charge. Rev. C. W. Brooks being the pastor. A class was organized in School District No 5 at an early date and reorganized in 1874 with ﬁfteen members The Methodist pastors have been as follows: Revs. Anson Fuller, assisted by Joseph Cross; Lewis Bell, assisted by John 'l‘hoﬂlP' son; Truman Van Tassel, assisted by Isaac Covert : Isaac Hall, C. C. Mason, Auzusllﬁﬁ C. Munson, Alonzo Chapin, Joseph Smedley, William Peck, Daniel Barnard, William Morse, Thomas D. Mitchell, Isaac Turney, Francis A. C. Farrell, Dennison D Parker, Reuben Reynolds, Horatio Arthur, Silas Bell, Nathaniel Salisbury, David Stone, Hiram Nichols, William B. Joice, Henry S, Holmes, E. Arnold, R. O. Beebe, R. Webster, W. F. Brown, Charles E. Beebe, W. S. Titus. G. G. Dains, A. E. Gorse, D E. Marvin, jr., H. M. (Thurch, A. M. Child S. M. Crofoot, R. F. Whipple, and W. Brooks.
A Wesleyan Methodist church ﬂourished at Central Square for several years, built a house of worship, and disbanded during the war. The old ediﬁce is now private property and is used for town meetings and other like purposes.
A Methodist Protestant Church was organized with twenty members at Bardeen's Corners in I868. The ﬁrst pastor was Rev. Charles Beardsley and the ﬁrst class leader was Horace Ladd.
The First Presbyterian church of Central Square was organized May 20, I828, by Revs. Oliver Ayer, Oliver Leavitt, and others, with twelve members, viz.: Daniel Webster, Julia Ann Webster, Jotham Goodspeed and Rebeocs his wife, David Lockwood, Rollin Blunt, Lucy Allen, Christopher Hyde and wIte,Florn Durfee, and Nabby Porter. Messrs. Webster and Goodspeed were selected as ruling elders, and Mr. Goodspeed as deacon. On October I0, I835, William Jay deeded to Daniel Wadsworth, Caleb Case, and J. J. Coit, as trustees of the First Presbyterian Church and Society of Hastings, ﬁfty-seven acres of subdivision 7, lot 5, for the promoting of gospel worship. The membership of the church de creased and on June I4, I856, their last regular meeting was held. J. J. Coit, as the sole remaining trustee, cared for the property and divided the revenue among the various denominations represented in town until I874, when he sold it and invested the proceeds in U. S. bonds, which he transferred to the trustees of the Presbytery of Syracuse, by whom they are now held.
A Presbyterian church was organized at Hastings a few years ago and the corner stone of a house of worship was laid on September 30, I888. The structure was completed and dedicated January 3|, I889. The structure was completed and dedicated January 3|, I889. Aaron Benson and Dr. R. J. Dimon are the ruling elders, Dr. Dimon being also church clerk.
A French Catholic church was instituted at Little France a few years since, and a church edifice erected, to accommodate the French Catholics of that community.
Copyright � Genealogy Trails