Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Oswego County
New York
Genealogy and History





MISCELLANEOUS NEWS STORIES

Weygint, B.T.
B.T. Weygint, who was the first man to establish a cheese factory in the now great cheese county of Oswego, New York, seven years ago, the past week moved out to Turner county with quite a colony of kindred and will go into the same business in Dakota if there is encouragement.
[Source: St. Paul Daily Globe, St. Paul, MN, April 2, 1887]

"That Sage Up South"  (By Eugene E. Wicks) published Wednesday Oct. 26, 1932 in unknown newspaper.  This article was found in my grandmother's papers.  The Political situation at home is changing some.  1 thing Mother is weakening a littin in her firm stand for Mr. Hoover.  We both agree that neither party measures up to our ideals.  We both remain firm for law enforcement and the Eighteenth Amendment.  We are wondering how the good ladies of the W. C. T. U. and other temperance people can vote for candidates on election day who declare that they will do all in their power to repeals the Amendment.  (The Eighteenth Amendment to the constitution did not prohibit drinking just the sale, manufacture, and transportation of alcoholic beverages.)  It begins to look as though the only way out is to vote the third party ticket or remain at home.  Mother often harks back to the old days of long ago when the struggle for a meager existence was much harder than it is to-day.  My wife's mother also often tells that folks don't know anything about hard times now-a-days.  She says that when they used to have to dig up a stump to plant a hill of potatoes "them was hard times."  Her grandfather, Linus Butler, was one of the pioneer settlers of Onondaga Hill  . Her father married an moved out on the north shore of Oneida Lae,  where he built a long house and cleared the forest for a farm....Hector Butler served to the end of the war, then returned to the old farm home near West Monroe to spend the rest of his life.

Harbor Bay Took Name from Wreck.  The schooner “Grampus” went Ashore Under Fort Ontario in Fall of 1846.  Speculation along the waterfront always has been rife as to the origin of the name of Grampus Bay, that cove lying west of the embankment of Fort Ontario, on the Oswego River. It is perhaps the oldest part of the harbor in use for it was a natural place of shelter from the winds and waves of Lake Ontario through the original bar at the river mouth. No ocean aquatic monster ever blew water skyward there but instead, the Bay took the name from a small Canadian schooner called the Grampus. In the late autumn of 1846, a schooner in distress was seen 10 miles off the harbor, and a small steamer dispatched to her aid. She was the Grampus, laden with heavy timbers, and when taken into the harbor, was placed on the shipways of George S. Weeks and overhauled. Captain Young re-loaded his timber cargo, all heavy stuff, and moored his vessel to a west side river dock. Then, with evening coming on he went uptown to spend the hours until he could get away. "A social evening" the newspapers of the time reported, but while wassail or whatnot prevailed so did old Boreas and a tremendous northwester rose during the night and the Grampus was swept across the river and high and dry on the shore beneath the for, with other ships that felt the fury of the blast. The others were hauled off, but the Grampus was beyond salvage and the ship and her timber cargo remained for seven or eight years, until it became a matter of habit for Oswego water-front habitues to refer to the cove as Grampus Bay. And Grampus Bay it is 99 years after the little ship there took the ground.  (Source:  Oswego Palladium-Times (Oswego, NY), Nov. 20, 1945)

 

 

 



HOME
Newspaper Gleanings



Copyright Genealogy Trails